homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: The Christian Institute - The Tyneside Taliban? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: The Christian Institute - The Tyneside Taliban?
Paul Careau
Shipmate
# 2904

- Posted      Profile for Paul Careau         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Christian Institute seems to have become widely known as "The Tyneside Taliban" in the gay community of late - especially since it saw fit to launch a series of "pseudo-donor cards" carrying the phrase "In the event of my death I do not want my children to be adopted by homosexuals" (or words to that effect).

From a gay community perspective this was just the final straw in a long line of homphobic tirades from this organisation. It seems to have finally earned them the acolade of being referred to as the "Tyneside Taliban".

To what extent is this name justified? Why have things gone so badly wrong at the CI?

[ 02. June 2003, 23:36: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Bye for now. Paul.

Posts: 92 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Saint Osmund

Pontifex sariburiensis
# 2343

- Posted      Profile for Saint Osmund   Email Saint Osmund       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are they still up to their old games. Funny how I haven't heard much of them since the house landed on the wicked witch of the West.

Still, some persist in futility.

Cordelia x

Posts: 2965 | From: here | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Revolting organisation. I think the name is more than aptly justified.

What pisses me off more, though, is the lack of evangelical voices opposing their tactics and message, which is unremittingly negative.

The latest stunt, mentioned by Paul, will probably cost them their charitable status. So it should . Spreading hatred is hardly charitable.

Being fairly un-Hell like, this sort of group does a considerable amount to ensure that many gay people view Christianity as something they want nothing to do with, which obviously I regret. But its very difficult, when one bears the same descriptor (Christian) to explain to someone that 'we're not THAT sort of Christian'. For many, its quite enough, along with the antics of Reform et al, to conclude that they are better off without Christianity. Not necessarily God, or spirituality - but certainly Christianity as they hear it.

If the 'Christian' Institute is Christian, then atheism looks extremely attractive!

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Their website, for those who want to have a look for themselves, is here and a press release by the CI on the issue is here .

Paul, whilst personally I find such a measure tasteless, ill-informed and misguided, your comment

quote:
Why have things gone so badly wrong at the CI?

is a bit strange, as presumably (whether one agrees with them or not) they think they are doing what is right, especially given their values.

--------------------
postpostevangelical
http://www.stmellitus.org/

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

- Posted      Profile for Degs   Email Degs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Careau:
The Christian Institute seems to have become widely known as "The Tyneside Taliban" in the gay community of late - especially since it saw fit to launch a series of "pseudo-donor cards" carrying the phrase "In the event of my death I do not want my children to be adopted by homosexuals" (or words to that effect).

From a gay community perspective this was just the final straw in a long line of homphobic tirades from this organisation. It seems to have finally earned them the acolade of being referred to as the "Tyneside Taliban".

I think that's insulting to the Taliban. The CI are much worse!

The 'donor cards' are a hoot, aren't they? Do they really believe that there are that many gay people queing up to adopt? (Yes I know there are some!)

Mind you those cards are no worse that the FinF ones saying, "In case of emergency get me a MALE priest"!

quote:

To what extent is this name justified? Why have things gone so badly wrong at the CI?

I don't think they believe anything has gone wrong at all. They are backward and bigotted people, and I wouldn't waste my time engaging with them because they've shown they're not prepared to listen.

--------------------
The preest when he hath sayd and red all: he gyueth the benedyccion upon all those that be there present and then he doth tourne hym from the people retournynge thyther from whens he came.

Posts: 2388 | From: a land that I heard of once in a lullaby | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:

What pisses me off more, though, is the lack of evangelical voices opposing their tactics and message, which is unremittingly negative.

I haven't heard a solitary anglo-catholic voice in the media opposing them no doubt that pisses you off as well.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

- Posted      Profile for Xavierite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although I'm not sure about the donor card approach (sounds deliberately provocative,) what's wrong with parents not wanting their children to be adopted by homosexual couples?
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the CI is an evangelical grouping, Nightlamp : it is from that constituency where they draw their support.

Therefore, what anglo-catholics say or don't say about them is hardly relevant : if anything, it would be viewed as people who don't like them anyway making the usual comments. If there are evangelicals who really do dislike what the CI does and says, as I have been told on here that there are - why is there never any open public refutation of their stance?

In terms of orphanned children, I think that the parents concerned would hardly be in a position to make the decision. Personally, I think its 'wrong' because I think it displays prejudice against gay people , but we have already done this on another thread - I think.....I wonder if a similar card saying 'black people' would be as readily defended...

--------------------

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
In terms of orphanned children, I think that the parents concerned would hardly be in a position to make the decision. Personally, I think its 'wrong' because I think it displays prejudice against gay people , but we have already done this on another thread - I think.....I wonder if a similar card saying 'black people' would be as readily defended...

Homosexuals are not, by their nature, confined to engaging in homosexual behaviour and seeking to adopt children (both things that many people, Christian and non-Christian, have strong ethical objections to.) Blacks, on the other hand, have no control over their skin colour, so we'd be talking about an irrational dislike of blacks - which should be ignored.

If someone were advocating cards saying "In the event of my death, I do not want my children adopted by Satanists/prostitutes/swingers" I would think they were a bit odd for choosing the format, but the motivation behind it seems totally justified, and a far cry from ruling out certain racial groups.

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course it is relevant, Mike!

Else, should I only speak out against my own denomination? My own congregation? My own family? Only myself?

Cut the crap.

It is just as condemning to all Christians that Anglo-Catholics, alongside their Evangangelical bretheren, are not publically opposing this stance.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

Affirming Catholicism does oppose the stance of the CI. Which is the group I am a member of.

But to get back to the point, do you think that evangelicals should make any sort of statement of disagreement - or are most evangelicals, in your opinion, basically insympathy with the stance of the CI, if not their methods? The CI are an evangelical grouping, very clearly so - they are based at Jesmond parish Church, where the vicar is the Rev. David Holloway, a leading light in Reform.

I don't think it dos your case any good to try and say 'well, what are other groups in the Church saying?'. I think all groups in the church need to get their act together on these matters, but it is a particular set of evangelicals in the form of the CI who are speaking out. When catholics in favour of womens ordination in the CofE disagreed with that position, they didn;t keep quiet. They formed AffCath. I wonder where are, then, the voices from WITHIN evangelicalism, opposing the CI.

--------------------

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

I think your ethical dislike of gay sexuality is equally 'irrational', JL.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoo:
Of course it is relevant, Mike!

Else, should I only speak out against my own denomination? My own congregation? My own family? Only myself?

Cut the crap.

It is just as condemning to all Christians that Anglo-Catholics, alongside their Evangangelical bretheren, are not publically opposing this stance.

What Stoo said. [Not worthy!] Any condemnation needs to come from all sections of the church - not just one.

And, as has been pointed out before, any anti CI comment is unlikely to be picked up by the media as

• Many evangelicals haven't heard of either the EA or the CI and wouldn't necessarily consider them as their representatives even if they had!
  • Such condemnation wouldn't necessarily be considered news-worthy
  • I'm assuming my rant about the CI being a bunch of nutters doesn't count as it was in the pub and you didn't get to hear it personally
Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But the CI is an evangelical grouping, Nightlamp : it is from that constituency where they draw their support.

Did you know the conservative party draw support support from conservative supporters and the people who oppose them come from the labour party?
The first voice of opposition normally comes from another theological strand rather than the home one. Maybe evangelical christians don't oppose them because they don't see people from different theological strands really caring. I seem to remember reading something about splinters, eyes and planks.

Did you know I haven't heard a solitary gay activist expresses any worry about the Sudanese christains who are persecuted for their faith. Does that mean gay christains don't care about this issue that is important to me?

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

I think I'm talking more about some sort of organised reaction to the CI, who are certainly presenting themselves as representative of that voice at the moment.

I think a reponse which was evangelical led, rather than the usual complaints from gay Christians, liberals, etc. would be a lot more powerful. It would certainly get the ear of the Church press, and thats where nearly all the stories in the nationals begin!

That doesn't mean that other Christians shouldn't express their view - but if I or those like me say something, the response is, understandably ; 'well, YOU would say that, wouldn't you.....'

One more thing, though : is it the tactics, or the actual message, that evangelicals who say they dislike the CI disagree with?

--------------------

Royal Peculiar
Shipmate
# 3159

- Posted      Profile for Royal Peculiar   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Parents are, of course,perfectly at liberty to carry cards saying "In the event of my death, I do not want my children to be adopted by members of the Christian Institute."

--------------------
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Oscar Wilde

Posts: 405 | From: Barking, London | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh look, yet another thread where Merseymike can bash evangelicals with his standard brand of bigoted hate.

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

Why not try answering the quite reasonable question asked, rather than responding in your usual condescending way.
When evangelicals actually start opposing these people, then perhaps their claims not to agree with them will be taken a little more seriously.

--------------------

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I a liar, then, Mike?

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

To look at this positively, then : currently, opposition to the CI within church circles is largely organised gay Christian groups and their (usually liberal)straight sympathisers.

How would opposition from other sources best be expressed, assuming we agree about the pernicious nature of both the message and the tactics of the CI ?

--------------------

The Black Labrador
Shipmate
# 3098

- Posted      Profile for The Black Labrador   Email The Black Labrador   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Merseymike, that's the problem.

Many evangelicals dislike the CI and Reform, and consider their apparent obsession with homosexuality to be pathetic. I don't know how many members these organisations have but I doubt it's very many (they are concentrated in a few high profile churches so attract publicity, and the media generally gives a lot of profile to the gay issue).

Evangelical attitudes to homosexuality do vary considerably.

Many evangelicals (possibly a majority) hold conservative views but don't regard the subject as very important - there are far bigger issues to get excited about. On a day to day level it isn't an issue that most evangelicals and their churches focus on - I've spent the latest 13 years in evangelical churches and can't recall a single sermon on the topic.

A growing number of evangelicals in the pew don't think that all same sex relationships are wrong or are at least open to discussion on this point.

But evangelicals are rarely concerned about homosexuality in isolation - their views on this subject are normally connected with attitudes towards other sexual issues such as extra marital sex, divorce, etc, or with the whole area of Biblical authority.

If those within the church campaigning for acceptance for homosexuals took a conservative line on sexuality generally this would be more acceptable to evangelicals and a proper dialogue could then follow. However when the only people campaigning on the subject are out and out liberals it is not the instinctive response of most evangelicals to join in.

I find your comments about gay adoption somewhat distasteful. This should be primarily a matter about child welfare, not gay rights. IMHO it is ludicrous to propose gay adoptions until many other issues are resolved - not least the possibility of gay marriage/civil partnerships.

Posts: 629 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

Ian : hi. Yes, fair points. I actually think my general outlook on sexual relationships is quite conservative - faithful monogamy and all that, as anyone who knows me will testify. My gay friends think I'm very 'traditional'!

The points you make are exactly why there does need to be distictly evangelical voices making points , however.

I don't agree with you about the adoption issue, but I don't think thats the substantive topic of the thread - gays and lesbians have always been able to adopt, all the rule change does is ensure that in the event of death of one of the partners, the child will not be left without a parent. I think thats about children's welfare, not gay rights - I'm adopted, and I share the same reluctance to talk about 'rights' with regard to the responsibility of childcare.

Civil partnerships are vital, though - but, again, the initial voices raised against those proposals came from - yes, the CI!

--------------------

Paul Careau
Shipmate
# 2904

- Posted      Profile for Paul Careau         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the general impression, within the gay community anyway, is that:

1) The Christian Institute is an organisation rather like the BNP.

2) It represents a very large proportion (perhaps the majority) of Christians.

3) The fact that it has the status of a "Charity" is a joke. This is rather like the BNP applying for charitable status.

4) Its "donor card" stunt is a typical example of the hate campaign it is intent on waging against us. Their current "campaign" is for the right to discriminate against gays in employment.

5) They like to imply that their views are representative of Christianity as a whole - that they are the only Christian lobby group with an interest in public affairs (they say this on their website & in what limited dialogues they have had with representatives of the gay community).

6) Their claim to speak for Christians is reinforced by the fact that whenever gay rights issues come before parliament they are always leading the opposition AND we never see ANY high profile Christian voices in support of any of these issues/in opposition to the CI.

The impression, at present, rightly or wrongly, is that the CI hate the gay community & other Christians are too apathetic/wishy-washy to speak out against them in the national media with anything remotely like a united voice. The impression is that Christians care more about "not rocking the boat" than about bigotry and human suffering. [Devil]

--------------------
Bye for now. Paul.

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

Very much regret to say that you have it about right, Paul

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's true that the CI is seen as the Christian voice in this issues, rather than an evangelical one, as Paul suggests then that means that it is behoven on all Christians to stand up and say "Hey, wait a minute, what the heck are you doing claiming to speak for me?". Not that that excuses us evangelicals for not getting our house in order, but if non-evangelicals aren't obviously concerned about something most evangelicals consider to be of secondary importance why should we be making all the noise?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

Alan. You shouldn't be making all the noise : but currently those who are are gay Christians and their immediate sympathisers such as Richard Holloway.
I simply think that if there was a clear evangelical voice opposing the CI platform, then not only Christianity, but also evangelical Christianity may get a better press. The silence just makes me, and others too, a bit sceptical. I think that an affirming evangelical response to a hostile anti-gay campaign would be welcome. How about open support for civil partnerships - which would promote stable relationships and faithfulness ? Or support for anti-discrimination employment legislation ?
If evangelical Christians actually said - we believe in these things - then could the Christian Institute claim to speak either for Christianity or for evangelicals in the Church?

--------------------

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a matter of prosaic fact, in some respects groups like the CI actually DO represent the majority of Christians, at least in terms of the official stance of their churches. Anglicanism, Roman Catholicism and Pentecostalism (to take three large and widespread denominations/movements) all officially teach that homosexual activity is wrong, although doubtless all denominations contain people who disagree with the official teaching. Now, I know this is a separate issue to gay couples adopting, but obviously they're connected.

Of course people may violently disagree with such a stance and it may be a source of deep sadness to you, but it is no good seeing those who oppose gay's adopting as being a lunatic fringe. As I said above, I find this idea tasteless and personally I don't have a problem with committed gay couples adopting children, but many Christians (evangelical and non-ev, as JL's posts here demonstrate) would agree with their motives, if not their methods.

So, Mike and Paul, maybe, just maybe, the reason evangelicals don't speak out is because they agree, at least in part.

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sean D said
quote:
As I said above, I find this idea tasteless and personally I don't have a problem with committed gay couples adopting children, but many Christians (evangelical and non-ev, as JL's posts here demonstrate) would agree with their motives, if not their methods.
As a group, they have a right to state their views, whether we agree or dont agree is a different matter. In the same way we have a right to publically say that we disagee with them. However I agree with Sean, and others, that have said that this move is tasteless (Someone in reports i have read have suggested that people carry a doner card saying
'In the event of my death, I do not want my children to be adopted by a Christian Institute member.'

Anyway, in the Observer the other week there is an article saying that the CI's charity status is being dropped.

Is that fair on them?

tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

- Posted      Profile for Degs   Email Degs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean D:
As a matter of prosaic fact, in some respects groups like the CI actually DO represent the majority of Christians, at least in terms of the official stance of their churches. Anglicanism, Roman Catholicism and Pentecostalism (to take three large and widespread denominations/movements) all officially teach that homosexual activity is wrong..

As I recall (sorry copy not to hand)'Issues In Human Sexuality' stated that committed same-sex relationships may be acceptable for the laity, but not for the clergy. So the 'official' view of the CofE is that homosexual activity is not always wrong.

The CI does not therefore speak for the House of Bishops.

--------------------
The preest when he hath sayd and red all: he gyueth the benedyccion upon all those that be there present and then he doth tourne hym from the people retournynge thyther from whens he came.

Posts: 2388 | From: a land that I heard of once in a lullaby | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just been round their website.

[Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile]

I don't know where to start. Their obsession with homosexuality? The way they always describe their position as the "Christian" one? Evolution is a faith position? Their glib assumption that government should legislate personal morality?

What a load of cobblers all in one website....

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

Sean : I happen to agree with your last sentence. But in saying this, I have often been told that this is in fact not the case, and that the CI do not reflect the bulk of evangelical viewpoints.
If what you say is right, and that is in fact their view, then others should hardly be surprised that those who will be personally affected by their opinions are not prepared to sit back and take it, and will speak out against that viewpoint.
I'd still like to hear some thoughts about the impact of positive , affirming views by evangelicals, and whether they won't happen because, as Sean says, most actually agree with the CI.

--------------------

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

quote:
Originally posted by He Who Must Not Be Named:
As I recall (sorry copy not to hand)'Issues In Human Sexuality' stated that committed same-sex relationships may be acceptable for the laity, but not for the clergy. So the 'official' view of the CofE is that homosexual activity is not always wrong.

I stand corrected.

quote:
The CI does not therefore speak for the House of Bishops.
Obviously. I just object to the idea that this is a lunatic fringe when many Christians probably agree with their motives, if not their methods, as I said.

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

Sorry to doublepost, I wrote my reply to Degs* as Mike wrote his to me...

quote:
Sean : I happen to agree with your last sentence. But in saying this, I have often been told that this is in fact not the case, and that the CI do not reflect the bulk of evangelical viewpoints.

MM, please do not allow yourself to be confused. I will enlighten you.

What you have been told is that not all evangelicals take such a stance, so that when you generalise about them as if they do and take swipe after vitriolic swipe at evangelicals just because they are evangelicals and for no other reason, people quite rightly get annoyed.

quote:
If what you say is right, and that is in fact their view, then others should hardly be surprised that those who will be personally affected by their opinions are not prepared to sit back and take it, and will speak out against that viewpoint.
Sure. But a) this is not the same as crusading against evangelicals, which is what you do, and b) as has been observed before, the ship is hardly the place to do it.

* Degs? Who's he?

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

quote:
Originally posted by Sean D:
* Degs? Who's he?

Was my previous incarnation on the ship. I'm being a very good boy and including a reference (albeit oblique) to my former name so that all the nice people on the 'Changing names' thread in The Styx won't shout at me any more. [Wink]

--------------------

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

No, don't worry. I was being sarcastic.

Thanks for the info, btw. Forgot to say that last time, but triple posting would probably earn me a healthy smackdown.

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

No, Sean - no crusade, but profound and considerable disagreement - particularly on this matter, but also more broadly.

And if you are saying that the broad view of evangelicals ia an anti-gay one, then I think I have got it right all along.

--------------------

Theophilus
Shipmate
# 2311

- Posted      Profile for Theophilus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Must Not Be Named:

Not really. This is an excerpt from 'Issues In Human Sexuality' (1991):

'...homophile orientation and its expression in sexual activity do not constitute a parallel and alternative form of human sexuality as complete within the terms of the created order as the heterosexual. The convergence of Scripture, tradition and reasoned reflection on experience, even including the newly sympathetic and perceptive thinking of our own day, make it impossible for the Church to come with integrity to any other conclusion.'

The statement did say that clergy are called to a higher standard than the laity. That doesn't really equate to saying that homosexuality is acceptable for the laity.

For an overview of C of E teaching on sexuality, go to this site: www.cofe.anglican.org/view/sexuality.html

--------------------
If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort, you will not get either comfort or truth, only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair. C.S. Lewis

Posts: 57 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Theophilus - I think you are correct in your interpretation of the report. The report as a whole is NOT supportive of homosexual relationships. Which would seem to put the CofE on roughly the same side as the CI.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul Careau
Shipmate
# 2904

Schroedinger’s Cat/Snoopy made a very significant comment in my view…

quote:
“The report as a whole is NOT supportive of homosexual relationships. Which would seem to put the CofE on roughly the same side as the CI.”
And what “side” is that I wonder? That is the problem – “side” – implying confrontation – implying “enemy”.

This view – the view that the gay community and Christians are enemies – is not without its advocates within the gay community itself. I think some people would benefit from knowing a little more of the “other side” lest they get the misleading impression that MM & I represent the “extreme” element of the gay community. Believe me, we are the moderates. This is how the “other side” (in this case GALHA) has chosen to react against the likes of the Christian Institute:

quote:
“History attests that the Church has been the foremost persecutor of gays for almost two thousand years. During the Dark Ages, they were punished, if they were lucky, by excommunication, denial of last rites and burial in unsanctified ground. But many, not so lucky, were submitted to torture, mutilation and death by burning. The very term "faggot" refers to the bundles of sticks over which known and suspected gays were burned alive by Church authorities. Such barbaric treatment is comparable to that perpetrated by the Nazis who incarcerated gays in their concentration camps where they were brutalised and subjected to medical experiments.

All this is of course in the past and best forgotten as far as the Christian Churches are concerned (as is their persecution of the Jews, "witches" and other "heretics") but that does not mean that gay people - whether Christian or not - no longer suffer at their hands. The feelings of guilt experienced by some can be so corrosive that they lead to suicide.

At its General Synod in 1987, the Church of England voted overwhelmingly to condemn homosexual acts and called on gays to repent, and this remains its official stance. After a debate on homosexuality at the 1998 Lambeth Conference of Anglican bishops worldwide, the overwhelming majority of delegates (including the Archbishop of Canterbury) voted for a motion that rejected homosexual practice as incompatible with the Bible and rejected same-sex unions. After the debate the Archbishop of Canterbury commented: "I see no room in scripture for any sexual activity outside matrimony for husband and wife. I believe this says what we have all held Anglican morality stands for."

The Roman Catholic Church has always taken a hostile stance on homosexuality. A Vatican document issued in 1986 states that by choosing a partner of the same sex "homosexuals are annulling the rich symbolism and meaning of the Creator's designs". Another document issued in 1997 described "the particular inclination of the homosexual person" as "a more or less intrinsically moral evil". The Roman Catholic 1994 Catechism (summary of doctrine) announces to the world: "Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, Tradition has always declared that homosexual acts are 'intrinsically disordered'."

The Salvation Army is equally convinced by Biblical pronouncements, declaring in its most recent policy statement: "Same-sex relationships which are genitally expressed are unacceptable according to the teaching of Scripture and attempts to establish or promote such relationships as viable alternatives to heterosexually-based family life do not conform to God's will for society."
Then there are those evangelical Christian groups (the Courage Trust, Exodus, the True Freedom Trust, etc.) which seek to "cure" or "heal" homosexuals by persuading them to "follow Jesus" - a futile exercise which can cause immense psychological harm.

Given this appalling record - past and present - it is very hard to understand why even the most masochistic of lesbians and gay men can happily adhere to the Christian religion and its institutions, let alone seek moral guidance from them. However, many must find it extremely difficult - indeed painful - to make an honest appraisal. They have often been immersed in the dogma and teachings of organised religion from earliest childhood.”

At last year’s Gay Pride in London GALHA interviewed 348 gay men & lesbians & asked them how the campaigning of organisations like the Christian Institute had influenced their attitudes to organised religion (if at all). 61% stated it had made them more negative about religion (34% said that it had done nothing to change their opinions). Overall 6% said that the campaigning of such organisations had made them come to “hate god”.

And that ultimately is what the Christian Institute along with organisations such as Reform has achieved – it has successfully galvanised the creation of “sides”.

--------------------
Bye for now. Paul.

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So presumably JL, If Ian Paisley decided to launch a campaign for people to carry donor cards saying 'In the event of my death I do not want my children to be adopted by papists' that would be an example of noble parental choice and not bigotry?

After all many people sincerely believe that Catholicism is wrong according to the Bible and Catholicism is a 'choice', so therefore presumably you deserve all you get from them?

Similarly Sean, I'd say you should rethink your attitude to these people.

Many many Christians don't approve of one aspect or another of Catholicism, for example, but only a lunatic fringe who are genuine bigots, who regard being Catholic as about the worst thing it is possible to be, would pull anything like the 'donor card' stunt.

You do yourself a great disservice by trying to defend these people as being somehow mainstream. They are to mainstream Christianity what the Drumcree Orange Lodge is to ecumenism. There may be many Christians who due to their upbringing have doubts about homosexual adoption, but very few are possessed of the spirit of hate which seems to animate these people.

That in itself marks them out as 'lunatic fringe'. Even people who happen to otherwise share some doctrinal positions with the Christian Insitute should disown them for that reason.

I'm a Presbyterian, presumably I share some doctrinal beliefs with some of the nastier Sectarian elements in certain parts of Scotland, but you certainly wouldn't find me attempting to tell Catholics not to resent these people for the bigots they are. Even if you unavoidably share some views with people like the CI, I think you should think twice before siding with these groups against the people they attempt to prey upon.

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

Louise: thank you for your post. I think you may have changed my mind (shock!) on the mainstream point, also something that occurred to me earlier was that mainstream is as mainstream does (as it were) so any group that thinks this kind of activity is legit is clearly out of line as it is a nasty stunt rather than an honest attempt to influence legislation (as is their democratic right). I therefore retract some of my earlier comments.

However, you do run the risk of misrepresenting me a little!

quote:
Even if you unavoidably share some views with people like the CI,
I never actually said I did. In fact, I said:

quote:
personally I don't have a problem with committed gay couples adopting children
Also, you said

quote:
There may be many Christians who due to their upbringing have doubts about homosexual adoption,
Sorry, but surely you can't be saying that upbringing can be the only reason someone would have doubts about gay people adopting children. (Sorry if this is an entirely throwaway remark and I'm putting words into your mouth.) It seems to me that there are many Christians who believe homosexual activity is wrong and that homosexuals shouldn't adopt children but have come to such a belief as a careful, loving and intelligent decision (whether you or I agree with them or not). I know many such people.

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Rex Monday

None but a blockhead
# 2569

- Posted      Profile for Rex Monday   Email Rex Monday   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If these people had a card that said "I do not want my children adopted by a couple with an adulterer, a practising homosexual couple, an unmarried couple... [etc -- no shortage of sinful lifestyles available]" then at least they'd be consistent.

But no, it's homosexuality that gets their goat. Why is this?

R

--------------------
I am largely against organised religion, which is why I am so fond of the C of E.

Posts: 514 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point, Rex.

In fact, why is it that homosexuality is even an issue at all? Why is it that something mentioned in the Bible only seven times and arguably prohibited (and personally, I don't think there's much of a case for the prohibition) only about four times has become the acid test of either being a sound or a loving Christian, depending on which side of the fence on which you sit?

Misuse of cash is CLEARLY prohibited by Scripture clearly over two hundred times. Being beastly to asylum seekers is prohibited by Scripture dozens of times. Why is it, then, that a group like the CI, which claims to hold an inerrantist view of Scripture does not spend a proportionally larger amount of time camapigning against globalisation, the bad treatment of asylum seekers and so on?

Simply, ironically, it's because they are doing to the Scripture they purport to hold so dear precisely what they accuse sensible, decent Christians like ++Rowan of doing - holding an interpretation that depends more upon their "worldly opinions" than on what the Bible actually says (try and tell them that, though).

As a Christian, and as an Evangelical, I abhor the tactics of hate produced by organisations such as the CI.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
So presumably JL, If Ian Paisley decided to launch a campaign for people to carry donor cards saying 'In the event of my death I do not want my children to be adopted by papists' that would be an example of noble parental choice and not bigotry?

It wouldn't be bigotry. Paisley talks a load of crap, but a lot of sincere Protestants think Catholicism is evil, and for one of them to not want their child adopted by people within what is for them a demonic system is totally understandable.

quote:
After all many people sincerely believe that Catholicism is wrong according to the Bible and Catholicism is a 'choice', so therefore presumably you deserve all you get from them?
No, we don't deserve it, because they're wrong. However, they have the right - duty, even - to bring up their children in line with their consciences. I hope God will enlighten them as to the error of their ways, but I wouldn't want government to ignore the wishes of the dead parents just because of some smug, superior attitude born of a valueless, frequently brainless secularism.

I did point out that I thought the donor card scheme sounded pretty dodgy, but I don't think the idea of parents wanting to set bounds on who can adopt them - especially on such crucial questions as religion and morality - is as outrageous as you clearly do.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well first off, responsible parents set arrange for who would take care of their children in case of their deaths in advance. so the whole idea of the cards is either flaunting that your an irresponsible fool who hasn't bothered to take care of that matter beforehand, or else nothing more than an obnoxious bit of stuntism.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must *cough* agree with Nicole here.

Of course, while it certainly is the right of a family to pull a stunt like this... that doesn't make it right, does it?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I ever heard of the CI before today

They certainly think that the evangelical "establishment" oppose them:

From the Christian Institute's own website:

quote:

The Southwark service went ahead and over the weekend of the 16th of November the press fascination continued. The LGCM hailed the service as a step towards "equality" while orthodox Christians lamented such extravagant official endorsement of gay sex. Bishop John Gladwin, an erstwhile evangelical, preached at the event. During his sermon, in an attempt, perhaps, to assuage his critics, he stated that cohabitation and same-sex "marriage" were less than the Christian ideal. However, his very presence and his otherwise affirming message pleased the congregation and he received prolonged applause as he returned to his seat.
At every stage of the debate Archbishop Carey and the hierarchy in general, together with the Church of England press office, seemed to be legitimising the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement and, if anything, opposing their critics. The final insult came on the evening of 24 November when Dr Carey addressed Great St Mary's Church, Cambridge. Mentioning the Southwark debacle as an aside, he referred to "bullying, loud mouthed controversialists" who "make a mockery of our own faith". While he talked of "pressure groups on both sides" (7), it seemed clear to all his listeners that he had aimed his comments directly at opponents to the service. Replies are no doubt winging their way to Lambeth Palace as this article goes to print.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesuitical Lad:
It wouldn't be bigotry. Paisley talks a load of crap, but a lot of sincere Protestants think Catholicism is evil, and for one of them to not want their child adopted by people within what is for them a demonic system is totally understandable.

It's understandable, sure, as a historian I could give you a good account of anti-catholic prejudice in Scotland and Ulster so that it would be comprehensible, but that wouldn't make it right. It is bigotry and it does destroy other people's lives - so does anti-gay prejudice. I see nothing to choose between the two.

Personally I'm just sad that people still want to use Christianity to legitimise treating others as lesser beings than themselves.

Sorry if I got you slightly wrong Sean! [Smile]

No, to be less sloppy, of course I believe that people can hold these views in good conscience because they give a high view to scripture and interpret certain bibilcal passges in a different way to me.

Loving and knowing my GLBT friends as I do, I just really really wish people would realise that those anti-gay views should go the same way as 'biblical' support for slavery. That's just my opinion on it!

L

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

Ken : the CI's main institutional links are with Reform and what is I think best describes as the 'far right' evangelical wing of the Church of England, although, they have supporters in other groups as well. Jesmond Parish Church are particularly important in providing them with a base,and they have some wealthy supporters who finance them, who have quite a history of right wing political activity. Colin Hart, for example, was an opponent of the miners strike in the 1980's, and was active in funding campaigns against gays and lesbians in that same era, for the Conservative party.

I still wish that there was a public, organised, evangelical voice opposing their perspective. I think that it might even encourage others who attend evangelical churches, but themselves feel quite comfortable with gay people, to speak their views, which I know from friends isn't particularly easy in some church environments

--------------------

Canucklehead
Shipmate
# 1595

- Posted      Profile for Canucklehead   Author's homepage   Email Canucklehead   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of the Christian Institute before today but I sure would like to get my hands on one of those cards, anybody know where to get them?
Posts: 135 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016