homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Styx: S o F Denominational Representation (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Styx: S o F Denominational Representation
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:

Now, some light mood music, perhaps?

I think Arcade Fire's song *My Body is a Cage* fits better, actually

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp34v6Lmcc

almost scary, huh?

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Now, some light mood music, perhaps?

Aside: I just re-watched that movie last weekend. I freaking love Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone.

And now, back to plotting all your doom.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The question of representation hasn't yet, at least on this thread, as far as I've noticed, mentioned the shipmates who, like myself, have started out in one denomination, and remain perhaps officially in that one, but have experienced denominational drift into another. I'm a cradle RC, but have been cheerfully singing, worshipping and receiving in the C of E for 25 years. Where do I fit in?

Or could it be that the idea of equal(ish) representation is rather more complex than originally suggested?

[ 03. November 2009, 22:58: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
And now, back to plotting all your doom.

Well, RooK, why not invite everyone to join you in a hike on the boardwalk 1500 feet above the water in Pacific Rim National Park?

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or perhaps at Zion National Park. It's about time I went back to Angel's Landing.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fuzzipeg
Shipmate
# 10107

- Posted      Profile for Fuzzipeg   Author's homepage   Email Fuzzipeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the Anglican preponderance is why the Ship works.

If there was a Catholic bias it would become maudlin, self congratulatory and a bit saccharine and would probably become dominated by conservative Catholics and no-one else would be happy in that environment.

There would be a similar though different problems if the Ship were overwhelmingly Methodist or Baptist.

Let the Anglicans have it, I say. They could run an Empire so why not a Ship?

Posts: 929 | From: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There would be a similar though different problems if the Ship were overwhelmingly Methodist or Baptist.

Oh do tell! Having been both a Methodist and a Baptist in my time I'm very curious.

My guess...

Methodist ship: The long dark committee meeting of the soul

Baptist ship: You think Purg is argumentative now?

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Scottish Presbyterian ship would schism into two ships, which in turn would schism into more ships, till we'd end up with a Fleet of Fools, some parts of which would concentrate on the Dead Horses, and most parts of which would be a dab hand at Hell calls. Eccles would be deserted and the Circus would be shut on the Sabbath.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
A Scottish Presbyterian ship would schism into two ships, *snip*

Plus an extra schism every time anyone was so rash as to post on the same thread as a [Ian Paisley voice] CATHOLIC! [/Ian Paisley voice]?

(yes, I know Elvis is from the other side of the Irish Sea, but I find it very hard not thinking of him when the Wee Frees are getting their extra-strong reinforced thou shalt not pass gussets in a twist over the PAPISTS!)

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, that part of the fleet which had schismed and was sailing out of Stornoway, would of course remained berthed on the Sabbath. No Sunday sailings of the Ship!!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzipeg:
Maybe the Anglican preponderance is why the Ship works.

If there was a Catholic bias it would become maudlin, self congratulatory and a bit saccharine and would probably become dominated by conservative Catholics and no-one else would be happy in that environment.

Let the Anglicans have it, I say. They could run an Empire so why not a Ship?

You mean Anglicans AREN'T self-congratulatory? You mean all of the moaning and groaning about "racism" and "sexism" from certain quarters of the Anglican world isn't maudlin?

I assumed that the main reason why Anglicans are (over?)represented had mostly to do with the fact that SOF is based in England and the word trickles mostly back to the United States and elsewhere that way. It would be shocking if the Boards were dominated by "Noncomformist shopkeepers" or Lake Wobegon Lutherans where all the children are above average.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fuzzipeg
Shipmate
# 10107

- Posted      Profile for Fuzzipeg   Author's homepage   Email Fuzzipeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course Anglicans are all self congratulatory etc.
The difference is that they know it. They also know that they are not the only fish in the sea. What makes the Ship work is their expectation of disagreement and varying opinions amongst themselves and they naturally assume that the rest of us will fall in with that culture.

Within many other denominations there is not that tolerance of different opinions either within or without the ecclesiastical structure.

--------------------
http://foodybooze.blogspot.co.za

Posts: 929 | From: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think any denomination is in complete agreement with itself. It's just that from the outside, some prefer to appear so.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course Anglicans are all self congratulatory etc
Well, we have a lot to congratulate ourselves about! [Razz]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They also know that they are not the only fish in the sea...
I'm not sure. Plenty of English Anglicans are amazingly ignorant about life beyond the C of E.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Also, that part of the fleet which had schismed and was sailing out of Stornoway, would of course remained berthed on the Sabbath. No Sunday sailings of the Ship!!

The really problem is that the fleet is never finally built. Let me explain, they go through the schism building process, but they also have the opposite process as well, possibly when they realise another team of ship builders has managed to work out how to do something they are struggling with, then they merge together, trying to build one ship out of the two partly built ships. Only of course some don't like joining the combined ship building team so they start building another boat alongside. This continual process of splitting a recombining building teams, means that no single boat is never ever got to the stage where it is deemed sea worthy. Of course being Reformed there are endless disputes about what "seaworthy" means.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If there was a Catholic bias it would become maudlin, self congratulatory and a bit saccharine

Oh well then, maybe I'll stick around after all. We can make it happen.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay [Big Grin]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<sound of Orthodoxen, in their stalls, lowing respectfully to Think² and DOD>
Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I don't think any denomination is in complete agreement with itself.

Certainly not the Anglicans, at any rate.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

quote:
If there was a Catholic bias it would become maudlin, self congratulatory and a bit saccharine
You make that sound like such a BAD thing...
Fuzzipeg
Shipmate
# 10107

Wow...maybe you have a point! Let's go for it then. We'll pop the Anglicans into Ordinaria and restrict them to Ecclesiantics and turn the Ship into an Armada!

I raise my glass of Benedictine to That!

--------------------

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuzzipeg, if there were a Catholic bias on the Ship it would most certainly NOT be maudlin or self-congratulatory while I continue to post.

m (definitely NOT a member of any private RC boards and just hanging in here to keep the resident RC bastards honest)

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fuzzipeg
Shipmate
# 10107

I can tell that,Multipara, by the clothes you are wearing...terrifying!

--------------------

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You should see what I wear IRL....never take an avatar seriously.

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
five
Shipmate
# 14492

- Posted      Profile for five         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I certainly haven't seen an anti-Catholic bias here. Or at least any more of one than is anti-anything else. It is a kind of anti-everything board. But if you can put forth an actual argument, people will listen. If you can't, people will tell you it doesn't add up. That's what makes it fun!
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by five:
It is a kind of anti-everything board. But if you can put forth an actual argument, people will listen. If you can't, people will tell you it doesn't add up. That's what makes it fun!

My little nonconformist legs were kicking with appreciation at this description. Thanks, five.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fuzzipeg
Shipmate
# 10107

I'm sorry, Multipara. I always assume people look like their avatars as I do.

--------------------

Hare today
Shipmate
# 12974

- Posted      Profile for Hare today     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I do hope not!

--------------------
Ht

Come let us sing of a wonderful love (1933 MHB No 314)

Posts: 401 | From: Middle England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

OMG

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mind Fuzzipeg's assumption...

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't either, if I were Joyeux. [Smile]

Not that far off for me. I am a bit of an old ruin.

[ 13. November 2009, 07:57: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I am a bit of an old ruin.

Agatha Christie said that the great thing about being married to an archaeologist (as she was) was that "the older you get, the more interested he becomes in you".

It's not only the Ship which suffers from decline in species diversity. [Frown]

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I look exactly like my avatar.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Same here. Or, at least, part of me does.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to look like my avatar.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I am a bit of an old ruin.

Agatha Christie said that the great thing about being married to an archaeologist (as she was) was that "the older you get, the more interested he becomes in you".

It's not only the Ship which suffers from decline in species diversity. [Frown]

That damned Christian rock scene is a dark abyss of the soul. [Disappointed] [Biased]

It is too bad, though. At least it doesn't sound like his order yanked him out (or did they?). And it's pretty healthy of him to know to get out when the getting was good.

By the way, do you know any straight, eligible, 50ish archeologists? Or maybe who I really need is a paleontologist? [Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My avatar is wishful thinking.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Jacobsen has kindly diverted this avatar tangent to Heaven for all who'd like to chat about it. [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016