homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Capital Punishment debate (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Capital Punishment debate
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The point, Mad Geo, being that without intent they are innocent. Therefore they need protecting. People die in accidents too.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On th off chance that Doublethink really does want to understand, rather than just pick a fight (which I doubt based on the TITCH thread)...

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
...For those who are pro: What is the point of capital punishment ? What exactly do you hope to achieve ? In terms of the individual perpetrator, in terms the surviving victim and/or those who had ties to the victim, and in terms of society as a whole ?

The Point is to punish. What is hoped to achieve is punishment for the guilty and protection for society. Those who had ties to the victim - I assume you mean his/her family. They have to deal with the horror inflicted with the act, it is not, in my opinion, the job of the legal system to deal with that.

quote:
What do you do if your goals for these different people and groups conflict ? What is your priority ? To take one of the examples discussed above, would you still want this punishment if it decreases convictions ? Would you want it if it decreased the murder by 50% rate but increased the number of police officers killied in shoot-outs during arrests ?

These goals do not conflict. Priority is, therefore, irrelevant.

If the existence of this form of punishment decreases convictions, the system is in need or repair. That is, those who would find someone not guilty in spite of the evidence solely so the guilty will not be executed should be weeded out of the jury pool for capital offenses.

As to your last question. The outcome you wish to be assumed cannot be so assumed. I will not get pulled into such hypothetical arguments. I see no purpose to them.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
If the existence of this form of punishment decreases convictions, the system is in need or repair. That is, those who would find someone not guilty in spite of the evidence solely so the guilty will not be executed should be weeded out of the jury pool for capital offenses.

So jurors are just a sort of machine programmed to do what the government tells them? And any with an independent conscience - or a different view of the law from - need to be removed from the process?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where does the state get the authority to punish people in such an absolute and final way?

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

So jurors are just a sort of machine programmed to do what the government tells them? And any with an independent conscience - or a different view of the law from - need to be removed from the process?
Another issue is that in England and Wales the jury is left to its own devices. What each juror thinks, says and decides is left in the jury room and unlike those in California who blabbed after the Michael Jackson trial any juror speaking out after a trial in England and Wales could easily find themselves on a contempt charge.

I suppose this will all change soon in the name orf "Modernisation".

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
Where does the state get the authority to punish people in such an absolute and final way?

T.

From the people who elected the government who passed the laws.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:

Yes.

It is the role of the government, not a jury or a judge, to make law.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
executed man may have been innocent

just a little something to throw into the debate, from cnn today.

and of course the thought that every time an innocent person is executed for something they didn't do, it means a guilty person is running around free.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes.

It is the role of the government, not a jury or a judge, to make law.

No.

It is the role of the government to make law.

It is not the role of judges and juries to act as an extension of the government. They are specifically constituted so as to be totally independent of the government.

Their job is to decide what the facts are, and decide whether a particular person is or is not guilty of a crime and worthy of the consequent punishment. It is well attested that throughout the history of common law, juries (and judges) have exercised a right to acquit if the penalty was inappropriate (in their eyes). And in today's world, if the crown disagrees with a verdict, it has the right to appeal the result.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with sharkshooter that the criminal justice system is not the right forum for assisting suvivors and the families and friends of the victims. Though I do feel the state has a role here, in so far as it has not suceeded in its aim of protecting them. Though I would want this done through statutary compensation and free healthcare support as needed. (I am aware this is done at least partially in the UK.)

I think we do need to take seriously the unintended side effects of a given punishment. Whether that is lynching if you don't have the death penalty or lowered conviction rates if you do. There is some evidence that if you sift a jury for people with pro-capital opinons you get more chance of conviction. (Studies using vignettes with two different types of jury same case outlines.) You may just exchange one kind of bias for another.

I suppose we can go on trying to provide better and better systems but none will ever be perfect. We don't currently have the death penalty in the UK but that may change. we tend to follow a US lead in some things, which makes me worry about the idea of plea bargains which is starting to be floated. If anything I think this just introduces an element of unfairness into the way sentences are applied - inluding the death penalty.

At base, I am not sure that I have a logical argument against the death penalty - it's more the idea that it is wrong to take human life, it doesn't become right because the state does it. I also feel that it corrupts those called upon to carry it out.

There is also something that is very nihilistic about the whole idea - nothing is created or resolved through it. Why not, for example, have people imprisoned for life the products of whose labour are sold or used for the benefit of society. This also allows for the possibility of / opportunity for, repentence.

[ 21. November 2005, 19:17: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
executed man may have been innocent

just a little something to throw into the debate, from cnn today.

and of course the thought that every time an innocent person is executed for something they didn't do, it means a guilty person is running around free.

Imagine that! A man shoots a police officer under circumstances too shady for the D.A. to press charges, and then gets executed for an unrelated crime that he did not commit, on the eyewitness account of a 19 year old illegal immigrant that took some persuasion to pick out the photo of the man who shot him.

Punitive or not, capital punishment makes for sweet revenge if you're a dirty cop.

It sucks to be that guy, but unfortunately the demographic at your local death row is far too brown for most people to give a shit.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
...it is wrong to take human life, it doesn't become right because the state does it. I also feel that it corrupts those called upon to carry it out.

I disagree with those two statements.

quote:
... Why not, for example, have people imprisoned for life the products of whose labour are sold or used for the benefit of society. ....

A life sentence rarely is for life.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Thank you for your responses. I am serious about understanding the pro view. After all, as someone who is anti - I do realise I am in the minority.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This the 21st century. CP is obsolete. Old Testament times were twenty one centuries ago!

Punish criminals thusly in all states in the US:
Let them live in filth, eat bad meals, isolate them from the general population, deny all visitors, censor all post, bill their families for their incarceration or seize assets, bring back 'cruel and unusual punishmnent' for child rape, homicide, paedophilia - execution solves nothing. Life in prison without parole!
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

[ 22. November 2005, 02:40: Message edited by: Sir Kevin ]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Have you a reference for this, Sharkshooter?

It's my impression that in the US, at least, a sentence to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole is just that (barring a rare exercise of clemency or pardon.) I haven't found national statistics, but this article on the Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola says that the half of inmates who are lifers there "will never be released from the prison." (The article is from a 1998 newsletter of the National Prison Hospice Association.) I'd be interested to learn of an authoritative source on this topic, if you know of one.

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:

Have you a reference for this, Sharkshooter?

Try this analysis by the John Howard Society: here. We have no true life imprisonment in Canada ...
quote:
There are four classifications of indeterminate sentences in Canada, three of which involve life imprisonment and a fourth which involves “indefinite detention,” which can be imposed upon being declared a Dangerous Offender. The four classifications are: life imprisonment as a minimum sentence with no eligibility for parole for 25 years, life imprisonment as a minimum sentence with no eligibility for parole for 10 to 25 years, life as a maximum sentence and indeterminate sentences imposed on Dangerous Offenders.

Note that all categories allow for parole.

--------------------

Dobbo
Shipmate
# 5850

- Posted      Profile for Dobbo   Email Dobbo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few thoughts

Justice is blind

No it is not - as far as I am aware over 90% of those on death row are black

Justice is impartial

No - not if you have enough money to buy an extremely expensive legal team

My cousin who works as a procurator fiscal - does confuse me sometimes - she says that the jury tend to not convict if the crime is carries a capital offence (she worked in the states in a legal capacity against the death penalty) but is not averse to entertaining castration for repeat rapists.

I also find that use of the death sentence may have been more satisfactory in the case of Myra Hindley (who ended up dying in prison with pnuemonia at 60) see here In this case she was a political football - none of the Home Secretaries would release her because they would have been "soft on crime". I watched a programme on TV about her which showed both sides and one woman was totally consumed by hatred for Myra - her only reason for living was to ensure that Myra was never released - that was her life sentence as well - perhaps if the death sentence had been invoked that woman may have been able to get on with her life.

An interesting thought - the police officers that killed a Brazillian going towards a tube train - should they be up for the death penalty if it were introduced.

--------------------
I'm holding out for Grace......, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity
Bono

Posts: 395 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Punish criminals thusly in all states in the US:
Let them live in filth, eat bad meals, isolate them from the general population, deny all visitors, censor all post, bill their families for their incarceration or seize assets, bring back 'cruel and unusual punishmnent' for child rape, homicide, paedophilia - execution solves nothing. Life in prison without parole!

I disagree with pretty much all of this, unsurprising really given what I've said above.

However, do want to tackle something about this. People seem to almost think of sexual offenses as morally worse than murder. [No I am not saying that Sir Kevin said this specifically - just triggered my thoughts in this direction.] Paedophillia is a disgusting crime, as is rape, but are these acts not of a different order to murder ?

[ 22. November 2005, 18:00: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

wombat
Shipmate
# 5180

- Posted      Profile for wombat   Email wombat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by josephine:
quote:
Is it not generally thought that vicious murderers and other sociopaths want to be executed for their crimes? Why do the US do them that favour? Why do they execute those guilty of murder and treason but not paedophiles?

My understanding is that, for sex-related crimes in the US, when the severity of the expected punishment increases, the conviction rate decreases, so that if you had capital punishment for pedophiles, none of them would ever be convicted.
Do you think that is because jurors do not want people executed so they find them "not guilty" to avoid it in spite of the evidence?
Historically speaking, in the 18th century, Britain had the Death Penalty for dozens upon dozens of crimes. You could be executed for stealing a sufficiently well made pie. The end result was that juries frequently refused to convict and most people ended up being pardoned if they were convicted.

If the punishment seems disproportionate to juries, they will frequently acquit, since they usually have no way to lower the punishment to the level they find suitable.

--------------------
John Walter Biles
Historian in Training

Posts: 363 | From: Maryland | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I agree with that last post. After all its more or less exactly what I said myself on the previous page... [Biased]

--------------------
Ken

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

My point, which I am sure I have already made, is that I don't think that is the role of a jury.

Are we done yet, or does anyone have anything new to say?

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My point, which I am sure I have already made, is that I don't think that is the role of a jury.

Not new -- just to repeat, that this is a role juries have historically performed over several centuries. It seems a little brusque to brush off the experience of centuries in order to achieve a (debatable) theoretical purity.

It may not be the function of a single, specific jury (except in unusual circumstances), but for the legal systems based on that of England, it certainly can be argued that it is the function of juries in general.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The function of juries is justice, not law. In common law countries, that means that the jury is free to say "not guilty and he can keep the pig", as the old joke goes.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
have you never heard of jury nullification, sharkshooter?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
have you never heard of jury nullification, sharkshooter?

Yes. I just disagree with it.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

quote:

It doesn't matter if the things people post are new or not; if you are bored, don't click on this thread. Also, in earlier posts you seem to have Limbo confused with Dead Horses. Just because a previous discussion of this topic has been deemed interesting enough to save in Limbo doesn't mean the same ground can't be covered again. It also doesn't mean anyone is obliged to read the previous discussion.

In short, do not attempt to moderate or limit discussion.

RuthW
Purgatory host

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
... do not attempt to moderate or limit discussion.

Sorry.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deterrence can only theoretically work, surely, against professional killers. Hit men. And other serial killers with a strong sense of self-preservation. I suppose it might have inhibited the murderers of that poor WPC in Bradford too. But probably not. Premeditation and consequential reasoning isn't the strong suit of such morons.

I'd allow for capital punishment in theory, but never - or rather I can't think of an exception - in practice in civil society.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However, do want to tackle something about this. People seem to almost think of sexual offenses as morally worse than murder. [No I am not saying that Sir Kevin said this specifically - just triggered my thoughts in this direction.] Paedophillia is a disgusting crime, as is rape, but are these acts not of a different order to murder ?

I think that's an interesting question. Paedophillia and rape can destroy a life; murder takes it. But then, if someone has been gang raped or brutalised in other ways as well (regardless of age), it could be said that they, too, have been robbed of their life.

Maybe it isn't so much that they are of a different order but of a similar order along different lines?

--------------------
'When ideas fail, words come in very handy' ~ Goethe

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
universalist
Shipmate
# 10318

- Posted      Profile for universalist   Author's homepage   Email universalist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does the doctrine of Capital Punishment say to the one convicted?

"There is no hope for you--you are not redeemable, you are not worth saving. You are beyond God's power to forgive and save you in this life. Therefore, all that is left is death for you.

"Capital Punishment" is the crowning ritual which celebrates "The Administration of Death"--St.Paul

Posts: 66 | From: portland oregon | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It only says that if it is invoked AFTER death, U. Not before. Before it it can only say we can't help you in this life, better luck in the next.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I meant to say is that the paedophile is as evil as, or no better than, the murderer, and both should be incarcerated for life with no possibility of parole.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interested in this from a Scriptural perspective: Gen9:6 is often cited by pro- people as justification for CP - what do Shipmates make of it?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Gen9:6 is often cited by pro- people as justification for CP - what do Shipmates make of it?

That it permits capital punishment for murder.

But (a) justice is better than mercy, and we can be Christlike by extending mercy

and (b) as others have said we can never be quite sure we've got the right convict and you can't undo an execution. So seeing as we are living in reasonbly settled and non-violent cultures with the ability to lock people up rather than do away with them, its better that we do that & not risk killing the wrong person. If we were living in little tribes in the desert things might be different.

--------------------
Ken

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Ken, this is dreadful, what are we going to do. We agree!

--------------------
Love wins

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Four Horsemen are surely nigh (or is that 'neigh')?!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
News report that the Virginia governor grants clemency to a convicted killer, by commuting his sentence to life in prison.

I am glad I voted for him.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Good news indeed. I'm glad your candidate was elected.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by universalist:

"There is no hope for you--you are not redeemable, you are not worth saving. You are beyond God's power to forgive and save you in this life. Therefore, all that is left is death for you.

This is almost exactly the conclusion I have come to as well, although I think of it in social terms: "You will never contribute anything positive to society no matter how long you live. You will never change. Therefore we are going to kill you."

I refuse to even attempt to make that kind of determination about another person, and I wonder at how others seem to think they can. I believe capital punishment is about revenge, no matter how many additional justifications get trotted out. OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
quote:
Gen9:6 is often cited by pro- people as justification for CP - what do Shipmates make of it?

That it permits capital punishment for murder.

But (a) justice is better than mercy, and we can be Christlike by extending mercy

and (b) as others have said we can never be quite sure we've got the right convict and you can't undo an execution. So seeing as we are living in reasonbly settled and non-violent cultures with the ability to lock people up rather than do away with them, its better that we do that & not risk killing the wrong person. If we were living in little tribes in the desert things might be different.

But fundies and conevos, who tend to be pros- , will cite Gen 9 ad nauseam for saying that, whatever the goodness of your above arguments, the death penalty is mandated by God because Man is in His image, and that therefore it is God's will.

--------------------

MightyAardvark
Apprentice
# 10255

- Posted      Profile for MightyAardvark   Email MightyAardvark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Where is it legal in the first world countries? Is it a deterrent?

No. The United States executes more people than the rest of the western world put together yet maintains homicide and violent crime rates grossly out of proportion to it's population.

QED
The death penalty is not an effective deterrent.

Posts: 19 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Sorry, missed edit window.

I wanted to add that fundies will also say that Gen 9 predates the Law, and therefore it is no use arguing with them that we're under the New Convenant now etc.

--------------------

MightyAardvark
Apprentice
# 10255

- Posted      Profile for MightyAardvark   Email MightyAardvark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
there is no biblically valid way of separating the laws of the old testament into laws we still follow and laws we don't follow. Either you follow them all (and stone homosexuals to death and dash the brains out of our children etc) or by the grace of God we are free from the need to abide by these rules.

Also...

God loves us all regardless of our misdeeds and I for one am not going to be a party to shivving up one of god's beloved children. That's just asking for an an almighty asskicking.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Agreed, but they would say that since Gen 9:6 predates the giving of the OT Law, it is not part of it and is therefore of universal application.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

OliviaG

I'm happy to make that determination without prejudice. Myra Hindley was a near classic case. She was UTTERLY humanly, socially irredeemable, no matter how penitent, repentant, forgiven by God; saved by the blood of the lamb. Which in her case still seemed questionable while STILL being ultimately open.

--------------------
Love wins

MightyAardvark
Apprentice
# 10255

quote:
Agreed, but they would say that since Gen 9:6 predates the giving of the OT Law, it is not part of it and is therefore of universal application.

They can make that argument if they want but I would still call it biblically invalid.
Jesus' new covenant replaced EVERYTHING that went before, regardless of where and when it came. Everything was washed away and made anew. The precise location it enjoys within the OT is not germane to the argument.

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard an interesting libertarian argument on how the death penalty should be implemented. The libertarian stated that because government sucks at everything it does, that the death penalty should be abolished. When asked what he would do if someone killed his sister he replied, "I would commit a crime myself, get thrown in jail and kill the bastard that killed my sister with my own hands."

Works for me.

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
This is almost exactly the conclusion I have come to as well, although I think of it in social terms: "You will never contribute anything positive to society no matter how long you live. You will never change. Therefore we are going to kill you."

Yes. A hopelessly botched job of any kind suggests an incompetent craftsman.

As chilling as such a statement is when applied to an adult, AFAIK laws are on the books in various states whereby the statement can be made to children.

Whereas it seems that various other countries never have to make that statement.

What does that say? 'Only America manages to botch so badly the craft of child-rearing.'

Great testimony for what America stands for, huh.

I suppose once in awhile even a master craftsman messes up to that extent. But he doesn't go out and parade the fact.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by MightyAardvark:
quote:

They can make that argument if they want but I would still call it biblically invalid.
Jesus' new covenant replaced EVERYTHING that went before, regardless of where and when it came. Everything was washed away and made anew. The precise location it enjoys within the OT is not germane to the argument.

They would doubtless argue that Jesus didn't replace the OT/ Law but fulfilled it

--------------------

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:

What does that say? 'Only America manages to botch so badly the craft of child-rearing.'

Great testimony for what America stands for, huh.

Yes, because all 297 Million of us 'Mericans are one homogenous case of bad parenting. We all beat our children, hand them crack pipes, and sell them to our neighbors for slaves. Yeah. Sure.

I sure hope I am misunderstanding you and you did not in fact make that ridiculous assertion.

quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
quote:
Originally posted by universalist:

I refuse to even attempt to make that kind of determination about another person, and I wonder at how others seem to think they can. I believe capital punishment is about revenge, no matter how many additional justifications get trotted out. OliviaG

So basically you should never be on a jury because on a jury you have to determine if someone actually IS a murdering nasty scumbag of a person and inflict revenge on them in the form of prison or death.

If the DP is revenge, so is prison.

[ 01. December 2005, 16:18: Message edited by: Mad Geo ]

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016