homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Okay, that's it. (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Okay, that's it.
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bongo:
Getting back to the spirit of the OP: did any non-Brits among you hear about the three men who were arrested for (allegedly) planning a poisoned gas attack on the London tube?? [Eek!] I'm scared. Shit scared for my friends who live in London. It's not a question of if, but when.

Yes, I did. And it was tempting to post it and go HA TOLD YOU! but I did not.

Instead, I just thanked God that they were caught before they were able to do it. What a disaster. [Frown]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bongo wrote:
quote:
I only got involved in this thread because Laura's mischaracterisation of European liberals made me angry.
Just as European liberals' mischaraterization of Americans -- liberal, conservative, and in between -- makes me angry. Stereotyping's a bitch, I think we can all agree.

And thanks, OgTheDim, for a thoughtful post.

Posts: 2450 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nosmo:
quote:
from Scot
Second, you do not seem to understand the concept of causation. Even if the western nations are guilty of failure to attempt prevention of your list of maladies (a proposition which is far from accurate), they are in no way the cause of the problems. Inadequate food supplies cause malnutrition. Shitting in the stream causes dirty water which, in turn, causes diarhea. Lack of schooling or lack of interest cause illiteracy. Even if you look at the causes of the inadequate food supply, lack of proper sanitation and absence of schools, you will find local, rather than western, causes.

In summary, keep your angst to yourself. I am not the cause of the world's problems.

I'm sorry. I was under the impression that some people here actually cared about the state of the world. Quite clearly you don't give a fuck, to use your parlance.

Simply having a roof over your head, clean water to drink, sanitation and decent food puts you in a minority in the world. I am willing to bet that most of you have a university education (as I do) putting you into a smaller bracket. Most of you drive a car. Most of you own a fridge, a TV, take foreign holidays, etc. You are in a minority of a few hundred million people, as I am. Now. The fact is that this small group of people use over 75% of the worlds resources.
<snip>
Scot, your post makes me sick. How dare you accuse people living in absolute poverty of causing their own problems.

Karl, as I understand Nosmo's post, he was saying that the fact that the people in western nations have things like refrigerators is the cause of pollution in the third world countries.

I am not indifferent to the plight of the third world, but I have very strong feelings about people who carelessly spread germs around. I come from a family with many doctors, some in public health. During my childhood I was taught that everyone should keep their germs to themselves as far as they are able.

Moo

[Use preview post - makes you look less stupid.]

[ 18. November 2002, 22:17: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some posts back, Guess Who declared "I shall go and discuss things with more reasonable people." And yet Karin 3 remains among us -- which leads to two alternate conclusions: 1) there's not much credibility in what she says; or 2) we've suddenly become "more reasonable."

But getting back to her comments on the OP, she wrote:
quote:
Erin I really think you should stop and consider how likely it is that you are to be the victim of a terrorist attack. Sorry to disappoint you, but statistically you are much more likely to die of cancer or a heart-attack, or the American equivalent of being knocked down by the no.9 bus.
I don't think Erin was expressing a belief that she personally was the likely target of an attack, but rather that her locale -- adjacent to a strategic military installation -- is a potential target. Her concern was for her community and her nation, which strikes me as a reasoned and unselfish attitude.

Perhaps you feel invulnerable "somewhere near Guildford," and perhaps it's unlikely that Guildford is a potential target (although anyplace reasonably close to London should probably be concerned). But is it so tough to understand that for Laura, ChastMastr, and I in Washington; for Moo, who has family here; for Ultraspike and nicolerw in New York; and for Motherboard in western Pennsylvania, the concerns aren't fanciful. They're very real simply because it's already happened once in our backyards.

Perhaps your own scope of concern ends with your personal safety (I find that hard to believe, however), but most of us have a larger interest -- the security of all members of our community, not just the ones we know.

Bongo
Shipmate
# 778

- Posted      Profile for Bongo   Email Bongo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Presleyterian:
Bongo wrote:
quote:
I only got involved in this thread because Laura's mischaracterisation of European liberals made me angry.
Just as European liberals' mischaraterization of Americans -- liberal, conservative, and in between -- makes me angry. Stereotyping's a bitch, I think we can all agree.
Hear hear. [Not worthy!]

--------------------
"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!" ~ Dr Strangelove

Posts: 492 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

Of course, I should have written: "for Laura, ChastMastr, and me in Washington..."
Karin 3
Shipmate
# 3474

- Posted      Profile for Karin 3   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Presleyterian:
Some posts back, Guess Who declared "I shall go and discuss things with more reasonable people." And yet Karin 3 remains among us -- which leads to two alternate conclusions: 1) there's not much credibility in what she says; or 2) we've suddenly become "more reasonable."

But getting back to her comments on the OP, she wrote:
quote:
Erin I really think you should stop and consider how likely it is that you are to be the victim of a terrorist attack. Sorry to disappoint you, but statistically you are much more likely to die of cancer or a heart-attack, or the American equivalent of being knocked down by the no.9 bus.
I don't think Erin was expressing a belief that she personally was the likely target of an attack, but rather that her locale -- adjacent to a strategic military installation -- is a potential target. Her concern was for her community and her nation, which strikes me as a reasoned and unselfish attitude.

Perhaps you feel invulnerable "somewhere near Guildford," and perhaps it's unlikely that Guildford is a potential target (although anyplace reasonably close to London should probably be concerned). But is it so tough to understand that for Laura, ChastMastr, and I in Washington; for Moo, who has family here; for Ultraspike and nicolerw in New York; and for Motherboard in western Pennsylvania, the concerns aren't fanciful. They're very real simply because it's already happened once in our backyards.

Perhaps your own scope of concern ends with your personal safety (I find that hard to believe, however), but most of us have a larger interest -- the security of all members of our community, not just the ones we know.

Presleytarian, I don't know if you have the phrase in the US, but here it is said that it is a woman's perogative to change her mind. [Wink] Perhaps someone has helped me to see you in a different light. Will that satisfy you?

As far as the terrorist threat is concerned, perhaps I was a bit dismissive and events over here at the weekend have confirmed that. I apologise that I did rather jump into this discussion earlier without thinking. [Not worthy!]

There are several factors that perhaps make it difficult for us to understand things from each other's perspective. I may be wrong, but I imagine Americans have felt pretty safe from attack by foreigners in the past and many Americans, possibly including your good selves are still suffering from the shock of realising that you are not as inviolable as you thought. I think it is very easy for us in Western countries to forget our own mortality and I know it is quite devastating to have it brouhgt home.

In this country, however, the threat of terrorist attack is nothing new. In the 1980's this was a constant threat. Working in a government building fairly near London and not so far from military establishments we were often warned to be vigilant for suspicous bags and packages.
It is something those of us old enough to remember have learnt to live with. I guess we have worked out coping mechanisms as it is not desirable to live in a state of constant fear and panic.

Of course it would be awful if the terrorists do attack, and I am very sorry you feel so worried by this threat. I'm sorry if I came across as unsympathetic, but I was perhaps rather clumsily and maybe even misguidedly trying to reassure Erin, that she shouldn't worry too much.

Karin

--------------------
Inspiration to live more generously, ethically and sustainably

Posts: 417 | From: South East England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo:
No, they won't find it enlightening because they'll think it's Bleeding Heart Pinko Commie Drivel. There's no talking to these people.

Now what they'll tell you to do, if you want a reasoned discussion, is to start a thread in purgatory. But, guess what! Someone will deliberately misinterpret your Commie Drivel over there too. Things will get too heated, so it'll get booted down to hell as quick as anything.

You actually can't have a reasoned debate with these people, Not here or in purgatory, and not, it seems, in real life.

The only way to deal with these Bloodthirsty Warmongers is to shoot 'em and bomb 'em. Haven't you understood that yet? Or maybe we could get a couple of passenger jet planes...

Who are 'these people' and 'they'? Can you be specific please, Bonzo? If you mean the people who don't agree with your viewpoint can you say that, please? I'm going to assume, for the sake of my rant, that that is who you mean, so here's this Bloodthirsty Warmonger's reply.

I speak only for myself on this thread and defend no-one else's ideas or opinions apart from my own, so if I am a 'they' or 'them' I'd like to know. If my (admittedly dubious) sense of humour stoops to 'disgraceful' asides at my bemusement at some posters' response to another poster's frustration, hurt and anger, does that make me Public Enemy No.1? Are egos so fragile and sensibilities so bloody precious that a mild, and rather netural, jib is unacceptable? Gah!

I appreciate that as someone who grew up in a country that actually knows what it's like to live with terrorist threat every day, with the reality of bombs, hoaxes, reaction and counter-reaction, propaganda, religious and political shite etc etc, I probably have nothing valuable, in your eyes, to bring to this debate. And I appreciate that for 'those' who occupy the absolute knowledge of all truth, the not-worth-considering experiences and opinions of worms like myself, are beneath respect.

But FWIW, I put a great deal of heartsearching and thought into my posts, and have struggled tremendously with this issue most of my whole bloody life.

I don't want to disrespect your views - you'll notice if you read my posts, I never have, in fact - but I don't think you have lived, as I have in a country where Christian witness to peace and forgiveness is brought sharply up against the other reality of policemen being shot through the head in front of their children, getting into the car after Sunday worship; where elderly couples sitting at home on a quiet afternoon hear, a few streets away, a dull 'bang' and find out an hour or so later, it was the sound of their son being blown apart as he investigated a booby-trap bomb; where escaping terrorists fleeing their latest shooting scene feel justified in running over in their car babies being pushed in their prams, because they, too, are 'legitimate targets' having gotten in the way of the Cause.

This kind of terrorism certainly has roots in grievance and oppression and all kinds of desparate crap that was dealt out by the British to the Irish; it certainly is connected with past injustices and historic stupidities by people and governments who arguably ought to have known better. But it is carried out by people who will smile in your face as they take a baseball bat to your shins; or (because terror is what they're about) will smile in your face as they put a gun to your son or daughter's face.

No amount of revisionism and apology is going to put the geni back in that bottle.

My contribution was to suggest that some lessons might be learnt from Northern Ireland's bloody experience of first fighting and then negotiating with terrorists, learning from the successes and consistent failures.

And one of these failures, in my opinion, is that when terrorists are negotiated and reasoned with, when their demands are listened to and met with respect, when they have their 'political' prisoners released from gaol, and afforded legitimate political status, they feel utterly justified in the use they have made of terror, see no reason whatsoever to repent of it in the least, and sit tight with their armalites sitting snugly out of sight, but still within reach 'just in case'.

(Though I want to make it plain that I'm glad that one of the good things that has come out of the peacetalks is increasing sharing of power with Catholic people in Northern Ireland, and an increase of their party political franchise, as this is only just and right, and long overdue.)

It is virtually impossible to retreat from a position of potential active hostility unless there is a real repentance (not necessarily spiritually, but quite literally a 'turning away') from the terrorism. I am just wondering how the leaders of nations under threat of terrorist violence can bring that repentance about, that provision of a new way to follow, without the use of some, maybe even considerable defensive violence?

I haven't read anything yet that makes that non-violent but effective way clear, as much as I respect and really, really want to follow the pacific ideal. Another poster said he was disappointed by how some people were willing to sacrifice principles for pragmatism. I don't know where this lies in the field of situational ethics, but sometimes surely pragmatics dictates the ethic required?

But then if I'm a 'they' or 'them' what do I know? (And if you read any Purgatorial threads, Bonzo, you will see very plainly there is a big difference in style of posting - though even there people are allowed to be passionate and have different views to one another.)

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karin 3:
I don't know if you have the phrase in the US, but here it is said that it is a woman's perogative to change her mind. [Wink]

We have the phrase in the US, and as a woman it has always just completely PISSED ME OFF
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are links that explain what Live Aid was. All this food was raised to help starving people in Africa. From what I remember, most of it rotted and did not get to it's intended area either from not enough trucks and also the border patrols holding up the food.

One World Article
Herald UK
The Guardian

I can not get code to function here for google article (pls copy and paste):

Bob Geldof

This is a great thing (Live Aid was a great thing when it happened) but not only must people have a ton of trucks to cart the food...they must deal with the starving countries warloads who are intent on taking the food themselves. I do remember reading that did happen in Live Aid, but I am having a heck of a time finding the proper article to cite as a source spelling that out.

A better example is Black Hawk Down situation. The book and movie explains that much better...all your good intentions don't mean a thing if warloads are intent on taking your food aid for themselves, hence the US gov't gets involved to make sure starving people get the food.

[The people were starving since warloads kept taking the food...the US stepped in...Black Hawk Down situation happened].

My father always says: "The Road to hell is paved with good intentions." I think that applies here.

[Made your link easier to work.]

[ 18. November 2002, 22:20: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear all,

I apologise. None of my comments were intended to suggest that america and/or americans were more to blame for the state of the world than anyone else, least of all us brits. If they were taken that way then the fault is mine.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I am not indifferent to the plight of the third world, but I have very strong feelings about people who carelessly spread germs around. I come from a family with many doctors, some in public health. During my childhood I was taught that everyone should keep their germs to themselves as far as they are able.

Moo

Actually Moo, and others, I tend to agree. However, life in countries where these diseases are common is more complicated than you suggest. Its is very difficult to keep your dirty water from your clean water when you don't have efficient drains. And thats a fault of not having enough infrastructure. And thats a fault of the countries not having enough money to spend on infrastructure. And thats partly the fault of the crippling amounts of debt they have to pay. I'm not going to get into discussions on the origins of the debt crisis, but will supply more information if anyone is interested.

[Preview post is there for a reason. So use it.]

[ 18. November 2002, 22:22: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

--------------------
arse

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not from a fear-mongering US government.

Setting aside the corporate sins of any country, this is just wrong, and there's no excuse or reason for it. And the fact that they're jumping on every bandwagon in sight is detestable -- it reminds me of Alan Rickman's character in Die Hard.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several years ago, before terrorism was a big concern, someone published a book which stated that a woman over 40 had more chance of getting killed by terrorists than of ever getting married. I guess that's even truer now. [Frown]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One point of the article Erin printed. The list of 22 Canadian targets was apparently a figment of a scribe's imagination.

A bit of undigested chewing gum perhaps? Methinks I would prefer the ghost of Christmas Past....please. [Help]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karin 3
Shipmate
# 3474

- Posted      Profile for Karin 3   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
I don't know if you have the phrase in the US, but here it is said that it is a woman's perogative to change her mind. [Wink]

We have the phrase in the US, and as a woman it has always just completely PISSED ME OFF
That's your perogative, Ruth. [Smile]

I hope you appreciated that it was meant to be a joke.

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bongo wrote:
quote:

Sorry, Bongo; I was angry myself, and engaged in a bit of hyperbole.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Assistant Village Idiot
Shipmate
# 3266

- Posted      Profile for Assistant Village Idiot   Author's homepage   Email Assistant Village Idiot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I followed the Christian Aid link and was only mildly impressed. They do make several good points, and at least seem committed to the concept of aupplying data and reasoning to make their points. Also, they don't like the IMF, and I am in total agreement there.

I think they fall down at the same spot that many on this thread do, and a very common failing it is, at all places along the political spectrum. Co-incidence is not cause. Just because two things both occur does not mean that one has caused the other. (This will help you sort out medical claims as well, by the way.) In particular, they teach that the existence of poverty and the existence of free trade policies means that one has caused the other -- guess which? But the spread of free market policies has paralleled reductions in poverty.

The big drawback is, because market policies don't aim at reducing poverty as their primary goal, they do this very unevenly. And it just doesn't seem fair for things to have gone well for some and not for others. Also, free markets do a poor job of preventing crime and exploitation. Markets do, however, do a slow but efficient job at solving these things.

I am always thinking of Romania, particularly the mountain villages, when I think of poverty, because it is what I am familiar with. I can't speak very well to the situations in Senegal or Thailand. But I can state with some confidence that protective, market-ignoring policies in Transylvania keep the poor poorer and the water dirtier.

Free markets let terrible and destructive things happen, but rescue-only strategies make terrible and destructive things happen.

--------------------
formerly Logician

Posts: 885 | From: New Hampshire, US | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eanswyth:
Oh No!!! I'm going to confession tomorrow! I'll be good. I promise. Please don't send me there.

There, there. It's all right! A loving God could not POSSIBLY subject us to an eternity of "praise music"!

Rossweisse // who should probably do some repenting too

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[small voice]
OK. Thank you. I feel better now.
[/small voice]

sniffle

Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Presleytarian, I don't know if you have the phrase in the US, but here it is said that it is a woman's perogative to change her mind....

We have the phrase, but at this point nobody but mindless sexists actually use it. It's dead insulting to women, you know.

[Mad]

Rossweisse // who tries not to make threats she doesn't really intend to carry out

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, the phrase is not only hackneyed and sexist, it's also a victim of bad spelling. Prerogative.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Logician - the site makes very clear exactly how free marketism has caused increases in poverty. It did not try to merely argue post hoc ergo propter hoc.

I stand corrected on the water issue. Can't know everything.

Sorry you're not impressed. I am very impressed with an organisation that seeks to eradicate the causes as well as the fact of world poverty. For me, that is working for the Kingdom of God.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karin 3
Shipmate
# 3474

Logician, I think you make an interesting point. I think Christian Aid is doing a very good job, but they may sometimes oversimplify things or press their own point a little too much. It is interesting to hear another perspective.

Karl I support a lot of what Christian Aid is doing (I shan't say I support everything as I don't know about everything they do). However, while I think it is right to aim to eradicat out poverty I can't see that this aim will ever be totally achieved. Jesus himself said that the poor will always be amongst us, but we are called to work for justice and equity.

--------------------

Karin 3
Shipmate
# 3474

Well, I'm new to ship of fools, as I'm sure I don't need to tell anybody. This looked like an interesting discussion and I jumped into it without thinking enough. On reflection I can see that first of all Erin started the thread to express her feelings. I may not agree with what I think is her attitude to the terrorist problem in the world, but she is entitled to her opinion.
I may be frustrated with Bush's attitude, but perhaps this is not the time or the place to express that.

I believe someone posted here earlier that this is not the place for such a discussion and this has been reiterated in an e-mail from a friend.

I apologise for jumping in too quickly before I understood how things work and for any offence I may have caused. I apologise for not thinking things through properly before posting.
It seems that in an attempt to make a joke I have caused further offence. I hadn't seen that comment as sexist. It seemed to me a rather outdated and innocuous remark that was unlikely to be taken seriously. I have known a few American women, but I can see they had quite a different attitude from some of the people that visit these boards and I have a lot to learn.

I also apologise for careless spelling, Simon.

There are probably other things I should apologise for, but that's all I can think of at present.

I repeat that I am very sorry for any offence I have caused. Karin

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to say some more about diseases and their effect on an economy.

A hundred years ago the economy of the American South was in very bad shape. There were many reasons, but the main one was that too many people were so ill they could not work.

The specific diseases that disabled them were pellagra, which is a deficiency disease, malaria, and hookworm. These last two are caused by parasites.

Ninety years ago, the state of Virginia sent my grandfather to eradicate hookworm in two counties in the extreme western part of the state. He treated all the cases of hookworm he found and explained to people how to avoid infection.

Sometime before 1940, the federal government passed a law requiring that cornmeal, which was the Southern dietary staple, have niacin added to it. This wiped out pellagra.

The advent of DDT in the 1940s wiped out malaria.

Finally there was a population healthy enough to work. With the advent of air conditioning people could work hard on extremely hot days. The economy of the South improved greatly.

As far as Africa is concerned, there are many diseases which debilitate people or make them blind. AIDS is a recent problem, of course, but there are older diseases which must be wiped out also.

If people are in poor health, they cannot work.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Karin 3,

Thank you for comprehensive and exhaustive apology. Always so nice to see people taking good advice.

Do continue reading and posting on different threads around the boards.

A word of advice (for everyone really): If you are looking for a reasonable discussion, with points backed up by verifiable fact, and logical steps to all disputes, then visit Purgatory. Hell is for loud, emotive, illogical arguments (among other things). If you can't take the heat...

Viki, hellhost

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
quote:
Originally posted by Bongo:
Getting back to the spirit of the OP: did any non-Brits among you hear about the three men who were arrested for (allegedly) planning a poisoned gas attack on the London tube?? [Eek!] I'm scared. Shit scared for my friends who live in London. It's not a question of if, but when.

Yes, I did. And it was tempting to post it and go HA TOLD YOU! but I did not.

Instead, I just thanked God that they were caught before they were able to do it. What a disaster. [Frown]

Well, I do live in London. And I work in Whitehall, and travel on the tube every day, and I live in an area which was the centre of the last cluster of IRA bombs. And I wouldn't say I'm scared. Very concerned, yes, and determined to be vigilant. But shit scared .... no, let's not panic here. That's what the terrorists want. I have no intention of changing my life style in the slightest. No cowardly little worm terrorists are going to stop me doing what I want to do and going where I want to go. If we do that, they've won.
Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm interested in continuing the discussion of who or what is to blame for third world poverty, and I have started a Purgatorial thread here.

scot

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Viki said, comprehensive apology - thanks Karin.

But one thing ...

quote:
I have known a few American women, but I can see they had quite a different attitude from some of the people that visit these boards and I have a lot to learn.

There are 150 million women in the US. Knowing a few American women is not grounds for generalizing about the rest of us.

RuthW // still trying to get over the shock of agreeing with Rossweisse

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Scot; good work - your thread in Purg has already flushed out one complete and utter fuckwit.

OK, it's one we already knew was a fuckwit.

[Wink]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bongo
Shipmate
# 778

- Posted      Profile for Bongo   Email Bongo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Bongo wrote:
quote:

Sorry, Bongo; I was angry myself, and engaged in a bit of hyperbole.

That's alright, Laura, all forgotten. And I'm sorry for getting so stroppy about your post when we are, after all, in Hell. Pax! [Smile]

--------------------
"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!" ~ Dr Strangelove

Posts: 492 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blech! It's getting all sunshine and daisies in here. [Projectile] This is HELL, people, act like it. Next thing you know, somebody is gonna be asking for a group hug and singing of Kumbayah.

To get things going in the right direction: everyone who disagrees with me is a doody-head. And you know who you are. [Paranoid]

Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl - Liberal Backslider:
Thanks Scot; good work - your thread in Purg has already flushed out one complete and utter fuckwit.

OK, it's one we already knew was a fuckwit.

[Wink]

Yeah, Karl, that was big news... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eanswyth:
...This is HELL, people, act like it. Next thing you know, somebody is gonna be asking for a group hug and singing of Kumbayah....

Hostly observation: there is nothing quite so hellish as the singing of Kumbayah. It is one of the few things that is absolutely verboten in hell.

If any one of you sweetness and light fuzzy bunny persons even THINKS of singing "that song," I will grind you up and feed you to the dog, and when he throws you up, I'll mix the emesis with gasoline and set it on fire.

You.have.been.warned.

tomb
hellhost

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
...RuthW // still trying to get over the shock of agreeing with Rossweisse

I suspect we agree on certain aspects of literature, too.

Rossweisse // apologizing for being both off-topic and non-Hellish in this one

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016