homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » UM: Harry Potter and Witchcraft--One more time! (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: UM: Harry Potter and Witchcraft--One more time!
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and now time for the other side:

this article is about books regarding harry potter as a christian symbol.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Poet_of_Gold:
J.K. Rowling is a hack. Her morals are ambiguous. Her characters lie, steal, break rules, make fun of overweight people, cheat, put self above others, seek revenge, practice divination, and swear. The children's best friend is a drunk. The kids who are good are painted as sticks-in-the-mud.

Harry's magic and Voldemort's magic come from the same source. Harry is only mildy evil compared to Voldemort's being horrendousely evil, therefore by this comparison Harry is seen as "good".

Sirius Black broke a guy's leg to get Harry away from Hogwarts so he could tell him his story. You'd think he could find a better way than to harm someone. These books are full of violence. They are gratifying and exciting, but sin is not healthy under any context, though for a season it may be pleasurable just as the candy you overeat on till you have a stomachache.

I believe these books give God a stomachache. He wants His people to be pure, to keep their minds free from sin.

If there were even a one percent chance these books were against the will of God, would you read them?

Doesn't the Bible say to love your enemies, and that even sinners love those who love them?

When Harry spares Pettigrew's life he is sorry later, rather than being rewarded for his mercy. Yet the kids are commonly rewarded for lying and stealing, when there should be stern consequences.

[RANT ON]
I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but IMNSHO this argument is ridiculous. It's bad logic and shabby reasoning; mean-spirited, petty and blind.

J.K. Rowling is a hack.
Courtesy of dictionary.com: "Hack," A writer hired to produce routine or commercial writing....To produce (written material, for example), especially hastily or routinely: hacked out a weekly column.

Frankly, every popular author is a hack in terms of writing something he hopes will sell, and sell well. No one writes books to have them park on store shelves. While not everyone likes JKR's genre of fantasy, she's not a hack writer in any sense of a writer producing inferior, hackneyed or poorly-written work. I'm a writer and I've read all four of her books. IMO her writing is certainly professional and competent. Her ideas and execution are fresh and competently done, her dialogue is realistic sounding without stumbling into a morass of dialect, her characters are interesting and just enough out of the stereotypes littering the field to not be two-dimensional cartoons.

Her morals are ambiguous.
Do you know her, then? At the minimum, you've had personal dealings with her so you can state this bald accusation in perfect confidence? Or, are you God, or at least a mind-reader? If not, then who the hell gave you the ability and right to scan her soul like a daily newspaper and pronounce judgment on it? How the frick do you dare to presume to pop off the top of her head and give us the state of her soul? "Her morals are ambiguous" my ass!

Tell me, do you think Anthony Hopkins is actually a lunatic cannibal? Do you think Harrison Ford flies to the studio lots in the Millenium Falcon? Is Charleton Heston really Moses? Actors often portray characters who espouse ideas and behave in ways the actor would never do in real life. Authors must write characters in the same vein, those fictional people who do things, say things, believe things the author finds abhorrent or just disagreeable.

Given that writers must create different characters, some of whom don't mirror the writer's personal convictions, how can you presume to judge her morals based on her books?

Her characters lie, steal, break rules, make fun of overweight people, cheat, put self above others, seek revenge, practice divination, and swear. The children's best friend is a drunk. The kids who are good are painted as sticks-in-the-mud.

O yes, this is how. Gee, too bad none of these characters entered your examples:

+ King David, who lusted after Bathsheba and arranged to have her husband betrayed in combat and killed.

+ The prophet Elisha, in 2 Kings 23-25:
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD . Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths. 25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.

+ Read 1 Samuel 15 for a nice little morality play. Here a bon mot:
"Then Samuel said, "Bring me Agag king of the Amalekites." Agag came to him confidently, thinking, "Surely the bitterness of death is past." 33 But Samuel said, "As your sword has made women childless, so will your mother be childless among women."

And Samuel put Agag to death before the LORD at Gilgal."

Using the same standard you judge the HP books by, the entire OT is a panoply of murder, rape, betrayal, slavery, genocide, robbery, rebellion, oppression, infidelity, selfishness, manipulation, deceit, war, arrogance, destruction and assorted unhappinesses, yet I don't see you painting it as you do HP. (And yes, I believe the Bible is the word of God, I just don't claim to understand it completely.) Using your logic, you cannot but act hypocritically if you do not condemn the OT as you do the HP books.

BTW, Hagrid is not a drunk. He gets drunk a few times, but he's no bottle-crawler.

Harry's magic and Voldemort's magic come from the same source. Harry is only mildy evil compared to Voldemort's being horrendousely evil, therefore by this comparison Harry is seen as "good".

Yes, and using the same analogy as above, King David was only "mildly evil" while the Philistines were "horrendously evil," no?

Let's see here, Harry as "mildly evil," eh? Well, Harry is loyal to his friends and protects them as he can, even risking his own life repeatedly; he tries to stop evil events from happening, he bears up under enormous personal strains, he refrains from killing Wormtongue (who richly deserves it), he cares well for his pets, he refuses to inform on friends, he's generous with his money, he refuses to "keep score" with his friends about money, he is courageous in the face of true evil, he's noble in victory....Yeah, Harry is "mildly evil" indeed! <Smacks self on forehead> Why didn't I see it?

Sirius Black broke a guy's leg to get Harry away from Hogwarts so he could tell him his story. You'd think he could find a better way than to harm someone. These books are full of violence. They are gratifying and exciting, but sin is not healthy under any context, though for a season it may be pleasurable just as the candy you overeat on till you have a stomachache.

Full of violence? Nope, not at all. Have you read Mickey Spillane? I have; there's "full of violence" if you want it. Ever watch "Survivor" or "Weakest Link"? There the violence is not physical, but emotional, and it's a real treat.</irony> [Flaming] Or, just to drag out this example and beat it some more, read 1 and 2 Kings, 1 and 2 Chronicles. Like a frickin' primeval soap opera, that is. A man kills his concubine, cuts up her body and sends the pieces 'round in what passed for the mail.

Need a more contemporary example? Let's not stop too short, shall we? We humans arrest the innocent Son of God, beat the shit out of Him, lash Him until He was hamburger, shove a crown of thorns down onto His head, then strip him down to His diaper and nail Him hand and foot to a cross for all the world to see and to mock. Yeah, no violence there....

Where do you get off equating sin to JKR's books? Her characters are sometimes sinful, as are we all, because they act like humans, which we are. If you write about people, then you write about sin. Period. People are imperfect, people sin. People can also be redeemed. If you write about people who don't sin, then you write about robots or can openers.

I believe these books give God a stomachache. He wants His people to be pure, to keep their minds free from sin.

OK, this is your right to believe what you like, and I support your right to do so. This is the first paragraph in this post where, IMHO, you are writing honestly. I wonder if you dislike these books not so much because you fear them, but because they present a viewpoint outside your experience of the usual?

If there were even a one percent chance these books were against the will of God, would you read them?

This is a complete straw-man argument. I ask you, then: If there were even a one percent chance these books were *in* the will of God, would you still refuse to read them?

Doesn't the Bible say to love your enemies, and that even sinners love those who love them? Yes, it does. But tell me: Does loving your enemies mean you bear no defense against them? When Nehemiah was rebuilding the walls of Jersualem, why did he oppose Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite in their attempts to at first ridicule him and then to derail his rebuilding efforts and then, finally, to kill him? If Nehemiah was to love his enemies, wouldn't he have let Sanballat and Tobiah have their way with his rebuilding efforts?

When Harry spares Pettigrew's life he is sorry later, rather than being rewarded for his mercy. Yet the kids are commonly rewarded for lying and stealing, when there should be stern consequences.

Have you received stern consequences for every lie you told and every theft you committed? I know I've not received full punishment for every sin like those I've committed, and actually I'm quite relieved! God gives me grace every day. He also lets my actions bear fruit, so I reap the consequences enough as it is.

From your post, ISTM you want perfect kids behaving perfectly. The bad guys would be really bad, and the good guys would defeat them without using any violence or in any way sullying their perfection. Not even Jack Chick writes *that* egregiously!

You don't have to like the HP books or JKR (God knows I can't stomach Frank Peretti's books!) or even approve of them or what they contain. But I do encourage you to consider the possibility there is real life beyond your boundaries, and that at least some of what you've been taught as to what is "godly" has been inaccurate.

[/RANT OFF]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be most interested to know which classic English novels the one trick pony known as 'Poet Of Gold' would not disapprove of?

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Poet_of_Gold
Shipmate
# 2071

- Posted      Profile for Poet_of_Gold     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Practicing any false religion constitutes spiritual adultery against God. Be it Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Paganism, or modern day witchcraft (a.k.a. Wicca), it is still sin.

Learning about it and having adventures within its beliefs and recognizing them as even temporarily true can tempt children to do much worse with their lives. Many have actually become witches based on the influence of these books.

Wouldn't it be better if a Christian series could be written that was so much loved and adored by millions of children? Books that glorified everything that God admires and everything that is good and worth emulating?

Humans aren't perfect, but we are supposed to strive toward that goal instead of remaining corrupted as we are. In life we can either become more corrupted or begin the cure and walk in the footsteps of our Saviour.

5:48: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

19:21: Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Selling all you have can also come as a spiritual interpretation: giving all you've got for God may also mean that you give up a little bit of supposed fun because your loyalty to God is greater.

:12:1: Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Posts: 204 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to a 'Christian' talk on Libraries once. The first speaker produced a list of books (including the Narnia series) and went on and on and on about how bad they were, giving children nightmares, wrong ideas etc etc. We were all sitting there thinking 'Get real!' and some of the professional librarians walked out. Then the next speaker got up and put a long, long list on the OHP of murders, blood and gore, sexual proclivities, lying, cheating, stealing, etc. She said, 'Would you allow children access to this kind of thing in books?' after seeing rows of shaking heads, she then said, 'I got all these examples from the bible'.
Very clever! [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Poet_of_Gold
Shipmate
# 2071

- Posted      Profile for Poet_of_Gold     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The argument that the Bible also has some risque material in it does not support the study of witchcraft or any foreign religion. In the Bible those who sin are paid out for their sin, either in this life or the next. Reading about the stumbles of those who went before us helps prevent stumbling in our own spiritual walk because of having lived a bit of their lives vicariously. Those who did well are examples to imitate. Those who did poorly are lessons to be read in fear. Did not David repent and weep bitterly over his sin? Was not his infant son taken away from him and whisked into heaven for that? This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Harry Potter books teach kids that bad kids get glory, that demon spirits are welcome in their lives, and that as long as it comes out okay it doesn't matter how you got there. All false.

If they must feed on fantasy, let the works of Lewis and Tolkien present a much better view on the world and life in general. Nobility and adherance to the rules are throughout those esteemed gifts to humankind. May God bless them and all who read them.

David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
J.K. Rowling is a hack. Her morals are ambiguous. Her characters lie, steal, break rules, make fun of overweight people, cheat, put self above others, seek revenge, practice divination, and swear. The children's best friend is a drunk. The kids who are good are painted as sticks-in-the-mud.

They ride brooms.

quote:

They ride brooms.

quote:

Did I mention that they ride brooms?

quote:

Doesn't the Bible say to love your enemies, and that even sinners love those who love them?

And, what's more, they ride brooms.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Harry Potter books teach kids that bad kids get glory...

Have you read the story of the blessing of Jacob and Esau?

Don't seem to recall Jacob getting his just deserts for that one.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Learning about it and having adventures within its beliefs and recognizing them as even temporarily true can tempt children to do much worse with their lives. Many have actually become witches based on the influence of these books.
Thanks for the reply, Poet. I've noticed you've not rebutted on any of my observations on your argument. Does this mean that you agree with them?

Secondly, did you deliberately mean to use sweeping generalizations in the first paragraph I quoted above? The reason I ask is because you're making extremely broad statements with absolutely no support to them.

"Many have actually become witches based on the influence of these books." How do you know this? Whose word are you taking for this? Are you relying on a frequently-forwarded email, featuring "interviews" with kids who've turned away from Christianity to witchcraft as a result of the HP books? If you are, you should know that email is a hoax, a spoof, an urban legend from The Onion, an online satire factory. (The article in question is from Vol. 36, issue #25.)

If we go by your logic that children could be tempted into the occult by learning about it and having adventures based on it, then two things:

Firstly, you have no business reading any Tolkien or any C. S. Lewis' "Narnia" or his science-fiction series if you hold to the logic you're expressing above. You must not support Tolkien or Lewis' sinful, anti-God, chock-full-of-witchraft-and-Satanism worlds by reading them or recommending them to anyone. You'd be hypocritical, otherwise.

Secondly, by that same logic, you must not allow your children (or any children you care about) to ever read a single fairy tale or even an Aesop's fable. After all, evil acts are written about in all those books and stories, and if children are exposed to such acts, they might be tempted to them.

Sadly, we must also include the Old Testament here in the list of Poet's Banned Books, as it contains debauchery, murder, rapine, genocide, fire and death, false worship, suicide, religious and marital unfaithfulness, drunkeness, blasphemy and betrayal. True, there are some good bits in there, but your logic must be followed resolutely, and therefore if children are exposed to these acts, they could be tempted to them. Many have even become priests of Baal after reading about such in the book of Ezekiel!

quote:
Wouldn't it be better if a Christian series could be written that was so much loved and adored by millions of children? Books that glorified everything that God admires and everything that is good and worth emulating?

JKR and her books are already loved and adored by millions (millions? Maybe not quite that many yet, but certainly many hundreds of thousands, I imagine.) Her books glorify loyalty to friends and elders, sacrificing one's life and liberty for same; courage in the face of pain, evil and hardship; honesty, humor, mercy, grace, responsibility, acceptance of others (even of those who are different), dedication, fighting evil; all things that God admires and are good and worth emulating, don't you agree?

quote:
In the Bible those who sin are paid out for their sin, either in this life or the next.
True! So aren't you glad that Voldemort and Wormtongue are going to get their comeuppance somehow in this series? Ditto for the evil Malfoy and his family.

quote:
Harry Potter books teach kids that bad kids get glory, that demon spirits are welcome in their lives, and that as long as it comes out okay it doesn't matter how you got there. All false.
Hmm, somehow I think you and I must have read different Harry Potter books. In the HP *I* read, no kids are ever taught successfully that the end justifies the means, and evil kids like Draco Malfoy and his toadies Crabbe and Goyle get their comeuppance in the third and fourth books. Since Harry, Hermione and Weasely (can't recall that kid's first name) clearly are not evil, your argument falls apart here, indeed, as it does in many other places.

I'm not trying to tell you that you can't have opinions or that you must like the HP books, goodness no! Like them or not as you please, and your taste is your own.

What I *am* trying to communicate is that your objections to the HP books are unsound, poorly thought out and in many cases, not just totally but wildly inaccurate as well. You're objecting to things that don't happen to characters that don't exist from an author you've utterly misjudged! Did you actually read at least one entire HP book all thr way through, not skipping sections?

IMHO you've not read the books objectively, trying to make up your own mind for yourself, but you've read them looking for evidence to support a conclusion you've built even before you laid eyes on the books.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Practicing any false religion constitutes spiritual adultery against God. Be it Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Paganism, or modern day witchcraft (a.k.a. Wicca), it is still sin.

The Harry Potter series is as much a guide to "modern day witchcraft (a.k.a. Wicca)" as Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is a sacred Buddhist text.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flying_Belgian
Shipmate
# 3385

- Posted      Profile for Flying_Belgian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"J.K. Rowling is a hack. Her morals are ambiguous. Her characters lie, steal, break rules, make fun of overweight people, cheat, put self above others, seek revenge, practice divination, and swear. The children's best friend is a drunk. The kids who are good are painted as sticks-in-the-mud."

Are we forgetting that Jesus was arrested for turning the tables in the temple? This blanket description of the characters is completely unrepresentative. They are human beings who are not perfect. You could fish out any children's book and come up with pages of invective about the moral standards. Just look at the kids in the lion the witch and wardrobe- how they outrageously entered the cupboard, the scandal of the unbelieving friends who refused to believe the story of Narnia. The sheer treachery of the guy who claimed the little girl had made it all up. If you read the whole books objectively, the picture that emerges is of a group of kids who want to do what is right. Yes they brea the rules- but is common to just about every story and kids film.

"Harry's magic and Voldemort's magic come from the same source. Harry is only mildy evil compared to Voldemort's being horrendousely evil, therefore by this comparison Harry is seen as "good"."

No. This isn't true. Dark magic is seen as a separate force. No mention is made of the specific source. However, at the end of the first book Harry is confronted by Professor Quirrell who says "there is no such thing as good and evil, only power". This is an overtly pantheistic statement and is completey rejected by Harry Potter. Harry is only "mildly evil" because you have labelled him as such.

"Sirius Black broke a guy's leg to get Harry away from Hogwarts so he could tell him his story. You'd think he could find a better way than to harm someone. These books are full of violence. They are gratifying and exciting, but sin is not healthy under any context, though for a season it may be pleasurable just as the candy you overeat on till you have a stomachache."

If don't want violence, then steer clear of the OT!! "Full of violence"- not compared to most kids TV, films of even the OT!

"I believe these books give God a stomachache. He wants His people to be pure, to keep their minds free from sin.

If there were even a one percent chance these books were against the will of God, would you read them?"

This would mean there was a 99% chane they were for the will of God- so yes I would read them!

"Doesn't the Bible say to love your enemies, and that even sinners love those who love them?

When Harry spares Pettigrew's life he is sorry later, rather than being rewarded for his mercy. Yet the kids are commonly rewarded for lying and stealing, when there should be stern consequences."

"Constantly rewarded"- another rash statement. There are plenty of instances of the kids getting in serious trouble. Are the kids in The Lion the Witch and Wardrobe punished for entering the wardrobe without permission?

Apologies if this question has already been asked- but have you, poet_of_gold, actually read any of these books, or have you merely read what others have said about them. I am inclined towards the latter because of the sweeping statements you make about them.

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kenwritez:
Secondly, did you deliberately mean to use sweeping generalizations

Well, they do ride brooms.

Sorry, couldn't resist. [Razz]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
halibut
Shipmate
# 3115

- Posted      Profile for halibut   Email halibut   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoo.:
Have you read the story of the blessing of Jacob and Esau?

Don't seem to recall Jacob getting his just deserts for that one.

Hmmm, can you justify mess of pottage?
Posts: 59 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Poet_of_Gold
Shipmate
# 2071

Jacob had his heart broken later in life by the treachery of his own sons who sold his beloved Joseph and lied to him about what they'd done.

Not only this, but his left hip had been set out of joint from a round of angel wrestling.

I take it you think that is not adequate payback?

As I said once before, those who crave the mental candy of the books will say anything to try and rationalize why they might be acceptable.

For a fair and honest opinion of such try here.

Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing as this thread is active again...

Following a link from a link in a purgatory thread, I found this:
warning! Jack T Chick tract ahead! warning!
The Nervous Witch

in which two girls get into witchcraft because:

quote:

Through the Harry Potter books! We wanted his powers so we called on spirit guides. Then they came into us. They led us into stuff we found in the Harry Potter books - tarot cards, ouija boards, crystal balls...

Umm.. OK, so divination class involved crystal balls, but the implication was that most of that class was made up vague nonsense. Tarot cards and ouija boards? Unless Mr Chick has managed to read future books and discover something new....

Grrrr. [Flaming]

Kirsti, who thinks it probably serves her right for expecting anything accurate and balanced from Mr Chick.

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Equinas
Shipmate
# 2907

- Posted      Profile for Equinas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Inanna:
Umm.. OK, so divination class involved crystal balls, but the implication was that most of that class was made up vague nonsense. Tarot cards and ouija boards? Unless Mr Chick has managed to read future books and discover something new....

Either future books or the Onion article, with a few Chickian embellishments. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Linda

Posts: 567 | From: Deep South, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flying_Belgian
Shipmate
# 3385

- Posted      Profile for Flying_Belgian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Inanna:
[QB]Seeing as this thread is active again...

Following a link from a link in a purgatory thread, I found this:
warning! Jack T Chick tract ahead! warning!
QB]

Not completely untypical with other Jack T Chick tracts I have read. It seems to make a long point about the dangers of witchcraft (fair enough in theory), but then suddenly makes the colossal jump to link it all with Harry Potter. In a couple of choice frames he suddenly makes this spurious link "I learnt it all from Harry Potter".

I appreciate that comic-book style tracts are not the place for extensive theological analysis, but please, if you are going to make the point that Harry Potter leads to witchcraft, at least make that the main theme of your tract, rather than bunging it in as a footnote at the end.

I would be astonished if Mr Chick has ever read the Harry Potter books- judging by the reference in the tract he has just reacted to the hysteria surrounding the books.

It seems a handful of the anti-Potter brigade have actually read the books (doubtless starting from a less than objective stance), and there views have simply been regurgitated by thousands more. Somehow the Onion hoax has got into this regurgitation and the farce continues.

To all those who believe Harry Potter encourages witchcraft- read the books objectively as a parent and decide for yourself. As someone who has read all 4 books twice over I am perfectly happy to engage in a discussion over them, but this is difficult to do when the person you are discussing with has never actually read them.

Hastur the Unspeakable
Apprentice
# 2819

- Posted      Profile for Hastur the Unspeakable     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent, but has anyone got a link to the Onion article? I can't find it on the site (I've tried their search engine)
Posts: 43 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Equinas
Shipmate
# 2907

- Posted      Profile for Equinas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They must have dumped it from their archives. Every link from other pages no longer links to it.

--------------------
Linda

Posts: 567 | From: Deep South, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the Onion puts something in one of their books, I think they take it offline so you have to buy the book to get it rather than seeing it free online. Oh well...

Re Chick, the man makes bizarre claims about Dungeons and Dragons (and lots of other things...) as well which have no basis in reality, so I don't expect him to really have the slightest idea what he speaks of.

--------------------

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For a fair and honest opinion of such try here.

Would this be the rather off-balance and politically mired "Focus on the Family", so beloved by the squamous and rugose one, supplying the "fair" and "honest" opinion?

Or is there another organisation using the same name?

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
Would this be the rather off-balance and politically mired "Focus on the Family", so beloved by the squamous and rugose one, supplying the "fair" and "honest" opinion?

Or is there another organisation using the same name?

Nope, that's the one. Oddly enough I refer to this particular website regularly. Not to decide what I will see, mind you. I've found that aside from the rather skewed conclusions at the end, their breakdown of movie content is consistently accurate. It is helpful in deciding what to let my young children (or my conservative mother-in-law) see. I also use it to figure out what all of the fuss is about wrt movies like HP (which I thought was great fun).

scot

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Poet_of_Gold
Shipmate
# 2071

Focus on the Family did an excellent job of pointing out BOTH the good AND the bad of Harry Potter.

Their wonderful movies (McGee and Me, Odyssey, Story Keepers, Last Chance Detectives) are a feast for the eyes and mind whether one is a Christian or not.

Those who talk about bias should examine their own eyes for beams before pointing out motes.

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

quote:
Those who talk about bias should examine their own eyes for beams before pointing out motes.

If I have a beam in my own eye, does this mean I can't point out the same in yours?

--------------------

Elizabeth Anne

Altar Girl
# 3555

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth Anne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine once tried to convince me that Harry Potter is a tool of Satan. It didn't work.

Well, if they're going to ban Harry Potter they had better ban Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Spenser's The Faerie Queene, and most childrens' fairy tales. All of the above contain witches, spirits, disobedience, immorality and other unsavory elements.

--------------------
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in my eyes...

Posts: 974 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
www.hollywoodjesus.com is an interesting place to look at movie reviews. I think sometimes the guy tries to hard to find 'pointers to God' which aren't really there, but it's nice to have someone saying positive things for a change!

As for Focus on the Family, I hear their dramatised audio version of the Narnia books omits controversial stuff like Puddleglum getting drunk. Much too reshpeckobiggle for me!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth of Tenth Street:
Well, if they're going to ban Harry Potter they had better ban Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Spenser's The Faerie Queene, and most childrens' fairy tales. All of the above contain witches, spirits, disobedience, immorality and other unsavory elements.

Some people would like to. Be afraid, be very afraid.

David
eternal vigilance, price of liberty, etc.

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

When I was younger I often thought that, were I to have kids, when they turned 15 I would spend a Saturday night with them in my hospital's emergency room, just watching the rolling tide of human pain wash in and out. Sort of a crash [pun intended] course in reality.

For that same reason, I would endeavor to expose them to as much mythology, fairy story, allegory, fable, and story as possible. I would want them to see humanity as it is, with its breath-taking potential for evil as well as good, banality as well as profundity, cowardice as well as courage, stupidity as well as wisdom, hate as well as love. I wanted them to see humanity as it is, NOT as advertisers, social manipulators, jaded cynics or brain-dead Pollyannas would paint it: Flat, dull, stagnant, brainless cattle fit only to be beaten with the rods of slavemasters toward slaughterhouses or, obversely, as divinely ordained Masters of the Universe(tm), the world and our flesh, basking in bloodless, eternal victory in some bloody saccharine spiritual Never Never Land.

I like and respect the values evidenced in the HP books: Courage, sacrifice for friends and family, unconditional love, acceptance of those different from you, problem-solving, respect for authority but not blind obedience to it, grace.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016