homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Taking Back the Term "Christian" From the Fundies (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Taking Back the Term "Christian" From the Fundies
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Then I saw an alleged "Christian therapist" on Pat Robertson's "700 Club" show arguing that anorexia was caused by demonic posession.

I'm not certain but isn't Pat Robertson caused by demonic possession? [Devil]

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're thinking of Bob Larson. [Wink]

David
If you don't know who Bob Larson is, consider yourself lucky

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not heard of Bob Larson, but if he's nuttier than Marion Gordon ("Pat") Robertson, then let's have a link for a few chuckles.

These guys are a disgrace. They deserve to be riddiculed by Christians, lest the rest of the world think we're all like them.

Senator Barry Goldwater (no liberal!) once commented, "I think every good Christian ought to kick Jerry Falwell's ass."

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ah, you want some Bob Larson:

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

let's try this again...

Bob Larson: you asked for it, you got it:

see for yourself [Devil]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

- Posted      Profile for FatMac   Author's homepage   Email FatMac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to review books for Australian Presbyterian Life magazine. Here is my review of two Bob Larson books - "Abbadon" and "Dead Air":

quote:
These two books purport to be Christian novels. I would seriously question that identification. The theme of each of the books is the occult, and this theme is tackled with a hideous relish. Larson’s theory of a widespread occult conspiracy left me totally unconvinced. Graphic, detailed portrayals of Satanic rituals including child sexual abuse of an absolutely horrifying nature left me feeling personally defiled. Perhaps these obscenities genuinely occur — nevertheless I wonder whether they are fit fare for Christian reading in the light of Phillipians 4:8! Though evil is stymied by the end of each book, the flavour one is left with is exactly that — that it is merely a temporary setback. There is no hint of the ultimate and assured triumph of Christ over all evil.

For good or ill, Frank Perretti’s books introduced a new wave of books concerning spiritual warfare and the struggle of evil against good, and they have also set the standard for books of this type. Larson’s offering falls very far short of this standard. Christian booksellers would do a significant service to the Christian community by immediately withdrawing these books from sale.

I also sent this review to a large Christian bookshop in Sydney and they withdrew the books from sale.

--------------------
Do not beware the slippery slope - it is where faith resides.
Do not avoid the grey areas - they are where God works.

Posts: 1706 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Not worthy!] Lincz! [Smile] [Not worthy!]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link, Rosie! This guy IS wackier than Pat Robertson. Dungeons and Dragons is Satanic! Gee, I never knew that. I just thought it was boring.

I also know to bring a large quantity of water to an exorcism.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

His bizarre article on the history of vampirism almost tranced me out. [Roll Eyes] [Eek!]

This is truly the lunatic fringe of Christianity...

--------------------
—dialogue from Primer

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016