homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: The Evangelical-Bashing Room: a safe refuge for all of you who want to whinge (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: The Evangelical-Bashing Room: a safe refuge for all of you who want to whinge
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AndT, mate.

You may find this of some use. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
AndT
Shipmate
# 1901

- Posted      Profile for AndT   Author's homepage   Email AndT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great -now you can tell me what that's supposed to mean to me.

[Snore]

--------------------
and

"Concepts create idols. Only wonder grasps anything." st.G-o-N

Posts: 142 | From: Swansea/Surrey | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a *very* gentle hint that you may have missed the point.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Olorin
Shipmate
# 2010

- Posted      Profile for Olorin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gentle, Wood? Are you not feeling well?

--------------------
I wrestled with God, and lost by two falls & a submission.

Posts: 390 | From: Hammersmith, London | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the "gentle" was meant as sarcasm, mate.

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tim V
Shipmate
# 830

- Posted      Profile for Tim V   Author's homepage   Email Tim V   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This could prove useful as well.

--------------------
Scots steel tempered wi' Irish fire.
Is the weapon that I desire.

Posts: 212 | From: The crow's nest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark The Punk.

Quote: "I do NOT walk tightropes"

Then you are not a funambulist.

Greta

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CM if this is true ;

quote:
But is bishop-bashing?

David
orthodox guy who misses the Masturbation thread in T & T

aim more carefully

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood:

You make a number of important points.

Point one refers to my inconsistent approach to Evangelicals and Evangelicalism. You have reminded me that to claim to love someone then deny their spirituality is deeply offensive. I apologise.

Point two refers to my rather repetitious spouting, and how I often back off. The only reason that I can see that I back off is either that 'A' I am wrong, or 'B' that I don't mean what I say. Whichever it is I will "engage brain" before posting on the subject again. The reason I keep coming back to the subject is more complex.

Point three refers to my experience. I have never been eager to share my experience, but it is extremely hard to talk in abstract terms about issues in the church we feel strongly about. I am convinced there are tendencies in all traditions which can be damaging, and I have had more experience of Evangelicalism than any other tradition. Furthermore I spend a lot of time in a sphere dominated by Evangelicalism - it's like making a slipknot fan listen to jazz all day - I get a little pissed some times. In the future I will endeavour to discuss issues without labels.

Point four suggests that I am being modernist about my post-modernism. What you say is true ... if truth exists. [Smile]

Point five consists of five statements that were obviously aimed at my jugular. I didn't find them that offensive, because I found them funny. If anything this demonstrates that on this subject I have degenerated into a self parody.

Point six is incorrect. Evangelicalism did work for me, it doesn't now in quite the same way, but I do appreciate what it gave me.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Wood
# 7

I've PM'd Edward to say thanks for his very gracious apology and to pick up on a couple of points in his post.

Since Edward was my primary target in this thread, it may be time to close it, if the hosts agree.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Olorin:
Gentle, Wood? Are you not feeling well?

Gentle for me.

--------------------
Narcissism.

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well! This is certainly a surprise.

I had no idea, Wood, that you had a specific Target for your thread, as opposed to a general dissatisfaction with the way Evangelicals are treated in Britain.

I'm so glad I didn't add to the thread my post (as a participant and not a host) noting that British evangelicalism is a far different creature than American evangelicalism and pointing out that the Americans posting here probably didn't Have a Clue as to what you were talking about.

If I had made such a statement, I would have obviously seemed to you just as clueless as my compatriots, and for a Host, to be perceived as a Colonial Idiot just won't do. Why, I would have had to find a reason to Savage some of the poor hellposters just to re-establish my Authority.

So you have saved me from an Uncharitable Act. Bravo, Wood!

I have no problem with closing this thread, as I am Bored.By.It. (Chalk it up to an American's Short Attention Span.) I will do so before I go to bed tonight. Since that will be the crack of dawn BST, everyone feel free to PM me if you want me to re-open it so you can continue the debate.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh good my fellow host replied before I thought Of an answer.

Anyway about parish share /quota (CofE thing)
I have come across a CofE churches who haven't paid because;

a) the people do not see the point of giving money to the church (poor teaching about christain giving, I suspect). What little money the church raises goes to keeping the church building warm.

b)Why finance Bishops to live in nice houses.

c) we ain't got a vicar so why should we pay for one.

The above don't seem limited to churchmanship although point 'a' is less likely to be found in evangelical churches.

Anyway isn't quota/ share voluntary?

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I say close it too.

The Parish Share thing was an off the cuff, and deserves a thread on giving ...

Hmmm ...

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So be it.
Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016