homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: America (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: America
Hull Hound
Shipmate
# 2140

- Posted      Profile for Hull Hound   Email Hull Hound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
There were posts about the religious history of the American nation? I must have missed those. All I have seen is slagging/whinging and defensive counter-attacks.

Can you point out exactly which posts you are looking at, HH?

Alexis

Mousethief can you point out where I said this?

--------------------
ahhh ... Bisto!

Posts: 1167 | From: Hull | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hull Hound
Shipmate
# 2140

- Posted      Profile for Hull Hound   Email Hull Hound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
quote:
Originally posted by Professor Yaffle:
One thread on the subject is mildly diverting as it provides the spectacle of Erin, ably assisted by Scot and Duchess bashing various whining Trots.

Three is overkill.

3 is overkill? You are smoking crack.

There are more than 3. We are just the ones who have the most spirit at the moment. The spirit of 76 (echo-echo-echo) [Sunny]

Whatever the market will tolerate
[Wink]

--------------------
ahhh ... Bisto!

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At least we weren't started as a penal colony...
(ducking and running....)

Yeah, you would, wouldn't you duchess? If it's not that all liberals are hellbound because they are not biblical inerrantists*, it's that Aussies are somehow inferior or not entitled to opinions because we were a penal colony - a loooong time ago.

Like, hello! You have some serious waking up to do, woman. We have moved on from being a penal colony... I wonder that you are seemingly unable to move on from where you are.

*I can't believe you think the only liberal view of the Bible is that it's a bunch of fairy tales. Sounds like your mindset is still tied to your father... What a gross mischaracterisation and misunderstanding. Have you even read any liberal theology? Or any catholic theology for that matter. But then, as the Bible is the only thing sufficient, and your intellect is sufficient to interpret it, duchess, reading other theological perspectives is irrelevant... [Roll Eyes] News for you: it's time to grow up and loose the strings that tie you to Daddy or anyone else. Explore the world of ideas. Read... And be open to thinking about things.

Why do people prefer to walk through the world with blinkers on?

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunc,

Wow! Much bigger reaction from Aussies over penal colony remark than Brits over Tea Party remark.

duchess takes notes...

Somebody didn't get her vegemite this morning. [Wink]

Pssst...if you re-read my posts...you'd see my dad is an errantist . He is also a big liberal like the majority of my family. He does not take the bible literally, like moi, the sole family inerrantist of this generations of [insert duchess's family surname here].

Psssst again...I have studied read up on the RCC enough to know why they think Peter was the first pope. "Upon this Rock, I build my church" and so forth...like the asking saints to pray for you, rather than pray to (as even some Catholics think). [Angel]

Believe it or not, you can still see the world through bibically coloured glasses.

[Happy]

[UBB code and an irritating spelling mistake corrected I'm English so I spell colour with a U]

[ 10 July 2002, 08:27: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hull Hound:
quote:
There were posts about the religious history of the American nation? I must have missed those. All I have seen is slagging/whinging and defensive counter-attacks.

Can you point out exactly which posts you are looking at, HH?

Alexis

Mousethief can you point out where I said this?
Gladly. I will quote it in full.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
I'm sick to death of threads slagging off America and isn't it time they all got moved to dead horses?

You're only sensitive to what you don't want to hear.

America is a largely untapped source of comment on the Ship. people actually like talking about it because it is relevant. It has religious themes all through its history and culture and it has real power. The subject is no Dead Horse.

Pleasure to be of service.

Reader Alexis

[tidied UBB code up a little people quoting quotes from each other in Hell [Snore] ]

[ 10 July 2002, 08:41: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hull Hound
Shipmate
# 2140

Mousethief, I said "It has religious themes all through its history and culture and it has real power." Doesn't mean there are posts about it [Roll Eyes]

I'd like to think that all my thoughts and posts automatically generate comment but even I .. [Embarrassed]

Mousethief, I think you are out to misquote [Flaming]

ChristinaMarie
Shipmate
# 1013

- Posted      Profile for ChristinaMarie         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's my theory:

The English and Germans are from common stock.

Both of these countries have a superiority complex.

Most Americans are descended from either German or English stock.

I think therefore, that the American superiority complex is a genetic trait. Trouble is, the effect is doubled! [Big Grin]

This is true: In my promiscuous days, I once dated an American guy. He would only use American condoms, he did not trust British ones.

Christina

Posts: 2333 | From: Oldham | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nunc,

Wow! Much bigger reaction from Aussies over penal colony remark than Brits over Tea Party remark.

duchess takes notes...

Somebody didn't get her vegemite this morning. [Wink]

Sounds like you enjoy doing this to wind people up duchess... "Oooooh let's make a sardonic smart-ass remark about some other nation and see what the reaction is!!" Frankly I just find this tasteless and sick.

What has vegemite got to do with anything?

quote:

Pssst...if you re-read my posts...you'd see my dad is an errantist . He is also a big liberal like the majority of my family. He does not take the bible literally, like moi, the sole family inerrantist of this generations of [insert duchess's family surname here].

And isn't little missy proud of it?! Oh gee! He's an errantist is he? Oh dear, why didn't I see that before? Or is that the whole reason I and a number of others got upset with you on the Headship thread in Purgatory? The fact you seem unable to distinguish between a Christian liberal (errantist) and an agnostic liberal errantist...

quote:

Psssst again...I have studied read up on the RCC enough to know why they think Peter was the first pope. "Upon this Rock, I build my church" and so forth...like the asking saints to pray for you, rather than pray to (as even some Catholics think). [Angel]

Well, at least you can recognise the truth from so many propagandist lies that some biblical inerrant churches promulgate about the RCC. (I would be interested to know what you have read, whether you have read anything from a Catholic perspective... etc)

quote:

Believe it or not, you can still see the world through bibically coloured glasses.

Well, congratulations to you. Not everyone has the necessity to wear those particular glasses, clear glasses, or indeed any glasses. I guess it depends on what you need to see, doesn't it...

And I for one do not appreciate being pressured to wear your glasses. Keep them to yourself please, along with your self righteous and arrogant attitude.

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
Well, congratulations to you. Not everyone has the necessity to wear those particular glasses, clear glasses, or indeed any glasses. I guess it depends on what you need to see, doesn't it...

Nunc, that was completely uncalled for. I have to wear glasses and damned thick ones at that. The last thing I need is you or anyone else rubbing in the fact that you don't need to wear any at all. I really don't appreciate you trying to make me out as some sort of victim by pointing out how you think you are better than me. I think you should apologize immediately to all of the myopic people you so carelessly attacked.

scot

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Well, I was just quoting the TV show and I'm pretty sure they said "snotty"...
Sorry if the xenophobes of the board took offence at the bald faced nerve of a relatively new person just jumping in and saying something.

Twilight, (i'd have pm'd you, but you don't have the facility turned on) it was a joke. I was playing up to the Simpson's stereotype and being snooty/snotty in my reply.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
Canada, however, will have to collectively stand before God and answer for Tom Green.

Don't blame him on all of us. There are only 3 parties responsible for him (leave the other 33 million of us out of it): Mr. & Mrs. Green for (you know), and Tom for being what he is.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
quote:

Nunc, that was completely uncalled for. I have to wear glasses and damned thick ones at that. The last thing I need is you or anyone else rubbing in the fact that you don't need to wear any at all. I really don't appreciate you trying to make me out as some sort of victim by pointing out how you think you are better than me. I think you should apologize immediately to all of the myopic people you so carelessly attacked.

scot

Scot, I don't know whether to laugh or to shout you down; whether you are showing the true inanity of literalism, or genuinely think I am attacking bespectacled persons (of which I am most definitely one)...

In fact the more I look at your post the funnier it is...

I am sorry your lenses are so thick. But you have to realise that the "victim" mentality in this case is an assumed one. You have the power to choose not to be a victim. And, of course those who don't wear glasses are better than you! How could you assume otherwise? [Wink] Myopic people... hmmm Sounds like a variation on the pigmy idea - where do the Myopic people fit in, and what jungle do they live in? [Big Grin]

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, I think Scot was taking the piss.

Wasn't he?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Sharkshooter:

quote:
Don't blame him on all of us. There are only 3 parties responsible for him (leave the other 33 million of us out of it): Mr. & Mrs. Green for (you know), and Tom for being what he is.
Don't try and wiggle out of it. What about Celine Dion? Or Bryan Adams?

OTOH you did give us Robertson Davies and Margaret Attwood, so you're completely beyond redemption.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aargh. Complete gibberish.

What I meant to say was "OTOH you did give us Margaret Attwood and Robertson Davies so you're NOT completely beyond redemption".

I can't believe I just suggested two of my favourite authors are the literary equivalent of Bryan Adams and Celine Dion. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canada also <pause - meant to be dramatic but is just silly> gave us William <another pause of the same kind> Shatner.

I have liked Canada very much when I've visited, but some Canadians ... sheesh!

Ruth
Trekkie

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Sounds like you enjoy doing this to wind people up duchess... "Oooooh let's make a sardonic smart-ass remark about some other nation and see what the reaction is!!" Frankly I just find this tasteless and sick.
The only thing tasteless is vegemite. I can't understand how Aussies love it, but then I love peanut butter and many think that is a tasteless and sick in other parts of the world. Our beer here is tasteless and sick as well in America compared to anyone else's (we tend to water its alcoholic content down).
quote:

What has vegemite got to do with anything?

Not much except you seemed so upset I thought it might be you were maybe skipping breakfast or something. I thought since you were Australian maybe you ate that for breakfast.

quote:
And I for one do not appreciate being pressured to wear your glasses. Keep them to yourself please, along with your self righteous and arrogant attitude.

I am not feeling the luv here...where is the luv?
BTW, I mostly wear contact lenses not glasses. I do however own a pair of righteous looking 70s styled sunglasses that most people do not appreciate nowadays. Thankfully, I march to the beat of my own drummer, not dictated by society.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Canada also <pause - meant to be dramatic but is just silly> gave us William <another pause of the same kind> Shatner.

I have liked Canada very much when I've visited, but some Canadians ... sheesh!

Ruth
Trekkie

William Shatner is one hot hunk of burning love, even nowadays. He may have made his other collegues miserable according to some stuff I have read but man does he have some heaping cups of charisma. [Heart]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
William Shatner is one hot hunk of burning love, even nowadays. He may have made his other collegues miserable according to some stuff I have read but man does he have some heaping cups of charisma. [Heart]

You're a sick, sick woman, and you should get professional help as soon as possible.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem, HH, is that you went on to say that the subject was no dead horse -- implying fairly strongly that it was not a dead horse BECAUSE of all this history stuff. But a thread is a dead horse because of what is ACTUALLY IN it, not what COULD be in it. Thus you were implying quite clearly that there were posts about the history of American religion, or something of the sort, in this thread.

Sorry I didn't make this clearer. I realize some people have trouble with logical inference.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Clyde
Shipmate
# 752

- Posted      Profile for Clyde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Without drawing too much flack towards myself.
Would it help if we called in a Vet to determine,
whether in fact, a horse is dead or not.

--------------------
I've not been on the ship for a long time. I'm very old now and don't like it when the sea gets rough.

Posts: 1279 | From: England. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Whom do you suggest, Clyde?

Rdr Alexis

--------------------

Clyde
Shipmate
# 752

- Posted      Profile for Clyde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No one in particular Alexis but they must be a qualified Vet, perhaps from one of those TV shows

--------------------
I've not been on the ship for a long time. I'm very old now and don't like it when the sea gets rough.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

You mean like "All Creatures Great and Small"?

Rdr Alexis

--------------------

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You mean like "All Creatures Great and Small"?

Oohh, yea, I read that when I was nine or ten. D'ya think the vet'll have to grease up an arm and reach up into the horse all the way to his shoulder? [Puke]

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Irvin D Yalom
Shipmate
# 2833

- Posted      Profile for Irvin D Yalom   Author's homepage   Email Irvin D Yalom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
vegemite

Vegemite rocks, except that in Britain it's called Marmite and we thought of it first.

Irv.

[ubb sorted out]

[ 10 July 2002, 19:59: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

Posts: 227 | From: U.K. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clyde
Shipmate
# 752

Alexis,
They also have some good Vets on the TV programme
'Animal Hospital' if you get stuck.
Regards

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Wow, I did not know that!

I actually tasted vegemite when an Aussie in my highschool had us all try it. Memory stuck with me forever.

Ok, quiz game...somebody identify this lyric (song and band):

"Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
And he said..."

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the song is Men at Work, Land Down Under. But surely pop quizzes are more Heavenly than Hellish??

oh, and I think you'll find vegemite and marmite are different things

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think any word starting with "veg..." belongs in hell!

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

My bad...I just could not control the urge to do a quiz...and also to make sure that song got stuck in somebody's head besides mine.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well, getting that song stuck in someones head is definitely Hellish [Devil]

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
that song is one of our modern musical icons... by insulting it thusly, thousands of Australians will rise up and throw vegemited and buttered toast at you, especially when you are wearing something nice and clean.
And I will be amongst them, so there!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

This habit explains why Australians have long given up wearing nice, clean clothes.

Alexis

--------------------

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a summary of my comments, since I was away all day:

• Nunc, [Razz]
  • Wood, yes I was. Apparently I still need to get my tongue sharpened. Maybe tomorrow.
  • duchess, you are a cruel, cruel woman. It may take me weeks to get rid of that damn song.
  • Rowen, do whatever you want as long as you don't chunder anywhere near me.
scot

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scot, you need to take more seriously your Christian duty to minister to the sick, even sick Australians. Surely, when I do throw up (chunder) near you, you will visit me? wipe my fevered brow? give me words of encouragement and hope? bring me a lovely present? make me chicken soup?
No?
tsk, tsk, tsk........

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

That depends on whether it happens because you "come from a land down under, where beer does flow..."

I better run, I better take cover.

scot

(duchess, I'm gonna get you for this [Flaming] )

--------------------

Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rowen:
by insulting it thusly, thousands of Australians will rise up and throw vegemited and buttered toast at you, especially when you are wearing something nice and clean...

Remind me to avoid going to Earls Court...

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

- Posted      Profile for The Mid   Email The Mid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I thought since you were Australian maybe you ate that for breakfast.

What's that? A generalisation? I wonder if anyone else can appreciate the irony that if an Australian had generalised about America they would be flamed and stoned and....hang on, I wasn't going to post on this thread.

Just remember this duchess next time someone makes a generalisation about America....

--------------------
For God so loved the world She got involved

Posts: 3022 | From: The Wardroom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

Wow, Mid's offended by a comment about breakfast foods. I used to think the English (and the Welsh) were really thin-skinned, but now I see that you Aussies have them beat hands down.

Does it come from living in an unpopular hemisphere? Would it help if I told you I am a huge Steve Irwin fan?

scot

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

I am afriad not, as he is unpopular here. We blame his personality on the more foreign members of his family, and the adulation of the media overseas.
Certainly, when he was a teen he was normal, as I knew him then...

--------------------

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

Just trying to reach out a hand of reconciliation, and I knew that Paul Hogan was probably not the way to go. [Big Grin]

scot

--------------------

The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

- Posted      Profile for The Mid   Email The Mid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The point I was making was about generalisations. It seems that SOME Americans can generalise freely about whoever they want, but as soon as someone generalises about America, they come out with all guns blazing.

How about a bit of consistency people???

Incidentally, I like vegimite. It had nothing to do with the subject of the generalisation, just the geenralisation in particular.

--------------------
For God so loved the world She got involved

Posts: 3022 | From: The Wardroom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

And, heck, I quite like Scot too... tho I like vegemite more..... [Big Grin] Especially on a fresh bread roll...... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rowen:
And, heck, I quite like Scot too... tho I like vegemite more..... [Big Grin] Especially on a fresh bread roll...... [Big Grin]

I think Scot on a fresh bread roll would leave something to be desired.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

Mid, please try to get it straight - ALL Americans generalize freely about whoever we want. It's a God-given right.

Enjoy your vegemite.

scot

--------------------

Hercule
Apprentice
# 2943

- Posted      Profile for Hercule   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most Americans generalize because that is as specific as they can get. Only the intellectuals--mainly on the left--make distinctions and nuancees and so forth. For this they are called less American or "un-American." So I think a conservative American intellectual would be one who writes books full of generalizations.

--------------------
Let them hate, so long as they fear
-Accius

He collected audiences around him, and flourished and exhibited and harangued -Aesop

Posts: 49 | From: In transit | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by Hercule:
Most Americans generalize because that is as specific as they can get. Only the intellectuals--mainly on the left--make distinctions and nuancees and so forth. For this they are called less American or "un-American." So I think a conservative American intellectual would be one who writes books full of generalizations.

You are so smoking crack! [Flaming] <--crack smoker

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

the Mid and others...let me clarify something.

LOOK...you can make alll theeee generalizations you want about what I eat for breakfast...what music I listen to...etc...I don't give a flying rat's you know what. [I eat bagels with cream cheese most of the time by the way..sometimes wheat bagels with fat free chream cheese and sometimes some fruit like a banana)...You can even
say I look like I laid an egg in my picture I posted (which somebody did...How did you know?)

What I mind though is:
You reading some free-basing book of "America is bad-bad...they are blah-blah" and then come in here and tell us stuff you read from a crack-smoker who has no clue about things in our politics! When you can't even get our govt right...or how our laws work (hint: read up on electrol voting...read up on the Bill of Rights...read up on the 3 branches of govt). If you believe Bill Clinton walks on Water and George Bush sucks eggs...at least have the decency to read up a whole heck of a lot before you make up your minds. Ignorant opinions from outsiders about our politics really bite dead farm animals with bacteria...please at least read up on BOTH SIDES...don't be lazy...read up....PLUUUUEEEZE.

Thank you.

GOD BLESS GEOGRGE W. BUSH and AMERICA, [Sunny]

--------------------

Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
GEOGRGE W BUSH
The GEOGRGE Also Rises.

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016