homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » T&T: Sex, lies and church (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: T&T: Sex, lies and church
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over the years we've heard just about every view on these boards. For a good take on the homosexuality question for example check out the Homosexuality and Christianity thread in the Archive (there'll be other threads in the Archive that address other aspects - not to mention threads on this board)

Alan

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Strauss
Apprentice
# 2646

- Posted      Profile for Strauss         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, like I asked in my last post(in so many words)-If the Bible is not the inerrant Word of God, why are you wasting your time on what you call Christianity? I certainly am not claiming that it is inerrant or even from "God", but isn't it the Bible that tells you what you know about what you believe?
As I said a couple of posts ago, I no longer claim to be a Christian, but I have something for all of you to chew on:
If, if, the Bible is from God-it is inerrant.
If, if, there are truly errors in the Bible, then it is not from God.

Posts: 9 | From: Colorado, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
host hat on

Strauss,
If you want to discuss sex then this is the correct board, but if you want to discuss Biblical inerrancy and faith then the correct board for that is Purgatory and you need to start a new thread as I don't see on one that subject at the moment.

L.

host hat off

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Strauss
Apprentice
# 2646

L.
I see how it looks like we've drifted off to another subject, but this is all very interrelated, don't you see? It began with Erin's rant on sex and the church, (specifically homosexuality) and my curiousity as to how her views could be squared with a fundamentalist view of the Bible, i.e., inerrant, and with passages condemning behaviors she refers to.
I guess I am done, since it appears I am not going to get a direct answer.
'Till next time!

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Strauss:
If, if, the Bible is from God-it is inerrant.
If, if, there are truly errors in the Bible, then it is not from God.

Duh! <slaps forehead> Oh Gee - I never thought of that before. Thanks Strauss

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
how her views could be squared with a fundamentalist view of the Bible

Two points.
1) for those who don't hold "fundamentalist" views of the Bible there's no problem
2) even if a "fundamentalist" view is held, that doesn't mean that the church doesn't say too much about sex and not enough about other Biblically important subjects - and that's the main thrust of Erins' Rant

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strauss, as you asked me AND Erin to justify our views, I will add mine.

There are those who accept the Bible as if it has just come down from the sky already written by God himself.
But what others, including myself, see is that the Bible was written as several different books at several different times and, like everything else which is written, even today, it was written through a cultural screen of the times. Everything we think or do or say is processed through our cultural understanding of our upbringing and life experience. So any views on sex, family life and anything else which was written thousands of years ago has to be understood in these terms. So it is not that we don't believe what is written, it is that we remember to put our historical and anthropological spectacles on when we read.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It began with Erin's rant on sex and the church, (specifically homosexuality) and my curiousity as to how her views could be squared with a fundamentalist view of the Bible, i.e., inerrant, and with passages condemning behaviors she refers to.
I guess I am done, since it appears I am not going to get a direct answer.
'Till next time!

For the LAST TIME, you DID get an answer. I'll use stronger words (and bold!) so that maybe you'll pay attention this time: I don't give a flying rat's ass about squaring my views with a fundamentalist view of the Bible. I don't subscribe to a fundamentalist view of the Bible, I don't care about a fundamentalist view of the Bible, and I'm not interested in engaging with a fundamentalist view of the Bible, as I think it is WRONG.

Get it yet, dearie?

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin - I've just realised that I've often tied myself up in knots trying to square things with my fundementalist past, when in fact I just don't work like that any more. I couldn't have stated it as bluntly as you did ("Reserved British Male = emotional wimp"? Discuss) but it did me good to hear you say that. Another tot of rum for the lady, bartender!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. It just irritates me when people insist I haven't answered the question, when in fact they mean I haven't given them the answer they want to hear.

"How do you square this with an inerrant view of the Bible?"

"Well, I don't adhere to an inerrant view of the Bible, so I don't."

"Yes, but how do you square this with an inerrant view of the Bible?"

"That's not my position, so I don't."

"I want to know how you square this with an inerrant view of the Bible, but it's clear you're not going to give me an answer."

"Are you illiterate or just annoying?"

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clyde
Shipmate
# 752

- Posted      Profile for Clyde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Erin,
As your Rant concerns Sex and the Christian
Church, is it unreasonable that you are being
asked to take into consideration what the Bible has to say?

--------------------
I've not been on the ship for a long time. I'm very old now and don't like it when the sea gets rough.

Posts: 1279 | From: England. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Yes, it is, because I'm not ranting about the church's position on sex. I'm saying that it just needs to shut the hell up, regardless of its position on sex. I didn't think it was a difficult concept to grasp, but clearly I was mistaken.

That wasn't the point, anyway. Strauss said that I wasn't answering his question, which was an outright lie, as I was.

--------------------

Strauss
Apprentice
# 2646

Erin,
Now, with all your jumping up and down, cursing, and calling names, you went and hurt my feelings. I forgive you.
Maybe a different angle will work better for you. Surely you know of passages in the Bible condemning homosexuality..In front of all of your fans, do you or do you not believe that those are from God, and do you or do you not feel that they apply to our society today, and why?
If you do not feel that you need to explain your positions, then perhaps you should not publicly put them out there on a bulletin board format, where people might ask you questions about those positions.
I know. ANNOYING! My apologies in advance.

Atticus
Shipmate
# 2212

- Posted      Profile for Atticus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
how a diplomat sticks his foot in his mouth politely... skillfully done Strauss.
P.S. Erin, as a devoted reader of your harsh posts all your fans are looking to you to step in line with fundamentalist Christian tradition here and tow the line just like everyone else. I trust you will not let us down.

--------------------
This time it's for real, I'm really gone until August. For real. Gone. Bye.

"My life would be a lot simpler if I were gay."

Posts: 321 | From: off the deep end | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Sarcasm looks really bad on you, Strauss.

quote:
In front of all of your fans, do you or do you not believe that those are from God, and do you or do you not feel that they apply to our society today, and why?

No and no. Because I AM NOT a biblical inerrantist. Seriously, why do you keep beating this dead and rotting horse? I've answered this question for the last time. You can keep posting it and posting it until your fingers fall off, and you will not get another response to this same question that I've answered FOUR times now.

It is boring and tedious.

[ 15 April 2002: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Oh, and now that I've answered your questions, you can answer mine. What the HELL do your questions have to do with the subject of the Rant? As far as I can see, precisely jackshit, so perhaps you can actually spell out the connection for me.

Much obliged.

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
host hat on

Strauss,

Erin has made it clear several times on this thread that she is discussing whether the Church says too much about sex and whether it's time for it to shut up.

What she is not discussing on this thread - as she has repeatedly made crystal clear - are issues of biblical authority.

If you want to engage with her on whether the church focuses too much on sex, then do so on this thread.

However if your beef is a personal one with Erin that you want to talk biblical authority and she says it's irrelevant to this, then you need to take that to the Hell board which is where we take all personal disputes (as you should have read in the ten commandments for these boards) and start a thread on the subject there.

Given your arrogant, sarcastic and highly condescending tone you are in no position to complain about Erin.

Louise

BTW If you do want to discuss general issues of biblical interpretation/biblical authority, please do so on the appropriate threads (Biblical Inerrancy in Purgatory or for biblical teaching on homosexulaity - 'Homosexuality - are we all against it' on this board)

host hat off

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
radagast
Shipmate
# 2197

- Posted      Profile for radagast   Author's homepage   Email radagast   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
just to return to the rant,
i once went to cook at a camp,
and i had to fill in a form saying who i was and that i was of good character and stuff.

so i'm doing it at work, and i'm explaining to cameron that i have to say who i am and get a reference from a priest, to make sure i'm not a paedophile or anything.

and cameron says "they want a PRIEST to verify you're not a paedophile?????"

asdnrew

Posts: 55 | From: sydney | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clyde
Shipmate
# 752

- Posted      Profile for Clyde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This discussion on the Rant seems to have ended rather abruptly.
Does this mean that Erin has leapt off
the Plank?

--------------------
I've not been on the ship for a long time. I'm very old now and don't like it when the sea gets rough.

Posts: 1279 | From: England. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde:
This discussion on the Rant seems to have ended rather abruptly.
Does this mean that Erin has leapt off
the Plank?

Hehehe - oh no It means all those dissenters have been quelled, and she's sleeping the sleep of the very drunk

I'm guessing at some point all the votes will be totted up, and Erin will either take a walk, or give a speech. And you can find this out by checking back to where the rant is, at regular intervals.

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016