homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Proud to be Anglican (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Proud to be Anglican
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
courtesy, Steve, courtesy.

Ok then. How Anglican are you? [Big Grin]

Do you reckon we should devise some sort of scale of "Anglican-ness"? Maybe not. Too many bun fights. It's such a broad term to encompass a broad range of opinions...

Well if we DID, we should divide it up into the three traditional parts of the Anglican church: Evangelical/Puritan (in the technical, 16thC sense - Evangelicals are to some extent their inheritors), Catholic, and Liberal.

Within each scale you have to what extent each wing aligns itself/identifies itself with the "standards": the Book of Common Prayer (let's use the 1662), the Creed, and Articles of Religion. At the bottom you have those that are very close to the BCP etc. And at the top of each scale you have those who are respectively: Off-the-deep-end-almost-presbyterians-who-want-to-bring-back-the-fights-of-the-16thC like the Sydney lot (*hucks and spits*); Anglicans who are Roman in all but name (Tridentine Riters etc); and Anglicans who are so liberal as to be Unitarian or even, agnostic.

I don't think there is such a thing as "true Anglicanism in its purest form". Nor has there ever been such a thing. Not when you have such a range to choose from... And if you're like Edward, you might fit on several scales all at once... [Wink] [Big Grin]

What does it mean to be Anglican? What is Anglicanism anyhow? Not interms of how it is constituted, but what makes it what it is?

Actually Steve, jokes and flippancy aside, I do think there is such a thing as being "un-Anglican", in a technical sense... And that would be if a group were trying to get rid of the "standards"...

The Sydney lot, in my opinion are. Because it's not just the lay-presidency thing, it's their whole attitude to the church too, which seeks to undermine those things which make them Anglicans... Think the rower who is drilling a hole in the boat he is supposed to be rowing...

I don't know what sort of evangelical you are, and it doesn't matter to me where you fit on the spectrum, though I have to say that you feeling upset at being called "un-Anglican" shows me that you want to be Anglican, and seen as such! I don't know to what extent the attitudes of the Sydney Evangelicals are prevalent in the UK (I shudder at the thought they should be there at all). I honestly think though that Sydney is pulling/pushing very hard on the very flexible boundaries/edges of what constitutes Anglicanism...

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
I don't know what sort of evangelical you are, and it doesn't matter to me where you fit on the spectrum, though I have to say that you feeling upset at being called "un-Anglican" shows me that you want to be Anglican, and seen as such! I don't know to what extent the attitudes of the Sydney Evangelicals are prevalent in the UK (I shudder at the thought they should be there at all). I honestly think though that Sydney is pulling/pushing very hard on the very flexible boundaries/edges of what constitutes Anglicanism...

FYI, the Sydney lot's views are quite easy to find among evangelicals in the UK, I am sorry to say, but not among Anglicans. HTB and its offshoots is about as close as British Anglicanism gets, quite frankly, but whatever you think of it, it doesn't match the extreme nature of ++Jensen and his people.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
[Sunny] Wood said nice things about me!

But I'm not actually anglocatholic.

[Also. I'm not godly. And um. Usually I'm a happy lucky decent guy, but um. After hanging around Northbridge today, 'decent' has to come off the list too]

Um, OK. But we like you anyway. Can I extend my other compliments to Nunc and Dyfrig istead, then? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunc - thank you. For correcting my typing. As I have argued elsewhere, my spelling is perfect, but my typing sometimes lets me down ...

Yes I agree there is something which is un-anglican. But to define what it is would be very difficult. I don't know the Sidney evangelicals as such ( although I think I have come in contact with their teaching ), but I do know that the extremist views are present within British evangelicalism. But I am not extremist.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
no one PM's me, not even when I got 1000 posts.
hey pyx_e thats not fair... i pm you fairly frequently...

(i want a pouting smilie to insert here. i really, really want a pouting smilie)

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Roll Eyes] the four people who have pmed me in the last year have all now pmed or posted here telling me what a pratt I am [Roll Eyes] I can't win.

[Big Grin] P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

Apart from me, Pyx_e, that is.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
[Roll Eyes] the four people who have pmed me in the last year have all now pmed or posted here telling me what a pratt I am [Roll Eyes] I can't win.

[Big Grin] P

But I sent you a PM too Pyx_e. [Big Grin] And we agreed on something. [Eek!] A sign of forthcoming something or other surely [Wink]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SC, I am reasonably sure that I do not have the same degree of respect that you accord Wood but a couple of things, if I may.

Firstly, You have said a few things on board that have made me raise an eyebrow. I am sure this is not news to you. You have represented (on board, and I stress on board because shipboard life is NOT real life, after over two years on board I think I am just getting to know a few shipmates of the hundreds I have conversed with) many of the things I dislike about the C of E.

Now before you get upset with me let me stress I do not think I have got it right my problem is dealing with the fact that none of have got it right. I think I am trying to say is that it is not about who has it right and who has it wrong but knowing that most of us are trying to follow His word and Love the Lord our God and our nieghbour as our self in many and varied ways. So whilst I may not like some of what you say I have to listen and even (God forbid) learn.

Secondly we are all changing (these boards have taught me much). I have seen you, through your posts, really struggle with changes in your life, your role on board, your views on certain issues, your views about certain shipmates and most importantly (for this thread), your dealing with the f**king awful selection process (sometimes dealing with it badly but hey it is often nasty and hard to deal with). Now I do not know you ITRW but it seems your struggles with the defining of and being a minister are valid even if at times they have really threatened where I am and, at times your struggle to come to terms often seems to be have just made you angry and even bitter with the C of E.

But it is always difficult to see someone grieve.

Lastly you said :"I started this thread because I wanted to leave the ship. Some part of me had had enough.” I for one am not willing to let this pass without some word of encouragement to you. Please don’t leave. (not good enough?)

OK. Even if at times I have strongly disagreed with you and been maybe even nasty I still like you or more accurately value what you bring to our fellowship. Hey Erin thinks I called her unChristian (when in fact I only suggested some ideas that were floating around may be unChristian [Wink] ) and we get on (sort of [Big Grin] , she did PM me when she said she would [Not worthy!] ). Thank God we are all not the same. You may think all sorts of people have said bad things about you and hey guess what ,they have. But that is OK we can disagree and really piss each other off and if we are part of the ship of Fools then we can get over it.

If we want to.

I ask you to want to get over it, you’re (mostly, nearly, sometimes [Big Grin] ) a really good guy and it is just about time to let go of some past hurts.

Everything will be OK

P

--------------------

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
Does this mean that you got a whiny, self-indulgent private message, too? Or was I the only lucky one?

Was it as whiny and self-indulgent as SC's OP?

[use preview post]

[ 04. October 2002, 19:58: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, you know Fr Cosmo, might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb, right? It rivalled the mass e-mailing we all received of "The Lottery" back when we kicked Joanne off the boards.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, you know Fr Cosmo, might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb, right?

[Eek!] Fr. Cosmo's hung like a sheep?? [Eek!]

[Ultra confused] Stop the presses!! [Ultra confused]

... oh. I get it now. My mistake. [Embarrassed]

Never mind! [Sunny]

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Warden's Wand
Shipmate
# 2838

- Posted      Profile for Warden's Wand         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ChastMastr: It's different to being hung like a horse! [Snigger]
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
no one PM's me, not even when I got 1000 posts. (bastards) [Waterworks]

I PM'd you. I thought it a was a pleasant exchange, too.

[Confused]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

OK OK I admit I was being melodramatic. Sheesh.

P

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

Is hung like einstien and has the brains of a horse, [Roll Eyes]

P

--------------------

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, you know Fr Cosmo, might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb, right? It rivalled the mass e-mailing we all received of "The Lottery" back when we kicked Joanne off the boards.

I know I'm thick but I thought a Private Message was supposed to erm... private. Never mind.

What I said in the message was that after being away on holiday for a while I was a bit peeved to be described as 'sulking in a corner' and that I had felt that my posts (ohGod the paranoia was kicking in big time) seemed to be picked upon quite quickly for sarcastic comments by others. All this I did 'privately' to one of the people who had made such a comment rather than provoke some kind of public irritation. Silly me for thinking that's as far as it would go.

The reply was, well... let's not dwell on the reply. I try not to use the word 'shit' too often in correspondance even with my friends.

To get back to the OP I would repeat again to SC that I, at least, have never described you as 'anti-anglican'. I have indeed questioned why you are an Anglican considering some of the views you have put across and have thought that you might, with those views, be more at home in another denomination. But I have never described you as anti-Anglican. I hope (genuinely) that you resolve your obvious faith and belonging difficulties and that you find yourself in the church that you feel the most at ease with.

The thing is that Anglo-Catholics get most het up, not on tat (although that pervades our very beings and provides so much fun and opportunities of mutual piss-taking), but doctrine and history and ecclesiology. We don't claim omniscience or infallibilty (or Blessed Pio Nono and his lawful successors has that) but we do get roused by those who question the very core of Anglican sacramental and ecclesiological thought. Thus when the Arch-Jensen of Sydeny gets going we get riled as we believe him to be a Congregationalist Presbyterian masquerading as an Anglican. That's why when others put forward arguments which come close to his own (as some of SC's have, on occasion) then we respond. It doesn't mean we think you are a dickhead or a jerk or even, gasp, a moron. It just means we are fighting for what we think we are about as Anglicans at a time when that seems to be under serious threat.

I hope that makes some sort of sense. The only good movable feast I know (the saddle of mutton trolley at Simpson's) was in good form tonight.

The Self-Indulgent, Whining, Patronising, Public-school educated, Moron, (did I miss one?),

Cosmo

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, you raving hypocrite, explain why you didn't whine at Pyx_e for saying it FIRST.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Oh yeah...

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
I know I'm thick but I thought a Private Message was supposed to erm... private. Never mind.

You lost this moral high ground when you ran whining to someone else and quoted the entire text of MINE.

HYPOCRITE.

[ 05. October 2002, 00:06: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

Because I didn't see it that's why. Indeed I still haven't seen it (perhaps I haven't read some posts properly) but I did see you write something to the effect of 'sulking in a corner' and I so I wrote to you in addition to a couple of other points which I mentioned above (and which were dealt with in that PM so I hope you don't feel the need to bring it up all over again in public). That's all.

I don't think that makes me a 'raving hypocrite'. Maybe a blind skim-reader but not a raving hypocrite.

Cosmo

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

I did indeed write to Simon and quote some of your PM as I felt it was quiteout of proportion to the questions I had raised. However at no time did put any of this on the open boards and I don't understand why you feel it was OK to do so in the first place.

Cosmo

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

You have gone beyond hypocrite into bold-faced LIAR. Piss off, and don't you EVER PM or e-mail me again.

--------------------

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
I bet you're gonna wish you'd never said that once we fill your inbox full of congratulatory messages [Snigger] [Devil]
Tubbs

This is the royal 'we', presumably?

I have no intention of putting anything in pyx_e's inbox, thank you very much. [Ultra confused]

[Code fix]

[ 05. October 2002, 00:30: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

quote:
You have gone beyond hypocrite into bold-faced LIAR. Piss off, and don't you EVER PM or e-mail me again.

Please don't call me a liar. I did indeed send some of your reply in my PM to Simon and questioned its tone and content. As you have already brought this up this evening it's obvious you know this, presumably from Simon. If you would like I can put the whole of our discussion on the open boards (subject to his agreement of course) and prove it. So I don't know where the liar bit comes.

Knowing that a PM to you is obviously fair game to be referred to on the open boards I shall gladly not PM you again. However I resent the accusation of lying and request either an explanation of your remark or an apology (although I shan't live in hope of getting either).

Cosmo

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

If you honestly believe that what you've posted here is the truth, I have been sorely mistaken about you. I always thought you were a jackass, now it appears you are far less intelligent than I thought.

The outright lie: you quoted my ENTIRE PM, not just "some". That means that you don't regard it as a private conversation, not if you feel at liberty to send it on because you are a whining tattletale, so why the fuck should I?

--------------------

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

I did miss out a couple of sentences from it you know (or certainly tried to in any case, I'm not hugely proficient in this stuff). And I hardly think sending a message to the founder of this board and taking issue with the extraordinarily rude and dismissive content of one the 'senior' members of the Ship towards another member is quite the same as slagging off that person and bitching about the content of their PM's on the open boards.

Now, can we leave this please. It has nothing to do with the OP and I'm going to bed.

Cosmo

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

I would gladly leave it if you would stop playing martyr about all this. Believe me, dealing with you is about 2342374752 on my list of things I really want to do before I die.

However, since you insist on perpetuating the fallacy that you've been wronged here, and have never done anything to provoke it, I must decline your offer to leave it.

You COULD always wander back to the ghetto. Then you would never have to deal with unpleasant concepts such as "truth" and "consequences of my actions".

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Wood, Just to let you know I do read your posts (even if it takes me several days to get around to it - I've only just discovered this thread exists) [Roll Eyes]

Chorister is an Anglican - by birth, by baptism and confirmation, and also by trying out all the others in order to satisfy myself that I really am an Anglican by choice as well as by accident.

Tra, la (In B flat)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin :hope you realise just how aggressive and rude you appear on this thread.
[Frown]

This may be Hell, but can't you deal with your personal grievances in private?

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The kind of so called anglicans who really get on my wick are those who use the Roman Missal. This means they are embarrassed about bein anglican well they should get the fuck out and not be so bloody hypocritical.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
The kind of so called anglicans who really get on my wick are those who use the Roman Missal. This means they are embarrassed about bein anglican well they should get the fuck out and not be so bloody hypocritical.

I quite agree. Nasty little book. The English Missal is quite another kettle of tat tho'.

Cosmo

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
by English Missal do you mean common worship? or do you mean something produced by another church?

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

Ah by English Missal you mean the prayer book produce by the Church of Rome. You aren't very proud to be Anglican are you?

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being proud to be Anglican presumably means proud of belonging to a church which embraces Anglo-catholics, Angligelicals, FiFs, Liberals and all sorts of other weirdos. One of its strengths is its very inclusivity. To outsiders that probably looks like one of its weaknesses too, but what the hey!

I have just had a trawl through the Mystery Worship reports on Anglican churches and continue to be amazed at the diversity. Apparently my church is due to be on there soon and will probably be boringly somewhere in the middle of the continuum. [Razz]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
Ah by English Missal you mean the prayer book produce by the Church of Rome. You aren't very proud to be Anglican are you?

Er, no. By The English Missal I mean the missal put together by Fr Kenrick, the Anglican parish priest of Holy Trinity, Hoxton. It combines the best of Rome with the best of Anglicanism and was much in use in A/C parishes from the 1920's to the 1960's. With the liturgical revisionisms of both Churches it has become sadly neglected of late although a few places still use it.

If you think I'm not proud to be Anglican then look at Corpus Cani's recent report of Hereford Cathedral and Jacobite's report on St Mary's Bourne St. Who could fail to be proud to be priest in a Church that manages to combine so much!

Cosmo

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WHEN will people learn that when talking about a period of time, for example the nineteen-sixties, the correct notation is 1960s NOT 1960's. 1960's imply's something belonging to 1960, for example, "The furore of 1960's Cold War," or "1960's Summer Fashions." On the other hand you have the "Summer Fashions of the 1960s."

Do I make myself clear?

Think, use of simple plurals and 's of belonging... Sheesh [Roll Eyes] .

[Your complaints about poor English would be more impressive you if you could spell correctly.]

[ 05. October 2002, 15:24: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Chorister is an Anglican - by birth, by baptism and confirmation, and also by trying out all the others in order to satisfy myself that I really am an Anglican by choice as well as by accident.

Brava, brava! (Et moi aussi!)

[Angel]

Rossweisse // in glorious C major

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
...Do I make myself clear? ...

Nunc, if you would care to start a crusade for the proper use of apostrophes, I would proudly join your vanguard.

Rossweisse // Apostrophe Watch

[Flaming]

[How about doing typo watch first?]

[ 05. October 2002, 15:26: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Wood
# 7

The use of the grocer's apostrophe is one of the major causes of the Downfall of Western Civilisation As We Know It.

I am behind Nunc and Rossweisse on this.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Rossweisse // Apostrophe Watch

[How about doing typo watch first?]

[ 05. October 2002, 15:26: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

Honestly, you're as bad as the copy desk. My consctruction of "ApostropheWatch" was DELIBERATE -- a satire on the fad for running words together that gave us such abominations as CitiBank and StarWatch.

Fie!

Rossweisse // another creative impulse stifled

[Flaming]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
...consctruction...

Now, THAT'S a typo!

[Wink]

Rossweisse // are we off-topic yet?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:

Rossweisse // are we off-topic yet?

Hopefully.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
The use of the grocer's apostrophe is one of the major causes of the Downfall of Western Civilisation As We Know It.

I am behind Nunc and Rossweisse on this.

And I. All right-thinking people are justly appalled by the misuse of apostrophes. And some are doing something about it in Cornwall, where resides the Home for Abused Apostrophes .

I had the occasion to be in the N.Y. Presbyterian Hospital Pediatric emergency room think weekend (toddler with dislocated elbow [Waterworks] ) and observed that the cabinets were all carefully labeled, "Linen's" "Bandage's", etcetera. Very upsetting. They refused to give me any "tranquilizer's" for the upset that seeing this caused me.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
...I am behind Nunc and Rossweisse on this.

"Onward, then, ye people,
Join our happy throng;
Blend with ours your voices
In the triumph song..."

Rossweisse // no surrender!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And also don't miss a site regarding my other pet peeve: The Gallery of "Misused" Quotation Marks.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
...All right-thinking people are justly appalled by the misuse of apostrophes. ...

Thank you for that link; I know quite a few people who will enjoy it.

I constantly have the apostrophe discussion with my Junior Child, who writes things like "greeting's," but then turns it around for the possessive: "Eleanors." At least she has the excuse of being barely 9.

Rossweisse // (cue sound of maternal teeth, gnashing of same)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toasting fork to hand

Mike, Mike, Mersey Mike,

You are quite right, this is one of the things Hell is for - dealing with personal grievances.

As you may well know, after someone has persistantly annoyed/upset/frustrated you for a period of time by what they say, you get so annoyed/upset/frustrated, that you can take it no longer. You can no longer bite back the comments, and swallow the bile that rises. You have a choice: attack them wherever they are posting, which is breaking several of the Commandments, or attack them in Hell, where they have a chance to stand up for themselves, and defend what they say. This gives the both of you a chance to clear some air, and provides a cathartic release for many others watching.

Hopefully, after letting off steam, you can go back to posting a lot more reasonably, without constantly sniping at someone because you have no other means of letting it out.

So pull your head out from up your sphincter, and stop interfering in this process.

Cordially,

Viki, hellhost

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
...don't miss a site regarding my other pet peeve...

Thank you for this, too, Laura.

My goodness -- it WAS worth getting up this morning.

Rossweisse // who notes, to get more on topic, that all versions of the Book of Common Prayer in my possession seem to be impeccable in their use of both apostrophes and quotation marks

[Devil]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis, (italics added by Moth):

WHEN will people learn that when talking about a period of time, for example the nineteen-sixties, the correct notation is 1960s NOT 1960's. 1960's imply's something belonging to 1960, for example, "The furore of 1960's Cold War," or "1960's Summer Fashions." On the other hand you have the "Summer Fashions of the 1960s."

Hoist on your own petard? [Disappointed]

(Oh, death, where is thy sting?)

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, Mike! From the ignorant bollocks you keep crusading on about evangelicalism/fundamentalism, you would be very well advised to pay attention to Ms. Cow.

Or you may well find yourself the subject of a Hell thread before very much longer.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016