homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » MW: Valid Consecration (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW: Valid Consecration
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For God's sake has John Holding not been reading the rest of the posts on this thread? Or is he being wilfully difficult?

Ordination is not, repeat not, the same as commissioning. That happens in the Royal Navy or the Salvation Army. It does not happen in the Anglican Church. Neither is the laying on of hands simply the way in which ordination happens to be expressed. If it was, do you seriously think that in our modern-obsessed world it would still be going. In the twenty-first doesn't it make sense, as a previous curate of HTB thought, just do it by fax or an e-mail from the Bishop's office? Perhaps, in view of its importance, a telegram from the Archbish. Or, if you must make some kind of public spectacle of it, do it in a big church but have all different people doing it (after all what's so special about a bishop, somebody who has been commissioned a third time?) going up and down the line like presidents glad-handling. Perhaps it could be done like old Confirmations used to be done in the country churches with all the candidates for 'commissioning' sitting in lines, a board laid over their heads which the Bishop touches and, whoosh!, they're all done. Saves time and effort and means you can get back to haranguing people about the Kuala Lumpur Statement.

Ordination is a sacramental act whereby the candidate is told to 'Receive the Holy Ghost for the office and work of a deacon/priest' not 'Receive the acclamation of me and sixteen busybodies with too much time on their hands to become a professional religious person'. This means, as well as the theology, reason, ecclesiology and history of the Church of England, that lay presidency is totally alien to Anglicanism. It is not good enough to say that if the Bishop licences somebody to say mass then that person can just get up and do it. A sacramental, episcopal church (which, like it or not, the Anglican Church is) does not function in that way. If you don't like it then don't be an Anglican. That's fair enough. But do not try to mangle what little sacramentalism the Anglican Church still possesses just because you think it should be done in a different way. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde: 'Never mock the ordination of clergy. Only people who can't get into it do that.'

Yours, brandishing his BCP Ordinal, ASB Ordinal and any other Episcopal Ordinal you care to mention,

Cosmo

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
adds that in this now 101 post long thread most of what Cosmo said had been said before. he did however say it in a cheerful, spirited and encouraging way.

the truly sad thing is that some evangelicaly leaning members of the CofE may find the whole thrust of this thread wierd, superstitious and dis-quieting.

i am left wandering that if the "suceed" and the church does fall down this path of modernising and trying to be "accountable" and "in touch" the downward trend in those who are part of the body of christ will spiral. our current difficulties imho are due to the corrupt, idolising and selfish attitude of the people and never has a church flourished ( in numbers ) in this sort of climate.we are called to prophecy not fall in line.

what has survived throught he centuries is the proof against herecy that our tradition gives us. if this current trend towards non-sacrtemantal worship and findind the lowest common factor in biblical exegesis continues then maybe this church needs to go down the plug hole.

please dont take us who cherish the pillars of tradition , doctrine and reason with you.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
what has survived throught he centuries is the proof against herecy that our tradition gives us. if this current trend towards non-sacrtemantal worship and findind the lowest common factor in biblical exegesis continues then maybe this church needs to go down the plug hole.

Well I'm not convinced there is a trend towards non-sacremental worship, perhaps there was in my parents generation (I'm 25), but in mine the tendancy seems to be towards a higher churchmanship among many. I certainly feel that the Tradition found in Anglo-Catholic circles has a lot to offer young people as long as it is not enforced with the modernist zeal of some Evangelicals (who I also love and value!)

When I receive communion I know why the Priest presiding is presiding. Not because they are the most vocal, gifted or energetic member of the church, not because they are the most controlling or powerful, but because they are ordained priest, because they represent Church, Congregation and (ducks) Christ.

When I look at who "presided" over the house churches I used to attend the same could not be said.

But then the Eucharist is at the very heart of our worship as Anglicans (and it has not always been so), not the Sermon or the Songs we sing. The Eucharist to me is not just recieving bread and wine, or even body and blood, it is the absolution, the peace, the concecration , the post communion meditation. It is a holistic act of worship that spans the centuries.

I have shared bread and wine in many churches, but there is a depth I have found in the Historic christian eucharistic liturgy that leads me to believe that I recieve in a greater part now than I did then. Other people may have different experiences.

Having said that I do believe there is a need for the Eucharist to permeate our lives. I am always keen to share bread and pour wine at the begining of a meal with friends, not as a Eucharist, but as a reflection of the Eucharistic. A reminder perhaps.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
While Astro looks at from a "politlcs and power" view

I am not really looking at it from a politics and power view - more a you should think things out for yourself view

Astro

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure whether this belongs on this thread or on Bizarre practises, but as they are both incredibly long I'll add my two-pennorth before someone diverts the thread.

Can anyone explain why so many anglican evangelical parishes, in their practice, turn to a very magical-medieval-priestcraft view, whatever they may believe in theory about 'lay presidency'? I mean, the fact that they often have a lay president for the whole liturgy except for the eucharistic prayer... the priest is brought in to say the 'magic words'.

If the presider has a true pastoral role within that congregation, let them offer themself for ordination as priest; if the priest has no true pastoral role (either for that or another group of christians) then what is the point of him/her being a priest at all?

But to reduce the liturgical role of the priest to popping up half way through the service to say a prayer is a bit like inviting a bishop to the Lord Mayor's banquet just in order to say grace.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baptism in an emergency (a dying newborn) is a whole different kettle of fish from a eucharist service. Churches that believe it is important not to die unbaptized have had to acknowledge that babies tend to be born and perhaps die on their own schedule without checking for the availability of clergy.
But participating in the eucharist requires some sort of conscious intent and action, so it can be held to a different standard.

Having said that, I feel that the emphasis should be on the clear conscience and understanding of the one receiving the eucharist, not on the formal rules and/or particular church membership in effect.
From my own experience, I can make an interesting distinction. I have taken communion in the RC church a few times (under various circumstances) and never felt that I was abusing any "trust", despite my total lack of "official" christian credentials. But I never take communion at the Baptist church I also have connections with, because I truly cannot accept their non-mystical, limited conception of Jesus and the meaning of communion. In the first case, I feel at one with the sacrament, but defer out of respect for the rules of the church. In the second case, I genuinely feel that I would blaspheme their understanding of the sacrament if I took part.
I hope this makes sense to someone; it's a very picky point.
Six people on a desert island? Well, in that case, I think one is back to direct dealings with God, and there is no need to quibble about church rules.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Iakovos
Shipmate
# 623

- Posted      Profile for Iakovos   Email Iakovos   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm interested in an extension of the desert island thought experiment....
Suppose, peradventure, that a group of
intrepid space explorers sets off from earth
on a long voyage to a distant star. Some of the voyagers are Christians and happen to have a priest amongst them, consecrated in Apostolic succession, who presides over their
Eucharist and other sacraments.

They reach their destination. Unfortunately
the landing was more than bumpy and the
priest was killed. In the interim, Earth has
started a very short nuclear war and all
other human life has been extinguished.

Now..in the absence of a priest or Bishops to
consecrate same, are these remaining humans to be deprived of the Eucharist until
Our Lord's return ?

Posts: 61 | From: Ossining, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG
Shipmate
# 8

- Posted      Profile for Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG   Email Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Iakovos:
Now..in the absence of a priest or Bishops to
consecrate same, are these remaining humans to be deprived of the Eucharist until
Our Lord's return ?

I think even the RC Church allows that a valid Eucharist may be celebrated without a priest ordained in the Apostolic Succession in extraordinary circumstances such as these, or even less extraordinary, such as the desert island case where there might be a reasonable hope of rescue. I forget where I got this information from, so it might not be reliable, but it seems to make sense.

All the Eucharistic theology that I'm familiar with, both past and present, protestant, Orthodox, or Catholic, makes clear that the Eucharist is celebrated by the whole church, not just the celebrant, and not just the people who are present in the assembly in that time and place. The celebrant presides. The celebrant does not do something apart from everybody. Having a priest ordained in the Apostolic succession preside may be the normative practice, and not something to be set aside lightly. But obviously there are circumstances where it may be necessary.

Chris
Right down the road from you in Yonkers

Posts: 151 | From: Yonkers, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bravo Br. Jenks!

Cosmo -- I agree entirely with you about what ordination does. I was talking about the form necessary for it to happen. You have reacted very strongly to my use of the word "comissioning" without considering how I was using it. If it has a certain connotation for you, okay, but please consider that many of us may use it in a more general sense which includes your definition of what ordination does.

You have still not dealt with why the form of ordination has to be that of the second or third century (certainly not the first) and cannot be changed. (Obviously I am assumeing, what is probably not in the mind of the good folk of Sydney, that the people to be licensed are called by the church and accepted by their communities, and licensed with the intent that they would preside at the eucharist),

BTW, it is allowed to refer to me as John, even if I am identified by my whole name.
John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manx Taffy
Shipmate
# 301

- Posted      Profile for Manx Taffy   Email Manx Taffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In some ways this thread has been useful ;
I have seen some very good explanations of the importance of priesthood, ordination, consecration etc which better describe my own Anglican views than I could put into words
Also I have seen the protestant position carefully and intelligently explained from a number of sincere christians.
However in the end I find the whole thing rather depressing as these things are central to peoples beliefs and yet our views are so far from each others comprehension and we all call ourselves christian.
After many previous such divisive discussions my own take is to quitely accept that we will never agree. I believe that many christians are missing out on the gifts of the eucharist as a sacrement but I am also sure I am probably missing out on some gifts that are more readily present in charismatic life. Our best hope for any form of unity is to quietly share as much as possible these gifts without having to challenge each others central beliefs.
Let those who wish to hold a memorial to Christ presided over by the laity do so and receive the benefits they obviously get from doing so. I myself will stick to the eucharist as I have experienced its benefits.

Posts: 397 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can understand this quiet resignation. But can I suggest that you stand back for a moment and re-evaluate. What has been presented on this thread (and many other on the Ship of Fools) are different ways of thinking, and of practise. But all are ways that different Christians use worship and think of their Lord.

For me it is not a quiet resignation that things are so different, but rather a chance to revel in the plurality of ways that are open to us. It is a huge, beautiful garden where the differnt styles, create different vista, fragrences etc. As long as we are aware that *our* way is not the only way to worship or understand Almighty God, then I believe that God takes a great deal of pleasure in this diversity.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manx Taffy
Shipmate
# 301

- Posted      Profile for Manx Taffy   Email Manx Taffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Point taken BB.
I believe we should share more of our wide experiences and view points but still taking care not to cause great offence to people's strongly held beliefs.
Each branch of the church seems so scared to lower its dogmatic guard in public. It is clear from lots who write on these boards that there are many people in other quite different parts of the church with whom I would be very comfortable in sharing different forms of worship, but the public reality is different. In most churches it is the intolerant people who have the loudest voices.
I don't believe in lay presidency but I have no objection to people who do - that's not meant to be condescending! I would object if people tried to introduce lay presidency in the Angican church as if that is what they want then there are already other denominations they can go to.

Posts: 397 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I believe that many christians are missing out on the gifts of the eucharist as a sacrement but I am also sure I am probably missing out on some gifts that are more readily present in charismatic life."

I am curious as to why so many people on this and other threads think that being sacramental means non-charismatic. Unless their understanding of "sacramental" (or highc church/anglo-catholic) and "charismatic" is different than mine.

Most of the early teaching and experience I had about charismatic gifts came our of the Roman Catholic renewal movement -- singing in the spirit I first experienced at a meeting of a couple of hundred RCs -- and most of the most active charismatic people I know are also highly sacramental.

Where is the conflict seen to lie?

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG
Shipmate
# 8

- Posted      Profile for Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG   Email Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:

I am curious as to why so many people on this and other threads think that being sacramental means non-charismatic. Unless their understanding of "sacramental" (or highc church/anglo-catholic) and "charismatic" is different than mine.

Where is the conflict seen to lie?

John

I agree with you John. I find that much of the ceremonial of Roman Catholic, Anglo Catholic, Orthodox etc. churches are merely formalized versions of the spontaneous forms of worship I have observed in Pentecostal churches, particularly churches in the African American tradition. Pentecostal/Charismatic worship and theology has far more in common with the Anglo Catholic worship and theology that I grew up with than the worship and theology of, for example, an evangelical fundamentalist church, including a much higher doctrine of the Eucharist and even devotion to Mary as the mother of God and the Sacred Heart of Jesus. These churches also tend to be far more sensitive to issues of social and economic justice than most Protestant churches I have been to.

Chris

Posts: 151 | From: Yonkers, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitions and descriptions please.

What precisely do you mean by "charismatic".

HT

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016