homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Perception and Prejudice (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Perception and Prejudice
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over in the "Should Christians be concerned about the environment" thread in Purgatory, Groucho seems to have a bug up his ass about the US. Setting aside the whole Kyoto argument for a moment, I'm inviting some commentary about other things he said. Particularly the "logic" behind this:

quote:
But it is a fact that the general perception over this side of the Atlantic that America doesn't have too much time for environmental concerns. This is because all we ever hear is that the US objects to anything proposed and never seems to come up with any alternatives.

You may not like it - but this is how things are seen generally here. In other words - Americans are going to have to work a bit harder to overcome this perception and prove that they take the environment as seriously as Europeans (as a whole - wide generalisation) do.

What I want to know:
  • Since when is it an unfairly-maligned group's responsibility to rid you of your prejudice?
  • Is it not incumbent upon you, the one who makes the assumption, to get your facts straight FIRST?
  • If not, why not?
I, for one, am sick of the "well, I think you're [insert inflammatory remark here] and it's up to you to prove that you’re not. You may not like it, but that's how it is."
What is the appropriate Christian attitude here?

[ 10. March 2003, 02:10: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Erin,

Well, the appropriate Christian response is to grit your teeth and forgive him... but since this is Hell, you could go for the Old Testament solution of smiting him with the jawbone of an ass.

If someone is determined to misunderstand and/or misrepresent you or a group you belong to, there's not much you can do about it (beyond the momentary satisfaction gained by dunking him in a vat of tabasco sauce). It's his problem. So you might want to challenge his statements for the sake of any third parties who might be misled by them, but try not to get annoyed when you don't get through to him.

Jane R, trying to sound Hellish and not succeding...

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveWal
Shipmate
# 307

- Posted      Profile for SteveWal   Email SteveWal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminds me of an old old joke:

Why does everybody take an instant dislike to me?

It saves time...

I personally like a lot of American things. I would be nothing as a writer without the example of a host of American poets. I love the music of Coltrane/Parker/Miles Davies etc. America has a breadth of vision in its arts that is barely touched on in England. Its greatest movies are better than anything produced anywhere else.

But its foreign policy - on the whole - stinks. Its environmental position on Kyoto stinks. The fact that Congress wouldn't have ratified it says it all really. It also officially sanctions the murder of its own people, and calls it execution. So in many ways, it isn't a good place.

Nevertheless, I join you in praising the things that America is good at: movies, jazz, Abstract Expressionist art. Oh yeah, and don't forget the greatest American of them all: Duke Ellington.

--------------------
If they give you lined paper to write on, write across the lines. (Russian anarchist saying)

Posts: 208 | From: Manchester | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
originally posted by SteveWal:
quote:
the things that America is good at: movies, jazz, Abstract Expressionist art

Good at jazz? It's like saying 'good at dragging your fingernails down the blackboard..'

American movies seem to be too violent, too foul-mouthed and too numerous. Unfortunately, British ones have very nearly caught up with regard to the first two aspects.

I visited the USA (Florida specifically) for the first, and hopefully last, time earlier this year. So my views on it are no longer simply a product of what the media has presented me with.

Over-use of the motor car is something the UK could be accused of, but it has nothing, IMO, on the USA. And Americans must have thought 'Why build two-lane roads when we can have SIX or EIGHT'?

The USA once had a good, comprehensive passenger rail network, but it allowed it to be largely destroyed much more than did Britain (and Britain was worse in this regard than France or Germany). So Americans mainly use the plane for long-distance travel and the car for everything else. The two most polluting forms of transport - giving a huge contribution to global warming. Why have the French and Germans developed excellent high-speed trains like the TGV and the USA has nothing equivalent?

I coud give other reasons as well as these why I think the USA is indeed the 'bad boy' of the developed world when it comes to environmental issues.

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, excuse me, how about we all read for comprehension, please? I'm not interested in whether or not you like the US – truth be told, I don't really give a rat's ass. What I am interested in is whether or not it’s acceptable to force someone else to disprove your own personal perceptions, regardless of what group they're in.

Kudos to Jane for paying attention. Perhaps the subsequent contributors can master this skill as well?

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK let's defend Americans

First collectively they are doing nothing different from what the 19th century british did. I bet if there had been an international environmental agreement then the British government and parliament would not have ratified it.

Secondly as the richest and most powerful nation around at the moment they suffer from the jealousy of other nations and so suffer a lot of finger pointing.

Thirdly due to the openness of their society and the international spread of their news media their dirty linen is washed in public more conspicously than anyone else's.

I was in Florida earlier this year and one member of the party I was in had his anti-american attitudes dispelled before we had even left the airport - on his own admission. (I doubt that many Americans realise that your immigration and customs officals are that nice!)

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes Erin, but lots of threads digress down interesting tangents.

On the matter of US public transport, during my recent visit I was led to believe that historically there were good train and bus services. But then in many cases bus companies, and in most of New England, passenger train companies, were sold by the state to Oil companies who promptly closed them down to increase the market for petrol ("gas"). There is now some recognition of the benefits of public transport, and passenger rail services now exist in Massachussets. A long-promised oft-delayed service from Boston (Mass)to Portland (Maine) should recommence shortly.

There is much concern in the USA of rising gas prices, with fears of the 2 dollar gallon!!! (In UK speak, that's about 1 pound 60 pence for about 4 litres; a US gallon is a bit less than a UK gallon).

The economics of public transport provision are different in a sparsely populated country, and parts of the USA are very sparsely populated; other parts are densely populated.

The passenger rail services which we used were very good indeed, (clean, on time, well signposted and timetabled, easy to get tickets, several staff on board and no yobs)as were the long distance coach services (Greyhound etc).

However local bus services, where they exist, are regarded as "mainly for blacks, beggars and Mexicans". Our hosts in Northern California couldn't understand us wanting to use a bus, and didn't know of their nearest bus stop which we found 150 yards from their home. They never walked the district, though it was a pleasant enough area. Indeed they were mystified that we should want to walk anywhere; even in a State Forestry Park with marked walking trails they thought 400 yards was enough of an adventure. They did however have a collection of huge gas-guzzling cars.

Enough of me on transport; perhaps people want to go back to Erin's subject!

Pt

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It also officially sanctions the murder of its own people, and calls it execution. So in many ways, it isn't a good place.

"It" does no such thing. "It" leaves to the states, whose citizens vote for legislators who determine whether that state shall have a death penalty. Many states do not. In fact, on the whole, "It" is not a monolith,
any more than the UK is.

--Tangent-- (don't worry, I shall return)

Now, I don't support the death penalty, but it is democratically supported in the states that have one. Several recent studies have show that the majority of UK citizens and those in several European countries support the death penalty -- (where did you go, Chris Bishop?) which was noted the last time this debate came up. So the reason many European countries don't have one is that they are less democratic -- so I guess it depends on what you value.

Personally, I think such a penalty is unreliable -- that is, we can never be certain that an innocent person won't occasionally be put to death -- and that's my eternal objection to it. There's no doubt in my mind that it is an appropriate punishment for some, but I don't believe earthly authorities' capability of meting it out justly.

-- End Tangent

Returning to the debate, I think people need to be awfully careful about criticising a whole f'ing country for the acts of a moron who wasn't even properly elected. I didn't go 'round the UK during the time I lived in the West Midlands demanding an explataion from each citizen about why the UK was so bad because of Thatcher's policies. I didn't say, "well, Britain doesn't give a crap about it's poor people" whom I saw begging in the streets. And I certainly expect the same courtesy of others.

Why isn't everyone bashing France for continuing to support and trade with its former possessions in Africa, many headed by tin-pot dictators destroying their countries? Isn't this state-sponsored murder? It all depends upon how you look at it?

[edited to fix code -- how embarrassing]

[ 26 July 2001: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me try to respond to the OP.

I think there is a responsibility of people, organisations and even countries to be concerned about, and manage, their image - i.e. the perception that others have of them. So I have a degree of sympathy with Groucho's gripe. I think the perception that people have of the US is largely the responsibility of the US, as the perception people have of the UK is largely the responsibility of the UK, and the perception that people have of Microsoft is largely the responsibility of Microsoft.

BUT ( Before I get royally grilled ), there is also a responsibilty of people who publicise their perceptions to be sure they are valid perceptions. What does that mean?that they are based on facts and information, rather than blind prejudice. That is where the problem seems to lie, because all information we recieve is prejudiced. Our responsibility is to express what we believe to be the truth.

So Erin - yes people should get your facts straight first. But when the facts are acurate, it is the responsibilty of maligned groups to manage their image.

Where would the spin doctors, advertising agencies and other parasites of the world be if it wasn't?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

After three goddamned years only the names have changed. The story remains exactly the same.

Screw it, I've put in my time.

Signed,

the Florida chick who is no longer banging her head against this wall

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ptarmagin:

quote:
However local bus services, where they exist, are regarded as
"mainly for blacks, beggars and Mexicans".

come to new york city next time. i asure you that here mass transit is for everyone.

(however, i am not disputing that what you say is true for large areas of the country. indeed, since i don't drive, its one of the things that i'm most happy with nyc about, and one reason i'll probably never leave.)

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1/ generalisations suck

2/ never take at face value what "they" are telling you.

3/ the whole capatialist regieme is going to hell in a hand basket.

4/it ill behooves anyone of the car-driving, supermarket/mall shopping , more worried about pizza huts new pepperoni pizza than fair traded chocolate selfish muppets we all stand in danger of becomeing to critisice some other muppets because we think they are ( marginally)worse than us.

5/ oh my look at this plank in my eye

6/ look for the good,the beautiful and the truthful its there somewhere.

Pyx_e in a reflective mood

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin wrote:

quote:

What I want to know:

* Since when is it an unfairly-maligned group's responsibility to rid you of your prejudice?

Well, by definition, prejudice is pre-judging before "judice" happens. So, it's probably impossible for the maligned to change people's perceptions. Hence all the stupid whinging on this thread, as well as the tendency for this thread to turn into yet another British/American flame war. "Be there, done that, bought the t-shirt, got the tattoo."

quote:
* Is it not incumbent upon you, the one who makes the assumption, to get your facts straight FIRST?

Well, that would ruin all the fun, wouldn't it, of lumping everybody in a nation into one camp, then demonizing the camp....

Shoot, if we stopped doing that, pretty soon we wouldn't have no whippin' boy; then what would we do when we got pissed off?

Behave like grown-ups? Who? Moi?

tomb

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
ptarmagin:

come to new york city next time. i asure you that here mass transit is for everyone.

I stand corrected Nicole; I was over-generalising based on experience mainly of California and New England. Very glad to hear that New York has good public transit. Perhaps my next visit to the USA should include New York.

Pt

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ptarmagan, note please, i say new york city... sadly the transportation in the rest of the state is about the same as what you've already met with.

but here in the city, we all ride the busses and subways... its the great equalizer.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wulfstan
Shipmate
# 558

- Posted      Profile for Wulfstan   Email Wulfstan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I want to know:

Since when is it an unfairly-maligned group's responsibility to rid you of your prejudice?
Is it not incumbent upon you, the one who makes the assumption, to get your facts straight FIRST?
If not, why not

1: You say a group is unfairly maligned. Surely that is open to debate. If you don't want to debate with them about why they feel that way, the only alternative is brute force.
2: YOU may not think that they've not got their facts straight, but they might feel differently.
Bluntly you always seem to take umbrage if people don't come up with responses you like and huff off saying we're all saying the same tired old guff you've seen a million times before. What are you some kind of misanthropic postmodernist? Come down off the mountain and talk to us plebs! We won't know we're wrong all the time unless we've got you to tell us

[fixed UBB code]

[ 25 July 2001: Message edited by: tomb ]

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wulfstan:

Bluntly you always seem to take umbrage if people don't come up with responses you like and huff off saying we're all saying the same tired old guff you've seen a million times before. What are you some kind of misanthropic postmodernist? Come down off the mountain and talk to us plebs! We won't know we're wrong all the time unless we've got you to tell us

Ooooohh! tomb blanches and hurries to hide under his polished-designer-paving-stone-cum-rock. But he peeps out to watch the fun. Also to check to see if there are any pieces of Wulfstan left when Erin gets through with him. tomb got this really nifty cookbook Creative canapees and he's always on the lookout for unpromising bits to experiment on.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Groucho
Shipmate
# 279

- Posted      Profile for Groucho   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Erin,

I promised myself that I would drop it all, but I find I can't.

"Since when is it an unfairly-maligned group's responsibility to rid you of your prejudice?"

You've assumed I am prejudiced. Just because I don't see things the same way as you, that don't make me "prejudiced". I don't think all Americans are (insert own insult). I just think that American policy on the environment sucks in a major way and that there is too much self-justification and too little explanation. That is opinion - not prejudice.

It is simply a fact of life that the US administration will find it much easier to get other countries on their side if they bothered to handle the increasingly negative press they are getting outside their borders.

I'm not creating or perpetuating the bad perceptions - just pointing out that they exist.

"Is it not incumbent upon you, the one who makes the assumption, to get your facts straight FIRST"

Ok - prove me wrong. Show me where the American alternative proposals to Kyoto are. Where can I read them and correct my mistaken impressions?

That's enough anyway - I'm about to head out of town for the best part of two months. So any lack of response from here on in will not be because I'm sulking or giving in or anything else - just that I'm not around.

--------------------
"These are my principles.
If you don't like them, I have others."

Posts: 111 | From: Halifax | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

WTF...?

What part of "Setting aside the whole Kyoto argument for a moment, I'm inviting some commentary about other things he said" do you people not understand? For those of you with reading comprehension disabilities: I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT whether or not the US ratified Kyoto. I'm talking about the crap logic inherent in the statements "this is how it looks, and you have to prove it wrong".

Save the Kyoto bitching and US bashing for the George Bush thread, or I'll close and delete this one. I want to explore THIS particular issue. I want to know WHY someone has to prove to you that they're not the evil monster you think they are when you don't even KNOW them?

--------------------

rewboss
Shipmate
# 566

- Posted      Profile for rewboss   Author's homepage   Email rewboss   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In an ideal world, you wouldn't have to. But this isn't an ideal world.

The problem with the US is that it's so big and powerful that the rest of the world think of it as the playground bully. The US sees itself as the defender of democracy. The rest of the world sees the US as a big monster spoiling for a fight and getting involved in everybody else's little squabbles. The US is seen as the cultural, political and military equivalent of Microsoft.

In a sense, Erin, you're right: it shouldn't be up to you (or the US as a whole) to put people's perceptions right. But people's perceptions are hard to shift: the number of people I know who think the Chinese government goes around killing children for fun is incredible. One even asked me what I thought about "innocent little orphan girls being torn from their mothers' arms".

So it shouldn't be up to you. Unfortunately, it is.

--------------------
The latest from the world of rewboss

Posts: 1334 | From: Lower Franconia, Germany | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
kennedy
Apprentice
# 90

- Posted      Profile for kennedy   Email kennedy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I am interested in is whether or not it’s acceptable to force someone else to disprove your own personal perceptions, regardless of what group they're in.

Acceptability may hinge on the meaning of "force".
A reader may feel obliged to reply (to thoughtless prejudicial generalisations) on the grounds that she is offended, or that she is an administrator. But "forced"?
Your question is loaded for a negative answer. No, it is not acceptable to force someone else to disprove (my) personal perceptions.
But surely it is acceptable to publish those perceptions, here in Hell, for general comment and criticism. What's the problem?
Yes, we know you've fought this battle before but with hundreds of new members coming on board every month, it's no surprise that the old prejudices will float up to the surface like bloated corpses.

--------------------
A Fool and his words are soon parted; a man of genius and his money. (Shenstone)

Posts: 44 | From: Basildon Essex UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

This is what I'm talking about:
quote:
In other words - ***** are going to have to work a bit harder to overcome this perception...
[group blanked out to avoid any rehashing of that unnecessary tangent]

I'll give you a different example: I am part Cherokee. The traditional perception of all redskins: savage alcoholic. Do I have to work harder than someone without this heritage to prove that I am not, in fact, a savage alcoholic?

Addendum: this was published in Purgatory, where the burden of proof is greater.

[ 25 July 2001: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin's last post disturbingly reminded me of early days of women moving into male-dominated areas - women had to be much better than men at whatever they were doing to be considered as good.

"In other words - ***** are going to have to work a bit harder to overcome this perception..."

Why should ***** have to? I think all we (who think it is an unjust concept) can do is call people out when they make these statements

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I want to know WHY someone has to prove to you that they're not the evil monster you think they are when you don't even KNOW them?

I think you answered your own question. Because of not knowing.

Here's a story. When I was a lad, my grandmother told me that Roman Catholics worshipped the Virgin Mary (not God) and said all their services in a dead language no one understood (Latin). I had never met any RCs til I was at Uni. The only thing I knew about RCs aside from what my grandmother told me was a scene in the Sound of Music (which I've only seen once so forgive if me if I get it wrong) with nuns singing through a grille.

Now if I came to the boards with only that information, I would of course make assumptions that are not accurate about RCs (how could it be otherwise when I don't know any?). So yes, the burden is then placed upon the Romans of my initial (or subsequent) acquaintance to disabuse me of my false notions.

I think that's what's going on here.

Now what would be really annoying is if some Romans said "hey -- we're not like that at all" and I turned around and said "Oh yes you must be I know so from out-dated information and a scene in a bad film".

HT

Believe me, nothing annoys me more than when someone makes sweeping assumptions to the effect that the UK is an upper-middle-class costume drama full of polite people drinking tea in the sunshine -- or on the other hand that the US Government is a vast conspiracy against whatever passionately-held political agenda is under discussion.

But it's easier to make sweeping assumptions than actually engage with individual personalities or arguments.

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
Here's a story. When I was a lad, my grandmother told me that Roman Catholics worshipped the Virgin Mary (not God) and said all their services in a dead language no one understood (Latin). I had never met any RCs til I was at Uni. The only thing I knew about RCs aside from what my grandmother told me was a scene in the Sound of Music (which I've only seen once so forgive if me if I get it wrong) with nuns singing through a grille.

Now if I came to the boards with only that information, I would of course make assumptions that are not accurate about RCs (how could it be otherwise when I don't know any?). So yes, the burden is then placed upon the Romans of my initial (or subsequent) acquaintance to disabuse me of my false notions.

I think, though, that at some point you (general you, not HT!) should realize that if you're getting all your information about a group of people from one source, and that source is not a member of the group, you can't be very sure of the truth of that info.

quote:

But it's easier to make sweeping assumptions than actually engage with individual personalities or arguments.

Exactly. There are, what, 270? 280? million of us. Though it's possible to make some cultural assumptions (keeping in mind of course that lots of Americans don't see themselves as part of mainstream American culture), we can't possibly all be thinking the same thing about anything.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'll give you a different example: I am part Cherokee. The traditional perception of all redskins: savage alcoholic. Do I have to work harder than someone without this heritage to prove that I am not, in fact, a savage alcoholic?

I know that you are not going to like this answer, but "Yes". I don't like it either.

Humans are pidgeon-hole-ers, we try to make little boxes so that we can file people, and and use our filing system to try to predict possible interactions and outcomes. It is only when people become friends that we can allow them to get out of their little box and become real. When people are our 'enemies' we make them into huge, ugly characture of themselves. One which does not have to contain any truth.

Stereotypes help us function in the world, they help make life more predictable. But we need to be constantly challenging our assumptions and our 'types'. And also realising that while a stereotype can give an approximation of a group of people, it is woefully crap when refering to an individual.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

I don't agree that we all automatically stereotype everyone. I certainly don't. Or, I didn't. I don't know if I should post this, but what the hell. I'm going to turn the tables for a moment.

Over the past three years, every time we get an influx of UK contributors, we have to combat the same arguments over and over and over again. Like I said yesterday, only the names change.

At this point, because it's happened so many times with so many people, am I justified in saying to each UK contributor: the perception I have is that you are illogically anti-American, and you have to prove to me that you're not?

[ 26 July 2001: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From way back in the OP,
quote:
What is the appropriate Christian attitude here?

To avoid the specific issues which are far to often raised here, I'll not mention them at all.

How about humility? As in "I've been told that group X believe Y and Z, is this correct?" rather than a blunt "Group X believe Y and Z". When people within group X strongly disagree with Y and Z the second is more than likely to generate an angry response. Unless you are absolutely certain about your sources (like you know half of group X personally) assume the information you have is wrong. It is even worse when instead of "believe" you use "are".

Then add in "treat others like you'd want them to treat you" (loose paraphrase, but I'm sure you know who said that). How would you feel as a member of group X if you're position was totally misrepresented as a fact that you believe Y or Z when you totally do not? The 10C's for this site suggest you replace "group X" with the name of an individual you know in that group and see if it still seems OK, this is a similar way of looking at the same thing.

And finally (for now) when it comes to Christian attitudes at the top of the list must surely be love. How can dismissing the views of a group of people without thinking about how that group will feel be considered loving?

Alan

(now sorry if that was more Purgatorial than Hellish, but that is where I usually hang out)

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, let's go back to the OP

quote:

What I want to know:
  • Since when is it an unfairly-maligned group's responsibility to rid you of your prejudice?
  • Is it not incumbent upon you, the one who makes the assumption, to get your facts straight FIRST?
  • If not, why not?

Prejudice is "he's a (insert group here) and therefore he's a (insert perjorative)"

What we actually have here is "he's just done (or said) X therefore he's a (insert perjorative)"

When a group is maligned for doing or saying something which can clearly be taken as meaning something that is considered bad then it is their responsibility to justify themselves to the rest of the world. If only to prove to the rest of the world that they care about how they are perceived.

Let's go to our own 10Cs, if I post something that presents me as having certain views I do not expect everyone else to say "oh he's a nice boy really, he can't have meant that" I expect to be challenged and if I am misrepresented then it is up to me to correct that.

In the case of the current US administration thay are doing things that lead the rest of the world to see them in a certain way and that they must know will cause them to be seen that way. It is not up to the rest of the world to dig around to find out all the facts, the US administration has been challenged, if the preceptions are wrong, the US must prove it!

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Oh for God's sake. What I quoted in the OP wasn't that the US ADMINISTRATION had to prove itself, it was that AMERICANS had to prove themselves. Technically, the majority did NOT elect Bush (though it WAS legal), so where the hell you people come off with MY having to prove something because of a man I did not vote for is beyond me.

Is this really that goddamn difficult to understand?

[ 26 July 2001: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
How about humility? As in "I've been told that group X believe Y and Z, is this correct?" rather than a blunt "Group X believe Y and Z". When people within group X strongly disagree with Y and Z the second is more than likely to generate an angry response. Unless you are absolutely certain about your sources (like you know half of group X personally) assume the information you have is wrong. It is even worse when instead of "believe" you use "are".

Alan, I greatly appreciate your common sense.
One source of the problem is that journalists who write about foreign countries frequently don't know what they're talking about. (For that matter journalists who write about their own country frequently don't know what they're talking about, but that's a separate issue.)

If an American newspaper publishes something untrue about Britain, or a British newspaper publishes something untrue about America, most readers will believe the untruth. They have no other source of information.

I suggest that instead of forming strong opinions ahout other countries on the basis of what your newspapers publish, you ask some people of that country to describe the situation to you.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Apologies for the intemperate nature of my last post, but this exact thing has always bugged the living shit out of me. Americans does NOT equal the Bush Administration, just like it did not equal the Clinton Administration, or the Reagan Administration, or the Nixon Administration. If you want to talk sheer numbers, fewer than 25% of eligible voters actually cast a ballot for Bush. My having to prove my commitment to certain causes in light of the Bush Administration's policies is just plain stupid. It's like me holding each of you responsible for the problems in the Thatcher or Blair governments. You’d think that was pretty damn dumb and rather offensive, wouldn't you?

So this is the deal: if you are unable to differentiate between an administration and a citizen, the problem is yours, not mine, and you need a far more in depth lesson in American civics than can be provided via this bulletin board.

Now, back to the original POINT: I detest labels. I detest stereotypes. I don't do it, and I rail against it when it is done to me. The question I am interested in is: is it appropriate to insist on our dependence on stereotypes even when they are shown, time and again, to be grossly inaccurate?

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
is it appropriate to insist on our dependence on stereotypes even when they are shown, time and again, to be grossly inaccurate?

No.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveWal
Shipmate
# 307

- Posted      Profile for SteveWal   Email SteveWal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say that the people who dismiss all Americans as tarred by the same brush as Bush are doing a great disservice to Americans.

Sure, there are dingbats and crazies over there; but there are dingbats and crazies over here (wherever here is) and we probably have some pretty crazy ideas ourselves at times. I mean, who thought up the idea of shoving lots of poor people into tower blocks?

I'm hoping to visit America this year: New York, in fact, where all my favourite poets come from, not to mention Woody Allen and Jackson Pollack.

Still, the Bush administration are still a bunch of stinkers, and MacDonald's burgers still taste like regurgitated cardboard. On the other hand, Ben & Jerry's rocks, and where would we be without Talking Heads, Miles Davis, and the Five Blind Boys From Kentucky?

Oh yeah, and let's not forget Frazier and ER.

All the Americans I've ever met have been really lovely people: a few Quakers, a couple of poets (I never realised Americans could be shy until I met John Ashbery.)

I think we have a perfect right to attack the American government for being a bunch of assholes. And large American corporations like MIcrosoft too (though what's the difference between them, say, and Railtrack apart from size? They're all capitalists.)

But we don't have the right to attack a whole people. Mind you, we'll stop make snide remarks about Americans if they make an Englishman (or woman) captain of the Enterprise...

--------------------
If they give you lined paper to write on, write across the lines. (Russian anarchist saying)

Posts: 208 | From: Manchester | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I know that I personally try very hard to distinguish between a country's citizens and its administration. Unfortunately in writing to these boards there tends to be a shorthand adopted in that when I refer to "the US" I am probably referring to the administration and when I refer to "Americans" I probably mean US citizens (with apologies to those people who regard themselves as Americans but are not part of the US). So what was the OP quote:

quote:

But it is a fact that the general perception over this side of the Atlantic that America doesn't have too much time for environmental concerns. This is because all we ever hear is that the US objects to anything proposed and never seems to come up with any alternatives.

You may not like it - but this is how things are seen generally here. In other words - Americans are going to have to work a bit harder to overcome this perception and prove that they take the environment as seriously as Europeans (as a whole - wide generalisation) do.

Using my shorthand, the first paragraph seems to refer to the administration and the second to US citizens.

So what Groucho is saying, inter alia, is that US citizens are going to have to work hard not to be tarred with the brush that their administration is using for itself.

Like it or not, that is unfortunately true. By now the majority of brits (not those on these boards as we are constantly reminded of the facts) have forgotten how close the US election was and the UK popular press choses to ignore it. The papers don't say "US administration does X but most of its citizens don't agree" but they say "America does X". It then does become incumbent upon those US citizens who disagree to shout loudly and firmly "this administration are a bunch of assholes" because if they don't the rest of us will assume that they agree with what is being done in their name.

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

My last post crossed with SteveWal's, interesting that we used the same metaphors!

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

CharlottePlatz
Shipmate
# 695

- Posted      Profile for CharlottePlatz         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
WTF...?Save the Kyoto bitching and US bashing for the George Bush thread, or I'll close and delete this one. I want to explore THIS particular issue. I want to know WHY someone has to prove to you that they're not the evil monster you think they are when you don't even KNOW them?

Oh dear, I am no doubt going to get really screamed at for saying this...but (gulp), I'm going to say it anyway....

I think the above statement from Erin is unfair. Lots of threads go off on tangents all the time, thats actually half the fun of them. To say that you are going to close a thread down (gulp, gulp) just cause you have the power to do so, just because people are not talking the way YOU want them to....hhhmmm, well, sorry, but I think thats rather unfair.

Posts: 346 | From: NW London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CharlottePlatz - obviously you have found that the Fight, Fight thread is not rough enough for you, and have decided to pick a serious fight.

Well, that's the last we'll see of you then. Except for a small pile of radioactive ash.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, tomb! Room for one more under the rock?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CharlottePlatz
Shipmate
# 695

- Posted      Profile for CharlottePlatz         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No no, I dont want to pick a serious fight! Wasn't even aware that I was doing so here!
Uhm, I was just reading that and it just hit me as a bit unfair. Apparently, I've committed some serious faux pas or something????

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got to watch. Feel like those guys peering over the edge of the trench during those 50s bomb tests....

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve_R:
It then does become incumbent upon those US citizens who disagree to shout loudly and firmly "this administration are a bunch of assholes" because if they don't the rest of us will assume that they agree with what is being done in their name.

Ok. But in the US the verb agrees with the subject, not the object, in this kind of a sentence ...

This administration is a bunch of assholes. Except for Colin Powell.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Oh my gawd I am laughing like a hyena here. All the men are running and hiding. And they call women the weaker sex.

*snort*

Charlotte: we have a board policy which allows for us to close threads at the request of the OP most of the time. I am the OP, and I can go through the whole process of publicly asking myself to close the thread and then publicly saying "self: no problem" but that would be rather bizarre. If it were a matter of a discussion evolving into a different discussion, it'd be one thing. But it's not. It was hijacked from the third post into a discussion of why the US is the Worst Thing in the World Ever, something I specifically requested NOT to happen, and threatened to degenerate into Round 324629 of the US/UK flamefest. Since I'm not really interested in cleaning up the fallout from that, I'll just close the damn thing if I have to.

--------------------

CharlottePlatz
Shipmate
# 695

quote:
Oh my gawd I am laughing like a hyena here. All the men are running and hiding. And they call women the weaker sex.

*snort*

Charlotte: we have a board policy which allows for us to close threads at the request of the OP most of the time. I am the OP, and I can go through the whole process of publicly asking myself to close the thread and then publicly saying "self: no problem" but that would be rather bizarre. If it were a matter of a discussion evolving into a different discussion, it'd be one thing. But it's not. It was hijacked from the third post into a discussion of why the US is the Worst Thing in the World Ever, something I specifically requested NOT to happen, and threatened to degenerate into Round 324629 of the US/UK flamefest. Since I'm not really interested in cleaning up the fallout from that, I'll just close the damn thing if I have to.

Ok, hmmm, well judging by the way everyone was ducking, you would have thought you were a monster or some'at! Is there something I should know?

I do no wish to derail your thread any more than has already been done so - but I'm sure you know that many of us would like the luxury of closing a thread when it doesnt go to our liking. Its nice that you have the power to do so but I do feel its not something appropriate to throw around as a threat.

Having said that, as you say, you is de boss so you can do what you feel you want to.
Anyway, I've jumped in, sufficiently de-railed things and I apologise. I'm back off to 'fight fight!!'

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just checking in. I'm an American (happy to be that way) and didn't vote for Bush (happy also to be that way) and don't approve of many (perhaps most) of his public policy.

That said, people HAVE TO think in categories ("thinking in categories" being longhand for "thinking") -- so when does a category cease to be a category and become an evil "label" or hyperevil "stereotype"?

foolish and sinful,
Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
when does a category cease to be a category and become an evil "label" or hyperevil "stereotype"?

the problem arises when you make a statement that may be true of a narrowly defined group, but apply it to a broader group. The larger the group the less valuable any categorising would be. By the time you reach a group the size of Americans about the only thing I could say that would be true of all of the people in that group is that they are human beings.

Alan

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No argument there.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

gbuchanan
Shipmate
# 415

- Posted      Profile for gbuchanan   Email gbuchanan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, well. Oh dear.

Erm - if No insert nationality of choice citizens voiced opposition to something would it then be unfair to suggest that the majority supported it? Or should we poll everyone individually - then any "generalisation" would be false unless absolutely 100% approved.

I can give many examples of crap and uniformed viewpoints.

For instance, according to Gallup, the majority of U.S. citizens support the I.R.A.. To whom is that fact unfair and prejudicial? Whose responsibility is it?

The majority of U.K. citizens think that the E.U. banned curved cucumbers - utter hogwash, but they treat it as fact. Again, who should do what about it?

For me, both these are unpalatable bits of prejudice, but when the majority share that view, well I'd better do something about it. Albeit in my small way.

If I described Brits as overall being hostile to Europe, is that prejudice, or fact?

FWIW; America has a very mixed record on the environment - the big oil companies are clearly not a good example of the positive - but European types would do well to look at the percentage of U.S. territory reserved as National Parks - well in excess as a percentage and total area to that in Europe. The environment is not one issue (though fuel consumption is a critical one).

Posts: 683 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
gandalf35
Shipmate
# 934

- Posted      Profile for gandalf35   Email gandalf35   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'll give you a different example: I am part Cherokee. The traditional perception of all redskins: savage alcoholic. Do I have to work harder than someone without this heritage to prove that I am not, in fact, a savage alcoholic]

Yeah, but everyone in America is Cherokee

--------------------
Life is like a bowl of cherries... Mmmm cherries...

Posts: 185 | From: If hell exists, I live there. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
everyone in America is Cherokee

Bite your tongue. I'm Blackfoot (in part, anyway).

Sheesh. Next he'll be saying we all eat at McDonald's and drive SUV's.

Alex

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016