homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » MW: Bizarre Practices The Second: Protestants (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW: Bizarre Practices The Second: Protestants
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost the only time a Church Meeting is of any interest is the first one after being admitted to membership, when you can read the minutes of the previous meeting to find out what was said about you during the discussion of admission to membership.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:

Now, these testimonials. I rather imagine them taking place like this:
Wood: "Hello, my name is Wood, and I am a Christian."
Baptists: "Hello Wood!"
Wood: "Before I was a Christian I whored around and drank myself silly."
Baptists: "Amen".
Wood: "After I found Jesus, I don't do that stuff anymore."
Baptists: "Amen brother!"
Wood: "Now that I found Jesus, I am saved."
Baptists: "Amen Amen."
Wood: "And now instead of boozing and shagging, I evangelise people."
Baptists: "Amen!"
Followed by some splashing in a large pool.

Now that I have recovered from my paroxysms of helpless laughter...

HT - first, you clearly haven't been to a business meeting. It's a different proposition entirely, although Astro is (hopefully) taking the mickey a little about the content...

Now. First: a 'testimonial' is a footie match rlayed in honour of a retiring footballer. A 'testimony' is exactly what it says - a bearing of witness.

Leave out the 'amen's', first. Only our American cousins do that, AFAIK. And the statements are rarely so simple. Think instead as a very short sermon, delivered using personal experience rather than whatever it is your preacher man uses to make his points with.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some Baptist churches that attempt to have the best of both worlds by "dedicating" babies, something arch-conservative Baptists criticise as being dry baptism.

Greta

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Dedicating" babies was quite ususal in the Baptist circles I frequented. And I would say it is not so much dry baptism as the Churching of Women without the overtones of ritual uncleanness.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It also is about giving thanks for the safe delivery of mother and child, and thanks for the new life.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It occurs to me that what one considers bizarre is based on one's history and comfort level. What is familiar is comfortable and makes sense (at least emotionally) because it is familiar.

For example: Those who do not believe in infant baptism consider it extremely bizarre that one would take a tiny baby, one who barely has sentience (I can probably find the exact age at which developmental psychologist Jerome Kagan postulates that sentience occurs in the human), and have a sacramental ceremony **done to** him/her, outside of the child's understanding and consent.

On the other hand, those who do not consider the apostolic succession to be important consider it bizarre that other people would consider that a mystical force is **handed down** by the laying on of hands. And that without such a proof of unbroken succession, the person saying the formula for doing the eucharist is not the proper person to do so and the eucharistic meal is therefore "invalid." Can the apostolic succession people really prove an unbroken line all the way back to St. Peter? Because I would consider a paper trail surviving that long to be very much miraculous!

So let's cut one another a little slack, shall we?

Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frater_Frag
Shipmate
# 2184

- Posted      Profile for Frater_Frag   Email Frater_Frag   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nancy Winningham:
[QB]

Can the apostolic succession people really prove an unbroken line all the way back to St. Peter? Because I would consider a paper trail surviving that long to be very much miraculous!

It´s not nescessary to trace the line back to S:t Peter! There was after all thirteen apostles, including Paulus. If you read Eusebius and the other early writers, you will find that the notion of apostolic succesion is there from the beginning.

--------------------
Theological Dissident,
Fencing Instr :)

"Mammals have hair, whales are mammals. Therefore whales have hair... Shave the whales!"

Posts: 500 | From: Linköping/Sweden | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:

We had a discussion about this, when some Anglican friends visited a baptism and some of the candidates were baptised "in the name of Jesus" and others "trinitarianly". They came to the conclusion that as it all took place in the context of a trinitarian service, the baptism was validly trinitarian, and the words were not to be taken legalistically.

Carys,
I think it was just the idiosyncricity of the different people doing the dunking, and because there were many candidates, the baptisers changed every so often - they didn't have parents baptising their own children, for example.

The other thing was that the candidates gave their testimony while still dry, but while in the water they were prayed for and prophesied over, so it took a while for each baptism. And I think that the church as a whole woudn't have distinguished or bothered about the actual words, as they were not into the legality of the thing. The importance was the actual public witness to having accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour. That's what made the baptism valid, not a form of words, although since everyone was well taught , they would have automatically used the right words as they would come from deep within them.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Double post, and quoting from my post on 'baptism' thread.

My own children were dedicated, and the service is very similar to C of S "baptism', without the water, almost same words.

The bit that always moves me is when we hand the babies over to the minister or whoever is leading the dedication service, as a symbol of our recognition that the baby belongs to God, not us, and then are given back the baby in trust, so that we bring them up lovingly and carefully - a great responsibility and privilege.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016