homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » UM: Harry Potter and Witchcraft--One more time! (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: UM: Harry Potter and Witchcraft--One more time!
Toria
Apprentice
# 2100

- Posted      Profile for Toria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have just checked out the site recommended by Oriel, and it is much more balanced than most out there. Quite refreshing compared to the last few I've seen! (Don't get me started!)

Thanks
Toria

Posts: 18 | From: Hebrides, Scotland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Poet_of_Gold:
I have read articles on them, I have read excerpts from them, and I have had friends who love them dearly tell me what happens in the story. I have seen excerpts of the movie. Now, given these bits and pieces, you may say what you like, but I know enough of it to tell that my spirit is repulsed by the flavor of these books.

Now this strikes me as interesting, and I will try and explain why.

Many, many years there were some Sunday papers lying around a family sitting room. They made mention of the then current obscenity trial involving 'Lady Chatterley's Lover'. Our parents said: You MUST NOT read THAT story (but imposed no interdict on reading the other improving material contained in the average Sunday tabloid). They had received the impression, you see, that here was a book so powerfully corrupting that even reading about it would - well, they probably couldn't have said exactly, but clearly it would be something extremely bad.

It looks from here as if Harry Potter has for Poet of Gold the same frisson of evil, the same horror as of some unscopable wickedness.

But how exactly? Others - most others - find only an average-to-interesting children's book. (Or, in the case of DH Lawrence, Great Literature or rather boring books, depending).

The answer, it appears, is that WE invest these stories with their power. WE attribute to this or that author or book an ability to shock or terrify (or bring down the fabric of society as we know it).

This seems to be the true magic - not spells or potions, but the transformative power of imagination.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And yes...in today's Sunday Mail (not bought by me)'Why this man is the most dangerous children's author writing today'. A diatribe against Pullman as a sort of anti - CS Lewis setting out to corrupt our children and turn them into promiscuous liberal atheists. Also contains the intriguing suggestion that the Narnia books can somehow save those unhappy tots who have had the misfortune to be brought up by (shudder) liberal parents!

Good old Peter Hitchen

Actually this article bothered me but it was only until last night I worked out why …

The main difference between the books is that Lewis’ agenda is, pretty much, hidden. You can read the books and not have a clue about the religious symbolism as it is part of the story. Pullman’s books (well certainly the third which I am ploughing through at the moment) contains a lot of tub-thumping which detracts from the story. Mainly because it’s so blooming annoying and really slows things down!

Children will encounter the books at a completely different age so are likely to read both anyway. Lewis’ books are filed in the ordinary fiction section of most libraries and bookshops while Pullman’s are filed in the older readers section. Ordinary fiction is probably aimed at children between 8 – 11 while Pullman’s books are aimed at 12’s and overs.

And if Christian parents really don’t want their kids to read fiction by that nasty Mr Pullman, there is an alternative. The Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson (who wrote Shadowlands) which is fab.

Info Here!

Possibly a more interesting discussion would be why some people invest certain things / issues with such power ...

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tinfoil hat ON

Hmm... this discussion seems to be straying beyond the UM borders. Originally, I launched the thread with refs to more religious leaders claiming that HP was leading kids into the occult. The most recent discussion about witches and biblical references and so on are much more Purgatorial. So.. would folks like to continue the discussion in that vein? If so, What I'll do is is disconnect that part of this thread and replant it in Purgatory. Thoughts?

Tinfoil hat OFF

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gherkin
Apprentice
# 2238

- Posted      Profile for Gherkin         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just curious: Onion inadvertently gave JK Rowling the reputation of being a Satanist, I gather. Does anyone actually know if she professes a personal religious faith? "The Christian Century" gave her a positive write-up last Summer, but I don't recall if it mentioned her own beliefs. It must be difficult to be treated as the Anti-Christ just for having some fun writing books for kids.

As to people who have been involved with the occult, of course they see danger in more places than other people. As an ex-smoker I think I have more trouble going into places where people are smoking than my friends who never smoked, just because I get more tempted than they do.

Posts: 3 | From: Ocean Park, Washington, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gherkin:
As to people who have been involved with the occult, of course they see danger in more places than other people. As an ex-smoker I think I have more trouble going into places where people are smoking than my friends who never smoked, just because I get more tempted than they do.

Yep, makes sense! Just wondered what other people thought of that.

The thing that makes me really sad about this whole HP thing is that it seems to me that Christians who don't want anything to do with the books are missing a golden opportunity to engage with our culture. If we don't have the imagination or creativity to use, for example, the fact of Harry's mother dying to save him, and this then protecting him later in life (book 1 - Harry's encounter with Quirrel/Voldemort), as a way of helping to explain to our kids what Jesus did for them, I'm a bit worried. (I'm not, of course, saying that this is intended as an analogy for Christ's sacrifice for us. Doesn't stop me using it though.)

The devil can and will use anything to get at us and our kids. He'll use Harry Potter if we let him, and if we therefore have nothing to do with the books etc we might as well just hand them over to the devil for him to do with as he likes. Our question should be 'how do we use this as a tool for God'?

I had another point and it's disppeared from my brain now... that's always happenening to me....

cheers all (our cell group discussion on it is tonight - I may be back tomorrow in exasperated mode....)

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ruthie J
Apprentice
# 2291

- Posted      Profile for Ruthie J         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was 'advised' to come and look at this web-page by someone. (presumably because they share the views of most of you and see no problem with Potter, whereas I have serious issues wih it) I have to say that I am NOT converted to 'liking' or 'approving of' the books.

I have read the first 2 books and have also read a lot of the information and discussion going round Christian circles about them, and I am more and more convinced that they are not suitable books. I do believe they are dangerous. I am not saying they should be banned completely and I certainly disagree with book burning, BUT I do acknowledge the influence they CAN and DO have on our children. We need to read them WITH our children and discuss openly with them about why we disagree with the values and practises portrayed.

I work with kids in my Church on a weekly basis and have been involved in Christian kids work for the past 6/7 years. I have also worked in secular situations as well as specifically Christian ones. I agree that we can sometimes underestimate the discernment kids can have, but that doesn't mean: all kids are like that: CHILDREN ARE INFLUENCED BY FICTION whether you like to admit it or not.

I am not going to get into a huge discussion about Potter cos it's all been said many many times before: but I just want to challenge you to think about who you would like your own children to have as role-models. Children do look to both reality and fiction for their role-models and for many kids: Potter is it, for others it's Sabrina, for others still it's a footballer, pop-star or TV presenter. Do these people (real or otherwise) really portray the values we want our children to grow up accepting?

We can discuss these things til we are blue in the face (and discussing and analysing is good and proper) but that is worth nothing unless we ourselves set about providing a GOOD role-model with CHRISTIAN values for our kids to follow.

I was at a children's ministry conference last week and the speaker at one of the seminars made a very good point, with which I finish: IT IS CULTURE WHICH SHAPES OUR CHILDREN'S LIVES, ATTITUDES AND VALUES. CULTURE BECOME DANGEROUS AND DETRIMENTAL WHEN THINGS WHICH ARE DANGERUS AND DETRIMENTAL BECOME 'NORMAL'. (Therefore it is not the publishing of Potter books which is dangerous: it is the normalisation and desensitisation of these things which affects our children.)

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellant post, Ruthie. Thanks for joining us!
I think you've really hit the nail on the head in terms of how most of us want the Potter books handled--read them with your children and discuss them. Parents really should be doing that with everything there kids are being exposed to--watching television with them, checking (and spot-listening) to the music they listen to, and reading the books they read.
Again though, let's keep this thread for discussion of the brou-ha-ha surrounding the Potter books.

--------------------
Siegfried

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erm - generally speaking, I think Harry Potter is a darned good role-model for children of that age. He has a well developed sense of right and wrong, loyalty and courage.

Much better than footballers, who are frequently, it seems, no more than grown-up thugs.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wholeheartedly agree, Karl!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yes actually, i am very pleased that my daughter seems to have taken hermione to heart.

exactly what do you object to, ruthie?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fibonacci's Number
Shipmate
# 2183

- Posted      Profile for Fibonacci's Number     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree - the kids (and the "good" adults) in the HP books are great role models. (Admittedly the children don't always behave utterly angelically, but they wouldn't be remotely sympathetic or believable if they did.)

And, as someone mentioned earlier, there is arguably much more danger in books which imply that getting a boyfriend/girlfriend/makeover is the ultimate way to find fulfilment, than in books which really challenge children with the reality of good and evil.

We probably need to guard against suggesting that these books are promoting specifically Christian values, because they aren't based in a Christian framework. However, Ruthie - is your argument that we should only allow children to read specifically Christian books, so that this is their only influence in learning to deal with the world?

Fib

--------------------
We can't do anything about the world until capitalism crumbles. In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves.
Banksy,
Banging Your Head Against a Brick Wall

Posts: 267 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

What I would stress to the children is that the magic is only story magic. It doesn't really work. Leave it there, rather than going into real-world occult/magic practices. Wait for that discussion until they bring it up.

Sieg

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
I think you've really hit the nail on the head in terms of how most of us want the Potter books handled--read them with your children and discuss them. Parents really should be doing that with everything there kids are being exposed to--watching television with them, checking (and spot-listening) to the music they listen to, and reading the books they read.

Absolutely. The discussion I've mentioned took place last night, and there was a lot of discussion about how some of the Harry Potter sites on the web have links to wicca and pagan sites, and that it is quite easy to start off in the fiction, and end up in the fact. I can understand that some will therefore feel more comfortable keeping their kids away from Harry Potter altogether, but surely you could also say - don't let your child have unsupervised access to the internet. (Given some of the stuff that's out there, I'd say that anyway)

This is the point I forgot in my last post - above! It is harder to commit to spending time with your children checking on them on the internet, reading their books with them, listening to their music, than to simply ban them. And I think that sometimes the knee-jerk 'ban this!' reactions are to do with an unwillingness to confront issues as much as concern for kids.

An example of this in discussion yesterday: I was asking about consistency in our attitudes and about how sometimes people have a problem with Harry Potter type stuff, but no problem with their kids watching violence and then playing at soldiers or fighting or what-have-you. Apparently, playing with guns is different 'because you can't stop them'.

I will now dismount from my high horse and come back humbled when I have kids of my own.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
SteveS
Apprentice
# 2297

- Posted      Profile for SteveS   Author's homepage   Email SteveS       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two points:

Two of us we anaylsing the plot of the film at homegroup a few weeks ago. So what do we have:

A special child who evil could not kill shortly after birth.

The unconditional love of Harry's parents.

Ron's self sacrfice so that Harry could go on to defeat evil.

The fact that Harry only got the stone because he didn't want to use it for his own ends.

Altogether a very moral story with a heavy christian influence?

I believe the more we sanatise our childrens upbringing the more likely they are to investigate these things (in a more serious way) later in life. Whereas if we represent witchcraft etc as fiction/fantasy they will be far more skeptical about the whole thing from the start (although we need to be careful not to trivialise the occult).

I await responses with interest...

Steve

--------------------
Smoke me a kipper...

Posts: 9 | From: At my desk | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveS:
Whereas if we represent witchcraft etc as fiction/fantasy they will be far more skeptical about the whole thing from the start (although we need to be careful not to trivialise the occult).

You speak as if being "skeptical about the whole thing" is itself a good thing, though you do make a good point about not trivialising the occult either. But why the former? I think our ultra-skeptical era has been horribly damaged by its skepticism. (Admittedly the questions of (1) what supernatural things we accept or are open to accepting, (2) what supernatural things are good, bad or mixed, and (3) how we should raise children regarding such matters, are all more matters for Purgatory -- but not all of us have the same views here, not only about Harry Potter, but about the supernatural, what does and doesn't exist, and what is and isn't forbidden.)

--------------------

SteveS
Apprentice
# 2297

- Posted      Profile for SteveS   Author's homepage   Email SteveS       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Skeptical wasn't a word I was 100% happy with in the context of what I was trying to say, but couldn't think of anything better.

To clarify I think 'skeptical' in sense of appreciating that there are dangers and being questioning about what is a threat and what isn't.

To answer your questions (even though we are not in purgatory).

1) If it can't be explained by the laws of nature I accept it as supernatural (isn't that the definition of the word?)

2) If it brings glory to God then it is good, otherwise not (although there is probably some grey here).

3) With God's help the best we can.

Steve

--------------------
Smoke me a kipper...

Posts: 9 | From: At my desk | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by SteveS:
To clarify I think 'skeptical' in sense of appreciating that there are dangers and being questioning about what is a threat and what isn't.

Oh! Okay. I misunderstood you and thought you meant a completely different kind of skepticism...

--------------------

Poet_of_Gold
Shipmate
# 2071

- Posted      Profile for Poet_of_Gold     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously if someone is determined to make what they're doing right because he or she really wants to do it, excuses can be made until it is rationalized as good.

I am not saying children should be sheltered to the point that they have no street smarts, no sea legs, no guts. I am, however, saying that our children need not be steeped in occultic nonsense. If one is to err, why not err on the side of safety instead of taking that chance?

Posts: 204 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And those who are convinced that they see evil will used any means to justify themselves and their belief.

I find it rather worrying that Poet of Gold has only posted 4 times on the Ship and only about Harry Potter. And this from someone who has not actually read one of the books. Reading extracts, or hearing other's synopsis, or people's articles will not give a correct impression of the books as they really are.

If your spirit is so troubled by the books that you are unable to read them, then may I suggest that your best course of action would be to remove yourself from them completely.

It seems that it is developing into an itch that needs to be scratched. Stop seeing snippets of the movie, stop reading snatches from the books, and stop reading articles and reviews. If it really is evil then flee from it. Do not polute yourself.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am, however, saying that our children need not be steeped in occultic nonsense. If one is to err, why not err on the side of safety instead of taking that chance

Hmmm... 'safety'....
Now who do you think has done more harm to children over the past century... occultists or the Christian church?

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

quote:
Originally posted by Cusanus:
Hmmm... 'safety'....
Now who do you think has done more harm to children over the past century... occultists or the Christian church?

Tinfoil hat FIRMLY ON
We are not going to open that particular discussion on this board. It is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand and is way beyond the bounds of this forum.

Tinfoil hat OFF

edited to correct spelling

[ 11 February 2002: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
Siegfried

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If your spirit is so troubled by the books that you are unable to read them, then may I suggest that your best course of action would be to remove yourself from them completely.

It seems that it is developing into an itch that needs to be scratched. Stop seeing snippets of the movie, stop reading snatches from the books, and stop reading articles and reviews. If it really is evil then flee from it. Do not polute yourself.

I would echo that ... CS Lewis said that either people would end up dimissing the devil completely or end up being way, way, way too interested in what he was getting up to. If HP bothers you that much - then stop reading about it, posting about it etc. If you want a Biblical justification then try - "If your right hand causes you to sin, then cut it off". Have a look around the rest of the site and avoid this thread.

I've no problem with people disliking HP and not wishing to read it themselves. I do have a problem with people denouncing JK Rowling as a Satanist etc and insisting that, because they don't like it, no one else should either.

HP is essentially a soft target - I'm more worried about the books that tell kids that they're nothing if they're not rich / thin / wearing the right clothes / have a boy or girl friend / good at <whatever>. But for some strange reason we keep very quiet about those. [Don't get me started about Barbie .... ]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

Tinfoil rebuke accepted Siegfried. My comment, though, is at the root of why I find this debate, and 'Christian' objections to HP, so appalling.

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it true that the next book in the series is entitled, "Harry Potter Milks the Great Cash Cow"?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since when is it JK Rowling's fault that she writes popular books?

Does it occur to any of the self-righteous incinerators that there is a reason why more of her than, say, the productions of the 'Christian' presses are read? And it is not anything to do with the subtle wiles of Satan, but a lot to do with a longing for an other, wilder and richer dimension beyond the mundane?

They are not the greatest literature in the world, but demonising - or knocking - them is to me a way of ignoring the most important part of our being.

UCF (Unusually Cross Firenze)

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Slavophile
Apprentice
# 140

- Posted      Profile for Slavophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Since when is it JK Rowling's fault that she writes popular books?

Does it occur to any of the self-righteous incinerators that there is a reason why more of her than, say, the productions of the 'Christian' presses are read? And it is not anything to do with the subtle wiles of Satan, but a lot to do with a longing for an other, wilder and richer dimension beyond the mundane?

They are not the greatest literature in the world, but demonising - or knocking - them is to me a way of ignoring the most important part of our being.

UCF (Unusually Cross Firenze)

Oh, well, you know, even administrators can live under bridges and try to scare poor billy goats.

--------------------
"You perform all the difficult religious duties; you fast, you watch, you suffer; but you will not endure the easy ones--you do not love."
-Abbot Peter the Venerable to Bernard of Clairvaux

Posts: 14 | From: The high desert | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Poet_of_Gold
Shipmate
# 2071

- Posted      Profile for Poet_of_Gold     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slavophone:

Thank you for your marvellous post. It is true that the most magnificent things are the smallest things, those least noticed and often hardest to do.

I do not hate anyone who reads this series. I merely desire them to exercise caution. The enemy mixes a little truth with every lie, and we must not think ourselves immune from his traps, but must rather pray and ask for God's wisdom and protection.

Fibonacci's Number
Shipmate
# 2183

- Posted      Profile for Fibonacci's Number     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The enemy mixes a little truth with every lie, and we must not think ourselves immune from his traps, but must rather pray and ask for God's wisdom and protection.[/QB]

Absolutely.

Surely this applies to all books (and indeed all life). OK, it would be a problem if our defence of the HP books led us to neglect a Christian response to the issues involved. However, I think debates like this are evidence that people are engaging as Christians with the issues in Harry Potter. It'd be more useful (as some organisations are already doing) to extend this across our whole entertainment culture.

--------------------
We can't do anything about the world until capitalism crumbles. In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves.
Banksy,

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh to Hell with this paranoia.

Look. HP is a harmless children's book. End of story. It doesn't matter a toss compared with real issues - poverty, aids, injustice, fair trade, but it's got those who are prone to paranoid spirituality with their heads right up their backsides.

How many children have died of starvation since we started debating these books? 30,000 a day isn't it? That's where your Satan is rejoicing, not on kids' bookshelves. About this, most Christians, as the great Tony Compolo said, don't give a shit. On the other hand, since this is the Ship and 'shit' is perfectly normal, I'll say that most Christians don't give a flying fuck.

But a story about a boy becoming a fairytale wizard - that's really important isn't it?

Get a reality check.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
amen, karl. i think thats what i've been trying to say. of all the rediculous things to get excited about, harry potter for crying out loud!!! of all the innocent, harmless things... while people are dying from real evil caused by real people, every day, every moment...

grrrr......

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Well, while I profoundly disagree with the notion that the (excellent in my opinion) Harry Potter books are "dangerous" in themselves -- indeed I actually go quite far in what I consider acceptable by some people's standards (my oblique references to Certain Paranormal Subjects are not meant as jokes, though they may have humour in them) -- and wholeheartedly agree that all the horrible things you mention are (1) horrible, (2) ignored by many Christians in unacceptable ways, etc. --

At the same time I'd say that I believe black magic, and spellcasting in general as I understand it, to be extremely dangerous, terribly immoral and forbidden, really destructive (at least to the people involved in it) and such. And what some people are (I believe mistakenly) worried about is that temptations to forbidden supernatural power will come to their children through these books. That is a serious matter indeed. The fact that other bad things are more visible, yet horribly ignored, by many (perhaps most) Christians in the West doesn't negate the other.

(It could be argued that technically, the root temptation in both of these situations (real or imagined) is not magic (also real or imagined) -- but the temptation to power, full stop. Are not greed, power-hungriness and the like largely responsible for those crises you mention, Karl? And if we are worried about messages we send children, isn't the way things go in this world -- suggesting to them that they need to grow up to make as much money as they can, and the cultural attitudes behind it -- the root of what would tempt someone to forbidden magic in the first place?)

I think many Christians who worry about the Potter books, or role-playing games, or any number of related "magic-oriented" things, are looking at it the wrong way. They really are treating the books as "forbidden knowledge," and the "information" in them, as the dangerous thing. The dangerous thing, I believe, is the desire to be in that kind of control, whether you use magic(k) or money, and I believe that is the root sin of forbidden traffic with supernatural entities -- going to the Devil is practically a side-effect. If they could do it (and some try to, whether with a more religious coating or not) via God they would.

And many do it via simple, basic, earthly things like money -- and millions starve as a result.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

granting the truth of a great deal of what you say, chastmastr, the point here is that the harry potter books actually are teaching exactly that point of not reaching after power and money. i mean look at the main characters.... dumbledore, who was offered the power of being minister of magic, but turned it down because he prefers being what he is. the cheerful, happy family of the weasleys, never with enough money, as oppposed to the power-mad, rich malfoys, or the grasping of the dursleys. in fact, the power hunger of the great villan voldemort himself, as opposed to the humble harry.

thats what annoys me so much about all of this. in reality, the harry potter books take such a moral stand for goodness, and justice, and right, its such a sick irony for them to be denounced as evil that i almost think that if satan is involved in this anywhere, he's at the root of the efforts to denounce them.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

Nicolew, CM and Karl - if this was a pub, I'd be buying you all a pint

Tubbs

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

quote:
Originally posted by Slavophone:

Oh, well, you know, even administrators can live under bridges and try to scare poor billy goats.

And your point is?

--------------------
Siegfried

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

quote:
I do not hate anyone who reads this series. I merely desire them to exercise caution. The enemy mixes a little truth with every lie, and we must not think ourselves immune from his traps, but must rather pray and ask for God's wisdom and protection.

I would certainly hope you don't hate anyone for reading HP! I don't think that's even been mentioned. As for the rest of your comments, as the posters since you have pointed out, we should always be cautious. And, although I've refrained from stating my own opinion, I think it's paranoia pure and simple and a preoccupation with the occult that is leading many otherwise sensible Christians to overreact to HP. C'mon people. Let's worry about real evil. Priests molesting children. Ministers preaching intolerance. Homeless people dying on our streets while we are warm and well fed.

--------------------
Siegfried

Fibonacci's Number
Shipmate
# 2183

quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
It doesn't matter a toss compared with real issues - poverty, aids, injustice, fair trade, but it's got those who are prone to paranoid spirituality with their heads right up their backsides.

quote:
Let's worry about real evil. Priests molesting children. Ministers preaching intolerance. Homeless people dying on our streets while we are warm and well fed.

Yeah OK, on the one hand I couldn't agree more - all the paranoia about HP is way, way out of proportion.

But, I'm a bit suspicious of this line of argument. It reminds me of people who say "ah, but think what the people in Afghanistan are going through" when you just want to talk about your bad day at work.

I mean, it is perfectly valid to discuss the Harry Potter books and have an opinion about them, or to be concerned about them. That's what this thread is for, isn't it? Otherwise, we'd only have threads for discussing so-called "real issues".

It's just a question of not getting it out of all proportion. Since we're only discussing HP in this thread, I don't feel qualified to judge whether contributors are personally over-preoccupied with HP or whether they're just thoroughly involved in this discussion.

F

--------------------
Banksy,

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to elaborate on what Chastmastr wrote above.

I am reminded of something C.S. Lewis wrote--I think it was in his autobiography. He discussed being afflicted with the terrible temptation to tip his hat to the moon while walking at night.

He referred to it as "vestigial paganism" or something to that effect. If I recall the passage correctly, he discussed how terrible a sin it would be for him to do so, because it would be an homage to or worship of an unworthy object.

So, to expand on Chastmastr's thesis, the danger lies not only in the lust for power, but also in the things we give power to. The things we allow to control us.

And it's the same thing, isn't it? The locus of satanic power is the willingness to obtain power through consorting with forces that will eventually overmaster and enslave us.

And I don't think we necessarily have to be talking about the occult here. Lord knows there are enough addictions and fascinations out there--without making Faustian bargains--to drag us into hell.

tomb

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Slavophile
Apprentice
# 140

- Posted      Profile for Slavophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And your point is?

That an administrator (i.e. Dyfrig) was behaving a little like a troll (see his post immediately above), by making an unfunny joke about J.K. Rowling's intentions in a forum likely to be frequented by people who like a certain thing (see Firenze's post) written by her. I'm not trying to bring up charges or anything, but can't I make my own unfunny jokes?

As for Harry Potter, my opinion is pretty well-summed up by the review by Mark Jacobs, professor of English as Wheaton College. Indeed, the attractive thing about the books, for a jaded old SF reader like myself, is their moral universe. It may be a little unambiguous and heavy-handed at times, but as is mentioned in the above review, none of the children, including Harry himself, are <i>inevitably</i> good. They all make mistakes, incorrect choices and, quite frankly, decisions which are immoral in their universe. Sometimes they get away without detection by adults, sometimes they don't, but they always have to deal with the consequences of their actions, good or bad.

I frankly don't see what all the fuss is about, really. While I believe in the supernatural, as a Christian I suppose that's obvious, the magic in the books bears so little resemblance to the occult that the whole idea makes me chuckle a bit. Even if it did, I'd be much more interested in the moral universe that the characters exist in if I were deciding whether to get my nieces a copy or not. Then again, I played AD&D so I guess I've already been desensitized to the snares of Satan in fantasy literature.

[UBB is your friend]

[ 15 February 2002: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
"You perform all the difficult religious duties; you fast, you watch, you suffer; but you will not endure the easy ones--you do not love."
-Abbot Peter the Venerable to Bernard of Clairvaux

Posts: 14 | From: The high desert | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
for the record, i thought dyfrig's joke was very amusing.

(and he's not an administrator... he may have designs on the thrones of lambeth and heaven, but he's not at that stage yet...)

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

quote:
Originally posted by Fibonacci's Number:
But, I'm a bit suspicious of this line of argument. It reminds me of people who say "ah, but think what the people in Afghanistan are going through" when you just want to talk about your bad day at work...I mean, it is perfectly valid to discuss the Harry Potter books and have an opinion about them, or to be concerned about them. That's what this thread is for, isn't it? Otherwise, we'd only have threads for discussing so-called "real issues".

I am not saying we shouldn't discuss it. It is worthy of discussion. I'm saying that the people who are terrified of the 'evil' in Harry Potter are ignoring the true evil in the world.

Sieg

frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Slavophone,
here is a helpful guide to knowing who does what on the boards.

Under everyone's user name on the left of a post is their status and member number. You are an Apprentice (i.e. still new), most people are a Shipmate, a handful have Administrator after their names. Dyfrig is not one of them.

Hosts (like Dyfrig, Siegfried, myself) have the word Host under their name only on the board which they are responsible for.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid, Slavophone, that you will have to direct your comments to Mr Hugh Dennis (son of the bishop of St Edmundsbury, IIRC) c/o the British Broadcasting Corporation, from whom that joke was nicked.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*Rapturous standing ovation of one for brother Karl.*

(The point is, Fibonacci's Number, that if you were claiming your bad day at work was an attack of Satanic evil, you'd deserve the comment.)

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fibonacci's Number
Shipmate
# 2183

quote:
Originally posted by SteveTom:
(The point is, Fibonacci's Number, that if you were claiming your bad day at work was an attack of Satanic evil, you'd deserve the comment.)

Beautifully put

Like I said, it's a question of priorities. And to those who feel that this is part of a global witchcraft/occult movement, well, to them it is a priority. I disagree with them, but I would defend to the death their right to voice their anxieties. As Siegfried said, so long as it isn't to the neglect of "real evil".

.....Real evil, though...hmmm. I was interested to note that pretty much all the examples of "real evil" that Siegfried & Karl gave were "social evils" - poverty, injustice, fair trade, homelessness etc. Whereas those who worry about the occult, along with many conservative Christians, are equally if not more concerned with "personal evils". I know churches have focused on personal evil to the neglect of social evil for centuries. But there has to be a proper balance between the two. And of course they are interrelated.

The reason I objected to the "let's focus on real evil" argument was that it seemed to be implying that social evils are the "real" ones and personal evils, including experimenting with the occult, of little comparative importance.

Once again - I don't think for a moment that HP readers are dabbling in the occult. But for those who do think so, it's a serious issue and deserves to be treated as such.

Fib

--------------------
Banksy,

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

f's number:

quote:
But for
those who do think so, it's a serious issue and deserves to be treated as such.

serious question... why? at what point does silliness reach the point where we can simply say, this is just to crazy to take seriously? because frankly, i think this whole harry potter thing has reached that point. i can't take it seriously any more.

--------------------

Spong

Ship's coffee grinder
# 1518

- Posted      Profile for Spong     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig:
I'm afraid, Slavophone, that you will have to direct your comments to Mr Hugh Dennis (son of the bishop of St Edmundsbury, IIRC) c/o the British Broadcasting Corporation, from whom that joke was nicked.

The same Hugh Dennis who, this week, referred TWICE to the 'Book of RevelationS'...

--------------------
Spong

The needs of our neighbours are the needs of the whole human family. Let's respond just as we do when our immediate family is in need or trouble. Rowan Williams

Posts: 2173 | From: South-East UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Poet_of_Gold
Shipmate
# 2071

I agree that there are more issues to attend to than the influx of negative input to our minds and those of impressionable youngsters. And HP is not the only source of possibly deceitful input. Many sources urge us to see only this life and to ignore the eternal. Many sources try to get us to gamble away what's everlasting for a single serving of soul-rotting candy.

And if I could reach out and touch a life so far away, I would. Just now all I can do is pray for them, which I do. And I do hope someone can help the African children who have sleeping sickness, and who have to face a treatment that often kills them and always causes them extreme pain, namely the injection of a caustic substance into their veins. (Deep sigh)

Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

quote:
C'mon people. Let's worry about real evil. Priests molesting children. Ministers preaching intolerance. Homeless people dying on our streets while we are warm and well fed.

Errmmm... Siegfried, that was the point I was trying to make in the post you rebuked me for. I obviously let the chance to make a sweeping statement overcome me!

--------------------

diorboy
Shipmate
# 2348

- Posted      Profile for diorboy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have the time to read all of the messages in this thread, but I was disappointed to read the following by 'Wood' -

"or, worse, you get hamfisted morons like Frank Peretti or the two guys who wrote the Left Behind books who impose their own (well dodgy) doctrine on their fiction because they don't see fiction as symbolic narrative"

Whether you agree with their doctrines and philosophies of life or not, it doesn't warrant such an attack.

Posts: 64 | From: Newcastle Upon Tyne | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016