homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Is a belief in the virgin birth necessary to calling oneself a Christian? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Is a belief in the virgin birth necessary to calling oneself a Christian?
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over the years that I have aspired to being a follower of Jesus, I have had to compartmentalise certain parts of accepted Christian doctrine because I either don't understand them fully or I find them difficult to accept. The ideas are in a box marked "awaits further light." One such area I have difficulty with is the virgin birth and the nativity stories in general.

It isn't that I doubt it could happen, with God all things are possible, it's just that the nativity stories seem clumsily tacked on to the gospels of Matthew and Luke in an attempt to make Jesus fit OT prophecy. Though I can't prove this and Mousethief disagreed on another thread, I can see no hint of a knowledge of this story from Paul, Peter, James, the writer of Hebrews or Mark. It's certain that it was in circulation well before the end of the first century, probably before John who IMHO hints at a spiritual meaning in John1.11-12.

The stories and genealogies in Matthew and Luke are irreconcileable and the genealogies are meaningless as they connect Jesus to other Biblical figures through Joseph. I don't want to reopen the debate about whether the reference to virgin in Isaiah 7 means virgin or maiden, suffice it to say that it is a matter of opinion among scholars. There was no tradition in Judaism that the messiah would be born of a virgin.

A messianic Jewish group, the Ebionites who broke from the mainstrem of Christianity at the time of the destruction of the Temple and were later declared heretics by Gentile Christianity, believed in Jesus as messiah, but regarded Him as a normal son of His parents. This could mean that the virgin story was either unknown or in dispute in 70 AD.

This isn't a subject I am ever going to resolve to my satisfaction, but does it matter in trying to live as Jesus requires of us? To me, repentance and faith in His atoning sacrifice are much more important. Although these beliefs are enshrined in our creeds, nowhere can a requirement to believe such things be found on the lips of Jesus Himself.

[ 11. March 2003, 01:54: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanuensis

Idler
# 1555

- Posted      Profile for Amanuensis     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the virgin birth is important (see my comments on the thread in kerygmania).
But, if I had to vote on your question, then I would certainly vote "no". Faith is a relationship, not a list of tick boxes.

--------------------
What's new?

Posts: 547 | From: Cornwall | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanuensis

Idler
# 1555

- Posted      Profile for Amanuensis     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanuensis:
I think the virgin birth is important (see my comments on the thread in kerygmania).

lawks, it wasn't in kerygmania. It was 'biblical criticism made simple' on this very board.

--------------------
What's new?

Posts: 547 | From: Cornwall | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to rephrase the question if I may (on the basis that as Amanuensis has said whether anyone is a Christian, let alone choosing to use the word of themselves, isn't a matter of what you believe but who you're in relationship with - ie: God).

Is the virgin birth an essential part of a healthy and empowering Christian doctrine?

Central to the Christian faith, IMV, is is the Crucifixion of Christ. This is the turning point in history, the point when a way back into full relationship with God the Father became possible. But, if Christ were just a man, even a very good man, his death would have been just that of a martyr; it would be something to inspire you to try and follow his teaching but would not effect any forgiveness for sin. But, within orthodox Christian tradition his death is a sacrifice for forgiveness of our sins (with several models of how that is achieved). To be effective this has to be a perfect sacrifice, and if that sacrifice was just a man then it would be the greatest injustice for God to accept such a sacrifice. However, if the sacrifice is God himself then it is both perfect and just (in that God isn't asking someone else to do what he himself isn't willing to do). Thus, the Incarnation is essential in understanding the Crucifixion.

Was it essential for Christ to be born f a virgin to be God Incarnate? Now that is an interesting question....

Alan

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan
I totally accet Christ's atoning sacrifice for mankind, but I wouldn't care to try to define how the atonement works, that I leave quite happily in the realms of mystery beyond my understanding. But for Jesus to be a perfect sacrifice, does it require a virgin birth? That He was the Word made flesh
and Immanuel(God with us) doesn't IMHO require a supernatural birth. Anyone's birth is a miracle.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Lou Poulain
Shipmate
# 1587

- Posted      Profile for Lou Poulain   Email Lou Poulain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I'm going to rephrase the question if I may ...

Is the virgin birth an essential part of a healthy and empowering Christian doctrine?
...Was it essential for Christ to be born f a virgin to be God Incarnate? Now that is an interesting question....
Alan

Alan,
From my point of view it's necessary to rephrase the question:
Is A LITERAL UNDERSTANDING of the Virgin Birth an essential....

I don't believe in a literal Virgin Birth. Our faith is that in Christ, God and man are met. The problem with the volumes of explanations of the credal claims about Jesus is that they depend on a particular metaphysics. That metaphysics -- that explanation of how the world is -- does not work so well in our times.

The Virgin Birth made a lot more sense in the millenia before the discovery of the ovum. Mary was seen as the pure vessel of the action of the Holy Spirit. I think we need a new understanding that respects the realities of biology as they are known today.

Lots and lots of folk are Christian, and don't accept a literal interpretation of the Virgin Birth.

Lou

Posts: 526 | From: Sunnyvale CA USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IMO, not accepting the virgin birth is heretical. It is a small step from there not to accept the resurrection (which, after all, is quite impossible, too). And all the miracle stories. From there it is a short step to say "It is all a very pretty story, is it not? But quite impossible, so it most all be allegory."

My opinion, FWIW.

Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

Lou makes a very good point which explains why I am open minded about the subject. Because something isn't true as a piece of biological history, doesn't mean it's untrue in a spiritual sense. The purity of heart, mind and soul in Mary leading to her being chosen by God for such a special task was never in question. Also in John 1.11-12, John explains what it means to be born of God and not of a human father. That's the same as Jesus' explanation to Nicodemus about being born again. These are deeply spiritual teachings and not necessarily historical events.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There must be an awful lot of us heretics around then, Nancy

I wonder how many 'people in the street' know that there are a lot of Christians who think it is not necessary to believe everything literally, leaving no place for the celebration of myth and allegory?

I would guess that when a large number of people reach an age when they decide for themselves that events in the bible are impossible to believe (often a few years after the Santa bubble bursts) then they give up on Christianity and Church altogether

But if they were to realise that they could still be Christians if they didn't have to swallow every literal truth ........? I wonder.......

(Cue Richard Holloway and other liberal authors)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luna
Shipmate
# 2002

- Posted      Profile for Luna   Author's homepage   Email Luna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In response to Alan (and with all due respect to Lou)...

1 - Is the virgin birth an essential part of a healthy and empowering Christian doctrine?

2 - Was it essential for Christ to be born of a virgin to be God Incarnate?

I have to stick my nineteen year old neck out and give a resounding 'yes' to both questions.

One does not have to compromise his intellect in order to be a Christian, but there are mysteries of the faith that, while hard to swallow on scientific grounds, are essential if we are to stay consistent with what has been believed by Christians for two millennia. Please cross-reference the Nicene Creed ("who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man") and the Ecumenical Councils - Mary was bestowed the title of "Theotokos" ('the God-bearer' or 'Mother of God') instead of simply "Mother of Christ" in order to preserve Christ's true identity as fully God and fully man.

If Mary was not a virgin, then Christ was entirely human - and if Christ was in no way divine, he would have fallen into sin at some point in time, which would make his death an imperfect, and therefore unacceptable, sacrifice for our sins. And there goes the salvation of the world.

Allison

--------------------
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
Visit my blog!

Posts: 107 | From: UC Berkeley, California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i don't think the accepted theory is that Jesus was half and half.

instead, he was entirely human AND entirely divine.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
is it possible for a person so severly retarded that s/he can't understand the concept of virgin birth to be a christian?

is it possible for a child who hasn't been told the "facts of life" yet, and who doesn't know what a virgin is, to be a christian?

i think the answer to both is obviously yes. therefore, no, one does not need to believe in the virgin bith to be a christian.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps this is only amusing to me, but I tend to regard this entire idea qute inversely.

I percieve much of Christianity to be rather hard to swallow. Indeed, if you're going to choose believe in most of a story that affects all of reality anyway (including a benevolent creator, angels, and a devil for contrast) why can't you believe in something as relatively minor as a virgin birth?

Before I dance around on too many people's toes, let me throw in the disclaimer that I freely acknowledge that Christianity could be right. Moreover, I have a great deal of respect for it's ideals, and as an important part of society (and for it's sheer story-telling audacity!).

Nevertheless, I connect the term "Christian" with a person's ability to accept what I consider to be dubious. Though, in my unfortunate habit of arguing against myself, I must admit that this does not mean that believing in any particular part, including virgin birth, is a necessary requirement.

Makes me wonder though - how much doubt of Christian principles is allowable before a person must rescind the title "Christian"?

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Indeed, if you're going to choose believe in most of a story that affects all of reality anyway (including a benevolent creator, angels, and a devil for contrast) why can't you believe in something as relatively minor as a virgin birth?

Amen, brother. The whole story is hard to swallow. Why stick on that particular point?

We are all in a sense the children of God. But Jesus is called the Son of God in a very literal and specific way. If there was no virgin birth then Jesus' father is not God.

Christianity rests on the claim of Jesus' divinity. Having Him born of a human mother and father pretty much denies that claim.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bing
Shipmate
# 1316

- Posted      Profile for Bing     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The position from my parker knoll recliner (tatty - chic vynil) is that I am a virgin birth agnostic. After 30 years of believing in Jesus I am none to sure either way. I'm so intellectually challenged that I tend to concur with the last argument I read.
I have no doubts on the crucifixion and resurrection though - so I sort of reckon that it is not absolutely necessary to believe in the Virgin Birth to have faith.
On the other hand, I would not be surprised if it were true: God has a way of doing stuff far beyond our powers of imagination.

Rick.

--------------------
I once was bald.

Posts: 120 | From: Hull | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
Christianity rests on the claim of Jesus' divinity. Having Him born of a human mother and father pretty much denies that claim.

I, too, think RooK hit the nail on the head (and I, FWIW, believe utterly in it - I have no compelling reason not to).

I think the Virgin Birth argument is actually a part of a larger argument: do miracles happen?

There are (I was surprised to learn) a lot of Christians who don't actually believe in miracles... (if anyone can explain this view in a succinct manner, I'd be grateful).

Given this, while my faith - partly - rests on the divinity of Christ, not every Christian's does... are they still Christians? Well, there's people I know who'd say otherwise, but I'd hesitate to call that judgement myself. I don't think we have a clear-cut definition of what a Christian actually is to decide that.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:

There are ... a lot of Christians who don't actually believe in miracles...

... are they still Christians?

If they do not believe in any miracles then that must include the resurrection, which IMO is probably the one fundamental belief of Christianity.

As Paul put it:
[1Cor 15:12-14] Now if Christ is preached as raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised; if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain.

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve_R:
If they do not believe in any miracles then that must include the resurrection, which IMO is probably the one fundamental belief of Christianity.

It's certainluy the fundamental belief of most of the Christians I know... but a few years ago I was acquainted with an Anglican priest, who didn't believe in the virgin birth or a literal resurrection - and didn't have a problem reconciling it with her faith.

Not having discussed this at any great length with her, I'm still at a loss to understand how this can be. I know there are shipmates who hold this view: would any of them be able to explain?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Scottie
Apprentice
# 1528

- Posted      Profile for Scottie         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
is it possible for a person so severly retarded that s/he can't understand the concept of virgin birth to be a christian?

is it possible for a child who hasn't been told the "facts of life" yet, and who doesn't know what a virgin is, to be a christian?

i think the answer to both is obviously yes. therefore, no, one does not need to believe in the virgin bith to be a christian.

I think that logic is a wee bit faulty. By the same process, you could negate any aspect of the Christian mystery - the Trinity, the resurrection, Pentecost etc. God created all of us and knows our limitations and we believe to the best of our ability and understanding. What we believe and understand as children has to grow and develop as we do. The fact that I did not understand what the Virgin birth was at age 5 does not give me a reason not to believe it now.

God bless

Scotty

Posts: 8 | From: Scotland | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently read something by the Jesuit theologian Edward Oakes that struck me as a very apt way of putting the matter. The context was a critical review of a book on Christology by another Jesuit. Oakes said that the problem with the book was in fact the problem of modern theology in general. The author presented Christianity as something that was difficult to understand but easy to believe. In other words, if we can only figure out how to understand such things as the virgin birth, miracles, and resurrection (e.g. as "myths" or "metaphors" or the creation of the faith of the early Church) then they become quite easy to believe. Oakes makes the point that, in general, it is the opposite that is true: Christianity is easy to understand and hard to believe.

I thought this quite nicely framed the issue and accurately describes the fundamental project of modern theology, at least since Schleiermacher: how to make Christianity acceptable to its "cultured despisers"?

FCB

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Virgin Birth made a lot more sense in the millenia before the discovery of the ovum. Mary was seen as the pure vessel of the action of the Holy Spirit. I think we need a new understanding that respects the realities of biology as they are known today.

I don't see why this should be the case. In fact I think that knowing about the ovum makes the virgin birth make more sense. If Mary had - as would presumably been thought at the time (though I don't know what Jewish thought on the matter was, only Greek) - just been the 'soil' into which the 'seed' was planted, then where did Jesus' humanity come from? But knowing about the ovum we can see how Christ was incarnate 'of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary'. Or that's how I see it anyway.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I don't see why this should be the case. In fact I think that knowing about the ovum makes the virgin birth make more sense. If Mary had - as would presumably been thought at the time (though I don't know what Jewish thought on the matter was, only Greek) - just been the 'soil' into which the 'seed' was planted, then where did Jesus' humanity come from? But knowing about the ovum we can see how Christ was incarnate 'of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary'. Or that's how I see it anyway.

I think that's a very sensible way of seeing things. The biology thing is quite possibly a red herring.

Oh, and FCB, thanks for your explanation... but I'm not sure I understood its significance. It's most probably my fault, me being stupid and it being Thursday and stuff, but could you explain it again?

--------------------
Narcissism.

UnShaggy

UnSurly shipmate
# 82

- Posted      Profile for UnShaggy   Author's homepage   Email UnShaggy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The biology thing is quite possibly a red herring

I agree. Given that Matthew records Joseph's intention to break off his engagement to Mary (when he finds out she's pregnant - and not by him) I suspect that more than enough of "the realities of biology" were known.

When I became a Christian some six or seven years ago my understanding of the faith was very limited. The virgin birth was something I knew of but hadn't really thought about. It certainly didn't play a part in my deciding whether or not I was a Christian, so I'd have to answer the thread's question "no".

--------------------
We are like sailors who on the open sea must reconstruct their ship but are never able to start afresh from the bottom. Otto Neurath

Posts: 462 | From: That's me in the corner | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Believing the impossible before breakfast….

I agree with Wood that crux of this debate may be on “Can we believe in miracles?”

So many impossibilities in the bible… ranging from the Jesus rising from the dead, down through the virgin birth, feeding of the 5000 and with a few minor ones dotted about, such as the iron bar floating on water somewhere in the depths of the Old Testament. Some Christians believe that all of these literally happened, some in some of them, some in none of them (I don’t want to get side-tracked onto “what is a Christian” at this point, so we’ll move on quickly).

But how did I order the sentence in bold type? Some people might range these reports according to how contra they are to the laws of science or how fundamental we see those laws to be (i.e gravity vs. mammal reproduction). Others might order them to how easy for them to be misinterpreted or mis-reported (biblical inerrancy here we come). But, on the basis of this discussion, I propose that most Christians ‘order’ these on the basis of their theological importance… how crucial any one event is in terms of their own faith.

Most Christians would argue that whether or not the resurrection literally happened is a more vital question than whether Jesus turned water into wine. But does that make the latter any less likely to have happened?

clare

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood, and others who found my last post obscure. . .

I'm sure the problem is with me and not you. In trying to be concise I always end up being cryptic.

The point was that one way of understanding "modern theology" -- by which I mean mainly protestant theology since the early 19th century -- is that it seeks to explain Christian beliefs in such a way that modern people can believe them without difficulty (Roman Catholic theology didn't really begin to get "modern" in this sense until the 1960's). The reference to Schleiermacher is to his Speeches on Religion to its Cultured Despisers, which is generally considered a watershed for this type of theology. In it, he attempted to show the German intelligensia that Christianity was compatible with the Kantian philosophy that then held sway. Now, there is nothing wrong with that per se, except that beliefs that didn't fit with the presuppositions of Kant's philosophy tended either to get explicitly pitched, or reinterpreted in terms that fundamentally changed the belief. I would contrast this with my hero, Thomas Aquinas, who sought to use Aristotelian philosophy to better understand Christian beliefs.

Maybe an example or two would help. In trying to understand the traditional Christian belief in the Incarnation, Schleiermacher reinterpreted it as the claim that while all human beings possessed at least an implicit consciousness of a being upon whom they were absolutely dependent, Jesus' "God Consciousness" was so fully developed that we can speak of him as "God's Son." I would dare say that this amounts to a rather different claim than "one person, two natures" (or even, "And the Word was God") but it certainly is easier for modern people to believe. Or, regarding the resurrection, Schleiermacher claimed that Jesus did not actually die on the cross, but simply fell into a coma. However, because his God Consciousness was so powerful, he was able to temporarily revive and was seen by some of his disciples. Again, this is certainly easier to believe than that God raised Jesus from the dead, but is it still belief in the resurrection?

The point that Oakes makes, I think, is that modern theology has fundamentally misunderstood its task as supplying people with an understanding of Christian beliefs that is easy to believe in the modern world.
But why should matters of belief be easy? What makes us think that people in the first century were more willing to accept a virgin giving birth, a man being God, or a person returning to life from the grave? Indeed, the Gospels indicate that most people in the first century found these things very difficult, if not impossible, to believe.

Now if there had only been theologians there to explain that the virgin birth was a mythological symbol. . .

By the way, a great short critique of (i.e. a screed against) the Catholic version of modern theology is Hans Urs von Balthasar's The Moment of Christian Witness.

FCB

--------------------

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am rather keen on symbolism. I don't think it's cheating, because it is often harder to tease out the hidden depths of meaning behind a symbol than it is to simply believe everything unthinkingly just because the Bible says it is so.

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Creator of the Universe decides for whatever reason that He will become incarnate and born of a virgin, then it's no biggie for Him to organise it I reckon.

Do I believe it is an issue of salvation? Nup.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I am rather keen on symbolism. I don't think it's cheating, because it is often harder to tease out the hidden depths of meaning behind a symbol than it is to simply believe everything unthinkingly just because the Bible says it is so.

Isn't this a rather stark contrast? In fact, modern biblical criticism is rather tone-deaf regarding symbolism, whereas pre-modern bible readers, who "unthinkingly" accepted such things as the virgin birth, didn't think there was any incompatability with thinking such things "really happened" and thinking that they were symbolic.

FCB

--------------------

Wood
# 7

FCB's right: in fact a person living in the Roman Empire would almost certainly accept something on at least the symbolic level - the idea that you get in most Greco-Roman histories, for example, is that a thing didn't have to have happened to be true.

On the other hand, they tended to be pretty critical of this kind of stuff actually happening - see for example, Plutarch's rationalisations of a number of mythological characters (written c. AD120 or thereabouts).

And yet, the early Christians not only grasped the symbolic import of the Incarnaton etc. but also accepted it as true. Which, I think says something.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Lou Poulain
Shipmate
# 1587

- Posted      Profile for Lou Poulain   Email Lou Poulain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allison Kistler:
...One does not have to compromise his intellect in order to be a Christian, but there are mysteries of the faith that, while hard to swallow on scientific grounds, are essential if we are to stay consistent with what has been believed by Christians for two millennia.
...If Mary was not a virgin, then Christ was entirely human - and if Christ was in no way divine, he would have fallen into sin at some point in time, which would make his death an imperfect, and therefore unacceptable, sacrifice for our sins. And there goes the salvation of the world.

The core belief that makes us Christian is that God entered the human experience in Christ. The myth of virgin birth provided the "how" of it, and was a perfectly satisfactory explanation for millenia. For many it no longer suffices because of how we see the world. But you are right. There are mysteries of the faith. For me it remains the greatest of mysteries that God entered into human experience. It virginal conception of Jesus is the metaphor that makes this notion accessable.

So, yes I believe in the virgin birth ... but not literally.

Lou

Scottie
Apprentice
# 1528

- Posted      Profile for Scottie         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lou Poulain:

So, yes I believe in the virgin birth ... but not literally.

Lou[/QB]

This is getting too metaphysical for me - how can you believe in the virgin birth - but not literally. How did the Incarnation happen then?

Peace

Scotty

Posts: 8 | From: Scotland | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tim V
Shipmate
# 830

- Posted      Profile for Tim V   Author's homepage   Email Tim V   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
If the Creator of the Universe decides for whatever reason that He will become incarnate and born of a virgin, then it's no biggie for Him to organise it I reckon.

Do I believe it is an issue of salvation? Nup.

If Jesus was born of a virgin, there must have been a reason for it, surely? Is there any established theology which sets out to explain why Jesus was born in such a way? I can understand why Jesus would need to have become incarnate through the power of the Holy Spirit, which I guess would make Joseph a little unnecessary but why would Mary need to be a virgin? If there is a reason for it then it may become an issue for salvation.

In Tom Clancy's book, Debt of Honour, when the last of the Russian missiles has been destroyed two men (one Russian, one American) drink a toast and then, following a Russian custom, throw the glasses away so that they may never be used for a lesser purpose. Perhaps it has something to do with this?

Tim

--------------------
Scots steel tempered wi' Irish fire.
Is the weapon that I desire.

Posts: 212 | From: The crow's nest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
scotty, i think you missed my point.

the original poster asked not "is the virgin birth true", (a point i'm entirely agnostic about) but "is it neccessary to believe in it." the point i was making is that since there are christians who are incapable for whatever reason in believing in it, yet are undoubtedly christians (at least, i have no doubts on that issue) indicates to me at least that no, its not neccessary.

frankly this is part of a larger issue for me, the over-intellectualization of religion. if ya' gotta' have a high iq to be saved, then it leaves too many people out. if it requires convoluted theological contortions to understand the message, then the message is to complex.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is why, right at the beginning of the thread I offered a slightly different question. As karl often says, we are not saved by doctrine, let alone intellectual assent to doctrine.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most people on this thread are happy to assert that you don't have to check the "I believe in a literal virgin birth" box to be a christian. Which is why we have, quite legitimately IMO, moved onto the question of why the virgin birth is one of the miracles that Christians find more difficult (or less important) to believe in.

If I may, can I turn the question around and ask "why don't you believe in a literal virgin birth?" ('you' being the agnostics/ non literalists posting on this thread). What is it in your theology that makes this an unlikely/impossible event to happen?

clare

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lou Poulain
Shipmate
# 1587

quote:
Originally posted by Scottie:
This is getting too metaphysical for me - how can you believe in the virgin birth - but not literally. How did the Incarnation happen then?

My faith is that God entered into human experience through the person of Jesus. Doctrinally we hold that Jesus was FULLY human and FULLY divine. This is a mystery. Our mechanistic explanations for this are culturally and linguisticly limited. I believe the "what" (incarnation), and accept the "how" (virginal conception) metaphorically.

But this entire discussion raises great questions. Since the beginnings of "higher criticism" the mainstream of the churches has moved beyond literalism, and there has been a reaction called Fundimentalism. Has this dynamic happened with regard to the credal statements of the great ecumenical councils? If not, why not? Why would scripture be subject to critical analysis in light of culture, language, etc,. and not the credal statements themselves?

Interesting things to think about.

Lou

Bing
Shipmate
# 1316

- Posted      Profile for Bing     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent much of the day mulling this over - especially the aspect of the miraculous in the scriptures and to what degree we should suspend disbelf and overrule our logical minds.
My conclusion was; having life itself transcends 'miraculous' - the universe is beyond imagination, so how can we limit God and say, "That is too miraculous to be possible"?
We are immersed in a soup of impossible miraculous ocurrences that we take for granted. The virgin birth is just another one.

--------------------
I once was bald.

Posts: 120 | From: Hull | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandfather once gave a sermon on this subject--that must have been almost 20 years ago now. At the time (I was probably 16 or 17 at the time), I was very disturbed by the question. To me, the Virgin Birth was an indisputable fact--something that one believed if one were truly a Christian. Now, 20 years later, I'm not as sure. I still believe in the Virgin Birth (and the other miracles of the gospels), but am more unsure about it being a requirement to be a Christian.
In my mind, the absolute requirement is to believe that Jesus was the Son of God, God incarnate in human form, and that through his Death and Resurrection our sins were atoned for. After that... darned if I know.

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood said:
quote:
but a few years ago I was acquainted with an Anglican priest, who didn't believe in the virgin birth or a literal resurrection - and didn't have a problem reconciling it with her faith.

Yes, these characters are out there--including that heretic Spong. How can you be a member of a church that subscribes to the traditional creeds, but not believe them? Part of the baptism ceremony, and usually the confirmation ceremony, of such churches includes giving assent to the creeds. Does one therefore lie in order to be initiated into the church, then go about the business of doing churchy things?

I have heard people stop speaking during parts of the creed that they can't go along with, which is at least more honest than reciting it and lying at the same time.

Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Other cultures don't seem to have a problem with the pride they feel in their shared story and myth tradition. It's not a case of lying, more a case of explaining difficult things in a simplified form. If you are trying to explain how God can become man, then the virgin birth is a good way to do it. A good example of this is the creation story - the basic order of how living things came into being is correct, but the 'made it in 6 days' is a pictorial way of expressing what happened. Preachers do the same when they show a triangle or some other way to illustrate the (fiendishly complicated to understand) Trinity.

Well that's how I see it anyway. Anyone else agree, or am I on my own on this one?

--------------------

Lou Poulain
Shipmate
# 1587

quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Winningham:
Yes, these characters are out there--including that heretic Spong. ......Does one therefore lie in order to be initiated into the church, then go about the business of doing churchy things?

I don't think that the issue of "literal vs non-literal" is a matter of lying. I say the creed weekly at Eucharist without qualms and without literalism.

Thomas Aquinas began his Summa Theologiae with the statement that God is unknowable, and we cannot say what God is, but only what he is not. (The Via Negativa) The Transcendent and the Holy is beyond our ability to delimit. It is possible to stand in awe of the mystery of God and yet not be awed by the statements the churches make about God (all of which are limited by culture and language).

Poor Jack Spong would have surely been burnt at the stake a mere four hundred years ago, don't you think? I recommend his latest book, which addresses the question of how to shape Christianity in this modern world. I don't think one has to agree with him to appreciate the validity of the question.

Lou

[corrected quote attribution]

[ 14 December 2001: Message edited by: Wood ]

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Do people who think one has to believe in the literal virgin birth also believe in transubstantiation? Or do they believe that the bread and wine are not literally the body and blood of Jesus? (I will need to think this one through because it has only just occurred to me, from reading the other posts)

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim V:
If Jesus was born of a virgin, there must have been a reason for it, surely? Is there any established theology which sets out to explain why Jesus was born in such a way?
In Tom Clancy's book, Debt of Honour, when the last of the Russian missiles has been destroyed two men (one Russian, one American) drink a toast and then, following a Russian custom, throw the glasses away so that they may never be used for a lesser purpose. Perhaps it has something to do with this?
That is quite the most simple yet evocatively conveyed reason for the perpetual virginity of Mary that I've come across. Most thought provoking. But I suspect it will rile the humanists.

I prefer this take on it to the one where the virgin birth is required so that Jesus' human nature is sinless. Or that birth of a woman is required for him to have a human nature. After all, God created Adam and Eve - so I see no reason why Mary could not just have been the receptacle of a divinely created human nature (ie. none of her genes) - this however is not orthodox (in the broad sense) christian belief. I'll accept it because it's the faith of the Church, but if anyone is clued up on why it was necessary for Jesus' human nature to come from Mary pls reply (or start a new thread not to derail this).

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Do people who think one has to believe in the literal virgin birth also believe in transubstantiation?

Not at all. That's a theology that's come down filtered through different traditions, rather than the virgin birth, which is common to all Christian denominations.

--------------------
Narcissism.

PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

I have seen some very thought provoking replies to this thread. I think Lou is right when he says that Christianity is about God entering into human nature in the person of Jesus Christ. Someone raised the question about the resurection.

There are many possible intrpretations of terms such as Son of God. Paul in Romans 1.4 says Jesus was declared Son of God by his rising from the dead. That isn't quite the same as being the pre-existant Logos as described by St.John. The Incarnation is a mystery and meant diferent things even to the writers of the NT. That doesn't mean any of them are wrong, it means that Jesus is Immanuel, but the details are shrouded in mystery.

The resurrection is also a mystery. That the resurrested Christ could appear and disappear at will suggests He appeared as a ghost, but that He could be touched by Thomas and others and eat fish suggests He could make Himself solid. But He tells Mary Magdalene not to touch Him because He is not yet risen, but encourages Thomas to do so. The point is that different witnesses had different experiences even of the Risen Christ.

The resurrection of the shattered lives of the disciples from selfish cowardly obtuse people, to courageous proclaimers of the Risen Lord through suffering persecution and martyrdom is the essential proof of the resurrection. Jesus' followers knew that the bond of love that had existed between them while on earth hadn't been broken by His death and He was still there as a guiding presence in their lives. The mechanics of it or what sort of body He was resurrected into is beyond the understanding of anybody alive and should be accepted as a mystery.

For me the essentials of Christianity are that Jesus was the icon of God on earth, that in some way I don't pretend to understand, He reconciled God and man, and that in some form which I also don't pretend to undertand, He convinced those nearest to Him that He had survived death and was always there to intercede for mankind with the Father. I don't think much else matters.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH:

For me the essentials of Christianity are that Jesus was the icon of God on earth, that in some way I don't pretend to understand, He reconciled God and man, and that in some form which I also don't pretend to undertand, He convinced those nearest to Him that He had survived death and was always there to intercede for mankind with the Father. I don't think much else matters.

wow, my thoughts exactly, PaulTH, but I wish I could put them as clearly as you

--------------------

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not about to pursue who is not a Christian - and shall even refrain from commenting on how the virginal conception (in fact, in this sense much like the resurrection), totally outside of the experience of anyone in any era, was believed by Christians for all of these centuries. Yet there is a level where I believe we'd be missing something if we did not consider the implications of a virginal conception. (The reason I do not say "virgin birth," I suppose, is that I've read too much maximalist Franciscan enthusiasms of the Middle Ages not to grimace at the lengths they went to defending that Mary was delivered of the child virgo intacta.) But, of course, I cannot resist a grin at how those who are the most literalist in their interpretation of Scripture do not care for such an interpretation of "This is my Body."

The virginal conception reminds us of God's "Otherness." Indeed, he is the Creator, and normally works through creation - but here was a case where, in Christ's becoming Man, God was not "limited" by the created order as He established it. (I don't know that 1st century Jews would have found the concept of miracles so astonishing in itself - they were far more aware of God's acting within creation than we - but a virgin birth would be so foreign an idea to anyone's thought that it would have been totally unlikely to be a created myth, either for those giving testimony to Christ or uttering prophecies.)

Of course, following the idea of God's limitless power to act, it was not essential that He bring forth the Incarnation in any particular fashion - I believe it was Cardinal Ratzinger (certainly no liberal!) who set forth that this was an ontological reality, and not, if you will, making the biological reality necessary for Jesus to be the Incarnate Word. (The point can even be stretched that it was not strictly necessary for a Christian to know anything about Jesus's conception to accept who he was.) Yet there being this detail, and its having been revealed to the Church, reminds us not only of Jesus's humanity, and His divinity (God's only son), but of our own limitations. It is rather awe-inspiring, I would say. God worked outside of the normal created order - but, dealing with "time and space limited" mortals, His both suspending the laws of nature, as it were, and making this known to us was a way of making us see, strongly, Jesus's uniqueness. We need that aid to grasping the truth, I believe.

I think that, central though the Cross is to our faith, we're limiting things too much when we think of the Incarnation solely in terms of our salvation. I think we need to re-visit the idea of deification - the ways in which our own intimacy with God was affected by Jesus's entire life, by His Resurrection and ascension, by His presence in the Church, etc. He is not an intercessor - that is far too limited a viewpoint. (Nor did His Incarnation consist only in His birth... I've also read too many Franciscans to forget to add that.)

That Jesus would assume human nature, and that, in the very act of this happening, God, without Jesus's being in any way less a man, worked (in a way that would boggle our thick heads forever afterward!) outside of the usual limitations of creation, seems very powerful to me. Concurrently, the divine Logos was accepting all of the limitations of being a man, while remaining a divine Person!

Certainly, the very first Christians were not less so for not knowing about the virginal conception - but I must say that, in our own Christian lives, it is likely to be more helpful than not if we do not ignore two thousand years of revelation and belief.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

On this question of whether one has to believe in the virgin birth to be a Christian: I think the very question comes at the issue from the wrong direction. Rather than thinking in terms of what the minimum is that we have to believe, I'd rather think about all the cool stuff I get to believe.

FCB

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim V:
Is there any established theology which sets out to explain why Jesus was born in such a way?

Swedenborgianism goes on at length about this, the general rule being that nothing recorded in Scripture happened without a reason.

There are basically three reasons for the virgin birth:

1. Because of the meaning of virginity - The reason that Messiah was born to a virgin is because of the symbolism associated with virginity. A virgin represents the pure love that receives God in a person's life. So virgins, or young women, are often mentioned in the Old Testament. It is true that the Hebrew word is ambiguous, but the Greek word is not. Mary represents humanity itself, and especially that aspect of humanity that is fully accepting of God. This is why it was important that she be a virgin.

2. Because of the necessity that He have human heredity, yet have a divine soul - The reason that Jesus was born in the normal way and not simply created was because of the nature of His mission. He was to take on the sins of the world hereditarily through His mother. The idea is that everyone inherits tendencies to selfishness and worldliness through their parents. These tendencies are the means by which hell influences a person, and so they were the means by which the hells were able to attack Jesus - and be defeated by Him.

So it was important that Jesus have a human mother, so that He could inherit the sins of the world, so to speak. But it was equally important that His inner soul be divine from the Father. During the course of His life this inner soul manifested itself increasingly. Through continual spiritual battles with the hells Jesus gradually united Himself with the Father, the union being complete in the resurrection.

3. The third reason is so that He could literally be the Son of God. If Jesus had a human father He would not be the Son of God.

These reasons all relate to the entire mechanism of salvation both of the human race as a whole, and of each individual. There is a part of each person that is like Mary - and God is born miraculously into that part of them. The process is replicated in many ways in a person's life.

To my mind these reasons make no sense if you accept the atonement theory of salvation. They are coming from an entirely different view of Jesus' mission. This view makes the virgin birth an essential part of the purpose of the incarnation.

So, anyway, that is one established theology which sets out to explain why Jesus was born in such a way.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Because of the necessity that He have human heredity, yet have a divine soul -

quote:
So it was important that Jesus have a human mother, so that He could inherit the sins of the world, so to speak. But it was equally important that His inner soul be divine from the Father. During the course of His life this inner soul manifested itself increasingly. Through continual spiritual battles with the hells Jesus gradually united Himself with the Father, the union being complete in the resurrection.

I'm not convinced these statements represent orthodox Christology, in fact I suspect it is a defined heresy to say his soul was divine and his body human - I'm just not sure which (Docetism?). Christ was fully human AND fully divine and those two natures are indivisible, so you can't say that one bit was God and another was Man.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016