homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » T&T: Sex, lies and church (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: T&T: Sex, lies and church
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all...

The first thread on a brand new board. I feel special.

This thread is for discussion of the issues raised (by me) in the special Sex Edition Rant of the Month. Questions, comments, criticisms, whatever... post 'em all here.

[ 18. March 2003, 09:32: Message edited by: Scot ]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB*

Horse marine
# 396

- Posted      Profile for JB*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One full bottle of rum for the person who says what we all were probably thinking.
One case, in fact.

But.

In the Phillips translation somewhere Paul says something like "and they received in their personalities the consequences of their perversions". There are social consequences and there are psychological consequences for anything sex-related, and right now the consequences of church-inspired social control efforts seem to be the dominant effect. Clearly, a social policy that causes more pain and suffering than it prevents is disfunctional and to be modified. However, are there psychological issues to be seen under the social controls?

For example, social standards fence casual contact between members of the opposite sex, inadvertant touching producing instantaneous apology. Is that because our otherwise raging hormones would have us mating at random in the street, the males displaying like farm animals and fighting like wild animals for the opportnuity to procreate?

So (some part of) the church did it badly, very badly in fact. Is a Christian ethic of sex possible outside the church structures? What would it be like? I await the rant.

--------------------
You live, you learn. You learn, you live.

Posts: 1011 | From: State of Amazement and Delight | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Erin, you said it all. Amen and a tot of rum, or the whole cask if you prefer.

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am in awe!

*cheering loudly*

Have as much rum as you can manage and, if you ever wanna be pope, you've got my vote.

Emily

--------------------
Lord, I have sinned, and mine iniquity.
Deserves this hell; yet Lord deliver me.

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plank. Erin's thrown enough people overboard in her time.

More seriously, I just don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with sex. It isn't particularly interesting. It isn't even particularly enjoyable. Frankly I'd much rather have a really good meal and stimulating conversation with someone than have to go to bed with them. The discomfort, infections, and the way I was treated by a series of men over 10 years convinced me 15 years ago that I was never going to put myself through this again for anybody and I have kept that rule without any problems and have no desire to break it.

In short I am disagreeing with Erin's fundamental premise that it's beautiful and fun. Nor do I agree that it is a basic human need. It might be for some people but I'm far happier as a celibate and I'm sure I'm not alone.

As for the church having control - if you sign up to be a member of a church you have to take what goes with it. If you can't agree with the teachings then it probably isn't for you. You can still believe in God without signing on the dotted line and promising this, that and the other. There are fashions in popular morality just as there are in anything else. We routinely accept things that would have been unthinkable a hundred years ago. Who's to say that they won't be unthinkable again in another hundred years?

Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rum, the best, and plenty of it! Surely by the end of the day the ship will be awash with the stuff!
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plank.

The word purile springs to mind. I realize that a rant is not supposed to be a reasoned argument, but is it supposed to be stupid? I'd like to see any real evidence that there is any greater degree of sexual malfeasence within the church than outside it? Or is it true just because you'd like it to be true? But I realize that rants are not supposed to represent any real information, just from the gut (or in this case, slightly lower down) opinions.

Still, one would think that even a rant would not descent to this level of shoddy thinking. But I'll take the bait. Sure, the church is trying to control us. Sure, it is trying to interfere with our private lives? Sure, it is trying to make us worry about oursexual behavior. But what's wrong with that? Jesus and his disciples interfered with folks private lives all the time. Jesus told the woman taken in so-called "adultery" to "sin" no more. [Irony]Who the hell did he think he was, laying such a moral judgement on her? That bastard Jesus even told people what to do with their money! Hadn't he read John Locke? Didn't he know that property was an inalienable right? [/Irony]

Probably the saddest thing is that you think you're being daring and provacative, when in fact you're simply being exactly like everyone else. It's not the church that controls people's live these days. It is the media. And you believe exactly what they tell you.

FCB

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where would you like that mighty cask of rum? And would you like to me to give you a few shoe makers and bag makers to naw on as well?

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sleeper
Shipmate
# 2103

- Posted      Profile for Sleeper   Email Sleeper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Church also uses it's teaching on social justice to control, to make us comfortable developed world people feel guilty for being born where we are.

The Church uses it's teaching on stealing to control. Don't do it, this limits my freedom to get the things I want and need.

The Church teaches us not to envy, it even is trying to control the way we think.

Is it the Church that is trying to control us or God? Being a Christian should not be a matter of man made rules but of living to please God. We are guided in how to do this by both inner impression (the leading of the Spirit) and by the Bible (inspired by the Spirit).

The bible has a lot to say on human sexuality not all expressed equally by church leaders, but the over riding clearly expressed view throughout is that sex is a gift from God to be enjoyed, within the bounds of a covenant relationship. This is not control by the church but control by God. I would agree that an unbalanced teaching on this subject has been unhelpful but the free for all thinking of this generation has huge social impact which we have not fully come to terms with yet.

I have to say that although I disagree profoundly with the rant I think it is one of the most thought provoking articles I have ever read on this subject. (perhaps I just need to widen my range of reading matter)

Posts: 68 | From: The dark recesses of my mind | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't voted yet. From the rant I got a sense of encouragement to throw my inhibitions joyously to the four winds and engage in sex whenever I felt the need. Not comfortable with this.

Call me Paulline, but I think chaste celibacy is something useful and laudable to aspire to. What stops me voting in the negative is that bit at the end: 'Should the church just shut up about sex'. I sure as hell want to tell literalist bigots and fascists to shut up.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a clue for ya, FCB: it's not personal against you. Really. Promise.

Unless, of course, you are "the church", in which case we've got way bigger problems than just my rant.

Coot... the point of my rant is not to go out and screw everything that's not nailed down. I'm trying to say that the church simply can't get this particular subject right, and that until it does so, it needs to just shut its mouth and actually do something useful. The time and energy the church wastes on this argument could have resolved world hunger by now.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ginga
Ship's lurker
# 1899

- Posted      Profile for Ginga     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote rum, but reserve the right to add the word "red" to the begining and speak in a gravelley yet childlike voice at some point in the future, maybe.

I like the idea of not having to feel guilty all the damn time because I happen to favour the fairer sex, but El Cooto's right - a little more focus on monogamy etc might be needed.

Actually, we all pretty much know about that anyway, so never mind. Pure rum, without any pop-culture references.

Posts: 1075 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plank, I'm afraid. Not that Erin has ever made me walk the plank, but I'm afraid a basic premise of her argument just doesn't hold water.

Sex is not - at least not to the individual - a

quote:
basic human need – as vital as food, water, and shelter

Noone ever died because they didn't have sex. Plenty of people are dying right now because they - or more likely their boyfriend or husband - thought they would die if they had to hold off from having sex when their regular partner was away.

I think the church should certainly clean up its act, and I think it could find much better ways to talk about sex. But if people are not to keep on dying, and leaving orphans, and having their children die, we all need to talk about the fact that sex doesn't just happen between two people who feel like enjoying themselves. And that includes the church.

So away with hypocrisy, but keep on talking about sex, please, fellow Christians.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
vascopyjama
Shipmate
# 1953

- Posted      Profile for vascopyjama   Email vascopyjama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a confession. (Well it is Lent.) I get confused about sex. Is it a verb or is it a noun?

My definition of sex involves me being happy inside my own skin. My female skin. Somedays I even want to proudly show the world my female skin.(well carefully, tastefully selected areas)(and not that often I assure you) and I guess that is my problem. What is wrong with celebrating who I am? Afterall God created this voluptous woman. (Ok I have modified it as the years go on....)

Yet I feel guilty, uncomfortable saying the above. I know I got some of that thinking from the church.

I'd like the church to distinguish between sex as in the verb and sex as in the noun.

The church has a place in the discussion because God created sex and sexuality. Just as long as the church doesn't see itself as God!

I think I'd better sail off in my little boat now.

--------------------
Behold the duck. The scent of a wet dog. The familiar ahh of your own bed. Things to ponder.

Posts: 298 | From: The Sea of Turbidity | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plank.

It's only in the last 2 years that I realised that the bible was right about sex. Note, not the church. Because the no church has a monopoly on truth.

Not wholly right, but the 80% that I agree with convinces me that the 20% I disagree with has to be worth considering.

There is no basic right or need to sex. There is a need for freedom of choice about sex.

But God created sex for us to enjoy it. We seem to be suckered into the media representation of what they think it ought to be. We seldom see real marriages on tv, because that sort of intimacy is near impossible to portray.
So they try to fob us off with this pale imitation. And, suckers that we are, we believe it.

Love
angel

Iestyn
Shipmate
# 2422

- Posted      Profile for Iestyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rum from me, though you'll have to water it down with a poor quality cola drink (almost said coke....) As noted above, the comparison with 'food and water' when it comes to sex being 'vital' almost tips the balance.

It's not sex which is vital for humans, surely, but love, and for most, a means by which that love may be expressed. Even celibate people I know have an outlet for their love.....Christians especially.

Watched Moulin Rouge again last night, and a line stuck, something like "The greatest thing that we can learn is to love, and be loved in return" (From another song?)

And isn't it the case that the condemnation we read in the Bible is related to practices which are either exploitative and unloving or have health risks?

I think the Church has for too long been hung up on the practices themselves, when the context has changed. That some denominations (which have married clergy of both genders) consider gay clergy acceptable only if they are celibate is clear evidence for me that it's the sexual act which continues to be a problem and that the proper focus - on loving relationships - is considered secondary.

I see no conflict with Scripture if we got back to condemning exploitation and supporting relationships founded on love.

Iestyn

--------------------
"And we'll be singing Hymns and Arias, Hen wlad fy nhadau, Ar hyd y nos"

Posts: 177 | From: South Wales | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i'm confident erin isn't recommending abusive sex, but thoughtful sex between consenting adults who have not had their psyches crippled by self-serving interests. the idea isn't to force celibates to have sex, but to recognize that other's shouldn't be punished if they don't have that disposition. i won't name church names, but boy, could i.

of course, if that wall were to come down, there'd have to be other changes...and some basic Christian tenets would have to be dusted off.

rum.

Posts: 1236 | From: usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plank

The restictions about sex are in part a reflection of God's wishes for us as human beings and we get this from the Bible. Although the church has dealt with the issues around Sex badly it does not mean that it is completely wrong.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plank.

SOrry. But I found the argument that just because a number of Priests abuse their position sexually, the church cannot teach on sex is mistaken.

Many priests abuse their positions of power - does this mean that the church can't teach about humility? Many priests abuse religion - does this mean that we can't tell people about spiritual matters?

Abuse by the church is an appaling thing, and worthy of round condemnation. But to blame it on the biblical teaching - or to argue that the biblical teaching is wrong because the church seems to enjoy abusing it - is disingenuous at the least, and blatently wrong at the worst.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tim V
Shipmate
# 830

- Posted      Profile for Tim V   Author's homepage   Email Tim V   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plank, I fear. While I find the idea that an institution run by unmarried blokes can hope to dictate how married people should live their lives ridiculous, and while I am sickened by the abuses that people in positions of authority in the church perpetrate and sometimes even get away with, I believe that God has given us sex and with it a set of guidelines for its proper use. Sex is A Good Thing and as such we ought to play by the rules, which are really pretty simple, aren't they?

quote:
As a bisexual divorcée who is called to neither celibacy nor marriage...

Well, I think that these are your only choices, and they haven't been arbitrarily forced upon you by [scary graveyard voice] "The Church". They have been given to us by the same bloke who gave us sex in the first place, and I'm quite happy to do what I'm told.

--------------------
Scots steel tempered wi' Irish fire.
Is the weapon that I desire.

Posts: 212 | From: The crow's nest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

It's worth noting that any argument based on "the Bible says so" is not going to get a response from me.

--------------------

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
It's worth noting that any argument based on "the Bible says so" is not going to get a response from me.

So what is?

angel

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone interested in specifically what the Bible says may be interested in this thread in Kerygmania

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Originally posted by the Angel of the North:
So what is?

angel

Oh, I dunno... something that actually addresses my Rant, perhaps. You know, the topic of "the church needs to just shut up about sex because it has done far more damage than good"?

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the Bible says so

Sorry, just feeling punchy today.

Sex is a gift. I think we would be wise not to misuse it. Is there a "better way" or a "better time" for sex? I think so. Is there an "only way" or an "only time" for sex? I think so, but I'm certainly not always right.

Don't blame it on the church, blame it on the imperfection of particular humans (some of whom make are in the church). Should the church take action when one of its leaders sins (whether sexually or otherwise)? Yes. Is the church wrong to let continued sin go on without correction? Yes. But I don't think the church's error was the first (that would belong to the person who sinned, not the one who failed to correct it) or the worst.

Oh, by the way, plank.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

quote:
Oh, I dunno... something that actually addresses my Rant, perhaps. You know, the topic of "the church needs to just shut up about sex because it has done far more damage than good"?

so it's not meant to preach what it finds from the bible? Or we're not meant to expect it to?

What about the help that the church has given for those having problems with sexual relationships? the definition of News is something out of the ordinary. Abuse by churches is news precisely because of that - it is out of the ordinary. Most of the time churches have at least made an effort to nurture and care for people.

So, because, so far, mankind has singularly made a mess of the planet*, we should give up existing, and commit mass suicide?

The church as whole has a duty to its members. A priest speaks on the Word of God with reference to the needs of the congregation and the wider community. And where ideas of the grass is greener is wrecking marriages, as one issue among many, maybe it does need to be addressed. Just as the church needs to address communication problems between people.

And we are the church. And we are meant to take care of our neighbours - not to the point of outright nosiness, but we have a responsibility to them. And they have a responsibility to us. So we run shelters, feed the homeless and so on. But we are all broken human beings, and if we are not addressing our own needs, the need to be loved and cherished, then how can we help others without accusations of rank hypocrisy.

Love
Angel

*I'm referring to physical destruction of species, rather than any hypothesis regarding global warming or trade or any of the other more contentious topics. Ref: Kew Magazine Winter and Spring 2002 editions.

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

The church has an unhealthy obsession with sex, to the detriment of just about everyone it comes in contact with. If it would expend just 1/100th of that energy on more immediate, pressing concerns than whether or not my having a girlfriend is an abomination unto the Lord, then I'd actually care what it had to say about the subject. The fact that it puts what I do in my own bedroom at the top of its list of concerns illustrates to me that the church, as a whole, simply does not get it.

--------------------

Sleeper
Shipmate
# 2103

- Posted      Profile for Sleeper   Email Sleeper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In that case how do you know what God wants you to do is it by an inner impression alone? If so how can you be sure that is God speaking and that impression is not the result of too much cheese for supper? What standard do you use to judge the teaching of the church? Modern public opinion, that will be different tomorrow. If the authority of the church does not come from the bible is the opinion of it's teachers any more authoritative than the opinions expressed by people on The Oprah Show?

If the authority of the Bible is not a basis on which to base on argument on a Christian board what is?

Posts: 68 | From: The dark recesses of my mind | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

"We have to do X because the Bible says so" is not the subject of my Rant. Go argue biblical infallibility in Purgatory. As far as I'm concerned, it's a boring, tedious argument that I've read far many more times than a human should ever have to, and I have no intention of entering that debate ever again. Which is why I said that I wasn't going to address those arguments. Please pay attention.

--------------------

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

quote:
The church has an unhealthy obsession with sex, to the detriment of just about everyone it comes in contact with. If it would expend just 1/100th of that energy on more immediate, pressing concerns than whether or not my having a girlfriend is an abomination unto the Lord, then I'd actually care what it had to say about the subject. The fact that it puts what I do in my own bedroom at the top of its list of concerns illustrates to me that the church, as a whole, simply does not get it.

Has that more to do with society's perceptions of the church's message? For example I read on the anglican news service four interesting announcements - relating to the Holy Land, supporting the family, and poverty. The fourth, on sex, was the shortest, and not particularly important one, and that was the one that I saw reported on the secular news.

It becomes a vicious cycle. And one the church can't win at.

Is this the local church, or the national church? If local - change church if you feel that strongly, and vote with your feet.

And with national church, often it's the national media picks things up. The church then gets the message that all the news media cares about is sex, and may be doing a lot of other things, but the only thing that will get any attention is sex.
If they don't say anything, then they're accused of brushing perceived problems under the carpet, if they do, then they're preaching on the wrong thing. However much they're talking about anything else.

And then there's the question of personal selective attention to the church's message, as opposed to news media.

Love
Angel

Sleeper
Shipmate
# 2103

quote:
The church has an unhealthy obsession with sex,

I do agree with this though. I chaired a forum at the last British general election with the local candidates from the three main parties and the churches together group. I vetted the questions first and allowed only one question per topic, topics like debt relief for poor nations, involving churches in the delivery of social improvement schemes and so on. The major complaint I received was that I had not allowed more on the issue of sexual behaviour, some if not all of which were totally unsuitable to ask political candidates. If we could expend that energy in the problems of world hunger, poverty and social justice we would be much more effective in the world and the Bible has much more to say about these subjects than sexual behaviour anyway.

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

further to that.

The reason news media focuses on sex is because it sells. And it sells because we, the public buy it.

I don't think I need to spell it out!
Angel

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

The church is threatening schism over issues of sexuality (homosexuality, women in the priesthood, etc.). In my own diocese we had a rector break off and start his own congregation because he didn't think that +Jecko (+Jecko!) was conservative enough. A couple of years ago bishops in Africa consecrated some bishops in the US out of the ECUSA to combat "false teachings".

That's not media bias or perception. That's reality.

--------------------

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

sexuality is simply the tip of an ice-berg. The issues run far deeper than that, but sex is an easy thing to argue about, because it polarises so effectively.

If we took the issue of sex out of the equation such people would still be schismatic. They'd still find things to argue about.

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Hypothetically speaking, you're probably right. But until the church does shut up and quit obsessing about sex, you have no proof of that. So how about they... um... shut up and quit obsessing about it.

--------------------

Ginga
Ship's lurker
# 1899

- Posted      Profile for Ginga     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking about the "shut up about sex and go feed the poor" thing, I agree that the church seems to have it's priorities wrong. I feel a genuine need to broach the subject of my sexuality with my vicar, just to be sure we know where we both stand. Such a situation has never come up around giving money or time to others.

One thing occured to me - we're not "allowed" to say how much we give away: "let not the trumpets go before you". Why can't this just apply to sex as well so we can all be left alone to make the choices we're most comfortable with in ourselves? Speaking as someone who has had all levels of heterosexual celibate and married sex-lives flaunted smugly at me (and no, that's not just paranoia). Or have I missed the point again?

[Erin, I appear to be spending a lot of time posting immediately after you. I'm not stalking you, I promise]

Posts: 1075 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The church has an unhealthy obsession with sex, to the detriment of just about everyone it comes in contact with.

You see, this is where I disagree. The Church has had an unhealthy obsession with control, and power, of which sexuality is a significant tool. But I think the church, in it's teachings, has has much less an obsession with sex as with many other things - to the detriment of all. It has not, in general, been able or prepared to provide teaching on sexual matters, because we have been scared of them.

IMO, the church has a right and a duty to be interested in what you do in your bedroom. Not to the exclusion of all else, or over and above other issues. And not simply to say "NO". But to be concerned with you as a whole person. That includes the bedroom, the loo, and the kitchen.

A freedom to talk about sex and sexuality in all its forms would, IMO, be much more liberating to the many people who are abused by church leaders than an attempt to ignore the issue altogether. If I ( as the church ) cannot comment on your activities, then what right do I have to criticise the pedophile and abusive priests? Ignoring ( or accepting ) sexuality is the route to greater abuse.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

there's enough evidence - the likes of StAG and St Barnabas in Cambridge refusing to pay parish shares because the teaching in certain churches is 'unsound'.
FiF in the UK seem to be churches looking to pick a fight. prior to the vote on women they were grumbling about lots of things that threatened 'their' church. Then the vote went through, and it nicely gave them something to really grumble about.

Usually sex is the one picked up on, but mostly there will be nice documents that outline a range of things - c.f. origin of species - Darwin wrote about a sentence on evolution but that's what it's remembered for

Love
Angel

strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Can I break the mold and say that I don't consider my church to have done more damage than good on sex - mainly because anything I've heard through the church on the topic has been in youth groups where the leaders can make up their own minds and share their own experiences.

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally do listen to arguments from the Bible. However, when the subject of sex comes up what happens? Out come those good old favourite verses that say "don't do it". A few verses, along with a judgemental attitude towards people that do do it (or are prepared to admit that they would want to). And boy are you in trouble if you suggest that there may be leeway in interpreting those passages.

What is the most important passage in relation to sexual morality? The same as any other moral question - Love the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul and love your neighbour as yourself. Going overboard on sex is unloving towards those who seek affirmation of their worth before God, unloving towards those who would otherwise be helped if the Church diverted that energy to helping them.

Tot of rum

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Atticus
Shipmate
# 2212

- Posted      Profile for Atticus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the sentiment, but not with all the arguments.
Agreed: The church should stay out of the bedroom(or anywhere else you have had the pleasure).
Agreed: Sexual gratification is a basic human... instinct(you can survive without it, unlike water, food and air).
Masturbation is, IMO, a reasonable relief of a need or instinct. Promiscuity is not.(here's why):
Agreed: Sex is good. And fun. And sacred and holy and naughty and dirty. And, IMO, is not just a recreation(though it is very entertaining) but also a commitment. Because(especially for women, or sensitive guys) it rarely comes without emotions attached, of some sort. Even a close friendship is based on some sort of commitment. My best friends and I are more committed to each other than I ever have been to a girl, because we have been through a lot together, and there are strong emotions that bond us(as well as interests and memories and dirty jokes). Sex is a highly intimate act, it is the physical equivalent of letting someone know your deepest, darkest most sensitive thoughts, hopes, dreams, feelings. And intimacy needs trust.

I'm not one for the letter of the law, but I do think a very important principle can be gathered from the Scriptures.
-don't fuck around. It never comes without painful(or itchy) consequences.
-don't screw with sex. It's not to be taken lightly.
-don't screw with a couple other things... animals, your mom, vacuum cleaners(ok so the vacuum cleaner passages are ambiguous)

All this to say... Yes Erin, the church has no right to dictate sex rules(individual associations have every right to limit membership to whomever they wish though). But the Bible does have some valueable insight about how not to screw up with sex.
Atticus
(I don't even shake hands with someone I don't respect)

--------------------
This time it's for real, I'm really gone until August. For real. Gone. Bye.

"My life would be a lot simpler if I were gay."

Posts: 321 | From: off the deep end | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The fact that it puts what I do in my own bedroom at the top of its list of concerns illustrates to me that the church, as a whole, simply does not get it.

Yes, this is why I vote for rum -- I agree with Church doctrine, or traditional Church doctrine, on this point. But the doctrines I learned, I learned more in terms of abstract theology -- not from Church "culture." I was not raised a Christian (or indeed in any religion) -- and it was Christianity which taught me that the body, and sex, and matter, were indeed Good Things, made and hallowed by God, to be resurrected on The Last Day, etc., rather than just a throwaway shell we inhabit till we die (etc. -- my mother's always been into reincarnation, somewhat, and her beliefs didn't really help my way of looking at the body at all). I do believe in "rules" about what we can and can't do with our bodies -- and that it is right and proper for the Church to teach them -- but the way this has been handled has of late (last century or three?) not been too good, in my view.

(I mean, to take an example -- Bishop Spong of Newark has attracted MUCH more attention for his views on homosexuality than his denial of Jesus' bodily Resurrection from the dead! And he is not alone -- that sort of doctrinal shift had been going on for decades among clergy -- and then people get in an uproar about sex. A very human reaction, I am sure -- just not the right focus. That's the kind of thing I mean.)

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe there is a measure of perception here. The church has an unhealthy obsession with far more than sex. I wish they'd shut up about money. I wish they'd shut up about demons. spiritual warfare and Satan. I wish they'd shut up about worship and spiritual gifts. If I believed all the pronouncements coming forth from "church bodies" on these issues, I would be in more trouble than over sexual issues.

Churches say a lot of misguided, crazy things to control us (or lead us). But in truth; don't we use a measure of reasoning to filter this stuff through our own insight, knowledge, experience...? We aren't like little lambs being led off to slaughter.
Or zombie robots. We hear what the church says; and make our own decisions still. Sometimes with good consequences and sometimes bad.

Sex as a weapon is a true concept, but I don't see the church as the one firing most of the bullets. The media, the capitalistic money market - even the sinful power of one abusive person over another seem a bigger threat.

Sorry, Erin - I don't see that the argument has been developed enough to state that the church has done more damage than good. It's a leap I can't make to come to that conclusion.

Plank..............(sigh)
Because my heart and soul is in this issue......

Hugs/Bess

Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheers, applause and as much rum as you can drink Erin.

Have you read 'Godless Morality' by Richard Holloway (ex bishop of Edinburgh, one of my heroes) - lots of good sense in it and sounds like you would like much of it.

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Atticus
Shipmate
# 2212

- Posted      Profile for Atticus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
since I didn't specify... tot of rum. Despite my obnoxious "ifs","buts" and "ain'ts". Who wants the clergy between our sheets anyway?

please don't answer that.

Posts: 321 | From: off the deep end | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plank - as won't come as a surprise to those of you who've read the material I've written on the thread linked to.

Kerygmania thread

IMO the reason why the church's comments on sex are so much the focus of the media's attention is that we are almost the only people opposing the general legitimacy of promiscuity and homosexuality (well, some of us!). By contrast the comments on world hunger, the environment etc are echoes of many other groups in society - so the 'media interest' in the view is far less significant.

However I would like to pick up on another point:

quote:
Bishop Spong of Newark has attracted MUCH more attention for his views on homosexuality than his denial of Jesus' bodily Resurrection from the dead!

Talking to a bishop who has now retired, he was unwilling to act on any of the complete tosh from the likes of Don Cupid on the ground that it wasn't affecting people's behaviour so let the theologians play in their sand pit. 15 years on and the traditional beliefs of the church in sexual morality are in big trouble because the theologians in their sand pit have actually all but demolished the foundation of the church's authority (and vast swathes of the church are ignoring traditional teaching for the views of the world....)

[edited to fix scroll lock]
[tried again]

[ 11 March 2002: Message edited by: Louise ]

[ 11 March 2002: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:

Talking to a bishop who has now retired, he was unwilling to act on any of the complete tosh from the likes of Don Cupid on the ground that it wasn't affecting people's behaviour so let the theologians play in their sand pit. 15 years on and the traditional beliefs of the church in sexual morality are in big trouble because the theologians in their sand pit have actually all but demolished the foundation of the church's authority (and vast swathes of the church are ignoring traditional teaching for the views of the world....)

ES, I think this is simplistic. It's very easy to divide the Church up into 'liberal' pantomine villains and 'orthodox' heroes. I, though, and many like me [including at least one person hotly tipped for the top job in the CofE], would want to take a progressive line of lesbian/gay relationships NOT because I have abandoned credal Christianity, but because I think that belief in Creation and Incarnation demands a rethink of "traditional teaching."

In actual fact very little of Christian homophobia is well grounded in Tradition (understood, as it must be, with reference to God's act of self-communication in Christ.) Rather the (SECULAR) notions of family values, social stability, gender roles etc. are made to do a lot of the argumentative donkey-work, and the very dubious (and again, secular, albeit old and secular) notion of natural law is invoked.

We are very good at making God in our own image, 'conservatives' just as much as 'liberals.'

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:

...from the likes of Don Cupid...

ROTFLMAO!!!

*snort* *giggle*

I'm sure Mssr Cupit would be pleased

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Canucklehead
Shipmate
# 1595

- Posted      Profile for Canucklehead   Author's homepage   Email Canucklehead   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plank.

Perhaps the reason that the church seems to harbour such an "unhealthy obsession with sex" is because so many of its adherants hold to such unhealthily liberal anything goes views of sex. So it becomes a question of cleaning up your own back yard so that you can reach out to the rest of the world more effectively.

I don't necessarily agree that the church does expend too much energy on confronting sexual issues. But even if they did, I would prefer that than to see them sitting back and winking at error rather than opposing it head on.

Posts: 135 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sex, basic need? I doubt it.

Church, yes it can be a bit screwed up in regard to sex, but not all of the Church is the same.

Is the Church hurting people, or are they hurting themselves.

So Erin, its the plank from me (But I bet you sent ME down the plank last year!)

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016