homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: South Coast/ Bible Belt Christianity (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: South Coast/ Bible Belt Christianity
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I once heard a preacher say

"I'm not an evangelical christian. The term is meaningless as there are no other kinds"

[Projectile]

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jeff,

You really think you're telling us things we've never heard of or considered before?

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Featherstone:
Yes I do know other people have had changed lives through other routes but where is the large scale changing of lives? Where are the communities of people who together are showing what God is like? Liberal christianity seems to fail miserabaly in this!

Welcome to the Ship, Jeff.

I'm nearly as new as you. When I arrived on the Ship, I wanted to debate an issue on a Hell thread [Embarrassed] . Someone rightly pointed out that Purgatory, not Hell, is the place for reasoned debate.

If you want to start a reasoned debate on 'what form of Christianity is most effective at changing lives', may I suggest that you start a Purgatory thread on that topic? I suggest that you have a look at the existing Purgatory threads first, just in case someone's already started a thread similar to that.

Meanwhile, enjoy the Ship [Smile]
Alwyn

[ 08. August 2003, 12:28: Message edited by: Alwyn ]

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl - Liberal Backslider:
Jeff, matey, evangelical is not mainstream. It's evangelical. It's part of the arrogance of much evangelicalism that it thinks it is Christianity, but it ain't so.

I don't think we think we are all of Christianity. But we do think that our theology is orthodox and in the mainstream of Christian teaching down the centuries. Just as we might think that our practices and style of worship are adapted to cultural circumstance.

To parody a lot of posts on all those other threads:

- the evangelicals are trying to express the religion of 1st-century Palestinian shepherds in the symbols of 21st-century American college students

- the liberals are trying to express the religion of 19th-century German philosophy lecturers in the symbols of 14th-century Italian priests

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
- the liberals are trying to express the religion of 19th-century German philosophy lecturers in the symbols of 14th-century Italian priests

Errr ... no ... we're not all. You are again making the assumption that liberal = anglo-catholic. Wrong.

--------------------
V V Rozanov

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
why so many contributors seemed to be cynical about groups of Christians who are simply trying to be biblical and to be passionate about God and his ways.

'cos you've wandered into the online equivalent of a lot of people who half know each other having a bitch session in the pub after a hard day's work and trying to let off some steam.

Some of the same people would be using different language in different contexts.

--------------------
Ken

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The one thing that best settles the dust when the cocks of both camps strut and crow and slash at each other with their razor-augmented spurs is this:

Disaster!

Usually natural. Around here, involving high winds, high waters and frightened snakes.

Amazing how the feathers smooth down, the crowing turns to sweet concerned clucking, and the left-winged roosters and right-winged roosters all stand shoulder to shoulder and serve.

Abba, Father, I pray for the courage to even begin to pray for the terror and loss it will take to knock these people back into a loving single line following You...

[Snigger]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then again, judging by the response of some clueless fundies to 9/11/....

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by strathclydezero:
quote:

Errr ... no ... we're not all. You are again making the assumption that liberal = anglo-catholic. Wrong.
Er, no. I was just pointing out that it is just as stupid to say that as it would be to say the other thing about evangelicals - which has been said at least twice by others round here in the last few days.

Only an idiot could think that all, or most, or even very many liberal Christians are anglo-catholics, because anglo-catholics make up at most about a third of a percent of all the Christians in the world.

The other way round - that most anglo-catholics are theologically liberal - is probably true, but as you would I'm sure point out only of interest in the British Isles and a few odd bits of ex-colonies [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wrong, Kenneth - the evangelicals are trying to express the religion of a 16th century civic tyrant in the symbols of 19th century emotionalism

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by strathclydezero:
quote:

SCZ Wrong surely you have noticed all the Liberal Baptists who walk around in 14th century pristly garb?

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Er, no. I was just pointing out that it is just as stupid to say that as it would be to say the other thing about evangelicals - which has been said at least twice by others round here in the last few days.

OK I was having a mildly hellish little dig at anglo-catholics as well, because small in numbers though they are there are an awful lot of them round here... but not, I don;t think all liberal Christians are anglo-catholics, I really don't.

--------------------
Ken

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker.:
Then again, judging by the response of some clueless fundies to 9/11/....

Listen, MerseyMike, I am SO SICK of your blind hatred and bashing of evangelicals...

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Its very noticable though that my pro-mainstream christianity views seem to have upset more people than a thousand more liberal contributions have!

Earth to Jeff: liberals are part of the mainstream.

quote:
I think most people contributing need to widen their horizons themselves because they seem to have a view of mainsteam Christianity that involves every cliche going. Have a look at what's really out there!
You don't know Thing One about the people contributing here. We know very well what's "out there" - some of it's great, some of it's bullshit. Guess what part I think you inhabit.

quote:
Yes I do know other people have had changed lives through other routes but where is the large scale changing of lives? Where are the communities of people who together are showing what God is like? Liberal christianity seems to fail miserabaly in this!
Some conservative/evangelical communities do show what God is like. Some don't. Same with liberal communities.

And lives aren't changed "large scale" - they're changed one at a time. You can have a stadium full of people waving their arms and crying and promising they'll be different in the future. And it means precisely squat.

Grow up and get a clue. And learn to type. And learn to capitalize "Christianity."

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

And lives aren't changed "large scale" - they're changed one at a time. You can have a stadium full of people waving their arms and crying and promising they'll be different in the future. And it means precisely squat.

RuthW, darn it, this is very good. [Not worthy!]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Glimmer

Ship's Lantern
# 4540

- Posted      Profile for Glimmer   Author's homepage   Email Glimmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...where is the large scale changing of lives? Where are the communities of people who together are showing what God is like? Liberal christianity seems to fail miserabaly in this!

Ah, so 'large scale changing' is better, is it? Do you mean lots of people all at once?
Please tell me all about the communities of people who together are showing what God is like. It would be nice to have the instructuons so we can build one at home. We don't want to be Failed Liberal Christians, no sir.

<edited for typo>

[ 08. August 2003, 15:47: Message edited by: Glimmer ]

--------------------
The original, unchanged 4540.
The Temple area, Ankh Morpork

Posts: 1749 | From: Ankh Morpork, Dorset | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks duchess! Between you as the Calvinist steel-plated Bible-thumper and me as the commie pinko tree-hugging hankie-squeezer, we've got mainstream Christianity in a headlock, don't you think?
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Lord, I justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna..."

Quick, somebody help! He's stuck!

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Thanks duchess! Between you as the Calvinist steel-plated Bible-thumper and me as the commie pinko tree-hugging hankie-squeezer, we've got mainstream Christianity in a headlock, don't you think?

AMEN, sistah. We are like 2 scary bookends with David and others struggling in the middle, gasping for air. note to self: I may hafta someday find a way to work Calvinist steel-plated Bible-thumper into my title under my avatar.

--------------------

Wesley S Chappell
Shipmate
# 4186

- Posted      Profile for Wesley S Chappell         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
"Lord, I justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna, justwanna..."

Quick, somebody help! He's stuck!

David

No - he's not stuck - it's the new Christian rap act down at First Methylated Church Family Praise Outreach Ministries on Nineteenth and Main....

--------------------
ALMIGHTY God, the fountain of all wisdom, who knowest our necessities before we ask, and our ignorance in asking.

Posts: 477 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Undiscovered Country
Shipmate
# 4811

- Posted      Profile for The Undiscovered Country   Email The Undiscovered Country   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, to my mind mainstream christianity has by definition to be based on core biblical teachings, otherwise it ain't mainstream. That's not arrogance. That's just following logic.

The bottom line is 'does this other person have a genuine relationship with God', whether they use a liberal, evangelical or any other label. If someone knows God, then I can't say 'I don't need them' anymore than they can say 'I don't need you.' Together we have the mind of Christ. However in working out that relationship there are core issues in which only one answer can be true i.e. if one says 'Jesus is the only way to God' and the other says 'all roads lead to God', then by definition only one can be right. So I'm all for lots of debate to get at the truth. Let's just recognise that there is a truth out there, not just a contradictory set of opinions.

--------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man adapts the world to himself. Therefore all hope of progress rests with the unreasonable man.

Posts: 1216 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

This is Hell. Not Purgatory.

[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Featherstone mainstream christianity has by definition to be based on core biblical teachings, otherwise it ain't mainstream. That's not arrogance. That's just following logic.

Bollocks.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

Oh My God ... you really are a complete moron, aren't you Jeff? I know God, but you're a fuckwit. Go on, condemn me, you wouldn't be the first. If you want to debate I suggest you take this topic to purgatory, where someone might be willing to be more reasonable.

--------------------
V V Rozanov

RuthW

# 13

quote:
Well, to my mind mainstream christianity has by definition to be based on core biblical teachings, otherwise it ain't mainstream. That's not arrogance. That's just following logic.

So what's a "core biblical teaching"? Not eating shellfish? Women covering their heads in church? Choosing leaders by drawing lots?

quote:
The bottom line is 'does this other person have a genuine relationship with God', whether they use a liberal, evangelical or any other label.
Who gets to judge whether the relationship is genuine or not? Hint: it's not you.

quote:
Let's just recognise that there is a truth out there, not just a contradictory set of opinions.
Sure. Just as long as you start admitting you don't know what it is, and won't in this lifetime.

Lord, I just wanna thank you that nimrods like Jeff periodically show up on the ship and remind me why I left the church of my youth and almost didn't recover my faith. That I continue in the faith despite them reminds me of how great you truly are.

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

But Sister Ruth, why do you say that he is a Nimrod (Genesis 10:8-12)? Is he, indeed, a "mighty hunter before the Lord?" Or is it that, in sooth, "the beginning of his kingdom was Babel?" [KJV]

David
still not king

[ 08. August 2003, 19:15: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------

The Undiscovered Country
Shipmate
# 4811

- Posted      Profile for The Undiscovered Country   Email The Undiscovered Country   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So what's a "core biblical teaching"? Not eating shellfish? Women covering their heads in church? Choosing leaders by drawing lots?
Well a good starting point for sorting out what is biblical teaching is the Bible. If we're arguing over what it says on a particular issue, then there's some chance of getting to the truth. If we're not using the Bible as a starting point then there's little chance of sorting out what biblical teaching is. Its a bit like saying you know how to drive but you've never sat in a car. People might tend to disbelieve you.

[Edited your bolloxed code. Use preview post before posting in future. And use the UBB practice thread in the Styx to... well practise [Wink] ]

[ 09. August 2003, 00:58: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

--------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man adapts the world to himself. Therefore all hope of progress rests with the unreasonable man.

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been really trying to be nice to evangelicals. Maybe even think that they might not all be the sort of deluded unthinking fundie literalists I have suffered in the past.

Then I come on and read Jeff's rants. Which are, basically, I know God, you don't, and if you did you would come to the same conclusions as me.

Prat. Take your head out of your arse and then we may start to get somewhere - but you don;t want that,Jeff. You just see this is another mission field, where you can tell us in oh-so-reasoned tones that we must have a 'Personal Relationship With God' and 'Come To Know The Truth'.

And, by the way. 'mainstream' isn't synonymous with 'conservative'. If you want to obey core biblical teaching, sell your computer and give the proceeds to the poor, then we wouldn't have to read your repetitive drivel, OK ? All of us here start with the Bible, but we don't all treat it like a car manual or a witches spell-book. Some of us use the brain God gave us to think about it in the light of reason , tradition and experience.

Apart from anything else, you prick, we were having some FUN on this thread!

Duchess....since when has Lurker been my sockpuppet ?? Or is this a joke I'm missing?

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

Jeff, you obviously have a gift there. Would you like to preach again next week?

--------------------
V V Rozanov

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff!

You, boy are shaping up to be one of the more entertaining idiots we've had in Hell in a long time.

Soon, they will be lining up to insult you. Can you feel it? Yes!

Ship of Fools, let's just bow our heads for a moment and consider Jeff. Who among you is ready to give this poor silly creature a good chewing out? No need to fear, Ship!

Just raise your hand; with our eyes closed.... It's just between you and the Ship!

Yes! I see your hand, sister! And yours, brother. And yours! And yours! AMEN! AMEN! THANK YOU, SHIP!

Hands are rising all over the auditorium. Now, you who have made a commitment to savage dear Jeff, I want you to get up from your seats and make your way to the aisles.

Yes. Yes. Thank you, Ship!

They're rising! They are making their way down to torment Jeff. From the HIGHEST BALCONY in pink polyesther double-knit, curlers, and leisure suits they are streaming down!

Yes. Yes! Now, Ship, while they're making their way down, let's just close our eyes and sing that wunnerful old chorus, "IN-TO HIS HORT! IN-TO HIS HORT! PLUNGE INTO HIS HORT WITH A DAG-GG-GGER!"

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:
All of us here start with the Bible

Can't wait for RooK to read this. [Two face]

--------------------
V V Rozanov

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I. Can. NOT. Believe. How. Much. I. Agree. With. MerseyMike. Here. [Eek!] [Ultra confused] [Paranoid]

Yo. Jeff. This is a humour thread. In Hell. If you want to debate these issues please take it to Purgatory.

AND ALL THE PEOPLE SAID...

David
can I get an AMEN here?

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
Now, you who have made a commitment to savage dear Jeff,

... "savage"? [Waterworks]

I thought you said "RAVISH!"

DAMMIT! [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] And I was all ready, too... (stomps away)

David
or, possibly, "radish"

[ 08. August 2003, 19:38: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Ravish with radishes?"

Hardly seems worth getting out of bed for. Or into bed, as the case may be.

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I was hungry. It's the Ship's Cookbook thread what's done it to me.

David
radishing beauty

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course one could ravish wabbits with carrots.
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've been really trying to be nice to evangelicals. Maybe even think that they might not all be the sort of deluded unthinking fundie literalists I have suffered in the past.

Then I come on and read Jeff's rants. Which are, basically, I know God, you don't, and if you did you would come to the same conclusions as me.

Prat. Take your head out of your arse and then we may start to get somewhere - but you don;t want that,Jeff. You just see this is another mission field, where you can tell us in oh-so-reasoned tones that we must have a 'Personal Relationship With God' and 'Come To Know The Truth'.

And, by the way. 'mainstream' isn't synonymous with 'conservative'. If you want to obey core biblical teaching, sell your computer and give the proceeds to the poor, then we wouldn't have to read your repetitive drivel, OK ? All of us here start with the Bible, but we don't all treat it like a car manual or a witches spell-book. Some of us use the brain God gave us to think about it in the light of reason , tradition and experience.

Apart from anything else, you prick, we were having some FUN on this thread!

Duchess....since when has Lurker been my sockpuppet ?? Or is this a joke I'm missing?

[Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!]

Ben26

P.S - Featherstone, this is hell and the above posts are what happens when you post arrogant, unthinking, braindead nonsense in hell. Which is what you have done. All of us can read the Bible, Featherstone. Some of us engage our brains while we do so.

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:

Lavishly, with passion.

David
this is getting silly

[ 08. August 2003, 20:03: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

And tassels. No, better -- a passel of tassels.

And no hassles.

David
Rowrbazzle!

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:

Merseymike, JOKE [Snigger] . Now we are even for you saying you are going to donate money to Larry Flynt's Vigil on the Plotting Dem thread[insert touche icon here].

--------------------

The Undiscovered Country
Shipmate
# 4811

quote:

Only if its wabbit season, not duck season

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
quote:

A sense of humor. That's promising.
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
christmatic could be a new Christian washing machine...maybe you are being called to make one...you never know Jeff.

Washes whiter than white, eh? [Razz]

Now I'm late to this thread and not one to respond quickly to Hell rants but, hey, have to start sometime. And I didn't know you had been to my church, Scz! [Help]

I like, from our new friend (who I see has yet to learn how to quote properly)
quote:
Its a bit like saying you know how to drive but you've never sat in a car. People might tend to disbelieve you.
Hmmm. And some of the people I see in cars make me wonder if they have learned how to drive - a bit like people who quote Biblical Truth™ and haven't a clue about real life...

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
quote:
quote:

A sense of humor. That's promising.
And he's just said something sensible on the Purg/why do liberals go to church thread. It's very disappointing, really. They just don't make idiot newbies like they used to. Back in the good old days you could count on idiot newbies either to crash and burn in 5 posts or fewer or to achieve shipmate status and stay on for years without ever saying something sensible.

These kids these days. What are they teaching in those schools?

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come on people, let's get those cliches out and trotting again.

We can't possibly have run through them all already.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what a thread. i thought this was hell. what did this fuckwit do to manage to get people being so bloody nice to him. even i know you dont have conversations like that in here. it was a very amusing thread started by strath, but then in comes jeff and you all start debating with him and being nice to him. maybe hell isnt all its made out to be!

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
double post cos strath just told me it wasnt hellish enough, so mebbe i'm as bad as jeff?!!

the point i was trying to make was along the lines of you so-called hell inhabiting folk who cant actually manage a whole thread of hellishness without going fluffy bunny like. maybe each hell thread should start in hell, and then be moved to heaven when you all start being nice to each other and debating issues sensibly.

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw bless. Here's comes a little kid who's best day on the Ship was when s/he posted drunkenly 10 times in a row in Heaven - and she's now trying to lecture us about Hell.

And her comments aren't either:
  1. pertinant to the topic,
    or
  2. an amusing tangent.

Go back and play in Heaven. Or with the traffic. Or step outside with the heavy goons, and learn about the many facets of Hell, and the capricious, unpredictable, randomly evil nature of its denizens.

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote from Merseymike
quote:
This is very poor logic. The fact that one idiot is evangelical does not mean that people like Wood are deluded unthinking fundies. You said you were trying to think that not all evangelicals are like that. The existence of one should not affect your willingness to consider each individual as you find him/her.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You'll find many changed lives here Jeff. Mostly liberated Christians. Liberated and exploring new ways of doing things, new ways of exploring God.

Debate is neutral. There is the opportunity to make points for and points against any given proposal. If you don't like what's presented on this thread, or if you think it's derogatory then you are at liberty to post something constructive. As it is you are conforming to the stereotype you are denouncing.

quote:
To most people, that would give a pointer that you wouldn't find a reasonably balanced, nicely argued thread about whether X is the best way to do Christianity, and if not, what an alternative is.

That kind of thread is found in Purgatory.

This is the best advice you could be given at this time, Jeff. Just be patient and be prepared and look for opportunities to share your beliefs. Learn to present them as your beliefs and not the absolute, no matter how strongly you feel that way. Learn to seek understanding and not acceptance. Believe me, a little respect and a modicum of understanding can feel like a huge acheivement. This is a "land of labels", many of which have implications I still don't understand.

Stepping into it even further (and I hope you appreciate the sacrifice I am making here, child), I will say I think many of them would say they have been "liberated" from the type of Christianity to which you and I might adhere. Our mission, should you decide to accept it, is to show, through love and humour and wisdom, that freedom and salvation can be found here, as well. And sometimes to remind them that they should be willing to listen and respect our viewpoints as much as they expect that of us.

I can promise you, Jeff, that you will learn, you will laugh, you will shake your head, you will nod your head, and you will grow as a Christian and as a human. You will be reminded of why you believe what you believe, and you will be enlightened as to why others are where they are. It can be a really good exercise in spiritual growth.

Did I mention you'll laugh? They are good people, Jeff, with just few misguided souls who will shake your soul with their ruminations. And I think some of them post while drinking...

Run for cover, kid. Incoming...!!!

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016