homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Dave Tomlinson- The Post Evangelical (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Dave Tomlinson- The Post Evangelical
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Spot on Dave C. There is no reason to demand that we move "on" from one stage to another, nor that we should regard ourselves as "better" than someone who is at a different 'stage' from us. Some people need to be at a particular place in their life and spirituality, and may need to stay there all their lives. And some of them may be effectively ministering to others who are in a similar place.

This is the best explanation I have seen in a long while as to why we need different types of churches or ministry.

(Given that my wiblog avatar is Elmo, I hope that is not a picture of me being flamed, Daisymay)
[Eek!]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seeker963:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
OK Seeker, now you're scaring me! This is precisely what I was thinking about in bed last night.

I know, I know, I need to get out more.

Hmm, yeah, well, if you're thinking about this stuff in bed, you should be scared, don't you think! [Big Grin]

I'd be interested in your take on it, though.

Sorry Seeker, I was a bit flippant before and didn't answer your final question. What I was pondering was the ease of use of "liberal" as an adjective to describe evangelicals (as I for example consider myself a 'liberal evangelical'), whereas "evangelical" as an adjective to describe a liberal doesn't work in quite the same way. I don't think.

But there was a thread a while ago on all these labels, so I don't think there's much point rehashing it.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, not sure if I'm supposed to answer or not. [Confused]

I think that "evangelical" to describe "liberal" can have a meaning. Insofar as evangelicalism has a particular sort of history which is mostly not associated with simple inerrantism (of whatever flavour). But, yep, whatever.

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister,
I would never harm a teddy bear [Disappointed] .

And St Elmo's fire doesn't burn hot. It flickers along the handrails and around the rigging. [Cool]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016