homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: What if I'm right? (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: What if I'm right?
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am beginning to get heartily sick of the polemical use of 'liberal' for people whose faith doesn't conform to the precise articulation of the OP. It's disingenuous, and it's insulting both to liberals and to a large number of people who don't count themselves, and on technical grounds aren't, liberals.

Please stop it.

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know why Sharkshooter attempted to rule out Amazon tribes, but that's the real issue I have with the exclusivist view, that most of humanity will have no (and I mean NO, not just a very slim) chance of avoiding eternal torment.

I'm throwing my not considerable (sic) weight behind the "those who confessed the faith, and those whose faith is known only to you" line of a prayer I've heard once or twice (that's for luv'n'daisies).

For me, the only belief compatible with God who is at the least just, is that anyone in Hell will deserve (or want) to be there more than the least in the Kingdom of Heaven, not because they fell into the 99% of people who never hear the name of Jesus in this life through geographical or chronological accident. I hope Hell will be empty but I'm far from convinced it will be.

So am I a liberal, because I disagree with Sharkshooter's Creed? (And that's plainly what it is - the line has been drawn in the sand now.) I'd say not. I'm agnostic but hopeful on the fate of non-Christians. I just fall on the same side of the fundamentalist/non-fundamentalist divide as the liberals, and I'm happy if they'll find me a seat.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GreyFace
quote:
So am I a liberal, because I disagree with Sharkshooter's Creed?
No, you're a case in point. I've heard it suggested that universalism is one of the diagnostics of liberalism; it's a test you fail and so do I. (I'm agnostic on this point.) I think it's unfair on both of us that we're labelled 'liberals' - and I think it's unfair on the real liberals that we're all lumped together under a term they apply to themselves in a principled way, and which is rapidly becoming an insult.

You don't have to be a liberal to hold that there isn't one coherent Biblical notion of hell. You just have to read Scripture with a view to hearing what - and all of what - it says. One of my principal objections to the OP creed is that it's pretty thoroughly unscriptural.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You condemn yourself Sharkshooter. Despite the Bible not supporting your OP, you believe it. Despite the Bible more than allowing for post-mortem evangelism with silence you choose to ignore God's grace and mercy on top of His perfect judgment.

You and Matt have no answer for how it can be better for Sodom in the day of Judgment than for Bethsaida and Chorazin.

Why not?

The God of the OP is a LIE. You are under STRONG delusion therefore if you believe it. The source of that delusion is Satanic. Satan.

If you believe that people like you are saved on reciting a formula when the Jews who died in the Holocaust went straight to eternal torment, I pity you.

You also believe, from previous posts, that children who die before some morally culpable threshhold go straight to heaven.

Why? How? Why do they get a free ride? What do they turn in to in

So who's in, who's out? Those who've said 'abracadabra' and underage kids. Any one else? Down's victims? Thos in comas since before the age of eternal accounatbility?

The God of the OP is not the God of the Bible, with or without science or philosophy.

If any one chooses to believe the OP it is for deep seated, feckless, helpless reasons of conditioning, of inculturation and perversity in the so called Christian tradition they have been exposed to.

It's NOTHING to do with the Bible, it's what you bring to it.

And I'm as fundamentalist as you.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is a key disagreement on this one Karl. Tell me if I've got your position wrong, but you seem to think that people don't deserve Hell, and I think that we don't deserve anything else.

No, believing the OP position doesn't make me depressed (well, agnostic on the belly button and disagree with animal sacrifices saving people, but generally in agreement).

It made me panic when I realised I wasn't a Christian though!

In terms of how I will cope in heaven with the knowledge that people I know and love and who were morally better than me are in hell, that is a tricky one.

I guess some of the answer is that I don't see how wicked other people actually are. I increasingly see how bad I am, so I guess that helps. There also the whole "Given that this person rejected Jesus' death for them, what is it best should happen to them?"
That and trusting that God knows what he is doing.

Yes, there is a part of me that rebels against and is appalled at the idea that I deserve Hell. But I am thoroughly convinced that I do.

By the way, I don't think I've seen anyone interacting with the idea that Hell is somewhere where, without the Holy Spirit, people are unable to repent and so keep on sinning and going against God, even when they know the truth.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I don't think people deserve Hell, not as it's commonly understood. How can anyone have done something so terrible as to deserve eternal conscious torment? That's exactly what I mean by injustice.

The fundamental problem as I see it is that most people are too good for Hell and too bad for Heaven.

Where does Lazarus fit into this, incidently? In Jesus' parable, he seems to get in simply on having had a shit life, and being more sinned against than sinning.

Remember Draco? He gave us the word "Draconian". He prescribed the death penalty for all crimes. This was abandoned because, amongst other things, it was unjust. Your image of God who punishes the slightest infraction with eternal torment takes that injustice yet further.

You ask "Given that this person rejected Jesus' death for them, what is it best should happen to them?"

I answer "I do not know, but I am sure that eternal torment isn't it."

Moreover, I ask whether many people do actually reject Jesus' death - certainly, I know many who desperately want to believe in it, but find they can't do so. Is that rejection? Again, a God who judges that it is has a skewed view on reality.

I've decided I'm too much of a moral coward to stand up to the God of the OP. I won't achieve anything by frying. Convince me he's the real one and I'll lick his boots. If that's what he wants.

[ 21. June 2004, 17:44: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl [Overused]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sharkshooter (and others): What if God is evil? What would you do then?

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are we to conclude from your proposed "evil God"? That this is all a game? That He intends to do the exact opposite of what He has promised? That He doesn't know the meaning of mercy and grace?

If God were evil, I would not change how I live. But I would hope that, in the end, there is only death.

Now, if I can answer yours to the point and in the manner you intended, why have some found it so difficult to just answer the original question?

[ 21. June 2004, 22:23: Message edited by: Grits ]

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
What are we to conclude from your proposed "evil God"? That this is all a game? That He intends to do the exact opposite of what He has promised? That He doesn't know the meaning of mercy and grace?

If God were evil, I would not change how I live. But I would hope that, in the end, there is only death.

Now, if I can answer yours to the point and in the manner you intended, why have some found it so difficult to just answer the original question?

We haven't found it dificult- we've just come to the conclusion that the God of the OP is evil (by their fruits shall you know them) and are working out where to go from there. There are three basic options: ignore God and hope for eternal oblivion, worship him out of fear or for a reward and try to oppose him- they've all been suggested.

You've just refused to accept this as answering the question.

[ 21. June 2004, 23:18: Message edited by: Justinian ]

--------------------

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Drawing a conclusion" is not the same as "answering the question". I have drawn the conclusion that the idea of God that you support is not an "option" for me, yet I have been willing to discuss the possibility of it and the insuing ramifications it would have. You have not returned the courtesy. I have also proceeded to answer your latest obscurity about an evil God. I didn't make fun of it, nor pronounce it absurd -- I told exactly what I would do and how I would feel.

That is answering a question.

[ 22. June 2004, 00:01: Message edited by: Grits ]

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
"Drawing a conclusion" is not the same as "answering the question". I have drawn the conclusion that the idea of God that you support is not an "option" for me, yet I have been willing to discuss the possibility of it and the insuing ramifications it would have. You have not returned the courtesy. I have also proceeded to answer your latest obscurity about an evil God. I didn't make fun of it, nor pronounce it absurd -- I told exactly what I would do and how I would feel.

Right.

To repeat myself (and many others on this thread), were I to believe in the God of the OP, I would belive in what I perceive to be an evil God (hence my question). I have commented on it accordingly and have responded with what I would do and what I would feel. I.e. be appalled and either kowtow and hope I could placate him or oppose him, knowing I would fail but that the struggle would be worth fighting.

How is this not answering the challenge of the OP? How is it not discussing the ensuing ramifications it would have?

I will accept it is not answering the challenge in the way you want it answered but that is a completely different issue.

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

Maybe that's because I never really considered it a challenge, just a topic for discussion.

And thank you for answering the question. [Smile]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Uh... [Confused]

Grits, I and many other people have said *repeatedly* what we would do and how we would feel. I don't think we were joking around--I certainly wasn't.

I HAVE believed in the faith of the OP. And finally ran away screaming.

If I were to become convinced again that the OP is The Truth, then my options would be exactly what I stated on the first page of the thread.

Believing that something is true *does not* necessarily mean believing that it is good.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

But do you see the difference? In these answers and those? This time, you are answering without all the condemning and naysaying you offered with your first answers. You are just stating your beliefs, how they would or would not change with the OP, with just a tiny stab at how hideous you think the idea to be. I really think that's all that was ever expected. I think it's good to look at your views from different perspectives now and then, and learn to discuss the same with integrity and respect. Telling someone that their God is evil, fueled by hate, and that you would rather spend eternity in torment with Satan than be in heaven with Him is just not very gracious way of selling your opinion.

That, of course, is just my opinion. [Smile]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We weren't asked to sell our opinions, just to say what we would do if the OP were somehow proven to be correct. I said what I'd do. I stand by what I said.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

Before anyone else protests of how open for discussion they were, here's a few gentle reminders of your first responses:
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
No, just that if he exists, he's a nasty bully. Fortunately I think that such a God is a serious misunderstanding (and I've met one Satanist who believes in the God of the OP and thinks that his only possible moral response is satanism).

OP equated with Satanism.
quote:
Originally posted by GoldenKey:
It makes God into a blood-thirsty monster. I can think of many deities I'd rather worship.

OP negates deity of God.
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
I think I'd blaspheme God and kill myself.

OP creates suicidal tendencies.

And, of course, these weren't the worst of the lot.

So forgive me for inferring that there wasn't going to be a great deal of objectivity on your parts.

(I don't mean this snidely. I'm just trying to show what I saw.)

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Telling someone that their God is evil, fueled by hate, and that you would rather spend eternity in torment with Satan than be in heaven with Him is just not very gracious way of selling your opinion.

Well, let's say this is what I really think. What would be a gracious way of saying it?!

Many people who have contributed to this thread used to believe what sharkshooter believes and had miserable experiences as a result. My own experience with the sharkshooter doctrine made me depressed and obnoxious (yes, more obnoxious than I am now!). There's just not a nice or gracious way to talk about how awful that was, how damaging, how painful, how destructive. Living inside that belief system almost tore me to bits. Dismantling it and finding out what was left of me inside made me suicidally depressed. It took me almost ten years to acknowledge that I was still, after all, a spiritual being with spiritual needs that needed to be addressed. You're unhappy that someone said the OP created suicidal tendencies, but the reality is that in some people that is exactly what happens.

So it's just too bad if that's not nice, not gracious, not selling my opinion. It's my lived experience.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
So it's just too bad if that's not nice, not gracious, not selling my opinion. It's my lived experience.

You know I know this, Ruth. I guess it's just still so astounding to me how something can be so right for one person, yet so wrong for another. And does that make it right? Or does it make it wrong? Can we make God fit our own experiences?

I don't know.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grits--

From the OP:

quote:
Have you seriously considered it? What would you do/change if you were suddenly, somehow, convinced of it? How would it affect you?

We answered that, very seriously. We said how it would affect us--perhaps more graphically than you wanted, but we said it. We weren't asked to pretend that we thought those beliefs were good.

Grits, it seems like you object to our answers because they don't agree with your beliefs.

But it's quite possible to believe that something is true AND believe that it's bad and you must fight against it.

You find your beliefs to be wonderful. I'm glad you have something that works for you. I know you're passionate about your beliefs.

But those same beliefs have been damaging for many of us. And we are passionately of the opinion that if those beliefs are *true*, then we can have nothing to do with them.

Do you see the difference?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So forgive me for inferring that there wasn't going to be a great deal of objectivity on your parts.

We weren't asked for objectivity; we were asked for our very personal opinions about what WE would do if it were true. The very essence of the question the OP asks us to answer is personal and subjective. Not sure how you got that it had anything whatever to do with objectivity.

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

quote:
Grits, it seems like you object to our answers because they don't agree with your beliefs.
Ya'll are still not getting my underlying point: It's not about agreeing with, it's about allowing. While my beliefs allow for your God, yours do not allow for mine. For me, that has been one of the biggest sources of contention in this thread.

I guess that is the objectivity I was talking about. I didn't sense any room for allowance.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm not sure what you mean by saying that your beliefs "allow" for our God. If your beliefs are true, then our God doesn't exist, and vice versa. Not sure what "allow" has to do with it.

I can allow you to believe that, and feel happy for you that it brings you comfort and solace. I can't imagine it bringing me comfort and solace, and I'm not sure why you seem to be insisting that it do so.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ya'll are still not getting my underlying point: It's not about agreeing with, it's about allowing. While my beliefs allow for your God, yours do not allow for mine. For me, that has been one of the biggest sources of contention in this thread.

I don't think it's about allowance. My experience doesn't negate yours. And neither of our experiences create God, obviously.

What it's about is whether a system of belief helps one to draw closer to God. Your system of belief does that for you, but not for me. My current system of belief was able to teach me to pray, something I just never could learn from yours. And so I have drawn closer to God.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

OK. I think I get that, Ruth. It's all about getting to God. I can live with that.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Grits:
quote:
Ya'll are still not getting my underlying point: It's not about agreeing with, it's about allowing. While my beliefs allow for your God, yours do not allow for mine.
This seems to have caused lots of mystification - it had me completely flummoxed for a good while. Then I spooled back up the thread and read this:

quote:
But do you see the difference? In these answers and those? This time, you are answering without all the condemning and naysaying you offered with your first answers. You are just stating your beliefs, how they would or would not change with the OP, with just a tiny stab at how hideous you think the idea to be. I really think that's all that was ever expected.
quote:
Telling someone that their God is evil, fueled by hate, and that you would rather spend eternity in torment with Satan than be in heaven with Him is just not very gracious way of selling your opinion.

Now, tell me if I'm wrong, but what you seem to be objecting to is that people posting on the other side of the argument are professing to be repulsed, morally and spiritually, by the God you profess to believe in. Whereas you seem to say that you aren't repulsed by the God(s! - not polytheism, just a variety of God-concepts) they profess to believe in. And you feel that this is a fundamental imbalance in the argument. I'm not sure that I understand why, but I think I see what you mean.

Some thoughts. Firstly, this is a very liberal - in the non-theological sense - website; but who am I telling? You know this, your habitual posting style is tolerant and gracious, and it's only natural that you are shocked to find that in this argument your views are being treated in what must seem to you to be such an unbalanced and - let me use the word - prejudiced way. I suspect that this is why so many on the OP side of the thread accuse the opposition of "judging God by pre-existing standards and conceptions" (if I can so sum it up.)

Actually, I don't think they are. I think that's an 'optical illusion' generated by a number of things.

To start with, the Bible doesn't just form our understanding of God by telling us things about him in true propositions. It forms our understanding of God by offering us gems of highly memorable poetry and prose (ICor. 13, Ps. 23, the Beatitudes) which stay in the memory life long. And it - and very specifically Jesus - also offers us pictures, formed in our heads by words; the Good Samaritan, the Good Shepherd, the Prodigal Son et Pere, powerful images. All of these things stand out from their surroundings. They are, in the literal sense, more salient. It doesn't seem to me to be unBiblical to say that there is much more about our relationship to God in the Parable of the Good Shepherd than in the genealogy of Matthew 1. The understanding we have of God, for those on this side of the OP, isn't contained in the Bible. It's formed in us by the Bible. Yes, it's selective. But it's the Bible that does the selecting. We wrestle with the Bible - and the whole Bible just as much as you - but we don't come away with the understanding of God that you do.

And it's a very important criticism, from this side of the argument, that the God of the OP is just as much a selection or highlighting as is ours. You present the OP as the only way of reading the Bible, and implicitly (and some people much more explicitly and maybe a good deal less graciously) you suggest very strongly that your conception of God is 'objective' - just what the Bible says, nothing added, nothing ducked – whereas ours is defective, leaving some things out, emphasizing others. Well, I suspect we cop to that – but our point is that that’s exactly how you read the Bible too, that there’s nothing intrinsically wrong with that, and that the only problem is when you deny that this is what you’re doing. Which is, by the way, exactly how the doctrine of Biblical Inerrancy operates – to assert that the Bible says all one thing, and to deny that you’re in any sense other than the trivial interpreting it. But from our point of view, that’s just an assertion, and a meaningless one at that.

Anyway, back to where this little excursion into Terre des Chevaux Morts [Big Grin]

The point I’ve been aiming at is that of course we have pre-formed ideas of God. Many of us are Christians, all of us have had a lifetime’s immersion in a culture which is still saturated in Christian influences.

And it’s precisely these Christian understandings of God that generate the violent reaction against the God of the OP.

In other words, and to restate, the Bible doesn’t just teach us directly, in propositions. Its influence is mediated by our whole culture. Yes, the images of the condemning God of Hell and Damnation are out there – and they are at war with the images of the God of Love, and I don’t just mean Jesus Teaching Children In The Galilean Meadows. I mean Grunewald’s Isenheim Altarpiece, which hung in reproduction in Karl Barth’s study. All of these gigantic images and perspectives and truths about God demand interpretation, and without decisions about how they fit together, how we are to understand them, how we make sense of them – which is the proper work of the great Christian traditions, but also of every Christian believer – they are just a chaos, a pastiche. And our accusation against your side of the thread is that that is how you leave them. A chaos. Out of which this God of rage and spite and malice, and bullying power emerges, inevitbly, out of a refusal to do theology – which is itself generated by what seems to us to be , not reverent fear, but simple timidity. Should we be doing theology at all?? Should we not rather just lick God’s boots (a metaphor which has cropped up several times on this thread.)

Now all of this may seem terribly harsh, and no doubt some of it is, in the way it’s been expressed. But we on this side of the argument are worried, and appalled, at the consequences of your chosen reading – and again I say, it is a chosen reading - of the Bible and the Christian faith. Although you feel – and I am certain, absolutely genuinely – that this is the God, and the truth about God, that you are stuck with from what you believe is a straight reading of Scripture.

And the real trouble, the real cause of such harsh division, on this thread, it seems to me, is this.

You guys seem to feel that our moral outrage at the portrayal of God that you are so ‘stuck with’ is our prejudice, grounded in our human, ‘liberal’, moral standards.

We say – well, many of us - that our sense of moral outrage takes its rise in the revelation of God in Jesus Christ, to which the New Testament is the Apostolic Witness, and which isn’t just explained by, but itself decisively re-interprets the Old Testament.

Maybe this explains the point that you find so mystifying:

quote:
But do you see the difference? In these answers and those? This time, you are answering without all the condemning and naysaying you offered with your first answers. You are just stating your beliefs, how they would or would not change with the OP, with just a tiny stab at how hideous you think the idea to be. I really think that's all that was ever expected.
By the OP, maybe. But poor old Sharkshooter has learned the hard way that just because you wrote the OP doesn’t mean you can control its interpretation. A metaphor, that, for the ways in which all texts – including the Bible – work. And the key to the real untenability of an inerrantist position, because such a position involves you guys in breaking off debating with us periodically, and saying to the Bible “Shut up! We’ll tell you what you mean!!” And the problem you have is that the Bible won’t shut up, and stop undermining your own positions! The Bible is only the Word when the Living Word speaks through it, and the idea that you can sum up what He says in a paragraph in an OP is… well, for the sake of Christian charity let’s not go there.

But the problem is that so much of the perceived hideousness of the OP is itself both Christian and Biblical. What is repulsive is not God’s wrath against sin (who could argue with that, after seeing yet more pictures of Third World starvation) or even eternal separation from God, but the sheer arbutraryness and injustice and amorality of this God.

In other words, the outrage is moral information. It’s part of the argument. And I would have thought that it would have to mean something to the OPers that their being greeted by such a visceral response to what they say is what they believe would have constituted important information for them too.

I can understand your astonishment and hurt. But can’t you maybe look at where it’s coming from, and why?

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Speaking of which, exactly what does: "Until you are willing to accept that God will hold all men accountable and separate sin from Himself, I don't believe that you can truly accept the work of Christ on the Cross. " mean? If it means what I think it means, we can discuss it in the Hot Place.

If you are taking this personally, that is not how I meant it; it was a general comment with regard to PSA, which I regard as the primary work of Jesus on the Cross. In order to appreciate PSA fully, I believe it is necessary to have an understanding of the terribleness of sin, that it is not some 'minor transgression' as you put it but something that separates us from God for all eternity. J I Packer is particularly good reading on the subject.

Yours in Christ

Matt

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Psyduck, you've been gathering a lot of [Overused] s lately, and your last post gets you another from me.

I was struck also by an image you mentioned in passing, but that I think will stick with me all day -
quote:
Jesus Teaching Children In The Galilean Meadows
It's a lovely image, isn't it? - often sentimentalised in bad stained glass or in children's Bibles with a very Anglo-Saxon looking Jesus. But we know, don't we, that Jesus "took children in his arms and blessed them"?

It strikes me that if the OP is true, then in his mind he was thinking all the time, "... and if this child does not confess me as Lord, I will throw it into fire where it will burn forever."

As I said - lovely image, isn't it?...

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Psyduck - thanks, I think I'm starting to understand where you are coming from.

I think we agree that God is God as presented in the Bible as a whole. The question is, what do you do with the bits which fit in much better with the OP than with your view? How do you interpret Romans 9, etc?

Incidentally, I agree that we are forced into a position where there are strong tensions you don't even have to consider except when debating with us. But I think we'd place a far higher value on the contribution of any part of the Bible to the Bible's message than we would on our sense of outrage at what it says.

It is a strong consolation that the gospel is meant to be outrageous, and it is meant to be offensive to our pride. The Word and the word about the Word are a stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall. So if people are outraged and offended, then that does not surprise us in the least.

--------------------
blog

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
It strikes me that if the OP is true, then in his mind he was thinking all the time, "... and if this child does not confess me as Lord, I will throw it into fire where it will burn forever."

As I said - lovely image, isn't it?...

I think of God's judgement a lot more like the end of Matthew 23, where there is a striking mix of anger and grief.

--------------------
blog

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Such a comfort. God regrets the necessity of double roasting the Jews. It makes Him saaaaaaad, just like my daughter when two. Ahhhhh.

--------------------
Love wins

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Custard123:
quote:
I think of God's judgement a lot more like the end of Matthew 23
You may think that, but the OP doesn't -
quote:
There is a real Hell. Satan lives there - it is not a nice place. Anyone who does not acknowledge that Jesus is Lord here on earth will endure eternity separated from God.

(My emphasis.)

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

For pysduck:
quote:
Now, tell me if I'm wrong, but what you seem to be objecting to is that people posting on the other side of the argument are professing to be repulsed, morally and spiritually, by the God you profess to believe in. Whereas you seem to say that you aren't repulsed by the God(s! - not polytheism, just a variety of God-concepts) they profess to believe in. And you feel that this is a fundamental imbalance in the argument. I'm not sure that I understand why, but I think I see what you mean.
Yes, that is what I mean. Why? Because in order to complete your concept, God can only be one way, the way you perceive Him to be. I just think our concept – of sovereignty, omniscience, beyond human wisdom – allows God a little more flexibility. However, I don’t believe He will flex beyond what He has revealed to us through His word.
quote:
you are shocked to find that in this argument your views are being treated in what must seem to you to be such an unbalanced and - let me use the word - prejudiced way.
Honey, I got over being shocked about this a long time ago!
quote:
It doesn't seem to me to be unBiblical to say that there is much more about our relationship to God in the Parable of the Good Shepherd than in the genealogy of Matthew 1. The understanding we have of God, for those on this side of the OP, isn't contained in the Bible. It's formed in us by the Bible. Yes, it's selective. But it's the Bible that does the selecting. We wrestle with the Bible - and the whole Bible just as much as you - but we don't come away with the understanding of God that you do.
I would certainly agree with this. But the parable of the Good Shepherd is also the parable of the lost sheep. He is not willing that any of His little ones “perish”. From what was He trying to save them? Physical death? He cannot save us from that. Jesus came to save us from spiritual death. The God of love is evidenced, not just in the seeking, but in the saving, as well.
quote:
And our accusation against your side of the thread is that that is how you leave them. A chaos. Out of which this God of rage and spite and malice, and bullying power emerges, inevitbly, out of a refusal to do theology –– which is itself generated by what seems to us to be , not reverent fear, but simple timidity. Should we be doing theology at all?? Should we not rather just lick God’’s boots (a metaphor which has cropped up several times on this thread.)
This does not strike me as harsh, but I do think you have finally orated my feelings about this. Some folks just love to “do” theology. It has to be constantly static, which, to me, creates a much more chaotic effect than my acceptance of things. It is the inability to truly humble ourselves – intellect and reason included – and allow God to be God. I do believe the Word is living, but I also believe it has been revealed. My God does not rage nor spite nor malice. He watches and waits. He runs to meet those who seek Him. He basks in our praise and elicits our prayers. He wants us to recognize and appreciate the gift of His love – Jesus – and He keeps His promises. I feel no fear nor timidity in a continual study of His message and asking for the Spirit to guide me and continue to reveal to me the truths that are there. And I will bow and fall prostrate before Him. He is God.
quote:
And the key to the real untenability of an inerrantist position, because such a position involves you guys in breaking off debating with us periodically, and saying to the Bible “Shut up! We’’ll tell you what you mean!!” And the problem you have is that the Bible won’’t shut up, and stop undermining your own positions! The Bible is only the Word when the Living Word speaks through it, and the idea that you can sum up what He says in a paragraph in an OP is…… well, for the sake of Christian charity let’s not go there.
This struck me as a little humorous, as it sounds like something I would say about you! It will always seem that you are ignoring the obvious teachings in the Bible of a literal and eternal hell, spoken of and warned about by Christ Himself, and deciding that isn’t really at all what is meant. It's just hard to see it any other way.

No one said the OP summed up anything. It was a hypothesis, one I perceived as almost rhetorical.

quote:
the sheer arbutraryness and injustice and amorality of this God.
Once again, this comes across as being based on human-bound definitions of those characteristics – not giving credence to a God who transcends them.
quote:
In other words, the outrage is moral information. It’’s part of the argument. And I would have thought that it would have to mean something to the OPers that their being greeted by such a visceral response to what they say is what they believe would have constituted important information for them too.
It is important information. It helps me see how people take the personal, the human, this present life and the “moral information” we are fed from these sources, and try to apply it to something that is beyond the barriers and understanding of said sources. And, simply speaking for myself, it's just something that I cannot do.
quote:
I can understand your astonishment and hurt. But can’t you maybe look at where it’s coming from, and why?
Of course! Which is why we keep coming back to this. I just think there would have been better ways of conveying your position than by trying to make the God of the OP an impossibility... or worse. I certainly understand your "whys"; it's the "hows" with which I have trouble! Love lets us understand why, and our human nature allows us to explore the how. To me, that is what this forum is all about.

It was a lovely post, pysduck. A little Christian charity goes a long way, n’est pas?

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
Posted by Custard123:
quote:
I think of God's judgement a lot more like the end of Matthew 23
You may think that, but the OP doesn't -
quote:
There is a real Hell. Satan lives there - it is not a nice place. Anyone who does not acknowledge that Jesus is Lord here on earth will endure eternity separated from God.

(My emphasis.)

So how is that different?

In Matthew 23, we see God grieved over the fact that Jerusalem rejected him and therefore that they would not be taken under his wing.

How is that different to the OP, except to add that God is grieves over those he judges?

--------------------
blog

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
For pysduck:
Yes, that is what I mean. Why? Because in order to complete your concept, God can only be one way, the way you perceive Him to be. I just think our concept – of sovereignty, omniscience, beyond human wisdom – allows God a little more flexibility. However, I don’t believe He will flex beyond what He has revealed to us through His word.

Grits, that's rubbish. The way I perceive God to be, the way GoldenKey perceives God to be and the way Mousethief perceives God to be are different, but probably compatable. Yours is incompatable with any of the above if it is as you describe. (I do not believe that it is)

Your concept of God (at least assuming it lines up with the OP) does indeed alow him flexibility in certain directions. It allows him enough flexibility to be the Father of Lies, as we have repeatedly demonstrated.

quote:
I would certainly agree with this. But the parable of the Good Shepherd is also the parable of the lost sheep. He is not willing that any of His little ones “perish”. From what was He trying to save them? Physical death? He cannot save us from that. Jesus came to save us from spiritual death. The God of love is evidenced, not just in the seeking, but in the saving, as well.
But we are damned by God. Jesus, by the OP, came because God made a mistake. Jesus also actually made it less likely that we would be saved as without his coming, we would not have to profess him if we had ever heard of him.

Such a passing out of false hope is not the action of a merciful, loving or kind God but rather one who likes to torture and torment.

quote:
This does not strike me as harsh, but I do think you have finally orated my feelings about this. Some folks just love to “do” theology. It has to be constantly static, which, to me, creates a much more chaotic effect than my acceptance of things.
Yes. Some do. Not all of us. And who is claiming it has to be continually static other than the inerrantists or others claiming a single perfect revalation?

quote:
It is the inability to truly humble ourselves – intellect and reason included – and allow God to be God.
What do you mean by 'allow God to be God'?

I don't honestly think anyone is stopping him or even can stop him.

As for intellect, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with ... all thy mind" does not, to me, imply that I shouldn't use my mind. Rather it implies I should use it. I (and others) do and come up with the conclusion that the God we know is incompatable with the God of the OP.

Humility is not saying "I am unworthy and pathetic and the fact I am a world champion at [foo] and [bar] is nothing"- that is simply a tremendous form of arrogance. Humility is judging yourself by precisely the standards you use for everyone else.

quote:
I do believe the Word is living, but I also believe it has been revealed.
Could you expand on this please? I can think of at least four things you could mean by this.

quote:
My God does not rage nor spite nor malice.
In which case you aren't an inerrantist. Or you would believe that God had hardened Pharaoh's heart so that he could launch the plague on the first born- an act of clear malice. I can easily find others if necessary.

Neither do you believe in Hell. An eternal hell serves no purpose other than spite or malice.

quote:
He watches and waits. He runs to meet those who seek Him. He basks in our praise and elicits our prayers. He wants us to recognize and appreciate the gift of His love – Jesus – and He keeps His promises. I feel no fear nor timidity in a continual study of His message and asking for the Spirit to guide me and continue to reveal to me the truths that are there. And I will bow and fall prostrate before Him. He is God.
I agree.

quote:
This struck me as a little humorous, as it sounds like something I would say about you! It will always seem that you are ignoring the obvious teachings in the Bible of a literal and eternal hell, spoken of and warned about by Christ Himself, and deciding that isn’t really at all what is meant. It's just hard to see it any other way.
We don't claim to be inerrantists. That is the difference. Both sides do the same thing here- but one of them openly admits it, the other denies it then does it.

quote:
Once again, this comes across as being based on human-bound definitions of those characteristics – not giving credence to a God who transcends them.
So words mean precisely what you say they do and no attribute has any meaning when applied to God.

Great.

quote:
It is important information. It helps me see how people take the personal, the human, this present life and the “moral information” we are fed from these sources, and try to apply it to something that is beyond the barriers and understanding of said sources. And, simply speaking for myself, it's just something that I cannot do.
So you can't tell God from Satan at all? Both are eternal beings and their full scope is beyond our comprehension (assuming Satan really exists).

[Fixed code.]

[ 22. June 2004, 23:08: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

--------------------

Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I can't work out is how Grits, Sharkshooter et al can ever reappraise their view of God. I've always known that I could make mistakes that is why I feel I must constantly reconsider what I believe. I can't see how those that say we shouldn't judge God by human standards can do anything other than believe in their God just because they've always believed in their God.

Grits etc.... if you came across another religion, another view of God how do you judge which is right. Your current view or the other beliefs system's view? Is it the God that is most seemingly arbitrary? The God whose morality seems most immoral to us?

Yours is hardly a picture of an omnipotent God. It is a picture of a God who is particularly incompetent. It is a God who expects his creation to chose him without giving them the necessary ability to do so in any meaningful way apart from total deference to one of many traditions. How on earth are we to know which of these traditions is righht. We have to judge God by human standards. After all we are human

Luigi

[ 22. June 2004, 21:27: Message edited by: Luigi ]

contouredburger
Apprentice
# 7409

- Posted      Profile for contouredburger   Email contouredburger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psyduck:
And our accusation against your side of the thread is that that is how you leave them. A chaos. Out of which this God of rage and spite and malice, and bullying power emerges, inevitbly, out of a refusal to do theology – which is itself generated by what seems to us to be , not reverent fear, but simple timidity. Should we be doing theology at all?? Should we not rather just lick God’s boots (a metaphor which has cropped up several times on this thread.)

I feel I must take issue with this portrayal of OP thinking, Psyduck. Are you suggesting that OPers are all fideists/theologically inept/propositionalists/fundamentalists/any other undesirable epithets?
I for one agree with the OPer position, and therefore I regard your argument here to be a caricature of my position. I agree that OP and non-OP positions are selective, either out of inconsistency or error or simple distaste. However, I have not seen any greater consistency in non-OP theology, with respect to biblical hermeneutics or theological considerations. Moreover, I find little evidence in this thread to suggest that even a majority of OPers could be accused of naively attempting to read off the "plain meaning" of Scripture, without engaging their brains, and engaging with the text. I have worked on, and struggled with, my OPer theology for a number of years - it is not some pastiche of randomly-culled biblical motifs. I do not suggest that non-OP thinking is either, as the articulate posts from your good self and others have ably demonstrated. If you deem OP thought to be inherently inconsistent with other biblical concepts or with human reason (and I don't mean that pejoratively), well and good, but this has yet to be demonstrated - it is not apodeictic. Believe it or not, it is possible to engage honestly and thoroughly with non-OPer positions and still come back to an OP position! [Biased]

--------------------
I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle

Posts: 46 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

I'm glad Grits thought my appallingly long post of this morning charitable and eirenic. That's how I'd meant it. I'm sorry, therefore, if Contouredburger felt in any way 'got at'.

G

I think, in order to engage with your position sensibly, Contouredburger, I need to know what it is. I'm not clear what the nature of your allegiance to the OP is. My understanding was that the OP was a contingent statement of belief drawn up by Sharkshooter to stimulate debate. It isn't a creed, it isn't an exhaustive statement, or even a summary, of the items of belief of a particular Christian tradition. I assume that Sharkshooter meant it as a sample statement of a highly conservative Biblicist Christianity, but even then, several items in it - notably the saving efficacy of the sacrificial system of the OT - are hardly mainstream, as several conservative objectors note. It doesn't cohere as a statement of faith, and has the character of a ragbag assemblage of propositions, none of them related to the text of Scripture other than as inference.

I simply can't understand on what grounds you say that you are an OPer. Did Sharkshooter happen to hit on six points that are among your own ariticles of belief? If so, where do you draw them from? Is yours a credal, or confessional, or in some sense synthetic faith? What other articles of belief do you subscribe to? Or if - as I strongly suspect - your theological sophistication means that your articulation of your faith consists of a great deal more than heads of belief, why are these heads of belief so important to you?

Here it is again, in case any of us have forgotten!
quote:
1) Adam and Eve were real live created (sans bely button) people who sinned and caused humanity to need salvation.

2) Old Testament people were saved by following the guidelines set out in scripture, specifically regular sacrifices for their sins.

3) Jesus, the perfect sacrifice, died to pay the price for sin and is the only way into Heaven.

4) Heaven is where we praise God for eternity.

5) There is a real Hell. Satan lives there - it is not a nice place.

6) Anyone who does not acknowledge that Jesus is Lord here on earth will endure eternity separated from God.

You ask me whether I consider all OPers to be
quote:
fideists/theologically inept/propositionalists/fundamentalists/
In order (almost!): Fideists - no, not necessarily, and mention of this points up the relative paucity of epistemological debate on this thread (which I think is understandable, by the way - it's just the way things have gone); : Theologically inept no, absolutely not but - and intending nothing pejorative by this - a conspicuous number of OPers have happily asserted their suspicion of anything approximating to a regular theological method; Grits, commenting on the same paragraph as contouredburger above, seems to agree with, and acquiesce in this:
quote:
This does not strike me as harsh, but I do think you have finally orated my feelings about this. Some folks just love to “do” theology. It has to be constantly static, which, to me, creates a much more chaotic effect than my acceptance of things. It is the inability to truly humble ourselves – intellect and reason included – and allow God to be God. I do believe the Word is living, but I also believe it has been revealed. My God does not rage nor spite nor malice. He watches and waits. He runs to meet those who seek Him. He basks in our praise and elicits our prayers. He wants us to recognize and appreciate the gift of His love – Jesus – and He keeps His promises. I feel no fear nor timidity in a continual study of His message and asking for the Spirit to guide me and continue to reveal to me the truths that are there. And I will bow and fall prostrate before Him. He is God.
fundamentalists: well, Grits says she is, and I suspect that several others would not disavow the appellation, but it's really beside the point, and far too polemical anyway to mean anything; propositionalists - well, basically yes, just about all the OPers other than you seem to me to be unashamed propositionalists.

My take on the OP, and my understanding of what most of the OPers seem to say about themselves suggests to me that with reservations about particular clauses, they are indeed propositionalists who understand the OP as a broad-brush summary of a literal, uninterpreted reading of the Bible.

You seem perfectly clear that this is not where you are coming from, and of course I accept this. But because of that, I'm not sure why you call yourself an OPer, or quite what you mean by it. What is so important about these six contingent, contentious (even to the conservative!) and very specific articles of faith, that is so very important in such a very particular way to you?

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Posted by Custard123:
quote:
In Matthew 23, we see God grieved over the fact that Jerusalem rejected him and therefore that they would not be taken under his wing.

How is that different to the OP, except to add that God is grieves over those he judges?

Very different indeed. The OP says that those who do not acknowledge Jesus as Lord in this life will spend eternity in Hell. Matthew 23 says Jesus is grieved over those who were not willing to be gathered under his wings.

Matt.23 is in fact a very beautiful image of a tender, mothering God who will comfort all who want to be comforted. None of the language of "lordship", or any suggestion that this choice to be gathered or not is restricted to this life.

I'm still haunted - and, frankly, disturbed and upset - by the image that came to me yesterday: Jesus blessing a child, smiling and with his hand resting gently on its head ... while all the time thinking how his glory and majesty will one day be displayed by his throwing this child into a lake of fire, if it does not confess him as Lord.

[Edited for typos. I like "preview post" really. Honestly I do.]

[ 23. June 2004, 08:07: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

--------------------

contouredburger
Apprentice
# 7409

- Posted      Profile for contouredburger   Email contouredburger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Psyduck,

Thank you for your, as ever, engaging and stimulating reply. Let me address the points I do not hold to, to save time.

I do not believe in Adam and Eve as literal beings: nonetheless, I feel the description of the Fall is an inspired theology to teach us the meaning of our sense of alienation from the world, and the reason for the divine wrath that faces us all.

I cannot say that Satan lives in Hell, because Hell appears to be the eschatological punishment for Satan. If we accept that Heaven and Hell are timeless, then we might say that Satan has already received this punishment.

Hell is the continuance and intensification of the separation and alienation from God that we all originally face, as envisaged by the fate of those who must remain outside the heavenly city in Revelations. On the question of eternal punishment for the unbeliever, I believe the Bible provides evidence not only for election, but for double predestination, although this is a theological construct. On the other hand, just as Calvin found this doctrine very difficult, so do I, and therefore whilst I hold to the belief in Hell I hope that St. Peter has a bigger guest list than I can find evidence to construct a more universalist theology on.

This is why the OP intrigues me - what if I'm right? If the OP is right in this respect, then we must evangelise, not for the sake of threatening people of course, but to relate to them the astonishing mercy of God in Christ. I would like to make this clear, because I had a friend who used to evangelise simply by asking "What if I'm right, and there is a hell?" This is a theological position of a God of wrath, and not a God who is love. If the OP is wrong, then I will be the happiest bunny in a very crowded heaven (provided they let me in!) On this issue, I don't want to take the risk of being right, given that I find biblical evidence, and theological cohesion, for the positions I have already addressed.

Now, as I can hear the sound of many SoF posters loading their shotguns, if you'll pass me the blindfold and my last cigarette, I shall find a nice sunny wall to lean on...briefly.

--------------------
I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle

Posts: 46 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
Very different indeed. The OP says that those who do not acknowledge Jesus as Lord in this life will spend eternity in Hell. Matthew 23 says Jesus is grieved over those who were not willing to be gathered under his wings.

But I'd then say that being willing to be taken under Jesus' wings is just another way of saying the same thing as acknowledging Jesus as Lord.

Probably via taking refuge in him involving recognising Jesus' authority (and hence that he is worth taking refuge in) and recognising Jesus' authority involving wanting to flee to him.

--------------------
blog

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

A firing squad with shotguns? Messy...

OK, contouredburger, a far-too-quick response:
1) I didn't mean to imply that OPers were in any way theologically inept. My point was that OPers seem to me - sometimes for sophisticated reasons - to embrace a deliberately crude theological armature because to their minds it lets the Bible be the Bible. In this sense I do believe that genuine OPers are necessarily propositionalists. You can only get to such a contingent assemblage of propositions from a contingent assemblage of propositions, viz. the Bible, humanly speaking. Now, of course, the 'other side' would deny that the Bible is a contingent assemblage of propositions; they'd ground it in the inscrutable will of God. But an assemblage of propositions is what it is, and the crucial thing is to take all these propositions completely seriously. Hence the official doctrine that the Bible is inerrant and completely consistent. The charge from this side is that a) the Bible isn't a compendium of infallible propositions, b) that it's no denigration of the Bible to say that there are inconsistencies, and that some bits are more important than others, and c) that inevitably propositionalists will highlight some and downplay or ignore other propositions as they articulate their faith. But d) what makes their position so dangerous is that, having forsworn virtually all theological method - on grounds of principle, not because they can't handle it - they have no way of controlling, assessing or integrating the propositons they do choose to make up into a statement of belief.

I don't actually see OPers other than yourself dissenting from this. Grits seems to me to embrace it.

But then, I'm really not clear after your newest post whether you're an OPer at all. Here are my responses to your statement of belief, in italics:

quote:
do not believe in Adam and Eve as literal beings: Check! nonetheless, I feel the description of the Fall is an inspired theology to teach us the meaning of our sense of alienation from the world, and the reason for the divine wrath that faces us all. Broadly, but unequivocally yes - though I suspect I'd probably feel freer in using non-theological perspectives, such as psychoanalysis and approaches like Girard's to eke out this understanding. And I'd also feel quite free to acknowledge, use and critique the typological relationships between, say, Genesis 3 and Paul. Not sure where you'd stand on this.

I cannot say that Satan lives in Hell, because Hell appears to be the eschatological punishment for Satan. If we accept that Heaven and Hell are timeless, then we might say that Satan has already received this punishment. I've explained elsewhere my preference for "the Satainic" over "Satan" - but my position is that there's truth articulated here which is profoundly human and theologiclly necessary.

Hell is the continuance and intensification of the separation and alienation from God that we all originally face, Yes. I have a partly empirical attitude to Original SIn. You look for it by watching the news and reading the paper, and by asking yourself "Why did I -a nd how could I do that?" But it is there as a sundering, alienating reality, of that I have no doubt., as envisaged by the fate of those who must remain outside the heavenly city in Revelations. Revelation - hmmm! Unignorable but fraught with danger! Handle with Extreme Care... On the question of eternal punishment for the unbeliever, I believe the Bible provides evidence not only for election, but for double predestination, although this is a theological construct. I believe that the predestination of the elect is to be found in Paul, but I can't see reprobation, not even in Romans 9, as other than the shadow-side (! Yes, I know where that comes from!) of the assurance that "You, hearing this, are safe!" On the other hand, just as Calvin found this doctrine very difficult, so do I, and therefore whilst I hold to the belief in Hell I hope that St. Peter has a bigger guest list than I can find evidence to construct a more universalist theology on. If Double Predestination is a theological construct, then so too is universalism - and of a closely related kind. I'm not a universalist, and as I've said elsewhere, my understanding here is pretty much what I undrestand Karl Barth's to be. Classical election - perhaps followed by space for the repudiation of salvation. But then there's Origen - God is love: God is omnipotent: All must ultimately be saved. I hope that's true. But I don't profess it, I just reiterate it with admiration.

So - in what sense are you an OPer that I'm not? This is what I just can't see.

Anyway - parish calls...

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

I said
quote:
I've explained elsewhere my preference for "the Satanic" over "Satan"
I realize this could seem very misleading!!! [Biased] [Two face]

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
Originally posted by Psyduck:
Theologically inept no, absolutely not but - and intending nothing pejorative by this - a conspicuous number of OPers have happily asserted their suspicion of anything approximating to a regular theological method;

I think that this comes across as probably pejorative on your part, despite your efforts.

I think the issue is simply what we understand by "theology".

I'd say theology is essentially the process of systematising and interlinking the Bible's teaching.

I am deeply suspicious of your "theological methods" because they seem not to do this, but instead to emphasise some parts of Scripture so much that you effectively ignore others. To describe your methods as "regular" and mine, therefore as "irregular" is not quite on when we both know that there are lots of theologians on both sides of this.

Psyduck - I repeat my question from earlier:

quote:
How do you understand Romans 9?

[ 23. June 2004, 08:57: Message edited by: Custard123 ]

--------------------
blog

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard123:
quote:

But I'd then say that being willing to be taken under Jesus' wings is just another way of saying the same thing as acknowledging Jesus as Lord.
Amazon tribes.

Jesus is grieved over those who were not willing. Can those who never had the chance, be not willing, or simply have never had the chance?

The OP is exclusive and condemns those who never hear the Gospel, and this is most of the human race to date. The Matthew passage leaves open the door to those who never hear the Gospel, or perhaps even those who never hear it properly. Whether they get through it is another matter.

Unless you want to condemn unbaptised babies (or those who never reach the age of decision for those of that persuasion) and all those who died B.C. on the grounds of original sin, you then have to have a set of criteria for judging people that doesn't involve open confession that someone they've never heard of is Lord - and I think it's fair to say that Matthew 25 provides a set although I'm aware of the standard evangelical take on it - and if any of them get through then the OP is shot down in flames.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Posted by Custard123:
quote:

And where in Matt.23 does it say this "taking refuge" can only happen in this life? And where does it say that mummy hen's little chicks who don't take refuge will burn forever?

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John also gives room for a wider application of this criterion for salvation (yugh - what a phrase!).

John talks about the Incarnation in terms of the light that illuminates all people coming into the world. Not just those that hear about the specific historical Incarnation. All people.

He then says that there are two responses to the Light - to turn away, because we don't like what it shows about ourselves, or to embrace it despite that. And he says that that decision is the judgement.

Now, certainly, for those of us who are Christians, our embracing of the light is coincident with our assent to the doctrines of Christianity and, far more importantly, our allegience to Christ. But that says nothing about others. People who find the historical Incarnation impossible to propositionally assent to - and I am firmly convinced that inability to believe it is not a matter of will, knowing people who agonise about their desire, but inability to do so, which to an extent I share. People who've never even heard about the historical Incarnation. People who've heard it in such a way that it actually conflicts with the light that already illuminates them, that they prefer their former knowledge of the light (Ghandi?). And so on.

The only people left out in the cold are those who say to the light, regardless of how they experience it, "I know, I know, but bugger off - I'm not interested". And actually, I know very few of these.

That's my take.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm still haunted - and, frankly, disturbed and upset - by the image that came to me yesterday: Jesus blessing a child, smiling and with his hand resting gently on its head ... while all the time thinking how his glory and majesty will one day be displayed by his throwing this child into a lake of fire, if it does not confess him as Lord.

[

As the nun said to St Peter - "That's a hard one!" Preliminary and trite response - "what if that child grew up to be Hitler or Stalin?" (To which my own internal emotional machinery replies "But what if it's my child?"

Big Brother will try to get back to you on that one....

Yours in Christ

Matt

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by contouredburger:
...and therefore whilst I hold to the belief in Hell I hope that St. Peter has a bigger guest list than I can find evidence to construct a more universalist theology on.

[Overused]

Yours in Christ

Matt

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Posted by Matt Black:
quote:
Preliminary and trite response - "what if that child grew up to be Hitler or Stalin?"
And my response to that - what if the child never grew up at all, but died shortly after this encounter? Imagined conversation between this 8-year-old and Jesus on the Last Day, according to the OP -

8-y-o: I know you don't I?
JC: Yes. We met.
8-y-o: That's right. You blessed me. Can I come into heaven now please?
JC: Hang on, did you during your earthly life acknowledge me as Lord?
8-y-o: Erm ... what do you mean, exactly?
JC: I thought not. Go to hell.

(Angels fling the screaming child "But you blessed me ... you blessed me!!! ) into the flames. JC sits back in satisfaction at this demonstration of his justice, majesty and glory.)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016