homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: She's only nine years old! (abortion thread) (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: She's only nine years old! (abortion thread)
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

- Posted      Profile for Xavierite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It'll take more than ad hominem efforts like that, certainly.
mimsey
Shipmate
# 3757

- Posted      Profile for mimsey   Author's homepage   Email mimsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Louise said:
quote:
Um if you separate a baby with no functioning heart and lungs from the baby whose heart and lungs it is dependent on (and whose heart and lungs its needs were ultimately causing to fail) then it dies. You can also call that killing it.
Quite. And if you leave a baby to die while in possession of medical help that could save it, you could also call that killing it.

Which is why I made my earlier comment about euthanasia, JL. I assume you would let nature take its course rather than keeping someone alive for as long as possible. Otherwise you would have conflicting views, I think.

Personally I don't think there is a lot of difference between sitting back and watching a baby die, and killing it. If a mother left her baby in a bin, for example, and it died, I reckon that should count as murder. So the siamese twins case, put bluntly, was a choice between two murders. Except that one of the "murders" killed a child that would have died anyway, while the other killed a child that could have lived.

--------------------
Certitude! Certitude! Sentiment! Joie! Paix!

Posts: 217 | From: Deepest darkest Suffolk | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tiffer
Shipmate
# 3073

- Posted      Profile for Tiffer   Author's homepage   Email Tiffer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello all - it's me again!

I don't really have much of an opinion on this, I used to be all for abortion but since I became a Christian the Holy Spirit must have been at work in me, because I have certainly become more pro-life without much outside interference or persuasion at all. But there is no concreteness as of yet.

I would like so say that I admire JL for taking his views to extremes, I think all too often we decide that we know something but fold the moment things start becoming slightly confusing. I dont think he is correct however, and I have noticed a distinct lack of God in his arguments.

I wish I was wise enough to know what the bible says, I think somewhere it says that "all life is sacred", and that means all life, so the decision to end it should never be taken lightly (pretty obvious really) but to be crude about it; if one course of action kills one and saves the other and another course kills both, I think that considering the sacredness of life the one that preserves it most will glorify God, and I dont think that God is too far away when the surgeons do a successful job.

But then again I put knowing Christ above living, so that would anul me from this debate anyhow!

Tiffer xx

--------------------
"All the Fat belongs to the Lord"
-Leviticus 3:16b

Posts: 411 | From: England (all over) | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

Mimsey,

My opposition is to the deliberate termination of innocent life, not the use of medical procedures. There is no contradiction involved.

Tiffer,

I don't tend to explicitly bring God into discussions on abortion, because a lot of the time I'm talking to people who don't believe in God - and even if they won't accept Him, I think they can be brought to accept the wrongness of abortion. On the Ship one is dealing with a vast range of views which fall under the Christian umbrella, including many which do not consider Scripture or my own Church's teaching authoritative. If I remember rightly, you're an evangelical - in that case, you may find this Scriptural summary, from the people at Priests For Life, interesting/useful.

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if anyone here has been swayed by JL's contribution ? In my case, it has simply made me mopre sceptical than before about the motives and thinking of the anti-abortion and the rest of the so called 'pro-life' (enforced imposition of their morals on those who do not agree with them)movement.

The 'life at all costs' mentality was fine when medical science was at a stage when the vast majority of people would die anyway, if treated. It now no longer makes sense, and that is why change and situational ethics are the only sort which make any logical sense.

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

Merseymike,

You talk about enforcing morals as if it's a bad thing. There are some morals I want to see enforced - as I'm sure you do too. Moral prohibitions on rape, for instance, or on genocide. Enforcing moral prohibitions isn't necessarily a bad thing. What we need to decide is whether or not the killing of the unborn is immoral. Those who think it isn't enforce their judgement on the unborn just as much as pro-life societies enforce their judgement on those who wish to kill certain unborn children by preventing them from doing so.

Please also note that I have been gracious enough to use the label pro-choice for those who support access to abortion, without recourse to derogatory speech marks or alternatives which I would personally consider to be more accurate descriptions of those who subscribe to such beliefs.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, JL, I think "pro-choice" is as crappily simplistic and inapt a euphemism as "pro-life", so you don't have to go to any trouble on my behalf. Pro-what-choice? Pro-whose-life?

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:
I wonder if anyone here has been swayed by JL's contribution ? In my case, it has simply made me mopre sceptical than before about the motives and thinking of the anti-abortion and the rest of the so called 'pro-life' (enforced imposition of their morals on those who do not agree with them)movement.

The other question is whether anyone has been swayed by your contribution.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not trying to sway anyone, Moo. Frankly, I'm far too appalled by what I have seen written here to try and offer reasoned explanations for why a nine year old child who has been raped should not be forced to go through a pregnancy.

I think its blatantly obvious, and any philosophy wish places those not born on the same moral footing as those who are 9 years old is, to me , simply morally bankrupt.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesuitical Lad:
There are some morals I want to see enforced - as I'm sure you do too. Moral prohibitions on rape, for instance, or on genocide. Enforcing moral prohibitions isn't necessarily a bad thing.

So how would you enforce a prohibition on rape? What would you do to the rapist who attacked this child in the first place?

And would you have preferred him to use a condom?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Please also note that I have been gracious enough to use the label pro-choice for those who support access to abortion, without recourse to derogatory speech marks or alternatives which I would personally consider to be more accurate descriptions of those who subscribe to such beliefs.

You have been gracious?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mimsey
Shipmate
# 3757

- Posted      Profile for mimsey   Author's homepage   Email mimsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm quite glad we've had both Merseymike and JL on this thread. They've kind of outlined the two absurd extremes that I would otherwise have thought impossible, and kept the rest of us balancing around in the middle.

I'm bailing out of this thread now, not because I've run out of things to say, but because the incidents we were talking about have both passed, and because no-one is going to persuade anyone else to change their views about either; and also because it's just too depressing.

Posts: 217 | From: Deepest darkest Suffolk | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
So how would you enforce a prohibition on rape?

Effective punishment for those who commit such abhorrent crimes, and an education programme which teaches young males to view women as persons of integrity who command respect, not the next source of sexual gratification.

quote:
What would you do to the rapist who attacked this child in the first place?
In what context? And do you mean if I was acting according to my reason, or my instincts?

quote:
And would you have preferred him to use a condom?
With all due respect, what a stupid question. That's like asking an environmentalist "if I were to club you to death, would you rather I did it with a piece of mahogany or a steel bar"?

quote:
You have been gracious?
I said "gracious enough to...", not that I have been generally gracious. I am well aware that several of my posts on this thread have been sinful, and I apologise for them.

I do not apologise for the beliefs behind them, however.

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

I wouldn't have said my expressed views were very different from the majority of people who had an opinion, Mimsey.

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:

The 'life at all costs' mentality was fine when medical science was at a stage when the vast majority of people would die anyway, if treated. It now no longer makes sense, and that is why change and situational ethics are the only sort which make any logical sense.

Do not governments enforce morals on their citizens in the form of laws?

The State is in the business of enforcing morality: Speed limits, contract law, child welfare, fraud investigation, et al. Voters get to choose leaders who (we hope) create and enforce laws we think just and moral. Laws that forbid discrimination againt homosexuals are based on a morality.

I imagine Ku Klux Klan members feel the government has enforced an alien morality on them by punishing them for beating or killing Latins, blacks or gays, for example.

No doubt those criminals who shoot abortionists or bomb the clinics would love to see a morality which would oppose them cease from being enacted by the State.

As for situational ethics? They're fine if you've decided 'right' and 'wrong' are merely convenient cultural labels which have no universal foundation and which stop outside of our own skins.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

All of those things are about people harming other people. A foetus is not, legally, a person, and so such laws are trying to control what a woman does with what remains part of her body. Or in this case, what a 9 year old girl should be forced to go through.
There may be a case for restriction of abortion, hence the laws which currently exist, although I think there should be abortion on demand for the first 14 weeks which would discourage late abortions. However, my prority is and always will be, those who are here already, not those who might be but are not at the moment. If you choose yourself to believe that the foetus is life at conception - fine - but I don't accept that, and see no reason why that view should be forced on those who do not believe it, given the consequences - which would not be the same in any of the other examples you give.

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tomb mumbles to himself and counts his toes. 10? Thank God. He hasn't completely lost his mind. Only his thumbs. Oh, well.]

This is a nine figgin' year old little girl, people. This is not a General discussion about abortion. This is a Particular case.

Jesus, I wish the world were so serene that the General always informed the Particular, but it doesn't.

JL, I'm so so glad you agreed with my earlier post, but your subsequent posts prove that you still don't get it: people who enforce theological absolutes DO VIOLENCE.

Let me repeat myself: YOU are HURTING PEOPLE. You. Personal. Not people who think like you. Not people who support your position. Not people who have written encyclicals. YOU.

Go to confession.

Even if your ethico-moral position never obtained, the fact that you could possibly hold it in the demonstrable face of TERRIBLE HUMAN MISERY effectively NAILS YOU TO THE WALL.

My God man, we're talking about a little nine year old girl! We're not talking about general principles here. We're talking about the specifics of a terrible act that would make Jesus weep.

Your certitude is staggering! And sickening! I bet you're one of those assholes who thinks he knows why the sun comes up in the morning.

There is no theological or ethical principal that will cut through this dilemma. Your life-at-all-costs bullshit effectively will kill the life of a child.

Ordinarily, JL, I respect and admire your posts and positions. But in this case, you're so full of shit I'm sure it's brown when you blow your nose.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We're talking about the specifics of a terrible act that would make Jesus weep.

Bravo, Tomb, and thank you.

Would it be impertinent for me to suggest that you apply a hostly padlock to this thread?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hhmmmm, what's that i hear?

Clip-clop...BANG!

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I disagree. No one is required to visit a thread. As long as people continue to express themselves, let threads remain. I for one am rather sick of "so I'm closing the thread."

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:
We're talking about the specifics of a terrible act that would make Jesus weep.

Bravo, Tomb, and thank you.

Would it be impertinent for me to suggest that you apply a hostly padlock to this thread?

No, just useless - tomb is hellhost emeritus, with all of the glory and none of the power.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Agreed, NO. I am still,feeling angry over the whole situation.

And I appreciated your posting about the changes of policy re helping people to get out of horrible situations.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MatrixUK:
Hhmmmm, what's that i hear?

Clip-clop...BANG!

You know, you really should learn what is a Dead Horse topic, and what isn't. I'll give you a clue: topics which have been repeatedly argued about on these boards, where there are at least two opposing, untractable and unconcililatory positions. Threads about child abuse do not fall into this category generally.

Viki, hellhost

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1. The deliberate killing of an innocent is always wrong, and there are no circumstances which would justify resorting to such a wrong.
2. Abortion constitutes the deliberate killing of an innocent.
3. Abortion can never be justified.

JL, this is probably the clearest statement you have made of your argument.

The problem lies in point (1)

Some of us, (eg. Mersey mike) disagree that "an innocent [person]" is being killed at all.....hence, the rest of your argument.

Some of us, (eg. me) agree that an innocent person is being killed, BUT disagree that the killing of an innocent is always wrong.

Some example situations would include warfare, for example, in which the benefit of many innocents may depend upon the loss of some innocents.

Another example might include a situation of a madman with a gun running down a street. Yes, he may be morally "innocent" as he is out of his mind, and therefore not morally responsible. However, if it was the only possible course of action, I would shoot him to protect the other innocents he might kill.

Another example might be someone who is acting on false information and is thus about to commit some terrible act in good faith that they are doing the right thing. Again, here, killing of a morally innocent being may be necessary.

Of course, in all these cases, the killing of an innocent is done reluctantly, as a last resort. Whether it is sin, I honestly do not know. If faced with any of these situations I would no doubt find myself needing to ask forgiveness afterwards.

I think in the case of the 9 year old, we may well be faced with that last resort.

Is the abortion sin? Yes. I think it is, but sin has momentum to it. When the rapist raped that girl, he started a train of sinful events in motion. Sin breeds sin.

This is why we say we live in a sinful world. The sin has soaked into the very material of the world we live in...so we have droughts and earthquakes and volcanos.

While at every opportunity we should seek to follow a course of action which is consistent with God's perfect sinless standards, sometimes there simply is no available course of action which is fit to bear that title.

In the case of this girl, abortion was not the "better of two options" (and I refuse to believe abortion ever can be the better of two options), but rather it was the only option. It was a hobson's choice...death of an innocent and suffering...or...death of an innocent and suffering.

matt

--------------------
3M Matt.

Posts: 1227 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

So what can we do to the rapist?

Tie him up and visit him with a huge monster who pokes him violently with a hollow steel shaft full of shit which leaves a deposit which grows painfully into a kicking struggling creature which eventually cuts, tears, rips its way put? And then devours him.

How about that?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

"out" not "put"

Can't see any Freudian slip there...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do deal with the rapist?

Hmm..well, my favored method would be to make a big bundle of razor wire, strip him naked...throw him on it with his hands and feet tied.

Then pass a low voltage current through the razorwire, causing his body to spasm. As it spasms he will of course move over the razorwire cutting himself.

Over the course of the next 30minutes or so he should die from loss of blood. It's known as "the death of a thousand cuts"

Apparently it's one of the most painful ways to die.

matt

--------------------
3M Matt.

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to scream now. Thankfully, this is Hell, so I can.

I'm very anti-abortion. [Eek!] I have not yet been convinced that even horrible, extreme cases like this one would justify it. [Eek!] [Eek!]

But DAMMIT, hello, Bueller? is anyone listening? not noticing that this is a really horrible case, and even if it is true that it would be wrong to abort the child, that it is a very difficult case to handle, and that even if it is still wrong (to abort the infant in question) it can seem justified to do so, to good, intelligent people, is mind-numbingly insensitive and heartless. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

JL, I have the greatest sympathy and probably agreement with your technical doctrinal position on abortion. But it's times like this which make me say (and unlike certain other issues I have no expectation that my position will change) that if I based my beliefs on the actions and apparent attitudes of the people who hold them, then I'd probably be so "pro-choice" it'd make your head swim. [Mad]

Sometimes it's embarrassing to be anti-abortion (I refuse to use what I see as a euphemistic, even propagandistic phrase, "pro-life"). JL -- I am sorry to say this -- but when you post the way you do sometimes, you are not helping. [Embarrassed]

God have mercy, God have mercy, God have mercy. What a horrible situation.

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Sounds great, Matt the Mad Medic. [Devil]

Do we get to take turns pressing the button to cause the electric shocks? [Devil]

I'm still waiting to hear what the Seminole women would do. [Devil]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

David,

I have apologised for the lack of sensitivity, and I'll do so again. However, I remain convinced that there would have been no justification for an abortion in this case, and can't help feeling that some of the accusations of insensitivity (not all, mind; I deserved most) stem from a fear of moral certainty, or simple disagreement with the pro-life position, more than anything else.

Lou Poulain
Shipmate
# 1587

- Posted      Profile for Lou Poulain   Email Lou Poulain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...and can't help feeling that some of the accusations of insensitivity (not all, mind; I deserved most) stem from a fear of moral certainty, or simple disagreement with the pro-life position, more than anything else.

Really?

It must be nice to have the certainty of an absolute moral principle that can be applied in every instance without exception.

I offer grudging admiration for your willingness to take your lumps for expressing your absolutism. Do you get the same level of criticism when expressing your strict pacifist views about war?

Lou

Posts: 526 | From: Sunnyvale CA USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

Just wanna say, I totally agree with Chastmaster's position on this.

He seems to be, (along with myself) the only person here able to grasp a seperation of theoretical morality from the horrific practicality.

JL...YES...I think you are RIGHT. It's wrong to abort, but hello...this is the real world..S**T HAPPENS!

So I don't see a problem is saying "I think abortion in this case is quite possibly morally wrong in the highest sense, but totally understandable"

As I said, if it were my daughter, I would choose abortion...then ask forgiveness. Yes. It's inconsistent. Sometimes life is JL. If your life never has inconsistency like this, then can we swap please?

matt

--------------------
3M Matt.

LucyH
Shipmate
# 3570

- Posted      Profile for LucyH         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very anti abortion and very sure this little girl needs one and should have one. In fact I would send money to any lawyer who would sue for child abuse. j.L. her own life may very well be lost but I suppose that matters less than being theologically correct[ 'letter of the law kills' ring a bell? ] in your own eyes. Please go and ' be right' somewhere by yourself where you can't do any more harm. As usual with the sanctimonious, consequences of your self righteousness are to be born by someone else.
Praying for a miscarriage is just washing our hands like Pilate as far as I can see.
J. L. may you feel what you inflict. I've seen your posts elsewhere and they are never imbued with the least compassion. I hope you grow out of it . Go to your room [ or anywhere the f=== away] and don't come out until you have.If I'd met you first I wouldnt have allowed myself to be called christian.

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
Originally posted by Lou Poulain:
Do you get the same level of criticism when expressing your strict pacifist views about war?

I don't have strict pacifist views. I also don't think there's any inconsistency there (despite your implication that there is,) insomuch as I'd hold the Just War approach which prohibits violence against civilian non-combatants and only justifies its use where the war is defensive. If someone is serving in an aggressive army waging a campaign against your homeland, then they're not an innocent, and you are entitled to use proportionate means to protect the common good.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt the Mad Medic:
So I don't see a problem is saying "I think abortion in this case is quite possibly morally wrong in the highest sense, but totally understandable"

I can understand why people might want the girl to have an abortion. I can understand why relatives of murder victims sometimes want to do horrific things to the perpetrators. I can understand why mobs screamed for the blood of the Bulger killers. But in every case I think they're wrong to do (or have done) so, and I have a serious problem with the idea that Christianity legitimises aiming lower than the best we can do - which in this case would have been not to procure an abortion, and thereby terminate the life of an innocent.

quote:
Originally posted by Lucy H:
that matters less than being theologically correct

Actually, a minor point - this isn't about being theologically correct. I would expect an enlightened, noble pagan to be just as opposed to abortion as any pro-lifer. There are pro-life atheists, pro-life feminists, pro-life Jews, pro-life Muslims, pro-life gays. It's a question of morality, not theology. I think there's a strong theological case too, but like I said to Tiffer, unless one is talking to people with similar theological foundations, it's not worth making since it's more likely to alienate than convince.

And thanks for the rest of your comments. I'll think about them.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

C'mon, Matt the Mad Medic,
What makes you think you and CM are the only ones to be aware of, and agonised by, the whole idea of having to do something against what you usually reckon fits with your conscience?

The fact that you would, in this case, shows your real, sufficiently flexible value system. Similar to the rest of us?

JL,
That is how we have to behave and belong in this world - we are aliens and wanderers at the moment - and the world is global, circular, not lots of tiny square blocks and cages. Anyone who tries to lock us up in these cages is being spiritually abusive and anyone who lives in one needs to grow out of it.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Atlanta
Shipmate
# 2659

- Posted      Profile for Atlanta   Email Atlanta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How would any of you feel if that 9yr old was related to you?????

I know how I would feel Rightly or Wrongly.

We are in 2003, should this still be happening to children( or anyone)?

This is too close to home for me to make any rational comments.

--------------------
If you cant beat them, Join them!! But i refuse to start farming!!!!

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

There was a report on Woman's Hour today giving an update on what was happening.
BBC

The interview was from Managua, and said that the medical panel had said her life was at risk. Apparently, this is the only reason that one may have an abortion legally, but there are many back-street and private abortions being performed. The women's groups are saying that "the law is extreme" and are the ones who helped and supported the family.

The father said that he was relieved that his daughter could begin to get back to being a little girl again, and that she would obviously still need psychological help. He said that he and his wife were taking responsibility for beginning to sort things out for their daughter. [Smile] Good for them.

The rapist also gave her two venereal diseases.. (Matt TMM, have you any medical tortures for him? Aren't some old-fashioned treatments for VD agonising? [Devil] )

The doctors and parents have been excommunicated. The Roman Catholic Church there has said that "they excommunicated themselves". Good for them! Some of the Conservative Right politicians are leaguing up together ti try and change the law to totally outlaw abortions! [brick wall]

Now for the most awesome news. We have on this board a woman with both Prophetic and Word of Knowledge gifting; a cardinal is regularly preaching at mass on Sundays for both political and religious total banning of abortion!!! [Mad] However, the general population don't seem afraid of him, nor take excomunication seriously. [Big Grin]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
The doctors and parents have been excommunicated. The Roman Catholic Church there has said that "they excommunicated themselves". Good for them! Some of the Conservative Right politicians are leaguing up together to try and change the law to totally outlaw abortions! [brick wall]

[Roll Eyes] How wonderful... when people are going through what must be the worst agony of their lives, what better way to draw them closer to Christ and his church than an excommunication? I know the RC Church cannot condone the action, but why could they not be quiet!?

It infuriates me all the more to think that this family are being used as pawns to further political positions.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

From the Catechism:
quote:
Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offence. The Church attaches the canonical penalty of excommunication to this crime against human life. A person who procures a completed abortion incurs excommunication latae sententiae, by the very commission of the offence, and subject to the conditions provided be Canon Law. The Church does not thereby intend to restrict the scope of mercy. Rather, she makes clear the gravity of the crime committed, the irreparable harm done to the innocent who is put to death, as well as to the parents and the whole of society.
By acting as they did, they excommunicated themselves. By honestly confessing what they did as a sin and undertaking proper penance, they will have the excommunication lifted.

Because I have no desire to start Lent in a bad mood, that's all I'm going to say at this point.

starrina
The rose warrior
# 3549

- Posted      Profile for starrina   Email starrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am feeling a lot of the same feelings that have been expressed at this terrible event. I too am lost for words at what has happened to this poor, innocent child.

I do not want her to go through any more pain or trauma, and yet I cannot help but feel for her unborn child. Regardless of the circumstances it was conceived it is still a being who has a right to life. Who are we to decide who is allowed to have life, at all, let alone based on the circumstances of their conception.
That to me is just as horrific as the thing this girl has gone through.

--------------------
"what have you been doing while Bells has been maturing?"
"Drinking better whiskey."

Posts: 275 | From: the kwoon | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

silverfran said,

quote:
Who are we to decide who is allowed to have life, at all, let alone based on the circumstances of their conception.
That's the responsibility God has given us. We are not passive beings, we are designed to make choices.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

starrina
The rose warrior
# 3549

- Posted      Profile for starrina   Email starrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not debating that. My point is life is a gift given to us by God. SUrely by deciding who is able to have life we are elevating the status of our role in this world to God's.

i.e. no matter what I think of what the poor girl has suffered and will suffer surely our first responsibility is to keep God's statutes and commands??

People are right to question which is the most loving approach, because love is never easy. It is not the easy option or a way out, neither is abortion. That presents its own set of problems and traumas which she will have to endure.

--------------------
"what have you been doing while Bells has been maturing?"
"Drinking better whiskey."

Posts: 275 | From: the kwoon | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
LucyH
Shipmate
# 3570

if an ectopic pregnancy occurs [ the foetus lodges in the fallopian tube ] the tube will rupture killing mother and baby.That this foetus was lodged in a nine years old womb was likely to have taken both their lives too .The choice was always between two evils not between right and wrong.All condemnation should pertain to the rapist alone.
Apart from that to be heaped on the church that has added to their burdens while 'they themselves do not lift a finger to help.'Let those with no history of child abuse , no turning of a blind eye to Hitlers treatment of the jews
do the excommunicating -to say nothing of the inquistion.I would they all cut themselves off....while they're about it.

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

Lucy H,

It's probably for the best that you didn't say anything about the Inquisition, given your ignorance of history with regard to the Church's involvement on the Holocaust. Here are some useful articles to help you avoid bearing false witness in the future:

Sir Martin Gilbert: Pius XII & the Holocaust
Rabbi David Dalin: Pius XII was a Righteous Gentile

I'm struggling to see the relevance of the child abuse scandals. The Church teaches the profound immorality of child abuse as well as abortion. The fact that clerics have failed to live up to the teaching of their Church by committing abhorrent crimes is a source of misery to all people of good will and right reason.

But then, dare I say it, so is abortion.

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me preface my comments by saying anyone who's read my exchanges between Fr. G, JL and myself on the "Are Other Christians Really Christian?" thread will see I hold no love for the Orthodox/RCC hierarchy, politics or the majority of their exclusionary doctrines.

I'd also preface by saying emotions on this thread are running very high, therefore calm, rational discussion is much more difficult to come by in this kind of environment.

JL might be a lot of things, but as someone who has read many of his posts, I disagree that he's self-righteous.

Yes, he's firm in his convictions about abortion and yes, his convictions are extreme by many people's standards here. That being said, the unpopularity of his convictions doesn't automatically mean they're wrong, nor does it guarantee they're right.

Because of his length of time as a Shipmate and tenor of his posts, I believe he's earned the common respect to have his opinions listened to (and disagreed with when necessary), as have we all, and I would ask that if you disagree with them, you do so without killing him. Please offer him the same consideration you would want from someone disagreeing with you.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LucyH
Shipmate
# 3570

J.L. have lookd up the links you graciously provided. My information came from a bbc documentary , tho I cant provide the reference. My point I think [ through a haze of maternal rage ] was that I believe Hitler was counted as a Roman Catholic and never out rightly condemned.Along with all manner of other miscreants who are not or were not excommunicated.But the references you provided are enlightening.I still think the choice was between two evils and not right and wrong.
Thanks to Kenwritez for your moderating influence. some of the emotion is stuffed back in its box.

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Both Hitler and Mussolini had been baptised Roman Catholic - though, obviously, they were far from any such beliefs when they came to power. I understand that Pius XII had some advice to formally excommunicate them (a different matter than that which JL previously explained), but, under consideration, decided it would do no good and possibly much harm. Excommunication (which basically involves being barred from the sacraments and, for priests, suspension of faculties for active ministry - not condemnation to hell or the like) is intended to lead the person to repentance - which was not going to happen with those two - and, especially considering both that Hitler would love to have taken the Vatican, and to have all the more reason to begin a full scale persecution of Catholics, for Pius to issue an excommunication could have been fuel for a Fascist/Nazi fire.

Most members of the Italian armed forces were at least nominally Catholic... and a much earlier Pius had seen what can happen when the head of state is excommunicated (even allowing for that English nationalism of the time of Pius V exceeded the norm for Italy.) I don't know if this was required of those serving in the military, but an elderly friend of mine, German and old enough to remember the Holocaust, informed me that at least some within the Nazi regime were required to swear to being "believers in God" - to form a contrast to godless communism. To have been Christian would both involve the possibility of ethics at odds with 'duty,' and of professing belief in a Son of God who was Jewish. There could have been implications for an all out war with the Vatican had an excommunication been issued.

This is not an apologia - but I am adding it because it can appear, quite wrongly, that moralists (which I am not - nor am I RC) are seeking to torture people, when, in truth, some of them are extremely pastoral.

I am familiar with the sort of excommunication which JL mentioned, yet, regardless of one's views about the actions of the girl's parents, it is most unfortunate that the hierarchy can be quoted regarding an excommunication in the media. Speaking in general (not in relation to this issue), very few people are aware that such an excommunication is intended as a spur to repentance, and that those in such a predicament are supposed to have pastoral care. The most solid RC moralist on earth could possibly see circumstances here that would decrease (for example) the parents' use of the will here, their ability to act with 'reflection and consent' in the instance of such psychological torture, etc. I cannot say how many people I have known who, rightly or wrongly, assumed they were excommunicated and that this meant there was 'no turning back' to the Church! Quite honestly, this media report makes it appear that the Church casts out people during their time of greatest agony.

I disagree with JL on various matters, but believe that, if there is one thing we share, it is the tendency to assume that others naturally know all of the details about matters we set forth.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

quote:
Originally posted by kenwritez:

I'd also preface by saying emotions on this thread are running very high, therefore calm, rational discussion is much more difficult to come by in this kind of environment.

So hell encourages calm rational discussion? I think not. [Disappointed]

Even in real life, there are times when we have to rush in and rapidly engage in something urgently and emotively - spontaneous action and words are often necessary.

I'm not killing JL, only the rapist and the cardinal and his political side-kick today.

Let them have nightmares of the rape, experiencing the violation of their bodies, the disgusting penetration of sperm, yuckiness and filthy germs. Let them wake up sweating and paralysed with fear. Let them feel the powerlessness.

Since they're not excommunicated, let them have flashbacks whenever they see blood. [Mad]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

Thanks Ken. Much appreciated.

Daisymay,

What you wrote would have made a lot more sense if the Church had sought to justify the rape. It did not. The rape was condemned. No-one's denying the horror of rape. What is being denied is the idea that deliberately killing an innocent can improve an already dreadful situation.

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember this detail from my Moral Theology lectures: does a rapist automatically excommunicate himself by virtue of his actions?

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016