homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Validity of baptism from other churches? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Validity of baptism from other churches?
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So how about baptism in these churches?

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GreyFace:
quote:
I'd be interested to know how you think you'd feel about the issue if they died the day before they were due to be baptised? I'm also interested in your explanation of how they're, according to your terms, not Christians now.

I don't think I would worry about that (except the loss). I actually remember a sermon years and years ago which may have impacted on me. The minister was saying, with great emphasis, that God would in no way condemn children. I think there must have been people in his congregation who identified god with condemnation.

IMO, baptism does not produce "salvation" or make someone a "Christian". It's a public witness that they identify themself as a Christian. It's up to us to decide and say that, if that's the vacabulary of our church or denomination.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chap
Shipmate
# 4926

- Posted      Profile for Chap   Author's homepage   Email Chap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Undiscovered Country:
The issue doesn't seem to be about one church accepting another church's baptism as valid. Raither its about accepting infant baptism as valid. A church that refused to accept a baptism as valid simply becuase it took place in another church would be deeply wrong. However not accepting infant baptism is a very different and justifable difference of theology. I am however concerned that your friend is getting baptised without understanding exactly why her infant baptism is not accepted as valid. I would expect any church to explain this as part of making sure a candidate understands the signifance and meaning of their baptism.

Posts: 454 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psyduck:
So how about baptism in these churches?

They may at some point do some teaching about baptism or be baptising someone and offer baptism to anyone who wants it (sometimes just there and then on the spot).

And some have a group that meets and goes through the teaching, beliefs and expectations of the church (congregation or denomination, though they don't usually all themselves that). People are then counted as members and allocated to house groups.

However, they will usually be invited to communion if they profess faith in the Lord Jesus whether they will have been baptised or not. It's usually regarded as their responsibility, not that of the church (unless they have done something horrendous and are banned from the church), to not be in a state of falling out with their "brother" so that they aquire God's judgement.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
GreyFace:
quote:
I'd be interested to know how you think you'd feel about the issue if they died the day before they were due to be baptised? I'm also interested in your explanation of how they're, according to your terms, not Christians now.

I don't think I would worry about that (except the loss). I actually remember a sermon years and years ago which may have impacted on me. The minister was saying, with great emphasis, that God would in no way condemn children. I think there must have been people in his congregation who identified god with condemnation.
Are you a Universalist then? Or do you think people can only be lost once they reach a certain age?

quote:
IMO, baptism does not produce "salvation" or make someone a "Christian". It's a public witness that they identify themself as a Christian.
But you wrote earlier:

quote:
Back to the OP - one of the minor reasons I would never have had my children sprinkled or immersed as babies was that it would not mess up any desire for them to be baptised after becoming christians.
My confusion stems from your implication there, that your children are not Christians now. Can only adults be Christians?
Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not Daisymay, but I think I understand where she is coming from. In answer to Greyface's quetions I would say that evangelicals tend to believe in an age of responsibility - when a child is old enough to make a Christian commitments for themselves, understanding what it means. The youngest I have heard any evangelicals claim to have 'become a christian' is age 5, but that is very unusual (most are much older).

And yes, we evangelicals don't believe our children are Christians until they make a profession for themselves. Whether its the archetypal 'praying the sinners prayer' or something more gradual, someone needs to come to a point in their life where they acknowledge that they are a sinner whom God has forgiven, and they want to follow him for the rest of their life. I'm no theologian, and I'm sure others could explain the evangelical position on children much more clearly, but this is my take on it, for what its worth.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracie
Shipmate
# 3870

- Posted      Profile for Gracie   Email Gracie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
The youngest I have heard any evangelicals claim to have 'become a christian' is age 5, but that is very unusual (most are much older).

I 'became a Christian' before I was 5. I don't know exactly how old I was but I know that it was before my Grandad died and he died before my 5th birthday. My eldest daughter became a Christian when she was 3. I have also heard of other people (some fairly well-known missionary-type people) who became Christians before the age of 5, but just now can't remember who they were.

I was baptised as a believer aged 13, and new for many years before that, that I ought to do so, but was afraid that I wouldn't be taken seriously by the adults in my parents' church.

--------------------
When someone is convinced he’s an Old Testament prophet there’s not a lot you can do with him rationally. - Sine

Posts: 1090 | From: En lieu sûr | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was nine when I supposedly became a Christian and was baptized. It was a farce. The Episcopal Church says it was valid, and I'm willing to take their word for it, but as far as I'm concerned, the deal was sealed when I was confirmed. I wouldn't base my theology on those feelings, but they haven't gone away in the twelve years since my confirmation either.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gracious Rebel:
quote:
And yes, we evangelicals don't believe our children are Christians until they make a profession for themselves.
Serious question. In fact, very serious question. And asked with all respect. What, in that case, is a Christian?

Gracie:
quote:
I 'became a Christian' before I was 5.
I would say that I was born a Christian - born into a Christian home in which the Christian faith surrounded me - well, I'd argue in utero. I was baptised as a very small infant, and Christ's people were always my people. I could have left, but never did. I'd say that I've always been a Christian. And yes, there have been many, many occasions on which I've publicly professed my faith - but I don't understand any of those as being anything to do with "becoming a Christian". My understanding is that I've always been a Christian.

Please understand that I'm not looking to deprecate anyone else's different understanding of what it means to "be" or "become" a Christian. I'm simply saying how it is with me.

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want anyone to mistake me for a Calvinist or anything [Paranoid] [Big Grin] but is it a meaningful question to ask from any point of view that has God involved?

I believe I became a Christian at my baptism at the very latest - because that's one of the things baptism is, becoming part of the Church. I took hold of the faith in various dribs and drabs for many years afterwards but that's not what was asked.

[spelling]

[ 21. March 2005, 21:00: Message edited by: GreyFace ]

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

The reason I asked was that it seems to me that some people probably wouldn't object too much to the suggestion that (a1) being a Christian is nothing to do with being baptised, whereas (a2)being baptised has everything to do with being a Christian; that (b) being baptised is nothing to do with being saved, whereas (c) being a Christian is everything to do with being saved, and the two may indeed be synonymous.

Other people seem to be saying that (a) being baptised is being a Christian, (b)that being a Christian, if it means anything, is very close to meaning "has been baptized", and (c) that it's possible for Christians as Christians to be eternally lost. (This last one I'm not clear on, but I do remember a clergy fraternal at which the lovely, but decidedly pre-Vatican II, RC priest answered a question from someone who clearly took the first position above - that the important thing was being a Christian, not baptism, and I think was saying that not everybody who was baptised was a Christian - by saying that for all that Baptismal regeneration is real, if someone who had been baptised went to hell, they went as a baptised Christian.

I think this shocked the person he was talking to, but it did make it quite clear that for him, "Christian" wasn't synonymous with "saved".

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(This last one I'm not clear on, but I do remember a clergy fraternal at which the lovely, but decidedly pre-Vatican II, RC priest answered a question from someone who clearly took the first position above - that the important thing was being a Christian, not baptism, and I think was saying that not everybody who was baptised was a Christian - by saying that for all that Baptismal regeneration is real, if someone who had been baptised went to hell, they went as a baptised Christian.

I think this shocked the person he was talking to, but it did make it quite clear that for him, "Christian" wasn't synonymous with "saved".

I don't think that that is decidely pre-Vatican II. God works unfailingly and irresistably through the Sacraments. When someone is baptised, God pours out His sanctifying grace and configures the person being baptised to Christ. That baptised person may well fall away from the state of grace into which he or she is re-born in baptism. If the fall is a serious matter, undertaken freely and with full knowledge and is not repented of before death, then Hell awaits. Fulfilling such conditions is, at least now, widely held to be difficult but there is a respectable view in Catholic thought that if there is anyone in Hell, they would have to be baptised (in order to have any chance of full knowledge of the seriousness of the unrepented sin freely committed).

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well for me, being a Christian is synonymous with being 'saved'. I guess this is the typical evangelical position, which is why we find it hard to stomach things such as baptismal regeneration.

By the way, I'm not ignoring your earlier question addressed to me 'What is a Christian?', just hoping that instead of me fumbling for the right words, one of the more articulate evangelicals can try to explain our position to you. Custard? Gordon? Lep? Anyone? [Help]

[ 21. March 2005, 21:40: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Trisagion:
quote:
I don't think that that is decidely pre-Vatican II.
No, I'm sorry, it was definitely the priest who was pre-Vatican II, not necessarily what he said in this case. The reminiscence was meant to illuminate the starkness of his statement of the Roman Catholic position, not to suggest that somehow teaching had changed.

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fine, Psyduck. By the way, I have your signature line laminated on my office wall - yn gymraeg, wrth gwrs!

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
Fulfilling such conditions is, at least now, widely held to be difficult but there is a respectable view in Catholic thought that if there is anyone in Hell, they would have to be baptised (in order to have any chance of full knowledge of the seriousness of the unrepented sin freely committed).

Surely then Our Lord would have ordered the Apostles to be thoroughly sure they never baptised anyone?
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Gwir y gair, onide?

"Strange place for pride to lurk - in houses built on the sand!"

--------------------

Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I might disagree with the understanding of baptism in the historic believers' baptism traditions, but I recognise that there is theology involved and that it does have a historical foundation (even if it a mere 400 years!).

Sorry, I couldn't just let this lie. it's quite insulting really.

Believer's baptism is the oldest form of Christian baptism, with the baptism of infants coming many centuries later.

Formalised Baptist churches may be relatively recent in the history of the church, but those who have held to the biblical pattern of baptising believers have been around for 2000 years.

Warm regards
M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
Surely then Our Lord would have ordered the Apostles to be thoroughly sure they never baptised anyone?

Are you sure that you weren't conducting the vivas in Systematic Theology at Leuven in the late 80s?

It's too late to attempt a systematic response to that but I would want to say something about desiring all to be saved, that is configured to Christ, but wanting that to be a free choice made in love, which must at least theoretically allow for the possiblity of rejection, even final rejection.

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
Gwir y gair, onide?

Yn siwr iawn.

quote:
"Strange place for pride to lurk - in houses built on the sand!"
What a hive of aphorisms you are.

--------------------

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IMO, baptism does not produce "salvation" or make someone a "Christian". It's a public witness that they identify themself as a Christian. It's up to us to decide and say that, if that's the vacabulary of our church or denomination.

I'm sure Pelagius would be gratified to know he still has support in these Isles after all those years...

No baptism doesn't 'produce' salvation. God does that in Christ by the working of the Spirit. Baptism is the normative means by which it is covenanted, although, of course, salvation is not the sole preserve of the baptised (the Kingdom is not the Church.) As for making someone a Christian - the word means 'someone who is baptised' (compare 'christening'). That is what it has meant for most of the Church's history for most members of the Church. The fact that a relatively small number of (largely) Europeans and Americans since the 16th century have wanted to define Christianity in terms of what we do for God rather than of what God does for us (in baptism) is not a good reason to refrain from this use.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Believer's baptism is the oldest form of Christian baptism, with the baptism of infants coming many centuries later.

Evidence?
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
I'm sure Pelagius would be gratified to know he still has support in these Isles after all those years...

No baptism doesn't 'produce' salvation. God does that in Christ by the working of the Spirit. Baptism is the normative means by which it is covenanted, although, of course, salvation is not the sole preserve of the baptised (the Kingdom is not the Church.) As for making someone a Christian - the word means 'someone who is baptised' (compare 'christening'). That is what it has meant for most of the Church's history for most members of the Church. The fact that a relatively small number of (largely) Europeans and Americans since the 16th century have wanted to define Christianity in terms of what we do for God rather than of what God does for us (in baptism) is not a good reason to refrain from this use.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...No baptism doesn't 'produce' salvation. God does that in Christ by the working of the Spirit. Baptism is the normative means by which it is covenanted, although, of course, salvation is not the sole preserve of the baptised (the Kingdom is not the Church.) As for making someone a Christian - the word means 'someone who is baptised' (compare 'christening'). That is what it has meant for most of the Church's history for most members of the Church. The fact that a relatively small number of (largely) Europeans and Americans since the 16th century have wanted to define Christianity in terms of what we do for God rather than of what God does for us (in baptism) is not a good reason to refrain from this use.

So infant baptism is right cause that's the way it has been done by a lot of institutions with more people in them and, anyways, the meaning of the word Christian doesn't support BB?

I respect the theological arguements against BB; this isn't one of them.

BTW, your attempt to marginalise BB by implying people who BB are Eurocentric is questionable. IIRC, there are more of both BB and IB practioners in the 3rd world then in the 1st.

[ 21. March 2005, 22:50: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you've completely misread what I was saying. I was attacking the idea that 'Christianity' is a product of our praxis and defending the idea that Christianity is a divinely given identity given in baptism. I certainly know supporters of believers' baptism who would agree with that position - I think they're inconsistent, but that's another issue. I just wasn't writing about the BB/ IB question.

[ 21. March 2005, 22:59: Message edited by: Divine Outlaw Dwarf ]

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

PS: Yes, 'large numbers of people' having done something does matter, if one takes Tradition to be one of the sources of Christian theology. So, it turns out that I was presenting a 'theological' argument after all. You don't agree with it, and that's fine, but it was theological for all that.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Gracie
Shipmate
# 3870

- Posted      Profile for Gracie   Email Gracie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Gracie:
I would say that I was born a Christian - born into a Christian home in which the Christian faith surrounded me - well, I'd argue in utero. I was baptised as a very small infant, and Christ's people were always my people. I could have left, but never did. I'd say that I've always been a Christian. And yes, there have been many, many occasions on which I've publicly professed my faith - but I don't understand any of those as being anything to do with "becoming a Christian". My understanding is that I've always been a Christian.

Please understand that I'm not looking to deprecate anyone else's different understanding of what it means to "be" or "become" a Christian. I'm simply saying how it is with me.

And I respect your understanding, Psyduck. Maybe the differnce is that I was clearly understood from what was said in my family as a very young child that it was impossible to be born a Christian, even if you were born into a Christian family. I remember knowing that I wasn't a Christian, and I also remember "becoming" a Christian. I originally posted this in response to Gracious Rebel's comments suggesting that in Evangelical circles, this was, if not impossible, more or less unheard of before the age of 5. I wasn't trying to get into an argument with people who believe that they were born Christians.

For me becoming a Christian was a very private thing. I only publicly professed my faith many years later.

[fixed code]

[ 22. March 2005, 15:21: Message edited by: John Holding ]

--------------------
When someone is convinced he’s an Old Testament prophet there’s not a lot you can do with him rationally. - Sine

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Divine Outlaw-Dwarf:
quote:
No baptism doesn't 'produce' salvation. God does that in Christ by the working of the Spirit. Baptism is the normative means by which it is covenanted, although, of course, salvation is not the sole preserve of the baptised (the Kingdom is not the Church.)
Well, this last bit of the discussion has been very enlightening for me - and reassuring. It's perfectly clear to me that the practice of the Reformed tradition is on the Catholic side of this divide.

Matrix:
quote:
Infant baptism is, of course, scriptural. People were baptized along with their households: Acts 16:15. You're confusing adult baptism witgh believer's baptism. They aren't the same thing. That's why in times of persecution and the Disciplina Arcani you had such a stress on adult baptism, whereas after Constantine there was a reversion to infant baptism, and this was of course consolidated by the development of the understanding that the unbaptized could not go to heaven. But the important thing about that was that it had to be a secondary development from the existence of infant baptism, not the other way around. I certainly acknowledge that adult baptism is the focus of NT attention - not least because adults are the societal units who count, in antiquity. But you could equally well say that notwithstanding that, there's nothing corresponding to early-modern believers' baptism in the NT.

I see only baptism as God's gift there, not as the response of faith. Unless by the gift of the Holy Spirit, we mean something given to us as a private gift, to be used autonomously. And I'm sure none of us believes that it is that. (I've just done a quick traverse of 107 instances of the root bapt- in the RSV NT, and I'm completely confirmed in this opinion. I'm contrasting John's baptism with 'Christian' baptism, of course.)

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well to throw some other things into the pot:

Evangelicals would argue that you cannot inherit faith. Christianity either means something to you - in the here and now, or it means nothing at all. You cannot be a grandchild of God.

I think to attempt to clarify the positions, there are one group of christians who believe in the 'opt-out' (ie you are in the church until such-time as you decide otherwise) type of faith and another which believe in the 'opt-in' (ie you are not in the church even if you have been in it all your life unless you make a personal commitment) type of faith. Of course the positions are more complicated than that, but as I said before, it is another manifestation of the differences in mindset.

In consequence, people from the other side of the argument always find it difficult to understand.

Speaking personally, I have always had a problem with 'child' christian commitments. This is basically because before you get to a certain age (which is different for each individual) it is impossible to tell a) how much understanding is attached to the words you are saying and b) how much influence significant others have had on you. Until a child can decide rationally and separate their beliefs from the accepted (normally parential) beliefs, I would argue that such statements are largely worthless.

The thing is that much of the evangelical mindset revolves around a notion of a conversion experience and so you elevate a particular day to undue importance.... even if that is at the age of three when you forsook your wicked evil little life.

To me saying that 'this is where I am now, this is generally how I got here and quite where I crossed the line between unbelief into belief is anyone's guess' is as close as I can get. I couldn't even name the year. So I don't neatly fit within any of the boxes.

C

--------------------
arse

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Indeed. His support comes from those who believe an un-asked for work of ritual dispensed by the right church with the right formula (and NOT otherwise) brings one into the Christian family.

I have to say the idea that the evangelical position is MORE Pelagian than the Catholic one is pretty much laughable.

The evangelical position on "being a Christian" is AFAIK that one is brought into the kingdom of God by faith in Christ. This faith cannot be passed on to you by someone else, nor can it be foisted on you by the decision of your family or the church hierarchy. Hence Believers Baptism.

Cheesy wrote:
quote:
To me saying that 'this is where I am now, this is generally how I got here and quite where I crossed the line between unbelief into belief is anyone's guess' is as close as I can get. I couldn't even name the year. So I don't neatly fit within any of the boxes.

This is pretty much my own experience as well. Most evangelicals I know would be nervous of placing too much emphasis on "the date and time".

[ 22. March 2005, 08:19: Message edited by: Leprechaun ]

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Leprechaun:
quote:
Indeed. His support comes from those who believe an un-asked for work of ritual dispensed by the right church with the right formula (and NOT otherwise) brings one into the Christian family.
Eh???? That's definitely not the Pelagius I know! Quite seriously, I think that many evangelicals would be horrified to realise just how spiritually close they are to Pelagius, and to the terrible danger of turning faith into a work - "the right faith, taught by the right church, with the right formula".

quote:
The evangelical position on "being a Christian" is AFAIK that one is brought into the kingdom of God by faith in Christ. This faith cannot be passed on to you by someone else...
With you until the last bit. See, I believe that faith, as a trusting response to Christ, is God's gift, and that it simply isn't possible to judge who has it and who hasn't.

But I certainly believe that the human, psychological actuality of being brought up in the faith of a Christian family and church is that you're in it until you reject it - and that can be a bad thing as well as a good thing, in human and psychological terms.

Most of the evangelicals I know are warm, human people - but I just can't see how, on their account of faith, children and those incapable of a cognitive grasp of the faith (and I'm very clear that they are two different categories) can be saved.

I don't believe that faith as such saves. I believe that God saves, in Christ, and that saving faith is precisely believing that. Not believing that we believe it. And Baptism is about God's saving love and grace in Christ - not about faith in it.

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
Indeed. [Pelagius'] support comes from those who believe an un-asked for work of ritual dispensed by the right church with the right formula (and NOT otherwise) brings one into the Christian family.

I'm sure St Augustine will be interested to hear that.

quote:
I have to say the idea that the evangelical position is MORE Pelagian than the Catholic one is pretty much laughable.
Is there another distinction in evangelicalism to be made between those with Calvinist leanings, and those with Arminian? I find it interesting though not surprising that the Reformed position sides with the Catholic.

quote:
The evangelical position on "being a Christian" is AFAIK that one is brought into the kingdom of God by faith in Christ. This faith cannot be passed on to you by someone else, nor can it be foisted on you by the decision of your family or the church hierarchy. Hence Believers Baptism.
I believe a good Calvinist would also say that one who has been predestined for the kingdom from the beginning of time, has been Christian from long before their birth. Your view of faith in this last quoted paragraph looks remarkably Arminian in character, Lep.
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

GreyFace:
quote:
I believe a good Calvinist would also say that one who has been predestined for the kingdom from the beginning of time, has been Christian from long before their birth.
I of course, as a somewhat decaffeinated Calvinist, prefer to say it as
quote:
I believe that faith, as a trusting response to Christ, is God's gift, and that it simply isn't possible to judge who has it and who hasn't.

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
I believe a good Calvinist would also say that one who has been predestined for the kingdom from the beginning of time, has been Christian from long before their birth. Your view of faith in this last quoted paragraph looks remarkably Arminian in character, Lep.

IME you believe wrongly about Calvinists. Nearly all I have met would not say that someone has been a Christian from the time they were predestined. Rather that regeneration and faith come at the time of salvation, and that "being saved" and "becoming a Christian" are to be equated. In which order regeneration and faith come depends on how Calvinist you are.

--------------------
He hath loved us, He hath loved us, because he would love

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's definitely not the Pelagius I know! Quite seriously, I think that many evangelicals would be horrified to realise just how spiritually close they are to Pelagius, and to the terrible danger of turning faith into a work - "the right faith, taught by the right church, with the right formula".

Ah - but thats not a work, Psyduck. Thats an obligation (totally different, [Biased] )

quote:

But I certainly believe that the human, psychological actuality of being brought up in the faith of a Christian family and church is that you're in it until you reject it - and that can be a bad thing as well as a good thing, in human and psychological terms.

Most of the evangelicals I know are warm, human people - but I just can't see how, on their account of faith, children and those incapable of a cognitive grasp of the faith (and I'm very clear that they are two different categories) can be saved.

I think there are distinct and probably overlapping evangelical schools of thought. Some, perhaps think that all unbelievers (including children etc) are automatically unsaved. Others believe that God will look favourably on children and other vulnerable people. I've also heard that God will judge these people on what they would have done had they had a full life/other opportunities. In fairness, I don't think there are many evangelicals I know who would cast children into hell.

quote:
I don't believe that faith as such saves. I believe that God saves, in Christ, and that saving faith is precisely believing that. Not believing that we believe it. And Baptism is about God's saving love and grace in Christ - not about faith in it.
Well, yes. And I think this touches on Greyface's point about calvinism too. I guess the nearest I can offer as an explanation is that whilst it is God that is doing the saving, it is our responsibility to respond to that. Hence if one believes that we are saved from the beginning of time and at the same time that baptism is a sign of faith, then it is vitally important to only only baptise those who are known to be saved.

To baptise those who may or may not in the future be shown to be saved makes a nonsense of it (I think they would argue).

C

--------------------
arse

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I might disagree with the understanding of baptism in the historic believers' baptism traditions, but I recognise that there is theology involved and that it does have a historical foundation (even if it is a mere 400 years!).

Sorry, I couldn't just let this lie. it's quite insulting really.

Formalised Baptist churches may be relatively recent in the history of the church, but those who have held to the biblical pattern of baptising believers have been around for 2000 years.

As others have asked where is the evidence that the baptism of infants came centuries later? The whole households in Acts point towards infant baptism IMO. Even if, as I have heard some evangelicals claim, there were no infants in those households,* the fact that households where baptised on the decision of the head of the household points to a different understanding of baptism than that claimed by believers' only baptists. Secondly, St Polycarp who talked of having served the Lord for fourscore and six years (i.e 86) is often taken as evidence for infant baptism in the apostolic age.

I was also not talking about the pratice of baptising adults (which has always happened)** but of the theology of baptism held by believers' only baptists.

Cheesy* quoth:
quote:
Speaking personally, I have always had a problem with 'child' christian commitments. This is basically because before you get to a certain age (which is different for each individual) it is impossible to tell a) how much understanding is attached to the words you are saying and b) how much influence significant others have had on you. Until a child can decide rationally and separate their beliefs from the accepted (normally parential) beliefs, I would argue that such statements are largely worthless.
I'm not sure that on that basis anyone can be a Christian! Certainly, significant others will always influence us. I suppose part of the lack of understanding here is that, for those of us arguing for a being a Christian since (at least) when we were baptised as an infant, there is much less emphasis put on one `moment of commitment'. As I grew up within the Church which I had entered at my baptism, I came to understand more fully what this meant and gradually made it my own. I was confirmed at my own request at 13, but that wasn't the end of the story. It carries on. I continue to chose to turn to Christ.

I am also wary about making some basic level of understanding necessary for being a Christian. The Biblical test is saying 'Jesus is Lord' and unlike an evangelical I was heard, I'm not sure that does depend on what we mean by Jesus, is and Lord. I think we can say that with only a hazy idea of what it means and then come to understand it more fully, something I think we never stop doing (both intellectually and in terms of the implications it has for how we live).

*A claim that I think unlikly given demographics.
** I did once talk to someone (on the fringes of the Church) who thought that those of us who baptised infants only baptised infants and so she'd missed her chance!

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Leprechaun:
quote:
IME you believe wrongly about Calvinists. Nearly all I have met would not say that someone has been a Christian from the time they were predestined. Rather that regeneration and faith come at the time of salvation, and that "being saved" and "becoming a Christian" are to be equated. In which order regeneration and faith come depends on how Calvinist you are.
Well, I don't. With the best will in the world, I don't think that these people are Calvinists, but evangelicals who think they are Calvinist - and indeed say they are, which they have every right to do. They don't even have to explain the contradictions in their positions, if they don't want to. But on the basis of the unfolding of this thread, I'm reinforced in my own conviction that you can't be a Calvinist and an evangelical, or a Calvinist and a Baptist, without the kinds of contradictions that mean that you are only the one when you stop being the other momentarily. Specifically, I don't believe that the doctrine of grace implicit in believers' baptism is compatible with a Reformed position.

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
Hence if one believes that we are saved from the beginning of time and at the same time that baptism is a sign of faith, then it is vitally important to only only baptise those who are known to be saved.

I can see how that works from the framework of what you think baptism is. But how then can you baptise anyone? My understanding of hardline Calvinism is that when someone falls away from the faith in later years their former faith is declared as a sham, since someone with saving faith can't be lost. Oops, but you've baptised them.

quote:
To baptise those who may or may not in the future be shown to be saved makes a nonsense of it (I think they would argue).
But this must be the case for everyone unless we can pre-empt the final judgement that belongs to Christ.
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Cheesy:
quote:
Hence if one believes that we are saved from the beginning of time and at the same time that baptism is a sign of faith, then it is vitally important to only only baptise those who are known to be saved.

You're absolutely right - and doesn't that show how ridiculously distorted an argument that is?

At a synod in Denbigh in I think 1812, a bunch of hypercalvinist Methodists were going a mile a minute on this general theme, and one of them (I can't remember who) came away with the gem that if he knew who in his congregation was saved, he'd only preach to them! [Roll Eyes] The basis of course was limited atonement.

As it happened, Robert ap Gwilym Ddu, the poetic genius, was asked about this, and off the top of his head produced this englyn (a poetic form which is several million times harder to do than a haiku!)

Paham y gwneir cam a'r cymod - a'r iawn
A' rinwedd dros bechod?
Dywedwch faint y Duwdod -
'Run faint iw'r Iawn i fod.

Roughly:

Why is the Covenant wronged - and the Atonement,
And its power (virtue) over sin?
Tell me how big God is -
That's how big the Atonement should be.

What he was militating against was this fusion of Calvinism and evangelicalismwhich makes God as much of a prisoner of the Decrees as the rest of us. Seventeenth-century Calvinism is a scholastic desert, and late eighteenth-century evangelical Calvinism is a theological and human Chernobyl. There's only one place to go if you want a Reformed faith that's any use, and that's teh sixteenth century.

The Scottish Reformation Fathers believed that Baptism, like Communion, was a 'converting ordinance" It had the power to change lives, because God's Word was in it, and God's Word is Christ.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

quote:
iw'r
Aargh! Should have been

quote:
yw'r
of course! [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And A' rinwedd should presumably have been A'i rinwedd?

Carys

[random line break]

[ 22. March 2005, 10:25: Message edited by: Carys ]

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:
Well many Evangelicals do not see Baptism as a Sacrament: not all, mind you.

I think anyone who uses the word 'sacrament' at all will admit that baptism is one of them. The standard reformed account is of two 'gospel' sacraments, baptism and the Lord's Supper.
I would use the term 'sacrament' quite a lot but I would not believe that baptism is necessary for salvation.

Is it that the one baptism (as in one Lord, one faith, one baptism) mentioned in the Bible is the baptism by the Holy Spirit at conversion (for you were all baptised by the one Spirit into the one Body)?

For me then, baptism is a spiritual transaction - being born again - and may or may not be symbolised by the washing with a tankful of water, the sprinkling with a few drops from a font, or indeed 'dry-cleaning' (hope that's not irreverent) in a Salvation Army 'swearing-in' ceremony. In all these symbolic ceremonies the candidate bears allegiance to Christ as Lord, witnesses to his faith in him, his new life and his union with the Body of Christ as visible in the congregation.

I don't belioeve baptism in the outward sense actually does anything for the soul, but it may certainly reflect that spiritual transaction, already made, where Christ, the TRUE sacrament of God, is received by grace through faith.

I think there are far more sacraments than the 2 or even the 7.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

By the way, Psyduck, congratulations on the wonderful Welsh victory last Saturday. Definitely predestined, but needed a lot of work to bring it into being. [Biased]

I think there are people who believe in conversion/being born again/being saved/becoming a Christian etc. who take on board the realisation that someone who is (usually) brought up in a Christian home responds to God by instinct. The baptism would be their public affirmation of that.

It isoften to the irritation and joking about,when a child or teenager of that ilk is asked, "When were you converted?" "What is your testimony?" I remember hearing one of my children say to a group of visitors from the east who were sharing testimonies, and was asked for his, "My problem is that I was brought up as a christian..."

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:

What he was militating against was this fusion of Calvinism and evangelicalismwhich makes God as much of a prisoner of the Decrees as the rest of us. Seventeenth-century Calvinism is a scholastic desert, and late eighteenth-century evangelical Calvinism is a theological and human Chernobyl. There's only one place to go if you want a Reformed faith that's any use, and that's teh sixteenth century.

That's pretty rude.

But aside from that you seem to be saying Calvinism=Universalism. I doubt Calvin would have gone for that.

Gracie
Shipmate
# 3870

quote:

...I'm reinforced in my own conviction that you can't be a Calvinist and an evangelical, or a Calvinist and a Baptist, without the kinds of contradictions that mean that you are only the one when you stop being the other momentarily. Specifically, I don't believe that the doctrine of grace implicit in believers' baptism is compatible with a Reformed position.

I'm not sure that I've followed all of your argument correctly, but I don't understand why believers' baptism is incompatible with a Reformed position, or indeed why one cannot be Reformed and evangelical. Could you explain?

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Mudfrog:
quote:
Is it that the one baptism (as in one Lord, one faith, one baptism) mentioned in the Bible is the baptism by the Holy Spirit at conversion (for you were all baptised by the one Spirit into the one Body)?
[Overused]

That's it!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Carys:
quote:
A' rinwedd should presumably have been A'i rinwedd?

Damn! (Metaphorically.) Missed that one.

Leprechaun:
quote:
That's pretty rude.
Well yes - but only to dead people. I presume that anyone on these boards is serious about being a twenty-first - century whatever.
quote:
But aside from that you seem to be saying Calvinism=Universalism. I doubt Calvin would have gone for that.
Eh? To go back from the eighteenth to the sixteenth century is universalism? I don't see how. Anyway, I'm not a universalist. (I don't know whether God is, though, which is a more important, if less answerable, question than whether Calvin was...)

Gracie - I'll get back to you. Fair question, deserving of moire time than I've got right now.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

From Psyduck
quote:
you can't be a Calvinist and an evangelical, or a Calvinist and a Baptist
Oh dear you've just written off my entire denomination
[Eek!] [Frown]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
From Psyduck
quote:
[Eek!] [Frown]

I don't want to disagree with your specialist knowledge G-r, but I understood that the Grace Baptists took great pride in not being a denomination....

C

--------------------
arse

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
quote:
From Psyduck
quote:
[Eek!] [Frown]

I don't want to disagree with your specialist knowledge G-r, but I understood that the Grace Baptists took great pride in not being a denomination....

C

yes you are right cheesy. It was a lazy use of language.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016