homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Homophobia: the meaning and use of the word (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Homophobia: the meaning and use of the word
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:
Originally posted by barrea:
I do believe too that the bible does teach that sex between two people of the same sex is wrong...

[Previous aborted post and duplicate of this one deleted]

But you think it's OK to abort posts?
Just to be clear in case anyone is under the impression that the comment about aborting posts was made by barrea. He didn't say that, I did to just indicate what had happened to an earlier post by barrea that he mentioned ... it was a quote from Fish Fish without comment, and I deleted it.

Alan
Purgatory host

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would make a difference, now wouldn't it. [Hot and Hormonal]

That's what I get for being a smart-ass.

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Clearly this principle is applied to paedophiles - for lots of good reasons. (No, I'm not trying to equate the two - just point out that the principle is applied to one group). So clearly this is not a generally applicable line of logic.....

ES please could you explain to me what you are trying to say here? I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. But this quote is defeating me. Ta.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fish Fish:
I don't hear anyone excluding you from eternal life, and I agree its up to God. I wouldn't dare step on his toes.

Well, that's a relief. Big of you. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
quote:
Originally posted by Space Monkey:
Oh, come on! You are saying that for a whole class of people, who are members of that class by birth not choice, the option of lifelong sexual union with one partner (something the church is supposed to value very highly) should not be available under any circumstances. You insist they should remain celibate (and saying it applies for straight singles too doesn't wash, because they have the option of marriage).

You may claim that it's God's law, loving the sinner, or whatever else you like, but there's no way you can deny that it's discrimination. That's what the word 'discrimination' means, you know. Or are conservatives going to start getting upset about having that applied to them too?

Clearly this principle is applied to paedophiles - for lots of good reasons. (No, I'm not trying to equate the two - just point out that the principle is applied to one group). So clearly this is not a generally applicable line of logic.....
To respond to Pyx_e: the emotional weight of the original statement lies in:

You are saying that for a whole class of people, who are members of that class by birth not choice, the option of sexual union should not be available under any circumstances.

The fact that it is padded out to say:

You are saying that for a whole class of people, who are members of that class by birth not choice, the option of lifelong sexual union with one partner (something the church is supposed to value very highly) should not be available under any circumstances.

makes for a more attractive statement within a church context - but isn't actually where MOST of the emotional content of the statement lies.

I'm aware that we are wandering into Dead Horses territory - but my point is that statement 1 is applied to one class of people - paedophiles. Therefore where society deems it wrong for sex in that context to occur, this group is banned from sexual union.

In the past 50 years, society has decided that the historic rejection - that was led by the church - of gay sexual relationships should be relaxed. So it is now acceptable to argue that statement should not be made about homosexuals.

To dismiss the possibility of expecting a group to remain celibate is a thus a dangerous basis on which to argue that gay sex should be seen as legitimate.

Which is NOT intended to draw any parallel between gays and paedophiles - just point out the flaw in an argument whose strength lies in its generality.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

- Posted      Profile for Kyralessa   Email Kyralessa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ES, one would think you'd been on the Ship long enough to know by now that it's not acceptable to compare those who approve of homosexual behavior to pedophiles.

It's only acceptable to compare those who disapprove of homosexual behavior to racists or slaveholders.

Please try to get it right next time. [Disappointed]

[ 28. January 2004, 20:27: Message edited by: Kyralessa ]

--------------------
In Orthodoxy, a child is considered an icon of the parents' love for each other.

I'm just glad all my other icons don't cry, crap, and spit up this much.

Posts: 1597 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the term "homophobic" is to be used at all, I think it should not be applied to the beliefs of a person or group. Temptation to use the term, however, arises when these beliefs are translated into anit-gay action, which can encompass a wide variety of forms, from the somewhat innocuous (e.g., fag jokes) to the dreadfully hate-filled (e.g., farm fence crucifixions). In the vast middle are actions involving discrimination and denial of civil rights.

I think the term "homophobic" will fall into disuse on the day GLBT people are given full civil rights and equal protection of the laws. It seems to me that some religious groups unfortunately and wrongly have been very active in delaying that day.

Greta

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kyralessa: [Overused]
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting

To use paedophilia once to illustrate a point relating to homosexuality, Enders Shadow, may be regarded as a misfortune. To do it twice looks like carelessness.

You know well enough not to do it thrice.

Alan
Purgatory host

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fish Fish
Shipmate
# 5448

- Posted      Profile for Fish Fish     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
hosting

To use paedophilia once to illustrate a point relating to homosexuality, Enders Shadow, may be regarded as a misfortune. To do it twice looks like carelessness.

You know well enough not to do it thrice.

Alan
Purgatory host

I find this reaction interesting.

As I understand it, ES is NOT equating homosexuality and paedophilia. What ES is doing is showing that the basis of an argument is flawed. There is a world of difference.

We are questioning how one determines sexual morality. The concensus on this site is that sexual morality is not decided by any absolute, or external authority. It is decided by rational thought - I decide what is my sexual morality. I have decided that homosexual sex is morally acceptable, and so that is what I will practice.

This arguement makes sense until you apply it to people of practices which society still finds unaceptable - such as paedaphilia. This is NOT to equate homosexuals with paedophiles - but to draw parallels with the processes by which moral choices are made.

So, what is to stop a paedophile deciding on their own rational grounds, since there are no abdolute moral boundaries, and no external aithorities, that they wish to express themselves sexually? If rational thought is our arbiter, then they should have as much right as anyone to do what they choose. We might claim "Their sex is non-consentual" - but if there are no absolute moral guidelines, who made that the deciding line?

Can someone answer that without simply missing the point, and decrying the argument as offensive?

[ 28. January 2004, 22:54: Message edited by: Fish Fish ]

--------------------
Thought about changing my name - but it would be a shame to lose all the credibility and good will I have on the Ship...

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As I understand it, ES is NOT equating homosexuality and paedophilia.

Oh, but he should! I know I'd just as soon screw a terrified, crying nine year old girl as a hunky, hung, hot, horny, thirty year old man.

Makes no never mind to me. Lord no. Large dogs. Sheep. Whatever.

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As I understand it, ES is NOT equating homosexuality and paedophilia. What ES is doing is showing that the basis of an argument is flawed. There is a world of difference.

We are questioning how one determines sexual morality. The concensus on this site is that sexual morality is not decided by any absolute, or external authority. It is decided by rational thought - I decide what is my sexual morality. I have decided that homosexual sex is morally acceptable, and so that is what I will practice.

This arguement makes sense until you apply it to people of practices which society still finds unaceptable - such as paedaphilia. This is NOT to equate homosexuals with paedophiles - but to draw parallels with the processes by which moral choices are made.

So, what is to stop a paedophile deciding on their own rational grounds, since there are no abdolute moral boundaries, and no external aithorities, that they wish to express themselves sexually? If rational thought is our arbiter, then they should have as much right as anyone to do what they choose. We might claim "Their sex is non-consentual" - but if there are no absolute moral guidelines, who made that the deciding line?

Can someone answer that without simply missing the point, and decrying the argument as offensive?

No Fish Fish, there's no answer. Any post with the word "homosexuality" and the word "paedophilia" - no matter how logical or reasonable - will be jumped on by the hosts because they can't stand the screaming and the flak from the large number of shipmates who advocate the acceptance of homosexual practice. It isn't about logic - it's about who screams the loudest.

I know it's crap, but that's just the way it is.

Pax,
anglicanrascal

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, to be fair to the hosts, pedaphillia analogies cause so much offense that discussions become hellish rather quickly, to say the least. Even without the hostly admonitions, other analogies would be wiser, methinks.

Methinks and agrees, however, that instantly equating views you dislike to homophobia, racism yada yada also does discussion no good and obscures real homophobia and racism. (I not saying that's happening on this thread.)

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by MarkthePunk:
...and obscures real homophobia and racism.

Mark, am I being racist when somebody cuts me off in traffic, and I look over at the driver and mutter to myself "black bitch!"

She never hears it. Is it real racism? Or just, you know, regular run-of-the-mill road rage?

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
S. N., methinks I dare not answer your question. [Help] [Biased]

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
quote:

Mark, am I being racist when somebody cuts me off in traffic, and I look over at the driver and mutter to myself "black bitch!"

She never hears it. Is it real racism? Or just, you know, regular run-of-the-mill road rage?

Or could we say that action was immoral - even though no-one felt hurt by it?
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:

Action? What action? The action of speaking? Is talk action? Do tell.
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
quote:

Action? What action? The action of speaking? Is talk action? Do tell.
Yup - the action of thinking a hateful thought about someone and putting it into speech is immoral.

IMNSHO, of course.

Pax,
ar

Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

- Posted      Profile for Kyralessa   Email Kyralessa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not only that, you're being sexist too. [Razz]

--------------------
In Orthodoxy, a child is considered an icon of the parents' love for each other.

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:

This is one good example of why there is the Dead Horse thread. Some people simply refuse to try to understand the difference between a sexual orientation and an abusive power relationship. The analogy becomes a false analogy because any sexual orientation does not work the same way as an abusive power relationship.
[brick wall]
I appears that you still do not understand that pedophiles really don't care about the gender of their victims. The important thing for a pedophile is finding a person over which they can exert control and power. That is why the vast majority of cases involve family members: access and power.

There was a time in my life I did not understand many of the concepts behind sexuality, sexual orientation, and pathologies. I am not "expert" (although I have experiences that have given me more knowledge than most lay people), but I do pay attention to those that are experts by training and work experience.

Please, please, please read, mark, and learn something about this subject before saying somthing like this again. Please.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Yup - the action of thinking a hateful thought about someone and putting it into speech is immoral.

IMNSHO, of course.

Pax,
ar

Oh, no. Not just IYNSHO. I agree with you totally.
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyralessa:
Not only that, you're being sexist too. [Razz]

No, "bitch" isn't sexist, it's gender-specific--the female equivalent of "asshole," if you will.

[Quote added due to cross-posting]

[ 28. January 2004, 23:57: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Bede, I said the same thing in one sentence. Were you afraid he wouldn't get it? [Biased]
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
pedophiles really don't care about the gender of their victims.

Really? I never knew that. I always sorta assumed there were some straight ones and some gay ones...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I always sorta assumed there were some straight ones and some gay ones...

Oh dear. Now there's a tangent.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I always sorta assumed there were some straight ones and some gay ones...

Oh dear. Now there's a tangent.
It was an idle musing, shall we just not go there?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
pedophiles really don't care about the gender of their victims.

Really? I never knew that. I always sorta assumed there were some straight ones and some gay ones...
Most people make that assumption.

Based upon what I have found out from victims and experts in the field, it is actually a matter of availability--not gender.

(Note to Sine: Now do you know why I took a few more lines to explain?)

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suggesting that homosexuality is comparable to paedophillia is like suggesting that the policies of the current American government are comparable to those of the Nazis.

Even if there is a smidgeon of common sense lurking somewhere in the depths of your argument (and I give ES credit for this. [Eek!] I hope that someone will tell me I'm selling out or something) it will be lost as people queue up to point out that homosexuals are not like paedophiles or to point out that Dubya isn't Adolf. Which is entirely true in both cases.

Motto: Don't use crap analogies. This would apply even if the hosts didn't have strong views on the subject.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Suggesting that homosexuality is comparable to paedophillia is like suggesting that the policies of the current American government are comparable to those of the Nazis.

But the current American government and the Nazis were both elected governments. So you're talking about a matter of degree, right? Apples and apples?

Which would then say that homesexuality and paedophillia are both about sex? I didn't realize that, but then I don't know a lot about paedophillia.

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People loudly complain about the hosts not allowing them to make comparisons between homosexuality and paedophilia and at the same time protest that people might use a word like 'homophobic' to describe their views? Ummm... right.

Comparing discrimination against black people with discrimination against gay people is wrong but it's OK to compare gay people and their consensual adult relationships to people who want to or do sexually abuse children?

I often ask myself what it must be like to be a gay person and to have to live with numbers of your fellow Christians coming out with stuff like this. And then if people dare to answer back and to say stuff like "You're treating us the way black people used to be treated!" they get the finger pointed at them again, and told "How dare you compare us to racists!". It's like people get punished twice for being gay: once for being gay and the second time for standing up for themselves.

I wouldn't use a strong word like 'homophobic' in regard to someone who thinks gay sex is sinful but who doesn't on the basis of that act or talk in hateful ways against gay people (Hello Mousethief! Hello Mark the Punk!). I might still debate with those persons over that position - but I think that's fair play. If I wanted to exclude another group from some post or office or benefit or say that their practices were sinful, then I would expect to be challenged on my reasons.

Sigh.

Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But ES wasn't comparing homosexuality to paedophilia. He was using paedophilia as a counter-example to a proposed general principle.

I nobody capable of reading this thread objectively?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
But ES wasn't comparing homosexuality to paedophilia. He was using paedophilia as a counter-example to a proposed general principle.

I nobody capable of reading this thread objectively?

I think as soon as the words "paedophilia" or "paedophile" appear in a posting, people's eyes glaze over or become clouded with an angry red haze and context just doesn't matter anymore.

But since you insist--*goes back and reads ES's post*--I think that to make any such analogy as he wants to make, someone would have to demonstrate that a paedophile really longs for a lifelong monogamous relationship with a single young child, and that that is what we are denying him/her.

Now whether that's true or not, do we really want to delve into such a matter just for the sake of making a point here?
The thought makes me [Projectile]

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What the anti-gay lot are completely missing is that a lot of their language usage is offensive to LGBT people. Remember, guys, it's not what you say that matters, it's what I hear....

Some of the offence comes from the historic, recent, and current oppression of LGBT people in many parts of the world. It should be obvious that while such oppression takes place (anywhere, to anyone), our use of language (anywhere, by anyone) needs to be extra-sensitive. That includes language used to say anything you think is true.

There is a parallel, more tragic, and more obvious case in talking about Jewish people. Given their recent history - and the attempted genocide against them - we (rightly) aren't allowed to ask questions like 'so what were the Jews doing to the German economy in the 1920s and 30s then?' It is simply an unaskable question - at least unaskable by anyone with an ounce of human fellow-feeling in their hearts.

Back to our current case. While gay man are being buried alive under toppled walls (Afghanistan), murdered (most places), and knifed (a street in Manchester last week), are you allowed to say the things you say and ask the things you ask that look to us like you're 'against' us (to whatever degree)?

I don't think so.

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Liam
Shipmate
# 4961

- Posted      Profile for Liam   Author's homepage   Email Liam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the key problem with using paedophilia as an analogy is not just the offence caused, it's the scientific and sociological inappropriateness of it.

Paedophiles, as I understand it, are not 'born that way'. The vast majority of paedophiles behave that way because of abuse they've suffered themselves, mental and emotional disorders, or just possibly because they're extremely nasty individuals. As has already been pointed out, it's really about power, not sex.

However, there's a lot of evidence, both anecdotal and scientific, that sexuality and gender preference, in many cases, is a natural inborn tendency at least as much as a learned or chosen behaviour. I'm sure there are peopple here who know their stuff (either from research or personal experience) and could back me up on this.

So you're comparing something that people choose to do with something that people just are. This is the reason that anti-gay opinions are likened to racism.

I'd repeat the suggestion from several people here that it's best to actually learn something about the psychology of sexuality before you go around comparing a patholoigical state with a natural sexual orientation.

Posts: 138 | From: Birmingham, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fish Fish
Shipmate
# 5448

- Posted      Profile for Fish Fish     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As one of the people who's contributed to this storm, I want assert again that in now way was I trying to equate homosexuals with paedophiles. But, because I can see that the equation is being made in many minds, then the way the question was stated has failed, and is offensive, and so I'm really sorry for the offence with that I've caused. I hope you'll forgive me.

I would still like to question how we make decisions about morality. Is it right to make my human reasoning the authority by which moral standards are set. For If I do, then can I be offended when other people decide to make moral decisions, based on their reasoning, which I find abhorrant? That's the issue I was trying to get an answer to. Perhaps there's a need for another thead to answer that one - but I don't know how to set one up!

[ 29. January 2004, 08:39: Message edited by: Fish Fish ]

--------------------
Thought about changing my name - but it would be a shame to lose all the credibility and good will I have on the Ship...

Fish Fish
Shipmate
# 5448

quote:
but I don't know how to set one up!

Oh, I see now...!

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
But the current American government and the Nazis were both elected governments. So you're talking about a matter of degree, right? Apples and apples?

Which would then say that homesexuality and paedophillia are both about sex? I didn't realize that, but then I don't know a lot about paedophillia.

Oh God, why do I feel an abyss opening under my feet.

Liberals like me think right wing governments are wrong. Traditionalists like ES think that sexual acts outside marriage are wrong. My point is that lumping Republicans and Nazis together is wholly inappropriate because whilst persons of goodwill can differ over whether Dubya is a good thing, clearly the Nazis are beyond the pale. Similarly persons of goodwill can differ over the licitness of homosexuality, whereas paedophilia is beyond the pale. Hence either comparison is unhelpful and inflammatory.

Incidentally paedophillia like other forms of rape must be about sex on some level, being a form of sexual abuse. (but that's a whole n'other thread). Homosexuality isn't a form of sexual abuse, hence my original point about crap analogies.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

Some of the offence comes from the historic, recent, and current oppression of LGBT people in many parts of the world. It should be obvious that while such oppression takes place (anywhere, to anyone), our use of language (anywhere, by anyone) needs to be extra-sensitive. That includes language used to say anything you think is true....

Back to our current case. While gay man are being buried alive under toppled walls (Afghanistan), murdered (most places), and knifed (a street in Manchester last week), are you allowed to say the things you say and ask the things you ask that look to us like you're 'against' us (to whatever degree)?

I don't think so.

Oh come on, 'you' are quite happy to post things on here that make it look like you are 'against' evangelical Christians to at least some degree.

Evangelical Christians are being falsely imprisoned (e.g. Pakistan, Turkey, Colombia), sent to labour camps (China), rejected and threatened by their families (Bradford, India, Sudan), murdered (lots of places inc. Indonesia, Colombia, southern Mexico) etc, etc. How DARE anyone say anything against them!

But I am fine with you arguing 'against us' on here: it's what I expect, and I'll argue back. I'll try not to insult you or treat you as less than a human being, of course, and I expect the same courtesy back. But if I believe something that you DO is sinful, I want to be able to say so. You can try and persuade me different, but it is the sort of thing I'd expect to be able to discuss on such a website as SoF.

I know I am not allowed to say that what you ARE is sinful: your 'orientation', and if anyone does that, they should apologise.

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

- Posted      Profile for Faithful Sheepdog   Email Faithful Sheepdog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Time to bring this thread firmly back on track, I think. Here are a few more citations of the word homophobia in relevant literature.

First from the press releases at the UK Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement website:
quote:

“…full of hate-filled homophobia…”

Is it possible to have any other kind of homophobia? No, so the terms hate and homophobia are simply reinforcing each other, possibly giving the meaning “fear expressing itself openly as hate”.
quote:

“Homophobia is a scandal and offence to the gospel…”

This one has caused me much head-scratching. Quite how you offend the gospel I don’t know. Perhaps LGCM mean something clearly at odds with the thought of Christ in the gospels, or perhaps they are referring to the intellectual and theological side of homophobia. If they had said, “homophobic attitudes and behaviour in the church is a scandal and offence to other people, both within and without the church”, it would have made much more sense.
quote:

“to work for the redemption of the churches from the sin of homophobia”

Earlier we saw how some people use homophobia in a pseudo-clinical sense, to imply some form of psychological deficiency: homophobia the illness, requiring to be cured. Here it has now become a theological offence: homophobia the sin, requiring repentance and redemption on a church-wide level.

From the opposite point of view theologically to the LCGM, we have a long article from Jonathan Sorum, an American Lutheran professor at a European seminary. He says more on the perceived sin of homophobia:
quote:
Sin is not primarily refusing to accept a new identity granted in baptism; it is refusing to accept and affirm one’s own and others’ identities as they find these identities in themselves. Refusing to accept a person’s homosexual identity is the sin of homophobia. The sin of homophobia resides primarily in the heterosexual majority, and only derivatively in homosexuals insofar as they internalize rejection by the heterosexual majority. In this view the slogan “love the sinner and hate the sin” is a particularly odious manifestation of homophobia.

Here homophobia is associated with the refusal to accept someone’s self-found identity. It can be found in homosexual people in the form of “internalized rejection”. It is also linked with words and phrases considered hateful.

The above extract comes from a long and serious article reflecting a well-informed conservative point of view. It is well worth reading for its study of the parallel between the political fight in the 1960’s for racial civil rights and the current fight for homosexual rights. Many posters on this thread have linked their understanding of homophobia to racism.

Finally, at the red-hot end of the scale, we find this passage from Allan Turner in a hard-hitting and provocative article, which also mentions the illness of homophobia and the sin of homophobia:
quote:

All that has been said positively about “gay” is repeated in a negative way about “homophobia.” If being “gay” is the condition of accepting and affirming joyfully the fact that one is a homosexual, “homophobia” means rejecting such a condition. To those who promote the value of homosexuality, “homophobia” is a most loathsome malady which must be cured. Incidentally, when they speak of “homophobia” in social terms as a form of discrimination, it is something to be eliminated from society; and when they speak of it in religious terms as a sin, it is something that must be repented of.

Here homophobia means almost the opposite of gay pride: it is the joyless, negative and sinful refusal to affirm the value of homosexuality. It is a “loathsome malady” to be cured.

By acquiring these inferences, that homophobia is both a sin and an illness, the word acquires a particular potency. By scattering these inferences over the discussion indiscriminately and imprecisely, pundits attempt to destroy the credibility of any opposition a priori. This approach is essentially illiberal: it restricts my freedom to make my own choices.

Neil

--------------------
"Random mutation/natural selection works great in folks’ imaginations, but it’s a bust in the real world." ~ Michael J. Behe

Posts: 1097 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

quote:
However, there's a lot of evidence, both anecdotal and scientific, that sexuality and gender preference, in many cases, is a natural inborn tendency at least as much as a learned or chosen behaviour. I'm sure there are peopple here who know their stuff (either from research or personal experience) and could back me up on this.

I see this statement all the time. I never see any such evidence cited though. Curious, that.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kyralessa: try
here
here (could be referring to the same research)
and here
Is that enough to make a start?

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

quote:
here
and here

Not quite. The first is just a vague news story with plenty of "could show" and "may indicate". The second I can't get to (requires registration).

As for the third, an article by those who did the study cited can be found here, and following it you can see a response by researchers who did a similar study but didn't come up with positive results.

Quite honestly it doesn't seem a very substantial study; it doesn't even make sense to select a group of families with at least two homosexual brothers and then look for common genes. Where's the control group? There are also issues with the selection criteria which the response to the article addresses, quoting the original study:

quote:
"First, the family should have exactly two gay brothers. If there were only one gay man there'd be no enrichment for the gene, and if there were more than two, we ran the risk of selecting rare and unusual genes. Second, there should be at most one lesbian in the family. This is because the family studies showed that male and female homosexuality were not commonly found together and we wanted to use typical (sic) families. Finally, we did not want families with gay fathers and gay sons, because this pattern would not be consistent with X-chromosome linkage." (italics added)
After reading that I'm inclined to note that you can find anything if you look hard enough. But at any rate the authors of the response found, even excluding all but those meeting the above criteria from their study, that the positive results were not statistically significant.

All of which is to say that for people to say that the "gay gene" has been found, or that it's been proven that homosexuality is genetically based, goes far beyond present research.

--------------------

Liam
Shipmate
# 4961

- Posted      Profile for Liam   Author's homepage   Email Liam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyralessa:
quote:
here
and here

Not quite. The first is just a vague news story with plenty of "could show" and "may indicate". The second I can't get to (requires registration).

As for the third, an article by those who did the study cited can be found here, and following it you can see a response by researchers who did a similar study but didn't come up with positive results.

All of which is to say that for people to say that the "gay gene" has been found, or that it's been proven that homosexuality is genetically based, goes far beyond present research.

However, the evidence for the counter-claims alluded to by some people on this thread, that homosexuality is a mental illness or due to childhood traumas or other developmental problems, is, of course, very strong indeed [Disappointed]
Posts: 138 | From: Birmingham, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

And also...

This appears to be the abstract of the article referenced in the Ananova article. Its suggestion is that if these genes determine what sex the brain thinks one is, independently of what genitalia one has, then that could explain a whole host of differing sexual orientations. However, it's not a conclusion; it's merely an identification of genes worth studying further.

I won't say the article isn't newsworthy; by the same token a potential cure for cancer that seems to work in lab rats is worth reporting even if there's as yet no evidence it works on humans. But just as the latter shouldn't be misread to claim that cancer has been cured, the former shouldn't be misread to claim that the "gay gene" has been found.

--------------------

Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

quote:
However, the evidence for the counter-claims alluded to by some people on this thread, that homosexuality is a mental illness or due to childhood traumas or other developmental problems, is, of course, very strong indeed [Disappointed]

I don't know if it is, not having read up on that. But they certainly ought to be under the same burden of proof. If someone in this thread suggested what you say they did, why not call them by name, link to their posts, and tell them to put up or shut up?

--------------------

Fish Fish
Shipmate
# 5448

quote:
...However, the evidence for the counter-claims alluded to by some people on this thread, that homosexuality is a mental illness or due to childhood traumas or other developmental problems, is, of course, very strong indeed [Disappointed]

I would never call homosexuality a mental illness. However, the evidence I have read, and from personal observation, would suggest (and I can only speak of male homosexuality), that very very often there is a connection between an emotionall absent / unloving / or even abusive father during formative years, and homosexual feelings. I am sure this statement will cause a storm of protest - but in my observation, its remarkable how often gay men describe their father's in these terms.

Now there may be genetic causes as well. I don't think anyone knows yet. The liklihood seems to be a combination of causes. But even if the whole cause is genetic, that in itself is not a reason to change Christian teaching on morality. We are more than genetically determined creatures. (Animals!) We are also moral creatures with choice.

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...the evidence I have read, and from personal observation, would suggest (and I can only speak of male homosexuality), that very very often there is a connection between an emotionall absent / unloving / or even abusive father during formative years, and homosexual feelings.

Callan,

I think the abyss of which you spoke has reopened under me.

Fish, I recommend that you a) not use anecdotal evidence to support your statement on the causality of homosexuality and b) if you cite "evidence" as above, you give some of it here, so that we can see it. I have seen no credible evidence, in all my years of reading articles about such things, that homosexuality is caused by indifferent or absent fathering. If this were so, large sections of the inner-cities in my country would be overrun with all the gay boys who have no fathers at all, and are being raised in many cases, by extended female-only families. The bad effects of absent poor fathers have been widely observed and commented upon, crime and teenage pregnancy, but an increase in homosexuality has not been one of the observed sequela.

In fact, oddly enough, the only place I've read of this alleged correlation is in conservative religious literature; never supported by any clinical evidence. And as we all know, correlation is not causation. Many people straight and gay, have had absent fathers and overprotective mothers. So it cannot be surprising that a certain number of gays will report this.

And, such stories would presumably not account for lesbianism, which nobody seems to care very much about anyway. It's really thinking of men engaged in anal sex that sends everyone up a tree for some reason.

Vis-a-vis pedophilia, the reason it cannot be compared in any way is that it is by definition, non-consensual, and so it is rape, which is completely unacceptable. Adult gay people are capable of consent, whatever you think of their choices.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ES further to our recent posts:

OK, please correct me if I am wrong. This quote seems to be the crux of your argument:

quote:
To dismiss the possibility of expecting a group to remain celibate is a thus a dangerous basis on which to argue that gay sex should be seen as legitimate.

In short you seem to be saying that celibacy is the only option for those who are not married? Right? Further you are saying that
quote:
“….. where society deems it wrong for sex in that context to occur, this group is banned from sexual union.”
Which does sort of beg the question is society wrong to ban all the forms of sexuality that the bible dose not even mention?

It seems to me that you are saying “You can not argue for homosexuals to be allowed to enjoy sexual union without encompassing within argument that paedophiles.” In what way am I missing the point, please (and I am sorry but I am being a bit thick and not getting it yet) explain a little further.

Bear in mind, in response to some of the points you have made so far I would add :

The church was not only against homosexual sex until recently, it was against all sex that did not lead to procreation. This attitude was born of a patriarchal, ascetic, political spirituality and encomppassed many other injustices which we are still getting rid of. Not least and in fact by a far greater degree the role of women. The church has been wrong before. You seem to be hinting that what you percieve as the loosing of the teaching of teh churhc will lead to it encompassing all forms of sexual behaviour. deviant or not. This argument (if it is what you are saying) is a very cheap shot.

That I do not equate fornication with “sex outside marriage” but with indiscriminate, unfaithful, uncaring sex. And that culturally the institution of marriage did not (as little as two hundred years ago) bear any resemblance to what we call marriage today.

That whereas I see no sin in consensual, affirming faithful sexual unions of any type, they being a aspect of God’s design. I do recognise that many sexual unions are beyond mere fornication and may stray into deeply damaging and violent. I would always include paedophiliac sexual unions in this later category.

That paedophiliac sexual unions can not be “Lifelong” as the paedophile will lose all interest in the child once it reaches a certain age, that age depending upon the nature of the perversion.

That paedophiles may (and often do) function sexually with other adults and as such are not called to be celibate.

In short, if I am reading you anything like correctly I find you analogy almost too weak to bear scrutiny. It only seems to make any sense if it is read from your conservative perspective. Knowing that many will not read it that way I am forced to ask why you posted it, knowing it was at bit difficult to understand and at worst dreadfully weak.

P

[ 29. January 2004, 15:13: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fish Fish
Shipmate
# 5448

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Fish, I recommend that you a) not use anecdotal evidence to support your statement on the causality of homosexuality and b) if you cite "evidence" as above, you give some of it here, so that we can see it. I have seen no credible evidence, in all my years of reading articles about such things, that homosexuality is caused by indifferent or absent fathering. If this were so, large sections of the inner-cities in my country would be overrun with all the gay boys who have no fathers at all, and are being raised in many cases, by extended female-only families. The bad effects of absent poor fathers have been widely observed and commented upon, crime and teenage pregnancy, but an increase in homosexuality has not been one of the observed sequela.

In fact, oddly enough, the only place I've read of this alleged correlation is in conservative religious literature; never supported by any clinical evidence. And as we all know, correlation is not causation. Many people straight and gay, have had absent fathers and overprotective mothers. So it cannot be surprising that a certain number of gays will report this.

Homosexuality: A New Christian Ethic is one book I have read which is a thorough phsycholical study of the phenomia I have described. We hear little of this sort of work as some in the gay lobby has made discussion of the causes of homosexuality (other than genetic) a taboo subject.

quote:
...which is completely unacceptable.
Who determines that any action is "completely unacceptable"? Society today says Rape and Paedophilia are completely unacceptable - but other societies don't. I've started a new thread to discuss this: How do we set our morality?

[Edited in UBB links. Fish Fish please try out the URL button at the bottom of the "Input post" or the "Edit post" screen.]

[ 31. January 2004, 00:57: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------

La Sal
Shipmate
# 4195

- Posted      Profile for La Sal   Email La Sal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fish Fish said:

quote:
We hear little of this sort of work as some in the gay lobby has made discussion of the causes of homosexuality (other than genetic) a taboo subject.
Hoo boy [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Formerly Molly Brown

Posts: 175 | From: sonoran desert | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016