homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: What are cathedrals for? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: What are cathedrals for?
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been involved in some argy bargy about this on a couple of threads now. To me cathedrals are merely very expensive, pretty, but cumbersome buildings, which are more useful for historical value than evangelistic outreach. If I was Rowan Williams I'd sign them over to the National Trust with the proviso that Christians could keep meeting there if they want.

Others evidently disagree. Tell me why? Convince me! What are they for? Why should the church pump millions of quid into them?

[ 08. January 2006, 22:02: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
He hath loved us, He hath loved us, because he would love

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are immense, powerful and lasting testaments to the glory of God.

Letting them fall into disrepair or allowing them to become merely museums would be like suggesting that the Bach B Minor mass is not really important any more because its getting on for 400 years old. Or saying that those drawings made by early Christians on the walls of the Catacombs don't really matter. Or saying that all that stuff Michelangelo painted is just a load of old painting really.

All of the above might be the case for you. It is not true for a great many devoted Christians. This stuff matters!

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Posts: 745 | From: Bath, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leprechaun,

Why are "historical value" and "evangelistic outreach" the only options for the use of a church building?

I ask this because frankly,, given the culture in which we live, church buildings themselves are almost entirely the province of Christians meeting together to worship in spirit and in truth; evangelistic outreach as such is best served outside of church services, either by individuals or by organised groups.

In fact, the "evangelistic service" is in my opinion almost entirely useless, both as a means of outreach and as a vehicle for communal worship. Church buildings are there for the support and nourishment of Christians; cathedrals doubly so.

The teeny tiny minisclue minority of converts who convert during actual church services mostly make their decision during business-as-usual church services, in my experience, regardless of the format of the service.

Second point? Why is a building's historical value of little use to the church? We as Christians are people of the book, and thus people of the story. Cathedrals and old churches tell us the story of those who have come before. It annoys me greatly when people think that church history ended with St. Paul and started again in the 70s with Gerald Coates/the 40s with the creation of Israel/ the 90s with the Toronto Blessing (delete as applicable). We as a church are a product of our history and our story. To deny that our heritage is part of our witness (and sometimes our shame) is to make it shallow and to separate it from our lives.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saviour Tortoise:
Letting them fall into disrepair or allowing them to become merely museums would be like suggesting that the Bach B Minor mass is not really important any more because its getting on for 400 years old. Or saying that those drawings made by early Christians on the walls of the Catacombs don't really matter. Or saying that all that stuff Michelangelo painted is just a load of old painting really.

Thing is, a lot of people do actually think that (and I know that Leprechaun is from a background where - like my own background - people do, even if he doesn't think so himself).

Me, I started out like that, but made the mistake of learning about the history of the church during my postgrad studies. I had an epiphany one day where I realised that yeah, this stuff does matter, because it's part of the story that brought us into being, brought us to believe what we do the way we do. To pretend that we live in a 21st century cultural vacuum makes our faith sterile and bereft of a great deal of its richness, in my opinion.

Like I just said, in fact.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cathederals are places where people meet to worship God in a manner and style that suits them. They are places where there is regular worship on days other than Sundays.

They are a place where people can find a quiet spot to be alone before God, even when there's other things happening and at almost any time of the day (OK, the latter should be true of far more church buildings but sadly isn't).

They are buildings which declare the value people place on God. A place where they want to declare to the world "This is how important God is, we want everyone to see it" in a way that a plain chapel (let alone a hired school hall) just can't. It's a witness that continues long after the original benefactors themselves are dead.

They are places people of all faiths and none are willing to pay to see and hear the gospel declared in architecture, iconography, music (there always seems to be someone practicing the organ when I visit cathederals), the shear fact that people value these places as places of worship. How many evangelistic rallies would people pay to see?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
In fact, the "evangelistic service" is in my opinion almost entirely useless, both as a means of outreach and as a vehicle for communal worship. Church buildings are there for the support and nourishment of Christians; cathedrals doubly so.

Amen, amen and amen to that.

--------------------
postpostevangelical
http://www.stmellitus.org/

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saviour Tortoise:

It wouldn't. It would be like saying, as we do with those things, these places are beautiful and should be preserved, while not being particularly useful any more.
I suppose some of this is my eccesiology - but I don't believe people see the glory of God in buildings, no matter how grand they are - but in Jesus. So it is Jesus being presented in a way people can understand that will display God's glory. if cathedrals are aiming to do that job, they will, surely, always fail?
Making them museums wouldn't be getting rid of our story - far from it, it would be preserving it, but losing the burden of large buildings which, as Wood so rightly said, aren't actually helping us reach people.
All of the things - stained glass, music, community actvity can be done in these buildings without Christians having to spend thousands of pounds/dollars preserving them. Why should we?

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

So you're saying that art is not useful?

--------------------
Narcissism.

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love architecture, especially old stuff. I love the carvings, the paintings, the stained glass, the grandure and majesty that is found in cathedrals. I love the peace and the prayerfull little nooks.

However, I don't like services in cathedrals. I don't find them worshipful, so I no longer go to the services.

I also love tiny little whitewashed chapel, tucked away, and stumbled over. I love the sense of history, and knowing that ordinary, every-day people, like me have been worshipping and celebrating here for 10 centuaries. It brings me back to my roots. It provides the link down the years, back to the Christ. It reminds me that I need to do my part to ensure that those to follow will be able to say the same.

For some people have very similar feelings for cathedrals as I do for little chapels.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
large buildings which, as Wood so rightly said, aren't actually helping us reach people.

Did Wood say that these large buildings (or any large buildings) aren't actually helping us reach people? I seem to have missed that. Wood, did you actually say that?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

Wood said this
quote:
I ask this because frankly,, given the culture in which we live, church buildings themselves are almost entirely the province of Christians meeting together to worship in spirit and in truth; evangelistic outreach as such is best served outside of church services, either by individuals or by organised groups.

Perhaps I misunderstood? Wood?

--------------------

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
large buildings which, as Wood so rightly said, aren't actually helping us reach people.

Did Wood say that these large buildings (or any large buildings) aren't actually helping us reach people? I seem to have missed that. Wood, did you actually say that?
Actually, I think my point was that they're not actually for evangelism, and that evangelistic services/ meetings are these days largely ineffective, irrespective of where they're held.

They have an entirely different purpose, being for the nourishment of believers meeting together to worship. Which was one of the things the church was supposed to do, last time I checked.

[ 10. May 2004, 14:53: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you find songs/choruses helpful for concentrating on God, Leprechaun?

How about the rhetorical skill that is the sermon?

These are the handiwork of men, but they point to God. Likewise, for some, the cathedral is a man-made object expression theology.

Terry Jones' recent history programmes made an interesting point - circa 1100 theologians were making a big thing about God being light, which pushed the builders to think how they can lighten the church building itself - ta-dah! you get the flying buttress, which allows you to have bigger windows, so the light of God shines through (except, of course, in Wales, where it's pissing down with rain all the time so it didn't make the slightest bit of difference).

Now, this is quite a different way of looking at things from some traditions, and personally I don't go for much in a cathedral other than the sense of a BIG space (being partially-sighted one can often be happily detached from all the clutter and the fiddliness of things), so Washington and St John's New York are pretty impressive because they are HEE-UGE, and have some interesting touches.

Not convinced that the pointiness of a Gothic arch is anything more than pointiness, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to demonstrate how they received a high and lofty vision of the Most High by contemplating one.

Toulouse cathedral - now, that's a corker, built in the 1400s but manages to look like a power station, and it's got a wonky nave because the navvies downed tools when the last rebuild programme ran out of money. Perhaps I am attrracted too much to the quirky and others wouldn't see the profound spiritual message in this about how our aspirations are often thwarted.

And Albi,, now that's nice, beautifully painted inside, bright red on the outside. Would I like to worship in it?

Cathedral worship is a very strange beast, and not to everyone's taste. I know I benefitted greatly from sneaking into Evensong at ******* cathedral some years ago, where there wasn't the pressure to say, "Hello! How are you?! Splendid! Praise the Lord!" of a Sunday. Would I go there now? Probably not. Does that mean they should shut it down? Now, really.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't believe people see the glory of God in buildings, no matter how grand they are - but in Jesus.

I disagree. Those buildings certainly do reflect the glory of God. Often very ordinary people have scrimped and saved to enable beautiful things to be made, for the glory of God.

When I see the beautiful, soaring gothic archways, leading the eye and the spirit towards God my heart leaps. In Chester, I have seen incredibly complex and stunning needlework. I do a lot of craft work, and I understand the skill and the devotion that has gone into its creation. Devotion and love, inspired by God, the physical prayers of God's people.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi
Surely Cathedrals aren't anything to do with Us reaching Them?
More to do with allowing God to speak in the silence.
Of which there ain't a lot these days, especially in churches.

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

Ok, my OP didn't really get to the point.

I have no doubt that some people are helped by cathedrals. I was not suggesting that because I am not we should close them down.
What I was thinking, is that they are a very expensive way of not doing what (IMO) we should be doing; they do not lend themselves to ministry amongst the poor, or to postmodern kids IME. They seem to do very little (at least where I live) to reach the middle aged and old, because they are cold and inaccessible to families.
So yes, while I can see that some people find them useful, is it really worth our while paying all this money for them instead of for - say homeless or student ministry, housing old people, and so on and so forth?
I ask because a lot of the anti-Jensen stuff in MW, rested on the assumption that there is a pre assumed right for things to be as they have always been. Esepcially when it comes to cathedrals.
Now if we can see that they are bringing people to Christ, then spend the money - but considering how much else we have to do, if they don't - well why?

--------------------

Wood
# 7

quote:
Wood said this
quote:

Perhaps I misunderstood? Wood?
Can I try and unpack this point?

I say, "cathedrals are not for evangelism", and you say, "great! you agree with me! Let';s sign 'em over to the National Trust" - your underlying assumption being that if it's not good for evangelism, what good is it?

Have I got you wrong here?

But my point was actually that church buildings - cathedrals especially - aren't for evangelism, but have a specific use which is entirely separate for evangelism, vis a vis surroundings in which Christians can meet and works of art which glorify God.

So, yes, I did say that they weren't helping us reach people, but only inasmuch as I was saying that they weren't supposed to, and that this was OK, since they have a purpose apart from that.

--------------------
Narcissism.

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's hard to put this into words, but I'll try. I've never worshipped at a cathedral but I plan to correct that soon.

When I was hovering on the borders of actually wanting to believe Christianity might be true, the knowledge of the presence of cathedrals and other ancient church buildings with their active worshipping communities, gave me a sense of what I'd now call an inkling of the communion of saints - the presence of a tradition that stretches back a long way. That this Christianity thing is not a silly little cult, it's not modern but it's been in this land a long time and it's still here. This was, very definitely, a witness to faith in Christ because of the living history I can see there.

If cathedrals were museums rather than active centres of faith as they are now, if older churches were all sold off to be demolished or converted into yuppie houses, if the only visible Christian witness in the land was from the people meeting in the school hall down the road (and I am NOT knocking the people who meet there - far from it) I might never have had this sense of the historic Universal Church that in some sense helped me to take the claims of this Church - i.e. the truth of the Gospel - seriously. I wouldn't want to deny that to others.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Ok, my OP didn't really get to the point.

I have no doubt that some people are helped by cathedrals. I was not suggesting that because I am not we should close them down.
What I was thinking, is that they are a very expensive way of not doing what (IMO) we should be doing; they do not lend themselves to ministry amongst the poor, or to postmodern kids IME. They seem to do very little (at least where I live) to reach the middle aged and old, because they are cold and inaccessible to families.
So yes, while I can see that some people find them useful, is it really worth our while paying all this money for them instead of for - say homeless or student ministry, housing old people, and so on and so forth?
I ask because a lot of the anti-Jensen stuff in MW, rested on the assumption that there is a pre assumed right for things to be as they have always been. Esepcially when it comes to cathedrals.
Now if we can see that they are bringing people to Christ, then spend the money - but considering how much else we have to do, if they don't - well why?

But again, you appear to make the assumption that evangelism is the be-all and end-all of everything that Christians do. Again, buildings are not for bringing people to come to know the Lord Jesus Christ. They are for Christians.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It wouldn't. It would be like saying, as we do with those things, these places are beautiful and should be preserved, while not being particularly useful any more.

Sorry, but what does "useful" mean in this context? Art is not "useful" in that sense. Cathderals are art. Art can be dedicated to the greater glory of God. Ordinary people like you and me can be led to contemplate the eternal, ethereal majesty of the ever present and omnipotent deity. Or moved to contemplate the intimacy and deeply loving sacrifice of of the
crucifixion. Or overcome with the power of the spirit in the world. All through the medium of art created by other human beings inspired by God.

quote:

I suppose some of this is my eccesiology - but I don't believe people see the glory of God in buildings, no matter how grand they are - but in Jesus. So it is Jesus being presented in a way people can understand that will display God's glory. if cathedrals are aiming to do that job, they will, surely, always fail?

Utter rubbish. When I was 15 I went with my family to a service in King's College chapel. A school friend of my brother, who was 13 at the time, came with us. Totally un-churched. He walked into the building and gave a prolonged and awe inspired "wow". You could have explained the significance of Jesus to him till you were blue in the face but nothing would have had the impact that this testament to God's glory had.

quote:

Making them museums wouldn't be getting rid of our story - far from it, it would be preserving it, but losing the burden of large buildings which, as Wood so rightly said, aren't actually helping us reach people.

Actually, they help us reach many thousands of people. Many of these people may not ever realise we reached them. So be it.

quote:

All of the things - stained glass, music, community actvity can be done in these buildings without Christians having to spend thousands of pounds/dollars preserving them. Why should we?

See above.

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because I want to avoid re-creating the wheel I've copied my last response to Leprechaun's last angst-ridden plea of 'why Cathedrals'. (I wouldn't mind knowing what specifically Leprechaun has against Cathedral churches and their communities. If they're such a dreadful thing then just put together a protest group and form a charity; something like Christians Against Keeping Cathedrals might give people the right idea of what you're about. Or alternatively get properly and actively involved with a Cathedral community and find out first-hand what they're for.)

quote:
From the 'Old church/new church thread: Anselmina: Why shouldn't the gospel be proclaimed and the Lord worshipped in a fantastically historical building representative of some of the best God-given arts and skills given to mankind down through the centuries, and what's more dedicated to his glory. And to see a cathedral as somehow being divorced from the community that it is inevitably part of is a bit like saying that 'church' is nothing more than a building. When one looks at a cathedral building you see nothing more than a tiny tip of a very large community and its often wide-reaching influence on the city it serves.

Surely, we are able to see beyond fashions of stonework and architecture to see through to the reality of gospel work and missioning that has been going on, and continues?

Archive the building by all means, but where are you going to put the people who worship there, visit during the week to pray or keep silence or leave prayer requests, who sleep by the boilers during winter, who wander in to ask questions of the clergy or vergers or lay workers, or scrounge a sandwich or a cup of tea off the Archdeacon or canon-in-residence? Where do the community exhibitions for local art work, industry and business, and social issues go; the children have their Holy Week or Advent workshops; the bellringers, singers, composers, musicians learn their craft specifically to the glory of God? Where else will a venue for huge services, and doubling as concert hall, community hall be as easily and accessibly found? And - here's the point - where can we find all this in the one building, right there in the centre of a city population? We'd have to build a great big building..... but wait, we already have. It's the cathedral, and what do you know it's already got God's name on it.
<snippety snip>

Many people do indeed make the mistake of looking at a church building, as if it were a National Trust building; merely representative of a way of life that is no longer applicable or useful, to be consigned to museum-status, without taking into account the community and fellowship life that often revolves around the work and witness of the members of the congregation who meet there. A very big mistake to make.

It might be as well to check out some of the points that were made on that thread as it's likely a lot of what could be said on this one is the same kind of thing.
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Katherinef
Shipmate
# 5811

- Posted      Profile for Katherinef   Author's homepage   Email Katherinef   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leprechaun said:
quote:
I suppose some of this is my eccesiology - but I don't believe people see the glory of God in buildings, no matter how grand they are - but in Jesus.
I'm having difficulty replying to this. I am someone who gets great spiritual joy and nourishment from cathedrals -- as much from their mere existence as anything else -- but also from other grand artistic endeavours engaged in by Christians. And when you say you don't believe people see the glory of God in buildings... *scratches head* well, if I told you that I never visited Salisbury Cathedral without coming away humbled and awed by the glory of God, would that change your mind, or would you remain convinced that it was "Jesus being presented in a way I could understand" that had the effect? What if I said that I see the glory of God when I look at a painting by Rembrandt, or the delicate rainbow of colours on a pigeon's neck? These things have no direct connection to Jesus or the Gospel, but they turn my thoughts towards God all the same.

I suppose if you are focused on the Word, and on evangelising, you will find cathedrals to be at best irrelevant and at worst a positive distraction from more important matters; but there is more to Christian life than the winning of converts. Cathedrals are a testimony to the times when there were genuinely Christian countries, such that internal missions were unnecessary. They were a statement of the values of the community, a sort of collective prayer of praise. The entire city would cry out in stone: See the glory of the Lord! Praise him, and all his works!

Some cathedrals are so neglected nowadays that they are like prayers in a dead language -- and when I say "neglected", I do not mean that they are physically crumbling; I mean that they are no longer connected to a vital community of faith who can bring the stones to life. And such cathedrals may perhaps be better transformed into museums than kept up at great expense. But there are many cathedrals which are not neglected, and the praises they sing are still heard and understood, and echoed by the people.

--------------------
"First consecrate your muffin..."
(Adeodatus)

Posts: 98 | From: Dublin | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
So you're saying that art is not useful?

All art is useless - St. Oscar.

From what I gather, Cathedrals are rather thriving as centres for worship, teaching and evangelism. Oddly though, if you had asked one of the many gurus of evangelism and church growth from the philistine mangerialist wing of the church (not synonymous with evangelical, I hasten to add) they would probably not have recommended old buildings, difficult music and thoughtful and learned teaching.

The Cathedral church, as we tend to think of it, dates back to the Middle Ages. So there are some grounds for thinking that it works. But it is testimony to a world view that says; "stuff economic rationality, what matters is holiness and beauty".

Which is pretty much, IMV, what the Church should be saying today.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
phoenix_811
Shipmate
# 4662

- Posted      Profile for phoenix_811   Author's homepage   Email phoenix_811   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, sorry if I'm a bit technical here, but isn't a cathedral any place that is the seat of a bishop? A cathedral could be a small shack if it is the main place that a bishop presides. I like worshiping in the big gothic cathedrals because, often, the accoustics are amazing and I always feel more worshipful when music is resounding. And they do tend to be places with deep spiritual roots and have worship conducive artwork and architecture. But I'm not sure that those qualities are what make them cathedrals. (Check the dictionary).

--------------------
"Preach the gospel to the whole world, and if necessary, use words." -St. Francis of Assisi

Posts: 487 | From: the state of confusion | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

Wood - yes. That is my assumption. I do think while a church activity can't be justified in terms of reaching people who don't know Jesus with hos message and practical demonstrations thereof, then they have to be rethunk. No matter how much Christians like them.

ST - Nothing you say makes me see why Christians should be under an obligation to preserve and keep and pay for these buildings. And certainly no reason why they should continue to run them the same way forever.
And you can say "utter rubbish" all you like - but is your friend that you took with you to Kings a Christian today? And if so is it REALLY because of his impression of God from that building rather than an encounter with the living Lord Jesus?

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, one very good reason why we should keep them:
They're the only place I can think of where people can walk into a designated area, set aside for God, and let Him(Her) speak to them.
There is nowhere else "set aside" where people can access God...without checking times or getting an invite.
Churches tend not to be open these dyas.
As for being relevant to those on the edges of society, I can think of one Cathedral that hosts a Caring for Carers evening once a month. Carers get pampered and looked after. It seems to be a great success. I'm sure other places get up to similar stuff.

BS
Apprentice
# 5684

- Posted      Profile for BS   Email BS   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I used to work in a Cathedral. Nearly 22,000 kids a year visited from schools. We tried to help them find the 'wow' factor, understand something of the history, but most importantly discover that there was still a living, breathing Christian presence in the place. We didn't always succeed, but we tried.

BS

Posts: 14 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Wood - yes. That is my assumption. I do think while a church activity can't be justified in terms of reaching people who don't know Jesus with hos message and practical demonstrations thereof, then they have to be rethunk. No matter how much Christians like them.

Like the Lord's Supper, you mean?

Like moral teaching, discipleship, mutual encouragement, worship, social action and the other Biblically-ordained non-negotiables of Christian living?

To read your posts on this thread, one would almost think that you see Christianity as nothing more than a self-perpetuating virus. "Right. You're saved and going to Heaven. Now go and do it to other people. What? You want to know if there's anything else to it? No, that's it."

[ 10. May 2004, 15:20: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really know the answer to Leprechaun's economic dilemma. After all, I tend to the view that pure economics - or at least market economics - are, when pushed to their logical extremes, very harmful to actual people. Thatcherite economic theory applied to cathedrals would do something similar to what they did to the industrial centres of Britain: destroy community life and take something intangible away from people for the sake of saving money.

If I may take Sydney as an example, there is an assumption in that case that the members of the choir and the regular attendees at Sunday Evensong had no spiritual needs being met in such circumstances, because the measure being used was the modern "Thatcherite" church game of "more people in a building at one time is what God wants".

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Cathedral staff really must get out of that nasty habit of forcing people in through the doors by gunpoint so they just have to contribute to the upkeep of the building [Roll Eyes] .

If putting a couple of quid into the donations or entrance fee box is your objection - don't do it, or don't visit Cathedrals. Most Cathedral communities have 'Friends of St.....' organizations who are dedicated to fund-raising for their church, and like any ordinary congregation will have people who gift-aid, freewill donate, bequest money etc.

If it's the scandal of your money going to a cause you don't understand or believe in, then keep it in your pocket. Or lobby the Lottery or, English Heritage or other publicly funded organizations that sometimes pass on dosh to churches.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Because I want to avoid re-creating the wheel I've copied my last response to Leprechaun's last angst-ridden plea of 'why Cathedrals'. (I wouldn't mind knowing what specifically Leprechaun has against Cathedral churches and their communities. If they're such a dreadful thing then just put together a protest group and form a charity; something like Christians Against Keeping Cathedrals might give people the right idea of what you're about. Or alternatively get properly and actively involved with a Cathedral community and find out first-hand what they're for.)

Oh come on! One can't ask the question without being accused of being on a campaign?
I, as a nonconformist, church that meets in a school, type, am genuinely confounded by the huge amounts of money the C of E pays towards maintaining these huge edifices. I genuinely want to know what benefit they serve to the church's mission. I was under the impression that finding out what others think was the point of the Ship.

And I know some of these things were addressed on another thread, but mixed in with a whole lot of stuff, and I wanted to have a discussion just about this. Why is that such an irritation to you?

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Wood makes an excellent point. The earliest Christians would have been bemused and possibly deeply offended by the notion of a "seeker-friendly" service.

After all, a seeker was meant to be educated and instructed in the faith before he or she did anything other than come to church for the first part of the service (the scripture readings and the sermon). Entry into the communion service and the intercessions of the church would follow only after baptism.

It's a curious effect of having a state religion that tried to control other churches' practices deemed to be seditious by making it illegal to hold "church" in a non-public setting - we think that attendance at a church service is a right rather than a duty of discipleship.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If this was Monday morning instead of Monday afternoon I'd say that in the south of England where I live the purpose of Cathedrals is so that shy Christians who wish to worship without having to talk to anyone, say anything, drink cups of cheap coffee, or meet any black people, can do so in peace.

I don't like Monday mornings.

As it is I could risk pointing out that the real financial burden on the church of England isn't the cathedrals - which tend to be reasonably well-attended and have other ways of getting money than the collection plate, but the hundreds of little parish churches that almost no-one goes to.

But the truth is I rather like Cathedrals.

Leprechaun, does advertising do any good for evangelism? Posters & stuff.

Because we have built hundreds of giant posters about Christ, all over Europe, buildt them out of stone and steel and glass, some of them hundreds of metres high... that's got to be worth something?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you read my post, Lep? Just wondering. I think Cathedrals are a wonderful tool for evangelism.
Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
Did you read my post, Lep? Just wondering. I think Cathedrals are a wonderful tool for evangelism.

GF, yes I did. I pray that there are many more like you. I have never met another one. I am willing to concede that a lack of research may be the root of my problem. [Smile]

Wood, at least part of the Lord's supper's purpose is to "proclaim the Lord's death". And all of the things you mention are for the encouragement of Christians, but why do Christians need encouraged? So that they will be more effective witnesses, in word and deed surely. In sense of course there is much more "to it" than what you say, but in a sense, not that much more.

Ken, GF has alerted me to the "advertising potential" of cathedrals. He is the first I have ever come across. As I say, that may be lack of research on my part, but many many non-Christians I know have been to cathedrals to visit and never once considered Jesus. That's my beef.

And I'm glad to hear that there are cathedrals doing good stuff, I really am. The ones I have lived bside (now, in total, 3) did nothing of the sort that I could see, despite my best efforts at finding out. If I have based my view on an unrepresentative sample I apologise.
My point remains, however, that there would be many many cheaper ways of doing the same thing. Call me a Thatcherite if you will, but that seems a good enough reason to me to ask the question.

--------------------

Wood
# 7

quote:
Oh come on! One can't ask the question without being accused of being on a campaign?
I, as a nonconformist, church that meets in a school, type, am genuinely confounded by the huge amounts of money the C of E pays towards maintaining these huge edifices. I genuinely want to know what benefit they serve to the church's mission. I was under the impression that finding out what others think was the point of the Ship.

And I know some of these things were addressed on another thread, but mixed in with a whole lot of stuff, and I wanted to have a discussion just about this. Why is that such an irritation to you?

Chill.

Just like everyone else, Anselmina is saying what she thinks. She's not accusing you of anything - she's inferring an attitude from what you read. As I have pointed out before, what one thinks, what one posts and what this post says to people are often three different things.

Please, please, please stop being so paranoid. You're clearly a nice guy. So why do you respond with such suspicion to what people are saying? There isn't a liberal conspiracy here. Nor are we out to get you. You wanted dialogue; you got dialogue, in the form of robust debate.

I make a point of being fair to people here. I don't think anyone here has crossed any kind of line. It is quite OK, and expected, here to say that what someone thinks is wrong; they are in turn expected to give some sort of reason why and to back up what they're saying. If they can't keep up, they bow out.

You posted on another thread a while back - sarcastically - that you were having trouble with telling the difference between reasoned debate and personal attack. It was a joke. But, you see, the thing is, I think you actually are having that kind of trouble.

A lot of people here don't agree with you. And it's not that they don't understand - the ones with brains do tend to ask for clarifications if they don't get it - most of them do understand and don't agree with you; they are in the process of telling you why. You are under no obligation to agree with them. If they have misunderstood you, it's up to you to clarify what you said.

Anselmina reposted a loing and fairly well-thought out argument that is directly in line with this thread. There is nothing wrong with that - it was, after all, relevant. This was what she thought.

And what about the rest of us? She isn't the only one who has engaged with your question. You wanted to know what we think, you got it. Now, please, dialogue with it.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Second Mouse

Citizen of Grand Fenwick
# 2793

- Posted      Profile for Second Mouse   Email Second Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You're massively over simplifying here. The Christians here are not just saying they "like" Cathedrals - but that Cathedrals have a really positive, strengthening effect on their faith - to inspire them, to move them to worship God, to appreciate his awesomeness. That's far more than just "like".

Even by your own terms, cathedrals serve an important role in reaching people who don't know Jesus. Even if the only people who ever went into Cathedrals and directly benefitted from them were Christians, but those Christians were moved to love God more and grow in their faith, then they would be better equipped and more able to reach out to others.

Building up Christians in their own faith is surely worthwhile, both for it's own sake, and for the sake of the outreach of the church, isn't it???

Posts: 1254 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
It's a curious effect of having a state religion that tried to control other churches' practices deemed to be seditious by making it illegal to hold "church" in a non-public setting - we think that attendance at a church service is a right rather than a duty of discipleship.

I think that was what I was getting at.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Actually, I think my point was that they're not actually for evangelism, and that evangelistic services/ meetings are these days largely ineffective, irrespective of where they're held.

I agree with you on the evangelistic service thing. They can be effective for a small number of people, but tend to be too in-you-face and cringeworthy for the majority of people to get behind the presentation to the Person presented. In many ways as a means of evangelism, cathederals are similar, the Person they present is for many people hidden by the presentation. Interestingly, I'd expect most of those who'll never see Christ behind a flashy audio-visual extravaganza of "youth culture evangelistic church" (or whatever is the current fad in outreach technique) to be the people most likely to see Christ in the gothic arches, stained glass and centuries of holiness built into a cathederal.

quote:
They have an entirely different purpose, being for the nourishment of believers meeting together to worship. Which was one of the things the church was supposed to do, last time I checked.
And, anyone who tries to seperate the nourishment of believers from action is putting assunder something of value. Put simply, you can't really be an effective evangelist without the support of a church to nourish your spiritual life. You might do good work feeding the poor and healing the sick, but without the church feeding and healing you in worship and teaching can you continue to do that and show the love of Christ?

If all that a cathederal does is provide a place where Christians can receive from God and other believers in worship together then it has done a wonderful thing that is beyond monetary value.

Though as I've said, cathederals do more than that.

--------------------

Wood
# 7

Alan,
Exactly what I was thinking about. Church services are manifestly not for outsiders, and now that we live in the days where the "revival meeting" and the "youth rally" are ineffective relics, one really has to ask: in a scheme where evangelism is the only thing worth doing, why meet to worship at all?

It all seems a bit reductio ad absurdum, frankly.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

quote:
ST - Nothing you say makes me see why Christians should be under an obligation to preserve and keep and pay for these buildings.

Actaully, most cathedrals pay their way pretty well. A great deal of their funding comes from raising money from "visitors" who may or may not be Christian - they don't have to tick a box to get in, and that's part of the reason I like the buildings.
quote:

And certainly no reason why they should continue to run them the same way forever.

I wasn't arguing for them being run in the same way forever. I was saying they are powerful and lasting testaments to the glory of God. The way they're run changes over time and that's just fine. I think what's going on in Sydney is pretty dreadful if I understand it correctly, but I wouldn't argue for "no change at all, ever". That would be silly.

quote:

And you can say "utter rubbish" all you like -

Thankyou. I will. [Big Grin]

quote:

but is your friend that you took with you to Kings a Christian today?

Frankly, I have no idea. I haven't seen him for about 13 years. What I do know is that he had some kind of encounter with God that day.

quote:

And if so is it REALLY because of his impression of God from that building rather than an encounter with the living Lord Jesus?

What does that mean. It's arch-Christian nonsense-speak. Most non-Christians wouldn't have the first clue what you were talking about. He had an "encounter with the living Lord Jesus" when he walking into the building and was taken aback by the shear beauty and immensity of it. That is a glimpse of God. "Through a glass, darkly" maybe, but still a glimpse of God. This may or may not have helped him on a journey of recognising the power of God in his life and the saving act of God through Christ Jesus.

[fixed UBB for quote]

[ 10. May 2004, 16:00: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

Damn. Would a kindly host like to sort out the code in that previous post? (Oh go on!) Missed the edit time.

[ 10. May 2004, 15:58: Message edited by: Saviour Tortoise ]

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
I don't really know the answer to Leprechaun's economic dilemma.

I don't either. But, there are some obvious things to consider. Like it's very difficult to determine the monetary cost of cathederals. For a start, I would say it isn't fair to just take the total running costs - the average annual expenditure on repairs, cleaning and staff. All churches have these costs, so given that cathederals have active (and sometimes substantial) congregations you'd need to subtract from the cost of cathederals the cost that would be incurred in other churches having those people worship there. Other costs incurred simply to provide for tourists (aka people who volunteer to be witnessed to) are usually met by those services provided more or less I'd reckon (profits from gift shop and cafe, or donations at the door). I've absolutely no idea how much cost is then left.

--------------------

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As cathedrals are the only places normal people* are likely to attend (because they are pretty and have good music) perhaps we should get rid of all the other churches and just keep the cathedrals, as centres of evangelism.

* As opposed to the religious types.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
English Ploughboy.
Ship's tiller
# 4205

- Posted      Profile for English Ploughboy.   Email English Ploughboy.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I concur with all above who marvel at the wonders of the Gothic arch. Our church is housed in a building with rather dumpy Norman arches, and has its own story to tell. However they do cost an arm and a leg to keep maintained and I think the problem with all these buildings is: are we actually being good stewards with our money when we could employ say another full time christian worker or feed and school a few hundred people in Africa with the money we spend maintaining them. We try to do both but struggle to find the balance

--------------------
Christmas: celebration of un-created love let loose upon a needy world,

Posts: 386 | From: Sussex and Rwanda | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:

<sigh> I suppose you couldn't have worked out by reading the emboldened capital letters of the suggested title for your 'campaign' that I was being sarcastic [Roll Eyes] ?

And I didn't accuse you of being on a campaign (oh, the joy of reading what is actually written); I suggested that if it was something you really did feel strongly about you might start a protest group.

quote:
And have there been answers offered? Yes? On this thread as with your other 'I personally don't see the point of it so why does it still exist' thread? Yes? However, you don't appear to be finding out 'what others think'; you appear to be saying that something that, at best you don't understand, and at worst you have judged to be unfit, shouldn't be around, and how can this atrocity possibly be justified. That's the tone I get from your posts. And that's the tone I'm responding to.

I'm still interested in why you seem to be so aggrieved that a particular member of the Church family should be determined to keep a rather successful flagship style of ministry going, mainly out of their own pocket and voluntary donation. JOKE ALERT: Hit by a falling piece of masonry one day as you passed by a Cathedral [Biased] ?

quote:
Frankly, because you don't appear to have taken on board the answers people are giving you. I can't even see much engagement with what others have offered. So even if you do want to know 'what others think' there's not much that qualifies as a debate going on, up to now.

Your posts are full of statements that cathedrals don't reach people; people aren't touched or moved by cathedrals, etc. And, yes, that's 'in your opinion' and 'in your experience' which is fair enough. But as this and the other thread clearly shows your opinion is just one of many, and your experience is, at least, limited in this area, as your own comments admit. If you want people to share your anxiety with CofE spending on Cathedral build you need to come up with something with a bit of substance and persuasion to it.

All you've managed so far, in essence, is 'cathedrals (about which I know very little) don't do the job I think they should be doing, so why shouldn't we get rid of them?'

I guess I'm irritated because I get the impression you really only want to complain about something you personally don't understand, and are not prepared to put up a cogent argument to justify your view.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Please, please, please stop being so paranoid. You're clearly a nice guy. So why do you respond with such suspicion to what people are saying? There isn't a liberal conspiracy here. Nor are we out to get you. You wanted dialogue; you got dialogue, in the form of robust debate...

...And what about the rest of us? She isn't the only one who has engaged with your question. You wanted to know what we think, you got it. Now, please, dialogue with it.

Chill.

Wood, I got the impression that Lep was dialoguing with the points you are making. He was also responding robustly to Anselmina - so what's new?

Back to one of the points you made earlier in the thread. You questioned Lep on whether evangelism was the be-all-and-end-all. Apart from being uncomfortable with compartmentalising aspects of the Christian life, it is extremely difficult to make the case that evangelism isn't a first-order priority for the Christian. Of course, there are aspects of worship which are for the 'initiated' but this does not mean that they should not also serve outreach. Churches should never become clubs for the likeminded, but open, welcoming communities dedicated to mission and evangelism.

The best Cathedrals do indeed explicitly attempt to evangelise amongst tourists, casual worshippers and the spiritually interested. They hold special events which bring large numbers of non churchgoers into Christian worship and they often have outreach aimed at schoolchildren and many other groups in the community. The worst cathedrals are inward-looking and obsessed with liturgical niceties. In an ideal world the Church of England's cathedrals would be showcases for the best we had to offer the people of this country. In the current climate of decline and financial privations I can't see churchgoers and communities being able to afford them in perpetuity. I think some kind of deal will have to be struck in a disestablished future which will bring such buildings under much greater state control.

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[snip]
[snip]

As one of those pomo kids... HEY! Don't you dare touch my cathedral!

I do have to admit, my experience with cathedrals in the United States is a bit different than with European cathedrals; my diocese dates to the late 19th c. but the building was erected in 1955 in the middle of downtown Sacramento. It only seats 750 people in the main sanctuary. The classroom buildings and attached medical center are at least four times larger than the cathedral itself. The classrooms are used by all sorts of community groups, and the Cathedral itself sponsors lecture series and free music concerts of sacred and secular music that are open to the public (and garner large turnouts). There are homeless outreaches, outreaches to the nearby business community, a strong Recovery ministry, and the Cathedral supports a local elementary school with volunteers and fundraising. From my experience, when you come to an event or use one of the services at the Cathedral, you are not asked, "Do you accept Jesus as your personal savior; watch out, your response will affect your level of service." which, unfortunately, I have seen happen at an evangelical pentecostal church I was involved with. However, the Cathedral and its community defintely are showing Christ to the world.

Here's an idea: you live near a cathedral. Infiltrate them. See where they need help in explaining the Good News. Explain Jesus' message to feed, clothe, bury, love. Open them up to families and poor and us poor pomo kids. (However, if you convince them to take down the crucifix for a OHP screen, you will have to answer to me. [Biased] )

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was 15, I met God for the first time. It was raining, I was in a field in the middle of nowhere and I was crying because I thought no-one loved me. Out of nowhere, God said "but I do". Nothing else: He told me nothing about Jesus, or about the cost of discipleship, or whatever. Just "but I do".

Flash forward five years. Five years of trying to make sense of this experience. Having done some research, I'd decided that Christianity seemed to come closest to stating what I believed and I was interested in finding out more, but I was in no way a Christian. I'd tried a few different churches and none of them had done anything for me.

Easter Eve 2002 I decide to give it another go. Well that's half true, a quater true probably. The other three quarters of the truth: I decide to go and listen to a free concert to be given that evening in a beautiful building. That night in the cathedral was the second time I met God, and that time he affirmed His presence in and His assent to that whole service. That was when I became a Christian. Drawn by the music and the beauty and the timelessness and awaken by and through the music and the beauty and timelessness.

So, don't say cathedrals are useless for evangelism. Had I not been drawn to the cathedral, I would never have been drawn to worship: I wouldn't have been baptised that summer, confirmed a year later, I wouldn't be singing or serving or have just preached my first sermon or have sat through the night talking to a friend about Jesus or have kneeled with another friend praying when they came to my flat traumatised.

I'm involved in a parish church now. On a community level it nourishes me in ways the cathedral wouldn't have been able to. But I still go back some times, because I need to. If you make that cathedral a museum, you historify my conversion, you historify my faith.

Of course I (as part of the church) am growing. I'm constantly surprised by where I can find God. Leprechaun, I feel desperately sorry for you if you can't see how cathedrals express God, if you're not letting him speak to you in that way. I imagine, if you knew how I cringe at some forms of worship you probably find very nourishing, you'd feel sorry for me too. I feel ashamed of this. I pray every day for God to perfect me in my weaknesses and for me to be able to experience Him in every which way out there. Tonight, I'll pray the same for you. [Votive]

What will you do if He answers my prayer?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ley Druid

Ship's chemist
# 3246

- Posted      Profile for Ley Druid   Email Ley Druid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by phoenix_811:
Um, sorry if I'm a bit technical here, but isn't a cathedral any place that is the seat of a bishop? A cathedral could be a small shack if it is the main place that a bishop presides. I like worshiping in the big gothic cathedrals because, often, the accoustics are amazing and I always feel more worshipful when music is resounding. And they do tend to be places with deep spiritual roots and have worship conducive artwork and architecture. But I'm not sure that those qualities are what make them cathedrals. (Check the dictionary).

Leprechaun says he is a non-conformist, so it's understandable that s/he might not have experience with the role of the bishop in answering the question "What are cathedrals for?"
I am amazed the that those posting in support of cathedrals haven't made more of it. Surely many denominations without bishops get along fine without cathedrals. Some even call their big churches cathedrals.

If the question is "What are big church buildings for?" then accoustics, evangelism and economics are all important I'm sure.

Cathedrals however, are intimately linked with bishops. In the Catholic tradition, bishops are physically associated with a territory, and a physical building, in which one finds a throne (the cathedra) upon which the bishop sits, symbolizing the authority of one bishop over that territory.

Without a cathedral, the bishop could wander from church to church, use stadiums for big diocesan events, and rent some office space for official business. However, I don't see how doing so would symbolize or promote the attachment of one bishop to a physical location and his exercise of authority within the same physical location. Of course, some might not want to symbolize or support the authority of one bishop over a physical area...

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016