homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » MW: Lay Ministry (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW: Lay Ministry
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this isn't quite MW related (but then, only about 15% of current threads are, so what the hell), but I'd welcome people's thoughts on the relationship between priests and lay ministers (readers, PA's, Evangelists). How have people found the experience of sharing the work of the church? Do some priests resent the presnece of the "non-ordained" in such roles? How do the congregation regard lay ministers?

I'll kick off - my home parish church - Angloc-Cath, the odd smell, the odd bell and a lot of bowing - has been very keen to promote lay ministry, with myself being the third reader in training in the last decade or so (and another one onthe way). We also have a PEvang.

[ 10. March 2003, 02:07: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure, in this context, what you mean by "reader." Would you please explain the terms you used? Thanks, NW
Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that a 'reader' is a lay preacher. From what Dyfrig has said in other places it seems that there is a selection procedure, a course of study, and accreditation.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, being a bit overly-parochial Church of England here.

Reader - a CofE ministry allowing a person to participate in services (parts of the Eucharist liturgy, morning and evening prayer, family services), preach, and occasionally bury people - presumably ones who are dead. Also a bit of pastoral stuff too.

Parish Evangelists - er, evangelists who work in the, er, er,....parish. They often do work with baptismal preparation.

Pastoral Assistants - look, I'm not your mother. Work this one out for yourself.

Perhaps this should be opened up a bit - how do people find the relationship between orders (ministers, priests/deacons) and lay workers (in whatever context)?

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And sometimes these overlap.I know of lay readers who do more than others in some cases a hell of a lot more than may be strictly necessary and are Pastoral Assistants in all but name

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG
Shipmate
# 8

- Posted      Profile for Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG   Email Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During the last couple of years of my dad's life he was pretty much paralysed and my mother was his only care giver. (They could not afford a nursing home or a home health care worker.) Since my dad couldn't be left alone, neither he nor my mother could go to church. They lived in a fairly isolated part of Maine (my mother still does), and the local parish could only afford to have a priest come in on Sunday to say mass and preach. The parish dealt with this by having a rota of retired priests in the area. Some of these priests would take care of other pastoral concerns, such as taking communion to the sick and shut-in, as a matter of course, but most just "did the service" and took off afterward. Consequently, my mom and dad received communion only four or five times a year for three years.

After my dad died, my mom decided to do something about this since she knew there were other people in the parish in the same position that she and dad had been in. She became a licensed lay Eucharistic minister, and she now takes communion to the sick and shut-in every Sunday. Two other members of the parish, who hadn't even realized that lay people could do this, also became licensed lay Eucharistic ministers. This is a wonderful example of lay ministry at its best.

Chris

Posts: 151 | From: Yonkers, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the PCW lay workers of all descriptions are welcomed with open arms. There is a shortage of ministers, and without the lay preachers etc many services would just not take place.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan Henrietta Newperson
Shipmate
# 1203

- Posted      Profile for Joan Henrietta Newperson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my church there are two priests, a curate, an evangelist and two lay readers. The lay readers sit with the priests during the service but have no real role. Occasionally one will read the gospel but preaching or leading a service in the main church building are virtually unheard of. The readers lead a lot of services outside of the church but I think it is a shame they have such a low profile within it. Many people simply wonder why they are dressed up and are sitting at the front.

J. H. N.

--------------------
J. H. N.

---------------------------------

"A closed mouth gathers no foot"

Posts: 149 | From: Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fiddleback
unregistered

- Posted            Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the PCW lay workers of all descriptions are welcomed with open arms. There is a shortage of ministers, and without the lay preachers etc many services would just not take place.

There is a shortage of anyone in the PCW. Even when there is a lay preacher, there may not necessarily be anything in the pews to preach to.

IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan Henrietta Newperson:
The lay readers sit with the priests during the service but have no real role. Occasionally one will read the gospel but preaching or leading a service in the main church building are virtually unheard of. The readers lead a lot of services outside of the church but I think it is a shame they have such a low profile within it. Many people simply wonder why they are dressed up and are sitting at the front.

J. H. N.

That's outrageous! The primary purpose of a Reader is for preaching. As a Reader, I preach about every 5 weeks, lead Evenson at least once a month and often fulfil the role of Deacon during the Mass

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fiddleback
unregistered

A Lay Reader can have a useful role as a subdeacon at a High Mass in which role they can sing the Epistle. A Lay Reader should never read the Gospel at masss as this task is reserved for those in at least deacon's orders.

There's much more fun to be had in the CinW, babybear. Come home!

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleback:
A Lay Reader should never read the Gospel at masss as this task is reserved for those in at least deacon's orders.

Really? I read the Gospel most weeks and the roof hasn't fallen in yet.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleback:
There is a shortage of anyone in the PCW. Even when there is a lay preacher, there may not necessarily be anything in the pews to preach to.

It tends to be that the Welsh-language churches in the middle of no-where have rather low attendance rates, but in towns it is a lot better. My church is part of a joint pastorate (2 churches). My church has ~120 adults, and 30-50 children. The other church is a bit smaller, and normally has congregations of 100.

quote:

There's much more fun to be had in the CinW, babybear. Come home!

Oooh, soo tempting, but "coming home" would mean Church of Scotland, which is another Presby Church.

I was at an Anglican communion at the weekend, and quite frankly, (and with no disrespect to other peoples chosen style of worship) I couldn't not be faffed with all the upping and downing. My knees were screaming at me after I struggled up from the altar rail thingy.

bb

Tina
Shipmate
# 63

- Posted      Profile for Tina   Email Tina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We even have (whisper) ordinary members of the congregation reading the Gospel each week!!!

Confused person from low church tradition asks what is 'the role of deacon' that you fulfil as a Lay Reader, Spike?

Our Lay Readers (three of them) seem to do pretty much everything but consecration.

--------------------
Kindness is mandatory. Anger is necessary. Despair is a terrible idea. Despair is how they win. They won't win forever.

Posts: 503 | From: South London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
oldlccboy
Shipmate
# 1040

- Posted      Profile for oldlccboy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Fiddleback re a layman reading the Gospel. It cannot be. Again, as in many subjects we discuss on this Board, the intention of the reader is not what is suspect or to be criticized, but the ignorance of the Priest in allowing an irregular situation which all too quickly comes to be viewed as a precedential "right" of the laity.

Moreover, I regard the increasing tendency in the Roman and Anglican Churches to use readers - be they called layreaders or parish assistants or worship leaders or whatever... - as a thing to be deprecated.
Possible exceptions: a)a server reading the daily office on weekdays while the priest is vesting for Mass and b) for a handful of long-serving male servers to act as subdeacons when a third priest is unavailable.

The reason for my worry ? The more laypeople are given sacerdotal roles, the less incentive there is for them - or anyone observing them from the pews - to consider Holy Orders as a vocation. The blurring of the lines between things sacred and secular is a root reason for much of the disorder and schism and scandal in our Church today.

By all means encourage young men to act as acolytes, servers, crucifers, thurifers, boat boys, banner-bearers and masters of ceremony. And young women to act as beautifiers, designers, conservers and cleaners of the Sacred vessels, altar cloths and similar adornments and vestments. May both become involved on vestry, in fund-raising, in prayer and in all aspects of parish life and community service.

And let young men be encouraged to discern a possible vocation as priest, or an alternative vocation as permanent Deacon, or an even more unworldly calling as monk. Let young women be encouraged to consider taking the veil, or taking up the ancient and honourable work of a deaconess.

But let the priest preside and rule his household, the Parish Church, using his thorough grounding to be the authority whose evident love for his people, devotion to prayer and sacrament and model life make his rule the velvet glove not the iron fist. And let his parishioners support him and cherish him - and obey him.

Posts: 130 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tina - I'm with you. We have ordinary people reading all of the lessons regularly. We have for many years now. It is very empowering of them to be involved in ministry at the front, and we wouldn't have it any other way. We also have non-authorised people leading the services and preaching.

As a reader, I do everything except consecration. I actually took a communion service ( with pre-consecrated elements ) just before the summer.

It doesn't stop members of the congregation from seeking ordination or readership. I am one of 2 new readers, and one member has just started her curacy ( yes her ).

We have no intention, oldlccboy, of turning the clock back in our parish by 30 years, as you seem to suggest we should do. We cannot afford to, either financially or in terms of responsibility to the members of the congregation.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fiddleback
unregistered

It tends to be that the Welsh-language churches in the middle of no-where have rather low attendance rates, but in towns it is a lot better. My church is part of a joint pastorate (2 churches). My church has ~120 adults, and 30-50 children. The other church is a bit smaller, and normally has congregations of 100.

Not so in urban South Wales where most presbyterian chapels are derelict, the few remaining old ladies having removed to the Scout hut next door.

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by oldlccboy:
I agree with Fiddleback re a layman reading the Gospel. It cannot be.

Why ever not? Where has this idea come from? Is it CofE tradition, or is there some passage in the Bible that deals with it?

bb

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Knock me over with an Anglican Missal.

I agree with Fiddleback. Lay readers have no business reading the Gospel.

And as for preaching -- I like a good sermon. And I don't think that one need be in orders to transform oneself into an accomplished homileticist (one need only look at the number of people in orders whose sermons are dreadful to see my point). However, unleashing enthusiastic amateurs into the pulpit vaguely disconcerts me.

With all due respect to the accomplished lay readers who participate here,

HT

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oldlccboy, has it ever occured to you to wonder why God calls people to non-sacramental ministries? It isn't as fill-ins for when a priest-type is too busy garbing up to serve his community.

God provokes people to ministries of the word who having tested their heart do not feel called to the role of priest, or minister of word and sacrament, or whatever we call it. The church recognises this and creates ways of training people and supporting them in such ministries. God does not call priests/ MW-Ses to be all round fab beings whose presence holds up the church in every way. Some priests read the Bible (yes, even the Gospel) out loud badly, some are fantastic at sermons but hopeless at pastoral care, the inverse is often found too. Now, the fact that God doesn't equip priests to act as the whole body, but as an elbow, or a toenail or perhaps a lung, and does give people gifts to act as complimentary parts of the body without a calling to the ministry of the priesthood might suggest that God doesn't hold with a priest-only model.

quote:
The more laypeople are given sacerdotal roles, the less incentive there is for them - or anyone observing them from the pews - to consider Holy Orders as a vocation.

The incentive to become a priest should not be that it is the only thing you can do. I have talked with lay people who feel provoked to offer something to the church but who have prayerfully tested to see if they have a vocation (i.e. a calling to priesthood) and conclude that they don't. Why should we say "tough. then you can't do anything" instead of seeking creative ways of fulling the ministry God calls them too?

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Nobody has yet stated exactly why non ordained people shouldn't read the Gospel at the Mass. I'm unaware of any theological reasons for this (unlike womens ordination for instance).

HT

quote:
However, unleashing enthusiastic amateurs into the pulpit vaguely disconcerts me.

By "amateur" do you mean people who are part time and unpaid who spent three years part time studying Theology, Doctrine, Preaching,Church History and Liturgy? Does this also apply to Non Stipendiary Priests who undergo similar training?

[tidied ubb]

[ 05 September 2001: Message edited by: Hooker's Trick ]

--------------------

clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:

And as for preaching -- I like a good sermon. And I don't think that one need be in orders to transform oneself into an accomplished homileticist (one need only look at the number of people in orders whose sermons are dreadful to see my point). However, unleashing enthusiastic amateurs into the pulpit vaguely disconcerts me.

HT

HT, given that you a) don't think one
has to be a priest to give a cracking sermon and b) don't agree with amateurs doing it (however enthusiastic) then one would assume you would require some sort of training and apprenticeship without the need for ordination - rather like that which lay readers undertake?

I'm not sure I understand the use of your word 'amateur' in this situation.

clare

PS. Am I allowed to read the gospel to myself at home? In a bible study group? I'm with babybear on being completely confused by this prohibition.

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure somebody will let me know!)
The Gospel as it is read during Service by a priest is treated with a certain amount of reverence by the congregation. In some parishes, mine included, the Gospel is processed into the congregation, everybody rises and faces the Gospel, sunflower-to-the-sun fashion. If a lay person (yes, I'm a lector) reads the Gospel, which one may do in the absence of a priest, the congregation remains seated and it is treated as any other reading from Scripture.

Bene

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However, unleashing enthusiastic amateurs into the pulpit vaguely disconcerts me.
HT

I agree. Let's keep these clergy out of the pulpit. Leave it to those with at least degrees in theology, and preferably PhDs.

BB - this is sort of CofE tradition. It has no biblical precedent. Fortunately not in any CofE church I have stepped into.

It is also termed Arrogance, and gets me SO mad.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now you see, I knew when I typed that bit about enthusiastic amateurs people were going to get very cross with me.

Sometimes this comes down to preference. I am a cathedral worshipper by preference. Otherwise I seek out large urban parishes. I am not used to the active ministry of lay people in Eucharistic services.

I am quite certain that in some places the ministry of lay readers, pastoral assistants or lay leaders is not only beneficial but in fact necessary.

However, I am quite certain that the kind and understanding Christians posting here wouldn't want to impose upon me practices in worship that make me uncomfortable.

HT

Yes, clare, of course you can read the Gospel at home. You can also read it during Mattins or Evening prayer in my church.

babybear
# 34

So why not during the Eucharistic services?

When does an enthusiastic amature become a professional lay-person?

bb

PMM
Shipmate
# 1078

- Posted      Profile for PMM         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Four different observations on the thread so far - I'm afraid that they are going to seem dreadfully domestic to non-Anglicans.

1. I've never understood why a Reader (or a priest come to that) who has no role in the liturgy should choose to robe and sit in the chancel. He or she should be in the congregation playing a full part there and not proclaiming his or her status. And a Reader who appears sometimes active in the congregation and sometimes robed and active in the chancel symbolises well his or her calling to an accredited lay ministry which by definition has a foot both sides of the chancel step.

2. The general Notes at the beginning of Common Worship Holy Communion sets out what a ministry of a deacon might include at such a service (including reading the Gospel) and then adds 'The deacon's liturgical ministry provides an appropriate model for the ministry of an assistant priest, a Reader, or another episcopally authorized minister in a leadership ministry that complements that of the president.'.

3. In the Anglican diocese of Lincoln we have authorised Lay Ministers (trained over three years in teams from parishes) a few of whom have been ordained as Ordained Local Ministers, as well as Readers, and ordained Non-Stipendiary Ministers. We've got over 800 trained and authorised ministers of which the paid Vicars and Rectors make up only just over a quarter. Two thirds of our paid Vicars and Rectors are now working alongside at least one person in one of these forms of trained authorised ministry, so the single handed parish priests ploughing solo furrows are now the unusual ones. (To answer the question which began this thread: sometimes a collaborative team like this works well and sometimes there are just the sorts of problems your original post suspected; the most difficult time is often when a new Vicar or Rector is appointed and hasn't been used to working alongside others in the same way.)

4. Contrary to what one earlier post suggested, a significant proportion of our vocations to full-time ordained ministry come from among those who have been engaged in trained and authorised lay ministries, and a number of transfers have happened from Ordained Local Ministry and ordained Non-Stipendiary Ministry to full-time ordained ministry.

--------------------
Untie by love the knot you tied about yourself through fear. (Augustine of Hippo)

Posts: 280 | From: Grimsby | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG
Shipmate
# 8

- Posted      Profile for Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG   Email Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Diocese of New York only a deacon may read the gospel at the Eucharist or, in the absence of a deacon, a priest. I have never been to a parish where a lay person read the gospel at mass except once when the priest had laryngitis (sp?) and no one else was available. It was all the priest could do to get through the prayer of consecration. Obviously, this was an unusual situation and a one-time only sort of thing.

As I understand it, the reason deacons read the gospel at the Eucharist is because that act in symbolic of the deacon's role as a mediator between the church and the world. Deacons are called to bring the church to the world and the world to the church -- to be bridgebuilders of a sort. Proclaiming the gospel and leading the intercessions, and well as doing the biddings, etc., are liturgical signs of this diaconal role. Of course all Christians are called to do this, but it is the particular vocation of the deacon to model this, lead it. In most parishes in the US, deacons are in charge of outreach programs, soup kitchens, drug counseling and referral programs, and activities of this sort.

BTW. Has the diaconate been revived in the C of E as a distinct order, or is it still just a stepping stone to priesthood?

Lay people can preach in this diocese, but they must be trained and licensed, and the testing is rather rigorous before one can be licensed. One test is to preach a prepared sermon in front of the class on the proper for a given day, which is standard enough. Another test is to preach a sermon without notes on 5 minutes notice. That's scary! Along with this are the traditional courses in scriptural exegesis, etc. Most licensed lay preachers I know are better preachers that most priests and deacons.

Chris

Posts: 151 | From: Yonkers, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG:
As I understand it, the reason deacons read the gospel at the Eucharist is because that act in symbolic of the deacon's role as a mediator between the church and the world. Deacons are called to bring the church to the world and the world to the church -- to be bridgebuilders of a sort.
Chris

As indeed are authorised lay ministers. I've got a certificate and licence From the Bishop to prove it

In fact, I see the role of Readers being an even more prominent go-between than Deacons because to many people anybody with a dog collar is a "Vicar".

quote:
BTW. Has the diaconate been revived in the C of E as a distinct order, or is it still just a stepping stone to priesthood?

Still a priests L plate - it was looked upon as a permanent ministry for a while when women could be ordained as Deacons but not Priests and there was discussion at the time among some people about reviving a perpetual diaconate, but now it has gone back to the one year as deacon before priesting.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

I can't remember who gave the example now, but is there a reason given to you why the Readers dress up and sit up front without actually doing anything? (I am minded of James' exhortation of precisely where to tell such people to go and sit....)

--------------------

babybear
# 34

In the Church of Scotland and the Methodist Church there is a Diaconate Order. They normally have a big pastoral role, sometimes with children/student/elderly. It appears that the Diaconate is now increasing. In the Methodist Church the Diaconate Order has the symbols of a jug or bowl of water, and a cloth (for feet washing).

bb

Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Moreover, I regard the increasing tendency in the Roman and Anglican Churches to use readers - be they called layreaders or parish assistants or worship leaders or whatever... - as a thing to be deprecated.

Well, that's one way to kill a church in one easy step...

I am not ordained or a reader. I have regularly preached, led services, you name it in my (large urban C of E parish) church over the last few years.

And before you all get too mad at me there's nothing particularly 'illegal' about this, nothing going on that the Archbishop of Canterbury himself didn't encourage in the 1996 report 'Youth Apart'.

The fact is we need to be a lot more flexible over these things or its the end of the line for most of our churches. We're already in decline, if we don't start using the gifts of all the people in our churches in worship then there's probably not much of a future.

dave

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly enough Portsmouth diocese have a permanent diaconate it was meant to be something that caught on accross the country but it has not.

Apparently in Bristol readers are not allowed to do funerals but in other places it is the norm.

Personally I see no problem with unlicensed people preaching reading the Gospel praying reading the Epistle since I have not been struck down it must be all right. Why should a former Baptist minister in an Anglican church spend three years in training to preach?

We in the Anglican church are so wound up over authorisation training to the extent that it prevents the Gospel being spread.
Anyone can visit some one with a tract and talk about Jesus on the door step but to give out communion you need permission from the Bishop.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the former baptist minister is not me but a friend

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
oldlccboy:
By all means encourage young men to act as acolytes, servers, crucifers, thurifers, boat boys, banner-bearers and masters of ceremony. And young women to act as beautifiers, designers, conservers and cleaners of the Sacred vessels, altar cloths and similar adornments and vestments. May both become involved on vestry, in fund-raising, in prayer and in all aspects of parish life and community service.
I smiled wryly when I read this, as Orthodox baptism came to mind. The baby boy is taken in and shown around the sanctuary to say, 'This is where some day you might be a priest', but the baby girl is left on the step. I'm not sure what the message is for her, possibly, 'This is where you will clean'.

Btw, Perth diocese has a permanent non-stipendiary diaconate.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To go back to the original question, just for a moment, I'm deeply appreciative of the ministry of the Reader in my parish, someone I enjoy working with, and whose wide knowledge and experience, generously and tactfully offered, are a real blessing in my formation.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
oldlccboy
Shipmate
# 1040

- Posted      Profile for oldlccboy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WOW - lots to comment on !

First, of course there may be unusual situations in isolated communities or due to a temporary illness a layperson might of necessity perform an act normally reserved for those in Orders. But this should not go so far as to perform every element of the Mass except the Prayer of Consecration - not when Matins, the Litany and Ante-Communion are all available.

Frin, I tried to give many examples of how laymen and women are called to non-sacramental ministries - both those which adorn worship and those which are essential such as visiting the sick and ministering to the poor. But to arrogate to oneself some right to do more than that - when one isn't ordained - is not only wrong, it is misleading: it blurs the lines between the Ministry of the People and of the Priest, which are distinct, just as in a biological sense are the roles of father and mother. Neither is superior; each is different. How Frin suggests that laypeople doing what laypeople should leave someone who has rejected ordained ministry feeling he has "nothing to do" is beyond me !

The purpose of ordination is, IMHO, two fold: the Church ensures that the person being ordained has been equipped for ministry with the best possible training. (Of course this does not guarantee his possessing a meliflous reading voice, an uplifting sermonic ability, a honed sense of beautiful liturgy or indeed even personal gifts in dealing with the faithful.)

Second, in Ordination the power of the Holy Spirit commissions and hallows this mortal to overcome the defects above-enumerated, to which all humanity is inherenly subject, allowing grace to be "stirred up" in him and human faults to be overcome by Ghostly Strength, one of the gifts of that Spirit.

The example given by PMM in the Diocese of Lincoln resonates with me to the extent that individuals, properly trained, are then ordained vocational deacons or non-stipendiary priests. Those positions - which differ in function but not in substance from the transitional deaconhood or "full-time" ministry of a priest - are greatly to be preferred to allowing readers to function in sacredotal roles. Nor should "convenience" be the issue.

And forgive me, Spike, but the ignorance of individuals who assume anyone in a collar is "Vicar" is not a cogent argument for preferring the Ministry of Reader to that of Permanent Deacon.

Wibblethorpe uses practical arguments: if we don't accept such lay ministries we are dead. That is neither accurate nor is it couched in theological terms. To make just one argument, the Church's witness does not depend on popularity. If the trend of the Church to conform to the world were a guarantee of approval, then attendance and membership in ecclesia anglicana (N America and England) would not have slumped so dramatically.

Nor is Amos convincing with his genuine testimony of the helpfulness of his Parish's Reader to his formation. No one is decrying the sincerity or goodness of the individuals, any more than I doubt the same qualities in female ministers. But personal worthiness (or unworthiness) has nothing whatever to do with how the Church understands the Sacrament of Orders.

Isn't it interesting how many of us have entirely different perceptions of the Church ?

Steve rebukes me by saying that ministry "at the front" "empowers" the ordinary people." But the point of Orders, and indeed of any role in the Church, is not "empowerment." That is the world's language, Steve, the aggressive clamour of civil rights and feminism and right to life and....(am not judging the causes, merely commenting on their diction which of course underlies their political tactics.")

Surely the way a Christian is "empowered" is through the Sacraments, of which Orders is one. Also through prayer, penance and humility. Also through accepting the mind of the Church interpreted by the Scriptures, reason and tradition. It is not "empowering" to dress up in vestments and act as though one were ordained. (It may, to use the world's language, be gratifying to the ego, the senses, the ambition and all sorts of other elements in human nature. Which is the problem !)

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I was trying to reply to many previous posters.

frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have benefitted immensely throughout my life from the services I have attended led by lay preachers. There were many, not because we were short of ministers and had to have them, but because people were very much encouraged to reconise and use the gift of preaching if they had it. We had many lay people during vacancies (periods of reflection between ministers) and continued to have more than some churches when we had minister(s). Some had degrees, some didn't. All gave stimulating services (which was more than could be said for all the local ministers, some of whom were really suited to pastoral things better). I cannot see a value in excluding people from non-stipendiary or non-eucharistic ministries, even in big rich churches.

I am also baffled as to why people sit in the sanctuary who are not taking part in leading that particular service. Even if they do so sincerely, the symbolism of so doing suggests "I am important. Look, I'm up here". WE should avoid suggesting that in our worshipping.

The congregations who take their gospel less seriously when the priest isn't the reader are totally off on the wrong track, IMO. The symbolism of the Gospel procession is, I assume, something about proclaiming the gospel to the world - hence facing the big doors. This is something we are all called to do. We don't get to overlook it if there isn't a priest threatening to throw his hat at us (or somesuch).

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:

Nor is Amos convincing with his genuine testimony of the helpfulness of his Parish's Reader to his formation.

His formation? Is there something you've not been telling us Amos?

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hhhmmm... wasn't amos who was down in all saints as taking a trip to sweden was it?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

# 89

quote:
Nor is Amos convincing with his genuine testimony of the helpfulness of his Parish's Reader to his formation. No one is decrying the sincerity or goodness of the individuals, any more than I doubt the same qualities in female ministers.

Spike beat me to it, but I had to laugh over this.

Since Amos is a lady vicar, oldlccboy presumably applauds her sincerity and goodness but doesn't find her any more efficacious than he does Lay Readers!

HT

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Clears throat) Perhaps oldlccboy's pronouns belong on the Inclusive Language thread

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

You see, old'boy, I'd take you a lot more seriously if the sort of masonic lod- sorry, church you're advocating could be equated with any manifestation of the churches that have existed in history, but either you are very naive or you just haven't bothered doing any historical reading to think so.

This church of yours, if you're claiming it is the historic church tracable to the NT, took on worldly structures - episcopos (over-seer), diakon (servant) - used imperial clothing to clothe its ministers, formulated its services to look like the rituals of court and magistracy and enjoyed all the benefits of mediaeval worldliness. For one ecclesiology to accuse another of being "worldly" smacks of hypocrisy - words such "pot", "calling", "kettle" and "black" spring to mind. I do hope you are not a hypocrite, old'boy - I would be grateful if you could convince me otherwise.

You did indeed list things that the laity could do - the men can do the visible acts while the priests do all the talking, and clearly the women would have to do all their activities outside the church service, because clearly it would be rude to do those things during it. And of course you fail to give any justification for your division of labour. Where do you get this from?

From what you have written (here and elsewhere) it seems you have no respect for the experience of anyone other than those who fit into your little theological framework. You are not God, old'boy, you are not our spiritual guardian. We are not here simply to make up the numbers when your blessed priests are off sick. You may wish to pursuade me otherwise, but at present all I can conclude is that you have contempt for women and the laity. I have been reading through Luke and Acts this week - I do not recognise your vision of Christ's ekklesia, I'm afraid.

You seem to have a strange idea of the qualities of a priest - you seem to think it doesn't matter that s/he has no people skills, cannot conduct decent services and is rubbish at teaching. Given that these appear to be the main public functions of a priest, I'd say that people who aren't very good at this sort of thing are precisely the sort of people you shouldn't be having as priests.

--------------------

Hooker's Trick

# 89

quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig:
and clearly the women would have to do all their activities outside the church service, because clearly it would be rude to do those things during it.

I believe that sorts of things that oldlccboy has in mind are arranging flowers, polishing plate and needlepointing cushions -- all those nice domestic things for use during a service. So in that sense, I suppose, you could say the fruits of this feminine labour are at work in the service.

Now. I find it very odd to be on the same side of a debate with oldlccboy, as in most areas I find his views to be (to put it mildly) reactionary.

But I have a genuine question. If lay people can read the Gospel, read the words of the absolution (presumably swapping "us" your "you"), preside at a Eucharist of the pre-sanctified, stand in the pulpit, provide care and outreach, visit the sick and bury the dead, what does one need a priest for at all?

That sounds flippant but I am serious. Wouldn't it be more economical to just have the bishop sanctify a pile of Host every Saturday, and then the lay readers could collect it that evening and serve it up on Sunday during so many masses of the presanctifieds?

What's the point of having vicars at all?

HT

Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But I have a genuine question. If lay people can read the Gospel, read the words of the absolution (presumably swapping "us" your "you"), preside at a Eucharist of the pre-sanctified, stand in the pulpit, provide care and outreach, visit the sick and bury the dead, what does one need a priest for at all?

Maybe you don't. Now there's a shocking thought.

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

oldlccboy
Shipmate
# 1040

It seems to me you are getting awfully personal and presumptuous in your assumptions, Dyfrig. however, I'll offer that up.

First, I am not your or anyone else's "spiritual guardian." That role is for the Holy Guardian Angels and perhaps a Spiritual Director, in addition to one's conscience. I merely express where my reason and experience have led me, just as you do. But I don't accuse you of attempting to be my spiritual guardian ! Seems a bit of a double standard here.

Second, I am well aware that the early Church took some of its trappings from the culture of the age in which it was born. But it took its faith from Christ, as further revealed and explained and amplified by tradition, reason and experience. That these differing discernments have led you and I to differ in some particulars of the way we see the Ministry is not a sign of weakness or hypocrisy (again, you use frightfully pejorative words) but of the differing perceptions that humans, given the gift of free will, enjoy. That God will in the end judge the right from the wrong, the trivial from the substantial - in our conversation reassures us, and gives us the freedom to continue them, in charity, one would hope, as each of us strives towards Heaven.

How could I have contempt for laity when I am one of them ? I think I have a healthy regard for my own limitations. Perhaps I unfairly impute them to others.

Of course I would wish for the priest to have the skills you mention. But God works through the priest's imperfections, too. And I was merely trying to refer to the Article of Religion which makes the point about the unworthiness of the Minister (surely all of us) not affecting the efficacy of the Minister.

In charity and respect for our separate sincere points of view - LCCOB

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
we've had threads on what do we need priests (or iinisters) for, and truthfully, no ones ever convinced me that we do need 'em. useful, handy people to have, yes. but actually need 'em?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

Thus we come to a problem when Charism's (gifts of God) are put into theological straight jackets. We find they do not fit.
No ecclesiology is perfect fortunately it is constantly evolving and changing.

The church has developed a faulty theology of the sacred and the secular in church everyone has there proper place moving in the right place bowing in the right place in church. It can only be built on a theology of maintenance keeping things in there right place as it always has been done. I suppose we have to thank Cyprian for this or not as the case may be.

Outside where the Gospel is spread anyone can do anything. Some one does not need bishops permission to tell some one about Jesus but would do so to to give them communion. To lead a bible study no permission to do so to read the bible in church they would.

I found myself in hospital the other week chatting to one of the chaplain's and I almost signed up to become a hospital visitor no need for Bishops permission or anything the chaplain though I was a good egg all I needed was approval from the Hospital.

HT why does the Bishop have to bless the bread and wine? surely it should be the leader of the local church community what ever title they happen to have

--------------------

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still new around here so I may be completely out of order on this - please tell me if I am:

Oldcc: one problem I think Dyfrig may have been alluding to is that you do not seem interested in discussion. A lot of the posts I have seen have been along the lines of "this and this should be so" with no argument. So you think as female I should stick to flower arranging rather than thurifing? Well, I disagree with you, and we could have an interesting discussion were you presenting your ideas in an "I think... and the reasons are..." format. As it is, they tend to be presented as "this is the case - ko amere Adonai", which does not open up discussion and leads me at least to find the post mildly ridiculous and not worth engaging with. I am not saying change your thoughts, but to present them in a way that treats people who think differently from you with respect rather than what can come across as arrogant contempt. This is something I myself have had to learn, and still catch myself acting as if my opinion were the yardstick of truth: I find opening my ideas up to discussion can be very unsettling, but in the end is infinitely more rewarding.

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Do excuse my lack of charity, old'boy - I am the first to admit that I am very bad at expressing my opinions with vehemence verging on the hectoring.

But are you being as charitable as you claim? Is it truly charitable to tolerate women and lay ministry on the grounds of necessity? Isn't this damning with faint praise? Is it not simply another way of saying, "Well, they'll do - in the absence of a male priest", as if they were less than the image of God, less capable than an ordained man?

Equally, have you noticed the way you assigned the roles between men and women - men the significant, visible roles, women the menial tasks (cleaning, knitting, washing). Is that charity? How is it charitable to force a talented, God-inspired preacher who happens to be a woman to arrange the flowers? How is charitable to a congregation to impose on them as, say, a Deacon, a fool and a bigot, just because he happens to have a penis? We will not agree on these things, I know, but I am curious as to why you hold the beliefs you do.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016