homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » UM: UM Relay (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: UM: UM Relay
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the 'Favorite UM' thread, babybear suggested that we construct our own Urban Myth. I think that would be a fun project. So... for starters, let's do an UM relay.
Each poster should add the next detail of our new UM. It can be completely your own idea, or it can be taken from an existing UM (if so, let us know which one it comes from.) The only requirement is that the UM should end up making sense--ie each added piece should follow from the previous piece. Let's try going for 20 iterations before someone closes it--but hey, if someone has an awesome ending sooner, go for it.

babybear, since you proposed it, would you like to start?

Sieg

[ 10. March 2003, 02:02: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Argh, I didn't mean me! I was the one who came up with the idea.

Last night I heard that most amazing tale. It was told to me a very dear and trusted friend.

Somwhere in the mid-west.....

edited to correct spelling

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Last night I heard that most amazing tale. It was told to me a very dear and trusted friend.

Somwhere in the mid-west.....

A farmer was getting ready to harvest his corn. As he was going over his harvesting equipment (which he hadn't even looked at since last season) he discovered in the cab of the harvester...

Sieg

(That'll teach you to make good suggestions, bb! )

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... a strange sheet of parchment-like paper covered with the most beautiful, but incomprehensible...
Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
geometric patterns which he couldn't fathom any sense out of at all.He returned back to the farm and showed....
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

- Posted      Profile for Gill   Email Gill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the parchment to his wife, who to his surprise exclaimed in horror. He then realized that his hand was slowly blistering and the skin was falling away.

--------------------
Still hanging in there...

Posts: 1828 | From: not drowning but waving... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

He is rushed to the emergency room and is found to be suffering from flesh eating bacteria. The doctor examines the paper but doesn't recognize the contents. He lays it on the counter and...

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suddenly has an unlikely hunch. So he grabs a Bible which conveniently happens to be on a nearby shelf and...

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phil R.
Shipmate
# 128

- Posted      Profile for Phil R.   Email Phil R.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reveals an old magazine on the shelf behind it... On the cover of which
Posts: 216 | From: Sussex, England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
is a crop circle surrounding a pentangle, with the words "Warn the World! The AntiChrist has arisen!". Shocked, he drops the magazine, and turns around, to be confronted by...

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a man dressed all in black and wearing dark sunglasses, who takes hold of the patients injured hand and.....

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... kisses the bishop's ring on it, and then ...

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[administrative break]

Oi! This was mean to be something that would approach a real live UM. It is being turned into "Men in Black" meets "X Files".

Get with the plot!

[end of administrative interlude]

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

Thanks a lot babybear. I tried to re-route us a few posts back.

Sieg

da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay so are we carrying on from here or backtracking to a certain? If backtracking to where?
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before you backtrack--I got this compilation about 2 years ago...

I was on my way to the post office to pick up my case of free M&M's (sent to me because I forwarded an e-mail to five other people, celebrating the fact that the year 2000 is "MM" in Roman numerals),when I ran into a friend whose neighbor, a young man, was home recovering from having been served a rat in his bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken (which is predictable, since as everyone knows, there's no actual chicken in Kentucky Fried Chicken, which is why the government made them change their name to KFC).

Anyway, one day this guy went to sleep and when he awoke he was in his bathtub and it was full of ice and he was sore all over and when he got out of the tub he realized that HIS KIDNEY HAD BEEN STOLEN. He saw a note on his mirror that said "Call 911!" but he was afraid to use his phone because it was connected to his computer, and there was a virus on his computer that would destroy his hard drive if he opened an e-mail entitled "Join the crew!" He knew it wasn't a hoax because he himself was a computer programmer who was working on software to prevent a global disaster in which all the computers get together and distribute the $250.00 Neiman-Marcus cookie recipe under the leadership of Bill Gates.

(It's true - I read it all last week in a mass e-mail from BILL GATES HIMSELF, who was also promising me a free Disney World vacation and $5,000 if I would forward the e-mail to everyone I know.)

The poor man then tried to call 911 from a pay phone to report his missing kidneys, but a voice on the line first asked him to press #90, which unwittingly gave the bandit full access to the phone line at the guy's expense. Then reaching into the coin-return slot he got jabbed with an HIV-infected needle around which was wrapped a note that said, "Welcome to the world of AIDS."

Luckily he was only a few blocks from the hospital - the one where that little boy who is dying of cancer is, the one whose last wish is for everyone in the world to send him an e-mail and the American Cancer Society has agreed to pay him a nickel for every e-mail he receives. I sent him two e-mails and one of them was a bunch of x's and o's in the shape of an angel (if you get it and forward it to more than 10 people, you will have good luck but for 10 people only you will only have OK luck and if you send it to fewer than 10 people you will have BAD LUCK FOR SEVEN YEARS).

So anyway the poor guy tried to drive himself to the hospital, but on the way he noticed another car driving without its lights on. To be helpful, he flashed his lights at him and was promptly shot as part of a gang initiation.

Send THIS to all the friends who send you their junk mail and you will receive 4 green M&Ms - if you don't, the owner of Proctor and Gamble will report you to his Satanist friends and you will have more bad luck: you will get sick from the Sodium Laureth Sulfate in your shampoo, your spouse/mate will develop a skin rash from using the antiperspirant which clogs the pores under your arms, and the U.S. Government will put a tax on your e-mails forever.

I know this is all true 'cause I read it on the Internet.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

That is the sort of thing I had in mind.

Shall we start again?

Sieg

da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

Go On then.Let's Start again.
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of my grandmother, (who is a policeman, so he should know) said there are at least two fast food restaurants in her area who have been caught putting small amounts of addictive substances in the meals they serve up, to encourage customer loyalty.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Highlander
Shipmate
# 584

- Posted      Profile for Highlander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, the chemicals react to a certain ingredient in the food of their leading rivals, causing anyone who eats there to...
Posts: 83 | From: Chessington | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

To be violently sick within 24 hours.It also ....
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

causes them to fall into a hypnogic state, in which they hallucinate they've been abducted by aliens. After coming out of this state, the victims discover that...
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

their credit cards have all been maxed out and they can't recall what the money has been spent on.This is...
Phil R.
Shipmate
# 128

- Posted      Profile for Phil R.   Email Phil R.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a scam operated by the same gang that hides under cars on garage forecourts waiting to cut drivers' tendons; but then they also...
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

sneak into unoccupied hotel rooms, take the toothbrushes of unsuspecting tourists and...
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

place a chemical substance on the bristles.This is known as...
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

glurging.
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

- Posted      Profile for Gill   Email Gill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe we need to write bigger chunks?

--------------------
Still hanging in there...

Posts: 1828 | From: not drowning but waving... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Highlander
Shipmate
# 584

- Posted      Profile for Highlander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...Was the headline on the paper next day. The same paper which, on page 13 reported the mysterious dissappearance of...
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

the digestive tracts of a herd of dairy cows outside Casper, Wyoming. Police reportedly found indications that led them to believe...
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...that this was linked to two sets of footprints entering the field, and only one leaving it...

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

When asked, a police representative stated, "Well, obviously, at the point where there is only one set of footprints, one assailant carried the other."

(Sorry.. couldn't resisit the poke at 'Footprints'!)

Sieg

da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

This has led to much debate over how much the state has to do with these occurences as how can the policeman say such things with such authority unless he has a prior knowledge of the event.Many other reasons have been put forward for these seemingly baffling footprints. The most popular is that at least one of the assailants possessed telekinetic powers which he used to levitate himself whilst in motion. Some crackpots have ventured the idea that prehaps the assailants hopped from that point. Other state sponsored cover ups such as...
Highlander
Shipmate
# 584

...the fact that the Queen Mother actually died in 1998 and has, from that time, been a highly sofisticated animatronic, really have nothing to do with this case. After covert FBI investigation the true answer emerged. The secret branch of the government were actually breeding a new species of...
Phil R.
Shipmate
# 128

...Ant. The social groupings of the insects can be used to form analog computers. As there's no electronics they can't be detected by snoopers. The link to the Queen Mother is still shadowy, but is expected to...
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

be powered by this new form of power.The technology is still in its early stage so the queen mum is often in for repairs which explains her decline in public appearances. Other members of the royal family ...
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...have been working as "men in black", wearing black suits and sunglasses, and terrorizing any member of the population who has discovered any any information that could in any way be connected to this plot. the only group who have discovered the truth, and are working to spread it are the....

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

Knights Templar who by increasing awareness of this conspiracy hope to cover up their own attempts to...
Highlander
Shipmate
# 584

...replace the existing Royal family with the decendants of James, brother of Jesus, whom they consider the true Messiah. The followers of John the Baptist (Leonardo Davinci among them) have a counter-plot which involves taking DNA samples from...
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

all major hollywood players.They will then be able to clone them and useing Alien Technology age them to the same age as the current hollywood stars.After Indoctrinating the clones with their beliefs they wil replace the stars with these puppets.The world film industry will change over night and begin as a dedicated propaganda machine.The only group who can stop this are...
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

the Trilateralist commission. However, they are currently preoccupied by their long-running feud with...

(hmmm.. getting into conspiracies here.. but I personally have always felt conspiracy theories have a large crossover with UMs)

Sieg

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

...J.K.Rowling, who was unavailable for comment. It was however pointed out that she has never been seen simultaneously in public with Hilary Clinton, which has given rise to further speculation that...

--------------------

da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

the potter books are in fact an ingenious (if very cloaked) allegory of American politics of the past decade.The next book in the series will be an allegory of policies and actions Mrs.Clinton wishes to take as she attempts to move from Senator to President. The reaction to this novel will dictate what action she takes.Bill meanwhile..
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
having discovered that Monica Lewinsky was, in fact, also a MIB plant...

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Highlander
Shipmate
# 584

...went back to studying those mutant ants. In Britain, however, attention was gripped by the breakiing news story: It turns out that all popular urban myths are infact...
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

...simply mistranslated parables from the long missing, legendary "q" source. the only surviving manuscript of "q" is held by the knights templar also, who have been using it to....

--------------------

babybear
# 34

...wipe their bottoms. But they had faithfully scanned the orginal documments. It is possible to view them at....
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...the Office of Public Records in Penge on the third tuesday of every month, they are however guarded by...

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Highlander
Shipmate
# 584

...the two 'winged Sphinx' (Cherubim) from the Ark of the Covenant. They were bought from an antiques dealer traiding from...
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...the back of an old van in Camden Town market, who in turn had obtained them from....

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016