homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: My blood boils - Creationism at a State School (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: My blood boils - Creationism at a State School
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This Article Refers

And my blood boils on three accounts:

As a scientifically literate layman, it pisses me off that kids are being taught bullshit.

As a taxpayer, it pisses me off that I'm paying for them to be taught bullshit.

As a Christian, it pisses me off that Christianity is again made to look like a load of ridiculous - you guessed it - bullshit.

Thank you for letting me rant.

[ 10. March 2003, 01:10: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

are my views on the teaching of Creationism clear enough?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hope
Shipmate
# 81

- Posted      Profile for Hope   Email Hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl, a(nother) Hellish standing ovation.

Hope

--------------------
"Why does the water glow like that?"
-"The dream magic of the sea."
-"Phosphorescent algae."

Posts: 174 | From: Caithness (northern Scotland) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl, tot, nay whole case of rum...

Wrong rant, but hey, have it anyway!

just about sums up my thoughts as well.

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you make that gesture when you can only write about it ? You know the one where you stick your tounge in the gap between your lower teeth and your lower lip and you make a UUNNNNNGGGHH UUUNNNGGGGHHHH noise?

Having tried desperatley for nearly five weeks tos top say Fuckwits in my hell posts I am at a loss for any other word; Fuckwits , UUUNNNGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The real problem is not the teaching of creationism itself. It is equating it as Hypothesis (theory) of equal value as evolution, now that is the problem.

Saying both are faith poisitions is a little strange.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since teenagers never listen to attempts by teachers to tell them what to think anyway, there is probably not much cause to worry - they will probably emerge with a very healthy scepticism, and well-honed debating skills.....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhere in Ohio a school district is discussing having "intelligent design" taught in the schools ...
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reduced me to foaming at the mouth too.

Given the sort of views that tend to go along with Creationism it made me wonder what other delights they might be teaching to the little darlings. I wonder what they do for sex-education? Anyone know?

L

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sex education?

you get that 10 days after you've married, louise. (and don't even try to find out about it any sooner!)

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lioba
Shipmate
# 42

- Posted      Profile for Lioba   Email Lioba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
Reduced me to foaming at the mouth too.

Given the sort of views that tend to go along with Creationism it made me wonder what other delights they might be teaching to the little darlings. I wonder what they do for sex-education? Anyone know?

L

If they are only remotely like the school I know which teaches creationism they'll glue prayers over the pictures in the biology book and never ever mention sex during lessons - you know, it's a parental thing to explain it, anyway

--------------------
Conversion is a life-long process.

Posts: 502 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Utterly deplorable.

I trust that the next inspection will minutely scrutinise the content of the biology lessons and, in the event of religious propaganda being taught as a substitute for science the responsible individuals will be summarily dismissed.

I might have known that Bigots R'Us, er Reform would be involved.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The headmaster was on Channel 4 last night being savaged by Jon Snow ... the headmaster acquitted himself very well. Unfortunately

Would you be wanting a tot of rum with that the Fairport Convention fanfare in your honour?

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snow, who is normally my hero (see profile) asked some very silly questions.

I was v. disappointed - I'd have much rather seen the rather joyless looking headmaster thoroughly Paxo'd

L.

(For US friends - Jeremy Paxman = attack-dog anchorman of UK serious news programme 'Newsnight)

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose it was too much to hope for that we'd get a sensible answer from the Prime Minister.

I don't usually use emoticons, but how many am I allowed?

Not enough!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

I've just seen it. I am going to cancel my Labour party membership as soon as I can get down the effing bank tomorrow.
F*****g W****r.

Doesn't care about children being taught lies so long as the exam results are good. Let's have an A-level in Bollocks, shall we? Oh look the results from these Faith schools are very good!

B*****d!

L

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently one of the founders of the institute is Fr.David of Clayton Memorial Church.Why am I not surprised?

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Land of the Wacko Creationists (aka. USA)...
A link

This is one of our sorriest exports. You have my humble apologies.

[Link edited. Do not use the URL as the name of the website you are linking to. It ruins the layout of the page and draws hostly ire]

[ 14 March 2002: Message edited by: frin ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a bit about on this on BBC Radio 4 this morning.

They interviewed first the vicar who is backing the school (Holloway someone?) who came from the angle that this is not about the question of the science (the micro-evolution) but the philosophy derived from it (he called it "macro-evolution"), which is fair enough - he didn't claim Gen 1-3 was "literal" but said it was "true". Not in itself an objectionable position.

However, two things were erroneous about what this guy also said:

(a) he claims it to be the position of most in the CofE. B.S., frankly, and

(b) as was pointed out by Richard Dawkins in the interview immediately following his bit, the school not only questions the philosophy, but indeed does challenge the science - the curriculum apparently calls on teachers to challenge "Old Earth" dating of millions and billions of years. Now, whilst this doesn't explicitly say they're teaching Young Earth Creationism (as opposed to a more nuanced Theistic Evolution), what other conclusion can we come to?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Ann:

quote:
I suppose it was too much to hope for that we'd get a sensible answer from the Prime Minister.

Words fail me.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's baffling people with words.

So-called "Macro-evolution" is part of the science, not the philosophy. Macro-evolution is the evolution of new higher taxa - new genera, families and so on. "Micro-evolution" is merely variation within a species or genus at most.

Virtually all creationists accept the latter - they don't have much choice since it's been directly observed, and they invoke it to explain how current biodiversity can arise from the limited numbers of animals that could be fitted on Noah's Ark.

"Macro-evolution" is an inherent part of the scientific theory of evolution. Owing to its timescale it cannot be directly observed, but leaves its mark in the fossil record and in molecular and genetic evidence within modern species. Because this is a bit more esoteric and harder to get one's head round (whilst hardly being rocket science) it is easier to deny its existence to the non-scientifically literate.

The guy seems to me to be merely putting forward the standard YEC position, given also the challenges to the age of the earth. Mainstream in the CofE? Excuse me whilst I choke on my coffee!

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and to add to what karl just said, you'll find the terms "microevolution" and "macroevolution" hardly ever used (if at all) by scientists - there is simply evolution. So called "macroevolution" is just what you get if you allow "microevolution" to occur over a timescale longer than humanity has been directly observing evolution in action. The division between the two is a convenient fiction to allow Creationists to deny creatures evolve despite the observation that they do; it is nothing more than an intellectually dishonest smoke screen

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's time for action.

Can we get some sort of petition together, say with a brief critique of the school's position by people who know better (Karl/Alan?), which sympathetic people can sign up to and email it/send it to the school to show what some christians think of this?

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All this is another example of the growing power of the Fundamentalist Evangelical group in the Church of England. Why hasn't the Bishop of Newcastle gone on record as saying that Anglican clergy should distance themselves from this sort of nonsense? The answer: because the Evangelical wing is defined as successful (the numbers game) and they have lots of money. Simple really. If he, and other Bishops, denounced this pernicious claptrap then the big Evo Preaching Boxes would cut off funding and certain diocese, like Newcastle, would be in danger of going bust. David Holloway has obviously learnt the lesson of the Diocese of Sydney (he is big mates with Archbishop Jensen of Sydney of course) which is that money ultimately controls the Church.

It's simply not good enough to say that Creationism is simply 'an alternative theory'. Perhaps we should teach Flat-Earthism as an 'alternative theory' or that the Sun goes round the Earth. Typical too of Our Glorious Leader to say that it doesn't matter what the children are taught as long as they get good results.

People may knock Anglo-Catholicism (or indeed mainstream Broad Anglicanism) for many things but at least you would never, NEVER, get an Anglo-Catholic priest to espouse this sort of bollocks and try to teach it to our kiddiwinks. It just plays into the hands of the Dawkinites and makes yet another rod for others to beat us.

Cosmo

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

Go for it with the petition Dyfrig!

Off to cancel my bloody standing-order to the rat-bags at lunchtime.

L.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

Originally posted by Dyfrig:

quote:
(b) as was pointed out by Richard Dawkins in the interview immediately following his bit, the school not only questions the philosophy, but indeed does challenge the science - the curriculum apparently calls on teachers to challenge "Old Earth" dating of millions and billions of years. Now, whilst this doesn't explicitly say they're teaching Young Earth Creationism (as opposed to a more nuanced Theistic Evolution), what other conclusion can we come to?

I have a copy of David Holloway's book "Church and State in the New Millennium" (which I keep in a locked box next to my copy of the Necronomicon for fear it should fall into impressionable hands). Holloway hedges as to how Creationist he is, but the footnotes confirm that such "academic" research that he relies on is derived from Creationist sources. Holloway's views are not compatible with the vast body of scientific evidence which supports Darwinian theory and, as such, should not be taught to children in science lessons.

Incidentally the day that David Holloway's views become mainstream Anglicanism is the day I leave. And Cosmo is quite right. It is highly regrettable that the Bishops don't have the guts to denounce this pernicious nonsense.

Bring on your petition Dyfrig.

[corrected a spelling because I'm feeling fussy today.]

[ 14 March 2002: Message edited by: tomb ]

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

I'm with Cosmo on this one (the end times are clearly upon us ).

What Holloway is saying - not only is it not CofE position, someone with a bit of nous (Newcastle if he's got the guts, or Harries) should be pointing this out loud and clear.

In fact, I don't think there's any mainline denomination in Britain that holds this position as a tenet of faith or espouses it as its general consensus. Any Methodists/URCs/Baptists know more on this?

I really, really can't believe this is happening. I'm all for opening up eduactional opportunities, but to say, like Blair, that the results should be more important than the content is just sooooo stupid. What next - it's ok to get an A in RE even though you've been taught that Young Earth Creationism is part of the Nicene Creed?

Grrrrrr.......

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
"academic" research that he relies on is derived from Creationist sources

That's like studying Judaism from materials supplied by the Ku Klux Klan.

I wonder about an open letter sent to the press, stating our opposition to teaching of this nature as Christians?

If people want to go with that I'll frame something tonight.

--------------------

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure everybody will be glad to know that David Holloway is planning the opening of another City Academy, this one based in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, which will run on broadly similar lines and ethos.

Every apposite link on the Jesmond Parish Church website points to anti-evolutionary material and the Christian Institute (curiously also based in Jesmond - why might that be?) has a whole section on what teachers should be doing to counter the Anti-Christian Scientific movement (it also says that the alternative Biblical theories are 'always better'). Surprise, surprise it also has links to the most fundamental parish in the Diocese of Sydney, St Matthias Centennial Park (run by the Archbishop's brother) which has it's own press.

The best Bishop to condemn this would be Bishop Paul Richardson, the Assistant Bishop of Newcastle. He is a Catholic traditionalist but well respected by Holloway and his ilk. If he could be persuaded to come out against this (and he would present a splendidly cogent and articulate case I'm sure) then it would do the rest of the Church a lot of good.

Cosmo

Gambit

London Shipmeet King
# 766

- Posted      Profile for Gambit   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone could possibly remind these people that evolution has been observed (mosquitos in the tube tunnels evolving differently (even in the last hundred odd years) to those above ground) and that the human genome project is shortly to be followed by the chimpanzee genome project and compared and contrasted, they should be able to get over themselves.

Creationism?

--------------------
There is a little bit of my mitral regurgitation that is forever yours.

Wiblog: Now being updated less than regularly (again).

Posts: 1105 | From: the best bar in Heaven | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

+Newcastle doesn't seem to have direct email, but if anyone's minded to, you can write to the Communications Officer: s.scott@newcastle.anglican.org

Karl - if you can write something cogent, I'd be happy to add my name to it. Anyone else up for this? I suggest sending it to +Newcastle, the Grauniad and Times and the Blessed Virgin Tony.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll sign it too ... and hope my MP turns up soon to canvas so I can ask him about it

I've not heard creationism preached at any Baptist church I've attended - but that could be either because I missed it or because I passed out from shock ... I know Baptists that believe in it but have no idea what the offical line is

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ginga
Ship's lurker
# 1899

- Posted      Profile for Ginga     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re-read the article. Noticed this:

quote:
As Christian teachers it is essential that we are able to counter the anti-creationist position... It must be our duty as Christian teachers to counter these false doctrines with well-founded insights.

Emphasis mine.

ROFLMAO

(reasoned mature thought to follow)

Posts: 1075 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just caught the backend of Clive Anderson sitting in for Jimmy Young on Radio 2. He read out a couple of emails about this subject - both attacking Dawkins and defending the school.

Aaaargh!

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

It might also be worth sending a copy of the letter to OFSTED.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Got the email address? - I'll redress the balance.

--------------------

Hope
Shipmate
# 81

- Posted      Profile for Hope   Email Hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll sign any petition/letter thingy you can organise. Would non-shipmates be welcome to sign as well?

Hope

--------------------
"Why does the water glow like that?"
-"The dream magic of the sea."
-"Phosphorescent algae."

Posts: 174 | From: Caithness (northern Scotland) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
In fact, I don't think there's any mainline denomination in Britain that holds this position as a tenet of faith or espouses it as its general consensus. Any Methodists/URCs/Baptists know more on this?

It certainly isn't the Methodist position to judge from the reaction of my good lady wife on Tuesday evening!

I used to attend a joint URC/ Baptist Church which taught creationism in Sunday School. Most URC/ Baptists tend to fall of their chairs in shock when I mention this.

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

I am now an ex-Labour party member. I've stopped their money and I'm up for any petition/letter.

PM me chaps if you need my contact details (out lecturing tonight tho)

L.

--------------------

Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think it's time for action.

Can we get some sort of petition together,

Go for it Dyfrig and Karl add my name to it as well.

BTW, when I heard this on Radio 4 this morning, why was Karl 6the fitst person I thought of?

As for our beloved leader ... and he wonders why there's a shortage of scientists and science teachers in the UK!

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve_R:

why was Karl 6the fitst person I thought of

Clearly 2 pints of London Pride over lunch does nothing for either my typing nor my proof-reading.

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sean
Shipmate
# 51

- Posted      Profile for Sean   Author's homepage   Email Sean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can add my name too.

--------------------
"So far as the theories of mathematics are about reality, they are not certain; so far as they are certain, they are not about reality" - Einstein

Posts: 1085 | From: A very long way away | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As you can see from my parallel thread in Purgatory (which YOU provoked me to start!), my views are still very much a work-in-progress on the subject. However, I am aghast at the thought of a theological viewpoint (and one that is quite narrowly held within the Church at that) such as Creationism being taught as SCIENCE and therefore please feel free to add my name to your petition/ letter/ e-mail.

Cheers

Matt

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it was not obvious from the number of flaming faces in my post, I'm eager to sign a petition against this arrant nonsense being taught as science as well.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
gkbarnes
Shipmate
# 1894

- Posted      Profile for gkbarnes         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just me or is there a lot of people bashing this idea? Now, I have given a link to a Pro-Creationism website. This is to redress the bias. However, this doesn't necssarylly mean that I sdupport Evolution. I give this (you will need to scroll down to find were I am refering to (the question asks if God made the world in 6 days)) and this.

Now, while I belive both views (Old and New Earth) can be Biblical, I firmly belive that God DID create the world in 6 days. The argument shoyuld be over what constitutes a day.
Just my opinion.

Posts: 210 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
gkbarnes
Shipmate
# 1894

- Posted      Profile for gkbarnes         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to double post, but has anyone noticed that the media coveradge that I have seen (admitadly not a lot) has made us Christians look idiots?
Posts: 210 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sean
Shipmate
# 51

- Posted      Profile for Sean   Author's homepage   Email Sean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it takes the media to do that - the people at this school (& Mr Blair) are doing a perfectly good job of that.

--------------------
"So far as the theories of mathematics are about reality, they are not certain; so far as they are certain, they are not about reality" - Einstein

Posts: 1085 | From: A very long way away | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There is no official Baptist position on this, at least not in The Baptist Union of Great Britain, which doesn't have a statement of faith, rather a Statement of Intent.

Like most things in the BUGB, matters which fall outside a strict interpretation of basic Trinitarian Christianity are largely a matter of conscience.

I'm sure that there <i>are</i> Baptist Churches in the BUGB where a creationist viewpoint comes from the pulpit, but it's not the norm, inasmuch as there isn't one.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Ooooh! A link to Answers in Genesis. The afternoons I've spent shaking my head in disbelief and occasionally laughing out loud there.....

Mind you, it serves as a good example of the sort of bollocks that is presumably being served up to these poor kids in Gateshead.

--------------------

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, I am having a really foul day at work so I escape to the ship and what do I find a load of shipmates behaving like fundamentalists. By all means disagree with this college and what it is doing but do you really have to re-act like fundamentalist evolutionists - I expected better of you

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016