homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » SF - Is the church beyond saving? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SF - Is the church beyond saving?
Old Fashioned Crab
Shipmate
# 1204

- Posted      Profile for Old Fashioned Crab     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
there's a lot more to being church than fitting in with the power structure of your chosen denomination
Can someone please tell me what this habit of leaving out "the" from before the word "Church" is all about. I put this one in the really annoying Christian words thread. So please explain.

--------------------
O dear white children casual as birds,
Playing among the ruined languages,
So small beside their large confusing words,
So gay against the greater silences
Of dreadful things you did

Posts: 397 | From: Croydon UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
steve collins

Shipmate
# 224

- Posted      Profile for steve collins   Author's homepage   Email steve collins   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
someone will come along with a proper academic explanation in a moment, but in the meantime...

'the Church' is usually used to mean the Church as institution, as a whole, or at least a very large part of it. for a small group to say it was being 'the Church' would seem like a rather grand claim. and if one says 'part of the Church' it's just stating that one belongs in some way to the institution.

'being church' [small c] means that one is participating in what it means to be the Body of Christ, but not necessarily doing everything that word could include, or setting up structures [not necessarily being A church, then]. it's a phrase that deliberately doesn't make big claims about the completeness or authority of what one is doing. it's more about church as activity - something one makes or explores.

Posts: 287 | From: london | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Fashioned Crab
Shipmate
# 1204

- Posted      Profile for Old Fashioned Crab     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seemed to start at one specific moment, the use of this phraseology. Does it stem from some book?

--------------------

Bing
Shipmate
# 1316

- Posted      Profile for Bing     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not really comfortable intruding on private griefs as expressed here - from my precarious vantage point way out on the lunatic fringe I see it thus:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Church - it is precisely in the superb condition it's Maker and sustainer is intending. The wannabes and impostors and those who are busy creating this that or the other denomination with it's hierarchy, tradition and ecclesiological verities will have to get used to it. Their own versions of the church are their business - God's church is doing fine. Hope I'm in it.

--------------------
I once was bald.

Posts: 120 | From: Hull | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not convinced that the Established church is failing. It is still Baptising, Burying, Celebrating the Eucharist, praying for the Sick and Dead, feeding people's spirituality, etc.

However it does those things without pulling in big crowds on a Sunday. Who cares, I don't. The Evangelicals care and so we have this model of church which is a Church of
the converted, of attenders, a community a clique. I reject that too, the Idea of Church as Community in itself has been completely over emphasised.

Hang on I see a Rant coming on.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

- Posted      Profile for rosemary   Author's homepage   Email rosemary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although I don't think big numbers are the be and end all, it seems to me that something must be wrong when we are down to 7-8 per cent of the population and many people who are leaving are people who would define themselves quite strongly as Christians.

I think we actually need more community - but not an inward looking one for the church itself - one that comes back to base to go out into the world. The church I went to near Cambridge did actually try and partially succeed on that one, but most others don't. or are too spread out to manage.

--------------------
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Confucius

Posts: 743 | From: cardiff | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

- Posted      Profile for Adrian   Author's homepage   Email Adrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sacredthree:
It is still Baptising, Burying, Celebrating the Eucharist, praying for the Sick and Dead, feeding people's spirituality, etc.

is it? maybe a point in that people still like funerals, but none of my friends kids are baptised, nor do i know anyone who takes the eucharist apart from my church friends.

and feeding peoples' spirituality? give me break. people are looking everywhere *but* the church for spirituality.

i constantly see little shrines of flowers at the side of the street where people have died in accidents, i see people getting mystical about george and john, i see the impromtue shrines commemorating sept 11th - this seems to be the real expression of people's spirituality.

this kind of public mourning didn't happen (at least not without the official church ritual) 50 years ago.

i think the church is gonna have to wake up to the fact that people now consider spirituality their own province, to adapt, nurture and believe in as they see fit.
but will it? nah. it still thinks it has the one and only 100% original version of spirituality and woe betide the person who wants to explore that without being dictated to.

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

Posts: 992 | From: sunny scarborough, uk | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is still Baptising, Burying, Celebrating the Eucharist, praying for the Sick and Dead, feeding people's spirituality, etc.

And yet it's still leaking members like there's no tomorrow.

Monica Furlong makes a very interesting point in her book "C of E" - the Church made a special regulation to stop the threatened exodus of a tiny minority who disagreed with a particular theological point, yet does bugger all (not her words, natch) to stop the massive seepage for all the other reasons. I don't like much church-packing either - but the question has to be asked, what's the point of hatching, matching and dispatching people if it has no effect whatsoever either on them, the community or the state we live in?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Neil
Apprentice
# 1980

- Posted      Profile for Neil   Email Neil   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems to me we need to look at what the church is. As I'm just tagging on to the end of this discussion forgive me if someone else has already said this, but the church (as I understand it) is the community of God, whoever and wherever that is - just as Israel were called to be in the OT, being God's witnesses on Earth of His Divine Majesty.

As for whether the church is beyond saving - I've often got to the point of despondent despair, but then I remember that Christ died for it, and that these are my brothers and sisters, and therefore my perspective is regained. If the church is the institution of organized religion - yeah, prob is dead (or dying), but the people of God are very much alive and growing.

Posts: 1 | From: York | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian:
hmm. maybe the church *is* beyond saving if all we can do is debate authority & power structures. there's a lot more to being church than fitting in with the power structure of your chosen denomination.

surely we're gonna have to think beyond these confines if the church is to ever re-engage with the real world?

I think you're right Adrian ( did I really say that? ). I think that the church is worth saving, both in the sense of the denominational structures and the people. But I also think that the church needs to change radically in its approach to being church. We need a new ecclesiology, because the old one is not working any more. But in as much as the church can and will change, it will survive. But very different from what it looks today, both in terms of structures and in terms of its place and role in the community it serves.

The role of a minister will also change in line with that, so I think understanding our own denominations structures is important. I want to remain Anglican, but I also want the CofE to continue to move more and more towards being a church of and for the people.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dyfrig says that the CofE is leaking like theres no tomorrow: unfortunately some of the blame in my generation has to be placed at the housechurch leaders' door - they conducted a concerted campaign back in the 1970s to knock the CofE (and other established denominations) as much as possible, to persuade young worshippers to switch to their brand of Christianity which supposedly was more 'alive'. The trouble was, they were very effective at the church knocking but not so effective at the permanent recruiting, therefore far more people were persuaded to leave the church than to change to a different denomination. The church does not get saved by other Christians rubbishing it.

As I mentioned elsewhere it is hard to go to an ecumenical youth service these days without finding that one of the worship leaders makes a derogatory statement as a cheap knock-down of the CofE. What sort of message of the church is that giving young people?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rosemary:
Although I don't think big numbers are the be and end all, it seems to me that something must be wrong when we are down to 7-8 per cent of the population and many people who are leaving are people who would define themselves quite strongly as Christians.

Yep - I agree ( Now I've read to the end of the thread ). The problem is not numbers as such, but about where people are finding their spiritual home. If people are leaving the church ( as they are ), but still wanting to be Christians, then surely the church is failing in one of its primary purposes, to be the gathered body of Christians.

I notice your list, Ed, missed out marrying. Now people can get married almost anywhere, we have seen a huge drop in the number of church weddings. The church is not the natural option for people to find spirituality, which means - IMO - that it is failing people.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the point I was trying to make is that people have different understandings of church.

I know many CofE parishes that are not only doing the traditional church things, but also reacting to Post-Modernism. However many are not, and I am fairly convinced that the Idea of church as insular community is something which won't work in the future.

Im very tempted to start a new website "FutureShapeOfChurch.co.uk" to look at different models for doing church.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Im very tempted to start a new website "FutureShapeOfChurch.co.uk" to look at different models for doing church.

Please do, S3, it would be very interesting.

--------------------

Old Fashioned Crab
Shipmate
# 1204

quote:
different models for doing church
What an ugly phrase. Sounds like a bodily function.

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

quote:
Originally posted by Old Fashioned Crab:
What an ugly phrase. Sounds like a bodily function.

Your point being?

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Old Fashioned Crab
Shipmate
# 1204

Sorry that was just a knee jerk. Someone explained 'being Church to me' on another thread recently. I like the idea behind it. I'm all for unstructured Church-like activity. Subversive stuff. I'd like to see such a website too.

--------------------

magnificat
Apprentice
# 1823

- Posted      Profile for magnificat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Call me a pea-brained idealist, but what I'd really like to get involved in is the style of worship practised by the first Christians.

I think the Church as it is at present is beyond saving and deservedly so. There seems to be an over-emphasis on worldliness and a grasping for more money to keep the church building open; vicars complain of near-poverty when they know nothing about poverty (they ought to try living on the minimum wage indefinitely WITH rent to pay!); maybe I'm going to the wrong church, but mine seems to be nothing more than a mildly religious social club for gentlefolk.

I'm sure the very early Church was different and there was more of a community feel. That's what happens when the Church stops being persecuted and joins the ranks of the respectable and the Estbalishment.

Posts: 16 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I think if you do a course in church history, Magnificat, you would be surprised at how unlike your ideal the early church actually was. I gather next year that a course in church history will be available on line from exeter uni, there may be others also.

--------------------

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it's because you only hear about the raving heretics, but it's always seemed to me that there were a lot of very weird people in the early church... just like now really!

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Magnificat - you're a pea-brained idealist. Just so you're happy!

Seriously, I have sympathy with your points, to an extent. But I also agree that your view of the early church is as much coloured by 21st Century perspectives as anything. The early church was not ( necessarily ) poor, but they did excercise come degree of community living.

The church today can be a social club for the middle classes, but it doesn't have to be. Clergy are often poor, although ( quite rightly ) not at poverty levels. But their expenses can be high.

I think you are an idealist, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It means that achieving your ideals is probably impossible, because such a state never existed. But keep your ideals, in principle, and help to change the state of the church into a better one, one more in keeping with Christian principles. Idealists are both a pain in the side of the church, and a necessary counter to the conservative elements.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Old Fashioned Crab
Shipmate
# 1204

quote:
Clergy are often poor, although ( quite rightly ) not at poverty levels. But their expenses can be high.

Rubbish. I've never seen a truly poor C of E clergy person yet. RC clergy get half the stipend and they seem to manage. OK they aren't likely to have children (!) but they don't have the possibility of a second salary either. My vicar lives in a nine bedroom house alone!

--------------------

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
unfortunately some of the blame in my generation has to be placed at the housechurch leaders' door - they conducted a concerted campaign back in the 1970s to knock the CofE (and other established denominations) as much as possible, to persuade young worshippers to switch to their brand of Christianity which supposedly was more 'alive'. The trouble was, they were very effective at the church knocking but not so effective at the permanent recruiting, therefore far more people were persuaded to leave the church than to change to a different denomination. The church does not get saved by other Christians rubbishing it.

Of course, it would be silly to claim that this was anything but a minor reason for people leaving the church in general - after all, far more people are leaving the church than are going to other denominations.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

- Posted      Profile for rosemary   Author's homepage   Email rosemary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
Of course, it would be silly to claim that this was anything but a minor reason for people leaving the church in general - after all, far more people are leaving the church than are going to other denominations.

Of course it would, Wood (!), but much of the growth alleged by housechurch leaders was actually a shifting round from other denominations. If someone was not a Christian ( in their view) until they demonstrated either an emotional religious experience or speaking in tongues, then they could claim people were converted.

However, what I find more disturbing was the influence the housechurch had on the charismatic movement within the Anglican church. My perception of renewal in the 70's was of a gentle movement within the Church, which took account of both suffering and joys in the life. This was hijacked by a far more aggressive and triumphalist approach which seemed to major on joy and downplay the role suffering/coping with everyday life figures in spirituality. Therefore when people came across difficulties, they could not admit to them, and dropped out of church. Not the only reason for the decline of the church, but an important one nevertheless.

One of the big plusses of alt worship IMO is that both suffering and joy can be incorporated, because it is very much about where you are with God, and leaves a lot more room for individual response to God because the framework is much looser. Similarly, there are more linkages with spirituality and life outside church issues e.g. Urban Mass, and Adrian's stuff on the Holy City.

But if people are too browned off with church, it can be a big step back even into alt worship, which again, means numbers can be low, especially if the existing group is small and taken up with planning worship, and therefore may have little time to nurture and fan the flames of hope alive in those who are burned out on church.

Gosh that is an amazingly long post for me....

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Of course it would, Wood (!), but much of the growth alleged by housechurch leaders was actually a shifting round from other denominations. If someone was not a Christian ( in their view) until they demonstrated either an emotional religious experience or speaking in tongues, then they could claim people were converted.

However, what I find more disturbing was the influence the housechurch had on the charismatic movement within the Anglican church. My perception of renewal in the 70's was of a gentle movement within the Church, which took account of both suffering and joys in the life. This was hijacked by a far more aggressive and triumphalist approach which seemed to major on joy and downplay the role suffering/coping with everyday life figures in spirituality. Therefore when people came across difficulties, they could not admit to them, and dropped out of church. Not the only reason for the decline of the church, but an important one nevertheless.

Well done, Rosemary, this was pretty much what I was trying to say, only you said it so much better.

What is interesting is the different conclusion you have come to: you use this as a basis for putting forward alt.worship as the next step; I on the other hand decided to reject the message that the Cof E was rotten and beyond redemption (which I happen to think was a very warped view borne out of bitterness of the housechurch leaders at that time) and consequently made an effort to stay within the established church. Probably was much easier to do this than for people who have gone right away to then come back - a huge step for some.

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

I bet we are all tired of this discussion. So I'll keep writing.

This whole debate reminds me of that between Dr Lloyd-Jones and Stott 40 odd years ago, where the Evangelicals couldn't decide (or fell out about at least) to stay in or out of the traditional denominations. I think Alt.Worship having the same argument is a bit sad and suggests the church hasn't really grown up that much.

My vision for church is compatable with the established church. It might work outside of it as well.

I want church to be in the community, rather than just a community or instead of the community.

I want worship to be multisensual and interactive, open and explorative in its various forms.

I want tradition to be the wider story that we are part of, that what we do is part of a larger whole.

I want ministers who are guides and representatives not leaders and managers.]

I want all that with fries and coke in about 3 minutes please.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nanny always said 'He who wants never gets'.

Cosmo

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
your nanny obviously had more complex grammar than mine, plus only male charges

Actually I didn't have a nanny but my mum and aunts always said "I want, doesn't get"

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

Hey I'm a go getting child of the Thatcher Revolution. I want I'll go get it!

I'm a Tiger!

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I found out on SOF no less that She is in fact a Nominalist......
Ah, the famed William of Ockham.....

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Well done, Rosemary, this was pretty much what I was trying to say, only you said it so much better.

What is interesting is the different conclusion you have come to: you use this as a basis for putting forward alt.worship as the next step; I on the other hand decided to reject the message that the Cof E was rotten and beyond redemption (which I happen to think was a very warped view borne out of bitterness of the housechurch leaders at that time) and consequently made an effort to stay within the established church. Probably was much easier to do this than for people who have gone right away to then come back - a huge step for some.

Chorister, at the moment I do a bit of both. I attend an Anglican church and prefer the Anglican bit to the charismatic bit, but tend to feel the latter has the upper hand at present. But I do alt worship mainly outside the church, because it is seen as a one off, rather than something that could be offered on a more regular basis. But then the situation is different in Wales from England, and who knows what would happen if I moved country (unlikely though that is).

--------------------

steve collins

Shipmate
# 224

- Posted      Profile for steve collins   Author's homepage   Email steve collins   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
chorister and rosemary: thanks for a couple of brilliant posts.

it's funny the way we discuss being in/outside the Church. to me it's important to keep in mind the distinction between the Church as the Body of Christ and the Church as the sum total of denominations and organisations. right now the two are nowhere near the same thing. we are the Church, in one sense, in so far as we are believers at all, so we don't 'leave' it by moving outside the usual structures. i'm not one of those who sees the structures we've inherited as being ordained by God to be the only correct containers for believers - i think they're more fallible and contingent than that, and can therefore be challenged or stepped outside if necessary.

but i mean this in a different way to how the house churches, or other seceding groups in history, saw it. they stepped outside the existing structures and then damned the people still in them as 'not real christians'. and in doing so, [among other faults] they perpetuated the identification of the Body of true believers with such-and-such an organisation - except it was their organisation now that embodied true belief not someone elses. but for alt worshippers any separation from the usual structures is a practical move to gain space to do something that seems necessary, not a claim to be the new true Church of Christ. OK we may rubbish the structures, but we're not thereby rubbishing people's faith - just suggesting that that faith could be better expressed through different [maybe not totally different] structures.

speaking for grace, we just do what we do and don't worry about our position wrt the denomination except on those occasions when there's a direct conflict. and when that happens we're more inclined to kick the powers-that-be to change their ways than secede from them. i suspect this might be an anglican position, because it assumes that 1. you can belong to the denomination from a wide range of theological positions and practices and 2. that the denomination ought to make space for you to be different or move about. some other denominations take a more restrictive view, and those who won't fit in have to leave. i don't think it's any accident that the majority of worship experiments are in the c of e.

which i think indicates something to its credit, that it at least tries to model the Body of Christ as an inclusive community of all kinds of believers. in that sense it is truly catholic!

chalky

Shipmate
# 143

- Posted      Profile for chalky   Email chalky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[rant]

quote:
but i mean this in a different way to how the house churches, or other seceding groups in history, saw it. they stepped outside the existing structures and then damned the people still in them as 'not real christians'. and in doing so, [among other faults] they perpetuated the identification of the Body of true believers with such-and-such an organisation - except it was their organisation now that embodied true belief not someone elses.

uh... this is fairly sweeping. And perhaps also inaccurate and judgemental! Not that there are no house churches like this - I know there are. But my experience has been entirely different; in fact apart from the odd alt worship thing (which still seems steeped in anglicanism, and as such is often difficult for me to relate to) the people that i know who do think outside the box about the nature and structure of church and do re-examine the whys and wherefores of the community of faith are invariably from a house church background. Whatever context you find yourself in, there are extremes; some house churches will be so many miles up their own arses they won't be able to see truth or worship in any other christian tradition, but that is also true of some anglicans. And house churches and anglican churches may find themselves being really open-minded and experimental and drawing on and accepting of a spectrum of traditions. I don't think any sweeping can be done!

quote:
1. you can belong to the denomination from a wide range of theological positions and practices and 2. that the denomination ought to make space for you to be different or move about.
Some house churches are exactly this.

[/end rant!!!]

rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

OK Chalky - I did not intend to mean that every church operated in the same way - only that to make a point one inevitably has to make some sort of generalisation. There will always be exceptions by the nature of things. And the church you belong to has, by your own admission, lost the more overtly charismatic members a number of years ago.

And perhaps there is a warning for us all in that any movement that starts off something new can easily become institutionalised in a very short space of time.

I'd like to expand on this a bit more - but no time at present (you will understand why if you check your email).

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

Interesting

Having just said a whole load of stuff about how Alt.Worship is a myth or is just about Worship I seem to recall that we were chucked out of our house church not because we did Alt.Worship type things in a our Cell group, but because this lead to some logical conclusions about what Leadership should really mean ..

Of course for me being Anglican is a radical act of Post-Modern defiance. i bacame an Anglican by accident and by choice, but soo discovered that in the tradition i was in many people were excited and supportive of experimental worship.

Neato.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

MacIain
Apprentice
# 1674

- Posted      Profile for MacIain   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankly, my dears, I don't givva damn.

Whatever "the Church" may be as it expresses itself today seems so far removed from whatever we can glean from Jesus' life and teaching via the gospels that it doesn't seem worth saving.

Question I often ask myself is: WHAT exactly are people trying to "save"? My (admittedly cynical) suspicion is that people want to save power structures, hierarchical systems, comfortable traditons. In other words, most - possibly all - of the things that Jesus seems to have found objectionable, and which conspired to kill him in the first place.

And yet, there is also much that is worthy ...

However, since today I still believe in resurrection, I have no fear whatever for the safety of the Church. My greater suspcion is that what passes for Church today actually needs to cark it, so that something decent and worthy can be raised in its place.

MacIain

quote:

"Sicut Patribus sit Deus nobis."
"Yes, but they didn't have electricity - or computers."
"Good point, dude."

--------------------
"Religion is hell, boys. Get used to it, or get a life."
The Rev Dr William Tecumseh Phereme, Founder and Perpetual Life President of the William Tecumseh Phereme University and Bible College, Inc.

Posts: 15 | From: Findochty | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Umbrella
Shipmate
# 232

- Posted      Profile for Umbrella   Email Umbrella   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am really not quite sure where this will fit (if it soes) into the overall pattern of this debate but here goes anyway ............

When I was stationed here in my first post as a minister one of the 'attributes' that the church were looking for in their minister was some who was community minded.

Now on one level that makes perfect sense I am in a rural setting and we all live almost in each other pockets (with fields between). But ... as time has progressed I have come to realise more and more that I am not seen as Caistor Methodist's Minister but as Caistor's Methodist Minister.

I know to many that is a subtlety in typo but in reality it offers me access and in roads into the lives of all of the folk in this area and not just the church goers or the schools.

I am welcomed into the homes and lives of people from all walks of life - believers and not, seekers and contented landers, all denominations or non ............

I feel really priveledged to be in that position because I can be me with God and the community I am here to serve and not just for the sacramental or liturgical bits of my work!

--------------------
'It is sad that most ministers have more hours training in how to talk & be with people than how to talk & be with God.' H.J.M.Nouwen.

Posts: 204 | From: Wales | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
MacIain assured us:
[QB]However, since today I still believe in resurrection, I have no fear whatever for the safety of the Church. My greater suspcion is that what passes for Church today actually needs to cark it, so that something decent and worthy can be raised in its place.

Welcome to Small Fire MacIain, if no-ones already said that.

What shape do you think this 'decent and worthy thing' might take?

dave

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

radagast
Shipmate
# 2197

- Posted      Profile for radagast   Author's homepage   Email radagast   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with you there.
this religion we're in, as far as i can tell, is about sacrifice and death, and resurrection and life. unless we can give up everything, we stand to gain nothing. and that's as true for our communities as it is for us individuals. I know a few churches who have taken the risk to reinvent themselves, but i know a lot more who have chosen to die in their old selves, rather than live a new life.
the decent and worthy path is different for each of us. let us pray only that we take it.
appropriate metaphors escape me.

radagast

Posts: 55 | From: sydney | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Da WonderSheep
Apprentice
# 2217

- Posted      Profile for Da WonderSheep     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Honorable Friends!

I notice I am coming to this thread late, and the rest of y'all are argued out, but the question is practically calling to myself to respond, and at legnth.

I humbly ask your forgiveness, first of all, because I come from a California United Methodist background, and I have little idea what the situation is in Anglican circles. I am also rather conservative in style for someone in their 20s (not conservative in politics however, just ask my girlfriend).

When I attended university four years ago, I immediatley joined the local church and choir. I was the youngest in the choir by about 20 years. Being in a uni town, and seeing a college-age woman, in a town notorious for partying and worldliness, actually coming looking for spirituality, my pastor tried several times in my tenure there to start a college-aged group. Usually it was myself and her, sitting in her office, wondering where those who promised they'd be there were at.

Because of my personal spiritual journey, I felt corporate worship, in a building with liturgy and an organ and all that were what I needed to aid in my growth. But I was always on the lookout for more. One of my specialties at Uni became Comparative Religions. Something I discovered in all my studies was that when another religious tradition had an aspect that appealed to myself (Buddhisim and meditation, Wicca and respect for nature, etc.), I could find a correlation in my own tradition (Centering prayer, St. Francis' writings, etc.).

I believe that the key to 'saving' the church (bringing people together to grow spiritually together) is fourfold:

1) Educational opportunities: Discover the history and richness of tradition.
2) Accessibility: Allow people to meet on neutral ground, off of church property, to learn, then invite them to other events, such as Sunday Morning/Afternoon/Evening.
3) Attention to population: Is the church surrounded by pubs? Have a late Saturday service. Is it surrounded by suburb where everyone commutes to the city? Don't plan events during business hours.
4) Advertisement: Spend a little cash on flyers, let the people know what you are doing, when you are doing it, and who's invited. Do you know what trouble I am having to find a church in my new area that will impose ashes for Ash Wednesday?

Okay, my Honorable Friends, I have posited a plan of action to bring together community. I await and welcome comments and tearing it to shreds.

--------------------
-------
Spiffy Da WonderSheep, a name that will forever live in insanity...

Posts: 19 | From: California, United States of America | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My feeling is that if the vicar was more of an enabler who taught people how to feed/learn/develop their spiritual lives themselves, rather than being a teacher/leader, this might be one factor which reduces the flow out of the church.

But what if it's human nature to need teachers and leaders? What if it's part of the nature of corporate worship, of being the body of Christ, to have parts which help regulate other parts? What if the modern tendency toward total equality is at least somewhat misguided, and the Church is one of the few places left where we can find the hierarchy -- for spiritual as well as other purposes -- we genuinely need?

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Fashioned Crab:My vicar lives in a nine bedroom house alone!

*jaw drops*

Good Lord, how many children do they have?

Maybe it's just the (Episcopal/Anglican Communion) churches I know here in the US, but that's astonishing to me, and if that is standard it does sound badly in need of reform! I'd be surprised if there are bishops in the US who live in houses that large!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
steve collins

Shipmate
# 224

well spiffy, your four points seem entirely sensible to me. i wonder why churches don't do all those things?
steve collins

Shipmate
# 224

quote:
Good Lord, how many children do they have?

it's the children they used to have in the 19th century when so many of our vicarages were built. and as for the bishops' palaces...

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

don't worry, Chast - the Cof E has been busy selling off its huge vicarages for years now as they are so expensive to maintain - some are left but most have been replaced by modern smaller houses. Even many suffragan bishops only live in 4-bed modern houses, which is reasonable for a couple or small family (bishops are getting younger) and a separate study / meeting room. Okay, some diocesan bishops still have 'palaces' they are historical buildings often in the cathedral close. I wonder how many are used for other things, eg museum space, cathedral school offices, etc. I don't think all the rooms are just wasted pomp - has anyone been inside to check? The Bish of Exeter often throws open his garden to school groups and sunday school / youth groups for activity days - it is useful to have space for such things.

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

Those vicarages left are often where it is simply impractical to build a new vicarage close enough to the church. Must admit I always thought a big house was one of the few perks of such a lowly paid job.

[fixed fever induced typo's]

[ 10 February 2002: Message edited by: sacredthree ]

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Gill
Shipmate
# 102

- Posted      Profile for Gill   Email Gill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
it seems to me that something must be wrong when we are down to 7-8 per cent of the population and many people who are leaving are people who would define themselves quite strongly as Christians.

But... aren't they 'church'? (Ooh I do agree, it grates on me too!!)
Doesn't that just mean we should be encouraged and see the Church as fluid and accommodating? Many people can't find a place in the traditional places... gays, for example, struggle (outside London!)and find God elsewhere... Why do we persist in seeing them as having 'left the Church' whereas if the Church is a community of believers, it must be as valid to see them as taking it with them? The gay men I know get far more support from their (mostly Christian, non-church-going) friends than they ever did from 'Church'. Sadly.

Darn, we never DID get a nice big house. ut then the vicars we know who do have, shut several rooms in the winter as they can't afford to heat them!

We were 'poor' when the children were little, before I went out to work. We had to take out an overdraft to have dental treatment once. But poverty is relative. We have had cold houses, but we've always had food.

--------------------
Still hanging in there...

Posts: 1828 | From: not drowning but waving... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
steve collins

Shipmate
# 224

quote:
But... aren't they 'church'?

i totally agree, gill. i think we'd get quite a shock if we could see the actual contours of the Church [as Body of Christ] compared to the contours of the Church [as institutions]. the big question is, what do the 'structures' [i use the work loosely] of mutual support and community among the faithful need to be for the 21st century?

quote:
We have had cold houses, but we've always had food.

even wealthy people lived like this before the 20th century. queen victoria's houses were notoriously, bitterly cold. visiting politicians had to walk the corridors to stay warm.

btw i helped design a replacement vicarage once, in my architectural youth [cromhall in gloucestershire].

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

aren't most of our modern illnesses supposed to be because most of our houses are too warm?? Is there any connection between this and the fact that a lot of the clergy obits. in the Church Times are of people in their 90s? Perhaps cold, draughty vicarages are a good idea after all??

--------------------

rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
[QUOTE]qb]

But what if it's human nature to need teachers and leaders? What if it's part of the nature of corporate worship, of being the body of Christ, to have parts which help regulate other parts? What if the modern tendency toward total equality is at least somewhat misguided, and the Church is one of the few places left where we can find the hierarchy -- for spiritual as well as other purposes -- we genuinely need?
[/QUOTE]

ChastMaster - perhaps you need some sort of hierarchy, but I think many do not. The fact that the clergy may have a regulating role does not IMO mean that they have to do everything! It can lead to disabling the gifts of the laity. Nor, in a large congregation of well over a hundred can they possibly know what is right for everyone. Some clergy are gifted teachers, many are not, far more are gifted as pastors, but don't have exclusive claim on this gift.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016