homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Christian/Biblical Perspective on Oral Sex? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Christian/Biblical Perspective on Oral Sex?
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
Is this a hell thread that missed it's appointment?

Why - do you want it? Well, you shan't have it. It's our runt and we're proud of it.
Thus spake the Purg-ly Host.

Now where does a Duo Seraph fit in the Choir of Angels?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but she posted that before the dazed and confused post-New Year's Eve crowd got hold of it.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
ereiamjh
Apprentice
# 5186

- Posted      Profile for ereiamjh   Author's homepage   Email ereiamjh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Teenager walks into a pub and asks the Landlord to line him up 7 shots of Goldschlager (a cinnamon schnapps liqueur with 24k gold flakes floating in the bottle). The Landlord asks what the special occasion is.

"Just had my first blow job" the lad replies.

"Well, congratulations - allow me to make it 8" says the landlord.

"Thanks for the offer, but if 7 won't get rid of the taste, nothing will!"

--

Going to put the copy of Illumina I got for Christmas to good use - going to do a search to see if the Song of Songs has anything on the "Spit or Swallow" debate!

--------------------
Newly responsible (!) for www.suttonvillagechurch.co.uk

Posts: 20 | From: St Helens, Lancs | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You mixed up prophet you. Neil ... for God's sake get rid of those bloody snowflakes! Ouch my head!

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ereiamjh
Apprentice
# 5186

- Posted      Profile for ereiamjh   Author's homepage   Email ereiamjh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Better than dancing Santas though!

--------------------
Newly responsible (!) for www.suttonvillagechurch.co.uk

Posts: 20 | From: St Helens, Lancs | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
What is the Christian perspective on dancing with two women at the same time, outside of marriage?

As any good ol' baptist will tell you....

The two women aren't the problem, it's the dancing that could get you sent to hell!! [Devil]

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would dancing with Santa be considered as bad as dancing with two women?

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"dancing with Santa" ... sounds like a crossword clue, an anagram ... hmm, yes, that would be bad

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pleased to oblige!

Dancing Santas

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Puts a whole new spin on Santa's little helpers!!! [Eek!]

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda Rose of Sharon:
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
Is this a hell thread that missed it's appointment?

Why - do you want it? Well, you shan't have it. It's our runt and we're proud of it.
Thus spake the Purg-ly Host.

Now where does a Duo Seraph fit in the Choir of Angels?

3.75mm from the rest of them, silly.

And I'd just watched the Sydney Harbour Bridge explode in New Year's fireworks and lighting effects. Didn't dance with Santa though.

[ 01. January 2004, 22:59: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
Yes, but she posted that before the dazed and confused post-New Year's Eve crowd got hold of it.

[Roll Eyes] How long can this "dazed and confused" thing be put down to New Year's Eve? You just can't let these Purgatorians off the leash for a moment, not one fricking moment, I tell you.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thank all the nutty posters for the entertainment and all the serious ones for the discussion on-topic.

Probably we've flogged all we can out of the topic -- at least until we have the T&T pressure release.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Probably we've flogged all we can out of the topic

Poor choice of words with this group, Janine.
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

- Posted      Profile for Gremlin         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Probably we've flogged all we can out of the topic -- at least until we have the T&T pressure release.

Do we have any news on when (or even whether) this will be?

Would this be the third coming of T&T?... or is that as bad as a flogging? [Two face]

Gremlin

--------------------
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...
Oh I get it... like humour... but different.

Posts: 5221 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
depends how much you spill

And where.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:
depends how much you spill

And where.
Since I already have behaved disgracefully here, and shall have quite a bit of extra penance in Lent as a result, I may as well add to this thought :

I understand that it can be really dry by twelfth night.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be toasting 12th Night- special day that.

Things here will be as - um - liquid as possible.

Considering I don't drink.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:
Pleased to oblige!

Dancing Santas

So, Fr, Gregory--does one use a Hello Kitty Tarot Deck to channel Chastmastr?

Just wondering.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
So, Fr, Gregory--does one use a Hello Kitty Tarot Deck to channel Chastmastr?

Apparently! [Eek!] (Blinks and looks around, confused at having been summoned so)

quote:
"...I mean, when a magician in The Arabian Nights calls up a Jinn, it has to come. We had to come, just like that." ... "And now we know what it feels like for the Jinn," said Edmund with a chuckle. "Golly! It's a bit uncomfortable to know that we can be whistled for like that. It's worse than what Father says about living at the mercy of the telephone."

-- C.S. Lewis, Prince Caspian

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somebody somewhere on this thread asked whether there was anyone apart from that couple caz knew who thought oral sex was A Bad Thing. If memory serves, that famed christian bestseller The Act of Marriage by Tim and Beverly LaHaye goes on about how evil and/or life-threatening it is (I seem to remember some stats about cervical cancer...??).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

(reason number 805 why I love chatmastr so)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Caz...
Shipmate
# 3026

- Posted      Profile for Caz...   Email Caz...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eutychus:
...If memory serves, that famed christian bestseller The Act of Marriage by Tim and Beverly LaHaye goes on about how evil and/or life-threatening it is (I seem to remember some stats about cervical cancer...??).

Seriously? I'd LOVE to know the logic behind that theory, if there is one! Anyone know?

[Help]

--------------------
"What have you been reading? The Gospel according to St. Bastard?" - Eddie Izzard

Posts: 1888 | From: here to there | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loopiest theory I heard was that demons get in through the mouth, so.....

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Wouldn't Jesus's bit about the things coming out of one's mouth beiing more corrupting that the things going in apply here?

A clear direction to swallow.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caz667:
quote:
Originally posted by eutychus:
...If memory serves, that famed christian bestseller The Act of Marriage by Tim and Beverly LaHaye goes on about how evil and/or life-threatening it is (I seem to remember some stats about cervical cancer...??).

Seriously? I'd LOVE to know the logic behind that theory, if there is one! Anyone know?

[Help]

Well caz just for you I have dug out my dusty copy of this book. On pp296-7 it says:

"Some medical researchers are inclined to believeit is possible to transmit herpetic diseases through oral sex, leading in come cases to cancer of the cervix... it may well be that additional research will confirm some of these serious possibilities and expose oral sex, which some already find repugnant, as being extremely dangerous to the health".

This did give me the impression (20 years ago!) that they were rather against it. Although I now notice that a few lines up they write "we have no biblical grounds for forbidding it between two married people who mutually enjoy it".

Enter At Your Own Risk, one might say...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...leading in come cases to cancer...
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

That Freud gets everywhere!!

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Even onto my fingers?! [Paranoid] [Hot and Hormonal] [Killing me]

--------------------

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were having a conversation along these lines at work recently (yes, we don't have enough to do). All the women agreed that we thought oral sex was in a weird way more intimate than actual sex. I.e. we'd be way less likely to do it on a casual basis with somebody we didn't know very well.

Mind you, there were a few girls at my school who didn't feel that way, if rumour is to be believed.

Rat

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(to the LaHayes)

Is there some reason why mouth herpes causes cervical cancer, but genital herpes doesn't?

I think the comment saying that medical science was probably gonna catch up someday and find diseases for a practice "many"(coughwecough) find repugnant (show me the numbers on that one, bub) really says everything one needs to know about their standards of scientific research.

--------------------

Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If God didn't approve of oral sex, why did He make "things" look like tacos and hot dogs?
Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Tacos?

[ETA: Oh, vulva. Ok.]

[ 08. January 2004, 04:28: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Caz...
Shipmate
# 3026

- Posted      Profile for Caz...   Email Caz...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus - thanks for the reply. As Kelly says I think it's a pretty weak argument but it's good to know what they said....

--------------------
"What have you been reading? The Gospel according to St. Bastard?" - Eddie Izzard

Posts: 1888 | From: here to there | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'd agree with Rat's comment that it is (or can be) more intimate than normal sex... I'm not sure if that is because of the stigma that is still attached to it or what though...
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist*

Ship's Diplomat
# 4367

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the most interesting discussions I had as a chaplain was when a student asked me what the churches position on oral sex was...

We had a discussion about it and, Song of Songs aside, couldn't remember a single Bible verse that talked about this. We talked a bit about verses in Leviticus about not spilling seed on the ground, (and there was the inevitable spit versus swallow debate) but apart from more general verses about sex, could find nothing specifically helpful. What sticks in my mind about it was that we then discussed the same issue with a group of students one evening, and were slightly surprised by how willing a christian group was to talk in depth about this issue. With the CU maintaining a hard line "no-sex-before-marriage" viewpoint, it was really refreshing to find people who wanted to discuss these things, and the relevance they had to their lives, not just in a "thou shalt not..." way, but in a way that was helpful and encouraging. Sure, we do discussions like that all the time here, but not so as much in real life.

To move on to the question of why oral sex can be seen to be more intimate than penetrative sex....

I wonder if it is to do with the views we have of things in our heads. We are taught about penetrative sex in a very clinical way at school, and it has a lot more to do with the mechanical workings of it all than it has to do with sexual desire (or at least, that was how it was in my school). So I wonder if we come away thinking very much of penetrative sex as "the norm", and anything else as unusual/strange etc. Not because anything else is, but because foreplay and oral sex and countless other things are stuff you find out from reading Cosmopolitan, not something you get in year seven biology. I'm not putting this very well, but what i'm trying to get at is, that if you stop and think about what you are doing (or thinking of doing) for a moment, oral sex suddenly seems like quite a wierd thing to do. Not the feelings surrounding it, but the physical act itself, wheras previous conditioning tells us that penetrative sex is just "normal", so maybe that thought doesn't occur to us as much? Therefore, the act of oral sex with a partner can seem more intimate, because its not necessarily the "obvious" thing to do.

There is also the fact that i'd guess that many more people are happy with penetrative sex, than with oral sex. So, between a sexually active heterosexual couple, the assumption would be that both parties would be ok (at least in theory if not in practice) with penetrative sex, but that is not necessarily the case with oral sex.

And, of course, the idea of being that close to someone is very intimate.

I think all of those could play a factor (at least subconciously) in oral sex being seen as more intimate.

On a slightly trivial note - In a reletively recent issue of Cosmo, I seem to remember reading a poll that said that most men asked said they were more likely to have penetrative sex than oral sex on a one night stand, because "oral sex was more intimate and something you only want to do with a commited partner". So now you know.

I hope at least some of that made sense. Its quite late and I know what I want to say inmy head, but the words don't seem to be coming out right!

Ah well.

LMM

[ 10. January 2004, 01:01: Message edited by: Little Miss Methodist ]

--------------------
Past the point of no return,
The final threshold.
The bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn.
We've passed the point of no return.

Posts: 873 | From: Member number 1000! | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LMM, FWIW I thought your post made tons of sense! Very helpful.

quote:
Originally posted by Little Miss Methodist:
...but apart from more general verses about sex, could find nothing specifically helpful.

I'm sure somebody else has made the point elsewhere, but it seems to me that actually the Bible really doesn't have a huge amount to say about sex at all, and on one level I think it would be really helpful if it said a lot more and made things less uncertain! Though, in the context of a debate on oral sex, maybe the Bible's apparent silence is God's way of encouraging us to think for ourselves about what we are comfortable to do or not do rather than just looking for a cast-iron rule to apply. I think wider Biblical principles such as humility, respect and care for others, etc etc are there to be used in all situations, including when we're negotiating and deciding 'how far' each partner is prepared to go, and actually I think these principles are much more useful than something like Joyce Huggett's list of "Thou shalt nots".

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016