homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Mormons Trying to Go Legit (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Mormons Trying to Go Legit
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pheonix:
I wonder which would have the strangest initiation rites though? [Snigger] My money is on the Latter DS having the weirder ones, but the Lamda DS being far more fun and amusing...

I can testify that some groups with "Lambda" in the name have some most exotic initiation rites. [Wink]

And we like it that way, too! [Razz]

(PS: Uncontrollably giggling at Rossweisse's suggestion of haunting... first Ender's Shadow and now this. Doomsday is nigh...)

David
has far, far more unusual underwear, too

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
texas.veggie - Could ya? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Snigger]
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Equinas
Shipmate
# 2907

- Posted      Profile for Equinas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Pursuant to another thread, but trying to keep the Wicked Thoughts here where they belong:

In the event that after my death someone undergoes "proxy baptism" into Mormonism, purportedly on my behalf, I hereby resolve to haunt that individual.

What do you think would be most effective? The pale and silent shade wagging a bony finger in reproof? A little classic poltergeist activity? (Tossing around the contents of the Holy Undies drawer, or messing with the treatise on how to "friendship" the neighbors, perhaps?) A hollow voice at midnight, offering disquisitions on the really bad art that adorns the most common edition of the Book of Mormon? (My favorite is the dude in the Trojan-Viking helmet.)

What are your thoughts?

[Devil]

Rossweisse // happy with my present affiliation, thank you very much

I'm thinking the most frightening apparition would be the ghost of the professional critic, pen in hand, dispensing written commentary on everything from the contents of the tossed underwear drawer to the art in the Book of Mormon, one's choice in music, haircut, whatnot. Reams of writings, appearing out of thin air, most unsettling. [Eek!]

--------------------
Linda

Posts: 567 | From: Deep South, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Equinas:
I'm thinking the most frightening apparition would be the... written commentary on everything from the contents of the tossed underwear drawer to the art in the Book of Mormon, one's choice in music, haircut, whatnot. Reams of writings, appearing out of thin air, most unsettling.

Don't forget the hideous fashion crime -- apparently mandated for Boy Missionaries -- of wearing ties with short-sleeved shirts. (If a tie is worn, the shirt should have long sleeves; if it's short-sleeved, it's not a dress shirt. And if you don't believe me, check with Paul Fussell, author of "Class.")

Come to think of it, somebody ought to be haunted just for that one fashion atrocity alone.

[Snigger]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a pair of mormon missionaries-on-bicycles yesterday, and they actually were wearing long-sleeved shirts. This on an 85F+ day. I was impressed! Maybe I'll convert! (jK!)

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Equinas
Shipmate
# 2907

- Posted      Profile for Equinas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
I saw a pair of mormon missionaries-on-bicycles yesterday, and they actually were wearing long-sleeved shirts. This on an 85F+ day. I was impressed! Maybe I'll convert! (jK!)

Reader Alexis

Maybe they bought the book.

--------------------
Linda

Posts: 567 | From: Deep South, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Equinas:
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
I saw a pair of mormon missionaries-on-bicycles yesterday, and they actually were wearing long-sleeved shirts....

Maybe they bought the book.
I suspect that Paul Fussell would not approve of the bicycles, either. He is a Master Curmudgeon.

Rossweisse // who is yet but a journeyman same (believe it or not!)

Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've now got access to that book I mentioned previously. It's titled Mormonism. A gold plated religion and is by Mike and Ann Thomas ISBN 1-898938-32-6

Anyway a lot of comments I remember from it have been covered here, but I'd thought I'd raise this gem.. Compare with Genesis and see which one is more believable. Oh btw this is from Journal of Discourses

quote:
Now hear it. O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He is Michael, The Arch-angel, the Ancient of days! about whom holy men have written and spoken- He is out father and our God and the only God with whom we have to do.
Ok... Now bones of contention with this piece, incidentally preached by Brigham Young and subsequently denied by the church until pointed out that it's in their writings and then the comment seems to have been that it's just his opionion...

Anyway this seems to claim that Adam is God. In that case how can he sin against himself? Surely that is a paradox? Also it clearly states that God is in the singular and only one. How then can they believe in more than one God i.e. men are resurrected as such?

The same applies to the teaching on polygamy... Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. No other church has altered its writings because of political views. It seems that the leadership of the mormon church must be blessed with some special Godly insight that allows them to change and contradict the scriptures as they please...

Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Pheonix:
...Also it clearly states that God is in the singular and only one. How then can they believe in more than one God i.e. men are resurrected as such? ...
It seems that the leadership of the mormon church must be blessed with some special Godly insight that allows them to change and contradict the scriptures as they please...

You answered your second question with your first! This is an infinitely flexible religion, and trying to pinpoint their beliefs on most subjects is like trying to nail a jelly.

Anyway, I think the standard line is something like, "The god of this world is the only god with whom we have to do" -- i.e., they're answerable to their three gods, and the rest of them are irrelevant to folks on this planet.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016