homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Well Hooray. Guardian Readers Will Tell Me How To Vote (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Well Hooray. Guardian Readers Will Tell Me How To Vote
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barabas:
And you don't think the outside world should have a say in whether a man like Bush is returned to power? [Confused]

There is a process in place for you to have your say. It's called the citizenship process. If you're not willing to do that, then NO YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE A SAY in who the US elects.

Go fuck yourself.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And you don't think the outside world should have a say in whether a man like Bush is returned to power? [Confused]

I live in Britain and am a more-or-less humble web user and poster.

I have no say in whether George W Bush is elected on Nov 2nd nor in whether Barabas retains his posting rights on this board.

Believe me, I've got opinions on both issues, but there is nothing I can do about either; it isn't in my power.

Hey Barabas, how long before you reach Shipmate and we can take aim at these targets you draw all over yourself?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais.:
Hey Barabas, how long before you reach Shipmate and we can take aim at these targets you draw all over yourself?

Why wait?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O God, I'm almost crying with laughter as I type this. Barabas, you and your ideological conjoined twin in stupidity have managed two things I didn't think I'd ever see: Alan using the word "fuck" in a post, and Jerry Boam and Zach agreeing politically.

Oh. Oh my! Excuse me, please, I have to go laugh some more!

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

- Posted      Profile for Jerry Boam   Email Jerry Boam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Maybe I can paraphrase the argument of Barabas?

"I want Americans to vote in my best interest"

Presumably it follows he'll listen to the American people when it comes round to our election - then he can return the favour and vote in Americas best interest.

Doesn't that seem fair? Of course it's fair. Totally fucking stupid, but fair.

Alan, I am surprised!

You are normally a paragon of virtue on these boards, spreading informed common sense, rational perspective and disciplined thinking wherever you post...

But be honest, here--you just made that up. There is no argument in Barabas' words. You have taken the hodge podge of snide taunts and extraneous recitations of fact and sentiment that constitute his emissions here and imagined an argument that might lie behind them.

I know you mean well, but you should let him try to do it on his own. He may even be capable of it--scant evidence so far, I'll admit, but you never know if he'll sink or swim until the last air bubble rises.

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Posts: 2165 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd write a letter. Someone might change their mind and vote the right way. You can't argue that who the American president is doesn't affect the rest of the world.

I don't think I WOULD have a problem with Americans writing to tell me how to vote next year in the UK. You can just ignore them, just like you ignore anything else.

Anyway, I'm getting a US vote. Hopefully.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Boam:
But be honest, here--you just made that up. There is no argument in Barabas' words. You have taken the hodge podge of snide taunts and extraneous recitations of fact and sentiment that constitute his emissions here and imagined an argument that might lie behind them.

Good point. I plead that I'm only human, and we do have a tendancy to look for patterns in random events - constellations if star distribution, pictures from clouds etc.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophthalmos:
I'd write a letter. Someone might change their mind and vote the right way. You can't argue that who the American president is doesn't affect the rest of the world.

I don't think I WOULD have a problem with Americans writing to tell me how to vote next year in the UK. You can just ignore them, just like you ignore anything else.

Anyway, I'm getting a US vote. Hopefully.

Just for you, I am voting for BUSH.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fine. If you want to shaft everyone else as well as your own country, that's your prerogative.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd write a letter. Someone might change their mind and vote the right way.

This, of course, assumes there is a 'right' way and that it is plainly obvious to a Guardian reader if not to an American voter.

Do you have a Monster Raving Loony party in the US? I think we might have a candidate for the future.

C

--------------------
arse

The Undiscovered Country
Shipmate
# 4811

- Posted      Profile for The Undiscovered Country   Email The Undiscovered Country   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
MEMO

TO: Guardian Readers Telling Americans For Whom to Vote
DATE: Nov 2 2004
RE: Guardian article
===============================

Fuck off.

--America

That's the US' mission statement isn't it?

--------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man adapts the world to himself. Therefore all hope of progress rests with the unreasonable man.

Posts: 1216 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barrabas
Lifeman's sockpuppet
# 8632

- Posted      Profile for Barrabas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by duchess:

This has to be a wind up!

The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And, yes, Erin and even the Riv are counted among your betters in these matters.

Dearest Jerry, though I'm proud to be mentioned in the same breath with the venerable Erin, you may want to apologize to her. Oh, and thanks for the laugh.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
This, of course, assumes there is a 'right' way and that it is plainly obvious to a Guardian reader if not to an American voter.

Sorry. The right way as I see it.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is, as KenWritez giggles, an amusing shift of oeuvre.

By all means, use forums like this one to express opinions about anything on the globe. It's a great thing to do so. But for a media source to suggest and organize a peer-pressure style political propaganda is what nations at war do.

[Links arms with Jerry Boam and Zach82]
Aaaallll we are saaaaaayyy-iiinnnng...
Is fuck off and diiiiiiiieeeee.

[ 14. October 2004, 16:07: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

I don't see it as being a peer-pressure style political propaganda movement.

I see it as a way of voicing global concerns to the best audience.

I'm not going to write a letter. Too lazy and apathetic by half.

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Undiscovered Country:
quote:
MEMO

TO: Guardian Readers Telling Americans For Whom to Vote
DATE: Nov 2 2004
RE: Guardian article
===============================

Fuck off.

--America

That's the US' mission statement isn't it?
Oh damn! Speaking as a member of the Vast American Fundamentalist Right-Wing Conspiracy to Dominate the Earth with Fast Food, Fire and Sword, I'm appalled we've been that transparent.

Clearly, secrecy is for shit around HQ here. Damn.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Undiscovered Country
Shipmate
# 4811

- Posted      Profile for The Undiscovered Country   Email The Undiscovered Country   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C'mon US, don't be so pompous. Where's the harm? Why shouldn't people in one country express views about another? If US voters take any notice its their own choice and their own fault.

I seem to remeber US politicians having plenty to say about Northern Ireland, even though it was none of their business.

[ 14. October 2004, 16:07: Message edited by: The Undiscovered Country ]

--------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man adapts the world to himself. Therefore all hope of progress rests with the unreasonable man.

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

Too right.

--------------------

Barrabas
Lifeman's sockpuppet
# 8632

- Posted      Profile for Barrabas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to forget that Ken Bigley would probably be alive today if America had't stepped in stop it's puppet rulers from releasing a woman scientist.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:

Do you really think that a few people in one county of one state are the best audience? And, do you think sending unsolicited mail (aka spam) to people who probably don't care what Brits think anyway is a good method?

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a partly political broadcast to the nations.

(You could...possibly, maybe) Vote United States National Offical Monster Raving Loony Party Candidate (USNOMRLP) Hollywood Dave.
quote:

Emergency Preparedness policy: In areas prone to hurricanes, the USNOMRLP proposes to form the Federal Approaching Hurricane Relief Team (FAHRT).
FAHRT will issue everyone living within one-half mile of a threatened coastal area with a personal fan (you know, the ones you can get in the dollar stores-they take two 1.5 volt batteries and you can slip them in your pocket).
When weather monitoring organizations announce the impending arrival of a hurricane, all FAHRT members in that area will line up along the beach and as the hurricane approaches, they will activate their fans. The resulting rush of wind will stop; the offending hurricane in it’s tracks and send it scurrying back from whence it came.

This message is brought to you in the name of balance by the British people. Never say we don't give you anything.

C

--------------------
arse

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not saying that it's illegal, or immoral, or anything else that is going to make the gloves come off.

I'm saying it's offensive in its rudeness. You may expect offensive rudeness in return, you arrogant shitheads.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Not to forget that Ken Bigley would probably be alive today if America had't stepped in stop it's puppet rulers from releasing a woman scientist.

I'm so sorry to hear about your braincell, bara. Maybe you'll get reunited with it next week, I hope so.

THEN YOU MIGHT START TALKING SENSE YOU GIBBERING IDIOT.

C

--------------------
arse

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:

Bullshit.
I'm loudly against the war in Iraq (now that there's no WMD), but this claim is just plain stupid.

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

RooK - I'm all for arrogance and rudeness in return. We in Britain obviously know better about who the President of the USA should be. Care to have a go at our political system? I'm all ears. (Well, actually, I'm one, singular eye...perhaps eye should get a new avatar?)

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

Do you really think that a few people in one county of one state are the best audience? And, do you think sending unsolicited mail (aka spam) to people who probably don't care what Brits think anyway is a good method?
No, of course not. But unfortunately they haven't yet invented a way of transmitting directly into the entire population of a country's brainwaves.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look, your country elects Bush's lapdog, so clearly you're not effective enough to influence the elections you CAN vote in. Once you get your own house in order then you are free to take a shot at ours.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

Bullshit.
I'm loudly against the war in Iraq (now that there's no WMD), but this claim is just plain stupid.

They just dug up yet another grave full of dead Kurds the other day to use as evidence against Saddam (read off of google yesterday). Things are more complex than they seem.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

Well, they're kind of both my houses...

I would categorise myself as British, but that doesn't mean I'm not American.

--------------------

Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

- Posted      Profile for Jerry Boam   Email Jerry Boam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I seem to remeber US politicians having plenty to say about Northern Ireland, even though it was none of their business.

Oh yes, that's right! How could I forget that massive letter-writing campaign sponsored by the Boston Globe?

You, remember--the one which had Americans inundating UK citizens with Instructions to vote the tories out so that our puppet (Blair) could start doing his bit to further our global hegemony! Thatcher had megalomaniacal delusions of grandeur (thought she was an equal because she called him 'Ronnie') and the dull gray chap was completely incompetent in executing his orders from Washington.

A grand letter writing campaign and a successful one.

And how the English, Walish, and Scotties loved it! I wish I had a little treat for each of them! They can sit and roll over too!

If you want to vote in the US elections, have your government apply to Congress for statehood.

--------------------

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

Wasn't Undiscovered Country talking about Clinton?

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

quote:
C'mon US, don't be so pompous. Where's the harm?

Harm? Who said anything about harm? How we vote is simply none of your business and you have zero right to tell us how to vote.

If you're all that hot and bothered about our leaders, then become a US citizen, and vote. Yes, I'm afraid this will mean involving yourself legitimately in our political system.

quote:
Why shouldn't people in one country express views about another?

No one here's said Britons can't or shouldn't express opinions about our leaders and our country. When you're at home or down the pub or on these boards or even standing on a soapbox in the park, express your opinions all you like.

Where Americans draw the line is foreign nationals telling us "Vote how we want you to." The Guardian is not stumping for Pres. Bush, either, so this translates to, "Vote for Kerry."

quote:
If US voters take any notice its their own choice and their own fault.

So you must believe I, and 270+ million other Americans, also have the right to tell you how to vote.

I believe we've given, and will give, this idea all the consideration it deserves.

But, since you see no harm in it, let's see how you like it.

Hey, your place is a dump! Jeez, when's the last time you cleaned up or, God forbid, painted the walls? Ever heard of a vacuum cleaner? (I believe you call it a 'Hoover.')

You actually go out in public wearing those clothes? O God, you must give your pub mates quite the laugh.

Let's look at your job and school performance. O my! You suck! Tell me, do you do anything constructive during your time, or do you just download porn all day and jack off to it when no one's around?

You call these idiots "friends"?! Evidently your taste in clothing and home decor is exceeded in negative magnitude only by your desperate willingness to associate with social bottom feeders and plague victims.

quote:

Yes, and you'll notice it was politicians commenting about Northern Ireland, and since when has a national border stopped any politician, anywhwere, from pontificating about another country's problems?

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

more about graves
goes with my previous post.

--------------------

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

quote:
Where Americans draw the line is foreign nationals telling us "Vote how we want you to." The Guardian is not stumping for Pres. Bush, either, so this translates to, "Vote for Kerry."

Actually, the Guardian hasn't revealed much bias yet. And in the article in question, they provide information for both sides of the debate, and make it clear that you would only receive an independent Clark County voter's address.

quote:
quote:

So you must believe I, and 270+ million other Americans, also have the right to tell you how to vote.
Go for it! Oh you did. Is that the best you can come up with? We're far worse than that.

quote:
quote:

Yes, and you'll notice it was politicians commenting about Northern Ireland, and since when has a national border stopped any politician, anywhwere, from pontificating about another country's problems?
Are you telling me I'm not a politician? I hold political sway, therefore I am a politician. Just because they hold office or are running for office doesn't make them any more a politician. It just means they're higher up the decision making ladder and ultimately wrest more power.

Sorry, was that a bit too ideologically democratic for you guys? I'll try and tone it down.

--------------------

Gambit

London Shipmeet King
# 766

- Posted      Profile for Gambit   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And how the...Walish...loved it! I wish I had a little treat for each of them! They can sit and roll over too!

Damn those Walish! [Mad]

I knew they'd get us in the end!

--------------------
There is a little bit of my mitral regurgitation that is forever yours.

Wiblog: Now being updated less than regularly (again).

Posts: 1105 | From: the best bar in Heaven | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Undiscovered Country
Shipmate
# 4811

quote:

quote:

I believe we've given, and will give, this idea all the consideration it deserves.

But, since you see no harm in it, let's see how you like it.

Hey, your place is a dump! Jeez, when's the last time you cleaned up or, God forbid, painted the walls? Ever heard of a vacuum cleaner? (I believe you call it a 'Hoover.')

You actually go out in public wearing those clothes? O God, you must give your pub mates quite the laugh.

Let's look at your job and school performance. O my! You suck! Tell me, do you do anything constructive during your time, or do you just download porn all day and jack off to it when no one's around?

You call these idiots "friends"?! Evidently your taste in clothing and home decor is exceeded in negative magnitude only by your desperate willingness to associate with social bottom feeders and plague victims.

So the British talk about politics in relation to other countires. When it coems to US citizens talking about other countires, their political knowledge extends only to abuse.

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Oh yes, that's right! How could I forget that massive letter-writing campaign sponsored by the Boston Globe?

I think he is alluding to the clinton involvement in Northern Ireland and the indirect sponsoring of terrorist organisations by Noraid which indeed was supported by some US politicians.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

OK, for those who think the Guardian campaign is a good idea, let's review:

You have strong evidence that Americans are unlikely to respond positively to exhortations to vote one way or another received in the mail from foreigners who were given the postal address by a random process in a computer.

You have heard that some Americans who might be undecided could be pushed to vote against whoever you are advocating, just because they are annoyed by your letter.

But you still want to write letters.

So this has nothing to do with your hoping to affect the election, it's just about you getting off on your own fantasy.

You are a bunch of pathetic wankers.

You have every right to be as stupid as you want, just as we have every right to tell you to fuck off and die.

Fuck off and die.

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

KenWritez brings up a good point that reminded me why I should tell you Brits how to vote (for one I have a good British surname, for two I lived there before back in 1989).

When I was there, I experienced being snubbed in a pub by some old fart Irish guy since when he heard my surname, he asked if I was born Protestant or Catholic. I answered and he got up and left the table.

I also used to walk by this embassy (forgot which country) off of Brompton Road on my way home to my flat in London. Read about a bomb being found under the car I used to walk by one day, very much scared me.

Put that together and I am glad Blair is Bush's bud in the war against terror. I luv me some Blair. BLAIR ROX.

That...and I rule all with my cohorts.

Thank you.

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

quote:
So the British talk about politics in relation to other countires. When it coems to US citizens talking about other countires, their political knowledge extends only to abuse.

In rebuttal, I refer you to Barabas' and ASkull's most excellent posts. Substitute "Blair" for "Bush" and "British" for "American" in their posts and you'll see what I'm talking about.

--------------------

Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

quote:
Originally posted by NÕghtlamp:
quote:
quote:

I think he is alluding to the clinton involvement in Northern Ireland and the indirect sponsoring of terrorist organisations by Noraid which indeed was supported by some US politicians.
Oh good, the "bolster my argument with totally irrelevant facts" model helpfully supplied by Barabas is now gaining wider currency on the Ship. Just what we need.

Clinton's intervention in Northern Ireland: undisputed. Noraid funds and boatloads of weaponry sent off to support terrorists: sad, but true. Tell me again what this has to do with a newspaper encouraging individuals to send mail with voting instructions to Ohio?

Gambit, Re: Walish--Do you think Americans should know or care how to spell 'Welsh?" Fair enough. Perhaps Guardian readers and their ilk should learn something about the US before coming up stupid ideas like this campaign.

You remind me of those morons who take huge puppets to political rallies--clueless morons telling themselves that they are taking action when they are just jerking themselves off and discrediting their cause in the process.

[ 14. October 2004, 17:11: Message edited by: Jerry Boam ]

--------------------

Gambit

London Shipmeet King
# 766

- Posted      Profile for Gambit   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
Put that together and I am glad Blair is Bush's bud in the war against terror. I luv me some Blair. BLAIR ROX.

So when are the Blair and Bush coalition going to bomb the Americans who gave a small fortune to the IRA (which was then funnelled to General Quadaffi in exchange for arms) back to the Stone age, just like the rest of the 'states' (pun definately intended) that support terrorism?

--------------------

Posts: 1105 | From: the best bar in Heaven | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:

So when are the Blair and Bush coalition going to bomb the Americans who gave a small fortune to the IRA (which was then funnelled to General Quadaffi in exchange for arms) back to the Stone age, just like the rest of the 'states' (pun definately intended) that support terrorism?
You really do need to do your homework. The Americans who funded and fund terrorism in Northern Ireland are Irish Americans with strong centers in Boston, New York and the Northeast in general. They are historically Democrats, so it's just a matter of time before Bush (should we have the misfortune of seeing him win again) declares them non-citizens and enemy combatants. If it's useful at that juncture to prosecute Irish Americans under the Patriot Act for their support of terrorism, rest assured, Homeland Security will be on top of that situation. Blair will do as he's told, as usual. But it's highly unlikely that Blair's role will involve bombing Boston.

The European stereotype of Americans is one of parochial ignorance. I used to think it was earned, but posts like these make me wonder if it isn't all projection.

--------------------

Neep
Ship's Meerkat
# 5213

- Posted      Profile for Neep   Email Neep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
Look, your country elects Bush's lapdog, so clearly you're not effective enough to influence the elections you CAN vote in.

This is probably part of the Guardian's motivation. I think that the letter campaign is ludicrous, and well below them. But...

Americans, try and see it from our point of view. Our Prime Minister is reduced to kowtowing to a monkey outwitted by about 55% of his own country. We've been dragged into what is widely regarded as an immoral war as a consequence. That's not all, but you get the idea.

It's bloody embarrassing for us Brits.

--------------------
"Your standing days are done," I cried, "You'll rally me no more!
I don't even know which side we fought on, or what for."

Posts: 293 | From: A burrow, in England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gambit

London Shipmeet King
# 766

quote:

A succinct and well-argued correction of my last post.

Thank you for correcting me, and if my post caused offence, accept my apologies.

(A much chastened)
Gambit

[ 14. October 2004, 17:37: Message edited by: Gambit ]

--------------------

Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
quote:

A succinct and well-argued correction of my last post.

Thank you for correcting me, and if my post caused offence, accept my apologies.

(A much chastened)
Gambit

No offense taken, Gambit! If there was any overtone of umbrage in my reply, it was probably residual warm feeling for Barabas.

Duchess, on the other hand may require that you kneel and kiss her ring.

--------------------

Gambit

London Shipmeet King
# 766

*shudder*

I'm sure she's a lovely Lady really.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Duchess, you think American troops in Iraq are going to raise those people from the dead? Next you'll explain the campaign of fucking for virginity. And what the holy cellulite-jiggling OZ-humping bible-thumping Hell does any of this have to do with this thread? Go masturbate and come back after you can think straight again.

Oppy, surely you realize that I'm not an American voter?

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's it.

I'm going to become a Brit and vote for Thatcher in the next election.

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Originally posted by Ship's Meerkat:
Americans, try and see it from our point of view. Our Prime Minister is reduced to kowtowing to a monkey outwitted by about 55% of his own country. We've been dragged into what is widely regarded as an immoral war as a consequence. That's not all, but you get the idea.

It's bloody embarrassing for us Brits.

So? How in the name of holy fuck is that our fault?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016