homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: What if I'm right? (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: What if I'm right?
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And a question for sharkshooter.

Apologies if this one has been answered already - my impression is that Qlib raised it, but it was never answered, and we're all assuming our own answers to it.

You're asking us in this thread to imagine what we would do if we believed a number of things, including that
quote:
Anyone who does not acknowledge that Jesus is Lord here on earth will endure eternity separated from God.
In order to imagine that, I'd need to know what you mean by that "acknowledge".

Do you mean a one-off action, like a feudal knight going to swear fealty to the king before returning to his manor to carry on as he did before ?

That can be done regardless of motive ?

Or is this "acknowledgement" a code phrase for "trying as hard as one reasonably can to live a moral life", or similar ? Which is still open to anyone to do, regardless of their philosophy and values, but is a whole-life commitment which no-one can be sure whether they've made.

Or is "acknowledging" something that only a predefined subset of humanity - those whose temperament and experience lead them to find Bible stories or particular theologies plausible - can possibly do ?

My previous posts stated what I believe, and commented on what others have said, but haven't actually answered the question. And it's a good question. But not one I can answer without a clearer definition of the beliefs that I'm supposed to be imagining I hold...

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There seems to be a general drift among the people who support the OP's view of things towards saying that their view is somehow indisputably, provably, even empirically true and those who don't agree are wriggling around trying to avoid this truth, or question the motives of God, or failing to respect God's ability to organise things the way she wishes. All of which seems to presuppose that your (generic your) interpretation of 'the way things are' is correct to start off with.

I'm afraid I just don't see it. You've all (on both sides) posted bits of scripture to prove your points and I haven't seen a single one to prove incontrovertibly that (say) Lep knows more about the mind of God than Qlib and Justinian do (or vice versa). Every single one has either been open to interpretation or blatantly contradicted by another verse elsewhere.

I'm not sure what this leads me to think, except that I suppose we'll all find out the truth after we're dead and perhaps there is little point fighting about it now? (Unless of course those who think we'll all get what we expect are correct, then we'll all be able to go to heaven, hell, eternity or oblivion with smug looks on our faces, and God will have a good chortle at us all).

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:

You're asking us in this thread to imagine what we would do if we believed a number of things, including that
quote:
Anyone who does not acknowledge that Jesus is Lord here on earth will endure eternity separated from God.
In order to imagine that, I'd need to know what you mean by that "acknowledge".

I'm not going to try to define it, but describe how it would look if one were to "acknowledge Jesus as Lord."

I see a person living a life in accordance with the teachings of scripture - a person who has dedicated his/her life to following Christ. I see a person who is sharing his/her faith in Jesus with family/friends/etc. - with words, too. I see someone daily reading the Bible and praying. I see someone who is active in his/her church and working for the betterment of the community because of a belief that that is what the Bible teaches. I see someone actively involved in promoting Christianity locally and worldwide - and willing to take the heat for it.

That is, I see someone, with the help of the Holy Spirit, working to live the life to which they were called, like Jesus did.

This is the essence of what I meant.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
I'm not sure what this leads me to think, except that I suppose we'll all find out the truth after we're dead and perhaps there is little point fighting about it now?

Unless you believe there is nothing you can do about it after you are dead. Which was the point of the thread.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
So I can only conclude that you mean that we live in a universe totally controlled by a supremely powerful Being whose value system rates self-glorification higher than goodness (in the common usage of the word). Who a prudent man may collaborate with for reasons of self-preservation but no moral being can morally look up to.

I think there is an element of this in God.

If there wasn't, why would the first two commandments be all about worshipping Him, and Him alone? I think God has quite an ego [Biased] .

Unless it's about truth rather than Divine Ego [Big Grin] ? I always thought God wanted us to worship him, and him alone, because it was the truthful and right thing to do, and that giving worship to anything else was at best useless and at worst harmful. I don't think I ever saw it as fulfilling a 'need' in God's flagging ego [Razz] !
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
I'm not sure what this leads me to think, except that I suppose we'll all find out the truth after we're dead and perhaps there is little point fighting about it now?

Unless you believe there is nothing you can do about it after you are dead. Which was the point of the thread.
In the absence of incontrovertible proof one way or the other there's not a great deal you can do about it now, either. Other than live according to your conscience and beliefs while never forgetting that you might be wrong.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
I always thought God wanted us to worship him, and him alone, because it was the truthful and right thing to do, and that giving worship to anything else was at best useless and at worst harmful

God did use rather harsh words for something that might be "useless or at worst harmful":
quote:
Exodus 20:5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Jealous, punishing, loving - all in One. I didn't write it - I just believe it - all of it.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was the word "jealous" that got me thinking about this as well.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
sanc
Shipmate
# 6355

- Posted      Profile for sanc   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the post began on a bad premise. no wonder a lot of people don't like the god the premise is describing.

first stop, we are not saved by by obeying all the commandments of the bible. salvation by grace means, we are not the savior of ourselves. their is a GOD who is loving and is ever ready to save us if we let HIM. if you want a life free of sin he will give you a chance. satan wants you to believe its impossible to live a sin free life. GOD says you can. JESUS led a sin free life with GOD's help.
2nd, people in old testament are not saved by doing the guidelines set out in scripture, for then this would be considered their savior. their is only one SAVIOR for humanity for all time, that is JESUS. the ceremonies that they perform points to JESUS' sacrifice on the cross. old testament people should believe that JESUS' sacrifice in the future will pay for the penalty of their sin.
3rd, there is no real hell NOW. satan is not in hell now. GOD threw that dragon satan here on earth as described in revelation. he is not in charge of hell. who gave him the authority? GOD is the absolute ruler of the universe, the future hell included. at the end of the world when HE comes, he will judge the world, those who permitted GOD to save them will given eternal fellowship with HIM, those who chose to continue to perpetuate their depraved and sinful existence will not be permitted to continue. "they will be thrown in the lake of fire."
4th, the purpose of hell is to burn sinners, to put an end to their existence. the fire of hell will consume them. just like the eternal fire that ravaged sodom and gomorrah consumed them, the inhabitants and their works. GOD does not take enjoyment from the torment of the wicked. GOD wants to save all people, a hitler included. but a lot of people dont want to be saved.

people should not be scared by the torment of hell to take refuge in the gates of heaven. they should be won by GOD's love and sacrifice. that's salvation by grace 101.

Posts: 358 | From: Philippines | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suppose we'll all find out the truth after we're dead and perhaps there is little point fighting about it now? (Unless of course those who think we'll all get what we expect are correct, then we'll all be able to go to heaven, hell, eternity or oblivion with smug looks on our faces, and God will have a good chortle at us all).

There is a story in the doctrines of my church, in which Christians who had recently arrived in the next life were gathered together to a conference. The topic of the conference was "What heaven is like." Everyone was asked to give their opinion of what happens to a person after death.

The recent arrivals gave the opinions that are commonly believed among Christians in this world. Some thought that those who accepted Christ would reign with Him for a thousand years. Others that they would feast with Abraham Isaac and Jacob. Others envisioned life in paradisal gardens. Still others expected perpetual glorification of God in glorious cathedrals.

Each group was then given the opportunity to experience the heaven that they had their hearts set on. [Biased]

The settings were astounding. The gardens, cathedrals, feasts and thrones were beyond what anyone could ever imagine in this world. Each group's joy exceeded their wildest dreams, believing that they had at last entered heaven itself.

After some time, however, the groups were visited again. They were no longer quite so happy. The joy of feasting, living in paradise, worshiping, and reigning with Christ, had faded. They realized that these were not things that you could enjoy forever. Their dreams were ruined. [Disappointed]

Angels then instructed them and told them that they were not lost. Heaven is not a place of happiness that you are admitted to. Heaven is within you.

That is, if you have been willing to receive heavenly love into your heart from God then you are in heaven. [Axe murder]

Heavenly love is the love of serving others and serving God because you care more about them than about yourself. The expression of this love is a life of useful activity. A varied life, that is organized around this kind of desire to serve, brings the kind of eternal happiness that does not grow stale. This is what Jesus taught, and believing in Him means to understand this and have it in your heart and life.

The recent arrivals heard this news, and they were overjoyed that they were not lost. They saw that their ideas were not right, and since they did actually believe in the Lord and have this love in their hearts they were able to adjust their thinking. [Angel]

I believe that in a sense the OP is right. But it's not the details of that belief (which I mostly disagree with) that save a person. It is the change of heart that a person who lives in obedience to Jesus experiences. When they arrive in heaven they will gradually learn what the truth actually is. If they have heavenly love from God in their hearts they will be able to accept it. If not they will seek out people who think and live the way they do. Depending on what those people are like this could well be a "lake of fire" experience. [Mad]

But what if the OP is literally right? I don't think that anyone can orient their life around what they don't truly believe. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sanc:
the post began on a bad premise. no wonder a lot of people don't like the god the premise is describing.

first stop, we are not saved by by obeying all the commandments of the bible. salvation by grace means, we are not the savior of ourselves. their is a GOD who is loving and is ever ready to save us if we let HIM. if you want a life free of sin he will give you a chance. satan wants you to believe its impossible to live a sin free life. GOD says you can. JESUS led a sin free life with GOD's help.
2nd, people in old testament are not saved by doing the guidelines set out in scripture, for then this would be considered their savior. their is only one SAVIOR for humanity for all time, that is JESUS. the ceremonies that they perform points to JESUS' sacrifice on the cross. old testament people should believe that JESUS' sacrifice in the future will pay for the penalty of their sin.
3rd, there is no real hell NOW. satan is not in hell now. GOD threw that dragon satan here on earth as described in revelation. he is not in charge of hell. who gave him the authority? GOD is the absolute ruler of the universe, the future hell included. at the end of the world when HE comes, he will judge the world, those who permitted GOD to save them will given eternal fellowship with HIM, those who chose to continue to perpetuate their depraved and sinful existence will not be permitted to continue. "they will be thrown in the lake of fire."
4th, the purpose of hell is to burn sinners, to put an end to their existence. the fire of hell will consume them. just like the eternal fire that ravaged sodom and gomorrah consumed them, the inhabitants and their works. GOD does not take enjoyment from the torment of the wicked. GOD wants to save all people, a hitler included. but a lot of people dont want to be saved.

people should not be scared by the torment of hell to take refuge in the gates of heaven. they should be won by GOD's love and sacrifice. that's salvation by grace 101.

Hello sanc, welcome

First, I'd appreciate it if you didn't type as if you are stabbing me in the chest with your finger. Thanks.

Second, I think you make some interesting points, although I don't really think you have adequately answered the Hitler issue. Surely grace is rather severely cheapened if Hitler can do all the things he did, say sorry and get into heaven.

Third, do you really think God wants to burn sinners? Maybe it is not what you meant, but suggesting that God was the 'absolute ruler' of all the universe including hell implies to me some level of preplanning. It might well be crap theology but my impression is that at the last God will have tried every way he knows to lovingly convince people to chose life, but some will be so wrapped up in themselves that they will not want to know. Like a broken hearted father, God will watch them leave with tears in his eyes.

Hope you enjoy the ride, sanc.

Freddy - that is interesting. I have heard a philosophy before that said people experience the afterlife they believe in (uh-oh I think it might have been from Terry Pratchett [Eek!] ). I hope to see a large number of people in heaven I am not expecting. Frankly, there are some who have had such appalling lives down here that they deserve it and the God I believe in would not cast them away. I hope to be there and what an honour it will be to be amoungst them.

C

--------------------
arse

sungara
Shipmate
# 5605

- Posted      Profile for sungara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sharkshooter,

i am fundamentalist and inerrantist. because of my fundamentalist, inerrantist interpretation of Matthew 25, i do not believe that only those professing Jesus as Lord will go to heaven.

but how much confidence do you have in your interpretation? if you were a doctor, would you try and witness to each dying patient - for as long as necessary to acheive conversion. would you withold painkillers in the last hours lest they prevent a conversion?

or would your god given common sense tell you that whatever your interpretation of a passage, this didn't seem like the right way to act?

--------------------
unbwogable

Posts: 218 | From: kenya | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by sungara:
sharkshooter,

but how much confidence do you have in your interpretation?

Much.
quote:
sharkshooter,
if you were a doctor, would you try and witness to each dying patient - for as long as necessary to acheive conversion. would you withold painkillers in the last hours lest they prevent a conversion?

or would your god given common sense tell you that whatever your interpretation of a passage, this didn't seem like the right way to act?

This is too much of a tangent - it has lost any sense of the purpose of the thread.

--------------------

sanc
Shipmate
# 6355

- Posted      Profile for sanc   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hello sanc, welcome

First, I'd appreciate it if you didn't type as if you are stabbing me in the chest with your finger. Thanks.

Second, I think you make some interesting points, although I don't really think you have adequately answered the Hitler issue. Surely grace is rather severely cheapened if Hitler can do all the things he did, say sorry and get into heaven.

Third, do you really think God wants to burn sinners? Maybe it is not what you meant, but suggesting that God was the 'absolute ruler' of all the universe including hell implies to me some level of preplanning. It might well be crap theology but my impression is that at the last God will have tried every way he knows to lovingly convince people to chose life, but some will be so wrapped up in themselves that they will not want to know. Like a broken hearted father, God will watch them leave with tears in his eyes.

Hope you enjoy the ride, sanc.

Freddy - that is interesting. I have heard a philosophy before that said people experience the afterlife they believe in (uh-oh I think it might have been from Terry Pratchett [Eek!] ). I hope to see a large number of people in heaven I am not expecting. Frankly, there are some who have had such appalling lives down here that they deserve it and the God I believe in would not cast them away. I hope to be there and what an honour it will be to be amoungst them.

C

My apology if in some way i'm too sharp with my typing.

i have no problem with a repentant hitler saying sorry, accepting the gift of salvation freely given to "whosoever beliveth in HIM", and then going to heaven. there is no sin as great that would render a person barred from the gates of heaven, because JESUS' sacrifice is greater. where sin abound, grace abounds the more.

no, GOD does not want to burn sinners. HE loves them. "for GOD so loved the world" sinners included, (may i say also hitler) but as HIS loving expression, HE will put an end to their depraved and sinfilled existence. how shall HE end their existence, during noah's time, water. at the end of the world when he comes as the OLD BOOK describe, with fire.

[Edited for quote UBB.]

[ 08. June 2004, 03:02: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

--------------------
I am, therefore I think.

Posts: 358 | From: Philippines | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
sungara
Shipmate
# 5605

- Posted      Profile for sungara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
sharkshooter,

but how much confidence do you have in your interpretation?

Much.
quote:
sharkshooter,
if you were a doctor, would you try and witness to each dying patient - for as long as necessary to acheive conversion. would you withold painkillers in the last hours lest they prevent a conversion?

This is too much of a tangent - it has lost any sense of the purpose of the thread.

you started the thread by asking

quote:

What if ...

There is a real Hell. Satan lives there - it is not a nice place. Anyone who does not acknowledge that Jesus is Lord here on earth will endure eternity separated from God.

Have you seriously considered it? What would you do/change if you were suddenly, somehow, convinced of it? How would it affect you?

well the scenario i give is how i would need to behave if i really believed that. so tell me - would you advise me to do that?

--------------------
unbwogable

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
i am fundamentalist and inerrantist. because of my fundamentalist, inerrantist interpretation of Matthew 25, i do not believe that only those professing Jesus as Lord will go to heaven.

Where does it say in Matthew 25 that people who do not profess Jesus as Lord go to heaven?

As far as I can tell, it says that the "righteous" go to heaven. Righteousness is shown elsewhere in Matthew to be something that we don't have enough of to be saved (e.g. 5:20, 48) and that we should therefore ask God for (e.g. 6:33, 7:7).

Also, have heard it said that the distinctive feature of Mt 5:31-46 is that no-one goes where they think they deserve to go.

Custard

[ 07. June 2004, 17:10: Message edited by: Custard123 ]

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also thought sungara's post was an attempt to answer the question posed in the OP directly.

Marvin - forgive me, but, if it weren't so sad, it would be hysterically funny that your view of God is so literalist - and therefore so vile - that you're struggling with the first and second commandments. I thought Anselmina's response was spot on.

Welcome, sanc. Cheesy - I don't understand your problem with sanc's post. S/he was stabbing in in the chest how, exactly? By listing and numbering the points made?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sungara
Shipmate
# 5605

it says that those who did not recognise they were doing anything for the lord will nevertheless enter heaven because of their actions (feeding hungry, visiting prisoners)

they are defined as righteous, and worthy of heaven because of their action, not their profession - and given that they did not recognise they were doing it for christ, it is hard to see that they were professing him as lord.

ie. they don't say 'oh thank you, we had read the gospel and hoped heaven would be our reward' they say 'Lord, when did we....?' as if in surprise.

granted other interpretations may be possible.

--------------------
unbwogable

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
so tell me - would you advise me to do that?

I'm sorry. I thought you were expressing a hypothetical - I should have read your profile.

No, I wouldn't advise anyone to forget his/her professional responsibilities.
quote:
would you withold painkillers in the last hours lest they prevent a conversion?

No. I think I described what I meant by evangelism earlier when I said:
quote:
I see a person living a life in accordance with the teachings of scripture - a person who has dedicated his/her life to following Christ. I see a person who is sharing his/her faith in Jesus with family/friends/etc. - with words, too. I see someone daily reading the Bible and praying. I see someone who is active in his/her church and working for the betterment of the community because of a belief that that is what the Bible teaches. I see someone actively involved in promoting Christianity locally and worldwide - and willing to take the heat for it.
I am not a doctor, and therefore do not subscribe to the same set of guidelines in my professional life that you do, in fact I am not even aware of what ones might apply in this type of situation. Indeed, I am not familiar with the culture in which you live. That being said, should you ask a terminal patient (out of the blue) about their religious beliefs etc.? If they expressed concerns about death and the after-life, I don't see any reason not to discuss your beliefs. Beyond that, get in touch with someone more fimiliar with your particular situation for advice.

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
it says that those who did not recognise they were doing anything for the lord will nevertheless enter heaven because of their actions (feeding hungry, visiting prisoners)

they are defined as righteous, and worthy of heaven because of their action, not their profession - and given that they did not recognise they were doing it for christ, it is hard to see that they were professing him as lord.

No - it doesn't define them as righteous because of their actions. It describes them as righteous, then lists some of their actions.

Besides, basic prinicple of understanding scripture for inerrantists (and others) is that you understand scripture in the light of scripture. Hence the word "righteous" in Matthew is defined by Matthew as a whole (maybe even bringing in the rest of the Bible), of which the last bit of Matt 25 is only a part.

Custard

--------------------
blog

sungara
Shipmate
# 5605

Dear sharkshooter,

i'm not asking you for advice because i seriously think that's what i should be doing - i would be struck off in the UK and probably chopped to death by relatives in Kenya (or failing that, colleagues)

you asked me what i would do if...... - and thats were the logic seems to take me.

my point is that believing someone just needs to make an acknowledgement of christ on their death bed to escape hell would lead to some of the kinds of behaviour i describe.

[ 07. June 2004, 17:52: Message edited by: sungara ]

--------------------
unbwogable

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
I always thought God wanted us to worship him, and him alone, because it was the truthful and right thing to do, and that giving worship to anything else was at best useless and at worst harmful

God did use rather harsh words for something that might be "useless or at worst harmful":
quote:
Exodus 20:5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Jealous, punishing, loving - all in One. I didn't write it - I just believe it - all of it.

Punishment isn't 'harmful'? Have I not embellished the word 'harmful' with enough overtones of fire and brimstone? Forgive the understatement. Let me elaborate, then. By 'harmful' I mean engaging in behaviour which is destructive either to others', or to one's own, humanity. Is that a wide enough catch-all to satisfy even the most sadistic rendering of what God would like to do to people who get on his wrong side?

Leaving aside the obvious Old Testament comeback from Ezekiel that 'the son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father....', referring to the learning processes of repentance undergone by Israel and Judah as they progressed in their relationship with God; I'm well aware that God is jealous for the worship of his creation.

Again, I would assume this is because it is the right and truthful thing to do? And not because he'll go to bed of an evening all huffy because he's being ignored?

I really can't imagine anyone would like to champion the 'God's got this big ego and it needs to be satisfied' argument over 'worshipping God pleases him and is demanded by him, because it is good and right to do it' [Confused] !

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
sungara
Shipmate
# 5605

quote:
Originally posted by Custard123:
No - it doesn't define them as righteous because of their actions. It describes them as righteous, then lists some of their actions.

Besides, basic prinicple of understanding scripture for inerrantists (and others) is that you understand scripture in the light of scripture. Hence the word "righteous" in Matthew is defined by Matthew as a whole (maybe even bringing in the rest of the Bible), of which the last bit of Matt 25 is only a part.

Custard

they only seem to get called righteous after their actions are first described - and it does seem to be on the basis of their actions that they get into heaven. and as i say above, they do seem completely unaware that their actions were done for christ until told.

how else should we interpret this passage?

[ 07. June 2004, 18:01: Message edited by: sungara ]

--------------------
unbwogable

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
...believing someone just needs to make an acknowledgement of christ on their death bed to escape hell would lead to some of the kinds of behaviour i describe.

Could, not would.

--------------------

sungara
Shipmate
# 5605

quote:
quote:
...believing someone just needs to make an acknowledgement of christ on their death bed to escape hell would lead to some of the kinds of behaviour i describe.

Could, not would.
why not? wouldn't you want to save them from hell with just a quick prayer? so what if a few people get upset - what is that compared to eternity?

--------------------
unbwogable

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Could, not would.
Or should??? Imagine further that now it's Judgment Day, and you've just been put over with the sheep, and you see one of these patients getting herded over with the goats. Wouldn't you thing, "Why didn't I just witness to him or her on his/her deathbed?"

At least that's the motive I've understood to be behind people I've known who have subscribed to something more or less like the OP. Personally, I don't. But when I have someone aggressively evangelize at me (or see them in action even if they don't get me), just after feeling annoyed, I appreciate the fact that they really think I (or whoever they're addressing) am going to spend eternity in hell. If they really think that, it's actually generous and loving of them to try to stop it. I try to think of it like that. If what they're doing is, in my opinion, giving a bad name to Christianity, I need to get busy counteracting it with the way I live my Christian life.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
J. J. Ramsey
Shipmate
# 1174

- Posted      Profile for J. J. Ramsey   Author's homepage   Email J. J. Ramsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
JJ - I don't see a wall; I see Leprechaun giving honest answers and thinking carefully about what he/she believes.

The "wall" I had in mind had nothing to do with Leprechaun giving or not giving "honest answers and thinking carefully." Rather, it's that it seems that those who agree with the OP (and that is not just Leprechaun!) look at it fundamentally differently from those who disagree.

--------------------
I am a rationalist. Unfortunately, this doesn't actually make me rational.

Posts: 1490 | From: Tallmadge, OH | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ScaredOfGrasshoppers
Apprentice
# 6485

- Posted      Profile for ScaredOfGrasshoppers   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having followed this thread closely since the beginning, I went back and read the OP. Sharkshooter, did you notice the absence of the word 'love' in your 'what if'? It seems like this is the one thing that's dividing the two sides of the debate here.

Some people, awed by God's love, and committed to Him because of that love, argue that the God of the OP bears no resemblance to the God they worship, (I imagine) because there is a glaring absence of love in your description.

Others, no less knowledgeable of that love, are seeing a snapshot of classic interpretations of various bible passages and their belief in the infallibility of the bible causes them to argue for the truth contained in the OP.

Sharkshooter, for the interest of those in the first category here (myself included), could you try rephrasing the OP making reference to God's love and how it is applied to each point you make?

I know this is a little skewed from the purpose of your OP, but I have a feeling that God's love is what's really important here, and I'd be interested to see how it works alongside your view of the world.

--------------------
"It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it; Fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it." - Aung San Sui Kyi

Posts: 30 | From: Torquay, Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Not a Care
Apprentice
# 1813

- Posted      Profile for Not a Care   Email Not a Care   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I almost gave up. After reading pages 1 and 6 entirely, I'm pretty dismayed at how long it takes to get into these enough to post a comment. But the mention of LOVE as God's most powerful attribute is something new and important to this thread!
Of course it was love that created the whole situation of salvation, not egoism or sadistic intent to punish.
But where does love fit into the explanation of Hell? I know the argument resembling the classic parents' line: I love you so much that I punish you. But that doesn't entirely explain it I don't think. If God has an unquenchable love for every person he has created, why would he let it be extinguished for people who have neglected, overlooked, or been influenced away from it for whatever fortuitous reasons?
Logic fails: if there is a traditional Hell then there is a limit to Love. If there is not then there isn't truly a free will.

Hopefully I have not digressed from the subject too much. Just seeking clarification.

--------------------
What did I just say?

Posts: 23 | From: Music City USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:

Ideally I'd spend a few days looking at the passage now, but don't have the time.

[Disappointed]

Maybe Kerygmania would be a better place for this one....

Here are some quick thoughts though.

In context (Mt 24-25), it seems to be about how those who profess to follow Jesus should live in the light of the fact that we do not know when Jesus will come back. This is the last in a sequence of 4 (or 5) parables from Mt 24:43 onwards. All the previous ones have been about aspects of being ready, so this one probably is too.

The passage itself has several different ways of describing those who go to heaven, including "you who are blessed by my Father" and even "you for whom a kingdom was prepared before the creation of the world" which comes before any mention of their actions.

So what is it about their actions?

The righteous are seen to be righteous by their love for God's people (and it is referring to stuff done for Christians v40). They see themselves as unworthy, but God counts positive actions on their part as demonstrating their saved status.

The cursed (v41), by contrast, think that they are worthy. What God counts as demonstration of their unworthiness, however, is not their actions but their omissions (v45). They aren't necessarily better than the "righteous" - the righteous did not feed, visit everyone. The actions are measured differently for the blessed and the cursed.

So what makes the difference in the passage?
Two things:

* Whether God describes them as blessed or cursed.
* Whether they think they are righteous or not.

So how should we be ready? In a sense, we can't be.

I'm sure there's a lot more there that I've missed, but that's a few quick thoughts.

Custard

--------------------
blog

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that everyone continues to ignore the most basic of all answers to these queries about God's love.

He loved the world so much that He sent His Son so that all might be given the opportunity to profess their belief in Him, be baptized, and be saved.

His love is shown in the gift of His Son. Our love is shown in our response to that gift. The reward is eternal life in heaven with Him.

To me, this is one of the most basic and (excuse me) fundamental of all Christian beliefs. I still cannot get used to it being questioned as it has been here.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
sungara
Shipmate
# 5605

quote:
Ideally I'd spend a few days looking at the passage now, but don't have the time.

[Disappointed]

[Disappointed] too....

but my point is that with an inerrantist, fundamentalist approach, i arrive at very different conclusions about the nature of judgement.....which seem to be not instantly dismissable.......although you clearly have arguments to support your different interpretation.

my other point (above) was the kinds of behaviour i would logically get drawn into by believing the OP.

--------------------
unbwogable

ScaredOfGrasshoppers
Apprentice
# 6485

- Posted      Profile for ScaredOfGrasshoppers   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey not a care

quote:
But where does love fit into the explanation of Hell? I know the argument resembling the classic parents' line: I love you so much that I punish you. But that doesn't entirely explain it I don't think.
Me neither. Can you imagine a parent throwing their child into a fire for not respecting them? No? Funny that...

quote:
If God has an unquenchable love for every person he has created, why would he let it be extinguished for people who have neglected, overlooked, or been influenced away from it for whatever fortuitous reasons?
I agree with this...

quote:
Logic fails: if there is a traditional Hell then there is a limit to Love. If there is not then there isn't truly a free will.

... but not this. To me, God gave us free will so we could love fully. If we are without a will of our own, it is not our love that we show, but someone else's. With complete free will, we are given the opportunity (i'd actually call it a really powerful and scary gift) to experience real love. And with free will comes responsibility, which means that you are responsible for your own actions and their consequences. How this impacts the question of Hell is up to the reader, but personally, I'm not sure Hell is what the OP suggests (see psyduck's comments above), and therefore have less of a problem with the idea that someone can choose to spend their eternity without God.

Peace

--------------------
"It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it; Fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it." - Aung San Sui Kyi

Posts: 30 | From: Torquay, Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
It seems to me that everyone continues to ignore the most basic of all answers to these queries about God's love.

He loved the world so much that He sent His Son so that all might be given the opportunity to profess their belief in Him, be baptized, and be saved.

His love is shown in the gift of His Son. Our love is shown in our response to that gift. The reward is eternal life in heaven with Him.

To me, this is one of the most basic and (excuse me) fundamental of all Christian beliefs. I still cannot get used to it being questioned as it has been here.

I think the point is that your view makes God's love conditional on our actions- just like humans love conditionally. "I won't love you anymore, if you don't love me." "If I can't have you, nobody can (including you)! [Mad] " Many of us think God is much better than human.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Grits:
quote:

But they weren't all given the opportunity, were they, Grits? Amazon tribes, Amazon tribes!
Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saith Grits:

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You really believe that God punishes people for things their parents, not them, did?

Eek!

Now, as well as the pre-frontal lobotomy I need in order to love a God who is going to torture my sister and parents for all eternity in Hell, I need to completely reject any sense of justice I ever had.

Atheism seems more appealing every day.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Grits:

quote:

I agree with you that it is pretty fundamental. However I think the God in the OP is not the God revealed through Scripture, Tradition and Reason.

The key point is, of course, the response to Christ. In the classic model one responds to Christ by having faith in him, which means, primarily, subscribing to certain propositions about him. Those propositions are revealed exclusively through scripture.

The revisionist model says that those propositions are merely a picture of God - a means of grace, rather than grace itself - which come, through human sinfulness, with a certain amount of historical baggage. So rejecting the propositions may not, always, be a rejection of Christ.

Let us imagine two young men who grow up in a country where there is a history of sectarian conflict between the Big-endian and Little-endian churches. Both are brought up as Big-endians and are taught from an early age that Little-endianism is a satanic parody of Christianity.

The first young man rejects this as he gets older. Seeing Christianity intertwined with hate he rejects it completely. He becomes an agnostic and spends his life attempting to end sectarian bitterness in his country.

The second young man believes to the end of his days that Little-endians are evil and that Little-endianism is a blasphemous outrage on religion and morality. He becomes a minister in the church and the leader of a political party which systematically opposes any attempts to reconcile the two communities.

I don't think that you would object strongly if I said that the second young man, the hater, whilst formally retaining the name of Christian had lost contact with the reality. Why do you object so strongly to those of us who want to insist that the first young man has retained contact with the reality of Christianity at the expense of the formal doctrines and structures?

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qlib:
Marvin - forgive me, but, if it weren't so sad, it would be hysterically funny that your view of God is so literalist - and therefore so vile - that you're struggling with the first and second commandments. I thought Anselmina's response was spot on.

As I'm sure I've said before, my view of God is not literalist. I'm putting myself into the position of a literalist for the purposes of this thread.

I feel like I'm an actor in a play, and you actually think I am the character...

Besides, my post on the first two commandments was very tongue in cheek. I thought the smilie gave that away, but apparently I was wrong.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MtM:
quote:
I feel like I'm an actor in a play, and you actually think I am the character...

Bravo! Encore! I'd picked this up, and I hope you picked up that I'd picked it up. Trouble is that if you put in a bravura performance, people will respond to you as though you embodied what you're acting out. In a sense, you do "embody" it....

Anyway isn't it good that I'm never confused about these things? [TANGENT:] That Karl Kennedy in Neighbours! What a prat! Somebody should have a good stern word in his ear...

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
they only seem to get called righteous after their actions are first described - and it does seem to be on the basis of their actions that they get into heaven. and as i say above, they do seem completely unaware that their actions were done for christ until told.

I think that your interpretation is exactly correct. This is completely consistent with everything else Christ says.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm putting myself into the position of a literalist for the purposes of this thread...I feel like I'm an actor in a play, and you actually think I am the character... Besides, my post on the first two commandments was very tongue in cheek. I thought the smilie gave that away, but apparently I was wrong.

But what about all your other posts? If you're adopting the role for the sake of this thread, then stay in role. Don't take up a role and then, when you're challenged, say, "Oh, but this isn't really what I believe anyway."

Who benefits when you adopt a role for the sake of the argument? Both sides (and there are clear 'sides' here) are diminished. Why bother making 'tongue-in-cheek' comments about God? So - do you think the God of the OP is an egotistical tyrant or not? Why not come out of role and tell us what you think?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
but my point is that with an inerrantist, fundamentalist approach, i arrive at very different conclusions about the nature of judgement.....which seem to be not instantly dismissable.......although you clearly have arguments to support your different interpretation.

were you really an inerrantist, the discussion would then go towards which conclusion was what Jesus was actually saying there. Yes, Bible study is hard work. But the Bible is consistent, and studying it is worth doing.

quote:
my other point (above) was the kinds of behaviour i would logically get drawn into by believing the OP.

unfortunately wasn't that realistic. It's not me who "achieves a conversion" - it's God.

I am not a doctor, but if I was, would I want every patient to come to "repentance unto life"? Of course, wouldn't you? Or was there no point in the Great Commission?

Would I do that by forcing my point of view onto them? No, because I can't give faith. God does that as the person turns to him.

Would I pray that I would get an opportunity to talk gently about Jesus with a terminally ill patient? Of course.

Would I withhold treatment to force such an opportunity? No, because that wouldn't be doing my job properly.

Custard

--------------------
blog

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Qlib:
quote:
I'm putting myself into the position of a literalist for the purposes of this thread...I feel like I'm an actor in a play, and you actually think I am the character... Besides, my post on the first two commandments was very tongue in cheek. I thought the smilie gave that away, but apparently I was wrong.

But what about all your other posts? If you're adopting the role for the sake of this thread, then stay in role. Don't take up a role and then, when you're challenged, say, "Oh, but this isn't really what I believe anyway."
I felt that you were beginning to get too personal, rather than talking about the ideas themselves. I thought a clarificaton was necessary.

quote:
Who benefits when you adopt a role for the sake of the argument? Both sides (and there are clear 'sides' here) are diminished.
I don't see it that way. The reason I do it (and this isn't the only thread I've ever done it on) is to gain a greater understanding of other people's positions by putting myself "in their shoes".

quote:
Why bother making 'tongue-in-cheek' comments about God?
Why not? If we relate to God only in reverence and fear (Biblical sense!), I think that is an incomplete relationship. God's someone you can laugh with, cry with, be angry or content with and yes, even take the mickey out of occasionally [Smile]

quote:
So - do you think the God of the OP is an egotistical tyrant or not? Why not come out of role and tell us what you think?
Yes, the God of the OP is pretty much an egotistical tyrant. The biggest problem I have with Christianity is the lingering fear that this (or something very like it) may actually be true. This thread has been (and hopefully will continue to be) extremely useful to me by allowing me to work my way through this issue with several folks who are much wiser than I.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

- Posted      Profile for FatMac   Author's homepage   Email FatMac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J. J. Ramsey:
  1. We are not in a position to rightfully criticize the morality of the God described in the OP.

This is because the God described in the OP is really God and thus the author of morality, and any criticism of his morality is a failure of understanding on our part.
  2. We are in a position to rightfully criticize the morality of the God described in the OP.

I suggest two reasons why this can be so:

1. Morality is independent of God, and thus God can be judged against it.
    2. The God described in the OP is not God, and is condemned against the standard of the real God, either implicitly by a God-given inituition that suggests that something is wrong with the picture described in the OP, or explicitly by comparing the God of the OP against Scripture and/or Tradition.

This is a bit wordy but I think I understand (and basically agree with it). For me a better way to characterise the differences in this thread is to say that they have to do views of the Bible. For some, their view of the Bible is such that its apparent revelation of God must simply be taken as a given. Any apparent contradictions or tensions must be lived with, or explained away using twisted logic.

For myself and others, a literal reading of the scriptures
actually results in a picture of God which is not self-consistent. So since we are not wedded to a fundamentalist view of the authority of scripture, we are at liberty to interpret scripture according to a framework which makes God logically consistent, with the fundamental anchor point being God-in-Christ's self-revelation as sacrificial love. This is the point psyduck makes in his excellent post.

It also provides the response I would give to Grits' post:
quote:

Grits I'm not aware that anyone is questioning the fact that God's gift of his Son shows his love. Quite the contrary, I think that what some of us are saying is that the love shown by God-in-Christ is foundational to God's character, and if this is so, then other parts of your story (eg only saving those who profess belief in him) are unworthy of the God of love.

Or to put it another way, we look at the big picture and ask, would a God loving enough to sacrifice the Son really set up a world such that the vast majority of those created in his image would end up in eternal torture? And the only answer we can give in the light of the love shown in Christ is "No, such a God of love could not do that - we must have misunderstood his plan."

--------------------
Do not beware the slippery slope - it is where faith resides.
Do not avoid the grey areas - they are where God works.

Posts: 1706 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not going to try to define it, but describe how it would look if one were to "acknowledge Jesus as Lord."

Ah.

Now you see, I thought you were asking us to imagine that we believed that there was a strict rule that the acknowledgers go to Heaven and the non-acknowledgers go to Hell, with "acknowledging" being some well-defined action.

But in the light of your response, perhaps that's not what you mean at all. Perhaps what you want us to believe is not that there's a hard-and-fast rule, but that instead we are to be judged by a living personal God who will take account of our entire life. So that (for instance) we can't make a deathbed conversion and get in on a technicality.

Is that closer to what you intend us to imagine ?

I'll try not to lapse back into rule-based thinking, but at least one of my previous questions is still valid.

Are we to imagine that we are confident of our salvation ? Is it a case of fearing God and seeking desperately to please Him because our everlasting life depends on it ? Or a case of being certain that we're OK because our daily prayer and Bible study, our effort for the church, etc, surely puts us on the side of God ?

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

As someone who broadly agrees with the statement in the OP (though with some strong reservations), I'll have a go at this...

Of course, I'm not answering for SS, and this is what I believe for myself. I do not intend to force this view on everyone else either, though I do think salvation works the same for all of us.

quote:
Now you see, I thought you were asking us to imagine that we believed that there was a strict rule that the acknowledgers go to Heaven and the non-acknowledgers go to Hell, with "acknowledging" being some well-defined action.

But in the light of your response, perhaps that's not what you mean at all. Perhaps what you want us to believe is not that there's a hard-and-fast rule, but that instead we are to be judged by a living personal God who will take account of our entire life. So that (for instance) we can't make a deathbed conversion and get in on a technicality.

Is that closer to what you intend us to imagine ?

I wouldn't say it is merely based on saying words. God looks at the heart/mind, and it is acknowledging Jesus there that matters. And if we do, then that should change the way that we live.

So assurance doesn't come from following rules either - the fact that I am (albeit slowly) changing to become more like Jesus (and I've still got a very very long way to go) is a consequence of my salvation, not a condition for it.

So my actions do not "earn points" for me towards salvation, nor do they "put me on God's side". Rather, they are a demonstration that God has forgiven me, has changed me and is changing me and therefore will not give up on me.

Custard

--------------------
blog

sungara
Shipmate
# 5605

quote:
quote:

were you really an inerrantist, the discussion would then go towards which conclusion was what Jesus was actually saying there. Yes, Bible study is hard work. But the Bible is consistent, and studying it is worth doing.

i was studying and discussing it - and i do genuinely believe the interpretation i gave.....

then you said

quote:

as you say, it is hard work. are you an inerrantist?

quote:
unfortunately wasn't that realistic. It's not me who "achieves a conversion" - it's God.
<snip>
Would I do that by forcing my point of view onto them? No, because I can't give faith. God does that as the person turns to him.

Would I pray that I would get an opportunity to talk gently about Jesus with a terminally ill patient? Of course.

Would I withhold treatment to force such an opportunity? No, because that wouldn't be doing my job properly.

sounds good to me as a response.

but it seems to go against the world view of the OP. are you arguing that doing your job properly might be more important than the individual going to hell?

saying that god achieves the conversion not you is true - but surely you need to open your mouth for god to do that?

why wait for the terminally ill to provide an opportunity? or would you also wait for the well and walking to provide an opportunity before evangelising?

--------------------
unbwogable

sungara
Shipmate
# 5605

Dear custard123,

just read your reply above to Russ.

If acknowledging Christ is seen in those sorts of terms, then it makes the second part of my last post above irrelevant to your position. (although perhaps not to the position of others?)

I would then broadly agree if 'acknowledging Christ' might also be seen in terms as described by Matthew 25 - including the possibility that those 'acknowledging Christ' may not have realised they were doing it in their lifetime.

--------------------
unbwogable

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
God looks at the heart/mind, and it is acknowledging Jesus there that matters.

D'you suppose He'll settle for one, rather than both?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by linzc:
quote:
Originally posted by J. J. Ramsey:
  1. We are not in a position to rightfully criticize the morality of the God described in the OP.

This is because the God described in the OP is really God and thus the author of morality, and any criticism of his morality is a failure of understanding on our part.
  2. We are in a position to rightfully criticize the morality of the God described in the OP.

I suggest two reasons why this can be so:

</font>
    1. Morality is independent of God, and thus God can be judged against it.
    2. The God described in the OP is not God, and is condemned against the standard of the real God, either implicitly by a God-given inituition that suggests that something is wrong with the picture described in the OP, or explicitly by comparing the God of the OP against Scripture and/or Tradition.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
This is a bit wordy but I think I understand (and basically agree with it). For me a better way to characterise the differences in this thread is to say that they have to do views of the Bible. For some, their view of the Bible is such that its apparent revelation of God must simply be taken as a given. Any apparent contradictions or tensions must be lived with, or explained away using twisted logic.

For myself and others, a literal reading of the scriptures
actually results in a picture of God which is not self-consistent. So since we are not wedded to a fundamentalist view of the authority of scripture, we are at liberty to interpret scripture according to a framework which makes God logically consistent, with the fundamental anchor point being God-in-Christ's self-revelation as sacrificial love. This is the point psyduck makes in his excellent post.

It also provides the response I would give to Grits' post:
quote:

Grits I'm not aware that anyone is questioning the fact that God's gift of his Son shows his love. Quite the contrary, I think that what some of us are saying is that the love shown by God-in-Christ is foundational to God's character, and if this is so, then other parts of your story (eg only saving those who profess belief in him) are unworthy of the God of love.

Or to put it another way, we look at the big picture and ask, would a God loving enough to sacrifice the Son really set up a world such that the vast majority of those created in his image would end up in eternal torture? And the only answer we can give in the light of the love shown in Christ is "No, such a God of love could not do that - we must have misunderstood his plan."

I disagree with your premise that we are entitled to 'judge' God by our standards of morality. I disagree because man's concept of morality is subjective and relativist whereas God's is objective and unchanging.

This is also where I take issue with the posters who have said, in effect, "Ugh! I could never love such a god!"; there is too much of the "clay answering back to the potter" (as Jeremiah would put it) - an attempt to judge God which we are simply not permitted to do. The bottom line for me is this: if we want God to be just, then we all deserve to go to Hell, because we have all fallen short of His perfect standard (Rom 3 etc); we are certainly in no position to judge Him. Thats the starting-point, for all of us. Alternatively, God then becomes created in our own image, a kind of cross between Santa Claus and Professor Dumbledore, who invites us into his study and says "Never mind that you've sinned, it really doesn't matter because it is dreadfully hard to be good; now have a humbug and try not to sin again, but don't worry if you do because it IS dreadfully hard to be good"

The love and mercy bit, as Grits has rightly said, is that God has provided us all (including Hitler if he wanted it) an undeserved way out of that predicament through Jesus, for those who wish to accept it. That goes beyond justice.

So, I have no problem with the God of the OP (although Sharkshooter should have thown in love as that's quite fundamental) - He's the God I love, worship and know, and He is not merely just but also merciful. And, Grits [Overused]

Yours in Christ

Matt

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016