homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Styx: S o F Denominational Representation (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Styx: S o F Denominational Representation
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lol, amber. Well at least you'd be a good broad minded person.

Chorister and others: Sometimes I think Anglicans believe they have the monopoly on being 'broad' but infact they don't represent all varieties of belief. I think going on about this can appear a bit critical of other wide ranging churches - like saying we are good cos we are broad and you arent, when in fact that ain't true. Look at the reaction by the folk to that suggestion of lay led communion!

I think Baptists are very broad too aren't they?

And RCs?

I appreciated Think's thoughts on posting and how to encouraging variety. I think yes the inital post maybe needs more careful thought than I've being giving.

Posts: 3237 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddy:
Chorister and others: Sometimes I think Anglicans believe they have the monopoly on being 'broad' but infact they don't represent all varieties of belief. I think going on about this can appear a bit critical of other wide ranging churches - like saying we are good cos we are broad and you arent, when in fact that ain't true. Look at the reaction by the folk to that suggestion of lay led communion!

I thought the reactions on the Lay Presidency thread actually did prove just how broad the Anglican Communion is.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not really. I mean how many could cope with discussion of it in a friendly enquiring way - very few of the regular tat folk
Posts: 3237 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
... but as far as demoninations go there is definitely a preponderance of Anglicans and a lot of Anglican-centric discussions. ...

Well, if there's one thing that Anglicans are good at, given the non-authoritarian style of that church, it's endless debate with very little productive results. So they'll be much at home on the discussion boards on the Ship.

quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
Eddy,
One problem is that different types of Christian find it hard to talk to each other. ...

Some types of Christian find it very hard to acknowledge that any other type exists. Those who find unbearable the cognitive dissonance that comes from finding that someone else who calls themselves a Christian doesn't believe the same things that they do, will not feel at home here at all.

So I suggest that the very nature of these discussion boards produces a bias in favour of some Christian traditions and against others. That's the nature of the beast, and I don't see any way of changing that - or need to change.

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship of Fools is not a Social Service. It is not founded on Equal Representation. I don't feel it's my job to coax oddly-affiliated folk onto the Ship.

I find Eddy's constant pats-on-the-head ("Thanks for that good post, Whoever" - over and over again) to be very annoying. Who asked for Eddy's guidance and approval in the on-going discussions?

I've entirely lost interest in Eccles since it became The Eddy Show. But this makes no difference to me or anyone else. People come, and people go. Just thought I'd let you know. [Smile]

N.B. Voicing a divergent opinion, mind you, adding to the broad mix of outlooks and church positions. And Nationalities. And Gender Assignments. And Dietary Preferences. And Age Groups.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its unfortunate if one person's style is putting you off a whole board you would otherwise be interested in.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a dissonance and disingenuity here.

It strikes me as very peculiar that Eddy should refer to the "tat brigade" in the third person, when he is chief among the party of one. Who else starts endless threads about "what Anglo-Catholic priests wear"? Who exactly are in this tat brigade? I long ago decided that these Eddy threads were there to bring disrepute on those who cared to discuss liturgy. I don't play along anymore.

When someone questions some practice, Eddy is quick to jibe with not following "the usual practice of Catholic churches".

But when someone suggests, for example, that flowers for Communion is far from Christian, suddenly he takes the other tack: there is no such thing as Catholic norms. And those who do, in fact, wish to stick by Catholic norms are simply incapable of celebrating "diversity" and creativity.

I could go on an on with one buttock-clenchingly annoying example after another.

Now we are chided here in the Styx because there are not enough people from yet more and more obscure sects, whose Liturgy eddy wants to drool over.

Sorry, all of this does not compute. And I remain with my impression that there is a deliberate attempt to bring those who discuss matters liturgical into disrepute.

This wind-up nonsense needs to stop.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fr Cuthbert
Shipmate
# 3953

- Posted      Profile for Fr Cuthbert     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the place for such a vitriolic attack on a shipmate?

In the opening post on this thread Eddy asked:

quote:
That made me wonder how the denominations are represented on the Ship.

It seems the highest proportion of posters are Anglicans or ex-Anglicans.

But worldwide Anglicans are quite small.

Why is this? How can a better variety be encouraged?

From my experience and reading of posts, I believe those are good questions, and worth discussing.

It's a shame that one or two have turned this to an attack on the person who asked the questions. In my experience that happens when the questions are found to be uncomfortable.

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, a larger congregation of H and A than I've seen in a while have contributed to the thread, and RooK has growled a couple of times, so I suspect that a move - be it to Hell or Purg - will be undertaken if it drifts too far one way or another.

I've felt right from the OP that there was more to this thread than was immediately apparent. It's been an interesting read.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a U.S. Lutheran with no interest in tat I have to say that it doesn't bother me that the Ship's population is largely Anglo-Anglican (with a large sideserving of tat queens). There's a great pleasure to be found in going out among the exotics [Two face] ). I see no reason why we should force it to be anything but what it grows into naturally.

If you want it to be different, do something yourself. Easy.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
Well, a larger congregation of H and A than I've seen in a while have contributed to the thread, and RooK has growled a couple of times, so I suspect that a move - be it to Hell or Purg - will be undertaken if it drifts too far one way or another.

I've felt right from the OP that there was more to this thread than was immediately apparent. It's been an interesting read.

Laetare/Eddy has been called to hell before by LQ with a very funny and entertaining hell thread which Eddy took personally and winged about (and we, being good Christian folk, felt bad for him and looked at our feet and pretending that such a thread never existed in the first place... except some of us big bad bullies on the ship who like to prod Laetare/Eddy every so often until he has a tantrum and asks for anybody else's opinions other than your own because you're a big bad Catholic and you won't say what he wants you to say)

Max.

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eddy is Laetare? [Paranoid]

Oh shit, there it is right in the sig line.

Dear God, I do truly hate name change amnesties, I do, I do, Ido. [brick wall]

[ 18. October 2009, 23:55: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
Given that more people apparently worship with the Roman Catholics than with the Anglicans on the average Sunday morning in England

In the UK as a whole - the CofE is probably still marginally ahead in England.

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

Judging from the Mystery Worship reports, the Anglican Communion in all its geographical locations is favored, followed by the Roman Catholic Church throughout the world. Methodists, Lutherans and Presbyterians also make a strong showing. Independent evangelicals are not exactly under-represented either. It seems that Orthodox churches in all their territorial flavors are, however, under-represented.

This is an English-language website and the vast majority of Orthodox use Russian, Greek or Arabic in church.

In numbers I think its the Pentecostalists & Charismatics who are missing - they probably out number all the other Protestants worldwide these days (& therefore they outnumber the Orthodox as well) Globally its the second most popular flavour of Christianity after RC.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Atheist:

As to why there are so many CoE people, isn't that more due to the UK location of the largest number of posters?

Thats just too easy to say!
Its easy to say but its probably true!
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:

It seems to me that the proportion of Orthodox here is untypical of the UK and ditto Quakers - though maybe in both cases we punch above our weight.

Orthodox certainly. Maybe not the Quakers though. On the other hand that there are any Lutherans at all is odd by UK standards.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Judging from the Mystery Worship reports, the Anglican Communion in all its geographical locations is favored, followed by the Roman Catholic Church throughout the world. Methodists, Lutherans and Presbyterians also make a strong showing. Independent evangelicals are not exactly under-represented either. It seems that Orthodox churches in all their territorial flavors are, however, under-represented.

This is an English-language website and the vast majority of Orthodox use Russian, Greek or Arabic in church.
They may use those languages in church, but do they use them exclusively? This is certainly the case if you're talking about Orthodox churches worldwide. However, if you're limiting yourself to the English-speaking world, then I think that the proportion of churches that do not use English as their primary liturgical language within the area that any given MWer would be reasonably expected to travel to get to a church to MW, will vary considerably from MWer to MWer. London Orthodoxy, for instance, is notorious for its ethnic ghettoisation, and that will have an influence on the liturgical language.

Of the Orthodox churches that I know in the midlands and in the northwest, I know of only two churches whose liturgical language is exclusively Greek or Slavonic. Apart from the two that are primarily Slavonic or Greek with some English, all the rest of which I know serve either entirely in English or predominantly in English with token bits of Greek or Slavonic, (none with Arabic to my knowledge). It depends very much on where you live and how you define your MW "catchment area".

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

In numbers I think its the Pentecostalists & Charismatics who are missing - they probably out number all the other Protestants worldwide these days (& therefore they outnumber the Orthodox as well) Globally its the second most popular flavour of Christianity after RC.

I think they are here, they just don’t self identify as a Charismatic or Pentecostal on the Ship. I can think of quite a few reasons why they would prefer to just post on a topic without wearing their denominational badges. Having said that, of course it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for me to give a number to back up what I say here, so it is only a guess.

The thing is, I don’t hear them complaining about the lack of representation of their voices (or possibly I have missed it) so I presume they are quite happy to be on the Ship as it is.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a cradle (Roman) Catholic who sings in the Cof E and therefor tends to worship there as well. Not everyone fits neatly into a category, and even those who would categorise themselves as, for example, - C of E, vary enormously in beliefs and practices. I relish the variety I find on the ship, but then, I surf between boards. There's too much incense on Eccles, and too narrow a range of interests for me to want to visit more than occasionally. The varied diet provided across the boards is more interesting.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pooks:
I think they are here, they just don’t self identify as a Charismatic or Pentecostal on the Ship.

I think you're bang on the nail there. It's not that people are hiding the fact - the ones I've 'met' seem happy enough to talk about it when it's relevant - but they don't feel the need to wear a badge.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you for real?

quote:
I must say I'm a bit horrified to see that I may in fact be responsible for some of the tat backbiting that goes on

quote:
Originally posted by Eddy, 3 posts previously:
percy Dearmer (OMG not him again)

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
quote:
I must say I'm a bit horrified to see that I may in fact be responsible for some of the tat backbiting that goes on

quote:
Originally posted by Eddy, 3 posts previously:
percy Dearmer (OMG not him again)

Are you for real?

Something I've been asking for a few months now. [Paranoid]

Max.

--------------------

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Are you for real?

All I can say is, it's a good job that the mods can see that Eddy & I have different IP addresses, hosted a world apart [Biased]
Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:
Are you for real?

All I can say is, it's a good job that the mods can see that Eddy & I have different IP addresses, hosted a world apart [Biased]
I can't believe you've never heard of proxies! [Biased]

Max.

--------------------

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
quote:
quote:
Are you for real?

I can't believe you've never heard of proxies! [Biased]

Max.

Or Tor.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
There is a dissonance and disingenuity here.

It strikes me as very peculiar that Eddy should refer to the "tat brigade" in the third person, when he is chief among the party of one. Who else starts endless threads about "what Anglo-Catholic priests wear"? Who exactly are in this tat brigade? I long ago decided that these Eddy threads were there to bring disrepute on those who cared to discuss liturgy. I don't play along anymore.

When someone questions some practice, Eddy is quick to jibe with not following "the usual practice of Catholic churches".

But when someone suggests, for example, that flowers for Communion is far from Christian, suddenly he takes the other tack: there is no such thing as Catholic norms. And those who do, in fact, wish to stick by Catholic norms are simply incapable of celebrating "diversity" and creativity.

I could go on an on with one buttock-clenchingly annoying example after another.

Now we are chided here in the Styx because there are not enough people from yet more and more obscure sects, whose Liturgy eddy wants to drool over.

Sorry, all of this does not compute. And I remain with my impression that there is a deliberate attempt to bring those who discuss matters liturgical into disrepute.

This wind-up nonsense needs to stop.

Styx Host Tiara On

You seem to have confused the Styx with Hell. Don’t.

Styx Host Tiara Off

Tubbs
Styx Host

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Laetare/Eddy has been called to hell before by LQ with a very funny and entertaining hell thread which Eddy took personally and winged about (and we, being good Christian folk, felt bad for him and looked at our feet and pretending that such a thread never existed in the first place... except some of us big bad bullies on the ship who like to prod Laetare/Eddy every so often until he has a tantrum and asks for anybody else's opinions other than your own because you're a big bad Catholic and you won't say what he wants you to say)

Max.

Member Admin Tiara On

In this post you admit to trolling and flame-baiting and you make a personal attack outside Hell. Breaking Commandment 1 (don’t be a jerk); Commandment 3 (attack the issue not the person) and Commandment 4 (take it to Hell).

Under normal circumstances that would earn you a few weeks shore leave. These are not normal circumstances. On 7th July 2009 you were told that any further misbehaviour would result in permanent shore leave. Three commandment breaches in one post counts as further misbehaviour. Goodbye Max.

Member Admin Tiara Off

Tubbs
Member Admin

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm a charismatic non-denominationalist (although, since we've moved, we've been attending a Baptist Church). Hello!

I think that part of the problem (if it is a problem) is simply that the demographic is by nature going to be self-sustaining.

If most people are from a certain background, then they're going to be interested in similar topics, and start threads on those topics. Someone who isn't interested in that topic won't bother to read or post, so getting those people from other demographics is going to be hard.

Likewise, I've sometimes been disappointed in a lack of interest/depth on threads that I post on / start. But it's understandable, because many people here are either not going to have an opinion or be bothered about the same things as me.

That said, I think SoF is about as diverse a place as you're going to be able to get. And I quite like the fact that most people are from a different kind of background to me - that means I get to hear a different perspective to usual. And there are enough frequent posters who are atheists or of other religions and background that you get a varied voice.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:
quote:

Max.

Member Admin Tiara On

In this post you admit to trolling and flame-baiting and you make a personal attack outside Hell. Breaking Commandment 1 (don’t be a jerk); Commandment 3 (attack the issue not the person) and Commandment 4 (take it to Hell).

Under normal circumstances that would earn you a few weeks shore leave. These are not normal circumstances. On 7th July 2009 you were told that any further misbehaviour would result in permanent shore leave. Three commandment breaches in one post counts as further misbehaviour. Goodbye Max.

Member Admin Tiara Off

Tubbs
Member Admin

Well, you've lost me as well then. This is completely OTT. Max was wound up by a wind up merchant. He shouldn't have been, but it's completely understandable, and hardly a grievious crime against the Ship's commandments. It is surely not the kind of 'misbehaviour' which any reasonable person would have thought he was being warned about in July.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It certainly seems OTT from here too.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!]

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Max was given far more leeway than he should, and just because the final straw was a hair over the line instead of running at it full-force does not mean that he doesn't get to enjoy the consequences of his cumulative behavior.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So be it. But I'll miss the lad. We've had our differences over many things, but there was something about him that made you just want to take him by the shoulders and give him a good shaking, and then hope he'd start behaving himself. [Waterworks] [Tear]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

That's an interesting take. I find it difficult to see what he contravened. The post for which he has been banned was a descriptive of past behaviour, for which he was given the final warning. It was a direct reply to an enquiry as to the history. I thought it quite a fair description, actually.

I am not an apologist for Max, and we have had dozens of run-ins. But this is just weird.

How strange the wheels of fortune work around here.

--------------------

Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly my thoughts. This 'misbehaving' seems not to have been obvious enough to intrude on the original thread(s), otherwise a host would have picked it up.

It seems he's being banned for what I imagine was a somewhat rhetorical interpretation of events to make a point. If the actual posts weren't serious enough to warrant a sanction at the time, how does an after-the-event recollection make them so?

Perhaps a technically correct call, but one that seems not quite right in a justice sense.

[ 20. October 2009, 15:09: Message edited by: Dave Marshall ]

Posts: 4763 | From: Derbyshire Dales | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Frown]

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In this post you admit to trolling and flame-baiting and you make a personal attack

I can't see where Max made a pesonal attack except maybe accusing Eddy of "whinging", but that's just British for "complaining" isn't it? The rest was describing past history with wording for humor and effect. I too think the reaction was over the top.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Marshall:
If the actual posts weren't serious enough to warrant a sanction at the time, how does an after-the-event recollection make them so?

Because a post that is within the rules, but happens to wind someone else up, doesn't look like misconduct, but once you admit that you posted it with the intention and purpose of winding someone up, you are admitting to being a jerk?

That said, I'm not at all sure that Max was admitting to this. I think his post could equally well be read as admitting to a certain pleasure in Eddy getting wound up at his and others opinions. Or (more likely) as mere bluster.

I appreciate that Max was on a very clear final warning, but I'd be sorry to see him go on the basis of (what looks to me like) quite a fine judgment call, and I do hope that somewhere in the ship's hold a small last reserve of Slack can be found.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no! [Frown] I'll really miss Max; I found his posts interesting and fun. And others who "attacked" him IMO have as much responsibility...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think any of us really "attacked" him. Many of us did try to make him see the error of his ways. He was a smug little bloke, so convinced he was right and everybody else was wrong, and missed no opportunity to let us all know that -- as children will. I once called him a brat, and I think he fit the bill.

Admittedly, some of us enjoyed goading him now and then as well. And we were taken to task for it at the time.

But Max matured greatly over the years, and I really will miss him.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Marshall:
Exactly my thoughts. This 'misbehaving' seems not to have been obvious enough to intrude on the original thread(s), otherwise a host would have picked it up.

It seems he's being banned for what I imagine was a somewhat rhetorical interpretation of events to make a point. If the actual posts weren't serious enough to warrant a sanction at the time, how does an after-the-event recollection make them so?

Perhaps a technically correct call, but one that seems not quite right in a justice sense.

I agree with this - I have met him on several occasions and it's the way he talks. The hosts were taking his words 'literally', as it were.

I have texted him to that effect and I believe the hosts were OTT.

On the other hand, being off The Ship will mean he has more time to do the valuable work that he does and prepare for his future, using his considerable gifts.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Max was never a particular pal of mine, but a Ship which has exchanged him for Eddy is a poorer place for it.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, this constant second guessing of the hosts and admins is getting very very old. Not to mention damned rude.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel guilty for providing the post which prompted Max. to make his comments.

I have to say that I didn't view his response as particularly provocative, rather a witty in-joke observation about times past.

I've been around long enough to know some of his history, and I know he's come up against the H&A before, and I knew he was on a final warning, but I'm surprised that this was the proverbial straw, so to speak.

I would hope that Tubbs might reconsider, as I really felt that the post was jocular, rather than deliberately mischievous or malicious. And he is part of the furniture round here, after all.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

Either I don't understand the meaning of the term, or you don't. But questioning and disagreeing with a decision is not the same as second guessing. Where is this alleged second guessing?

As to rudeness, I am not sure what model you are operating on, but again questioning and disagreeing is not the same as being rude. One can do it in a rude manner, but simply having the temerity to do it is not a display of rudeness.

I am not pleading for Max, nor do I think he is some cutesy little mascot who is amusing to have around the place. There would have been other occasions on which I would have applauded a decision to plank him. This particular incident strikes me as utterly bizarre and unjustified.

--------------------

Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All things being considered, Max' post struck me as quite innocuous. The rationale for permanently booting him strikes me as rather pretextual. In fact, the host who booted him practically admitted the fact.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dumpling Jeff
Shipmate
# 12766

- Posted      Profile for Dumpling Jeff   Email Dumpling Jeff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep getting the feeling that there's a back story with Max I never heard. Has he been killing puppies or something?

--------------------
"There merely seems to be something rather glib in defending the police without question one moment and calling the Crusades-- or war in general-- bad the next. The second may be an extension of the first." - Alogon

Posts: 2572 | From: Nomad | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So be it. But I'll miss the lad. We've had our differences over many things, but there was something about him that made you just want to take him by the shoulders and give him a good shaking, and then hope he'd start behaving himself. [Waterworks] [Tear]

Respect to Miss Amanda - perfectly put.

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Max will be missed. Can I add my voice to those who regret his peremptory banishment?

Of course he can be irritating. But he's grown up a lot while he's been on the Ship, and amongst the point-scoring and student flippancy, he shows a genuine faith. And he helps debunk some of the po-faced 'catholicism' of the sacristy queens (many of whom are of course anglo-catholic) by showing that 'low-church Catholic' is not necessarily an oxymoron.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dumpling Jeff
Shipmate
# 12766

- Posted      Profile for Dumpling Jeff   Email Dumpling Jeff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shadowhund wrote,
quote:
All things being considered, Max' post struck me as quite innocuous. The rationale for permanently booting him strikes me as rather pretextual. In fact, the host who booted him practically admitted the fact.
Are you implying that as soon as a thread started here questioning how to get more RCs on the ship, the administration planked a prominent RC on a pretext just to show what the unofficial policy is?

It resonates with the little, paranoid voice in my head. Maybe I should break out the tin foil?

Or am I being naive?

--------------------
"There merely seems to be something rather glib in defending the police without question one moment and calling the Crusades-- or war in general-- bad the next. The second may be an extension of the first." - Alogon

Posts: 2572 | From: Nomad | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Fr Cuthbert
Shipmate
# 3953

- Posted      Profile for Fr Cuthbert     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a pity that this thread has descended to attacks and defences of individuals.

I still believe the original opening questions are worth discussion and thought.

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Member Admin Tiara On

In this post you admit to trolling and flame-baiting and you make a personal attack outside Hell. Breaking Commandment 1 (don’t be a jerk); Commandment 3 (attack the issue not the person) and Commandment 4 (take it to Hell). Member Admin Tiara Off

Tubbs
Member Admin

Perhaps you can explain how he did any of these things? Any of them, I'll find it very interesting to know how you can support even one of your allegations.

FD

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'll find it very interesting to know how you can support even one of your allegations.

She doesn't have to. None of the admins are answerable to anyone but Simon and Erin.

None of us have a right to post here at all.

Lamb Chopped is right. Continuing to second-guess decisions like this is insulting to the people who keep the ship afloat.

It's not our call, and it's not really any of our business. Time to move on.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016