homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Penal Substitution (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Penal Substitution
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seán D:

Boopy - yes it does sound too woolly [Biased] I suspect but can't be sure that maybe it would boil down to a difference in our understanding of the Bible's authority - you seem to regard the model of atonement you believe in as something which answers the questions you ask, whereas I prefer to think (perahps misguidedly!) that I am letting the Bible set the agenda. It tells me what the problem is, as well as the solution. Without revelation I wouldn't even know the problem!! Not that your view is unbiblical, or not influenced by the Bible - far from it. But because the Bible talks about the righteous, loving anger of God I can't ignore that the atonement must somehow also deal with this, as well as subjectively transforming humans. Both/and.

Yes, spot on; I think we probably do have different views of the bible's authority which leads us to different conclusions. Thanks for your gracious contributions which have helped me to formulate my thoughts. I'll stick with the woolly model though! [Biased]

[Edited for quote UBB.]

[ 14. May 2004, 00:51: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few times now I have been unable to post what I had written out or couldn't get onto this thread; Ship hit some rough waters I think. Sorry to those I haven't gotten back to after they quoted me.

quote:
Originally posted by Seán D:
[The problem lies in connecting the two. Yes it is penal (Jesus suffers punishment for sin), yes it is substitutionary (Jesus makes peace with God because we are not able to). But penal substitution connects these two ideas in a way which I don't believe the Bible does, by making it Jesus being punished instead of us. It is much more biblical to say that Jesus bears our sin and thus is punished as a sinner. It is the conglomeration of these ideas I object to, not the holding of these ideas in tension.

<snip>

Love and justice meet together on the cross. No argument there. The question is, did it take place by God punishing Jesus instead of punishing us, so that he didn't punish us? The answer to that for me is no.

You are right that Jesus bears the sins of the world (which is actually a very good way of looking at it, rather than just "Jesus is punished on our behalf"), I think this is part of PSA. The familiar PSA model is something like:
we are found guilty in a court of law by God, we are unable to pay the penalty, Jesus steps in and pays it for us.
Perhaps a better model is:
when we show up at court, as the charges are read out (or before), Jesus steps into our place. He takes the charges, the blame, the guilt, everything on himself. God then looks on him as though he really is the sinner because he has taken our place, and so God's consistent character demands that Jesus be punished. He then "beats the crap" out of sin by taking the full punishment for it, paying the price, and then rising from the dead because his life is of greater value than all the sins he could be punished for.

Alan Cresswell, you asked earlier if it was possible for God to punish Jesus and so completely pay the price for our sins, as some of our sins were against eachother (rather than against God). As in, if I were to sin against you then you would have the right to demand that I be punished; I could not arrange with a third party for them to be punished in my place unless you were in agreement.

The short answer is, all sins are ultimately against God and him alone. No matter how much I sin against you I cannot take anything from you (whether I take your life or your possessions or anything else) that God has not given you and which he is not free to take away if he so desires. In essence we deserve nothing more than eternal destruction; anything more is a blessing from God which he has every right to take away whenever he chooses.

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwingli*:

The short answer is, all sins are ultimately against God and him alone. No matter how much I sin against you I cannot take anything from you (whether I take your life or your possessions or anything else) that God has not given you and which he is not free to take away if he so desires. In essence we deserve nothing more than eternal destruction; anything more is a blessing from God which he has every right to take away whenever he chooses.

Just to add something small to that excellent point, that as we are all God's image bearers, I do think that part of the display of our rebellion against God is shown in our abuse of each other - our sins against each other are symptomatic of our rebellion against God.

--------------------
He hath loved us, He hath loved us, because he would love

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lep, this
quote:
But that is the great thing about the incarnation, passion, resurrection, penetecost. God, as a Trinity displayed his humility, his passionate love for us, AND his awesome holiness and justice. Yes Jesus, as such, did the humble bit, if I can put it like that without blasphemy. But Jesus is in some sense God the Father humbling himself. God humbles himself, but does not, as Trinity, make himself less than he is. Because this would be a failure to display his true glory in the world.

is really interesting stuff.

I would really like to explore more of what constitutes the glory of God, and how that is expressed. The classic text on the humility of Christ is the aforementioned Philippians 2 vvs 5-6
quote:
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death--
even death on a cross!

Now, what v6 seems to say to me is that the reason that Jesus was able to do that stuff was because he was the very likeness of the Father, or rather, the Trinity. Thus this implies that, not only was Jesus like that, he was like that because that is precisely what the Father is like! I have to say that I have always believed that it was precisely this kenosis of God that is His glory, or at least that shows His glory. In laying down Himself, he increases, not reduces, His glory. By humbling himself, far from making Himself less than He is, in fact he displays the fulness of His glory, almost, were it possible, makes Himself more than He would otherwise be.

There's a snazzy little verse in a Michael Card song that sort of captures a sense of how it is the "weakness" and humility of God (as represented by Jesus)that portrays, more than anything else, his strength.
quote:
The just and gentle chosen one would triumph o'er the fall,
And conquer, by His own defeat,
And win by losing all.

Michael Card, "Vicit Agnus Noster" (c) Sparrow Music

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JJ,

This is very interesting - just a couple of points on Philippians 2:

1) v6 also makes clear that there is a fundamental difference between Jesus and God - as Jesus did not grasp "equality with God". As such there must have been some way in which some part of the godhead made itself less than another part, while the other part remained glorified. If you see what I mean.

2) The second part of the hymn, which you didn't quote makes it clear that God exalted Jesus to the highest place. If the whole process of the incarnation, death resurrection ascension is Jesus revealing god's glory or character to us, then surely this is just as important?

--------------------

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lep, I'm not sure we're saying anything different here.

Of course, there is a difference between God the Father and Jesus the God-Man. Jesus was then limited by His incarnation, confined to time and place, did not have the Father's omniscience etc etc. That wasn't really the point I was making. I was writing of His character being the same as that of the Father, which is surely what v6 says. I also think that v6 is referring to Jesus attitude - that he did not hold on to equality with God which He had but emptied Himself etc etc. I don't think Paul implies that Jesus was any less God than the Father. Their roles may be different, but they share the same character.

As to your second point, well, of course Jesus is now glorified with the Father. But is He any more glorious as pantokrator than as suffering servant, or is He pantokrator because He is, as He was, suffering servant, and that is how the Father chooses to rule the universe? What if "weakness" really is strength, and not merely a means to strength, if Jesus was exalted to the highest place, not as a reward for His humility, but as a consequence of His humility, because that is how the universe is made? Would that not be a paradox worthy of the God of the paradox.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:

As to your second point, well, of course Jesus is now glorified with the Father. But is He any more glorious as pantokrator than as suffering servant, or is He pantokrator because He is, as He was, suffering servant, and that is how the Father chooses to rule the universe? What if "weakness" really is strength, and not merely a means to strength, if Jesus was exalted to the highest place, not as a reward for His humility, but as a consequence of His humility, because that is how the universe is made? Would that not be a paradox worthy of the God of the paradox.

Indeed. But back to the PSA question - it seems to be that God's character in Trinity is glorified not ONLY through humility, but also through "justice" or "the manifestation of his holiness". Is that the sticking point? That you think humility is the sum of God's display of his glory, whereas I think his glory is seen in his humility and holiness displayed on the cross?

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To me, this suggests that it "doesn't matter" what happens to God's creatures. I submit that there are many biblical references, too numerous to mention, that suggest that Gods cares very much what happens to his creatures. Which suggest that it does matter what happens to his creatures. Which suggests that God suffers from sin but that is also matters to God that human beings also suffer when they are sinned against. If someone gratuitiously tortures me, I believe that my mental and physical pain matter to God. It isn't just that God is angry because his law has been broken.

Ideas like this, plus the implied subordinationationism of "separating" Jesus as the Christ from the Father are getting close to the impression of a cold, uncaring God. One can say "For him to defend his glory is love" all one wants, but all this implication that God does not stand in relationship with either Godself or with his creation give the impression that his primary (definitionally self-decided) raision d'etre is to Be Glorious rather than to be in relationship. If he were human, we might start diagnosing this God as a narcissist.

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Sorry to have been so long gettikng back on this. Been trying unsuccessfully to board all afternoon. Bl@$*%y dial-ups!

Lep, I don't think I quite see my position in your summary, but I can easily see how you could come to that conclusion. I'll really have to think hard to give you a defin itive account of my position, but for a provisional account, how about this.

I would see a difference between what we might call God's character, which are attempts to describe what He does , and God's nature, which is a view of what He is. The former category consists of things such as His omniscience, His justice, his holiness etc. In other words, His, for want of a better term, behaviour. The latter category would be things such as Love, Humility etc. Now my position is that the former are merely detailed outworkings of the latter, and, if there is an apparent conflict between the two, then that is due to our lack of understanding of the meaning of the former. Thus, if, to use the case in point, it would seem to us impossible to reconcile God's justice with the forgiveness of sin without punishment (which I don't think is true, even on a human level, btw) then that is because we do not understand what is meant by God's justice, which is, in fact, just some aspect of His nature being worked out. Similarly, if (as I do not) one were to consider that it is possible for God's holiness to be compromised by association with sinners, that is because of our flawed understanding of holiness, because that, to, is just a particular operational outworking of God's Love/humility.

I hope that makes some sort of sense.

Of course, the bit of this schema that is tricky is working out what is God's nature, and what is his character. But more anon.

Seeker, once more, spot on. [Overused]

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
Originally posted by Seeker963:

Ideas like this, plus the implied subordinationationism of "separating" Jesus as the Christ from the Father are getting close to the impression of a cold, uncaring God. One can say "For him to defend his glory is love" all one wants, but all this implication that God does not stand in relationship with either Godself or with his creation give the impression that his primary (definitionally self-decided) raision d'etre is to Be Glorious rather than to be in relationship.

Sorry, who has been separating Christ from God? I have been at pains to show that actually my understanding of PSA is rooted in strong doctrine of the Trinity - Jesus IS God the Father humbling himself - as I've said before. Who is this criticism levelled at?

And this:
quote:

If he were human, we might start diagnosing this God as a narcissist.

is the point. God is not human. It would be narcissistic for a human to behave that way, it is not for God - this is a key part of his transcendence. The anthropomorphism you are using is extremely unehlpful, and, in fact, I think part of the issue that holds people back from accepting PSA is this very thing - a failure to see God's otherness from us. Just because we would not like to see a human acting in a certain way does not rule that behaviour out for God.
The line you draw between being in relationship and being in glory is a false one. God is glorified by displaying his eternal relationship of Trinity in every act - creation, salvation, judgement.
If indeed, as you are suggesting, you do not see the prime purpose of the Gospel, and creation as being the mainfestation of God's glory, then (as well as being a bit confusing, because you agreed with this when I said it before) we are indeed poles apart - for this will always be my bottom line.

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to be joining the thread rather late. I failed to have the energy to get my head round it during the week and began to read it this morning and have just finished it.

Lep wrote:
quote:
I'm not even sure that one needs to adopt a Calvinist position to explain PSA - the Evangelical Arminian position would be, as I understand it, that God knew in advance who would turn to him, and punished Jesus for their sins in advance. Not being party to that knowledge we proclaim the Gospel to all, knowing that the death of Christ is completely effective for all who will trust repent. That's not a position that I feel particularly happy with myself, but I can see why people hold it.
That doesn't sound like an Arminian position to me. The talk of God knowing in advance etc means it sounds like a Calvinist justification for evangelism (in fact it is remarkably similar to justifications I have heard Calvinists give). The point of Arminianism is that salvation is open to all. As Wesley wrote (in Father, whose everlasting love hymn 520 in Hymns and Psalms)

For those who will not come to him
The ransom of his life was paid.

Interestingly I got into an argument with some calvinists on Wednesday night about this. The first objection they gave to Arminianism was that it made got unjust if he punished people by sending them to hell after Jesus already been punished for them. It was only reading this thread this morning that I began to see why I had so many problems with that. Their answer did not only presuppose Limited Atonement (which they owned with no problem whereas I think it a huge distortion of the Gospel) but PSA which I don't except as the central understanding of the Atonement. To me, there is a difference between punishment and consequence and I view hell and the atonement being more about the consequence. If a child runs out into the road a parent would punish them for this, but them being run over would be a consequence of it not a punishment. The world (and us as part of the world) is a mess as a consequence of our sin and God loves the world and is redeeming it and the heart of that redemption is Jesus' death and resurrection.

Lep also wrote:
quote:
But that is the great thing about the incarnation, passion, resurrection, penetecost. God, as a Trinity displayed his humility, his passionate love for us, AND his awesome holiness and justice.
You missed the Ascension [Biased] .

Yes, I've been waiting for those things to be mentioned. I think that one of my biggest problems with PSA is the fact that the Resurrection seems (in the explanations I've heard of it at least) to be tacked on the end as a demonstration that Jesus' death worked but have no significance in and of itself. Whereas to me the death and resurrection are inseparable and the resurrection is integral to the act of atonement. Death's sting is removed by the resurrection rather than just at the cross as Lep wrote:
quote:

Death has lost its sting at the cross - eternal life lies beyond it, but it is the final enemy to be defeated.

I cannot see how someone dying can remove death's sting.

Equally, after the posting on this thread, I'm left with the impression that our salvation could have been achieved by Jesus appearing fully grown and being killed (possibly by the devil). What role does the incarnation have in the atonement under PSA? Is it just that Jesus needed to be sinless?

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GraceCantsin
Shipmate
# 6116

- Posted      Profile for GraceCantsin   Email GraceCantsin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden:
But to the extent that I understand either of them, they are pretty much the same: both say that someone had to die to pay the price of our sins and it was Jesus.

Am I missing something?

From a mystical viewpoint, Jesus our sacrificial Lamb is always dying for our sins.

--------------------
Once you find your way, you're there.

Posts: 56 | From: Cape Clod | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sorry, who has been separating Christ from God? I have been at pains to show that actually my understanding of PSA is rooted in strong doctrine of the Trinity - Jesus IS God the Father humbling himself - as I've said before. Who is this criticism levelled at?
First of all, I was disagreeing with some ideas you posted, not "levelling a criticism at a person". But I was talking about this statement:

quote:
v6 also makes clear that there is a fundamental difference between Jesus and God - as Jesus did not grasp "equality with God". As such there must have been some way in which some part of the godhead made itself less than another part, while the other part remained glorified. If you see what I mean.
Moving on to the rest of the post...

quote:
God is not human. It would be narcissistic for a human to behave that way, it is not for God - this is a key part of his transcendence.
This I cannot buy. I'm sorry, it's way too much philosophical jiggery-pokery for me.

quote:
The anthropomorphism you are using is extremely unehlpful,
And the real, true, genuine moral relativism in place in "When God tortures and murders, it's actually holiness and righteousness" is something I find profoundly unhelpful and I don't really see any way around.

quote:
If indeed, as you are suggesting, you do not see the prime purpose of the Gospel, and creation as being the mainfestation of God's glory, then (as well as being a bit confusing, because you agreed with this when I said it before) we are indeed poles apart - for this will always be my bottom line.
I think we are poles apart, which is why I left this type of Christianity. I most certainly do believe that creation is a manifestation of God's glory. What I think we disagree profoundly on is what "a manifestation of God's glory" is.

[ 16. May 2004, 19:05: Message edited by: Seeker963 ]

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GraceCantsin:
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden:
But to the extent that I understand either of them, they are pretty much the same: both say that someone had to die to pay the price of our sins and it was Jesus.

Am I missing something?

From a mystical viewpoint, Jesus our sacrificial Lamb is always dying for our sins.
This rather flies in the face of the the idea of Christ's once-for-all sacrifice for the human race, though.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
quote:
Originally posted by GraceCantsin:

This rather flies in the face of the the idea of Christ's once-for-all sacrifice for the human race, though.
I read it more as a statement that the single historic event (once and for all) was simultaneously an event in eternity outside of time. Thus when a sin is confessed of at that moment Christ dies in our place for it in the spiritual eternal relam. Of course, I've just used temporal phrases to describe an eternal event outside time.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
thomasWaterless
Apprentice
# 6069

- Posted      Profile for thomasWaterless   Author's homepage   Email thomasWaterless   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi,

I'm pretty new here and I hope I'm not talking too much warmed-over crud, but the idea I get when thinking about the crucifiction is that it is necessary in a moral-logical sense, not so much a legal sense or due to constraints on God due to His personality. The thing is, what if there was _no_ sacrifice as a consequence of sin? If the wages of sin are not death? While the forgiveness aspect of that seems positive, it seems it might destroy any fundamental morality of the universe. Sin leads to something good, good leads to something good, so where's the difference, what does anything matter?

If so, the reason that sin leads to death is to define universal morality and the reason for sacrifice is to uphold the integrity of that morality, not so much the integrity of God Himself.

If the relationship is at all fundamental, the moral necessity should mesh with other necessities, such as what humans would do to divinity if they got the chance and how divinity would respond with grace.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas

[ 16. May 2004, 20:46: Message edited by: thomasWaterless ]

Posts: 3 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Alan. Christ is the Lamb of God, slain before the foundation of the world. He is in a perpetual state of sacrifice for this, His fallen creation. His sacrifice on the cross brings into human history, His eternal sacrifice. It is therefore possible, and correct IMO that His once bloody sacrifice at Calvary, can be re-presented at every Mass, and I emphasise re-presented rather than re-enacted because a a historical event it happened only once.

But penal substitution is way off the mark in understanding Christian soteriology. To understand why the original disciples knew that Jesus had died for the sins of the world, its necessary to understand the Hebrew concept of zacuth(merit). It is the merit of His sinless nature which makes His blood cover the sins of us all. The Jews always believed that the merit of the Patriarchs saved them as a people. In Isaiah 53, God lays the iniquity of US ALL on the suffering servant.

The sinlessness of Jesus was sufficient, in late Second Temple Judaism to make Him a perfect sacrifice for the sins of the entire world. "Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis." A degree of substitution is bound up within this idea, but not the penal subtitution of Calvinists. We can relax in the knowledge that His perfection atones for our sins in His perfect sacrifice. We don't deserve God's punishment. He put us here, and He has arranged our perfect rescue. By the zacuth of His Son.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
The thing is, what if there was _no_ sacrifice as a consequence of sin? If the wages of sin are not death? While the forgiveness aspect of that seems positive, it seems it might destroy any fundamental morality of the universe.
I see wisely-administered punishment as being useful as a teaching tool in some contexts. I do not see it as achieving Justice. If we cease to know and to teach morality, fundamental morality will disappear. Killing someone in the name of our alleged morality doesn't achieve justice. Only righting the wrong achieves Justice (and sometimes Justice cannot be achieved because the wrong can't be righted.)

But it is certainly a fact that the person who is not afraid to die is radically free. He is radically free to be a suicide bomber and do radical evil. He is also radically free to lead people in protest and do radical good.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Seeker, you wrote
quote:
I most certainly do believe that creation is a manifestation of God's glory. What I think we disagree profoundly on is what "a manifestation of God's glory" is.

I'm absolutely with you on this one. You see, Lep, I think it's just as anthropomorphic to say "The universe exists solely for the propagation of God's glory, or whatever, when the very idea of that glory is only a human understanding of what glory, in the context of God'd character, means, as it is to say that God, according to the opposite schema, is behaving in a way that would be regarded as narcissistic if the Person concerned were not the Creator.

You see, I have great difficulty with the idea that God should commend a certain attitude to life, of humility, forgiveness, mercy, even justice, should enjoin us to pursue these things in imitation of Him, and yet behave in a manner that denies this. A right act is a right act, whether the act-or is God or a man. Right and wrong don't change their meaning between man and God. If that is anthropomorphic, then I plead guilty, but would say in mitigation that I don't see what other means God would want us to employ to understand Him. Jesus was a man, we are told to imitate Him.

As to the purpose of creation, I frankly don't think we have the evidence, from the scriptures or elsewhere, of what was in the Father's mind when He spoke the universe into being. I agree that the universe is a display of His glory, though for me the moral dimension to the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, edges it (the creation) into second place. However it as a step too far, IMHO, to deduce from this that the purpose, as opposed to the consequence, of the creative act was the demonstration of His glory. I think we would need to ask the question, for whom and to whom is God demonstrating His glory, and why. As for the atonement, I think that the scriptures are quite clear that He acted to save us out of His love. He was putting His creation, that which He loves, before His own rights, in exactly the same process which He enjoins on us. OK, that may be glorious, indeed I believe it is supremely glorious, but that glory is consequential, not causal.

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
That doesn't sound like an Arminian position to me. The talk of God knowing in advance etc means it sounds like a Calvinist justification for evangelism (in fact it is remarkably similar to justifications I have heard Calvinists give). The point of Arminianism is that salvation is open to all. As Wesley wrote (in Father, whose everlasting love hymn 520 in Hymns and Psalms)

For those who will not come to him
The ransom of his life was paid.

As I said, evangelical arminianism would hold the view that I proferred, and as I said I am not happy with the view. If you do hold on to PSA and an Arminian soteriology then you do need to explain why God appears to punish sin twice. The explanation I have put above is an arminian rather than a Calvinist explanation - which would say God chose in advance who to save, rather than just "knowing". The alternative is, of course to say, that God didn't know, or that the atonement is effective for all regardless, but then ISTM your choices are open theism - God doesn't know the future, or universalism, which, as Grey Face as said, is hardly consonant with the Biblical call to repentance.

quote:

The world (and us as part of the world) is a mess as a consequence of our sin and God loves the world and is redeeming it and the heart of that redemption is Jesus' death and resurrection.

Yup, completely understand this view, but it does say that God is, caught over a barrel by our sin, so had to send Jesus us to die. Which places the Almighty God at the mercy of our choice. Which I don't accept.
quote:

Equally, after the posting on this thread, I'm left with the impression that our salvation could have been achieved by Jesus appearing fully grown and being killed (possibly by the devil). What role does the incarnation have in the atonement under PSA? Is it just that Jesus needed to be sinless?

Carys

Good question. I need to think about this.

Seeker - how is believing in the transcendence of God, "philosophical jiggery pokery"?
For example. Just say a friend of mine goes around announcing that HE has decided the date and time that the world will come to an end. Too big for his boots - I think so.
But God, as author of creation rightly exercises his choice to make that decision.
All I am saying is that behaviour that is right for God (creator) is not always right for us (creature).Seeking to display his glory (and in the PSA model, this is humility, justice, and love)is not wrong for him because of who He is.

It is wrong for us to project our notions of what would be right for us, onto him - it is, in fact, seeking to make him in our own image.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
The alternative is, of course to say, that God didn't know, or that the atonement is effective for all regardless, but then ISTM your choices are open theism - God doesn't know the future, or universalism, which, as Grey Face as said, is hardly consonant with the Biblical call to repentance.

Or, you have the alternative mentioned a few posts back, that the Crucifiction was an event once and for all in time but also an event in eternity such that it happens now. That means that those who repent and trust in Jesus now, gain the effect of the Atonement now as in a sense the Atonement is happening now - God doesn't then need to know in advance what sins Christ died for, and he doesn't need to die for the sins of those who choose to reject him.

I've no idea if that made any sense at all. I'm also not entirely sure I believe it. I tend more towards Christ died for all sin, but that people still need to avail themselves of that.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:

You see, I have great difficulty with the idea that God should commend a certain attitude to life, of humility, forgiveness, mercy, even justice, should enjoin us to pursue these things in imitation of Him, and yet behave in a manner that denies this. A right act is a right act, whether the act-or is God or a man. Right and wrong don't change their meaning between man and God. If that is anthropomorphic, then I plead guilty, but would say in mitigation that I don't see what other means God would want us to employ to understand Him. Jesus was a man, we are told to imitate Him.

JJ, cross posted.

Yup. But there are obvious ways in which I cannot imitate Jesus because of who he is. There is a real difference between us and God. Surely that is self evident (see my example in my previous post)

Anyway, to get back to the topic, in the case of PSA, I am not sure this provides any problem. It gives us the model of "forgive at great cost to yourself". It gives us the model "seek justice". It gives us the model "seek the display of God's awesome character".
I think, you think, that I am saying PSA would justify us acting for our own glory, to vindicate our own character. No.
Only for God's glory, and that does rest in appreciating his "otherness" from us. And that is just self evident to me. That is the wonder of the incarnation, that God, WHO IS UNIQUE, became man.
If we think PSA is a justification for us to forgive only in a way that protect OUR integrity, then we fail to appreciate the ultimate importance of God's integrity, and the ultimate insignificance of ours. And I think if we fail to see that it is right for God to seek to display his awesome holiness, as well as his astounding humility, then there is something very lacking in our understanding of his character.

The other aspect of your post that I find I cannot accept is ironically, the difficulty I have with Anselm's theory of atonement, that you seem to consider God bound by a moral standard outside himself. IMO, all of our love of morality and rightness comes from God, and the ultimate standard of morality is HIM. That is why I believe that "moral acts" outside of faith in Christ are useful, but in the end don't bring us to know God.
Is this moral relatvism, as Seeker says? No it is not, because as long as the ultimate standard to be displayed is the glory of a loving humble and just God, and as long as I understand that I am NOT him, and therefore cannot take his roles upon myself (contra, eg the suicide bomber) then Christiam morality is demonstrated, not undermined.

As for the goal of creation...well another thread probably.

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
but then ISTM your choices are open theism - God doesn't know the future, or universalism, which, as Grey Face as said, is hardly consonant with the Biblical call to repentance.

Of course, just to throw a spanner in the works, there are reasons that could be given as to why repentance is urged, that don't ditch the possibility of universalism. Here's a couple, neither of which I particularly support, but they seem reasonable:
1. The call to repentance is for the benefit of this world, because God cares about his creation, but it has no bearing on ultimate personal salvation
2. Purgatory before heaven for everybody but if you don't repent now it'll be kind of unpleasant involving weeping and gnashing of teeth.

In a related vein, I'm off to start a thread about cheap grace.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Lep, OK, lots of points there, maybe I could just deal with some of them.

quote:
Anyway, to get back to the topic, in the case of PSA, I am not sure this provides any problem. It gives us the model of "forgive at great cost to yourself". It gives us the model "seek justice". It gives us the model "seek the display of God's awesome character"
Well this would be true, except that I don't see that a) what God means by justice is the same as the common meaning, and in particular that God's justice is inherently meshed with punishment, as PSA demands. I would see it as restorative, as per Seekers excellent post,
and b)PSA, where an innocent party is punished for someone elses sins is, I suggest, by any normal or scriptural definition of the word, unjust.
quote:
I think, you think, that I am saying PSA would justify us acting for our own glory, to vindicate our own character. No.
Only for God's glory, and that does rest in appreciating his "otherness" from us. And that is just self evident to me. That is the wonder of the incarnation, that God, WHO IS UNIQUE, became man.

Well, of course, I'm not arguing that, but the reverse, ie that because God enjoins us not to act for our own glory, and is quite definate about his condemnation of self-vindication even when, from a human view, it seems correct suggests to me that this thinking is coming from somewhere within Himself. This is confirmed by Jesus attitude, (who we believe the to be the very image of God in human form). And, as I pointed out, this was not lost on Paul. (St. that is , not TH). I find it puzzling that God should tell us, act this way, but I'm going to do something completely different. Put it this way, I'm not telling God how He should behave, denying His transcendance, as much as saying that I believe that, in Jesus, He has shown me what He is like, and that He is a reliable guide to the character of the Father.

quote:
If we think PSA is a justification for us to forgive only in a way that protect OUR integrity, then we fail to appreciate the ultimate importance of God's integrity, and the ultimate insignificance of ours. And I think if we fail to see that it is right for God to seek to display his awesome holiness, as well as his astounding humility, then there is something very lacking in our understanding of his character.

Not really sure what you mean here. It's not so much a question of whether it's right for God to do these things, as whether he does seek to do them. I certainly agree that the effect is that these aspects of His character are indeed displayed (though, as we have noted, we might have some differences on how those terms are understood), but I'm by no means convinced that this is His motivation.

quote:
The other aspect of your post that I find I cannot accept is ironically, the difficulty I have with Anselm's theory of atonement, that you seem to consider God bound by a moral standard outside himself. IMO, all of our love of morality and rightness comes from God, and the ultimate standard of morality is HIM. That is why I believe that "moral acts" outside of faith in Christ are useful, but in the end don't bring us to know God.
I must confess myself confused by this. Your summary is precisely the reverse of my argument. For PSA to be necessary (ie for Christ to have to be punished at Calvary) then it must mean that God is constrained by the "law". Wheras the law is merely our imperfect understanding of an aspect of His nature. I really don't see that saying that God is able to forgive a sin without the need for that sin to be punished is equivalent to saying that God is subject to an external necessity.

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
Well this would be true, except that I don't see that a) what God means by justice is the same as the common meaning, and in particular that God's justice is inherently meshed with punishment, as PSA demands. I would see it as restorative, as per Seekers excellent post,
and b)PSA, where an innocent party is punished for someone elses sins is, I suggest, by any normal or scriptural definition of the word, unjust.

As for point a) - ISTM in the Bible that sin IS always linked to punishment. I studied theories of punishment at university, and ISTM, that any theory rests on their being some punitive link between sin and retribution. Even a restorative view (which, incidentally is not precluded by PSA) requires a "wrong" to have been committed. My atheist tutor, with disgust, told us that the best writer on this issue was CS Lewis! Anyway, as I think we found the last time on this, it does come down to differing conceptions of God - I do accept the Bible's revelation of God in the OT that he is wrathful at sin and requires propitiating. The fact that he presents the sacrifice himself, to himself, of himself makes him more loving (and more committed to our restoration) rather than less.
b) depends on what you think the point of the punishment is. If, as you have indicated, you don't think "the sentence being served" is important, but rather ONLY the effect of punishment on the offender, then substitution makes no sense. ISTM that God thinks "the sentence" is very important.
quote:

Put it this way, I'm not telling God how He should behave, denying His transcendance, as much as saying that I believe that, in Jesus, He has shown me what He is like, and that He is a reliable guide to the character of the Father.

And was Jesus never concerned to vindicate himself? I think he was. Even, in fact, his demonstration of humility, was a self vindication, because he wanted to show people something of God's character in it. Again we had this discussion on the last thread. I think its more complex than "Jesus was humble". He who said
"my yoke is easy and my burden is light" also said "And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began." Was that glory, Jesus had before the world began just humility? I think not.
God's display of his character is more than just his humility, it is also HIS justice.
quote:

Not really sure what you mean here. It's not so much a question of whether it's right for God to do these things, as whether he does seek to do them. I certainly agree that the effect is that these aspects of His character are indeed displayed (though, as we have noted, we might have some differences on how those terms are understood), but I'm by no means convinced that this is His motivation.

You see, what is his motivation then? To love and accept us? He could have done that without the cross. To defeat death? He could have done that without the cross. To move us to love him? He could have done that without the cross. What he couldn't do was ALL of those things AND display his justice. That's why the cross, and that's why PSA is central.

quote:
I must confess myself confused by this. Your summary is precisely the reverse of my argument. For PSA to be necessary (ie for Christ to have to be punished at Calvary) then it must mean that God is constrained by the "law". Wheras the law is merely our imperfect understanding of an aspect of His nature. I really don't see that saying that God is able to forgive a sin without the need for that sin to be punished is equivalent to saying that God is subject to an external necessity.
Because you are saying that God must be constrained by OUR understanding of justice. I am saying he defines justice as HIMSELF being glorified, even where we do not accept it as just. PSA does not say that God is constrained by the law (contra Anslem). It says the law is an expression of God's character. God is only constrained by himself, not death, not our choice, not our hard hearts. It is this view of God that leads me down the road called PSA ville. [Smile]

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
That is why I believe that "moral acts" outside of faith in Christ are useful, but in the end don't bring us to know God.
This is interesting. Is this a personal belief or a Reform one? (I ask genuinely as I don't know a lot about Reform theology). Conservative Lutherans have a concept called "acts of civic righteousness" which those who follow the quietest tradition use to refer to all "good" acts done by the unsaved. These are actually considered to be acts which are "evil" in "God-space".

The Methodist position on works is that one does not earn one's salvation but that good works are certainly a fruit of having been saved. A Methodist would be sceptical of the claim that one could be "saved" for twenty years yet do no good works although we would enthusiastically admit to the possibility of a death-bed conversion.

quote:
Is this moral relatvism, as Seeker says? No it is not, because as long as the ultimate standard to be displayed is the glory of a loving humble and just God, and as long as I understand that I am NOT him, and therefore cannot take his roles upon myself (contra, eg the suicide bomber) then Christiam morality is demonstrated, not undermined.
My problem is I cannot view as "just" a God who thinks that destruction secures Justice. I cannot view as "humble" a God who seeks nothing other than his glorification. To have words and concepts that literally mean opposite things when God does them and we do them, is either relativism or it is nonsense.

To me, God seeks to bring about Justice by changing human hearts to encourage us to do what is right and repair the damage of Injustice. When that is not possible, God stands in solidarity in pain and suffering with us. To me, God's humility is expressed in giving his creation life and holding it in being when there is no "requirement" to do so; it's all wonderfully gratuitious. He wants to be in relationship with us because he wants to be in relationship with us - not because he needs someone to see his glory.

[ 17. May 2004, 11:36: Message edited by: Seeker963 ]

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
This is interesting. Is this a personal belief or a Reform one? (I ask genuinely as I don't know a lot about Reform theology).

I have no idea. I have never had anything to do with Reform.

quote:
My problem is I cannot view as "just" a God who thinks that destruction secures Justice. I cannot view as "humble" a God who seeks nothing other than his glorification. To have words and concepts that literally mean opposite things when God does them and we do them, is either relativism or it is nonsense.

And yet the mystery of the Gospel is that God achieves his own glory in the most wonderfully humble way. And that is why I love this doctrine for it reveals the essence of God - wonderfully humble yet awesomely glorious. Myabe this is nonsense, in the same way that the Trinity is nonsense - 3 and one, or the incarnation is nonsense - God and man. So be it. I love this nonsense.
quote:

To me, God seeks to bring about Justice by changing human hearts to encourage us to do what is right and repair the damage of Injustice. When that is not possible, God stands in solidarity in pain and suffering with us. To me, God's humility is expressed in giving his creation life and holding it in being when there is no "requirement" to do so; it's all wonderfully gratuitious. He wants to be in relationship with us because he wants to be in relationship with us - not because he needs someone to see his glory.

Yep. You see, I see it differently. God needed nothing - the Trinitarian relationship was perfect from eternity. He did not need our relationship or our praise.
Yet God chooses to order history such that we, privileged creatures can be caught up in his glory. This is an immense act of grace on his part. And he does not do it because he has a need that we can fulfil, he does it because it shows again his wonderful character. If he renounces or minimises his glory in the way that he does that, then he is not being loving to us - for we are missing out on what we are made to share in.

Incidentally, your theory still fails to account for the holiness of God. The whole Biblical witness suggests that God's reaction to sin, the outworking of his holiness in relation to it, is destructive. How can God come to us, lve in us no less, change our hearts, make us work for justice, if his burning holiness towards sin in the OT (and indeed portrayed throughout the NT in various places) brought destruction?
The various answers floated - the OT is wrong about God's character, God changed his mind, somehow Jesus contradicts this revelation even though he went out of his way NOT to do that I don't accept. PSA answers this question.

[UBB for quote]

[ 17. May 2004, 11:55: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Lep, you wrote
quote:
ISTM in the Bible that sin IS always linked to punishment. I studied theories of punishment at university, and ISTM, that any theory rests on their being some punitive link between sin and retribution.
Well, my University eductation was much more centred on microwave (EMR, that is, not the cookers [Big Grin] . But whilst punisment is, or should always be, linked to sin, (ie you shouldn't be punished for what you haven't done) ISTM that there is no per se reason for the reverse to be true. Because theories of punishment CAN be built on a link between sin and retribution, it does not mean that they should, or that, if they are, such theories are valid.

As for the OT revelation of God as being wrathful, I think we would stray to far into the realm of the rotting equines to pursue this. But for the benefit of those poor benighted sould who haven't slogged through the 30 or so pages on inerrancy, I believe that the OT revelation was radically reassesed by the reality of Christ. It wasn't so much that God was angry with sinners, as that sin and limited revelation distorted the view of those in the OT. It wasn't that God couldn't abide sin, but that sinful people couldn't abide holiness.

quote:
depends on what you think the point of the punishment is. If, as you have indicated, you don't think "the sentence being served" is important, but rather ONLY the effect of punishment on the offender, then substitution makes no sense. ISTM that God thinks "the sentence" is very important.
My argument was not about the sentence being important, but whether, by God's own standards, it is just. I suggest if it appears unjust to such fallible people as ourselves, how much more would it be unjust for God.
quote:
The fact that he presents the sacrifice himself, to himself, of himself makes him more loving (and more committed to our restoration) rather than less.
No problem with that, but to present Oneself, or Jesus, as a sacrifice does not equate to anyone being punished.

quote:
And was Jesus never concerned to vindicate himself? I think he was.

In fact, I don't think He was ever so concerned. I think that the Father vindicated Him, but the Son's desire was for onbedience, not vindication. Time and time again, in the Gospels, Jesus rejects the path of self-justification, and "opened not His mouth." Of course, He was vindicated, but that does not mean he sought such vindication.
quote:
Even, in fact, his demonstration of humility, was a self vindication, because he wanted to show people something of God's character in it. Again we had this discussion on the last thread.

Again, I agree that Jesus was vindicated. I do not agree that that was His motivation.

quote:
I think its more complex than "Jesus was humble". He who said
"my yoke is easy and my burden is light" also said "And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began." Was that glory, Jesus had before the world began just humility? I think not.

Well of course this isn't as simle as saying "Jesus was humble". There is a discussion to be had on what is the nature of humility, for a start. But consider to what Jesus was referring when he spoke the second quotation. He was talking about the cross, not the ascension. It seems to me He was praying that he might be strengthened in his self-giving - why? Because total self giving, total community, total love was the glory that He had before the world was created, or at least, that seems to be what he was saying here.

quote:
You see, what is his motivation then? To love and accept us? He could have done that without the cross. To defeat death? He could have done that without the cross. To move us to love him? He could have done that without the cross. What he couldn't do was ALL of those things AND display his justice.
Well, I always thought it was to remake creation, (and probably do all those other things as well). I'm not sure whether or not he could have done that without the cross and the resurrection, but He didn't choose to. He didn't choose to because he didn't choose to, not because of some constraint upon Him, ISTM. And if he could do all those things, why could he not do them and display His justice. Unless you believe there is an extenal law forcing upon Him a course of action.

quote:
Because you are saying that God must be constrained by OUR understanding of justice. I am saying he defines justice as HIMSELF being glorified, even where we do not accept it as just.
NONONONO!!!!! [brick wall] That is precisely what I am not saying. It is the proponents of PSA who say that the nature of justice constrains God to act in a certain way. I am saying that we cannot know what the fulness of Justice means in God's eyes. It is not MY understanding of justice, which I accept is limited, which I am seeking to, in some way, impose on God. But the one thing I would (and indeed, do) bet my life on, is that the divine concept of justice, as revealed by Jesus, is higher than any human standard. It is more restorative, more perfect, than can be thought up by the human mind. So it is reasonable, I think, to infer that, since Jesus is so concerned that we don't take retribution or insist on our vindication, this is at least the closest we can get to God's justice. Of course, it will be a great deal more wonderful than we can concieve, but it will certainly not be less than we , through the Spirit's inspiration, aspire to.

Does this not make any sense. I have tried to be as clear as I can on this matter. If we are to judge concepts such as justice at all, we must, surely, have some reference point. Mine is the life of Jesus. If he doesn't condemn, as far as I can see that means that God does not condemn.

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
It is the proponents of PSA who say that the nature of justice constrains God to act in a certain way. I am saying that we cannot know what the fulness of Justice means in God's eyes. It is not MY understanding of justice, which I accept is limited, which I am seeking to, in some way, impose on God. But the one thing I would (and indeed, do) bet my life on, is that the divine concept of justice, as revealed by Jesus, is higher than any human standard. It is more restorative, more perfect, than can be thought up by the human mind. So it is reasonable, I think, to infer that, since Jesus is so concerned that we don't take retribution or insist on our vindication, this is at least the closest we can get to God's justice. Of course, it will be a great deal more wonderful than we can concieve, but it will certainly not be less than we , through the Spirit's inspiration, aspire to.

Does this not make any sense. I have tried to be as clear as I can on this matter. If we are to judge concepts such as justice at all, we must, surely, have some reference point. Mine is the life of Jesus. If he doesn't condemn, as far as I can see that means that God does not condemn.

It makes sense. But it is simply faulty logic. It rests on 3 IMO, mistaken assumptions.
1) We have discussed before. Whether Jesus "never condemned". Which I am pretty sure he did sometimes.
2)Discussed before as well. That we should understand Jesus as rewriting the OT rather than fulfilling it.

3) is the one I am most interested in - that God would only require us to behave in a way that he behaves.
You see, this is why the underlying principle for me is the glory of God. For us to act in line with God's glory and for him to act in line with his glory is not the same. For us to respect him as creator and for him to act as creator will look different in practice.

Let's take an example. "Thou shalt not kill" It is wrong for us creatures made in God's image to decide to remove another of God's creatures from life. However, even in the New Testament it is not wrong for God to do this - look at Ananias and Sapphira - life is his to give and to take away.
The underlying principle is not some moral absolute that underlies the universe that both God and us are bound by.
The underlying principle is that God must be magnified, demonstrated, vindicated. But for US to do that, and for him to does not always involve us doing the same thing.

The point is that moral commandments God gives to us are not always incumbent upon God himself. For god to be glorified through us will look different than him acting to glorify himself.

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
I have no idea. I have never had anything to do with Reform
Oh, please. Do I really need to say "reform theology"? I wasn't talking about the organisation.
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
quote:
I have no idea. I have never had anything to do with Reform
Oh, please. Do I really need to say "reform theology"? I wasn't talking about the organisation.
Well sorry, but you did use a capital letter, and the noun "Reform" rather than the adjective "reformed".
Yes, the doctrine of total depravity is a reformed doctrine.

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
And yet the mystery of the Gospel is that God achieves his own glory in the most wonderfully humble way. And that is why I love this doctrine for it reveals the essence of God - wonderfully humble yet awesomely glorious. Myabe this is nonsense, in the same way that the Trinity is nonsense - 3 and one, or the incarnation is nonsense - God and man. So be it. I love this nonsense.
So why not love Satan, then? Seriously. You love a God who hurts people in an infinite way? This is what I don't get. Why on earth do I want to worship someone like that? In that case, give me the Greek or Roman gods. At least I have a chance to appeal to a god who is basically good over a god who is basically evil or capricious.

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
So why not love Satan, then? Seriously. You love a God who hurts people in an infinite way? This is what I don't get. Why on earth do I want to worship someone like that? In that case, give me the Greek or Roman gods. At least I have a chance to appeal to a god who is basically good over a god who is basically evil or capricious.

I'm not being rude. No really, I'm not, but I don't see what this comment has to do with anything we are discussing here. I don't think I made any mention of hell did I?

All I was doing is pointing out that God's character is complex, and nowhere is that complexity more revealed in his simultaneous self humbling and self glorification at the cross. How is that evil or capricious?

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Yep. You see, I see it differently. God needed nothing - the Trinitarian relationship was perfect from eternity. He did not need our relationship or our praise.
Yet God chooses to order history such that we, privileged creatures can be caught up in his glory. This is an immense act of grace on his part. And he does not do it because he has a need that we can fulfil, he does it because it shows again his wonderful character. If he renounces or minimises his glory in the way that he does that, then he is not being loving to us - for we are missing out on what we are made to share in.

This is getting incredibly frustrating. You read the exact opposite of what I wrote.

I specifically said that God doesn't NEED us. I reiterated that several times in several different ways.

quote:
Incidentally, your theory still fails to account for the holiness of God. The whole Biblical witness suggests that God's reaction to sin, the outworking of his holiness in relation to it, is destructive.
How can God come to us, lve in us no less, change our hearts, make us work for justice, if his burning holiness towards sin in the OT (and indeed portrayed throughout the NT in various places) brought destruction?
The various answers floated - the OT is wrong about God's character, God changed his mind, somehow Jesus contradicts this revelation even though he went out of his way NOT to do that I don't accept. PSA answers this question.

First of all, I'm not an inerrantist, so any answer I give you will probably be unsatisfactory. To me, it's about ultimate intention. The ultimate intention, the end game, implied in PSA is destruction. I don't see how a God who requires suffering and torture to appease his anger can be appeased. That's not forgiveness; forgiveness is letting go of anger, not trying to appease it.

The one thing I would say on a biblical basis is that the Old Testament is full of testimony that God cannot remain angry forever. I suppose you say this is because God intended to appease himself and I say that it's because it's in God's character to forgive. (I realise you'll probably say it's in God's character to forgive too, but I can't accept that a God who is ragingly angry for no reason other than his own holiness is forgiving)

I can see why we won't agree. This is actually starting to get emotional for me, so I'm going to bow out. It brings back all the feelings of "God hates your guts" that I grew up with. I'm not blaming you for that, just explaining why I'm bowing out of replying to this thread at this point.

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
I'm not being rude. No really, I'm not, but I don't see what this comment has to do with anything we are discussing here. I don't think I made any mention of hell did I?

All I was doing is pointing out that God's character is complex, and nowhere is that complexity more revealed in his simultaneous self humbling and self glorification at the cross. How is that evil or capricious?

What is being evil or capricious is not following any moral code other than "my honour must be upheld and my anger must be appeased".

I don't think I said anything about hell either.

I interpreted you as saying that God set up one set of morals for us and that he operates by another set of morals. I heard you say that anything God decides to do is, by definition, Godly and that yes, there are Holy Things that God has chosen to do that would be evil if a human being did them.

Implicit in PSA is the idea that God cannot forgive, is unable to forgive, without a violent, bloody, hurtful appeasement. This "inability" comes from his necessity to uphold his honour and his holiness.

To me, you are saying that forgiveness doesn't mean anything unless someone gets hurt. I do understand that people seem to think that it's loving of God to appease himself by hurting himself. That, to me, is just illogical. I'm bowing out now.

--------------------

thomasWaterless
Apprentice
# 6069

- Posted      Profile for thomasWaterless   Author's homepage   Email thomasWaterless   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The thing is, what if there was _no_ sacrifice as a consequence of sin? If the wages of sin are not death? While the forgiveness aspect of that seems positive, it seems it might destroy any fundamental morality of the universe.
I see wisely-administered punishment as being useful as a teaching tool in some contexts. I do not see it as achieving Justice. If we cease to know and to teach morality, fundamental morality will disappear. Killing someone in the name of our alleged morality doesn't achieve justice. Only righting the wrong achieves Justice (and sometimes Justice cannot be achieved because the wrong can't be righted.)

Going from the idea that justice involves a kind of balancing, I could imagine justice being served in a way did not repair a specific wrong. You could consider exactly the same wrong being inflicted on the wrongdoer (eye for eye) as just - even though the damage is doubled. I don't think that justice, in itself, is by definition good or productive, although good and productive things might have to be just.

In terms of the morality thing, though, I wasn't thinking of punishment but of consequence, which could be utterly unjust. If I sin, it's usually someone else who gets hurt. I was thinking that the essential relationship might be that a link exists between the class of actions called sin and bad consequences. Since, otherwise, sin seems to become an arbitrary concept.

So, if God prevented the consequences of sin, He'd remove that relationship and thereby remove the meaning of sin. So the crucifiction wouldn't be necessary because someone had to be punished, but because sin had to have an evil consequence, in the ultimate case the murder of God. God didn't crucify Jesus, we did. The sacrifice was implicit in the incarnation, given omniscience.

Presumably, God could have conceivably prevented the evil consequence of sin, namely the crucifiction. But if He had, He would have taken away the meaning of sin, and hence perhaps the opportunity for repentance. Preventing the crucifiction might have been the ultimate temptation of God, even.

God not giving in to that temptation might have given us the chance to, e.g., repent. Could Jesus have in such a sense died for us?

quote:

But it is certainly a fact that the person who is not afraid to die is radically free. He is radically free to be a suicide bomber and do radical evil. He is also radically free to lead people in protest and do radical good.

I'd agree to a point, except I'd bet that people unafraid to die are often very afraid of something else. But I was thinking of "death" in "the wages of sin are death" not so much as a warning or legal demand, but as the way creation has been set up, to some eventual goal.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas

Posts: 3 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Going from the idea that justice involves a kind of balancing, I could imagine justice being served in a way did not repair a specific wrong. You could consider exactly the same wrong being inflicted on the wrongdoer (eye for eye) as just - even though the damage is doubled. I don't think that justice, in itself, is by definition good or productive, although good and productive things might have to be just.
If I understand you correctly, what I'm saying is that, to me, there can be no Justice if there is no repair. It's a definitional thing. What I'm saying is that doing exactly the same thing to the wrongdoer is absolutely not justice, definitionally. I'm saying that's retribution. I'm saying it's returning evil for evil. This is what I object to.

quote:
In terms of the morality thing, though, I wasn't thinking of punishment but of consequence, which could be utterly unjust.
I agree with that. I think sometimes, there can be no justice, in which case we just have to live withe mess and God lives with the mess too - whilst attempting to get us to participate in its repair and healing (I believe he sometimes does this himself in a way that we perceive to be miraculous, but I observe that miracles are pretty rare even though I think I've seen one or two in my lifetime.)

quote:
If I sin, it's usually someone else who gets hurt. I was thinking that the essential relationship might be that a link exists between the class of actions called sin and bad consequences. Since, otherwise, sin seems to become an arbitrary concept.
Yep, I agree with that.

quote:
So, if God prevented the consequences of sin, He'd remove that relationship and thereby remove the meaning of sin. So the crucifiction wouldn't be necessary because someone had to be punished, but because sin had to have an evil consequence, in the ultimate case the murder of God. God didn't crucify Jesus, we did. The sacrifice was implicit in the incarnation, given omniscience.
I'm not entirely certain I follow you, but I absolutely believe that we crucified Jesus. But none of this is penal substitionary atonement. I'm not even against substitionary atonement. I'm against the "penal" concept and that idea that God had to maintain a criminal penalty in order to satisfy his holiness and to satisfy justice. I'm against the idea that "without a criminal penalty paid, there is no Justice and God cannot be holy".

I even said I'd go with civil substitionary atonement to underline the seriousness of sin. So I think we're on close to the same wavelength here.

quote:
Presumably, God could have conceivably prevented the evil consequence of sin, namely the crucifiction. But if He had, He would have taken away the meaning of sin, and hence perhaps the opportunity for repentance. Preventing the crucifiction might have been the ultimate temptation of God, even.
Interesting idea!

--------------------

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
[Citing Thomas W]

Interesting idea!
I think it is a very powerful idea too: certainly I would think it fair to say that Jesus was tempted not to go through with the cross but to gain power through human means (the temptations in the wilderness could all be read forward as being types of the temptations he would presumably have experienced prior to and during the passion). So certainly the incarnate God was tempted in this way. I'm not sure if the non-incarnate members of the Trinity can be tempted (seems less likely) but I would say that Jesus overcoming this temptation prior to the cross is one part of the vanquishing of sin's power (as well as it's penalty which we have discussed so much) which culminated and was completed in the cross.

--------------------
postpostevangelical
http://www.stmellitus.org/

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Lep, you wrote:

quote:
It makes sense. But it is simply faulty logic. It rests on 3 IMO, mistaken assumptions.
1) We have discussed before. Whether Jesus "never condemned". Which I am pretty sure he did sometimes.
2)Discussed before as well. That we should understand Jesus as rewriting the OT rather than fulfilling it.

3) is the one I am most interested in - that God would only require us to behave in a way that he behaves.
You see, this is why the underlying principle for me is the glory of God. For us to act in line with God's glory and for him to act in line with his glory is not the same. For us to respect him as creator and for him to act as creator will look different in practice.

Let's take an example. "Thou shalt not kill" It is wrong for us creatures made in God's image to decide to remove another of God's creatures from life. However, even in the New Testament it is not wrong for God to do this - look at Ananias and Sapphira - life is his to give and to take away.
The underlying principle is not some moral absolute that underlies the universe that both God and us are bound by.
The underlying principle is that God must be magnified, demonstrated, vindicated. But for US to do that, and for him to does not always involve us doing the same thing

Well I don't think the logic is faulty, though I agree that the premises which you outline are a fairly accurate summary of my position. I do, indeed believe that Jesus never condemned, (cf Jn 3:17 et al) though he certainly rebuked and disciplined on occasion, which is something quite different (Here, I'm talking about the Gospel accounts, rather than the interpretive minefield of Revelation).
I do indeed believe that Jesus so re-interpreted the OT that it, from a human point of view, He stood it on its head. The Jews of the time were certainly in no doubt about this.
I do, indeed, think that the concept of God's glory as motivator is a dead end. Let me unpack that. I am with you if you say, "Any action of God will always result in His glory being revealed in some way. This is a very long way from saying that any act of God must be motivated, wholly, primarily, or to a degree, by desire to increase or display His glory, which seems to be perilously close to what you are suggesting. Part of the problem is our understanding of the word "glory". The common meaning is magnificence, otherness. But, in biblical terms, Jesus refers in the passage from John, of the cross in terms of glory - not exactly the image that springs most readily to mind.

My point is that, wheras we percieve glory and humility as contrasting ideas, Jesus does not seem to. Thus, it could be said, by the very use of the word "glory" we are circumscribing God, constraining him to a behaviour that we regard as glorious, when He might have (and I believe the evidence is there, quite a different perspective.

The third point is, indeed interesting, but my point was, not that our idea of justice and God's should be the same, but that Jesus' idea of justice and God's should be the same. I could and would argue with you about whether "justice", (which I agree to have at its roots a manifestation of God's character, btw) is universal or changes meaning between God and man, but, surely, you wouldn't argue that Jesus perception and God's perception are radically different. I was not contrasting our sense of Justice with God's, but suggesting that Jesus' sense of justice and God's surely must be the same.

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

JJ, just quick comments, so as not to add to the impasse:

quote:
Well I don't think the logic is faulty, though I agree that the premises which you outline are a fairly accurate summary of my position. I do, indeed believe that Jesus never condemned, (cf Jn 3:17 et al) though he certainly rebuked and disciplined on occasion, which is something quite different (Here, I'm talking about the Gospel accounts, rather than the interpretive minefield of Revelation).
I do indeed believe that Jesus so re-interpreted the OT that it, from a human point of view, He stood it on its head. The Jews of the time were certainly in no doubt about this.

Disagree, discussed before. Dead Horse. [Smile]
quote:

I do, indeed, think that the concept of God's glory as motivator is a dead end. Let me unpack that. I am with you if you say, "Any action of God will always result in His glory being revealed in some way. This is a very long way from saying that any act of God must be motivated, wholly, primarily, or to a degree, by desire to increase or display His glory, which seems to be perilously close to what you are suggesting.

So perilously close that it is, in fact, what I am suggesting. [Big Grin]
quote:

Part of the problem is our understanding of the word "glory". The common meaning is magnificence, otherness. But, in biblical terms, Jesus refers in the passage from John, of the cross in terms of glory - not exactly the image that springs most readily to mind.

Agreed. I think God's glory is the outworking of ALL his attributes. The question, ISTM is in what way does the cross reveal God's glory? PSA says, yes his humility and love, but also his sense of divine justice. Without the latter (ie under any other theory of the atonement ALONE) God is "de glorifiying himself" by simply making himself less than he is.

quote:

The third point is, indeed interesting, but my point was, not that our idea of justice and God's should be the same, but that Jesus' idea of justice and God's should be the same. I could and would argue with you about whether "justice", (which I agree to have at its roots a manifestation of God's character, btw) is universal or changes meaning between God and man, but, surely, you wouldn't argue that Jesus perception and God's perception are radically different. I was not contrasting our sense of Justice with God's, but suggesting that Jesus' sense of justice and God's surely must be the same.

Yes, and in that we are back to point one - whether Jesus' concept of justice included any idea of punishment. Which I am pretty convinced it does.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I'm thinking that the question of what is Gods glory, and how he is glorified, may well be worth another thread. So much so, I'm off to start one.

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
I'm not entirely certain I agree with that. I don't consider myself an expert on Judaism by any means, but I've had a personal experience where studying Judaism helped to convince me that I was 100% certain that I wanted to remain a Christian. I've met another person on-line recently who told me she was 12 weeks into her course to convert to Judaism when she had the same experience.

The connection between the two of us is that we both grew up in the same denomination, both grew up convinced that God hated humanity and both grown up with the view that the Old Testament God is wrathful and angry. In studying Judaism, we both came to understand that Jews don't actually see YWH this way at all and that they see him as faithful, merciful and forgiving.

I think Jesus' attitude and action toward pacificsm was unwelcome. I think his devotion to God must have been unriviled. But I believe much of what he taught was already being taught by other rabbis in his time. I think what the Jews objected to was his suggestion that he was The Son of God. I think that he must have had an awareness about his identity that he communicated to people or they would not have accused him of blasphemy. I do think he claimed to be something that we communicate by using the words "Son of God" and that's what scandalised the Jews - as it must have done.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Lep:
quote:
So perilously close that it is, in fact, what I am suggesting.
Pretty certain it was - just didn't want to put words in your mouth (not, of course, that I've ever done that [Ultra confused] [Devil]

quote:
PSA says, yes his humility and love, but also his sense of divine justice. Without the latter (ie under any other theory of the atonement ALONE) God is "de glorifiying himself" by simply making himself less than he is.

Only if the sense of divine justice includes the notion of punishmnent, which is of course, not so much a bone, but a whole skeleton of contention between us! [Biased]

quote:
Yes, and in that we are back to point one - whether Jesus' concept of justice included any idea of punishment. Which I am pretty convinced it does.

And I'm pretty sure doesn't. I could cite the woman at the well, Zaccheaus, the Lost Son, the woman taken in adultery, his general ease with "sinners". Had you anything in mind.

Seeker:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not entirely certain I agree with that. I don't consider myself an expert on Judaism by any means, but I've had a personal experience where studying Judaism helped to convince me that I was 100% certain that I wanted to remain a Christian.

Apologies for my sloppy explanation. The point that I was responding to was not so much what First Century Jewish thinking was, but what was recorded from the time of the conquest of Canaan, the meaning and relevance of which is a debate of some history between myself and Lep, so the comment about Jesus' contemporaries was probably not helpful or informative. First century Judaism was by no means monolithic (what's the comment about putting two rabbis in a room and getting three opinions?). However, it certainly seems true that many Jews in First Century Palestine were looking for a specific type of Messiah, which they believed was prefigured in the OT, and they were offended by Jesus 1)because he claimed to be that Messiah, and 2) because He didn't conform to the sort of Messiah about whom they had read. They seemed particularly offended by His enjoinders to address God as "Daddy" (Abba) though I seem to recall from a sermon somewhere that this practice was not as unique to Jesus as is commonly thought.

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:

quote:

And I'm pretty sure doesn't. I could cite the woman at the well, Zaccheaus, the Lost Son, the woman taken in adultery, his general ease with "sinners". Had you anything in mind.

We've been here before. I could cite the woes to the Pharisees, the calling down of the judgement of Sodom onto Capernaum, "the axe is at the foot of the tree", "the men of Nineveh will stand up and condemn this generation" and so on and so forth.
Note we are not discussing WHO he condemns here, but that fact that he sometimes condemns some people. Which I think he clearly does.

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
However, it certainly seems true that many Jews in First Century Palestine were looking for a specific type of Messiah,...
As usual, I agree. [Eek!]
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I could be sure it would work, I just might be willing to have one of those penal substitutions. Mine's just too dang small.

Oh wait. That's not what this thread is about, is it?

Never mind. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

I would argue that such passages as "the axe to the root of the tree" are not condemnation, but warning. If I say to a child, "If you run out into a busy road without looking, you are likely to be killed," am I condemning them? Of course not. I'm merely pointing out the likely consequence of their actions, much as Jesus points out the likely response of the Roman state to messianic expectations that centre on God coming in temporal power, glory, if you like, rather than in humility, to save his people.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016