homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Phelps plans Shepard monument; Scot turns Buddhist (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Phelps plans Shepard monument; Scot turns Buddhist
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During my drive home last night, I was treated to a live radio interview with the indefatigable Reverend Fred Phelps. Note that I am using the title, "Reverend," in a strictly non-literal sense.

Fred (once poignantly and accurately described by Kelly Alves as "that old cunt") was promoting his plan to erect a monument to Matthew Shepard, the young gay man who was beaten to death in Wyoming five years ago yesterday. Before you get all weepy because Fred has changed his ways, I should describe the proposed monument. It will feature a picture of Shepard and will read, "Matthew Shepard; Entered Hell October 12, 1998, at Age 21; In Defiance of God's Warning: Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind; It is abomination. Leviticus 18:22." Charming, no?

This monument is to be placed in a park in Casper, Wyoming, where the Shepard family lives. Apparently there is a monument to the 10 Commandments in the same park and there is some legal opinion that the city cannot allow one religious statement while prohibiting another.

The listening audience was treated to some creative biblical exegesis by Fred. He claimed that Jesus said one should castrate oneself rather than be gay, that Sodom had the same percentage of gays as we do now, and that the term "fag" is a biblical metaphor from the book of Amos. Fred also explained that the September 11 attacks were an outpouring of God's wrath on America for Bush having appointed a gay ambassador to Romania. Those of you who can't tolerate Bush will be pleased to know you have a strong ally in Fred Phelps.

Finally, a caller asked if, as a Christian, Fred shouldn't be showing more charity and compassion for Matthew Shepard's family. Fred got angry about this "ad hominem attack" and hung up. It was an amazing performance, leading me to say:

FRED PHELPS, GET THE FUCK OFF OF MY TEAM! You make me want to give up Christianity.

{title change}

[ 30. September 2005, 20:37: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
:::shudder:::

[Projectile]

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a sorry excuse for a human being.

Ironically by erecting a statue he will be fulfilling the Orthodox polite-thing-to-say-about-the-dead: "May his memory be eternal."

When, Lord, were you mourning, and I did not comfort you?

Matthew Shepard: [Votive]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes I wonder if Phelps is for real. How could someone be so hateful. [Mad] [Disappointed]

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bongo
Shipmate
# 778

- Posted      Profile for Bongo   Email Bongo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There must be a law against this. Mustn't there? Seriously.

(I meant against erecting the statue, not against free speech, obviously!)

[ 14. October 2003, 14:10: Message edited by: Bongo ]

--------------------
"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!" ~ Dr Strangelove

Posts: 492 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a twat. [Mad] [Mad]

It's not very Christian of me, but I detest with a passion such unbridled hate and intolerance as Phelps has poured out over the years.

Now I'm off to repent of my anger and hate. Something I suspect Mr Phelps has never even imagined he has to do.

[edited coz I think I went a bit over the top]

[ 14. October 2003, 14:19: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bongo:

There's certainly a doctrine against it. God doesn't rejoice at the death of a sinner but rather that he may turn from his wickedness and live (says Ken, paraphrasing and conflating scripture simultaneously - if it was good enough for Paul its good enough for me).

Fred Phelps ought not to rejoice over something that God weeps over.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
God doesn't rejoice at the death of a sinner but rather that he may turn from his wickedness and live (says Ken, paraphrasing and conflating scripture simultaneously - if it was good enough for Paul its good enough for me).

The good reverend (by which I mean, "ignorant fuck") made it clear that he was sorry that Shepard died. However as a "gospel preacher" it was his job to make sure everyone knew that Shepard was in hell. I kept waiting for the gospel part of his preaching, but I never heard anything that was either good or new.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bongo:

Or a city ordinance or something. You can't just go into a city park and put up a statue without permission. Phelps likely knows that but wants to stir up whatever trouble he can in the meantime. The man is seriously disturbed.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a link to this story?

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

The argument is that if the city disallows the new monument, they would have to remove the 10 Commandments monument that is already in the park. They are not allowed to favor one religious expression over another.

--------------------

Bongo
Shipmate
# 778

- Posted      Profile for Bongo   Email Bongo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But does a "memorial" count as a religious expression? I struggle with this one. A statue of the 10 commandments is, well, a statue of the 10 commandments. A statue of a person is a statue of a person; its purpose would be to commemorate the person, not to promote a religion.

--------------------
"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!" ~ Dr Strangelove

Posts: 492 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
Is there a link to this story?

Here's a story from the local paper. You can also see pictures of the proposed monument at Phelp's own godhatesfags.com.

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
The argument is that if the city disallows the new monument, they would have to remove the 10 Commandments monument that is already in the park. They are not allowed to favor one religious expression over another.

Not a religious expression. It's a libel on the dead/or some tort or other, which there are actually prohibitions against in some cases. Wasn't there a lawsuit in New Mexico or similar where a priest was sued for Infliction of Emotional Distress when he gave a sermon expressing similar convictions about the dearly departed?

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who the fuck is he to pronounce who is and isn't in Hell, heaven or anywhere else? With such continuing hatred as this it makes me feel ashamed to be associated with the same God as he purports to know.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
quote:

Not a religious expression. It's a libel on the dead/or some tort or other, which there are actually prohibitions against in some cases. Wasn't there a lawsuit in New Mexico or similar where a priest was sued for Infliction of Emotional Distress when he gave a sermon expressing similar convictions about the dearly departed?
So, is his goal to have the 10 Commandments monument removed by sparking outrage over his proposed statue?

How can it be libel? Do we know that it is untrue? What could be introduced as evidence of the truth or falseness of the statement?

Even if it speaks the truth, it is surely not acceptable to do so this way.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry -- I should be more clear. It is a libel-like offence, speaking ill of the dead. Of course it can neither be proven true or false.

Though I have to say, The Christ that I believe in would have cradled his poor battered body and taken his sweet spirit so horribly sinned against directly to Heaven, no matter what his sexual orientation.

[ 14. October 2003, 16:52: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phred Phelps is just a peach. Bless his pointy little head.

I am not sure about the one religious monument, therefore any old religious monument bit. How about no religious monuments? There seems to be some vague support in that constitution thingy for that position.

Perhaps the best thing to do with him is to ignore him. After all, if no one reacts to him he may not be able to get his jollies off doing what he does. In fact, the idea of Phred marching around and around with no one paying him any attention is just delightful.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As much as I agree with the sentiments expressed here, it bothers me that some of the terms used to insult this horrible man are descriptive of parts of the female anatomy. What does this say about women? How did this get to be a custom?

[ 14. October 2003, 17:37: Message edited by: Zeke ]

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

- Posted      Profile for Kyralessa   Email Kyralessa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
So, is his goal to have the 10 Commandments monument removed by sparking outrage over his proposed statue?

For, if so, then he's leading the fight against graven images, and you Protestants and Piskies ought to be supporting him. After all, if you don't, that would mean you're supporting Judge Moore's side of things, which says we ought to have the Ten Commandments in every courthouse.

So which'll it be? [Big Grin]

--------------------
In Orthodoxy, a child is considered an icon of the parents' love for each other.

I'm just glad all my other icons don't cry, crap, and spit up this much.

Posts: 1597 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Fred ... was promoting his plan to erect a monument to Matthew Shepard, the young gay man who was beaten to death in Wyoming five years ago yesterday....It will feature a picture of Shepard and will read, "Matthew Shepard; Entered Hell October 12, 1998, at Age 21; In Defiance of God's Warning: Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind; It is abomination. Leviticus 18:22." Charming, no?

Doesn't this belong in Kÿralessa's thread about Tales of Incomptence?

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kÿralessa:
For, if so, then he's leading the fight against graven images, and you Protestants and Piskies ought to be supporting him. After all, if you don't, that would mean you're supporting Judge Moore's side of things, which says we ought to have the Ten Commandments in every courthouse.

So which'll it be? [Big Grin]

I am on Judge Moore's side, thankyouverymuch. However, that doesn't mean I agree with the tactics proposed by Phelps in this matter. It is not necessary to agree with both or neither.

What is a Piskie?

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just figured it out! Now I feel dumb for not knowing right away. At first I thought it was something to do with fish.

--------------------
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kÿralessa:

Nah, don't like your choices, and therefore will not choose either!

This Presby is quite happy to have statues (although not of the Phred type), and doesn't mean that we need to have the 10 Commandments in every Court in the land...

Actually, I have changed my mind. I am happy with statues, and also very happy to have "Don't be a jerk" etc displayed in every court.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing that a sledgehammer won't cure.

(ahem, referring to the statue, of course)

I am getting to like acts of civil disobedience more and more as I grow older. Like large crowds spontaneously forming and destroying "art" works.

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What about the Shepard family? Is there anything they can do to block the use of their son's name and image?

I really hate stupid people, like this Fred Phelps! [Mad] I'm quoting a running buddy of mine when I say Stupid Should Hurt!

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

He is smart enough to get more attention than anyone ought to give him. It's not his intelligence (or lack of it), it is his hate-filled heart.

--------------------
-----------

Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand “hating hate”; but IMHO the idea of expecting only “good people” to be on “our team” is outdated.

My pastor is fond of saying “the devil loves disguise”, & if you don’t expect the devil (or the personification of evil) to be especially active in the church, you are underestimating evil.

Posts: 1157 | From: Pomo (basket) country | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fred Phelps has shit for brains and obviously has no understanding of the concept of grace. However, he doesn't make me want to not be a Christian, he makes me embarrassed that he's another American loon. Perhaps we can make a monument out of Phelps ... at the bottom of a lake.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
or, make a monument to Phelps and set it up in a park ... make sure there's a notice explaining how someone full of hate is Hell-bound ... maybe a quote from Scripture (say "Anyone who hates is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him", 1Jn3:15). I wonder whether he'll appreciate that.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
As much as I agree with the sentiments expressed here, it bothers me that some of the terms used to insult this horrible man are descriptive of parts of the female anatomy. What does this say about women? How did this get to be a custom?

It slipped out one day during a thread like this one. Sorry, Zeke, you are right.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh it probably became a custom around the same time as calling people Dickhead, Penis, and Ass.

These things are not about women, and vise versa. To put things in perspective, I know many men that are bitches and many women that are assholes.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

--------------------

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BarkingMad Geo:
quote:

Oh it probably became a custom around the same time as calling people Dickhead, Penis, and Ass.

These things are not about women, and vise versa. To put things in perspective, I know many men that are bitches and many women that are assholes.

So does this mean that when we build a monument for Fred, we can call him both a dickhead and a twat?
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

Actually the perfect monument would just be a dickhead.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would suggest that Phelps is unworthy of such biological distinction, and instead is more appropriately compared to smeg-encrusted shit.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
So does this mean that when we build a monument for Fred, we can call him both a dickhead and a twat?

Though that would be lying by omission ... while both these are true there are so many more words we can use as well.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote with RooK on this one...

If we do go Biological, how about "Waste of Spermatozoa?"

(p.s. Geo--re:Sledgehammer: get me a ticket, and I am there.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phelps makes me more sympathetic to the Gnostic outlook. This guy has to be worshipping the Demiurge(TM). He sure doesn't have a line on the True God.

[Waterworks] [Angel] [Waterworks]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

(p.s. Geo--re:Sledgehammer: get me a ticket, and I am there.)

Heh heh, this is how revolutions are started.....

We could form a Flash Mob to handle the situation.

I sincerely hope that all this talk from Fredshitbag is his usual bullshit rhetoric. But with him ya never know.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
If we do go Biological, how about "Waste of Spermatozoa?"

Erin once told some fuckwit, "You're one load your mama should have swallowed."
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

- Posted      Profile for Degs   Email Degs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was Fred at Plano? I'm sure he would find a warm welcome in Anglican Mainstream.

--------------------
The preest when he hath sayd and red all: he gyueth the benedyccion upon all those that be there present and then he doth tourne hym from the people retournynge thyther from whens he came.

Posts: 2388 | From: a land that I heard of once in a lullaby | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Degs:
Was Fred at Plano? I'm sure he would find a warm welcome in Anglican Mainstream.

That's a bit too far, I think. [Disappointed]

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned yesterday that Fred Phelps once upon a time was a significant civil-rights lawyer, doing much pro bono work. Is this right? If so, what on earth happened???

Ian

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I would suggest that Phelps is unworthy of such biological distinction, and instead is more appropriately compared to smeg-encrusted shit.

No, because shit serves a useful purpose, as when it is processed into fertilizer, a good thing.

Phelps is a walking cry for mental help. I truly think he's insane. [Frown]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trevor
Shipmate
# 3644

- Posted      Profile for Trevor   Author's homepage   Email Trevor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IanB:
I learned yesterday that Fred Phelps once upon a time was a significant civil-rights lawyer, doing much pro bono work. Is this right? If so, what on earth happened???

Ian

As far as I know, it is true. There is a document called Addicted to Hate which is a sort of biography.

--------------------
my joy has been transfinite

Posts: 196 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trevor, that is a sad story (also heroic,on the part of the son Mark, who started the truth-telling).

Thanks for the link. I could only stomach one chapter – do you know of any explanation for his hatred? Not that it would be either explanation or excuse; he is truly evil, to my mind.

Posts: 1157 | From: Pomo (basket) country | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BarkingMad Geo:
Actually the perfect monument would just be a dickhead.

Flacid, of course.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

I don't know, Bede, if you read enough of that thing you get the idea he was quite the billygoat.

--------------------
-----------

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
quote:
Originally posted by Degs:

That's a bit too far, I think. [Disappointed]

Sieg

Yea, Phelps would have to decide whether to side with the faction supporting female ordination or the side against it. It would take time away from his primary ministry of seriously annoying people. [Mad]

As a person that used to live 10 miles from the Wyoming border in the southwest corner South Dakota, and was known to worship on occasion in the same parish that was Shepard's home parish (I knew the rector at that time), sometimes this gets a bit close to raw emotion for me. I don't have to apply too much imagination to the situation to see it all in my mind. [Tear]

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eeGAD:
quote:

What about the Shepard family? Is there anything they can do to block the use of their son's name and image?

Someone took that photograph and I bet they didn't give Phelps permission to use it.

While ignoring Phelps is tempting, it does nothing for the distress of Matthew Shepard's family at this evil use of their son's name in the service of hate.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016