homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Consecration Will Include Objections (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Consecration Will Include Objections
Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It It looks like NH is planning for an orderly consecration and an orderly protest. Of course, Fred Phelps will be on hand to try to blow all of that to hell- but there are going to be counterprotesters to counter him. And poliece.

[ 08. January 2006, 21:58: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sacristy Rat
Shipmate
# 5034

- Posted      Profile for Sacristy Rat   Email Sacristy Rat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The consecration rite in the Book of Occasional Services provides a place where those who object to what is happening may speak, and conservatives have been using this portion of the ceremony in order to air their views lately. I believe that during the recent consecration of the new bishop of Colorado there was an objection by the Rev. Ephraim Radner, who had himself been a candidate for that position, on the grounds that the new bishop was insufficiently orthodox. John Chane, the bishop of Washington DC, faced a similar objection during his consecration.

From what I've read, two objections will be made during Robinson's consecration ceremony and then the objectors will depart in order to attend an "alternative" service. Good Anglican order and all that.

--------------------
In teh beginz is teh cat macro, and teh cat macro sez "Oh hai Ceiling Cat" and teh cat macro iz teh Ceiling Cat. Teh cat macro an teh Ceiling Cat iz teh bests frenz in teh begins.

Posts: 113 | From: the mountainous desert | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Try:
but there are going to be counterprotesters to counter him. And poliece.

And there will be metal detectors at the doors to the arena, and Gene Robinson will no doubt be wearing a bullet-proof vest. The bishop suffragan said at his parish visit to us here this last Sunday that Robinson and the presiding bishop both wore bulletproof vests throughout General Convention.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite my strong objection to the consecration, (see the 'Sitting on the fence...' thread) I sincerely hope Fr Robinson comes through it all unscathed. [Votive]

I hope a hypothetical and abstract question won't seem flippant here. I mean it quite seriously. If the service contains a question to the congregation such as 'Is it your will that he be consecrated?' and the loudest shout is 'No', what happens next?

[ 01. November 2003, 23:25: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
irreverentkit
Apostle's Amanuensis
# 4271

- Posted      Profile for irreverentkit         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The final burying of the hatchet between the RC and Orthodox churches (see article below) over a few words in the Creed reminds me that Christians have been fighting with other Christians for any number of offenses for thousands of years.

I pray that our unity may hold up through this turbulent time.
Someday Gene Robinson will just be another item in a Church History course...

Catholics, Orthodox Agree on Nicene Creed

Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christian leaders in North America announced partial agreement on a doctrinal issue that has divided the two Christian branches for nearly 1,000 years.

The groups, meeting in Washington, issued a statement Tuesday about the wording of the Nicene Creed, which is recited in all Orthodox and Catholic churches.

The Orthodox insist on the original Greek text from the Council of Constantinople (AD 381), which speaks of "the Holy Spirit, who proceeds from the Father." In 1014, the papacy added "and the Son" after that phrase, despite opposition from Eastern churches.

The creedal change and the exercise of papal power without church-wide agreement were major issues in the Great Schism between Catholicism and Orthodoxy that began in 1054.

This joint statement, the 22nd since the talks began in 1965, affirms the "normative and irrevocable dogmatic value" of the wording from AD 381. The paper thus recommends that Catholics use the original text in worship and cancel an anathema against Orthodox usage from a Catholic council in 1274.

Such recommendations require Vatican approval.

-- Associated Press

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I saw the Catholic-Orthodox story and nearly fell off my couch. Then I started a thread about it.

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ronja
Shipmate
# 4693

- Posted      Profile for Ronja   Email Ronja   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
And there will be metal detectors at the doors to the arena, and Gene Robinson will no doubt be wearing a bullet-proof vest. The bishop suffragan said at his parish visit to us here this last Sunday that Robinson and the presiding bishop both wore bulletproof vests throughout General Convention.

I don't think I had realized the enormity of this event until I read this. Now I feel scared... Are people really so upset that they might do something so awful, or is it just a precaution if some whacko is triggered by the commotion?

[Votive]

Posts: 742 | From: Up North | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read this morning that 50 bishops are going to be there in support. That's a lot of dioceses that may be out of communion on Monday.

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A female priest in the Episcopal church told me this story. Soon after she had been ordained, she was administering the chalice at a large communion service, along with several other priests. Someone stuck a nail file into her hand! She proceeded to the altar, grabbed a linen napkin, hastily wrapped it around her hand, and continued in the service.

This occurred in Indianapolis, shortly after the first group of female priests had been ordained.

I can see some zealot armed with a gun shooting a bishop. Especially in the United States.

[Frown] [brick wall]

Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I simply couldn't believe the tenor of the first objection at the Consecration. Along with sticking nail-files into people's hands, it's well up the league of things I can't imagine how people square with a profession of Christianity.
[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

- Posted      Profile for Degs   Email Degs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I hope a hypothetical and abstract question won't seem flippant here. I mean it quite seriously. If the service contains a question to the congregation such as 'Is it your will that he be consecrated?' and the loudest shout is 'No', what happens next?

The first of the objectors was unbelievable! [Eek!]

His objection against the supposed behaviour of the Bishop Elect consisted in a list of sexual practices - until ++Griswold called a halt and asked him to get to the point. Something of an own-goal I think. [Smile]

The other two were reasoned, but unoriginal. The Consecration proceeds.

I din't think the congregation could have shouted 'yes' any louder!

--------------------
The preest when he hath sayd and red all: he gyueth the benedyccion upon all those that be there present and then he doth tourne hym from the people retournynge thyther from whens he came.

Posts: 2388 | From: a land that I heard of once in a lullaby | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never thought that people could sink so low as to just list sexual practices like that. What was he trying to prove? That he knew a lot about gays? made my blood boil. I was sitting shouting at my PC, had to switch it off before I broke it...

However, am now listening to the sermon - good [Smile]

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

- Posted      Profile for Degs   Email Degs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it appears we have a new Bishop in the Church of God. [Yipee]

And also [Votive] for +Gene.

--------------------
The preest when he hath sayd and red all: he gyueth the benedyccion upon all those that be there present and then he doth tourne hym from the people retournynge thyther from whens he came.

Posts: 2388 | From: a land that I heard of once in a lullaby | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

I sure hope an objector didn't read off a long list of sexual practices.

I've been looking for feeds/sources on the consecration. Any links/info would be appreciated.

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC has one - here is the report on it

And I quote from it

quote:
One, Earl Fox from Pittsburgh, began to graphically list homosexual practices but was told not to go into detail.
Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

quote:
Originally posted by MarkthePunk:
I sure hope an objector didn't read off a long list of sexual practices.

Oh yes.

--------------------

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

Anybody know who Earl Fox is? I think only two objections were planned. Was his *ahem* unplanned?

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the chap who objected with the graphic list of sex acts

Earle Fox

He runs ex-gay ministries and is a total charmer judging by his web page and this lovely comment on it.

quote:
[COMMENT: Those who have voted for this tragic approval of homosexuality have put themselves outside the Christian camp. Most of them have abandoned any serious search for the truth, or any hold on Biblical theology, and demonstrate contempt for the law of God. So, in what sense Robinson will in fact be a bishop is up for grabs. They are in for a serious reality-check (as in "Come, let us reason together....") with God... E. Fox.]

L.

[ 02. November 2003, 22:32: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

Yeah, I see on his site that he advocates listing homosexual behaviors in public discussions of gay-related issues. If there is a place for that, a service surely is not one of those places.

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The The Bishop's Statements' of objection.

Am I right in thinking that this was broadcast in the US? Also, was there are a shipmate who was there, or who knows someone who could be convinced to post a report?

Thank you, come again.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

I'm sooooo surprised CANN didn't publish Fr Fox's objection. [Biased]

--------------------

Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have only one word to say about Fr. Fox:

Disusting!

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sacristy Rat
Shipmate
# 5034

- Posted      Profile for Sacristy Rat   Email Sacristy Rat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard Fr. Fox's statement as I was watching the BBC webcast of +Robinson's consecration. His language was so graphic we had to send the children out of the room until ++Frank bade him to desist. It was embarrassing, and far more worthy of the "God Hates Fags" crowd than anything else.

[Projectile]

--------------------
In teh beginz is teh cat macro, and teh cat macro sez "Oh hai Ceiling Cat" and teh cat macro iz teh Ceiling Cat. Teh cat macro an teh Ceiling Cat iz teh bests frenz in teh begins.

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Light:
Are people really so upset that they might do something so awful, or is it just a precaution if some whacko is triggered by the commotion?

Our bishop said the latter was their main concern, and that Robinson has received death threats. As has the presiding bishop.
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
I was sitting shouting at my PC, had to switch it off before I broke it...

However, am now listening to the sermon - good [Smile]

How are you listening to it? I could only find a short video report on the BBC. Is there a link somewhere to a recording of the whole service?
Assistant Village Idiot
Shipmate
# 3266

- Posted      Profile for Assistant Village Idiot   Author's homepage   Email Assistant Village Idiot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The word on the street here in NH is as Ruth W says. There was no indication of any organised physical confrontation, but precautions against whackjobs seemed in order. It only takes one.

--------------------
formerly Logician

Posts: 885 | From: New Hampshire, US | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is there a link somewhere to a recording of the whole service?
I second that question.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Sacristy Rat
Shipmate
# 5034

The BBC had live streaming video during the service, but I just checked the page and the link is gone. It looks like the short link is what's left.

--------------------

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

Could someone help me with the link to the BBC story (video)? I can't seem to locate it. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Dunstan.
Shipmate
# 5095

- Posted      Profile for Dunstan.   Author's homepage   Email Dunstan.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was there...and I wrote in about it, asking if I could put up an MW about it, but my planning to go only happened the day of the Ordination and Consecration so I didn't official approval, so I just took notes on stuff I noted, like crowd mutterings around me and stuff.

Yeah, Fr. Fox shocked us all. I think "rimmer" really pushed everyone to the breaking point. I think he was trying to show people how disgusting sex is, proving that what is really on the table for some is a full discussion of Christianity and Sexuality. Or embarass +Gene, who had to sit facing his consecrators. We shouted our consent after the people left as loud as we could. It could have been worse, though. Someone with a credible reputation could have claimed Gene has molested him.

TANGENT I felt uncomfortable for reasons I could not understand after the service. I think it was the fact (and I'm not joking about this reason) that it occurred in a Hockey RInk. Not that I was angry about that, but it made me feel like we were cutting ourselves away, even though I support this movement. Somehow some parts of the service left me cold. I know there is no space, but I would really have preferred a large Church. And I saw one of the weirdest things I have ever seen, a guy called David Haine, I think, in a cowboy hat (?) and some sort of ecclesiastical garb, trying to get people interested in his 2000 Presidential campaign and repeating like a mantra his Yahoo e-mail address about 200m from the place the service was held. Yes, I too have no idea.

Phelps was no problem, because the student body of the University of New Hampshire did not want Phelps and co.'s "bigot feet" on the field they helped pay for. He was three blocks away. If he had been on this field, it would probably have been quite horrible for those there for the consecration, waiting in the lobby, while rehearsals and a slow trickle were let in through the security, because Phelps would have been opposite this.
When we came out tons of UNH students were cheering and a solitary man on the anti-Gene Robinson side shouted at us.

I also got to see the Phelpsmobile in the parking lot. It says Welcome in English, Spanish and Chinese. Pretty bizarre.

Laters,
Dunstan

--------------------
Pax et bonum-Dunstan
The desire to rule is the mother of all heresies. - St. John Chrysostom

Posts: 54 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a report from the ACNS.

It includes photos of the huddle.

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

You mean the bishops actually had to touch him? A g...g...gay person? Whatever next? Will they have to touch the poor, the homeless, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free? [Disappointed]

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fr. Fox's catalogue of sexual acts is pointless since he cannot be certain that the Proudies (shall we say) don't get up to exactly the same shenanigans in their marital bed in the Bishop's House in Barchester.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

The contrast between Fr Fox's dubious litany and the graciousness of ++Griswold and +Robinson was remarkable.

--------------------

Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

Sorry to DP!

Here is the response from the primus inter pares.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has the marks of a press office rather than ++Rowan himself. Just a bit bland wouldn't you say?
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Degs

Friend of dorothy
# 2824

Yes and no. I find it hard to believe ++Rowan would simply allow his press office to put words in his mouth.

It would appear from the news that the Province of Kenya is the first to declare itself 'out of communion' with ECUSA.

[ 03. November 2003, 09:09: Message edited by: Degs ]

--------------------

scoticanus
Shipmate
# 5140

- Posted      Profile for scoticanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Degs, thanks for the reference.

I don't understand what Rowan Williams is up to. He was resolute in arguing for and defending the priesting of women, which was and remains highly divisive. Why is he being so irresolute now?

I also don't understand why, in the words of the statement, "it will not be possible for Gene Robinson's ministry as a bishop to be accepted in every province in the communion". From the point of view of those who claim to be "mainstream Anglicans", surely any possible objection to receiving his ministry is covered by Article XXVI, "Of the Unworthiness of the Ministers, which hinders not the effect of the Sacraments"?

Posts: 491 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scoticanus:
I also don't understand why, in the words of the statement, "it will not be possible for Gene Robinson's ministry as a bishop to be accepted in every province in the communion". From the point of view of those who claim to be "mainstream Anglicans", surely any possible objection to receiving his ministry is covered by Article XXVI, "Of the Unworthiness of the Ministers, which hinders not the effect of the Sacraments"?

It's not to do with any sort of theology of 'taint' or anything like that, but the fact that the majority of Anglicans don't believe Robinson should have been consecrated. Archbishop Rowan has pointed out, Gene Robinson could not have been consecrated in nearly all of the provinces of the Anglican Communion. They believe it means ECUSA, Robinson and the participating bishops have acted outside the Anglican tradition and therefore they don't recognise the validity of the consecration. It is regarded as a step so serious that communion is broken.

Now would those who have said ad nauseam on SoF that they didn't think the Anglican Communion would break up over this rethink their position? The fact is that a huge number of Anglicans now don't and can't accept ECUSA as being part of the same Church any more. For myself, I can now only think of ECUSA in the same way as I think of another denomination. Some Anglicans, I suspect, would go further and suggest that ECUSA is somehow not Christian in any meaningful sense of the word -- I have read an essay a few years ago by Pannenberg which gives this perspective some theological undergirding (others may know of a link to this).

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scoticanus:
I don't understand what Rowan Williams is up to. He was resolute in arguing for and defending the priesting of women, which was and remains highly divisive. Why is he being so irresolute now?

RW has made no secret of his intention to speak from what he sees as his office as ABC rather than from his personal opinions.

Also there is really no equality between the objectors to the ordination of women, who argued on theological grounds; & objectors to ordination of non-celibate gay men, who mostly argue on ethical grounds. One lot say women cannot be bishops because they are women, the other lot say non-celibate gay men ought not to be bishops, because they are unrepentant sinners. But that's off-topic here I think - it s been flogged to death on othr threads, a couple of which are still around somehere else on the Ship.

quote:

From the point of view of those who claim to be "mainstream Anglicans", surely any possible objection to receiving his ministry is covered by Article XXVI, "Of the Unworthiness of the Ministers, which hinders not the effect of the Sacraments"?

Yes, obviously true.

Assuming they are bing consistent, perhaps they aren't saying "Gene is not a real bishop" so much as "we don't want to associate with the kind of people who want him as their bishop".

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Assuming they are bing consistent, perhaps they aren't saying "Gene is not a real bishop" so much as "we don't want to associate with the kind of people who want him as their bishop".

He is invalidated from being a real bishop for most of the Provinces because he does not meet their criteria for the selection of a bishop. This is a fundamental break. His consecration is considered utterly wrong, and inevitably if they don't consider him a real bishop then they won't recognise his sacramental acts, in the same way they wouldn't necessarily be able to fully recognise the sacramental acts of another church they are not in communion with. Don't forget that women bishops are not able to function episcopally in the Church of England. Those ordained by women bishops elsewhere are also not recognised in the Church of England and many other provinces. So we had impaired communion before, and now we have broken communion also.
Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is our refusal to accept US women bishops merely "impaired" but Kenyans refusal to accept US gay bishops "broken"?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because homophobia is a much more socially acceptable prejudice than misogyny. (Not that they wouldn't try that if they could get away with it.)

[ 03. November 2003, 12:30: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Carey:
For myself, I can now only think of ECUSA in the same way as I think of another denomination. Some Anglicans, I suspect, would go further and suggest that ECUSA is somehow not Christian in any meaningful sense of the word -- I have read an essay a few years ago by Pannenberg which gives this perspective some theological undergirding (others may know of a link to this).

It saddens me to hear that you consider the ECUSA to be no longer part of the Anglican Communion. The suggestion that they might be no longer no longer Christian, even though you don't identify personally with this belief, concerns me even more. (I am trying not to get into the substance on these issues here; anyone who suggests that liberals don't have reasoned arguments hasn't been paying attention to several Purgatory threads lately, not to mention the Dead Horses thread.)

I wonder what Shipmates in ECUSA think about this response?

If you are a Shipmate in ECUSA, and pro +Gene, do you have any suggestions for fellow Anglicans about how we should respond to statements like Andrew's?

Like many others, I want to encourage mutual understanding, not separation. I hope that Anglicans in other countries who support +Gene, will show that this is not a dispute between 'ECUSA and the rest of the Anglican Communion'.

A.
CofE, and pro +Gene

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wulfstan
Shipmate
# 558

- Posted      Profile for Wulfstan   Email Wulfstan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Andrew Carey said:
quote:
Some Anglicans, I suspect, would go further and suggest that ECUSA is somehow not Christian in any meaningful sense of the word -- I have read an essay a few years ago by Pannenberg which gives this perspective some theological undergirding (others may know of a link to this).
And this is probably the fundamental problem. How exactly can we have a mature debate about this when certain people are declaring others as no longer Christian over an issue that isn't even mentioned in the Gospels. The views of the hardliners are one interpretation of scripture and tradition. There are others however and theirs is not the definitive one.
I have tried hard to moderate my views on this, but the remarks that have been made by many conservatives just stoke my anger about the whole business. Why should I respect the views of conservatives if this respect is not going to be reciprocated?

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

Speaking of Objections;

An interview with the Archbishop of Sydney

I watched it live - and he came across as supremely logical and well-reasoned. The ABC is notoriously bad at getting "experts" from both sides - and in this instance, the interviewer though he would be clever and be the devil's advocate (as it were). It didn't work. I reckon they should have gotten someone equally well educated and articulate to argue the opposite view - but I would, wouldn't I?

--------------------

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

Griswold and Gene R being "gracious" is a crock. Having his partner participate in the service, including handing him his mitre is a bit in-your-face, is it not?

GR's gracious words are just that -- words.

As for those who are getting their robes wrinkled about someone questioning whether the ECUSA is Christian, may I ask if they are upset by being led by those who do not hold to the basics of the faith, such as the atonement and the resurrection, such as Spong et al. If the ECUSA is Christian, it sure as heck has a funny way of showing it at times.

Clearly, there are a lot of Christians in the ECUSA. But there are a lot of Christians in the Rotery Club, too.

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

Come with me to hell, please.

--------------------

Bongo
Shipmate
# 778

- Posted      Profile for Bongo   Email Bongo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Today programme this morning, they did an interview with three people: two extremely articulate and media savvy conservatives v. one struggling less articulate elderly ex-bishop.

Not very balanced. It really pissed me off.

How many times are conservatives going to be allowed to go on Radio 4 and claim that everyone (liberals included) agrees that the Bible condemns homosexuality before somebody challenges them on this?

Then they started pulling that "the vast majority of the Anglican communion agrees with me" unsubstantiated CRAP again and I had to switch off.

--------------------
"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!" ~ Dr Strangelove

Posts: 492 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarkthePunk:
As for those who are getting their robes wrinkled about someone questioning whether the ECUSA is Christian, may I ask if they are upset by being led by those who do not hold to the basics of the faith, such as the atonement and the resurrection, such as Spong et al. If the ECUSA is Christian, it sure as heck has a funny way of showing it at times.

Clearly, there are a lot of Christians in the ECUSA. But there are a lot of Christians in the Rotery Club, too.

You know, I had pretty much decided that I was leaving the ECUSA for good, simply because I couldn't stand all the politicking and anathemas being proclaimed left and right. This, however, reminds me that it could be far worse and may even propel me back to my former parish next Sunday.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016