homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Inside The Mind Of Chick, vol CXVII... (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Inside The Mind Of Chick, vol CXVII...
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
he treats the commitment to Christ purely in terms of whether someone has technically heard the words and said the prayer.

Well that's alright then, because there will be words in the Roman mass that count as the prayer [Smile]
Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the irenical posting style of brother el18, is there any chance that he is actually BlaizePascal (aks Shaitan) in one of his multifarious disguises? Just a thought? [Two face]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a Calvinist, I am appalled at the sinner's prayer. I do not see any grace in that, any of God's awaking in the heart.

I laugh too much when I read Jack's comics but then I feel guilty since I feel like I may be laughing at somebody's expense.

One good thing they did was to make me research a few things and know that albeit I don't agree with Catholics, I know they don't worship Mary as a diety (they give respect), they pray to saints because it's backed up in the Deutocanical (sp?) Books, so is purgatory and indulgences...

A little bit of poison poisons the whole well. I wish it were as simple and easy as just making people pray the sinner's prayer (I'd find a way to force my whole family) but it must come from the heart and only God has control over that. In that realm I disagree with Protestants more than Catholics (who see faith in Jesus as a gift of grace)...kind of ironic.

The sinner's prayer is great...if somebody already is seeking God. If not, it is pointless to have someone pray it.

C.S. Lewis was not an inerrantist (and I am) since he believed (correct me somebody here if I am wrong, going by stuff I read awhile ago) that basically God is too nice and loving to be as mean as He is depicted in the bible. C.S. Lewis drank and smoked too. He still gets kudos from my kind (errantists).

Jack Chick seems to be an errantist but his view of Scripture disturbs me. [Darth Vader]

I have a headache now...I am staying out of here.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
dang ...

MY KIND is inerrantist.

gulp. what an error to make. [brick wall]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess [green]:
C.S. Lewis was not an inerrantist (and I am) since he believed (correct me somebody here if I am wrong, going by stuff I read awhile ago) that basically God is too nice and loving to be as mean as He is depicted in the bible. C.S. Lewis drank and smoked too.

Well -- not quite an inerrantist in the sola scriptura sense, no, but not quite that God is not as depicted in the Bible. I think Jack saw God as both merciful and just, from the Bible and from other sources. And yes, he drank and smoked as well. [Smile]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Char...I think we killed it! We killed it!

This thread is DEAD!

Woo-hoo! YES!!!

YEA US! [Not worthy!]

--------------------

LatinMan
Shipmate
# 1892

- Posted      Profile for LatinMan   Email LatinMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Mind of Chick"

It sounds like an ingredient in a witch's brew.

Happy Halloween!

(And doesn't JTC have a tract about that?)

--------------------
* * * + * * *
_ _ _ [o]_ _ _

Posts: 603 | From: The Marches of the Archdiocese of Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eleighteen asked if there were any other decent [Killing me] religious comics that people had seen (actually, I think it was addressed to ChastMastr, but being a decent guy maybe he won't mind me jumping in...).

Does anyone know of the PIX comics? I used to get these every week at Sunday School. An eight-page booklet usually had an episode from the Bible presented as cartoons, and as well there would be story with a Christian moral (oh goody), or else some Christian history, like the translation of the Bible. I just looked it up on Google and was surprised to see it started in 1949!

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
LatinMan
Shipmate
# 1892

- Posted      Profile for LatinMan   Email LatinMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Franciscan Friars of Marytown commissioned a comic book on the life of St. Maximilian Kolbe titled Soldier of God. I don't know if it is still available.

A few years back, Marvel Comics (I think) ran some comic books depicting the lives of Pope John Paul II and Mother Theresa of Calcutta. Again, I don't know if these are still available.

Someone has put out The Big Book of Martyrs in which a variety of comic book artists depicted the lives and deaths of various saints, each in a different artist's style.

Boys' Life, the official magazine of the Boy Scouts of America, had a comics section. There was a comic book rendition of a portion of the Bible in every issue, and back in the 1970s, there was a series of comics explaining the various badges and medals, sponsored by various religious communities, that scouts could earn.

I am sure that the Bible has been done in comic book form on more than one occasion.

The idea of presenting the Bible and religous themes in a comic book/graphic novel format is a good one. However, I think what is needed is a person who is a good artist in the genre, and also someone who believes in the work to carry it out well.

--------------------
* * * + * * *
_ _ _ [o]_ _ _

Posts: 603 | From: The Marches of the Archdiocese of Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
eleighteen
Shipmate
# 2736

- Posted      Profile for eleighteen         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LatinMan:
The Franciscan Friars of Marytown commissioned a comic book on the life of St. Maximilian Kolbe titled Soldier of God. I don't know if it is still available.

A few years back, Marvel Comics (I think) ran some comic books depicting the lives of Pope John Paul II and Mother Theresa of Calcutta. Again, I don't know if these are still available.

Someone has put out The Big Book of Martyrs in which a variety of comic book artists depicted the lives and deaths of various saints, each in a different artist's style.

I wanted to know about Christian comic books LatinMan. Christian.

--------------------
The disbelieving husband is sanctified through the wife (I Cor 7.14)........(thinks)..... woo-hooo!

Posts: 52 | From: overboard | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
LatinMan
Shipmate
# 1892

Eleighteen,

I will not dignify your comment with a reply.

--------------------
* * * + * * *
_ _ _ [o]_ _ _

eleighteen
Shipmate
# 2736

- Posted      Profile for eleighteen         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey! [Embarrassed] LatinMan I'm joking.... ...I'm a bit skittish 'cos my Jack Appreciation thread was Matt25.41-ed by the Heaven moderator.

Do you know where I can read these cartoon tributes to famous Romanists on line? Ditto those PIX things? I'll attack them with an open mind but they'll have to go some to beat the sheer quality and entertainment value of Chick.

--------------------
The disbelieving husband is sanctified through the wife (I Cor 7.14)........(thinks)..... woo-hooo!

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{hostly advisory}

eleighteen: please use smilies to help people avoid misunderstanding you. Once people get the hang of your humor, you can drop them, but I think their judicial use might ease your assimilation into this community.

Thank you.

{/hostly advisory}

[ 01. November 2002, 15:54: Message edited by: tomb ]

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there's a Left Behind comic available. I saw it at Wesley Owen one time.

Oops, sorry, you said decent comics. [Razz]

Preacher, by Garth Ennis, has a religious theme, but I don't think it'd really be your thing.

And there's always Battle Pope, but I don't think that's what you were after either.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
eleighteen
Shipmate
# 2736

Yes, but using smilies does somewhat telegraph dry "wit" (which I think would be a generous term applied to most of my posts). I thought it was fundies who were meant to take everything literally.

The dislike of Chick on these boards may my humour may always appear a little warped. However, although he makes me laugh and I don't neccesarily agree with his views, I will defend Chick as a... (cough!) brother in Christ. Just because he doesn't share every one of your liberal views doesn't mean he's not out there doing God's work. Jack is not right on everything, as we all know, no man is infallible

I read a review of a biography of John Wesley in the Sunday papers a few weeks back. An extremely strange man by all accounts. God doesn't always use squeaky-clean Mr Reasonables like Reverand Wonderful Billy Graham.

New tract out today by the way. Chick at 80 is still down with the kids, very realistic obnoxious skaters swearing at adults. The real challenge would be to do one for the tracksuited youth of Britain. Perhaps I could drop him a line...

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/5018/5018_01.asp?FROM=bibleseries

Bit dissapointed, no hawhawhaws ,lightbulb headed God, lake of fire or digs at the HRCC. On the other hand that means it's a tract I'd consider passing out. Gets a (righteous) dig in at homosexuals, that might help one of today's brainswashed youth. Not-PC, but only objectionable to a really tetchy queen.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If he can have Battle Pope then he can have Nemesis the Warlock and the ABC Warriors.

There's preachers in it...

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LatinMan
Shipmate
# 1892

quote:
Hey! LatinMan I'm joking.... ...I'm a bit skittish 'cos my Jack Appreciation thread was Matt25.41-ed by the Heaven moderator.
Fair enough.

quote:
Do you know where I can read these cartoon tributes to famous Romanists on line? Ditto those PIX things? I'll attack them with an open mind but they'll have to go some to beat the sheer quality and entertainment value of Chick.

Except for the Amazon link, which is for purchase, AFAIK, none of the other comics is available in an online form. These were bits and pieces from my crumbling memory. Marytown's online catalog doesn't seem to have Soldier of God, and the Marvel Comics were released in the 1980s, or perhaps the early 1990s. And I don't know if the Marvel Comics were available outside of the US. The Boys' Life items are in back numbers of Boys' Life, although I think the Bible Story comics are still featured and being repeated as they go through their cycle.

I don't have any knowledge of the PIX things.

--------------------
* * * + * * *
_ _ _ [o]_ _ _

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
eleighteen stupidly wrote:
...Just because he doesn't share every one of your liberal views doesn't mean he's not out there doing God's work....

If you choose to pass on my hostly advisory, be my guest. You have already sullied your reputation so much in this community that using smilies probably won't redeem it very much.

However, inasmuch as I have not posted my opinion about Jack Chick, for you to impute "liberal" views to me goes a long way toward proving that you are an imbecile with an IQ in the single digits and the language skills of a myna bird.

It also indicates to me that you assume that I will disagree with Jack Chick although I have given you no indication of that fact. That means you expect a particular reaction from me (as well, presumably, as other people reading this thread.

This means that you are behaving like a Troll.

Guess what, eleighteen? I will be watching you very closely now for more Troll-like behavior. If I catch you pulling any more of that sort of bullshit behavior, I will chew you up and spit you out.

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eleighteen:
Chick at 80 is still down with the kids, very realistic obnoxious skaters swearing at adults. ... today's brainswashed youth.

Yeah, that @!!!**! condescending attitude will really rake in those @!!!**! "obnoxious" "brainwashed" youth. Making them look goofy in contrast with the more realistically drawn preacher is a great @!!!**! way to make any @!!!**! teenager who reads this really think, "Wow, Mr. Chick really understands us and where we're coming from; I want to be like those two kids who are so ignorant they don't know what a virgin is and, once spoon-fed all the data in the right order, naturally pray The Sinner's Prayer™ And Are Instantly Saved, without any troubling questions or doubts."

Yeesh.

Oh, and he does get in his dig about the RCs. He unexpectedly (just in case we were confused on this point) jumps in to mention that the Three Wise Men "did not worship Mary." (Welcome to Non Sequitur City! And yeah, I do think the Sodom and Gomorrah story seems weirdly shoehorned in here...)

Double yeesh. Triple @!!!**! yeesh.

David
@!!!**! orthodox guy

--------------------

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Put me down as a "really tetchy queen."

quote:
EL18: Gets a (righteous) dig in at homosexuals, that might help one of today's brainswashed youth.
quote:
Chick: It [homosexuality] smells of devils and death.
This is "righteous" how? This provides what sort of "help" to youth who are brainwashed to believe what falsity? By the way, if it matters, I am heterosexual.

quote:
EL18:Not-PC, but only objectionable to a really tetchy queen.
Only objectionable to a really tetchy queen? A real defender of Chick or even an abstract free-speech defender who disagreed with some or all of Chick would back-pedal and soft sell here, trying to win over the audience. Someone capable of concocting the phrase "really tetchy queen" has the intelligence to know that "smells of devils and death" is going to offend everyone except for the most primitive homophobe. Even an ignorant Klansman would not say that "lazy fucking nigger" is only going to offend "yer 60's hippie types." Troll alert! Ding, ding, ding!

EL18 is a troll, no doubt in my mind. The posts indicate a high level of education and intelligence being used to defend (in a mocking way) an embarrasingly ignorant "proponent" of the subject of the board: Christianity. As a good liberal however, I fully recognize that I might be wrong. EL18 could just be a disturbed, damaged, wasted intellect or a complete asshole. In Christian charity (and I consider myself more humanist than Christian) I will give him the benefit of the doubt and compliment him on being a fairly capable troll up to this point. [Not worthy!]

Except for the two quotes above. Busted, my young friend. Busted. [Disappointed]

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, but using smilies does somewhat telegraph dry "wit" (which I think would be a generous term applied to most of my posts). I thought it was fundies who were meant to take everything literally.

Let me get this straight: if you think it is humorous, but don't want to let people know it is humorous because you want to be "dry", then you reserve the right to not put in smilies? And, then you tut-tut somebody for being overly sensitive?

GEEZ..that's a convuluted set of logic used to explain something where you just screwed up.

You are a troll.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - but is he Shaitan? [Two face]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

- Posted      Profile for FatMac   Author's homepage   Email FatMac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
If he can have Battle Pope then he can have Nemesis the Warlock and the ABC Warriors.

Good comics to be sure Ken, but don't forget the most righteous 2000AD dude of all (well, excepting His Judgeness who isn't terribly religious, thank Grud).... Torquemada!

BTW I have a copy of Pilgrim's Progress comicised by Marvel I think (can't check as it's currently boxed up).

--------------------
Do not beware the slippery slope - it is where faith resides.
Do not avoid the grey areas - they are where God works.

Posts: 1706 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I could agree with JimT that L18 shows a high degree of intelligence, but at least on the subject of Christianity he's working at about a junior-high level. But, hey, I'm a Pollyanna: I'd rather think he's stupid than that he's a troll, since it is easier to make a stupid person smart than it is to make a troll stop being an asshole.

On the whole comics question, I highly recommend The Picture Bible, which contains most of the narrative sections of the Bible (this is a thick volume) in comic book style. I got it for my older son a few years ago (I think he was six or seven at the time) and he's read it through several times and now knows his Bible stories better than his theology-professor father.

FCB

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:

Not as far as I know Wanderer. So drop it.

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Amanuensis

Idler
# 1555

- Posted      Profile for Amanuensis     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:

Not as far as I know Wanderer. So drop it.

Viki

But he might as well be.

The guy is stringing you along, folks, big time. Just don't play with him any more.

Or if I am wrong; el18, just let us know how your first recipient of that new Chick tract responds. Look forward to hear the moving story of confession and salvation.

--------------------
What's new?

Posts: 547 | From: Cornwall | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Dropped.

(It just gave me an excuse to use [Two face] , which I rather enjoy.)

--------------------

Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember PIX from Sunday School, often the only interesting thing on offer. There was, I believe, a serial about a Roman convert named Tullus.

Thanks for bringing it up--I haven't thought of those magazines for many years, and it is nice to remember. [Smile]

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee Amanuensis, you really think nobody else has figured that out yet? Or that they are either enjoying playing with him, or hoping that by rebuffing the rubbish he is spouting, that others reading won't get taken in?

Perhaps I should have posted a large "Caution: Trolls' Play Area" sign earlier? Then again, everyone else seemed to realise...

Viki, hellhost

[Perfected punctuation. Even hosts are occasionally imperfect.]

[ 03. November 2002, 14:14: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Poet_of_Gold
Shipmate
# 2071

- Posted      Profile for Poet_of_Gold     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever you say about his views, Mr. Chick most definitely is an artist. Being one myself, I should know. His drawings show skill, passion, and observation of his subjects. And unlike many artists, he chooses to use his skills to try and lead others to God. His tracts are informative whether or not you share his views. The ones about FreeMasons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Moslems do give real facts and explanations of their views and ways of life.

No, not everyone who is Catholic is an unsaved non-believer in Christ. But there runs a real danger in anything built on tradition to run through the traditions for tradition's sake without feeling or meaning the real point of why it's done.

I agree for the most part with The Master Musician by John Michael Talbot. Every denomination from Catholic through Protestant and on down to charismatics has its strong points and weaknesses. Until we reach Heaven none of us will reach perfection. If God wanted instant perfection in His people on earth, they would be so. He instead chooses an interaction, a growing, and a journey for His people. It is for us, then, to appreciate what is good, pray about what is not, and to live and let live with those who disagree with us.

Posts: 204 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ej
Shipmate
# 2259

- Posted      Profile for ej   Author's homepage   Email ej   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by el18:
New tract out today by the way. Chick at 80 is still down with the kids, very realistic obnoxious skaters swearing at adults. The real challenge would be to do one for the tracksuited youth of Britain. Perhaps I could drop him a line...

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/5018/5018_01.asp?FROM=bibleseries

Bit dissapointed, no hawhawhaws ,lightbulb headed God, lake of fire or digs at the HRCC. On the other hand that means it's a tract I'd consider passing out. Gets a (righteous) dig in at homosexuals, that might help one of today's brainswashed youth. Not-PC, but only objectionable to a really tetchy queen.

I'm praying hard that that was sarcasm... If this is what you honestly believe... [Disappointed] [Paranoid] [Killing me]

If this is what you really believe el18, would you mind informing us just how much childrens/teen ministry your involved in? As someone involved in youth ministry, I know that the target audience for this track would either bin it asap (as they would with MOST tracts/written material), or use it as a source of unendless mirth and amusement... It so patronises and treats them with contempt and disrespect... I don't think I could have created a worse attempt to communicate with today's youth if I had tried...

It's an insult both to youth, to other Christians, and to God. I don't think Christ had this sort of mumbo-jumbo in mind as his justification while he was hanging on the cross...

--------------------
For my next trick I shall turn this water into funk...
...a little breathing-space...

Posts: 426 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poet_of_Gold:

His tracts are informative whether or not you share his views. The ones about FreeMasons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Moslems do give real facts and explanations of their views and ways of life.

If the "facts" in these tracts are as inaccurate as the "facts" in Chick's tracts about Roman Catholicism, Evolution, and Fantasy RPGs, then they are as much use as a chocolate teapot, and just as likely to get the user's fingers burnt.

Let's just face it, the man's a pillock.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
simon 2
Shipmate
# 1524

- Posted      Profile for simon 2     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the early frames in the last tract looks like the front row of a Bathory or Visceral Bleeding gig. Describing Chick's detatchment from reality as out of touch comes no where near the mark.

--------------------
sorry for my spelling and bad gramma

Posts: 495 | From: in a forest | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
eleighteen
Shipmate
# 2736

Well, the great JTC debate rolls on.

Tomb "Your liberal views" ,was in the plural, I was addressing all those on the thread (and lurking) who object so much to Chick, not yourself. As you say, you have made none of your views known (then again neither have I, and that hasn't stopped some very personal attacks), though your defensive nature towards me suggests you cannot take anyone who would defend Chick seriously. As for my reputation, I post and lurk here to learn about God... ...if I want friends I'll go out in the real world.

JimT In real life, I tend to say things as I see them, and have a sense of humour that can tend towards the offensive. My wife frequently admonishes me for this, people can often read me the wrong way. It's worse on the internet where there are no clues to your true feelings from intonation of one's voice. Americans can also miss deadpan humour. I apologise if I was taken out of context. For "really tetchy queen" read "militant homosexual activist".

Without getting onto the difficult subject of human sexuality, the majority of "homosexuals" are hedonistic and promiscous, living a very unhappy and self destructive life. The myth we are taught of monogamous gay couples is sadly just that, a myth. Jack Chick highlights this - like everything else - in a very forthright manner, but that doesn't remove the truth in what is said.

FCB Junior High-School Christianity? Well we are supposed to be child-like in our faith. Joking apart, I have made no secret of my relatively recent "coming to Christ" [Killing me] and the lack of depth to my theological knowledge on other threads. That is why by and large I lurk on these boards, I'm here to learn mostly.

One thing I do like about Chick is the very simple message of assurance once you accept Christ, seems much preferable to the Calvinist mind-gymnastics mentioned further up the thread.

Poet_of_Gold A good post. I shall endevour to look up John Michael Talbot.

ej As a child who loved to read Oink! comics (and in adolescence Viz), I would have lapped up Chick tracts, with their heavy satire and Hogarthian use of grotesques to lampoon modern society. That might not make me a "typical" youth, but there was clearly a market for those secular comics, so I was not alone.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Poet of Gold:

quote:
No, not everyone who is Catholic is an unsaved non-believer in Christ. But there runs a real danger in anything built on tradition to run through the traditions for tradition's sake without feeling or meaning the real point of why it's done.
But Chick isn't making your rather innocuous point about the dangers of tradition. What he is saying is that the Pope is the Antichrist, that Roman Catholics are the servants of Antichrist and presumably that those of us who don't subscribe to Chick Theology are fellow travellers of Antichrist.

And he really, really doesn't do research. On subjects which I do know a little about, he is frequently and hilariously inaccurate. I would not trust a Chick publication for information about anything more than the authors prejudices.

What Chick does effectively is Grand Guignol horror. His tracts are mildly diverting, superior entertainment to the backs of matchboxes, less entertaining than the average collection of Horror Short Stories. He is - grits teeth - my brother in Christ and may he find mercy at the hour of his death. But there is no need to be any more eirenic than that. Chick appears incapable of intellectual rigour or honesty, or indeed Christian charity and any analysis of his oeuvre should start from those facts.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps eleighteen would like to give me the personal experience he has for making the comments he does about gay people. The only thing that may affect a gay person's abilty to form relationships is societal homophobia.

I was interested to read that I don't exist. As someone who has been in a monogamous gay relationship for 10 and a half years, I must remind myself daily of my mythical status.

I would have thought the tract concerned would be objectionable to all except the bigoted

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quote from eleighteen
quote:
As for my reputation, I post and lurk here to learn about God... ...if I want friends I'll go out in the real world.
Would you please tell me what you have learned about God from lurking on the ship.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Poet_of_Gold:
His tracts are informative whether or not you share his views. The ones about FreeMasons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Moslems do give real facts and explanations of their views and ways of life.

That puts them in the minority. Anyone ever read the one on Islam?

I have never read such an active hindrance to witness in my life.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
eleighteen
Shipmate
# 2736

quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:
Perhaps eleighteen would like to give me the personal experience he has for making the comments he does about gay people. The only thing that may affect a gay person's abilty to form relationships is societal homophobia.

I was interested to read that I don't exist. As someone who has been in a monogamous gay relationship for 10 and a half years, I must remind myself daily of my mythical status.

I would have thought the tract concerned would be objectionable to all except the bigoted

Mike I prefer not to use anecdotal evidence in arguments. There are hundreds of studies about gay sexual behaviour out there (from all sorts of organisations), they can be summarised as: Gays are mostly bisexual men, seeking hedonistic pleasure with as many partners as possible. Indeed, many gay "couples" are just a convenient live-in relationship, where both "partners" continue to seek casual sex with strangers. Anyone with any compassion can see this is a highly destructive lifestyle.

Your situation is different (and the rights/wrongs of it have probably been done to death on these boards), but the evidence says you are in a very small minority.

Moo I don't know whether your post is antagonistic or not. This thread is about Chick. I may post what I've learnt from SOF someday on a different thread, but it isn't very interesting and would smack of egotism on my part. FWIW, the variety of arguments on the Ship has been useful for me in trying to work out where I stand, for that I am very grateful.

Wood Chick tracts may not do it in the best way possible, but they tell the truth when they say God/Allah is not going to let you into heaven just because you prayed five times a day and fasted at Ramadan. And Islam is Judaism/Christianity bastardised to suit cultural norms, based on the "revelations" of a charlatan. Perhaps the tracts would be better off pointing out how central Christ is to the Koran, but this is not the route Jack has chosen to take. That doesn't make what he says untrue however.

--------------------

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CAn I just say, this thread is great? I've not had such a laugh in ages.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh dear....now, think about it. If you are going to do any sort of survey, it depends who you ask. Most of the surveys you refer to were done in the context of HIV prevention and surveyed gay men on the commercial scene, in order to plan safer sex campaigning and outreach.
Now, if you did a similar survey of heterosexual behaviour and chose as your sample people who used clubs and pubs aimed at young, sexually active people, I wonder what sort of results you would get ?
Even so, some of your statements are daft - 'gays are mostly bisexual' ( does that mean gay men may have occasionally slept with a woman - if we say that all straight men who have ever had any experience with men are gay, then we may not be such a small minority after all), 'hedonistic pleasure with as many partners as possible' - this all sounds very reminiscent of Paul Cameron, the Christian Institute et al

I am a social researcher, and surveying sexual behaviour or lifestyles is fraught with difficulties, particularly when the group concerned is, other than the aformentioned club-centred people, very difficult to reach. There are surveys which show that monogamy is not practiced in a large numberheterosexual relationships either, although I would agree that the 'open' relationship is something which has developed primarily within some gay cultures. From a Christian perspective it is something I would not advocate, but given that gay men were not legally allowed to have any relationships at all,until 1967, in the UK, and given that its still relatively difficult to meet people, maybe it isn't too surprising.

I feel sure that stable relationships, which I support, will be easier as society becomes more accepting, but I think there's plenty of that anecdotal evidence around to show this is already a trend. Short of every gay person developing a pink triangle on their forehead, though, gaining valid and relaiable statistical evidence is simply impossible

PS : Sorry this is off the topic, probably purgatorial, or expired equinal, but I felt such generalisations needed some comeback.

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wood Chick tracts may not do it in the best way possible, but they tell the truth when they say God/Allah is not going to let you into heaven just because you prayed five times a day and fasted at Ramadan. And Islam is Judaism/Christianity bastardised to suit cultural norms, based on the "revelations" of a charlatan.

But they lie with the whole "Allah is a moon God" thing.

Islam is not bastardised Christianity. It's a different quantity entirely. If you're going to witness to a Muslim, you're doomed unless you have your facts straight. I believe in a God who wants us to use the truth. I was under the impression that says lying is wrong. Hence, I'll not be using any of Chick's material. Because it lies. Which is hardly Christian under any stretch of the imagination.

Also: your "knowledge" of what homosexuals are like is sorelyt lacking in depth, inasmuch as you appear to draw a dated stereotype wholly from the gay club scene - and let's face it, it's not as if the hetero club scene is any more chaste. Assuming that all gay people are part of the same scene, and share the same way of life is as frankly stupid as assuming that all hetero people are mad promiscuous lager lourts by checking out some nightclubs in Ibiza.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
eleighteen
Shipmate
# 2736

On homosexual behaviour, I suggest reading Straight and Narrow by T Schmidt. The conclusions are a little conservative for some, but the research, facts and figures used are sound and there for all to see.

The point about addressing all sexual behaviour outside of marriage, not just homosexuality, is fairly central to this book. The same is true of Chick, his satirical attacks on modern (hetero)sexual mores in Baby Talk or That Crazy Guy are even more biting than his homosexual ones.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
Assuming that all gay people are part of the same scene, and share the same way of life is as frankly stupid ...

You've got that right. [Frown]

I'm checking my watch to see just how long it takes the thread to get moved down to Dead Horses along with the hundred or so (well -- three, I think) Threads on Homosexuality.

(Admittedly, Eleighteen may not know this, but when a subject's been gone over as many times as that has, it gets put in Dead Horses where the debating can continue, just so you know...)

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone studied the sex lives of trolls recently?

They seem to be breeding round here.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LatinMan
Shipmate
# 1892

quote:
Chick tracts may not do it in the best way possible, but they tell the truth when they say God/Allah is not going to let you into heaven just because you prayed five times a day and fasted at Ramadan. And Islam is Judaism/Christianity bastardised to suit cultural norms, based on the "revelations" of a charlatan. Perhaps the tracts would be better off pointing out how central Christ is to the Koran, but this is not the route Jack has chosen to take. That doesn't make what he says untrue however.
However, IIRC, Chick's tract treating the origin of Islam makes the claim that it was a Roman Catholic plot...

--------------------
* * * + * * *
_ _ _ [o]_ _ _

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

[hostly warning]

As long as people confine their discussion to the substance of Jack Chick's literature, this thread is welcome to continue in Hell.

The proviso, however, is that posters also ignore the trolls' postings about homosexuality. If, alas, that topic takes over this thread to any substantitive degree, I will close it.

el18 DO NOT post any more of your opinions on homosexuality on this thread. Nobody gives a damn about what you think about it. If you are unable to contain yourself, use one of many threads in Dead Horses to share your opinion. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

This goes for you, too, Merseymike.

[/hostly warning]

tomb
hellhost

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

quote:
<snip> the majority of "homosexuals" are hedonistic and promiscous, living a very unhappy and self destructive life. The myth we are taught of monogamous gay couples is sadly just that, a myth. Jack Chick highlights this - like everything else - in a very forthright manner, but that doesn't remove the truth in what is said.
<snip> Gays are mostly bisexual men, seeking hedonistic pleasure with as many partners as possible. Indeed, many gay "couples" are just a convenient live-in relationship, where both "partners" continue to seek casual sex with strangers. Anyone with any compassion can see this is a highly destructive lifestyle. <snip>

Grabs hostly toasting fork

A few pointers:
  1. Hell is not the place to debate homosexuality. This includes, but is not limited to: rights/wrongs of it; biblical arguements for/against; its abnormality or otherwise; comparisons with paedophilia; relative staying power of such relationships; relative destructiveness of it and its relationships. If you wish to discuss any of these topics, or anything which comes under the general theme of homosexuality, then follow this link to a thread in Dead Horses. Read the five pages, and post your opinions there (assuming they haven't been stated already by someone else).
  2. Although we are in Hell, there are still rules. In particular, our guidelines apply. The relevant portions (in the event that you are a braindead moron and therefore have not yet read and learnt these guidelines):

quote:
    1. Racism, sexism, etc. – while you have a right to hold whatever opinion you like, if you post racist, sexist, or whateverist drivel here, may God have mercy on your soul.

8. The rules – apart from this, the normal Ship of Fools 10 Commandments continue to apply. But if you do break the rules, don't expect everyone else to adhere to them in responding to you. An eye for an eye...

Sweeping statements claiming 'All/the majority of homosexuals are...' are wandering into breaches of commandments. Guidelines cannot (of course) be breached, as they are provided to give a guide to good behaviour, rather than lay down laws which must be obeyed. However, as the guidelines point out, non-adherence on one person's part means a reciprocal non-adherence on the part of others dealing with the first person.
Viki, hellhost

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Moving on (faster than a stream of tachyon particles), here's another one:

Another anti-evolution tract

I think one thing in Chick tracts which gets to me is the "wow! I've never heard anything like this before, and I'm instantly convinced!" part. Characters pretty much jump right in and uncritically accept what The Evangelist Character tells them.

"And, Bob -- did you know that the Royal Family are actually lizards?" "Gasp! I never knew that before!"

David
"That blows me away, my brain is reeling."

--------------------

FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

- Posted      Profile for FatMac   Author's homepage   Email FatMac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
"And, Bob -- did you know that the Royal Family are actually lizards?" "Gasp! I never knew that before!"

I thought the Royal Family were the lost heirs of King David...?

--------------------
Do not beware the slippery slope - it is where faith resides.
Do not avoid the grey areas - they are where God works.

Posts: 1706 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016