homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » MW: Addressing a female Anglican priest (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW: Addressing a female Anglican priest
Panis Angelicus
Shipmate
# 3795

- Posted      Profile for Panis Angelicus   Email Panis Angelicus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
In the United States, there is no divide between Anglo-Catholics and "the rest" regarding addressing a priest as father. Here, for example is a local full-fledged evangelical parish that has no qualms about adddressing their rector as "Father".
http://stjamesnewportbeach.org/

Dear Greta,

I think this may be true in some evangelical congregations, but it has not in my experience been true across the board. Western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh Diocese) has its fair share of Low Church clergymen who would still prefer to be called (and are called) "Mr." This has also been true within my hearing in parishes throughout Maryland and Virginia.

--------------------
"Was there any difficulty in the Bishop's putting his hand in your bosom, arising from the fashion of your dress?"--Trial of Bishop Onderdonk of New York, 1844, p. 62.

Posts: 406 | From: New York City | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Panis,

I should have stated that the divide would be among "the rest", and I think it tends to vary by diocese. In the (not particularly high) diocese of Los Angeles, all four evangelical parishes address their priests as "Father", as do countless m.o.t.r. parishes. At the other extreme, I have the impression that in Virginia, use of the term "Father" would be considered hopeless Papalism. In Fond du Lac, on the other hand, failure to use the term would be a sure sign of unsoundness.

Greta

Greta

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016