homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: NUKE THE UNBORN GAY WHALES FOR JESUS (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: NUKE THE UNBORN GAY WHALES FOR JESUS
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could have a Haeckel fish that changes over time, going from fish to amphibian to reptile to mammal.

What about Ship-related bumper stickers?

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But Haeckel was an evil proto-Nazi horrid person!

And he totally misunderstood Darwin and screwed up German evolutionary biology for 2 generations. (Though Ernst Mayr & Willi Hennig put them back on the path of righteousness)

Bloody good artist though.

This is the first thread I ever started on the Ship to get to 100 posts!

Does that say something about the nature of the Universe.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laudate Dominum
Shipmate
# 3104

- Posted      Profile for Laudate Dominum   Author's homepage   Email Laudate Dominum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About the Hokey Pokey question:

I have absolutely no sources, this is just what I was told. "Hokey Pokey" derives from "hocus pocus" and we all know that comes from people who made fun of the Latin words of the consecration at Mass. In which case, at least in the view of Roman Catholics, the "Hokey Pokey" actually is what it's all about. But I could be wrong. [Smile]

At any rate, I've absolutely no idea why ya'll seem to think the word is "cokey."

--------------------
"They think us barbarians because we cling to the past. We think them barbarians because they do not cling to the past." --G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 518 | From: Lala Land | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seen this morning: The road to Hell is paved with Liberals.

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Willyburger:
Seen this morning: The road to Hell is paved with Liberals.

Ah, but that means that the liberals won't be *going* to hell--only those conservatives, running roughshod over them.

[Smile] [Two face]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laudate Dominum:
About the Hokey Pokey question:

I have absolutely no sources, this is just what I was told. "Hokey Pokey" derives from "hocus pocus" and we all know that comes from people who made fun of the Latin words of the consecration at Mass. In which case, at least in the view of Roman Catholics, the "Hokey Pokey" actually is what it's all about. But I could be wrong. [Smile]

At any rate, I've absolutely no idea why ya'll seem to think the word is "cokey."

I have no sources either, but on the modern rule of thumb that randomly accquired Internet sites are the source of all truth, I quote a small extract from:

take our word for it

quote:

The two are indeed thought to be related, it being suggested that they both derive from hocus pocus (see Issue 61 for a discussion of the latter).  You, and many others, may be surprised to find that hokey pokey, spelled hoky poky also, did not originally apply to a dance.  Instead, it meant "trickery, double dealing" when it first appeared in writing in the middle of the 19th century.  Hanky panky meant the same thing when it made its appearance at about the same time.  However, in the U.S. it was taken a step further, to mean "fooling around (sexually), especially in infidelity", an extension of the "trickery" notion.

While most etymologists seem to agree that hokey pokey and hanky panky derive from hocus pocus, slang expert Eric Partridge seemed to like the explanation that hanky panky derives from handkerchief, which magicians often used in their acts of prestidigitation.

The Hokey Pokey dance originated in England where it was (and still is) called the Hokey Cokey.  It was appropriated by an American G. I. who turned it into a musical hit when he returned to the U. S.  It is still heard, especially in roller skating rinks, today.

Does the US version go

"Ra! Ra! Ra!"

at the end?

[Deleted your duplicity.]

[ 27. May 2003, 13:43: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hoc est (enim) corpus (meum).

or so they say.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016