homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Phelps plans Shepard monument; Scot turns Buddhist (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Phelps plans Shepard monument; Scot turns Buddhist
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll take our city fuckwits over those heartland crazies any day, jlg. [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QuakerCub
Shipmate
# 4728

- Posted      Profile for QuakerCub   Email QuakerCub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The city fathers of Caspar, Wyoming voted yesterday to reject Phelps' "monument" to Matthew Shepard.

Praise God, from all blessings flow!

--------------------
Be still and know that I am God

Posts: 141 | From: Clearwater, FL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am afraid that decision will lead to litigation the city may lose. Perhaps they should eliminate the other monument and ban all private message monuments. (They invited this kind of crap by having a ten commandments monument there in the first place.)

I think it would be better to bog Phred down in bureaucracy away from the limelight. That way his tiny little brain might focus on some other form of lunacy before the monument came to fruition.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wm Duncan

Buoy tender
# 3021

- Posted      Profile for Wm Duncan   Email Wm Duncan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
City Council decides to create monument plaza -- Casper, Wyoming Star-Tribune article.

Wm Duncan

--------------------
I have overcome a fiercely anti-Catholic upbringing in order to attend Mass simply and solely to escape Protestant guitars. Why am I here? Who gave these nice Catholics guitars?
-- Annie Dillard

Posts: 1193 | From: about 30 km above the Juan de Fuca plate | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quote from the Wyoming Stsr Tribune:

quote:
However, neither Dan Barker of the Freedom From Religion Foundation nor Shirley Phelps-Roper of the Westboro Baptist Church shared Peryam's assessment of the city's chances in a court case defending the constitutionality of the historic plaza plan.

Why do I find it so ironic when libertarians and fundamentalists support each other? For short term gains, I suppose. Still, hardly an alliance made in heaven. [Roll Eyes]

It'll be really interesting to see if this does come to court what the outcome will be.

A slight aside - This debate has also made me realise that here are some clear benefits from an alliance between Church and State. For example, in the UK Church aided state schools are quite common place (in England and Wales, I don't know about Scotland.)

I believe such schools are invaluable in introducing children (many from non-Christian or non practising homes) to basic Christian values and teachings, alongside English, maths, science and the humanities. For example, such schools stick with the national curriculum and creationism is not on the agenda. These schools are also obliged to ensure children learn about other religions too. IMHO, a rational education based on Christian values provides an excellent foundation for the development of enlightened values (Christian or otherwise). It might have done wonders for the like of Phelps and his ilk.

J

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dorothea:
Why do I find it so ironic when libertarians and fundamentalists support each other? For short term gains, I suppose. Still, hardly an alliance made in heaven. [Roll Eyes]

Libertarianism and fundamentalism are far from mutually exclusive. In fact, there is a significant overlap between the two groups, at least in the US.

The rest of your post horrifies me so much that I'll need more time than I currently have to write a sufficiently scathing response.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dorothea:
A slight aside - This debate has also made me realise that here are some clear benefits from an alliance between Church and State. For example, in the UK Church aided state schools are quite common place (in England and Wales, I don't know about Scotland.)

There are also Quaker, Jewish, & Muslim schools in the same position.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheers Ken,
good point (doh)and R.C schools, even thought the C.E is the established church. And, in that case, I guess I have no real reason to support an established church.

J

--------------------

dorothea
# 4398

Scot wrote:
quote:
The rest of your post horrifies me so much that I'll need more time than I currently have to write a sufficiently scathing response.

Hee,hee! I'll look forward to it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016