homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: A Taste for Bunkum (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: A Taste for Bunkum
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ebor:
The OT Prophets and the 12 Apostles were supposed to be servants not members of an elite club. The Apostles were considered the refuse of the earth.

The fact that Bishops sometimes do not act like servants is an anathema to the Gospel, but that is a topic for another thread...

ebor

The 12 apostles were selected out of a larger group by some virtue (faith and being in the right place at the right time had a lot to do with it) and as a result of their actions- an elite group on these lines. That they were also servants doesn't mean that they weren't an elite (and remember "Minister" means servant, something Mr. Blair would do well to take note of).

One of the distinguishing factors IME of groups that are genuinely elite rather than those that simply claim to be is a tendency towards genuine modesty and that almost every member of the group wonders what they are doing there along side the others to whom they don't think they can compare (the others in the group tend to say "don't be silly- it's me that shouldn't be here").

Note: Mensa is not IMO an elite group- it just thinks it is.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No one is "moaning" about "the thinkers". All Mousethief (who I think has given up) and I have done is challenge the stated a priori assumption that higher education of all stripes benefits the entire world. So many people have said it, but when asked to provide just one little teeny shred of evidence, no one can or is willing to do it.

If someone wants to get some obscenely advanced degree, go for it. No skin off my nose (well, except for what's-his-butt above, I still want my money back). But to pretend that it's all for the good of humanity and they get nothing out of it... shyeah, as IF.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well Erin a number of us have provided evidence of the benefit of higher learning ... it's just that some don't want to focus on that. OK ... I'll give you one more .... where would cancer treatment be without elite scientists?

Dear Ebor
I think the trouble is that elite means "good at something that others are not good at" in my book so not all elites are bad. Autobailer has given a good technical discourse on that.

Dear Musician
[Overused] This is exactly what I have been laimly and imperfectly trying to get across.

To the general question as to why we do not appear to value thinkers ... I think it has been said before ... technocracies value movers and shakers who produce things.

We are not SUPPOSED to stop long enough to ask WHY we are doing all of this stuff. That's just too subversive; so just rattle something off about "elitism" and everyone feels suitably guilty so as not to ask those awkward questions. What it actually communicates is condescension. The working class ought to be just that ... working. That's real life ... not some stuck up academic in his / her ivory tower!

Chaplin warned us about that in the last century ... and we know what America thought about him then; a dangerous leftie! Uhmmm. Just because he asked those awkward questions. Damned elitist!

[ 11. January 2004, 16:27: Message edited by: Fr. Gregory ]

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
musician

Ship's grin without a cat
# 4873

- Posted      Profile for musician   Email musician   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come on Erin,
you can't seriously believe that extending the brain doesn't make for a more thinking person??

An example??

A colleague of mine, who was alwys dead against the inclusion of pupils with special needs, especially in his classes, was sent, much against his will on a postgraduate course on special needs.
He'd to produce a 4000 word essay on it.
The moans and groans were awesome!
Still, he finished it. When he had finished it, and passed the criteria, he was heard to remark on a number of occasions that "so & so was not really lazy after all, they had such & such a condition".
He'd then go on to explain the condition and actually make allowances for the pupil. Before that, he didn't. He was stuck in a way of thinking, but once it was challenged by fresh thinking, he grew.
I can only speak for my own sphere, but it must be so in others.
Actually, along that line, Psyduck's completing a PhD, off his own bat, not for more money, nor a title, but because he reads voraciously, because god's given him an enquiring mind and he wants to set himself a target by using it AMDG.

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin

But to pretend that it's all for the good of humanity and they get nothing out of it... shyeah, as IF.

I wasn't aware that a single person on this thread had said anything even close to that, tbh with you Erin.

Do you believe that Bill Gates, Richard Branson, J.P Morgan, Rockefeller and all the other super-rich capitalists you can think of had/have purely altruistic motives? Nor do I. Yet you have frequently stated your belief that their existence and the existence of capitalism in general benifits most people?

As for:

quote:
but when asked to provide just one little teeny shred of evidence, no one can or is willing to do it.

Imagining a world with no decent education anywhere and no chance to get any is all the proof I need thanks all the same.

(code)

[ 11. January 2004, 16:49: Message edited by: Papio ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musician:
Come on Erin,
you can't seriously believe that extending the brain doesn't make for a more thinking person??

Where did I say this? I never said this. What I said was that I have a hard time understanding how anyone can claim that advanced degrees in obscure fields have any substantial benefit to anyone but him/herself. Which is exactly what ken and Papio did on the first page of this thread.

quote:
Actually, along that line, Psyduck's completing a PhD, off his own bat, not for more money, nor a title, but because he reads voraciously, because god's given him an enquiring mind and he wants to set himself a target by using it AMDG.
And I'm happy for him. But by your own admission he's doing it not for altruistic reasons, rather he is doing it because he can. Bully for him, but don't pretend it makes my life any better.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Do you believe that Bill Gates, Richard Branson, J.P Morgan, Rockefeller and all the other super-rich capitalists you can think of had/have purely altruistic motives? Nor do I. Yet you have frequently stated your belief that their existence and the existence of capitalism in general benifits most people?

I know they didn't have altruistic motives. I've never said they did. I also never said that their existence benefits most people. I do think capitalism benefits most people because it allows for the widest degree of personal freedom, and IMO the freer you are, the more you benefit.

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could you give examples of degrees in "obscure fields" please Erin?

As to Psyduck's studies ... the point is that they better HIM and if they better him they better you because they better us all. It's this bloody individualism that there must be payoffs for ME that I can't and won't accept. Even a untilitarian redefinition of that as in "at least benefit SOME others" is illicit if you accept (as I do) that there is an increase in humanity's overall intellectual capital through one person's enlightenment.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin - ok, sorry if I have misunderstood some of your previous comments about capitalism then. I suppose that, if I got a Ph. D and then sat on my arse and never used it then maybe it wouldn't benefit the world.

However, if I use it to teach others, or my research helps towards a medical breakthrough, or can be used to help dispel pernicious stereotypes, or my work helps to solve a currently intractable problem of theology, or whatever, then surely my work has been of benefit to others regardless of what my motives were or are?

In most cases (perhaps in all) the "discoveries that shock the world" would not have been possible without a background of much less famous researchers and academics whose relevance to the final result may or may not be obvious.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I believe that spirituality is much, much more vibrant and alive in the US than it is in the UK,

OK, no argument so far.
quote:
.. simply because the state hasn't taken it over and turned it into yet another bureaucracy.
What!? Not sure how you can say this. The CofE wasn't nationalised like the railways, NHS, steel etc. The CofE is the only part of the wider church under royal or government influence. The majority (of all faiths) is open to the 'free market'.

There's no connection between the UK's less-than-vibrant spirituality and government beaurocracy.
quote:
I believe that forced spirituality is neither beneficial nor valid.
... I agree.
Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One thing that I do regret is that you Americans don't either have (relatively) free education, thus opening up more to the less well off or an equivalent to the Open University.
Wrong. Every state has a thriving state university and community college system that offers low-cost education -- part-time if need be -- to in-state residents, thereby offering an easy outlet for those with a love of learning.

I'm thrilled that people are able to fulfill themselves by majoring Early Medieval Whatsits. What appalls me is that people expect the factory workers, the burger flippers, the bedpan emptiers, the lettuce pickers -- people who really work for a living -- to subsidize them.

I agree that the state has an interest in seeing that its citizenry has the basic tools to exercise the rights of citizenship, e.g, they can read a newspaper, understand issues that a voter needs to grasp, and make change. Ater that, if you want an advanced degree in the humanities, great. Just don't expect expect taxpayers to buy it for you.

Posts: 2450 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Dear Presleytarian

I don't agree with nuclear weapons but my taxes pay for them. This is a stupid line of argument. It makes social capital a matter of personal consumer choice. Even the loopiest of freedom warriors do not go down this route. Oh yes, I'm sorry. Nuclear weapons DO have a real use; learning Sanskrit doesn't. Except that it says somewhere:- "I am become Death; the destroyer of worlds."

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

musician

# 4873

- Posted      Profile for musician   Email musician   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Where did I say this? I never said this.
Sorry if I've misread your posts, but I do think, Alicroc, that you're wriggling just a little!

You asked for specific examples, but when they were given, you trotted (do crocs trot?) to another angle.

What Fr G. said. Why does it have to come to a direct, quantifiable benefit to Me?
There may be many folk with whom you come in contact who are the people they are because of some "obscure degree", although you may not know it, but which shifted their centre away from their own self to give you space to be you.

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
You asked for specific examples, but when they were given, you trotted (do crocs trot?) to another angle.

What Fr G. said. Why does it have to come to a direct, quantifiable benefit to Me?
There may be many folk with whom you come in contact who are the people they are because of some "obscure degree", although you may not know it, but which shifted their centre away from their own self to give you space to be you.

I asked for examples of how post-graduate research into, say, dead languages has any benefit to me. The only examples I've heard is "well, it makes so-and-so a better thinker". Big woo. Again, how does it benefit me?

There is a continuum from 100% learning to 100% doing. When you are born naturally you start out at the 100% learning end. As you mature, you should start moving towards the 100% doing end. If, by the time you are an adult, you're not putting in AT LEAST as much as you're taking out -- and you are capable of doing so -- then you're a drain on society and your ivy-league security blanket needs to be yanked out from underneath you.

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:
It makes social capital a matter of personal consumer choice.

Uhm...well, if you're paying for it, from the taxes on what you earn, why shouldn't you have an opinion on it?

Besides, I'm familiar with graduate schools and graduate students on a once-removed basis. And Academia is a pretty twisted and unreal place that frequently seems to exist only to perpetuate itself.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The answer to how one doing research into Dead Languages helps the individual is actually it gives them an awful lot of skills that are applicable in various roles in daily life. They practise to a high art the ability of reading between the lines, the learn how to collate data from a wide and dispersed sources and use it to assess a problem and come to a conclusion. They learn to express the ideas founded on these ideas coherently. They can even end up learning if they are unlucky some statistics because some of the ways of assess authorship depend on statistics.

These are not just the skills of thinking better, though they are ceberal. They are the skills that are becoming at a higher and higher premium as we get into the information age. In other words through studying a dead language they are learning the skills of making sense of data and using data to get a result.

It is no longer a problem in the wealthy west of getting hold of information, it is of classifying information and making decisions of its value. We are swamped by too much not by too little.

That some become lowly paid secretaries is not a sign of how little it is of revelance but how little we know where the real skills are lying and who really runs organisations in the real world.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My problem, Father Gregory, isn't that your study of Sanskrit doesn't help me. My problem is that your study of Sanskrit doesn't help anybody but you.

I don't doubt that your study of Sanskrit helps to make you a lovely, well-rounded person. Just as a three-month vacation exploring the wine region of France would help make me a lovely, well-rounded person. The difference is that I'm willing to pick up the tab for my foray into self-fulfillment. You, however, expect a hand-out.

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

I am sorry that you haven't gotten hold of the sublety of my previous post Presleytarian. Do a Google search on the phrase and ask yourself what connections I was trying to make between Sankrit and nuclear war.

On a point of economics ... the capitalist assumption that society shouldn't subsidise its social capital (in this context, learning) is a political belief I have absolutely no time for.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

And I, conversely, have no time for career students who belly up to the public trough without putting in their fair share. Checkmate!

Jengie, I never said that studying a dead language didn't benefit the person studying it. What I STILL want is someone to show me how it benefits everyone else.

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Why is this SO difficult Erin? If a better acquaintance with Sanskrit in ancient religious literature helps YOU (and me and whoever) to be more aware of the opportunities and dangers of modern life; such raising of consciousness here, there and everywhere will make our culture more reflective, more questionning, more humane, more likely to protest and act when occasion warrants. My comments about the public purse to Presleytarian apply to your comments as well. I think we have hit an ideological impasse with that one. The problem here I think is that you don't really mind discussing how many angels can dance on a pin ... provided that it is privately funded. Perhaps a UK thread on top-up univeristy tuition fees?

[ 11. January 2004, 19:07: Message edited by: Fr. Gregory ]

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

quote:
Father Gregory wrote: I am sorry that you haven't gotten hold of the sublety of my previous post Presleytarian. Do a Google search on the phrase and ask yourself what connections I was trying to make between Sankrit and nuclear war.
A few points, Fr. G:

1) I've been a professor for 19 years. I'm familiar with The Bhagavad-Gita. I'm familiar with Dr. Robert Oppenheimer. The difference is that I learned about both without picking the taxpayer's pocket.

2) Sweetie, your posts are many things, but "subtle"? I think not. [Disappointed]

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

It's so difficult because you ARE NOT ANSWERING THE QUESTION. What has been asked, repeatedly, and what has been ignored, is this:

How does you (Fr Gregory) studying Sanskrit benefit (and I'll restrict this here) me (Erin) and my local community (north Florida)? I want a specific benefit that doesn't involve the "well, it's raised MY (Gregory's) consciousness" bullshit.

You can talk about whatever you want to talk about from now until the Judgment Day. I couldn't care less. I have my views, probably best left to another thread, about the merits of getting out there and being the kingdom of God, rather than sitting in the ivory tower of academia and talking about it, but if that's what you want to do, knock yourself out. I shouldn't have to pay for it when my money would go to a FAR better use if it were directed to a charity which actually gets people off the streets and puts food in their mouths.

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

OK professor, then you were being oblique perhaps in not picking up on my allusion which was actually so clear to you (but not evident to me from your reply). I must assume that you, like Erin, don't accept the contention of my example.

And so to Erin ...

"Bullshit." Well, that's the end of the debate then.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:
Well, that's the end of the debate then.

Thank God. Waiter! Check please!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
My problem, Father Gregory, isn't that your study of Sanskrit doesn't help me. My problem is that your study of Sanskrit doesn't help anybody but you.

I don't know enough about Sanskrit to really argue with you about this specific point. However, it seems to me that there is absolutely no way whatsoever that you can extend this arguement to the whole of higher education.

There is nothing sinister or immoral about society paying for a service to it's itself (esp as student and profs. are part of society) but to price intelligent people out of education because of some misguided atomistic view is both sinister and immoral.

If you really want to argue that education doesn't benifit society that you are logically forced to argue that society was as good or better during the dark ages, if not before. This view is untenable.

Perhaps Fr. Gregory is correct and we have just hit an impasse. This is certainly starting to remind me of Wood's thread about making a point.

and if education really didn't benifit anyone else than the comparison with a three month holiday would be valid, but it does, so it's not.

[Edited for UBB.]

[ 11. January 2004, 23:12: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

quote:
Fr. Gregory wrote: OK professor, then you were being oblique perhaps in not picking up on my allusion which was actually so clear to you (but not evident to me from your reply).
Apologies, Fr. Gregory. I didn't realize that it was my appointed duty to acknowledge every literary or historic reference made in your posts, regardless of relevance. My bad. Consider your head patted for the nuke comment.

quote:
Papio wrote: There is nothing sinister or immoral about society paying for a service to it's itself (esp as student and profs. are part of society) but to price intelligent people out of education because of some misguided atomistic view is both sinister and immoral.
Lovin' ya more than lunch, Papio Dear, but a few comments nonetheless:

1) True, there is nothing sinister or immoral about society paying for services. We pay for mail service, trash pick-up, and police protection, just to name a few. What we get in return are our letters delivered, our refuse disposed of, and our 911 (999) calls answered. But what service is being rendered to society by a professional student who expects the rest of us to pick up the tab for his personal indulgence in Sanskrit?

2) Nobody is talking about pricing intelligent people out of an education. It may take some elbow grease, but in the US at least, there are numerous public colleges that students can attend at a low cost. Work-study programs make it even easier to pay one's own way -- which is what I did.

3) How 'bout doing society the service of grasping the difference between "it's" and "its"? [Biased]

musician

# 4873

quote:
then you're a drain on society and your ivy-league security blanket
????

It's maybe different in the USA. In the UK, you'd only ever get state help for a first degree, and that help's diminishing rapidly.

Simultaneously, there's state help to re-train should your job go down the tubes.
Is that not in the same category??

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the UK, you'd only ever get state help for a first degree, and that help's diminishing rapidly.

I got a Research Council grant for my second degree. Though I accept such support in Arts and Humanities is virtually non-existant. Which is odd, if society values the knowledge gained from bashing atoms together in an accelerator why not the knowledge of sanskrit? Or, put it another way, the skills gained in conducting original research and presentation of findings etc are similar in both cases ... and are of value in other careers if not in continuing academic research and teaching. But then, maybe people are saying my PhD had no value to society either.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
But then, maybe people are saying my PhD had no value to society either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point of this thread was Fregory's bitching about the lack of respect accorded to history and other humanities. I wasn't aware that we'd branched out.

--------------------

Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

It seems to me, Dr. A, that the benefit of an advanced degree isn't in the various research skills it imparts. It's what one can actually do with it -- which is why if I understand your field of expertise (but it wouldn't surprise me if I didn't) I would differentiate your studies from a degree in Sanskrit. You may save lives by detecting radioactivity after a Three Mile Island-type episode or by making existing plants safer. How is a Sanskrit student making a comparable contribution?
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, you're not wrong ... it just seemed to me to have taken in other subjects of supposed dubious value to society.

[refered to Erins post ... crossed with Presleytarian]

[ 11. January 2004, 20:40: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

I'd have to go with Presleyterian on this one. The value of the contributions of a nuclear physicist and a Sanskrit expert are several orders of magnitude apart.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Presleyterian:
It seems to me, Dr. A, that the benefit of an advanced degree isn't in the various research skills it imparts. It's what one can actually do with it <snip> You may save lives by detecting radioactivity after a Three Mile Island-type episode or by making existing plants safer.

That's what I do, more or less, but that's a result of work I've done since my PhD ... very little of what I studied in my PhD has actually been all that useful. The abilities I learned in terms of assessing research papers for relevance, thinking through problems, writing scientific papers and reports to disseminate results etc have, however, been very useful. In many ways a practically focussed PhD (say in measurements of environmental radioactivity) would have given me the same skills and the knowledge I've had to pick up on the job.

Right, time to relate it to Sanskrit. Knowledge on Sanskrit is very unlikely to be of use in itself (though might do in some fields of academic research). But, someone who in studying Sanskrit has picked up key skills in assessing literature and communication (for example, plenty of other skills picked up) has gained abilities which can be employed in other fields. I'd have thought lawyers would appreciate the ability of people to digest complex documents and communicate to others what they say, if the documents I had to read and sign to buy a flat are anything to go by.

And, that's in addition to the cultural value of translations of literature from other cultures. For an example (picking up an earlier strand), would Oppenheimer have known that quote from the Bhagavad-Gita if someone hadn't translated it? And, not knowing it he wouldn't have quoted it, and that little bit of our culture would be missing.

[Edited for i.]

[ 11. January 2004, 23:16: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
I'd have to go with Presleyterian on this one. The value of the contributions of a nuclear physicist and a Sanskrit expert are several orders of magnitude apart.

They are only so far apart because our culture values science/technology above almost everything else. That, to me, seems to be a matter of mere utilitarianism.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

And why do you think that is? Could it be a sign of societal evolution, in which case we've learned to differentiate between needs and luxuries?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Is experimental investigation of many-body quantum mechanics a need or a luxury?

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Couldn't tell you, as I have no idea what that means. It looked like English. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Looked like English ... might as well have been Sanskrit [Biased] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a Scottish Education Department studentship for my PhD in Scottish history. They were rare as hen's teeth, you had to have a first class honours degree and a glowing recommendation to get one and they entitled you to your PhD supervision ( there wasn't a big tutition element in UK humanities PhDs at the time) and a small grant of 3, 000 pounds per year for three years.

As a result of doing the PhD, I was able to go straight into a public service job (aged 24) where the skills and knowledge I had gained allowed me to do the following.

(1) I was able to catalogue a previously uncatalogued collection of documents making them available to the public and attracting scholars from the UK and overseas to visit Scotland to use the collection.

(2) I was able to train many other students and members of the public in historical research and also to answer many hundreds of specialist queries from around the world. Everything from helping people trace their family history (a multi-million pound business for Scotland) to evaluating whether documents were important enough to be bought with public money.

(3) I was able within a year of starting my job to take on a major exhibition as a curator - an exhibition which was seen by large numbers of tourists - because I already had substantial skills in using and handling original documents and doing original research.

(4) I then played a major part as consultant in my specialist area for an even bigger exhibition to coincide with the millennium.

(5) Because I was acknowledged as an academic with an in-depth knowledge of my field I was asked to appear on television and radio and have used my knowledge of history and manuscripts to produce and contribute to radio and TV history programmes reaching thousands of people interested in history.

(6) I was able to help set up a group which produced the first ever complete web database of a large area of Scottish History of great interest to the public. That resource is still there and being well-used.

(7) I was able to edit a major publication on Scottish history for the millennium which sold widely - again I was drawing on the skills learned initially in my PhD

(8) I have edited a large selection of Scottish historical documents which were not previously available to the public.

(9) I have lost count of how many schools and local history societies I have lectured to on my specialist subjects. I have also lectured abroad to students and members of the public in Australia, Canada, Belgium and the United States.

(10) My PhD helped change thinking in my field and has influenced stuff ranging from what other people teach their students or write in their books to TV progammes. Only last year I used that exact same research as the basis for a programme which received an excellent public response.

Because I worked in the public sector my pay was not high. For most of my career I earned less than the current average graduate starting salary. So it was hardly a route to riches, but what it did do was allow me to start a highly-specialist public service career at an early age and to achieve a lot. I live and work in a country which takes a great interest in its history, which feels in many ways it has been deprived of knowledge about its history (Scottish history was rarely taught in schools for a long time), Scotland also earns a great deal from its heritage industry - people like me are the consultants/curators who make high quality heritage programmes and exhibitions possible.

I happen to live in a country which believed in investing in people like me who did not come from wealthy backgrounds to make it possible for us to dedicate ourselves to acquiring this sort of specialist knowledge and applying it. I know many people who weren't as lucky as me and who tried to self-fund their PhDs and work their way through and I saw many of them drop out - it took a very high toll on people.

I fail to see how funding a tiny handful of people to acquire these skills which give so much pleasure and benefit to others is some sort of crime. If somebody who flips burgers or empties bed-pans suddenly decides he or she wants to hear a programme on Scottish history - the chances are that I was a consultant on it or somebody like me. If they want to study Scottish history they will find some one like me teaching or lecturing them or end up reading our books. If they want to take the family out to visit a castle or a museum somebody like me will have been involved in its conservation or in the information available. If they want to go the whole hog in tracing their family ancestry back to the 16th or 17th century somebody like me will advise them or help them find the manuscripts or translate them for them, and if they have a child who turns out to be a gifted historian - hopefully people like me will have campaigned to make sure that that person has the chance to be properly funded to do research if they have the talent for it.

I'm sure small numbers of people in the US win scholarships which fund humanities PhDs. The only thing that's different here is that we have a very small government programme which also awards studentships in addition to having organisations like the Carnegie Fund.

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Right. Fine, then, don't tell me. [Frown]

At any rate... I think that knowledge for knowledge's sake IS a luxury. That is not a value judgment, it's a statement of fact. Food, clothing, shelter -- those are needs. Going a bit up the food chain, anything that has as its ultimate goal the physical saving of humans or humanity (be it medicine or geology or whatever kind of science will determine whether or not we ever stand a chance of getting off this rock before the sun dies) is a need. Not an immediate need in some cases, but a need nonetheless.

While the study of humanities may enrich our lives (and I don't think anyone has denied that), I can't see where we would literally die without them. Yeah, life would blow if I could never read another book or listen to another piece of music, but life will END if I don't eat or get in out of the cold or get vaccinated.

That's where I draw the distinction. To be honest, I don't think study of humanities or most subjects, for that matter, are as important as the study of medicine, biology and ecology. We currently have SO MUCH physical suffering in this world that I believe that should be society's highest and chief priority.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Right. Fine, then, don't tell me. [Frown]

So, it's now alright for me to branch out once you're interested? [Biased]

OK, a translation of "experimental investigation of many-body quantum mechanics" into something closer to English. Quantum theory produces equations with exact solutions for two bodies (say, an electron orbiting a nucleus). But as the number of bodies increases the complexity of the equations makes an exact solution impossible. As a result a variety of approximations to these many-body problems are used. To test how good these models are, and when is the best situation to use each, it's necessary to collect some experimental data from many-body systems described by quantum mechanics. One of these systems is the atomic nucleus, composed of a large number of bodies (protons and neutrons). My PhD involved collecting a very small amount of data for such purposes, though not enough to conclusively prove much.

Did this benefit society in any great way?

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

In the long run, probably. About halfway through reading the post my brain crawled out of my ear and is now whimpering in the corner of the room so I can't be sure. [Smile]

--------------------

Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fr. G: on many topics, political and social I agree with you, but not here.

Education paid for by the society as a whole, must be either a general school education including history, science etc (not too restrictive, we want rounded young adults) or at a higher level must be of some visible benefit to society. If you can make a case for anything else, please do so.

Too many people expect others to subsidise their interests. Study whatever you want at your own expense. If you choose your education wisely, it will end up paying for itself. If there is a shortage of people to fill certain necessary jobs, then taxpayers can help.

I'm with Erin and Pres.

[ 11. January 2004, 22:21: Message edited by: Corfe ]

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Reading the American (largely) contributions here has been a sobering, and to be honest, somewhat depressing experience. I am not going to characterise American cultural attitudes to education based on the remarks of a few people but my existing prejudices about technocratic cultures (anywhere) have not been challenged. For me this is even sadder in the context of a Christian ecumenical forum where I might have expected a more positive cultural evaluation of the worth of the humanities. I know that Merryn will probably say "tough s**t" but I don't give a damn about that. I suppose I'm just self indulging by telling folks how I feel about this.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

I love the humanities. I majored in the humanities. (And paid for my education myself, of course.) My point is that people don't need financial incentives in the form of a free education to study the humanities.

That's why I think Corfe is right. If there is a shortage of people in a certain field, allocate the available resources to provide financial incentives to educate people to perform those functions. In the US, for example, there a great program to pay the med school tuition of promising students who agree to devote x number of years at a reduced salary treating patients in inner city public health clinics, on Indian reservations, and at other under-served locations. I think tax dollars are better allocated to that purpose than to subsidizing arcane study in the humanities.

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." I just think we place more emphasis on the action and life that results, rather than on the "bettering" of one's own person. The string of letters that may come after someone's name only has universal meaning if some good for others has come from it. If not, they have meaning only for the one who wears them.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Oh look. Fregory is disappointed in and disapproving of American culture. Day is night, up is down, my world is in turmoil.

--------------------

phoenix_811
Shipmate
# 4662

- Posted      Profile for phoenix_811   Author's homepage   Email phoenix_811   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At any rate... I think that knowledge for knowledge's sake IS a luxury. That is not a value judgment, it's a statement of fact. Food, clothing, shelter -- those are needs. Going a bit up the food chain, anything that has as its ultimate goal the physical saving of humans or humanity (be it medicine or geology or whatever kind of science will determine whether or not we ever stand a chance of getting off this rock before the sun dies) is a need. Not an immediate need in some cases, but a need nonetheless.

While the study of humanities may enrich our lives (and I don't think anyone has denied that), I can't see where we would literally die without them. Yeah, life would blow if I could never read another book or listen to another piece of music, but life will END if I don't eat or get in out of the cold or get vaccinated.

That's where I draw the distinction. To be honest, I don't think study of humanities or most subjects, for that matter, are as important as the study of medicine, biology and ecology. We currently have SO MUCH physical suffering in this world that I believe that should be society's highest and chief priority.

I think I may have found part of the problem we are having. Erin, you have drawn the distinction in a different place from Fr. G and myself, as well as several others. The problem, for you, is that we have modern psychology to back us up (since it is a social science I am hoping that you are not discounting it as well [Smile] ).

Maslow's Hierarchy of needs states that the basics you described: food, drink, shelter, etc., are the essentials. However, once those needs are met, there becomes a need for safety, after that belongingness and love, and then self-esteem. Each of these must be met before moving on to the next level. And they are all needs. The highest need, according to Maslow's model, is the need for Transcendence.

Yes, there are a lot of people in the world that lack those basic needs, but they are not the only needy ones. Just by being participants on this forum we all demonstrate the need to know and understand. Those of us who have met the basic needs have an obligation to help those who don't (as Jesus pointed out so eloquently). However, the fact that we have these higher order inate needs indicates that in some way we are intended to meet them. The Humanities are a part of how we do that. This is where the discussion of elitism comes in. It is easy, and entirely too common, for people pursuing such higher order needs to place themselves on a pedestal and claim superiority. However, without the people working and supporting them by making sure their lower level needs are met, these people would not have leg to stand on, let alone a pedestal. Society needs both types of people in order to make sure that the needs of all people are met. In fact, society as we know it would not exist without people pursuing the higher order needs (i.e. the "Founding Fathers" of the US) as well as the more basic needs (i.e. the soldiers fighting for the more basic need of freedom (no offense to my friends across the pond)).

I would hope that knowledge is never for knowledge's sake. For me knowledge is for the sake of my relationship with God, and springing from that, my realtionship with the rest of humanity. You are right that our chief priorities must be meeting the basic physical needs of the people that lack the basics, but in order to do that, some of the higher order needs must be met. I would cite history as an example, but that's boring [Two face] .

[Edited UBB in quote for clarity]

[ 11. January 2004, 23:23: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
"Preach the gospel to the whole world, and if necessary, use words." -St. Francis of Assisi

Posts: 487 | From: the state of confusion | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please tell me what's arcane about producing books, exhibitions, training and history programmes for an eager public who take a keen interest in their country?

Heritage is a major industry in Scotland, a key part of our tourist appeal and a passion for large numbers of Scots. We fund a tiny number of people who are essential for the teaching, research and preservation of that heritage at a high standard.

We make that choice because as a country we believe that it's an important part of our culture - that it's worth taking care of our heritage and worth making sure that there will always be people who are able to take care of it and I'm glad that we have those priorities because in the course of my work I've seen how much it means to people over and over again, and I've been glad to be able to help them.

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
Please tell me what's arcane about producing books, exhibitions, training and history programmes for an eager public who take a keen interest in their country?

If this is the case, then this thread is not about you or your job. It's about Fregory demanding that society realign its priorities to what he thinks they should be. Evidently, Scottish society's priorities are already aligned, so you're not part of this and Fregory can head north.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016