homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » MW: Evangelicalism/ Protestantism for beginners (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW: Evangelicalism/ Protestantism for beginners
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
I cannot emphasise enough that an Anglican church is part of an episcopal and sacramental Church which has sacramentally ordained priests to administer those sacraments to the faithful. That is his job and if your congregation does not have its priest then they cannot function properly as a full part of the Anglican church.

I think this is down to what a demonination recognises are a valid 'church' rather than a church as a body of believers.

I am sure that there are many churches (body) who would survive and would grow stronger if the leadership suddenly disappeared. Whether they would still form a properly constitued church in the eyes of their denomination, that is a different matter.

In the CofS, if all the people in leadership within a local church died, then an interim moderator would be appointed by 'head office'. The moderator would then get the church to nominate new elders. When the new elders were in position and they would put out a call for a new minister. Within the CofS the standard is that there will be a minister, kirk session (parish council?) and elders. If that were to break down then new people would be found to fill these roles.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the reasons I left the URC recently was because of the model of leadership. Over recent years the church had gotten stuck. The minister was caught between a system of elders and church meeting who on the one hand wanted strong leadership, and on the other wanted someone to be fully accountable. Hurt and pain from the past affected everything, and there seemed to be no way out. personality politics meant that roles got very blurred, veering sharply between leadership by the elders, and placing all the responsibility on one man.

Cosmo - we could really use an "Anglican" thread in Purgatory for that sort of thing. Like at what point an EP or AC church should cease to be anglican.

Angel

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Babybear - I sort of agree. But I think we as a church could continue being a recognised Anglican church, without our leaders. The reason is that communion is not fundamental to what being an Anglican church is about.

We would have problems, especially as our vicar is the area dean, but we would find others to fulfill the consecration duties required. We would therefore continue to operate as a fully acceptable Anglican church. As Ed pointed out, this is precisely what we do in interregnums ( Interregna? ). We don't stop being a church just because one member of the church decides to change jobs!

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question for you Communion is central types:
What do you make of the Salvation Army - which does not practice communion or baptism - Do you recognise them as a church?

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Angel's right: this thread's going off topic, and the question of when an Anglican church is not an Anglican church should be pursued in a new thread.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astro:
Question for you Communion is central types:
What do you make of the Salvation Army - which does not practice communion or baptism - Do you recognise them as a church?

not as a church. part of the church though, in the wider body of believers.

Angel, fudging...

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel of the North:
not as a church. part of the church though, in the wider body of believers.

Angel, fudging...

OK so what would make them a church?
What I am interested in is what are the essentials that make a group of christians a church?

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
I would be interested in your biblical basis for rejecting shared leadership, coot, as I am equally convinced that shared leadership is a biblical mandate. This does not mean that things are not "edifying and orderly", or that those doing the leadership are not "anointed".
Without too much processing (as I am seeing things blacker and whiter than normal - why I make a bad post-modernist) - Christ gave us the Church. The epistles show us the Church in action with overseers, presbyters, deacons, and elders. So there are my bishops, priests, deacons and vestry and I'm happy. And if 'shared leadership' sifts out into these categories I don't find any contradiction - but if not, it is a secular affectation. (My God I'm feeling positively puritan tonight. Well almost. Because if I really was I wouldn't have blasphemed. There you go. Pray for your poor fallen sister).

Just ignore that bracketed bit.

There were aspects of collegiate leadership (different to the 'shared leadership' concept of your church, I think?) in the way the apostles operated, but instances of the one convicting the many, and appeals to personal authority esp. Paul (or circumcision would still be mandatory I guess).

Not rigorous or particularly coherent, but might shed more light on how I approach the issue. I hope.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's any help to this poor little thread - I refer to my above post and suggest a trait of some evangelicals is consideration of the early church as a model for how our church today should be run.
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

Another point - at one time I could not understand how anyone could use the same words week after week - how boring - and what about not speaking empty repetative phrases.

However that was during my chariamatic phase and what about singing the same song over 52 times so that we really understand the words (as if "Jesus I love" was difficult to understand).

So I now accept that although I prefer non-liturgical worship I can really enjoy worshipping God using liturgy. In fact now at Anglican Communion I get annoyed if bits are changed

--------------------

Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
The epistles show us the Church in action with overseers, presbyters, deacons, and elders.

The question is, what do those terms mean? How far do you go to institutionalising them?

quote:
And if 'shared leadership' sifts out into these categories I don't find any contradiction

Depends on what the various categories actually are interpreted to mean. We have deacons in a Baptist church, but they're very different to the Anglican position of the same name, for example.

quote:
- but if not, it is a secular affectation.

No it isn't. it's different interpretation of what is - let's face it - a very vague part of scripture.

quote:
If it's any help to this poor little thread - I refer to my above post and suggest a trait of some evangelicals is consideration of the early church as a model for how our church today should be run.

Unfortunately, it's often those people who tend to abuse authority (see above) who claim 'continuity' with the NT church.

All this talk about apostles is relevant, though: there's a great deal of disagreement among E/Ps as to whether there's anyone around today who could call themselves an 'apostle'.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

quote:
Originally posted by Astro:
OK so what would make them a church?
What I am interested in is what are the essentials that make a group of christians a church?

this belongs on a different thread...

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something which I find strange about E/P worship is the entire lack of emphasis on the liturgical year. Which leads to things like saying the Gloria in Advent and Lent - because 'I don't see why we shouldn't praise God in Lent', which misses the point, by not using those words of praise during the penitential season they have fresh impact on Christmas morn or Easter Day; we don't have to fit everything into one service but things build up through the seasons and over the years.

Or it leads to the bizarre situation of having Luke 24:1-12 as the only reading in a Carol service - for those of you without a handy Bible (or a good memory) that's Luke's account of the Ressurection, I just sat there laughing silently and thinking 'Pam?' and 'Why?' (seeing as I had to listen to it twice, first in Welsh and then in English). I still haven't worked out why we had that - the preacher didn't mention it at all, though he did talk about God as Emmanuel and so had slightly more Christmas reference than the bloke last year.

Or the first occasion on which I really noticed this lack of liturgical year, my friend's baptism, on the 2nd Jan 2000. Here we are 8 days after Christmas, I'd been in an Anglican Church that morning singing Christmas carols, a service with 'non-christians' in and there is absolutely no reference to the season at all. Just an hour long sermon which was pretty standard evangelical 'gospel' for the uninitiated, 4 hymns (admittedly chosen by the candidates), and the testimonies before the baptism.

Or Maundy Thursday sermons with no reference to Maundy Thursday, or very interesting reflections on symbols and culture during a 3 hour service on Good Friday but ones which didn't really relate to the crucifixion, or Good Friday hymns on Easter Morn.

So why is that E/P's ignore the liturgical year or don't emphasis the great festivals?

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Carys
So why is that E/P's ignore the liturgical year or don't emphasis the great festivals?

As I've already stated on this thread that is not the case in the Presbyterian church I am part of but I have been to churches where this is the case. Those churches I expect would not see the 'great festivals' as being massively important in the wider picture other than to bring people into the church to be converted.

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

Besides, it depends on the church.

Christmas, Pentecost, Easter and Lent tend to get appropriate readings in our church (and, I would hazard, in both Methodist and Presbyterian churches).

On the other hand, many of the other parts of the year will only be referenced if it suits where the church is going. Again, it reflects the Protestant's wholistic view of the year, I guess, that for good or ill no one part is necessarily more holy than another unless we choose to make it so.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:

Carys

A personal view - not intended to represent the view of any particular E/P group...

Although some E/Ps may not follow the liturgical year, I would suspect that the large majority would recognise the major festivals.

As far as the "seasons" are concerned, one reason for not following them might be the degree of artificiality to some of them. Advent looks forward to the return of Christ, but it could be argued that this could just as sensibly be concentrated on after Ascension as before Christmas. Lent is often connected with the forty days that Jesus spent in the wilderness, but this happened after his baptism (which in the liturgical year is generally celebrated in early January, although the bible doesn't specify the date), so why isn't lent in January/February? (The answer, in case your wondereing is that lent is a development of the period of fasting and prayer that preceded baptism in the early church. Baptisms usually occured at Easter so lent became a pre-Easter season, even for those who were not preparing for Baptism).

Personally I think there is a richness gained from following the liturgical year, it would be something I would be sorry not to have (if only people would stop celebrating Christmas during Advent - but that's another thread).

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would expect most churches (even the most extreme conservative evangelical) to recognise the major Christian festivals; Christmas, Easter and Pentecost. And would almost certainly arrange their services to suit. I accept that many EP churches wouldn't commemorate Advent and Lent particularly (except for, perhaps, lighting candles on an Advent wreath).

Of course, many evangelical churches (especially those within major denominations like Methodists, URC, Anglican) would follow a lectionary such as the RCL, without feeling the need to use those readings if other passages are deemed more appropriate for a given service (eg: a baptism).

Alan

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am glad to know that the Anglican Communion is broad enough to include a parish like Steve's.

Naturally, I feel a pang for the neglect of the rubrics.

But what I want to know is, does a parish like this transgress against Canon Law? Any church lawyers out there who can tell me (or are all our church lawyers A/C)?

HT

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coot - thank you for your response. I think I would justify my argument by the fact that Paul, when he was leaving at least one church, appointed "Elders" ( I know as a Kerygmania host I should be able to quote chapter and verse, but I can't ). The implication is firstly multiple equivalent people, and secondly, no 3-part division. That is not to deny the value of the three orders, but simply that the NT approach to leadership is pludarity of equals. IMHO.

HT - no we don't break canon law. Our vicar is the area dean, and so has the responsibility for ensuring that we don't. We also have the support of the bishop in what we do. We stretch the law, without a doubt, but we don't break it.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Apostolic Succession" - the E/P doctrine I grew up in was that apostolic succession was manifested in all christian churches who were believing and obeying the faith as written in the Scriptures and made alive in the believer's heart by the Holy Spirit. It had nothing necessarily to do with being passed down through official leadership of any denomination. So it's somewhat different from the Roman or Anglican teaching. I don't really know what evangelical parts of these denominations think about it.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an evangelical Episcopal church in my area which I would like to visit sometime even though I'm quite happy in my A-C parish. I must say I'm a bit nervous about several things, most notably that I'll be asked why my husband isn't with me. He's not a Christian, and I'm afraid that if I answer truthfully, I'll be given lots of unsolicited advice about how to "make him have a change of heart," a topic which I always find extraordinarily painful. Anyone got any bright ideas about how I might respond without regressing into A-C snootiness?

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
from my experience, there are many people in evangelical churches whose spouses are not christians.

not being married, i can't say i've experienced being given advice on how to make my spouse a christian, but then also from my experience, the only "advice" you'll be given for anyone u care about who isn't a christian is "keep praying for them" (intended more as an encouragement).

i think most of us E/Ps recognise that only God can change someone's heart. it has very very very little to do with us.

if u DO get advice, probably the best thing to say is "thanks. i'll keep praying"

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Weslian
Shipmate
# 1900

- Posted      Profile for Weslian   Email Weslian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
But what I want to know is, does a parish like this transgress against Canon Law? Any church lawyers out there who can tell me (or are all our church lawyers A/C)?

HT

Surely we are saved by grace rather than law. The strength of Anglicanism is its ability to encapsulate a wide range of styles. Whether one follows the lectionary or not, whether one sings the Gloria in Advent or Lent, must be a matter of taste and practice rather than law, or else we are in real danger of forcing people into our moulds for our satisfaction, rather than letting them worship God in the ways that are right for them.

--------------------
Sex, Shopping, Work, Christian Doctrine, Entertainment, Art, Sport.

Posts: 563 | From: somewhere too posh for my own good | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Personally I think there is a richness gained from following the liturgical year, it would be something I would be sorry not to have (if only people would stop celebrating Christmas during Advent - but that's another thread).

That's where I am. The biggest problem I have is with evangelicals within a liturgical tradition who only pay lipservice to the liturgical year because there are those in the church who expect it (though they mightn't be proper christians, maybe that's unfair but it's the feeling I got at times) not because they see an inherent value in it. Thus if you make some comment about sticking to it, you get told not to get hung up on such things.

(I'm with you too on not celebrating Christmas in Advent)

quote:
I would expect most churches (even the most extreme conservative evangelical) to recognise the major Christian festivals; Christmas, Easter and Pentecost.

And in my experience they do, on the day at least, but not for much longer and that's what I find strange. I remember one Eastertide, the Anglican church which I attended at Uni, stopped singing Easter hymns on Low Sunday. It was wonderful a couple of weeks later, at the joint evening service with the local Methodists to be singing Easter hymns again.

quote:
On the other hand, many of the other parts of the year will only be referenced if it suits where the church is going. Again, it reflects the Protestant's wholistic view of the year, I guess, that for good or ill no one part is necessarily more holy than another unless we choose to make it so.

That makes sense (within the protestant understanding of the world), though I mightn't agree. For a start I don't think that the liturgical year means that one part of the year is more holy than another; it's just that we cannot concentrate on the whole of what we believe at any one time and so by going through the festivals and fasts and 'ordinary' time we focus on different elements in turn, and over time our faith is nourished - at least that's my experience of growing up with the liturgical year.

Carys

--------------------

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
I am glad to know that the Anglican Communion is broad enough to include a parish like Steve's.

Naturally, I feel a pang for the neglect of the rubrics.

HT

Of course, it doesn't matter whether or not the church lawyers are A/C or not; Canon Law is applicable to everybody, A/C or Evangelical.

I don't know which parish it is that Steve belongs to. As long as his parish has Holy Communion every Sunday and principal feast day (except by agreement of the the Vicar and the PCC and the authorization of the Bishop and that Holy Communion is readily available at another church in the benefice) and that the Celebrant wears either a surplice or alb with scarf or stole then they will not be breaking canon law. There are, of course, other bits of relevant canon law to a parish church but these are the two most important clauses.

Cosmo

Weslian
Shipmate
# 1900

- Posted      Profile for Weslian   Email Weslian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why on earth does it matter what the person presiding at eucharist wears? Why should that be included under a law for goodness sake?

--------------------

Posts: 563 | From: somewhere too posh for my own good | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back to the idea of E/P for beginners...

I've been invited to a bible study series at college, which has been described to me (from various sources) as a conservative evangelical look at the bible. The people involved are lecturers and a few postgrads, no undergrads. The suggested preliminary reading is something by John Stott. My question is: what is likely to go on in such a bible study? What sort of things will be talked about? What does "doing" a book of the bible (Acts, in this case) mean in this sort of a context?

Please help...

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

It simply means studying a book of the Bible (normally about a chapter a week) in a fairless dry manner, with close reference to the interpretation of the passage. There will most likely be a bit of (extempore of course) prayer, too at the start and the end.

How much the exegesis of the study can be applied to the lives of those in the group depends very much on the quality of the material and the group leader. John Stott's on the sensible end of conservative although of course not to be agreed with 100%).

I doubt you'll have any surprises.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Hooker's Trick

# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As long as his parish has Holy Communion every Sunday and principal feast day

and that the Celebrant wears either a surplice or alb with scarf or stole then they will not be breaking canon law.

I know that the Eucharist is celebrated at HTB and All Souls Langham Place every Sunday.

Somehow I'd be surprised to see a scarf (other than the Burberry variety) in either place.

What do they wear?

HT

Weslian -- perhaps Our Lord likes his priests to be so attired for his Supper?

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood - cheers. I think my main question is: is it going to be someone who thinks they have the answer (or thinks they've read the right answer) telling us what it is, or does discussion and thinking for oneself enter into it at all? And will scripture get compared only with other bits of scripture, or will it be tied in with the rest of Christianity?

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Joan the Dwarf:
Wood - cheers. I think my main question is: is it going to be someone who thinks they have the answer (or thinks they've read the right answer) telling us what it is, or does discussion and thinking for oneself enter into it at all? And will scripture get compared only with other bits of scripture, or will it be tied in with the rest of Christianity?

Again... it all depends on your material and the person leading.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Depending on the group, you might well have ten people who know they have the right answer, or ten people genuinely trying to find the right answer.

If they have stated that the group is conservative evangelical, they will probaby be fairly sure that there is a right answer (because scripture is correct if correctly interpreted).

If the group is made up mainly of lecturers, they are going to be pretty used to giving the answers. I would have thought that there would be plenty of input from the group (not just a leader) as I can't imagine that many academics listening to one person without wanting to disagree.

The book is likely to be studied strictly in comparison with the rest of the bible, the wider experience of Christianity probably won't be high up the agenda.

Have fun (but not too much fun - we're Christians)

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
As long as his parish has Holy Communion every Sunday and principal feast day and that the Celebrant wears either a surplice or alb with scarf or stole then they will not be breaking canon law.

Yep. With a few exceptions, you can take communion a number of times each Sunday, and at least some of those the clergy are formally attired.

None of which really impinges on what we do with hte rest of our time, which suggests to me that canon law, in this respect is becoming totally irrelevant. The majority of the conregation are, apparently, untouched by the requirements of the church.

HTB and All Souls, I suspect, have either an early service of more formal variety, or have agreed with the relevant authorities to do things differently.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Weslian
Shipmate
# 1900

I have recently been on a Myers Briggs Personality Type weekend, where we looked at the role personality played in churchmanship. It was suggested that certain personality types will like the routine of a regular liturgy, whereas others want something different each week. For some the visual side of worship will be important, others will be quite happy worshipping in a plain room.

I found this quite convincing. The main point was that no one way was right or wrong.

On a thread like this I think we need to recognise we are sharing personal subjective tastes based on our personalities and backgrounds, and have no right to lay the law down about how others should worship.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think my main question is: is it going to be someone who thinks they have the answer (or thinks they've read the right answer) telling us what it is, or does discussion and thinking for oneself enter into it at all?
Before I started leading Bible Study groups for CU we had a very useful training session. The first thing we were told was that as leaders it was our job to facilitate discussion and not give answers. We were also given advice on how to handle others in the group who think they have all the answers (ie: shut 'em up to give others a chance) or those who don't contribute (everyones' contribution is valuable, even a "I don't understand").

quote:
And will scripture get compared only with other bits of scripture, or will it be tied in with the rest of Christianity?
I would hope so. Good standard evangelical maxim, the best interpreter of Scripture is Scripture (ie: each passage is interpreted in the light of the whole of Scripture). Clearly 2 millenia of thought would help in understanding a passage. And if, at the end of the day, what you study doesn't affect your everyday life (including, of course, your Christian faith) then what has been the point?

Alan

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think my main question is: is it going to be someone who thinks they have the answer (or thinks they've read the right answer) telling us what it is, or does discussion and thinking for oneself enter into it at all? And will scripture get compared only with other bits of scripture, or will it be tied in with the rest of Christianity?

Everybody who has said that it very much depends on the group, is of course right.

One thing you may meet, is that there will be a couple of people in the group who will seem to think they know everything and will tend to dominate the discussion. Our CU used to be like this a while back. I stopped going, cos I didn't find it helpful to bbe told "the right answer" all the time.

After a while I went back, and instead of keeping quiet, I asked all the really, really difficult questions that every passage draws out. This (a) prevented anyone from thinking they knew everything, (b) pleased the quieter members of the group, who will often say "That's just what I was wondering and (c) made the discussions much livelier. I think there are people in the group who look down on me - despite my GLEness - because I have more questions than answers, but I think overall the group is better for being pushed beyond its "comfort zone" and I am learning a lot. Having a more questioning attitude also makes the group more accessible to outsiders.

I think what I am saying is that if you find this group a bit closed in its attitdues initially, then still make your points and ask the difficult questions. It will enliven the discussions - even if noone agrees with you - and will also be helpful to other people.

All the best,

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

quote:
Before I started leading Bible Study groups for CU we had a very useful training session. The first thing we were told was that as leaders it was our job to facilitate discussion and not give answers. We were also given advice on how to handle others in the group who think they have all the answers (ie: shut 'em up to give others a chance) or those who don't contribute (everyones' contribution is valuable, even a "I don't understand").

Unfortunately in some CUs these have turned into giving out "answer sheets" for the little bible study groups.

How does the model of leadership differ between different "heights" of churches - something that's come up on "conversations" thread.

Angel

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
I stopped going, cos I didn't find it helpful to be told "the right answer" all the time.

I know the feeling, and also stopped going to CU 'discussion' groups for that reason. However, I never managed to go back and ask the difficult questions. Partly because as I wasn't an evangelical my assumptions were different to the rest of the group and so were my questions. I found that even at the Church home group which didn't have right answers as such, just evangelical assumptions, which I just didn't (couldn't) accept. That's why it's great to have found a good Bible study group here in Cambridge where I can ask the questions I have and we can wrestle with them (and have fun too!)

Carys

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carys, one of the great things about not sticking rigidly to a liturgical year is that we can sing carols at any time of year, if we think they are appropriate, have carol services for the church community before Christmas if our congregation goes 'home' for Christmas, sing 'Thine be the Glory" not just on Easter day, The only fixed (sort of) days for many E/Ps would be Easter and Pentecost and the Lord's Day (Sunday).
In the House Church I belonged to, there was no Christmas for a few years till the congregation more or less rebelled. It was regarded as 'made up by man' and not something God wanted celebrated; we celebrated the birth of Christ every day. Also, we had one service on Sundays, with a proper meal afterwards (picnic in the park in summer) which everyone in the congregation (and some of the local homeless) shared. Reason? God did not say we had to go to church and hold services more than once on Sundays.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
have carol services for the church community before Christmas if our congregation goes 'home' for Christmas,

Grrrrrrrrr. Sorry pet hate, Christmas starts on Christmas day and continues afterwards. If you start singing Christmas Carols pre Christmas you miss out on the wonderful Advent ones. Have Carol services after Christmas because Christmas doesn't stop on Boxing Day. (And I had to sing Christmas Carols on 25th November as that was the last Sunday of Full Term and so we had to have some Christmas stuff)

quote:
sing 'Thine be the Glory" not just on Easter day,

You don't just sing it on Easter Day within the liturgical calender either as you continue to sing Easter hymns throught the season of Easter (which lasts for 40 days until Ascension Day)

quote:
It was regarded as 'made up by man' and not something God wanted celebrated;

This is the sort of attitude that promoted the question in the first place. Yes, I know that it is highly unlikely that Jesus was actually born on 25th December but that doesn't mean we can't celebrate then. It's like the Queen, he has an Official Birthday! Celebration is good! Why wouldn't God want us to celebrate?

Carys

--------------------

Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Grrrrrrrrr. Sorry pet hate, Christmas starts on Christmas day and continues afterwards. If you start singing Christmas Carols pre Christmas you miss out on the wonderful Advent ones. Have Carol services after Christmas because Christmas doesn't stop on Boxing Day.

The fact is though that for all normal people (non-churchgoers) Christmas isn't after Christmas day - it's now. If we think the idea of engaging with the people outside our twelve walls is the least bit important we should be prepared to put aside our ways of doing things and run pre-Christmas day Carol services whilst it is 'Christmas' in people's minds.

We shouldn't engage with them too much though - see the 'Should I marry a non-chistian?'* thread.

dave

*Title made up for illustrative purposes only. Any similarity to any thread, existing or archived, is purely co-incidental.

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

Hooker's Trick

# 89

quote:
Originally posted by Wibblethorpe:
we should be prepared to put aside our ways of doing things and run pre-Christmas day Carol services whilst it is 'Christmas' in people's minds.

Of course, it's always best to allow High Street shopping to dictate our theology.

That shoudl pack 'em in.

Maybe we could put up a stall or two in department stores and sell indulgences while we're in the mood to be commercial.

HT

HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, now HT--selling indulgences is one of the reasons that Protestants exist!
Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Winningham:
Now, now HT--selling indulgences is one of the reasons that Protestants exist!

The PCW is doing a huge range of Advent indulgences this year. Last year we only concentrated on the 'biggies', murder, blashpemy, adultary. But this year we have branched out into gin drinking, excessive internet surfing, and other such leseser activities.

I am HT will appreciate our range of indulgences, and how prettily gift wrapped they are. If you order before Christmas they will come in Advent wrapping papper (recycled un-bleached paper). If you order after Christmas, you will get lovely Christmassy paper, and a free chorister.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hooker's Trick advised us:
Of course, it's always best to allow High Street shopping to dictate our theology.

Theology? I would be interested to hear the theological reasons for refusing to have carol services before the 25th of December.

dave

--------------------

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

quote:
Originally posted by Wibblethorpe:
Theology? I would be interested to hear the theological reasons for refusing to have carol services before the 25th of December.

dave

saying "jesus is born today" when he hasn't.

I think a hell thread is in order....

Angel

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
saying "jesus is born today" when he hasn't.

But it is extremely unlikely that he was born on 25th December

I thought current thinking favoured June or July

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:

That the period before Christmas is Advent not Christmas and therefore the appropriate music is Advent carols and hymns not Christmas ones.

Actually I accept Carol Services on the evening of the 4th Sunday of Advent (and even when Advent 4 coincides with Christmas Eve the evening of Advent 3), because that's when people expect them, though I wouldn't sing the final verse of O Come all ye Faithful ('Born this happy morn') because that means singing it during Midnight is extra special. I do know a vicar though who won't have Carols before Christmas Eve (and he's evangelical!)

Carys

--------------------

Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

quote:
Carys informed us:
That the period before Christmas is Advent not Christmas and therefore the appropriate music is Advent carols and hymns not Christmas ones.

Well - if that's the best theological reason...

But no, you're right, let's just stick to the way we've always done things.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:

It is of course not a theological reason, but a historical and church order reason. And as with most of these, there is no theological justification behind them as such.

Which is why Wibbs is right, in that we don't base our theology on High Street shoppers. We do exist to serve a community.

Angel - I would agree that there are some carols/verses that should be sung on Christmas day only. Except, of course, that he wasn't born then either.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016