homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Jensens Jensens everywhere! (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Jensens Jensens everywhere!
Eloise
Shipmate
# 4292

- Posted      Profile for Eloise   Email Eloise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As someone who attended an Anglican Church in the west of Sydney for the past 3 years (but would not define herself as an anglican), I have 3 main reactions to this thread:

1. I share many of the concerns expressed about specific actions and/or speeches by the Jensens.

2. However, in my experience of sydney anglicans (bearing in mind that this is a long way from the centre of the action), I really don't think there is a need to panic to this extent. Most of the rank and file (me included) are just trying to get on with the whole love-the-lord-your-god-and-love-your-neighbour thing without being terribly worried about or interested in the politics of the upper echelons. And are, in my experience, quite happy to work with people of different denominations/theological persuasions. All this could be explained, however, if my parish were one of the 15 or so middle of the road ones identified above, or non-Jensenist evangelical or something (which leads me to ask . . . which are what?).

3. [rant] At least you've got a church within an hour's drive of where you live! And an English-speaking one at that! It's not that bad! Besides which, how does making snide comments in a sarcastic tone about the Jensens help anyone? Why can't we just disagree with them peacefully, like we would with anyone else? (And don't say they started it!) Why can't we set a good example (to them) of being tolerant of people whom we disagree with rather than criticising them for intolerance and then turning around and doing exactly the same thing towards them? Whatever happened to love your enemy? [Frown] [/rant]

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - The Red Queen

Posts: 419 | From: Bay Area, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Royal Peculiar
Shipmate
# 3159

- Posted      Profile for Royal Peculiar   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actualy quite liked (somewhat to my surprise)the welcome dinner speech, until it go to the last bit when he started going on about how much he was going to be persecuted. I am a little cautious who argue abot those argue " lots of people hate me, tehrefore I must be right ". Thre are plenty of other explanations as to why someone might hate you.

--------------------
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Oscar Wilde

Posts: 405 | From: Barking, London | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Royal Peculiar
Shipmate
# 3159

- Posted      Profile for Royal Peculiar   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That should of course read " I am a litttle cautious about those who argue"
note to self - preview post is an essential not an option.

--------------------
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Oscar Wilde

Posts: 405 | From: Barking, London | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
NEWSFLASH for Phillip Jensen: St Francis of Assisi the saint is dead, St Francis of Assisi the sub-Christian outpost of Rome is very much alive and well and you can't be Pope because you aren't a Catholic.

The pope's catholic?
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
quote:
NEWSFLASH for Phillip Jensen: St Francis of Assisi the saint is dead, St Francis of Assisi the sub-Christian outpost of Rome is very much alive and well and you can't be Pope because you aren't a Catholic.

The pope's catholic?
Well, it is better expressed as "the pope's popish" - or, if you prefer, "the pope's romish". All Christians who confess and believe the catholic creeds are catholic. IMNSHO.

Pax out, y'all.

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome Eloise.

You said:
quote:
3. [rant] At least you've got a church within an hour's drive of where you live! And an English-speaking one at that! It's not that bad! Besides which, how does making snide comments in a sarcastic tone about the Jensens help anyone? Why can't we just disagree with them peacefully, like we would with anyone else? (And don't say they started it!) Why can't we set a good example (to them) of being tolerant of people whom we disagree with rather than criticising them for intolerance and then turning around and doing exactly the same thing towards them? Whatever happened to love your enemy? [/rant]
Why does the distance one has to travel make a difference? I've not complained - it would be nicer if I lived closer to church, but that's more from the perspective of organ practice which I have to do every day... English speaking? Yes. I'd never really thought about it to be honest, but I am grateful for both having been able to find a place and that it is English speaking, although I would adjust I think if it were another European language...

Making snide comments about the Jensens. Well. Is it ok to vent frustration?

Why can't we disagree with them peacefully? Because they make life hard for us. We would prefer peace, to keep our heads down and stay out of trouble. To even work with the diocese as some non-Jensenite churches do. Eloise, there are very real threats some of us face because of certain diocesan policies which the Jensens and their supporters have propounded. The most crushing one is the declaration that no chap who's been trained in a theological seminary/college outside the Diocese will be appointed to positions within it.

This means that parishes like mine which have an Anglo-Catholic heritage, and are coming up for change of rector (due to retirement) will find it very hard to replace their old rector with a chap who is from within the same tradition and in sympathy with the parish... Because all the graduates from Moore College are stamped with the same stamp - all very Calvinist Evangelicals of the Jensen ilk.

That's why we can't just "be peaceful". We are peaceful. We are quiet. But there may come a time when we have to fight for what we believe, yes, even against the diocesan hierarchy.

On the whole we are prepared to tolerate all views. We might consider it incomprehensible for people to hold a certain belief, but if that's what they believe to be the truth, then we aren't going to tell them what to believe.

I don't think it's fair to regard them as the "enemy". That creates an atmosphere of hostility.

Yes, we need to love each other. For us that means forgiving and accepting. For them it means taking a step back and listening to what God is saying through others, and not just through the Oh-So-Precious-WORD-Of-God.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[ jugular hands nunc a verylarge glass of red wine ]

Relax. Breathe in, breathe out.

There, now isn't that better.

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fungus
Shipmate
# 4243

- Posted      Profile for Fungus   Email Fungus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
Why does the distance one has to travel make a difference?

I think that this part of her rant relates to the fact that she's in Tianjin, China. I don't think that churches of any flavour are thick on the ground there.
Posts: 137 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Demagoguery, perhaps?

Maybe a balcony from which to spout ( such as Mussolini at the Piazza Venezia in Rome)?

Steve's sig says it all to this sub-Christian....

cheers ,

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gawd; lots of cross-posts. The above refers to "What does Jensen have that he has such a horde of followers?"

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just thought I'd share the following gem with you all:

Dean Philip Jensen's mother's day sermon

Gotta love that man for his straight thinking, *biblical* view that women who aren't barefoot and pregnant are rejecting God...

Women who have careers are being selfish.

Aren't you so glad, ladies, that he knows our innermost souls so well as to declare us all in a state of rejection of God?

[Roll Eyes]

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seemed to me reading it that there was a lot of good nuggets in there, but it was completely spoilt by his obsessive dislike of the Child-free website. If he posted on SoF, I'm sure Phillip would quickly be labelled a troll and be snapped up by Erin (now there's an idea..... who will volunteer to tell him about this website? [Snigger] )

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know someone who heard this sermon at a baptism on Sunday morning at the cathedral. She wanted to thump him. This from a Christian woman with 3 kids.

It would be an ok sermon if he hadn't equated the child-free choice with a rejection of God. I think Jensen really is demonstrating what a confused and illogical individual he really is. Let him speak for himself.

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, someone who

quote:
is “an active members of the BMW Drivers Club of NSW and enjoys motorsport... recently became WIRES volunteers performing rescues of Australia's injured and sick wildlife.”

is rejecting God. Of course, God is not present in the fellowship of friends, or the sacrificial care of injured animals. God is only present when women get preggers and squeeze out children.

The thing that really got my hackles up, though, was this. Our beloved dean has repeatedly condemned the media for it's uninformed and presumptious reporting. Yet, he quite cheerfully lifts details from a website about people he's never met, and with whom he has presumably never engaged, and publicly condemns their motives and accuses them of rejecting God. If someone did the same to him, he would be going on about how poor done by he is. [Waterworks]

What's more, Christianity has a long history of valuing celibate and single people, as well as mothers and fathers. What's more, if one doesn't want children, surely one ought not to have them? In one fell swoop, Jensen has condemned those who choose, or even feel called, not to have children. What exactly does this achieve? Is this really a good form of mission, to condemn those who are not part of the fold? It's all very well for a church to teach a policy of compulsory procreation - even if some find it repugnant - but its another thing altogether for a church to condemn those who are not part of it! What a wonderful way to show the understanding and compassion of God!

I don't want children. I like children, otherwise I wouldn't teach the little buggers. But I don't want any, not least because the balance of the universe might be upset by more jugulars running around! Therefore, I am rejecting God. Sad, really. [Frown]

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

Maybe jugular, but you are not a woman. And therein lies the difference. If you are a man you are allowed to have a career, because you are the breadwinner. It's those selfish women who are to blame, you see. Choosing to do what is not natural, rejecting God, rejecting the chance for salvation through childbirth (well it is in Paul, is it not, and we have to believe what the bible says).
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the Cathedral General Meeting (Sydney's St Andrew's Cathedral where Phil J is Dean) Fr Phil announced that we are about to have a 6-month "trial" of having Holy Communion with the elements served in the pews and the wine served in individual cups. No option for people who want the common cup. [Mad]

Who will rid us of this turbulent presbyter?

Kyrie... Christe... Kyrie...

Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't the cathedral have a church council or something which has to agree to changes like this? An English parish would probably have to get PCC approval for this - what is the Australian cathedral equivalent?

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:
Doesn't the cathedral have a church council or something which has to agree to changes like this? An English parish would probably have to get PCC approval for this - what is the Australian cathedral equivalent?

Yes, we have a Cathedral chapter ... which just happens to be filled with the Usual Suspects from the Diocese - i.e. the fine upstanding unAnglican Anglican old-boy clergy. They all seem to be in full support of anything that a Jensen does, or proposes. [Frown] Any vacancies on the Chapter will be filled by the choice of ... the Dean's brother, ++Peter Jensen.

As Nunc Dimittis says: *sigh*

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
6 month trials - ah yes, I have experience of this: 15 years later and you will still be doing it......... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bad process.

As to the practice, how in heaven's names are they going to get to all the pews? Standing at one end and tossing the loaf down?

Having said that, people might want to consider that at Christ Church, Oxford, in the days when Pusey was a canon, the custom was (and presuably hade been for many decades) for the clergy to bring round the bread and wine to serve the people. However, they did use a common cup.

John Holding

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
shareman
Shipmate
# 2871

- Posted      Profile for shareman   Email shareman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a thought. In England it is acceptable for parishes who disagree with their bishop's stand on something, like women's ordination, for instance, to request alternate Episcopal oversight. Just such a row is going on in the Canadian diocese of New Westminster where a number of parishes have requested it as a result of the blessing of same sex unions. Now, it's not the norm in Canada, and besides, they want someone who offered without consulting their bishop and who is not the one their bishop wants (he is ready to concede, after his fashion).

It seems to me that this is done largely by conservatives who disagree with the two issues I have already mentioned. How about turning the tables? Has any beleaguered parish in Sydney diocese requested AEO? On a mailing list to which I subscribe someone made the suggestion that, since Lambeth '98 is used as the argument for AEO by those parishes who feel their bishop is disobeying the Voice of the Church and, presumably, the Voice of God, there is a lot of room. Previous Lambeth conferences have charged us to seek non-violent means of problem resolution. Should those parishes who disagree with war, like that in Iraq, request AEO if their bishop supports such a conflict? Are there examples of situations where the Jensens are disobeying the Voice of the Church? Mightn't work, but it'd upset the apple cart [Devil]

--------------------
Israel also came into Egypt, and Jacob was a stranger in the land of Ham.

Posts: 516 | From: on a rock AND a hard place | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mother Teresa?

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:
At the Cathedral General Meeting (Sydney's St Andrew's Cathedral where Phil J is Dean) Fr Phil announced that we are about to have a 6-month "trial" of having Holy Communion with the elements served in the pews and the wine served in individual cups. No option for people who want the common cup. [Mad]

Who will rid us of this turbulent presbyter?

Kyrie... Christe... Kyrie...

Sounds like we really ought to have a Corpus Christi procession through there with censing.
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

You know where to get the umbrellino....and a lot of spare white and gold drag.

I'm sure the sacristan at St Frank's would be happy to cooperate!

cheers,

m

PS Can't someone complain to the Primate?

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by multipara:

cheers,

m

No Corpus Christi procession would be complete without a monstrance and humeral veil. There is a fabulous Spanish example we can lay hands on.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

quote:
Can't someone complain to the Primate?
Unfortunately the Primate has no canonical power to do anything.

Shot glass communion has been a part of Sydney Diocese for some time. There is no strict prohibition from our formularies. But, to force it on a congregation after a few months in the job is obscene and uncalled for! Especially seeing as the main "meeting" [Mad] on Sunday is Morning Prayer, and "The Lord's Supper" is only celebrated at eight o'clock.

I am literally in shock over this abomination. Not because I think it makes the communion invalid, but because of the pastoral ineptitude and disregard for people that it demonstrates.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

Absolutely jugular.

I mean, it's a fricking Cathedral, not some parish church down the road.

quote:
Has any beleaguered parish in Sydney diocese requested AEO?
No - and the reason for this is the same that the Diocese hasn't split from the communion: the issue of who owns the land/money/power. *sigh* To my knowledge, the only parish not to vest its title in the Church Property Trust was St James King St, which is still run by trustees... It follows that only St James would be free of the problem of wanting to have AEO.

Double edged sword and all that.

CJS
Shipmate
# 3503

- Posted      Profile for CJS   Email CJS   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am literally in shock over this abomination.
That's a pretty funky use of both the word 'literally' and the word 'abomination'. I think you have just taken OTT to a whole new level.

Surely the dean is acting in line with the medical advice the diocese has received (see Common Cup Report)

Posts: 665 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
shareman
Shipmate
# 2871

- Posted      Profile for shareman   Email shareman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CJS:

Surely the dean is acting in line with the medical advice the diocese has received (see Common Cup Report)

First, I'd have to ask if this infectious disease guy is a friend of Jensen, co-opted to give a pseudosciantific justification for doing away with what the Jensens probably see as some idolatry or other. Consider that the Anglican Church has had a common chalice for over five hundred years, and the Orthodox for 2000 years, give or take a few centuries, have been receiving bread and wind mixed from a spoon which is used to lift the Sacrament out of the chalice. Furthermore, priests in both Churches routinely consume the consecrated elements after the Mass, and should therefore get maximum exposure to any pathogens. I don't think there have been huge numbers of priestly deaths as a result, nor have the lay people been popping off like flies.

"That the bread be prepared by a person who has carefully washed their hands immediately beforehand." Is he actually saying that the rite of the Lavabo is acceptable? Or maybe he just didn't think about that.

"Fortified wine should be used and not grape juice. Where wine is diluted with water the quantity of water should be very small."
Grape juice? In an Anglican Church? And what a good way to get rid of that nasty Romish practice of mixing water with the wine [Roll Eyes]

"plastic cups should be disposed of.....This should in no way lessen our sense of fellowship and of remembrance of Christ’s death for us."

Pretty much shows his Eucharistic theology.

Sounds a but contrived to me, especially when ID experts in other parts of the world have been giving the go-ahead to a common cup. One example:
http://www.concordtx.org/wrldnews/lsgerms.htm

--------------------

Posts: 516 | From: on a rock AND a hard place | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

quote:
Originally posted by shareman:
... the Orthodox for 2000 years, give or take a few centuries, have been receiving bread and wind mixed from a spoon which is used to lift the Sacrament out of the chalice.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

quote:
quote:

cheers,

m

No Corpus Christi procession would be complete without a monstrance and humeral veil. There is a fabulous Spanish example we can lay hands on.
We'd also need to get our hands on some Corpus Christi to make the procession actually mean something. Any willing priests out there care to whip up some for us?
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

quote:
Originally posted by CJS:

And signing his name Peter F Jensen!!! Whatever happened to ++ Peter Sydney? [Eek!]
Luke

Soli Deo Gloria
# 306

- Posted      Profile for Luke   Author's homepage   Email Luke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just thought I'd share the following gem with you all:
Dean Philip Jensen's mother's day sermon

Gotta love that man for his straight thinking, *biblical* view that women who aren't barefoot and pregnant are rejecting God...

Nunc,

Meaning no disrespect and not wanting to dredge up old posts for the sake of argument, but I read your post and then Jensen's sermon.

He dosn't say women should be barefoot and pregnant. I couldn't see either how he would imply that women who are not pregnant are rejecting God?

--------------------
Emily's Voice

Posts: 822 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
greenhouse
Shipmate
# 4027

- Posted      Profile for greenhouse   Email greenhouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I alone in not seeing what people are getting so bothered about here? It seems that some people have decided in advance that they are going to disagree with everything the Jensens will ever do, and attempt to pick it to pieces.

Almost every Cathedral is strongly high Anglican (in the UK at least, I'm assuming the same is true down under). Why is it such a problem that ONE cathedral has a lower church, evangelical outlook? Especially in a diocese which appears to be as strongly evangelical as Sydney anyway.

Posts: 94 | From: North West | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

Perhaps you might like to think about just why more Jensen supporters do not post regularly on these boards; they generally don't like the "unchristian" ( not my definition) tone of the place.

Or better still, read the whole thread.

Without belabouring the point, it's as much about nepotism and high-handedness as much as the "evangelical" flavour of the Archdiocese (and I understand that not all the Anglican dioceses in Oz are necessarily "high").

It is also about whether these guys are representative of the world-wide Anglican communion.

Or so it seems to this Roman.

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

CJS
Shipmate
# 3503

- Posted      Profile for CJS   Email CJS   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QB]Perhaps you might like to think about just why more Jensen supporters do not post regularly on these boards; they generally don't like the "unchristian" ( not my definition) tone of the place.[qb]

Or perhaps they are 'generally' allergic to sweeping generalisations and stereotypes.

[fixed code]

[ 06. June 2003, 13:59: Message edited by: Scot ]

Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The reasons why many people find the Jensens' behaviour worrying include the following:
1. They seem to think they have a monopoly on the truth.
2. They appear to practice nepotism.
3. They are pastorally insensitive to the point of doing real pastoral damage.
4. Their behaviour undermines the proclamation of the Gospel as it actually builds barriers which prevent people hearing of the offer of grace and forgiveness.
5. They are intolerant of any other Christian tradition than their own and take active steps to suppress other styles of Christianity.
6. They seem to promulgate an unbiblical view of the subservience of women.
7. They seem to have designs on muscling in on other parts of the Anglican Communion including England and spreading the problems they have created in Sydney here.
8. They operate as naive fundamentalists and are therefore far less 'Biblical' than they claim.

Apart from these minor quibbles, I'm all for them.

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
shareman
Shipmate
# 2871

quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mysterium:
quote:
Originally posted by shareman:
... the Orthodox for 2000 years, give or take a few centuries, have been receiving bread and wind mixed from a spoon which is used to lift the Sacrament out of the chalice.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
Ooops! [Embarrassed] Preview post is NOT my friend! I reread this way too many times. You wouldn't buy, I suppose, that was making some obscure allusion to the Spirit? No, didn't think so!. Of course, what I meant to say was bread and WINE. Just God's way of telling me not to be so pompous, or perhaps it's a revealed truth! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Asdara
Shipmate
# 4533

- Posted      Profile for Asdara   Email Asdara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know I hope one day for Paganism at large to have the community and the clergy and the whole thing going on for the younger people and such. We won't be "looking" for members ect (against the creed) but it would be nice to have a structure beyond our backyards... but now that I see this post it all seems so political and... I'm not sure it would be a good thing after all. [Tear]

--------------------
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 239 | From: Illinios | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Couldn't someone just bring along a large cup to the cathedral (there must be lots of discarded chalices floating around Sydney)? You all pour your individual servings into it and proceed as normal. Real lay initiative must fit with the Jensen view of the church. [Two face]

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Now this is good. This is very good indeed. Cos the next step is that he is going to help women get over their rejection of God by ensuring that they are with child. I can't think of a better man for the job.

Good women of Sydney: Do it for Australia.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps you might like to think about just why more Jensen supporters do not post regularly on these boards; they generally don't like the "unchristian" ( not my definition) tone of the place.

Not necessarily. If you were a Jensen supporter would you feel comfortable admitting it here? You wouldn't exactly expect a warm reception would you? Maybe a lot of people just keep quiet about this to avoid pointless conflict, and concentrate on other topics instead.

This post may or may not reflect my personal standpoint - make of it what you will [Wink]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

You bet your sweet bippy I would, Gracious Rebel. I would even do so if I were an admirer of my own RC Archbishop of Sydney; it just happens I'm not.

After all, the audience is virtual.

But then, 20 years of neighbourhood with Jensen minor's quondam church (St Matthias, Centennial Park) and 33 years' acquaintance with the style of bigotry promulgated by him and his elder brother is hardly conducive to winning my "support".

There are far better Nonconformists than they.

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
quote:

Now this is good. This is very good indeed. Cos the next step is that he is going to help women get over their rejection of God by ensuring that they are with child. I can't think of a better man for the job.

Good women of Sydney: Do it for Australia.

ROFLMAOPIP [Killing me]
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I happen to be an admirer of the Jensens, and have said so before on these boards, and I'm not embarassed to say so. But they aren't exactly my favourite topic of conversation, there are more exciting things to discuss, and I can't see the point in talking about something which will lead to unproductive (and boring) discussion. But we do exist and are willing to say so. Hope I haven't offended anyone.
shareman
Shipmate
# 2871

quote:
Originally posted by junior fool:
I happen to be an admirer of the Jensens, and have said so before on these boards, and I'm not embarassed to say so. But they aren't exactly my favourite topic of conversation, there are more exciting things to discuss, and I can't see the point in talking about something which will lead to unproductive (and boring) discussion. But we do exist and are willing to say so. Hope I haven't offended anyone.

I live in the, to you, antipodes, so what I know of the Jensens is what I read in the posts of those posting here, and the press, often that linked to by people posting here. They don't seem to have a very vocal following on these boards.

I'm am genuinely interested to know what you find about them to admire. Not much that I've read is admirable, but that is an admittedly one-sided understanding. If what's said on the boards is off-balance, I, for one, would like to see some balance. If you answer, you can PM me if you don't want to start something boring and unhelpful. This isn't a troll.

--------------------

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

I second shareman, Junior Fool.

I'm in a position where there are lots of thing I would really like to admire about the Jensens. Like, +Peter's academic rigour and passion for mission, Phil's gift(?) for preaching, the way Michael has set up a vibrant inner-city church, the way Moore College takes the bible and the scriptures so seriously and so on.

But I can't because of their assertions to hold a monopoly on truth. They claim that Roman Catholics are "sub-Christian", charismatics don't believe the bible, Anglo-catholics don't preach the gospel, churches that ordain women are unbiblical, churches that support gay and lesbian people are damned, and other religions are "monstrous lies and deceits of Satan". By proclaiming that "relativism" is the great sin of modernity, I feel that they are sacrificing the tolerant and diverse society we value, and which values their point of view.

It's not that they're evangelicals, or that their name is Jensen, or that they don't like Anglo-catholics. It's their claim to hold monopoly on truth that is at the heart of the matter, and that is causing the greatest pain.

--------------------

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

quote:
That's a pretty funky use of both the word 'literally' and the word 'abomination'. I think you have just taken OTT to a whole new level.
Sorry to double post, but I only just saw this.

Literally: because I was in a sweat, seething with rage. This was partly over something else, and, at the time, it added fuel to the fire.

Abomination: anyone who treats people with such contempt is abominable.

--------------------

CJS
Shipmate
# 3503

quote:
Originally posted by jugular:
I second shareman, Junior Fool.

I'm in a position where there are lots of thing I would really like to admire about the Jensens. Like, +Peter's academic rigour and passion for mission, Phil's gift(?) for preaching, the way Michael has set up a vibrant inner-city church, the way Moore College takes the bible and the scriptures so seriously and so on.

But I can't because of their assertions to hold a monopoly on truth. They claim that Roman Catholics are "sub-Christian", charismatics don't believe the bible, Anglo-catholics don't preach the gospel, churches that ordain women are unbiblical, churches that support gay and lesbian people are damned, and other religions are "monstrous lies and deceits of Satan". By proclaiming that "relativism" is the great sin of modernity, I feel that they are sacrificing the tolerant and diverse society we value, and which values their point of view.

It's not that they're evangelicals, or that their name is Jensen, or that they don't like Anglo-catholics. It's their claim to hold monopoly on truth that is at the heart of the matter, and that is causing the greatest pain.

I have heard both Peter and Philip Jensen speak in various contexts dozens of times each. I have never heard either of them assert to have a monopoly on truth. I have heard them present arguments for things they believe to be true and present arguments against things that they believe to be untrue. This has included a critique of Catholic, Charismatic, Anglo-Catholic and liberal theology. It has included a critique of aspects of modernism. I have heard both of them identify issues or questions which they are not sure about or on which they have been pursuaded to change their minds. I have seen Peter Jensen in dialogue with people with whom he disagrees and have seen him interact with grace and respect; with the 'old fashioned' tolerance that involved the ability to strenuously and vigorously disagree with someone's view while treating them with curtesy and respect as a person.

I have heard both of them occasionally make generalisations which I might not entirely agree with, but nothing as outrageous or unsubstantiated as those which frequently appear on these boards regarding the Jensens, the diocese of Sydney and evangelicals in general.

So there you go.

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

CJS, thankyou for providing a balance. The (to my mind) intolerant attitudes I outlined are clearly on record, both in the words and actions of Peter and Phillip, and thus not "outrageous and unsubstantiated".

What's more, I personally respect the right of the individual to hold these views if they so wish. I am grateful that the Jensens and Jensenists show tolerance and respect in the context of informed debate. However that still doesn't excuse the pain that has been caused to those who DON'T agree with them.

I think particularly of the Central Coast, Bathurst and Orange parishes told that they don't preach the gospel. The Cathedral congregation who have had their liturgical style destroyed arbitrarily. The women whose ministry has been derided and declared invalid. The Anglo-catholic clergy and parishes who have been treated like corrupt heathens.

The Ship of Fools is a place that values tolerance, diversity and Christian unrest. This is anathema to the Jensens. Is it therefore so surprising to find so many people who disagree with them?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016