homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Harry and Terri - the Schiavo case (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Harry and Terri - the Schiavo case
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl:

You said it better than I did. Schiavo was not "brain damaged". She was "lacking a cerebral cortex anymore". That's what I meant by apples and oranges.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

a child on sydney harbour
# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not made myself clear. My concern is not based on Terri Schiavo and Donald Herbert having had the same medical problem; they don't. Although there are similarities.

Actually, just on apples and oranges, you can compare them. They are not the same, but an apple has more in common with an orange than with Donald Herbert. The ethical issues relating to ending the life of fruit are considerably less complex than the issues relating to the life of humans. Saying that Schiavo and Herbert can't be compared begs all sorts of questions.

The concern for me would be that hostile family members can in cases like this (long term coma) find expert medical opinion who will back the view that life support may legitimately be withdrawn, or that more active measures may be taken.

The father of a friend had a stroke two days ago, but is now (at the time of writing) conscious. This was bad enough, but what was genuinely alarming were the two doctor friends who suggested to my friend that now was the right time for an overdose of painkillers. This was after the father had recovered consciousness! When it comes to ethical questions, patients near death do have some commonalities; one of them is the alarming number of people who stand ready to pull the plug on them.

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

Posts: 4392 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016