homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Today I consign to hell--II (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Today I consign to hell--II
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH

the penis-brained jerk who crashed into me while i was hobbling painfully down the steps to the tube ... I have hurt my back and this ugly tedious brainless nob-head was desperate to throw me to the ground in order to catch the tube ...

We both missed the tube - a consequence of the fact that I refused to fall down the stairs however hard he tried to push me.

He then proceeded to yell at me that he had missed the tube and berated me for having been in teh way. I apologised (more fool me but I know how he feels it is frustrating) and said I had a bad back which is why I was less than nimble and pointed out that there was another tube in 2 minutes time ...

He then continued to hurl insults at me, lunatic, idiotic, selfish were a few of the words that I heard ... by this time there was quite a large crowd.

My parting shot as he legged it to the next tube was for him to get over himself.

I also consign myself to hell for not ensuring that I sat next to him on the tube journey and for not making cheap remarks such as "i suppose a shag is out of the question now" - well i would have felt better about it.

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I consign to hell -

ME - for having forgotten my keys *&%$£"!!!

People who think they have a right to know where I am and for me to be contactable to them 24hours a day and who can't handle it if I'm away from my phones for a few days.

It's NONE of their *&^%$£"!!! business!

Now I have to calm down and explain to this person tomorrow, that No, I have not been kidnapped by aliens, and no, it is none of her business where I've been.

And I'm not very good at dealing with these things calmly.

All this because I went away for some peace and quiet...

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, dear, Louise. Sometimes peace and quiet are more trouble than they're worth. Surely you have learned this by now??

tomb

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
All this because I went away for some peace and quiet...

how about saying

"Thanks for your concern. I just fancied a few days away from things. It was absolutely lovely!" and then walk off in a dreamy fashion....

OR

"It is none of your business where I was, or who I was with, or what I was doing. No, no. I refuse to answer any questions on the grounds that it might incriminate me."

You would have to start that one with a slight smile, then increase the size of the smile until you were grinning from ear to ear.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praise be! Prayer has occasionally been known to work even on my short temper.

Managed to listen almost calmly to the recitation of the extremely non-urgent matter, said person had thought it worth leaving five increasingly hysterical messages on my phones for.

Due to wonderful display of 'pretending to care' I managed to avoid any awkward questions as to where I'd been, instead of being instantly at the beck and call of person with not-very-urgent-or-important query.

Not sure that 'Lord teach me to pretend to care!' is exactly a wonderful motto, but it's an improvement on screaming 'Tell it to someone who cares!!!' down the phone.

Eventually I'll work up to the 'actually caring' bit - but I'm not there yet!

Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH that 5 mins after I dragged myself out of bed in order to be dressed when the central heating engineers would turn up (10 mins later), they rang and cancelled. Now they won't be here till after we move all of Dyfrig's stuff in. Bah.

I also CTH that I've run out of logs and the coal merchant isn't answering the phone. No heat for me.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uruguay

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sakura
Shipmate
# 1449

- Posted      Profile for sakura     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cusanus:
Uruguay

I second that consigning.

--------------------
Keep me as the apple of Your eye.
Hide me under the shadow of Your wings.

Posts: 478 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess that means we lost, ay?
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sakura
Shipmate
# 1449

- Posted      Profile for sakura     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could say that - lost three nil.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I presume you mean a particular sports team from Uruguay rather than the whole country?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sakura
Shipmate
# 1449

quote:
I presume you mean a particular sports team from Uruguay rather than the whole country?

Right now the idea that the country even exists and plays sport is a raw throbbing wound, but in the fullness of time we will forgive everyone except the soccer team and their more agressive supporters.

[fixed the UBB code. I live to serve.]

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: tomb ]

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH the Jefferson County Clerk for summoning me to jury duty the !#@$%O *#$^* week before Christmas.

Just let those bozos DARE to empanel me....

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This being a shopping season, I am sure many of us have visited online sites which sell books, videos, and the like and invite customer reviews. Often, I'll admit I find these useful, but I do consign to hell those who "review" a book without referring to its contents or style (many of which begin with something like "Oprah chose this one"); who don't realise that a film review is intended to comment on its own merits, and that no one gives a damn whether "she's my favourite actress"; those which assume that C. S. Lewis is a heathen (or the equivalent); or, worst of all, those who write their review only to blast other reviewers who didn't agree with them. Somehow, the moment I see anything such as "it is for the whole family," I know it is a loser.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The flu...all 4 of us had it this weekend (imagine the smell (there should be a "smilie face" for this, but I can't decide which one)). Fortunately, we are all recovering now.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ticth the f***ing idiots who wander around busy supermarkets with their heads up their arses. stopping to have a daydream in the middle of a busy and crowded lane. walking backwards, walking very quickly then stopping. Bring brats who throw shit on the floor or who fall out of trolleys and then wail cos the floor is hard. parking their trolleys in the narrowest bit of the whole freaking place then staring at the sugar for 4 minutes (ITS SUGAR JUST TAKE ONE) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're all too correct about the grocery stores, Pyx_e, and reminded me that shopping for clothes is worse yet, especially in stores where sales ladies "help."

"I'm interested in a purple dress." - "They are wearing neutrals this season." (Well, they may do as they please.. I didn't tell you to tell me what I wanted.)

"That style is wonderful - see how it slims you!" (I came to shop, not to be insulted, bitch.)

Though I must admit that I smile, when I annually trek to the cosmetics counter at Selfridge's to have the makeup artiste "do" my face for New Year's Eve (and buy some new eye shadow) that I'm always told diplomatically that the concealer and foundation will keep me from looking "tired." (I am indeed tired... but it's nice of them not to say "old.")

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

sakura
Shipmate
# 1449

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
TICTH the Jefferson County Clerk for summoning me to jury duty the !#@$%O *#$^* week before Christmas.

Just let those bozos DARE to empanel me....

Fool proof ways to avoid being empanelled:
(a) stare menacingly at defendant and mouth 'you're a goner mate'
(b) blow kiss at defendant
(c) blow kiss at prosecution/plaintiff

Any of these will definately lead to the other party objecting to you.

Of course, you might get done for contempt, but you will get out of jury duty!

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sakura:
Fool proof ways to avoid being empanelled:
(a) stare menacingly at defendant and mouth 'you're a goner mate'
(b) blow kiss at defendant
(c) blow kiss at prosecution/plaintiff

Any of these will definately lead to the other party objecting to you.

Of course, you might get done for contempt, but you will get out of jury duty!

... or, be a tax auditor - defense attornies do not like anyone who has anything to do with any kind of law enforcement

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
does your state practice the death penalty? if it does, make a display about being opposed at all costs. if it doesn't, do the opposite. ham it up.
Posts: 1236 | From: usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH - Jagmohan Dalmiya and the rest of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, plus the Indian Selectors.

Five days before a Test Match is no time to have a power battle. If they end up with a riot at Mohali next Monday because England refuse to play it's no more than the BCCI deserve!

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
... or, be a tax auditor - defense attornies do not like anyone who has anything to do with any kind of law enforcement

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Actually, I've always found an almost foolproof method of avoiding jury duty is to wear a tie. Scares the defense attorneys, because they figure nobody in professional dress will be sympathetic to their client (a lawyer told me about that particular dodge).

As to the death penalty, Colorado does have the death penalty, but the summons was for county, not district court--which probably means civil and not criminal cases, so shall most likely not have to worry about that.

Unless, of course, the damn district attorney decides to empanel a Grand Jury to investigate the Grinch or somesuch.

And in spite of being completely opposed to the death penalty, I'll probably be so querulous that close to Christmas that I'll scream "Off With Their Heads" and they'll carry me out of the box feet first having a fit.

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in the not too distant past in immediate danger of being empaneled for a Grand Jury - meaning a service of one week each month for an entire year!

In panic and desperation, I rashly pulled aside the officiating person and whispered to him that I had just been released from a psychiatric hospital and was on lots of mind-altering drugs. He promptly dismissed me.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Clichés.

Today, following a week when lots of pain had been amplified, I was in such depression and tension that I felt tears coming while I was in my office, and I slipped outside, to an area where I thought no one was. I didn't realise that someone else was nearby, and saw the tears on my cheeks.

Her immediate response was, "There are people in the world who have it worse than you." (For the record, she had no knowledge of what was paining me.)

Yes - indeed there are! I'm not terminally ill, or being bombed in Afghanistan, or sleeping in the street. But does that mean my own pain is "invalid"?!

It reminds me of a man I knew , who, if he saw anybody in pain, would say, "You woke up this morning! Lots of people didn't!"

True! And they are the lucky ones!

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(((Newmann)))

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[oops, one n, sorry]

--------------------

Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Newman's Own, I hate to think of people being such jerks to you, or you being in pain period. I always read your posts eagerly, knowing that you will always be adding something thoughtful and kind. So I second Joan's hug.

--------------------
I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t an Aslan to lead it.
I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia.

Posts: 1213 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Thank you, Qestia and Joan! I'm so grateful for your affirmation that I'll not even use the board to pour out all the things that are tearing me apart!

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH a misbehaving body.

Angel does not understand.

Angel has been ill for 2 weeks, and went down a dress size and 2 ring sizes. She has visibly shrunk. Angel hasn't lost any weight. this does not compute. it is not muscle change.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I'm roasting Personnel people who advertise a job on a Friday, but don't send you the stuff until two days before the closing date, so you have only one evening to write an outstanding and well-considered application before you have to post it the next morning in the hope it will get there for the following day. Idiots.
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ticth the jerk whos been running a scam on the library for several years now involving identity theft and fraudulent library cards, leading to massive amounts of stolen material, and causing me to get a piteous phone call from a guy today who's the latest victem. grrrrrr.......

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

..whoever runs a mailing list that has been sending massive amounts of spam these past few weeks. (Various different addresses - but it seems all from the same source.) The mail says to reply to the message to unsubscribe, and anyone who does not only remains subscribed but ends up responding to everyone else who received the spam...

Ditto to whomever hacked into a religious site (owned by someone I know) and replaced the graphics with pornographic images.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

TICTH freezing rain and th quarter inch of ice on the sidewalks and streets

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

For heaven's sake, Shark, you live in Canada, and it's almost December.

Deal with it.

Perhaps you and the Coot could get together and trade complaints.

I can imagine it now:

"I'll see you a chillblain and raise you two prickly heats."

Of course, the two of you could establish a Subscription Service and both move to the tropics.

But then, I daresay, you'd be complaining about the Inexorable Fungus that was slowing absorbing your extremities.

There's no pleasing some people.

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH the nameless (Thomsons) phone directory people who mistakenly put my name in the phone book as belonging to a construction company. Obviously this results in dozens of irritating calls from people looking for builders, work or to sell me things I don't want.

I work shifts and there is genuinely nothing more annoying then having some punter phoning me up 10 minutes after I've finally fallen asleep after a long night shift.

TIalsoCTH the woman who works for the above nameless (Thomsons) telephone directory who told me today that it wasn't their responsibility to make sure the numbers were correct ('Did you not read the small print in the phone book?' 'No because until recently I didn't know my number WAS in the phone book.') and whose only advice is to get an answermachine (Exactly how will that stop me waking up) or change my number (I've only just remembered this one).

AAAAAAARRRGGGHHH - have just spent a night shift planning reprisals (he he he wicked laugh). Could I possibly piss them off as much as they have me. Suggestions on a postcard please.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tumbleweed
Shipmate
# 1340

- Posted      Profile for Tumbleweed   Email Tumbleweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH
Four-inch flying cochroaches
and
barely-scopic ants that come by the score

Posts: 199 | From: Land of Nod //USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparkle
Shipmate
# 895

- Posted      Profile for Sparkle   Email Sparkle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Islandexile:
TICTH
and

Oh my word - where do you live?! Remind me never EVER to go there!

TICTH People who think Im stupid for caring that George Harrison is dead. If you dont like him then fine, but I am really gutted!

--------------------
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." - Maya Angelou

Posts: 87 | From: At the mo - Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
TICTH the nameless (Thomsons) phone directory people who mistakenly put my name in the phone book as belonging to a construction company. Obviously this results in dozens of irritating calls from people looking for builders, work or to sell me things I don't want.

<snip>

AAAAAAARRRGGGHHH - have just spent a night shift planning reprisals (he he he wicked laugh). Could I possibly piss them off as much as they have me. Suggestions on a postcard please.

quote from Islandexile
------------------------------------------
TICTH
and
-------------------------------------------

Maybe Islandexile could send you some of his cockroaches and ants to pass along to the directory people.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re people who say you could be worse off - my parents were great for that, I suffered from depression for most of my childhood & adolescence, whenever I was asked why I looked so miserable and said I felt sad, I would get a big lecture on how other people were worse off, I had nothing to be depressed 'about' and then a long list of people who were cheerful under terrible circumstances.

On one memorable occasion I was told 'at least you've got legs'!!

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH

the A$$holes who are having a party right outside my bedroom window, right now.

myself - for feeling so crappy, I forgot to go and buy fruit.

and this virus, because it won't go away.

Angel

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH my bowels. Grrrr Just when I get on holidays my IBS decides, "hey, she's taking a break - let's make her take frequent breaks in her favourite place - the lavatory!!!"
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Not sparked off by anything today, but something that's been bugging me for ages:

TICTH the fact that, almost invariably, the person who I love (platonically), admire and wish approbation from is the one in front of whom I manage to look like a complete idiotic attention-seeking shallow juvenile pain in the neck. How the hell could he ever like me and do anything more than put up with me out of Christian charity?

Oh hell.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ticth , members of my church who think the 5 pointed star they have bought for the Christmas tree is "lovely" and "better than that tatty old thing" ( that tatty old thing being very tatty but at keast having 6 points). I can not help shudder and laugh my ass off at churches I go into with a Pentagram at the summit of their tree. But then the whole tree thing is pagan anyway SO SHOT ME NOW ............. mutter mutter ....... bastards.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tim V
Shipmate
# 830

- Posted      Profile for Tim V   Author's homepage   Email Tim V   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH the ways blokes' brains are wired which involves becoming some sort of dribbling grunting idiot whenever the girl in front of whom they really don't want to appear stupid turns up. I would like categorically to state that I am actually pretty funny and bright, most of the time but for some reason all this girl has to do is appear in my field of view and I just can't string a sentence together. Plus, the effect seems to obey some sort of inverse-square law so the closer she gets the more tongue tied I get. Why? Does this get better as you get older? I am 20, for goodness sake...

--------------------
Scots steel tempered wi' Irish fire.
Is the weapon that I desire.

Posts: 212 | From: The crow's nest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

It's a hellish few days...

TICTH myself yesterday, for forgetting to take my medication with me when going out all day. Thus when I nose-dived unexpectedly there was nothing I could do about it, so I spent the run-through before the advent procession feeling dreadful and trying not to snap at people, and the first bit of the service in tears and trying to hide it. I wanted desparately to cry during Benediction, but as an acolyte in front of that many people I was NOT going to.

Grrr grrr humph. Note to self, always carry spare meds.

--------------------

Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arietty:
Re people who say you could be worse off - my parents were great for that, I suffered from depression for most of my childhood & adolescence, whenever I was asked why I looked so miserable and said I felt sad, I would get a big lecture on how other people were worse off, I had nothing to be depressed 'about' and then a long list of people who were cheerful under terrible circumstances.

On one memorable occasion I was told 'at least you've got legs'!!

My mother used to tell me (this AFTER my first suicide attempt) "You could be happy if you wanted to be." Maybe that's true for the much of the population, but what I really needed, and never got for any effective period, was professional HELP!

But I'm better now regardless, so I guess I must have chosen happiness at some point?

TICTH my group project. Of course the big research paper for my first graduate-level course is a group project--otherwise the professor would have to read all those extra papers! So instead of our paper, due Wednesday, being done by now, it is still being squabbled about.

I and one other person had made an effort to WRITE something for the paper before the whole group met Saturday for what was supposed to be a run-through of the whole thing to put it into a final draft. I had been e-mailing the first draft (which barely included half what the final draft will) to all the group members for 3 weeks BEGGING them to add to it so we wouldn't have to write the paper from scratch on Saturday. Well they couldn't be bothered to, so Saturday we met for hours. After arguing for hours over what one section of the paper should contain, I asked that we just leave what we had written for now and continue on to make a draft of the next two sections. At which point one of the non-contributers says to me, "But we HAVE to finish this now, it's due Wednesday!" Well, no kidding! That's why I'd been begging her to write something before then. We ended up never getting farther than that section so I had to write the results and discussion on my own as well as the abstract and making 4 charts and now I am e-mailing the file around begging them to look it over before Wednesday. And the chance of them doing so is nil.

--------------------
I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t an Aslan to lead it.
I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia.

Posts: 1213 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TICTH people who think that speeding is a right, not a criminal offence.

Especially given that the spineless government has capitulated and said that all speed cameras have to be painted bright yellow so we can see them.

Bollocks. The only thing that'll deter people is the thought that there might be a camera in the bushes. Why do we treat speeding like it's a game, where people have the right to know if they can get caught or not? It's not. It's a criminal offence and offenders have to accept that if they get caught that's their tough shit.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

TODAY I CONSIGN TO HELL the mindless piece of cat vomit who called in a Bomb Threat to my son's school.

The younger children ended up cowering in the basement of a nearby building while the older students stood in the cold at the edge of the parking lot ("out of the way of flying debris if anything happens" according to the SWAT commander).

This is Jefferson County, for God's sake, home of Columbine High School. When a co-worker ran up to me and told me that "something bad is happening at your son's school" I thought I was going to be sick I was so frightened.

It was a hoax, of course. Good thing I'm not liable to get my hands on the little bastard, though, before the Law catches him. I'd rip off his testicles and stuff them in his ears (I imagine they'd be just about the right size to fit.)

And this on the day after the State Department issues another warning about "unspecified terrorist threats."

There isn't enough Gin in the world to calm me down right now.

tomb

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

((((tomb))))

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ticth the bacteria living in my inner ears causing the ear infection i'm currently suffering from.

but i'll show them... 10 days worth of erthyromycin should have them cowering in fear. and i can pretend that the ringing in my right ear is their dying screams...

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016