homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Just Wars? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Just Wars?
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Teapot:
I can have sympathy for someone dragged so far into darkness that they turn to this path and I can understand what has lead them there, without supporting them. Similarly I can have the same approach to Nazi germany and the US/UK/USSR etc.

Now you seem to be comparing the UK and US with suicide bombers as well as the Nazis! Oh dear.

I think I'll opt out at this point, if that's ok.

--------------------
'When ideas fail, words come in very handy' ~ Goethe

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
FiliusSyon
Shipmate
# 10722

- Posted      Profile for FiliusSyon   Author's homepage   Email FiliusSyon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Often, but not always, the reason for suicide bombers is "as you sow, so shall you reap".....especially for Zion (Israel is a people, not a state) who have learned much from their Nazi oppressors.... Not a "I support them" but an "I understand how they are made".

I think that comparision of the State of Israel with the Nazis is quite repulsive, no matter how heavy-handed some of the Israli techiques are.

--------------------
----
"It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled sea of thought."
- John K. Galbraith

Posts: 220 | From: Vienna, Austria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
FiliusSyon
Shipmate
# 10722

- Posted      Profile for FiliusSyon   Author's homepage   Email FiliusSyon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry. I cited the wrong post. The citation should read:
quote:
Often, but not always, the reason for suicide bombers is "as you sow, so shall you reap".....especially for Zion (Israel is a people, not a state) who have learned much from their Nazi oppressors.... Not a "I support them" but an "I understand how they are made".

--------------------
----
"It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled sea of thought."
- John K. Galbraith

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

- Posted      Profile for Teapot     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FiliusSyon:
quote:

I think that comparision of the State of Israel with the Nazis is quite repulsive, no matter how heavy-handed some of the Israli techiques are.
Their tactics go well beyond heavy-handed Filius.

--------------------
No I am NOT short and stout! But I will be happy to accept one of each at a pub :)

Posts: 608 | From: In a shrubbery! | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
FiliusSyon
Shipmate
# 10722

If they had "learned" from the Nazis, I doubt there would still be any Palestinian people to speak of.

--------------------
----
- John K. Galbraith

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

- Posted      Profile for Teapot     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even Zion could not get away with that so blatantly....

--------------------
No I am NOT short and stout! But I will be happy to accept one of each at a pub :)

FiliusSyon
Shipmate
# 10722

Now what is that supposed to mean, please? Are you saying they would eradicate the Palestinians, given the chance?

--------------------
----
- John K. Galbraith

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Ah, that would be just, but is it wise?

A thing that was learned by the U.S. in Vietnam/Somalia and Russia in Afghanistan is that for a war to be wise it needs a few things:

1. A clear mission objective.
2. Overwhelming Force
3. An exit strategy.

Well, in the light of recent events I find it highly doubtful that the US has indeed learned this "wisdom". However, the question is anyway what sort of "wisdom" we are talking about here. Maybe your wisdom is nothing but "prudent calculation of advantage". Can it be wisdom in a Christian sense to leave something as evil as the LRA in existence? Or do we have to combat such an evil no matter what? Anyway, I'm being personally hypocritical since I wouldn't raise my arm as volunteer...

quote:
Not so. "Just war" theory deals with the time prior to war, jus ad bellum, the conduct of the war, jus in bello and more recently has been extended to include actions after the war just post bellum.

All of which, of course, have been discussed in my post. [Roll Eyes] Nevertheless, the typical Aquinas-type "Just War" tick list that always gets cited concerns the decision to go to war or not (and possibly when to end it), that is, it is applied prior to the war. Obviously, we can discuss justice during and after the war as well. Which is what I did.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The option for america was dropping a bomb off the tokyo coast so everyone could see it, then saying "we have another and all your cities are made of wood and all your children will burn, now stop this foolishness an meet us for peace". Instead they chose to nuke 1000s of families, twice. A state that does that has embraced something VERY dark indeed.

My goodness how optimistic (and incorrect) you are. For you see history says you are wrong. The Japanese military did not give up even after they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and the emporer himself had to intervene to stop the war even after the second bombing.

You seem to be short on solutions and long on blind ideology here.

You don't do math:
quote:
Decency is not a numbers game to be calculated by accountants Geo.

You don't do hypotheticals:
quote:
Sorry, I dont do hypotheticals....I would have to decide at the time based upon what the aims were.

So how exactly do you create a cogent opinion and justify it Teapot? Ouija Board? Just proclaiming you are holy while saying that I am apparently morally bankrupt while you seem to be prepared to sacrifice millions to save 10s of thousands doesn't cut it down here in Purg (or in the real world for that matter).

P.S. Nicolmrw, good links.

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Ah, that would be just, but is it wise?

A thing that was learned by the U.S. in Vietnam/Somalia and Russia in Afghanistan is that for a war to be wise it needs a few things:

1. A clear mission objective.
2. Overwhelming Force
3. An exit strategy.

Well, in the light of recent events I find it highly doubtful that the US has indeed learned this "wisdom". However, the question is anyway what sort of "wisdom" we are talking about here. Maybe your wisdom is nothing but "prudent calculation of advantage". Can it be wisdom in a Christian sense to leave something as evil as the LRA in existence? Or do we have to combat such an evil no matter what? Anyway, I'm being personally hypocritical since I wouldn't raise my arm as volunteer...

I will answer my post even though it was attributed to Chapelhead [Big Grin]

On Iraq, I would agree that we are lacking in number 3, however, the year is young even if this president is a halfwit.

You are bringing in two seperate topics as I see it. There is 1) the religious perspective and yes from that perspective it would certainly be just to kill of the LRA IMHO. Then there is 2) the State perspective and in that case it would be just also, but not practical, and in States practicality does matter. The only time a State should combat evil is when it is in the best interests of the people of that State to do so, since it is the people of that State that will be dying for the cause.

--------------------

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would suggest reading "the Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes, before you go on making all these claims about who did what to whom while ignoring provable fact.

Yes, the Germans had a plan to develop an atomic bomb, but a) didn't have enough material to work with and b) what little they had was taken out by British raids on the heavy water plant in Norway, among other things.

Yes, many (mostly Jewish) German scientists came to the US as a result of a) Germany driving them out and b) Einstein and others asking for them to come.

Yes, the Japanese had the theory of the bomb worked out, but didn't have the capability to build one.

Yes, the Americans could have dropped just one bomb, but they a) had two different types to test and b) wanted a quick resolution, which the first bomb didn't quite do. And, yes, The Emperor overrode the militarists and asked for a peace settlement.

And Truman did agonise over the decision, but felt in the end that the use of the bomb was the lesser of two evils. Moral fine points don't work against fanatics, such as the kamikaze (who were a real threat, not just some video game)

Wars aren't purely John Wayne riding into town and saving the girl- someone gets killed when there is gunplay, whatever the gun nuts like to think. The guys killed fighting for/against Franco in 1936 are just as dead as the guys killed by Donald Rumsfeld's arms dealing in recent history.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

I got my sources for my posts, or were you talking to someone else?

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
The Japanese military did not give up even after they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and the emporer himself had to intervene to stop the war even after the second bombing.

So the bombs had very little effect on the military……and instead relied on the influence of one person….maybe they could have tried influencing him in a way that did not involve slaughtering 100s 0f 1000s of civilians.

quote:
So how exactly do you create a cogent opinion and justify it Teapot? Ouija Board?
By looking at the situation at the time instead of making sweeping statements that fail to take account of situational nuances.

quote:
Just proclaiming you are holy while saying that I am apparently morally bankrupt while you seem to be prepared to sacrifice millions to save 10s of thousands doesn't cut it down here in Purg (or in the real world for that matter).
By the time of Hiroshima Japan was no threat to anyone. It was pursued to unconditional surrender on its home soil for vengeance.

[ 05. January 2006, 07:47: Message edited by: Teapot ]

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...maybe they could have tried influencing him in a way that did not involve slaughtering 100s 0f 1000s of civilians....

What a good idea. I bet they never thought of that. I bet nobody even paused for a moment to consider if there way to do it without slaughter, such was the darkness their souls had embraced.

It seems to me you do do hypotheticals. You've done a hypothetical to disagree with the concept of a just war. You now want to argue each situation out to prove your prior hypothetical.

Then you'll agree that just fighting exists - but avoid answering the question on just war by saying you don't do hypotheticals.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
you don't do hypotheticals.

I dont do "what if" looking at the future Mdijon.

quote:
What a good idea. I bet they never thought of that. I bet nobody even paused for a moment to consider if there way to do it without slaughter, such was the darkness their souls had embraced.
Considering they used nukes TWICE and on CIVILIAN cities, in order to get Japan to surrender UNCONDITIONALLY to a country who still thought it right to beat up black guys for drinking from the wrong fountain....no I would hazard a guess that "nobody even paused for a moment to consider if there way to do it without slaughter, such was the darkness their souls had embraced" is a very accurate description.

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The Japanese military did not give up even after they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and the emporer himself had to intervene to stop the war even after the second bombing.

So the bombs had very little effect on the military……and instead relied on the influence of one person….maybe they could have tried influencing him in a way that did not involve slaughtering 100s 0f 1000s of civilians.

Teapot, with respect, this is even more far-fetched than suggesting Churchill could have interfered in Switzerland's decision to remain neutral (as you did earlier). I'd suggest you read up on Japanese culture and history prior to WW2, not to mention the history of the decision to bomb in the first place. Warnings and options to surrender had already been transmitted to the Emporer before the first bomb was ever dropped.

I can't remember if the Emporer lived beyond his decision to surrender or did he commit suicide? (I can't spell the Japanese term)

--------------------

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
FiliusSyon
Shipmate
# 10722

The emperor lived and abdicated in his position as the son of the sun godess. Btw the proper word would be sepuku, LittleLady. "Harakiri" is usually not used , as it is considered undignified(literally means "belly-cutting").

--------------------
----
- John K. Galbraith

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Considering they used nukes TWICE and on CIVILIAN cities, in order to get Japan to surrender UNCONDITIONALLY to a country who still thought it right to beat up black guys for drinking from the wrong fountain....no I would hazard a guess that "nobody even paused for a moment to consider if there way to do it without slaughter, such was the darkness their souls had embraced" is a very accurate description.

Using that kind of reasoning, Japan was "a country that raped, killed and murdered civilians and prisoners"

You've still not answered clearly whether you believe in a just war, and, if not, what the difference between fighting and a war is.

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Originally posted by FiliusSyon:
The emperor lived and abdicated in his position as the son of the sun godess. Btw the proper word would be sepuku, LittleLady. "Harakiri" is usually not used , as it is considered undignified(literally means "belly-cutting").

Thank you, FiliusSyon. I had totally forgotten what happened to him.

And I would have been unable to spell either term! [Smile]

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Littlelady:
quote:
These things were not done by the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. That is a strange sense of justice to punish those who had nothing to do with the act.

The same could be said about the residents of London, Liverpool, and the other towns and cities in Britain that were hit by the Nazis, over and over again.
I realise that there is a widespread human belief that if you have been sinned against that entitles you to sin as much as you want.

So people think that just because the Israeli Army have bulldozed your home/ Hamas has sent suicide bombers to kill your relatives, that entitles you to kill Israeli children/ kill Palestinian children.

I suppose it works something like this:

What they did proves that They are Evil.
We oppose them.
Therefore We are Good.
Therefore, anything we do is Good because We are Good.

I do not think it is a valid principle in Christian ethics however. Furthermore, I think Christian ethics includes the principle that we shall not do evil even so that good may come.

Dafyd

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
Using that kind of reasoning, Japan was "a country that raped, killed and murdered civilians and prisoners"

My point was there was a lot of darkness on each side and neither fought for a just cause. It was King Kong vrs Godzilla. Two monsters fighting….whoever wins, it’s a monster.

quote:
You've still not answered clearly whether you believe in a just war, and, if not, what the difference between fighting and a war is.
Fighting is an action; it can be justifiable in extremis. War is fighting that has momentum and anything that gains momentum can easily roll over the innocent and threatening alike.

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
quote:
These things were not done by the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. That is a strange sense of justice to punish those who had nothing to do with the act.

The same could be said about the residents of London, Liverpool, and the other towns and cities in Britain that were hit by the Nazis, over and over again.
I realise that there is a widespread human belief that if you have been sinned against that entitles you to sin as much as you want.

That may be the case, but please don't include me in that, because that isn't what I was saying at all. I was responding to Teapot's point, and no more.

I don't perceive what Britain did - declaring war on the Nazis when they invaded Poland - as being evil. I never will see it like that. Entrenched in my view am I. I don't see it as non-Christian either; there is nothing in the Bible to say that we must let people get slaughtered and look the other way. That may be Jesus' instruction to us, as individuals, in response to aggression against us, as individuals; but not when it comes to other people.

Coming to the aid of an ally is not evil; defending our own people against attack (which was not going to go away through negotiation - that had been tried) is not evil. imo.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Fighting is an action; it can be justifiable in extremis. War is fighting that has momentum and anything that gains momentum can easily roll over the innocent and threatening alike.

Could a nation not be in extremis? Individuals fighting would not have saved the Rwandan Tutsis.

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
quote:

Could a nation not be in extremis? Individuals fighting would not have saved the Rwandan Tutsis.
I wonder something. Could the outside world have done anything to stop this? I heard at the time there were indicators that things were heating up, but 'no-one' took the situation on board. Often America et al are criticised for intervening militarily in situations external to their own national boundaries, but would this have been an exception? It's hypothetical, I know, because the slaughter happened. But, well, I just wonder.

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
quote:

A nation, like a corporation, is not really a person, no matter how many laws claim otherwise so a nation cannot be in extremis. If you need to fight, fight, and constantly evaluate what you are fighting for, rather than get sucked into a "war" which is a construct into which fighting fits but which is treated as if it has goals of its own as a cover for abuses.

--------------------

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

I'm sure that the Jewish "nation" would really appreciate their view on their corporate-ness as the walked toward the gas chamber. I'm sure that the Nazi's would have loved for the Allies to fight as individuals to fight as sole-in-extremis units so that they could be easily slaughtered since they were not a corporate body. I am sure that Japan, would have loved the same siutuation so that they could preserve the culture intact that led up to half the war in the first place.

Somehow I suspect that when it came to working out a peaceful resolution that you would be happy for the U.N. to step in as a fictitious agent (i.e. Corporation) and solve all the wars of the world.

So far your way would have resulted in Japan retaining its raping, invading, horrific culture (at that time) and probably resulted in more individuals in extremis. Your way would have resulted in Nazis holding on to the conquered lands since the french (At that time) couldn't fight their way out of a shoebox. Your way does not take into account that individuals such as Hitler and corporate bodies such as the military in charge of Japan have inertia and sometimes will not stop until faced with thier own destruction by whatever means necessary. For you see that during WWII the only way to strike at the brains was to roll through the civilians. It wasn't like now where we could sen a cruise missile in to hit a 2 foot square anywhere on the earth.

I (like others) strongly recommend you read up on the culture of Japan during the time of WWII and try not to think in terms of how you would have liked for them to be instead of how they actually were. Interestingly while history is often written by the victors, the Japanese and Germans have many many writings on why and how their respective countries went bad. They certainly are not the "victor". Of course the Japanese still to this day have problems admitting their sins as well, which says something about how their mindset was and is.

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
I (like others) strongly recommend you read up on the culture of Japan during the time of WWII and try not to think in terms of how you would have liked for them to be instead of how they actually were.

This makes no sense. I have repeatedly agree that darkness was well entrenched ON ALL SIDES. Yet you appear to be suggesting, in saying “read up on the culture of Japan during the time of WWII and try not to think in terms of how you would have liked for them to be instead of how they actually were”, that I said that this was not the case.

quote:
Of course the Japanese still to this day have problems admitting their sins as well, which says something about how their mindset was and is.
As do the English (for Dresden – Bomber Harris’ statue remains) and the Americans (for Hiroshima and Nagasaki). It is a fond deceit to think of your country being on the side of decency in any war….but a deceit it remains in this matter.

You can claim nuking two civilians cities was a lesser evil than the raping of nanking till you are blue in the face, but evil remains evil.

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
quote:
I (like others) strongly recommend you read up on the culture of Japan during the time of WWII and try not to think in terms of how you would have liked for them to be instead of how they actually were.

This makes no sense. I have repeatedly agree that darkness was well entrenched ON ALL SIDES.
And me and Mad Geo are disagreeing with you. That is the point. You are claiming the allies were as dark as the Nazis and the Japanese (at that time). We are contesting that, and suggesting that you read to inform yourself of your mistake.

I do not, and never will, believe that the British, Americans, Australians, Poles, Czecs, New Zealanders, Africans, Indians, Canadians, free French, Belgians, and all others who comprised "the allies" were at any time guilty of the darkness perpetrated by the Nazis and the Japanese (of that time), regardless of what happened after WW2 ended (which was the initial justification you gave for your view) or how the war itself ended.

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
quote:
quote:

This makes no sense. I have repeatedly agree that darkness was well entrenched ON ALL SIDES.
And me and Mad Geo are disagreeing with you. That is the point. You are claiming the allies were as dark as the Nazis and the Japanese (at that time). We are contesting that, and suggesting that you read to inform yourself of your mistake.

I do not, and never will, believe that the British, Americans, Australians, Poles, Czecs, New Zealanders, Africans, Indians, Canadians, free French, Belgians, and all others who comprised "the allies" were at any time guilty of the darkness perpetrated by the Nazis and the Japanese (of that time), regardless of what happened after WW2 ended (which was the initial justification you gave for your view) or how the war itself ended.

Then we shall have to agree to disagree as I see a different aspect of darkness in the side that brought you bombing dresden that compared to coventry, boming two civilian japanese cities with nukes, ignored the plight of the holocaust victims rather than give away that enigma was broken, had (in the US) criminally abusive race oppression, and went on to bring you such wonders as "greed is good" as the social mantra, an economy dependent on keeping the third world in povety/drawing on sweatshops for its luxuries and "lets sell arms to anyone" as their "defence policy".

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki have been mentioned repeatedly here, I haven't noticed any reference to the intense fire-bombing of Japan. This was a bit of history I was completely unaware of until I saw "The Fog of War." A quick trip to Wikipedia turned up this:

quote:
Precise figures are not available but the firebombing and nuclear bombing campaign against Japan, directed by LeMay between March, 1945 and the Japanese surrender in August, 1945, may have killed more than one million Japanese civilians. Official estimates from the United States Strategic Bombing Survey put the figures at 330,000 people killed, 476,000 injured, 8.5 million people made homeless and 2.5 million buildings destroyed. Nearly half the built-up areas of sixty-four cities were totally destroyed.
Source: Curtis LeMay's Entry in Wikipedia

WWII seems to be the favorite example of a just war, but information like this has made it harder and harder for me to believe that "just war" isn't an oxymoron. OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to double-post but, I was excessively affected by the quote above, and neglected to add an additional point. From the Wiki article cited, "Roosevelt and Truman justified these tactics by referring to an estimate that one million American troops would be killed if Japan had to be invaded." leo very helpfully posted 4 points to define a just war, which included "4. The cost of fighting must not outweigh the cost of not fighting (Prudential judgement) - consequences." When determining the cost of fighting, does one include the costs on BOTH sides, or only the cost to one's own side? I know that seems like an unbelievably dense question, but I want to make sure I understand. Thanks, OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We seem to be having a round of two (or more) sides of an argument repeating themselves, possibly in the hope that someone will get tired and go away.

Lets try again. In 1939, there were "good" reasons for the allies of the British to go to war. These were the reasons that caused the volunteers to sign up, despite the evidence of WW1. In the course of fighting the war. many "bad" things were done by the Allies, but it is arguable that the relative badness was not as bad as what the Germans (in particular) were doing. In the actual process of the war itself, I'm not sure that you can say either side was "worse", but the activities of the Germans and their quislings in relation to the subject peoples were clearly "worse".

Similarly, the Americans are not totally guilt-free in the run-up to the war, but they were justified in their actions during the war. The bombings of Japan pushed that limit and may have broken it. But you wouldn't have had such a large force of volunteers coming out of a "neutralist" country if the cause had been innately bad. And the actions of the Japanese in relation to the prisoners and subject races were clearly "more bad" than anything the Allies did.

So: WW2 had some aspects of a "just" war, but war in its nature can never be just as a whole. This is why the whole discussion exists.

Can we move on to something more useful than a repetition? No-one is going to win this argument, any more than anyone actually "wins" a war.

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Can we move on to something more useful than a repetition? No-one is going to win this argument, any more than anyone actually "wins" a war.

Indeed [Frown]

The thing about WWII is that, as a fight against the Nazi's tis often brought up as the closest thing to a just war when it is a lot more complicated than "the guys in the white hats vrs the nasty nazis".

But yeah...2 different view so lets move on....

Are there any other candidates for a "just" war?

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:

So: WW2 had some aspects of a "just" war, but war in its nature can never be just as a whole.

Thanks, Horseman Bree, for stating so clearly what I've been struggling with for so long. [Overused] Cheers, OliviaG

--------------------

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

quote:

Are there any other candidates for a "just" war?

Yes, I would venture that Afghanistan was a Just War. We went in to remove a regime that harbored the people that led 9-11. The regime was clearly morally bankrupt and as aweful to its own citizens as it was to ours. The mission was accomplished in such a way as to minimize damage to civilians. Notably, very notably, there has been virtually no insurgency after the fact AND the allies have been asked to continue its presence as a military protector there, which is a pretty good indicator that the people of Afghanistan were not disappointed with the outcome of the Just War.

Now of course, because the U.S. and other involved have problems, are not saintly, and therefore will surely not measure up to the Teapot School of War Theory this will also be debated.

I thought about this use of Segregation etc. as a justification for not conducting war and realized that whole argument is also absurd. It is the expectation that the argument is, because we do not have Heaven on earth then we will deny that hell (Taliban and Axis Powers) can be dealt with on earth, through war, by the people that are trying their best to do the right thing. As opposed to the people (i.e. Taliban and Axis powers) that are actively trying to do the wrong thing.

Just because the U.S., EU, NATO, wahtever do not have it perfect does not mean we can't use force to try to stop others from making it worse.

Just because we are human does not mean we should stop trying to slay demons.

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
Notably, very notably, there has been virtually no insurgency after the fact AND the allies have been asked to continue its presence as a military protector there, which is a pretty good indicator that the people of Afghanistan were not disappointed with the outcome of the Just War.

Especially the opium poppy growers it seems, as production is up (http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,1284,1143881,00.html )….and the women are still second class citizens (if that - http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/afghanistan/ ).

quote:
the expectation that the argument is, because we do not have Heaven on earth then we will deny that hell (Taliban and Axis Powers) can be dealt with on earth, through war, by the people that are trying their best to do the right thing.
“seek ye first the kingdom of heaven” as you cannot deny hell except by the coming of the kingdom.

quote:
Just because we are human does not mean we should stop trying to slay demons.
Slaying demons is no guarantee of removal of demons; first check its not a demon doing the slaying…..

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
Yes, I would venture that Afghanistan was a Just War. We went in to remove a regime that harbored the people that led 9-11. The regime was clearly morally bankrupt and as aweful to its own citizens as it was to ours.

Two good points lead me to two questions. As I recall, the US asked Afghanistan to hand over any 9-11 suspects, and Afghanistan refused. Hence the invasion. Assuming I've got that right, since the invasion, have there been any arrests, trials or convictions connected with 9-11 of suspects captured in Afghanistan?

My second question is why was it not worth invading Afghanistan, BEFORE 9-11, if it was such an awful regime? There were 14 million women suffering under the rule of the Taliban*, but to cynical me, it looks like that wasn't anyone's problem until thousands of Americans were killed.

Cheers, OliviaG

*I'm embarrassed to admit that, of all things, I was also really bitter about the Buddhas. If you see my sense of perspective anywhere, let me know. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Now of course, because the U.S. and other involved have problems, are not saintly, and therefore will surely not measure up to the Teapot School of War Theory this will also be debated.

[Killing me]

I'm quite sure, to some, 9/11 was no justification whatsoever for Afghanistan. I would agree, however, that Afghanistan was a just war, especially given the attempts to avoid civilian casualties (not 100% proof but at least the intention was to be 100% proof).

Iraq, however, isn't in the same league. I have to confess to considering the notion of removing Sadam as being just, given what he did to his own people, but it just seems to have all gone so horribly wrong, which is a real shame and so sad for those Iraqis who longed to be free and in charge of their own country's destiny. Having said that, perhaps civil war is an awful but necessary part of their destiny? It's been a part of British history and American history and French history (and many histories).

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
There were 14 million women suffering under the rule of the Taliban*, but to cynical me, it looks like that wasn't anyone's problem until thousands of Americans were killed.

Um, sorry to be pedantic, but didn't something like 50 nations lose nationals as a result of 9/11? I think we in the UK lost about 200. I'm quite sure Canada lost some people also. It wasn't just Americans: far from it.

I don't think anyone would have attempted to invade Afghanistan without 9/11, not least because of its history. To begin with, both Britain and Russia attempted to do just that in previous lives and both withdrew due to the hostile reception and hostile environment. Also, America (and possibly other nations, I don't know) had originally 'assisted' the Taliban into power (I believe during the days of the Russian occupation). On top of that there is the issue of the legality of invading for the purpose of regime change.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't think of any just war. Oddly, although I execrate Mrs Thatcher and all her works, the Falklands War was pretty close to being just.

I don't think the Falklands War was a matter of last resort, so it fails there. This was presumably because Margaret Thatcher's motivations were to become popular and win an election; however, her motivations are not her intentions - and her intentions were just in that the military actions undertaken was aimed at reclaiming the Falklands and at no more. The sinking of the Belgrano was wrong but far worse crimes have been committed in other wars. I suppose that one of the consequences of the war was keeping Margaret Thatcher in power, but I cannot expect her to have agreed with me that that was bad.

Dafyd

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

So in Teapotland, if you had 999 humans and a demon on one side, and 1000 demons on another than the 999 humans should not kill the thousand demons for fear of the one in their midst, and be slain by the 1000. Yeah that makes sense.

Oh wait, I forgot, you don't want to have to do the math. My apologies.

quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
quote:
Yes, I would venture that Afghanistan was a Just War. We went in to remove a regime that harbored the people that led 9-11. The regime was clearly morally bankrupt and as aweful to its own citizens as it was to ours.

Two good points lead me to two questions. As I recall, the US asked Afghanistan to hand over any 9-11 suspects, and Afghanistan refused. Hence the invasion. Assuming I've got that right, since the invasion, have there been any arrests, trials or convictions connected with 9-11 of suspects captured in Afghanistan?

My second question is why was it not worth invading Afghanistan, BEFORE 9-11, if it was such an awful regime? There were 14 million women suffering under the rule of the Taliban*, but to cynical me, it looks like that wasn't anyone's problem until thousands of Americans were killed.

Cheers, OliviaG

*I'm embarrassed to admit that, of all things, I was also really bitter about the Buddhas. If you see my sense of perspective anywhere, let me know. [Hot and Hormonal]

To my knowledge, the suspects captured in Afghanistan were either (justly) slain as enemy combatants or are imprisoned in Guantanamo (and for those, rightly so, I will not speak for those that are questionable however, as I am not in favor of the Getmo system as currently practiced and that's a whole nother topic).

Again, there is a time and a place for everything. States do not want to get into a quagmire like Afghanistan without 1. A good mission 2. Overwhleming Force and 3. An exit strategy. Given that the Afghanies handed the Russians their collective asses (it was the Russian Vietnam) it was highly debatable that 14 million women being treated like crap by their own government was cause enough to risk another Viet Nam. After 9-11, the harboring of suspects AND the 14 million women were a GREAT cause.

And yes I was really really pissed about the Buddhas myself. Still am. I'm glad those Taliban demons are dead.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except that the Taliban are still alive and kicking and killing people like schoolteachers who dare teach girls at all -- two deaths so far in the last fortnight alone. And that in a province supposedly fully under the control of the government -- where less than a third of the schools have been able to open, because of fear of what the Taliban will do to anyone who dares teach in them.

This doesn't make the war less just than it was (or wasn't) but rather suggests claims about what it achieved should be made with some humility.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd have to say that I don't really believe in a "just war", but that war is sometimes a necessary evil. I really can't swallow "never again", as my reading of history says "sometime again, no matter what."

Given the 1939 situation, is there an alternative to war? Not much. In the 1933 situation ... it could have been prevented, maybe. But hindsight is always perfect, and foresight is not.

And the prevention would not have been pretty. It would have been one of those nasty little Imperial jobs of knocking over a government of some legitimacy, and putting a bunch of guys up against a wall and shooting them, or having a show trial and hanging them, or letting them go into exile.

Neville Chamberlain was a sincere man, who desperately wanted to advance civilization. And absolutely not the best kind of man in that job in that period. He wanted disarmament so that the money could be better spent.

Winston Churchill was not well regarded between the wars. He wanted to spend money on armament and be activist in foreign policy. There's a TV series The Wilderness Years which ends with Chamberlain receiving the news that Hitler has invaded Poland. He says, "we'll have to ask Winston into the Cabinet", and the screen fades to black.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
I wonder something. Could the outside world have done anything to stop this? I heard at the time there were indicators that things were heating up, but 'no-one' took the situation on board. Often America et al are criticised for intervening militarily in situations external to their own national boundaries, but would this have been an exception? It's hypothetical, I know, because the slaughter happened. But, well, I just wonder.

Yes they bloody could have done. Not so much when things were "heating up" - since the UN was there, and ahd brokered a peace deal - which went tragically wrong when the president was killed (and still unclear who shot his plane down; conspiracy theories abound).

But afterwards the UN came in to evacuate people with passports, but not Tutsis. The world stood by, and played with semantics about "acts of genocide" rather than "genocide" to justify non-interference.

It was one of the most shameful periods in the UN's history. And the slaughter of Tutsis (and some Hutus) reached a million, I think. I was in Uganda at the time; people stopped eating fish from lake Victoria for nearly half a year.

The US, the UK and Europe stood by and watched. Well, actually some European governments helped supply arms to the Hutu army.

Doing something about that would have required a just war - or at least a justifiable war. And that's what the RPF fought. Of course it was ugly, and the RPF soldiers did their own share of retaliation.... but they were admirably restrained in comparison with what they were fighting, and considering the resources they had to ensure discipline.

[ 06. January 2006, 04:21: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
quote:
quote:

A nation, like a corporation, is not really a person, no matter how many laws claim otherwise so a nation cannot be in extremis. If you need to fight, fight, and constantly evaluate what you are fighting for, rather than get sucked into a "war" which is a construct into which fighting fits but which is treated as if it has goals of its own as a cover for abuses.
If Rwanda was not in extremis in 1994, your definition lets you down. It strikes me as nonsense to dispute this on the basis of using a definition that insists only an individual can be in extremis.

But then, most of your definitions strike me as nonsense. Does the holy spirit support you on this one as well, or do you have another authority that you can't tell me about?

--------------------

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
This doesn't make the war less just than it was (or wasn't) but rather suggests claims about what it achieved should be made with some humility.

John

Humility is overrated. I'd rather have someone tell me their accomplishments, even if they are not a "perfect" accomplishment, than lie to me and hide them like a coward.

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I can't think of any just war. Oddly, although I execrate Mrs Thatcher and all her works, the Falklands War was pretty close to being just.

Actually, the Falklands probably fits the consequences criteria as defined by Teapot along with those criteria posited earlier, because the Falklands have gone from strength to strength since the war. They are now economically self-sufficient, they have enjoyed an increased standard of living and they were allowed to determine their own future (which was to remain British) thanks to the support of the British government - support that was requested by the Islanders themselves. I don't agree that Thatcher manipulated the situation for her own ends; I do think she squeezed as much political advantage out of the 'victory' as she could. But any prime minister would have done the same.

quote:
Except that the Taliban are still alive and kicking and killing people

Sadly, yes, this does appear to be the case. And then, of course, there are the warlords, who are largely left alone so far as I can see (possibly explaining why the Americans et al have not suffered the kinds of casualties that previous occupiers did). I don't know how much progress is being made in Afghanistan in terms of investment in infrastructure, etc. In fact, the media do seem to be giving us here in Britain anyway very little information at all on what is happening there.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
quote:

John

Humility is overrated. I'd rather have someone tell me their accomplishments, even if they are not a "perfect" accomplishment, than lie to me and hide them like a coward.
That sounds like a form of humility to me; it's overrating the accomplishments that carries one outside the scope of humility.

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
Originally posted by Madgeo:
[quote] So in Teapotland, if you had 999 humans and a demon on one side, and 1000 demons on another than the 999 humans should not kill the thousand demons for fear of the one in their midst, and be slain by the 1000. Yeah that makes sense.

If that made sense why did it take me several read-throughs to get what you were saying?! [Biased]

You argument is fallacious Geo, it is not 1000 demons vrs 999 humans and 1 demon, it is two sides both motivated by a spirit of darkness. One side is more subtle and less heavy handed but given their behaviour (consider also shooting “cowards”) to try and suggest this was a war between the just and the unjust is so far into delusion as to be not surprising when you later say: I'm glad those Taliban demons are dead. . They were not demons, they were people deluded by demons, and your attitude is so far from the love of god, finding gladness in the death of others, I wonder on who it is you serve yourself.

quote:
Humility is overrated.
Volumes spoken in 3 simple words.

quote:
Originally posted by Mdijon:
[quote] If Rwanda was not in extremis in 1994, your definition lets you down. It strikes me as nonsense to dispute this on the basis of using a definition that insists only an individual can be in extremis.

The **people** of Rwanda were indeed in extremis, and as I have said I have no problems with defending loved ones with lethal force if necessary. When people become an army mob psychology takes over and **that** leads to more abuses than individuals drawn to a common cause by love.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

The people of Rwanda are the nation of Rwanda.

The individual people of Rwanda each doing their best to protect their own were ineffective in stopping the genocide. It was only the advance of the RPF army that stopped the genocide.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016