homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Atheists (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Atheists
Pete
Shipmate
# 88

- Posted      Profile for Pete   Email Pete   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering why atheists frequently seem to be hugely keen on debating/arguing with Christians - do they exert as much effort with regard to Hinduism or other deist faiths?

Assuming (perhaps falsely) that atheists also tend towards a "this life only, then you're gone" worldview, isn't it a bit strange to waste so much time engaging in this activity? Unless, of course, what primarily drives them is reaction AGAINST Christianity/God in some way - sort of Christophobia.

Any comments?

[ 10. March 2003, 02:12: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
A dog's not just for Christmas
There's plenty left on Boxing Day

Posts: 187 | From: Shrewsbury/Birmingham | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pete:

Most other major religions are very live-and-let-live and wait for you to come to them. Christianity invites argument. It is one of the most in-your-face religions that atheists come up against. It is the dominant paradigm of western culture and becomes a target for that reason.

Some thoughts, in no particular order:

• Many atheists are simply keen on philosophy and debate and are looking for a good challenge.
  • It is likely that some atheists are reacting to real or percieved insult and injury at the hands of the Church.
  • Atheists are like everyone else. Most live average lives with no particular desire for controversy. Others are dogmatic and evangelical in their atheism and will be glad to carry the fight to you.
  • There are people who just like to make other people miserable. Some atheists are like that as are some Christians.
  • Some atheists are simply pissed off by the "Turn or Burn!!" crap handed to them by ignorant Christians. Then it becomes a sport to taunt the bear by poking at it with a stick.
  • The atheist oftens encounters smug self-satisfaction, condescension and condemnation when dealing with Christians and so responds in kind. ***This board is a welcome exception.***

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly, I've noticed that the most militant atheists generally talk about God in the way that one talks about an ex after an acrimonious split. They can't bear to hear his name mentioned yet seize chances to be rude about him. It suggests to me that in a way it is a love affair gone wrong - unrealistic expectations to start with perhaps.
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there are atheists and other atheists....a bit like Christians I suppose.Some are of the live and let live school otheres want to convert you...

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
Some are of the live and let live school otheres want to convert you...

Why be mad? Don't you want to convert them?

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Akeldama
Shipmate
# 277

- Posted      Profile for Akeldama         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got friends who wouldn't even bother describing themselves as atheists as they never give the existence of God a single thought. But I was quite a militant anti-Christian (until finding faith in 1993) and I think that's because I was brought up in a strong Roman Catholic family and really resented missing Chopper Squad to go and sit in a draughty church hearing words that meant nothing to me. The schools I attended as a child never engaged the faith intellectually, you were just supposed to believe it. And I found, even at a very young age, I didn't believe a word of it. So you can imagine Sunday morning became a complete pain in the arse for me, as did Easter when we went to church nearly every day. So my lack of faith turned into real hatred of all things Christian. My parents weren't strict, but I still hated been dragged along to church to listen to some Octogenarian priest waffle and a choir of oldies singing terrible old hymns.
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Willyburger,

Thank you for those very insightful thoughts. They are a pleasure to read, and really answer the question for me.

Keep 'em coming!

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reason
Shipmate
# 648

- Posted      Profile for Reason     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete:
I was wondering why atheists frequently seem to be hugely keen on debating/arguing with Christians - do they exert as much effort with regard to Hinduism or other deist faiths?

I think willyburger's points are excellent. Personally, in regard to Pete's question posted above, I find that as an Atheist I do exert equal energy on other irrational belief systems.

Astrology, for example, gives many people enjoyment and some people claim to get good advice from it. I could say "Live and let live," but instead I feel compelled to reason with them, analyzing why they would believe in astrology, and yes, trying to talk them out of it!

In day to day living, there are countless irrational behaviors and beliefs that I find I'm always addressing, because as willyburger pointed out, I love debating. But also because irrational things seem to push a button in me, "setting me off."

See, I actually think that irrational belief systems are destructive and dangerous. I truly believe our rational mind, our sense of reason, is our most evolved attribute. Irrational thinking negates that quality, and so, I argue against Past-Life Regression, Christian Scientists, Tarot Card readers, Psychics, etc. I include Theism in this list as well.

Of course, if any of the above can show me evidence that their far-fetched claims have validity, I will be open to admitting error.

Posts: 129 | From: Heaven | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is one of the most in-your-face religions that atheists come up against
I'll agree with this. But I'll also venture that Christianity is a safe target. What's the worst an angry Christian is allowed to do? Love you? Pray for you? Avoid you? Hehe!

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

quote:
Originally posted by The Happy Coot:
I'll also venture that Christianity is a safe target. What's the worst an angry Christian is allowed to do? Love you? Pray for you? Avoid you? Hehe!

I will agree with that for the most part.

OTOH, here in the US, we have extremists who profess Christianity yet will plant bombs in abortion clinics.

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

At the risk of bad form by following my own post, I'd like to clarify that by "in your face," I meant philosophically.

And I'm not trying to paint Christians as dangerous extremists but make the point that Christianity doesn't automatically make every one of them non-violent.

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reason:
I truly believe our rational mind, our sense of reason, is our most evolved attribute.

Reason,

I agree that our rational faculties give us a higher standing than less evolved dumb animals. We are able to exert power over less rational parts of God's creation (or "our environment" if you prefer). However that power is not always exercised wisely, and we are damaging creation / nature / environment. Our splendid evolution doesn't seem to prevent us damaging our own life support system. For this we need, I believe, some sense of moral responsibility, which a higher faculty than mere reason. (Just as reason is a higher faculty than mere physicality).

It is noticeable that in the last 150 years the economy has wanted more and more people of reason - people with numerical or scientific abilites. But today's economy is looking for a more subtle yet sophisticated range of abilities - customer service, communictaion skills, creativity, relationship management, consultancy skills, telephone skills. The merely intellectual who cannot get on with others, sell his/her wares, influence, motivate etc is less in demand.

Reason is important but there is more to life.

(Of course, you, Reason, are important!)

I hope that makes some sense.

Pt

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reason
Shipmate
# 648

- Posted      Profile for Reason     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ptarmigan:
For this we need, I believe, some sense of moral responsibility, which is a higher faculty than mere reason.

Couldn't disagree more.

Morality is not a higher faculty than reason. Moral responsibility is simply the ability to be obedient to Laws created extrinsically, usually from God. Reason, on the other hand, determines what is moral and ethical in the first place.

From Reason, Ethics are created. And living up to those ethics is how we can achieve our greatest good.

Your post, ptarmigan, illustrates this point. It's through your wonderful ability to reason that you are aware of how we are destroying our environment, etc. And it's through reason that we create ways to avoid such catastrophies.

Don't get me wrong....I'm all for Ethics. But morals? I don't think they do people much good, really. If someone wants to make a graven image of the Lord Thy God, that's an immoral act, but honestly, I don't think it does that much harm.

SO we use REASON to take a clear moral absolute such as that commandment and basically over-ride it. Without reason, we'd still be slaughtering animals to appease God. It's reason that led us out of the Dark Ages. Moral absolutism is what led us there.

David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Couldn't disagree more.

Right back at you.

quote:
Morality is not a higher faculty than reason. Moral responsibility is simply the ability to be obedient to Laws created extrinsically, usually from God. Reason, on the other hand, determines what is moral and ethical in the first place.

You're right here - morality is not a higher faculty than reason. Morality isn't even a faculty. However, aligning moral responsibility with God is erroneous. God may be one source of morality if you believe such a being exists, and there are certainly others. Unfortunately (as I'll explain), "reason" isn't one of them.

quote:
From Reason, Ethics are created. And living up to those ethics is how we can achieve our greatest good.

Here's the first problem. While I agree that ethics source from reason, you need to start with something else; before you can conclude that A is good and B isn't, and thus create an ethic that says A should be normative, you need to decide what "good" actually represents.

That's morality. It's source is irrelevant (at least for the purposes of this argument), but it must exist in order for reason to be able to create ethics.

quote:
Your post, ptarmigan, illustrates this point. It's through your wonderful ability to reason that you are aware of how we are destroying our environment, etc. And it's through reason that we create ways to avoid such catastrophies. p

Why bother? "reason" tells me the Earth will in most probability be able to support me for the rest of my life - it certainly will unless I give up smoking soon - so what difference does it make to me? Following that ethic won't improve my life even a little bit. Perhaps I need to decide why it's ethical in the first place. That means examining the underlying morality.

quote:
Don't get me wrong....I'm all for Ethics. But morals? I don't think they do people much good, really. If someone wants to make a graven image of the Lord Thy God, that's an immoral act, but honestly, I don't think it does that much harm.

Is it immoral or merely proscribed for other reasons? Careful not to juxtapose morality with ethics here. It's easy to do.

quote:
SO we use REASON to take a clear moral absolute such as that commandment and basically over-ride it. Without reason, we'd still be slaughtering animals to appease God. It's reason that led us out of the Dark Ages. Moral absolutism is what led us there.

Oh yes, those ancients, they didn't have a clue, did they? Bunch of morons. Not one of them could think. Lucky for that fantastic Modern invention Reason (capital "R"). It's a shame that Socrates never knew what an ignorant dolt he was.

Sorry, chronological bigotry such as this sets me off. Back to the point.

I don't see anyone arguing for moral absolutism here. If they are, they should realise that it's probably impossible to define an absolute. However, my point holds: ethics is not possible without an overriding morality. My friend, you've elevated "Reason" way above its actual usefulness. When reason can tell me why I shouldn't beat my children, or what type of music I prefer, then perhaps I'll revisit the scope of reason.

[damn typos]

[ 12 July 2001: Message edited by: David ]

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reason
Shipmate
# 648

David,

In many ways, I confess to losing the debate here. You make excellent points, and I have to acknowledge your intellectual prowess. I'm a little intimidated!

However, I think our difference of opinion is based on differing definitions of exactly what "morals" and "ethics" are. I always, (and I may be wrong this) assumed that morals are codes of conduct that are established not out of reasoned analysis, but out of direct commands from God.

I differentiated morals from ethics by believing Ethics to be codes of conduct based on reason.

So, in my view, homosexuality between two consenting adults may be immoral, but it's not unethical. It's only immoral because a Diety said so. When we try to come up with reasons for why this behavior would be unethical, we have no real arguments.

Your questioning of where ethics bases it's primary assumptions has me stumped, I'll admit that. But I don't think it's from a Diety's words. I believe in ages of reasoning, we conclude that senseless murder is wrong. I dont think we only know that because the gods told us so. But I'm on shaky ground here, and am willing to give you victory on this point!

David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No victory in Purgatory, just pointscoring.

I haven't actually out-argued you, I've out-defined you, if that makes sense. But then, my definitions of ethics and morality are probably equally as idiosyncratic, and I'm almost positive someone will be along shortly to correct me.

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Morality is intrinsic in all of us, and arises out of our sense of God - even if that is a sense of "not God" e.g. atheism. Maybe "sense of the existence of something other than ourselves that we have to coexist with" might be a better definition. The stronger our sense of this "other" the stronger our sense of what is intrinsically moral in a given situation.

Rationalising morality to formulate rules doesn't always work.

Ethics tends to be systematic, and more about trying to make explicit the rules that govern our behaviour in relation to our morality (can you derive "ought" from "is"). Ethics, to me is simply something to study, and doesn't have any bearing on our intrinsic morality. Morality is something we do, or aspire to, Ethics is simply dry study.

We may think killing is wrong, but how many of us would really hesitate if a child was being tortured. (don't go to deep into this). It is very very hard to overcome natural moral instincts with reason. You may rationalise your moral instincts to prove you really do have a reasonable morality, but in a situation of stress you would go with gut instinct, rather than sitting down and being reasonable.
So the way of changing this instinct is not directly thinking about morality, but by greater reference to "others" which is not limited to theism by any means.

Love
Angel

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete:

Assuming (perhaps falsely) that atheists also tend towards a "this life only, then you're gone" worldview, isn't it a bit strange to waste so much time engaging in this activity? Unless, of course, what primarily drives them is reaction AGAINST Christianity/God in some way - sort of Christophobia.

Any comments?

I think that this has a lot to do with the fact that atheism is not a position that can be adopted due to reason alone.

It is impossible to disprove the existance of something, so therefore it requires an additional non-rational motivation to adopt the position of atheism.

In my experience, this is generally a strong reactionary emotion. I suppose it possible that there could be dispassionate atheists who have adopted atheism as a working hypothesis, however, I have never come across one who is not motivated by a bad experience of religion.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
I have never come across one who is not motivated by a bad experience of religion.

And it is not difficult or unusual to have these. I think that this adds to the reasons listed above. I would like to add another.

I was so impressed with Willyburger's list above that I have refrained from adding what I actually think. But since no one else has mentioned it, I'll throw it in.

I agree with everything that has been written so far. I also think, however, that there is an element of Christianity being attacked for the same reason Christ was.

Jesus taught the truth, which made those who disliked the truth uncomfortable. He asked people to give up their evil ways, which made people involved in evil deeds unhappy and angry. Evil spirits especially hated Him on sight, because they knew who He was and what He stood for.

I doubt that these factors figure prominently in the conscious thought of most atheists. Previous comments have pointed out plenty of other motivations, and I don't attribute bad motives to atheists in general - perhaps especially because of the sins of Christianity. But the forces of hell are, I think, happy to use whatever justification they can to deny the truth.

Connected with this thought is that I believe people have a natural resistance to controls on their behavior, and a natural inclination to believe only what they can see and touch. Both of these work against religion, and make atheism an attractive alternative.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was an atheist for some years (from about age 9 through to 15) but NOT because I'd had a bad experience of religion as such. It was because I was interested in prehistoric life/palaeontolgy, and what featured right at the start of the Bible seemed at the time such 'rubbish' compared to what I knew of the evolution of life. Then I asked God, whom I didn't 'believe in' at the time, to 'do something for me' when I was 15. I believe He did what I'd asked for., and had promised I would read a Gideon's New Tesytment and pray every day, so I started to do this (managed to do so fairly consistently for a year or two!) and consequently grew in knowledge of Christianity. I never in effect let go, thouh at what point I'd say I actually 'became a Christian' I wouldn't like to say.

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
shadow-lover
Shipmate
# 157

- Posted      Profile for shadow-lover   Email shadow-lover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have never come across one who is not motivated by a bad experience of religion.

I have. Those motivated by a bad experience of life. As I said to someone in the cafe the other day, its quite a hard intuitive leap to make from:
"My life sucks"
To:
"There is a God who loves me".

Admittedly, a lot of the people I know who feel like this had their views confirmed by a bad experience of religion, but in most cases that was not the cause.

Let's face it, atheism can make a lot of sense. It makes a lot of sense to feel "My life sucks and no one gives a blink, therefore there is nothing out there".

And there are those who do not and cannot understand love, because they have never experienced it. If your whole life has been about people using each other, and love has always been a conditional reward of success, then how can you believe in a God that loves you for no reason? The Christian God is therefore a very good target - Christians clearly haven't seen this important truth.

Once upon a time, when I was a very outspoken atheist, it was two things that made me argue with Christians especially. Firstly, they all believed in this God who loved them, and didn't understand that if there were such a God, He must have an ulterior motive. Secondly, they tried to tell me at great length that He loved me too, which was clearly nonsense.

<Looks faintly embarrassed>
Also, it wasn't fair that all these people with their easy lives and their warm, happy God feelings should be allowed to get away with living in a dream world, when the rest of us couldn't.

Yes, well.

Peace,

The Shadow Lover

--------------------
The Shadow Lover

Nam et si ambulavero in medio umbrae mortis non timebo mala...

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:
I was an atheist for some years (from about age 9 through to 15) but NOT because I'd had a bad experience of religion as such. It was because I was interested in prehistoric life/palaeontolgy, and what featured right at the start of the Bible seemed at the time such 'rubbish' compared to what I knew of the evolution of life.

I would beg to differ, and include your experience in 'bad experiences of religion'.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to point out that when I became a Christian, I rather left to one side the 'conflict' between Evolution and Genesis, and then under the influence of a friend, became an 'Old Earth' Creationist. I have moved since then to an evolution-with-the-unseen- hand-of-God-involved position, though I do firmly believe that the comet or meteorite at the end of the Cretaceous was not an accident but was 'sent', if you like, by the Almighty.

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

quote:
Originally posted by shadow-lover:
I have. Those motivated by a bad experience of life. As I said to someone in the cafe the other day, its quite a hard intuitive leap to make from:
"My life sucks"
To:
"There is a God who loves me".

Admittedly, a lot of the people I know who feel like this had their views confirmed by a bad experience of religion, but in most cases that was not the cause.

Let's face it, atheism can make a lot of sense. It makes a lot of sense to feel "My life sucks and no one gives a blink, therefore there is nothing out there".

Sorry, I have to disagree.

Atheism generally comes with an emotional agenda. Surely "My life sucks - therefore God doesn't exist" includes "(although he ought to)" as a subtext, and is therefore A Bad Experience Of Religion.

--------------------

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

My point is that atheism is an emotionally easy and intellectually
difficult stance. Anyone who is being rigorously rational would surely
adopt a position of agnosticism in preference to atheism.

--------------------

John Collins
Shipmate
# 41

- Posted      Profile for John Collins   Author's homepage   Email John Collins   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suppose it possible that there could be dispassionate atheists who have adopted atheism as a working hypothesis, however, I have never come across one who is not motivated by a bad experience of religion.

I have met lots. I would claim to be one such.

The subtle difference between what I and most atheists think and what you are arguing is this.

I lack belief that there is a god or gods.

I don't definitely believe "There is no god."

There is a difference. Think of it in terms of something that matters less "I don't think there's life on Mars" -v- "I think there's no life on Mars". In the second case someone going to Mars and coming back with a specimen would actually prove the speaker wrong.

--------------------
John Collins

Posts: 179 | From: Welwyn Garden City, Herts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

quote:
Originally posted by John Collins:
I have met lots. I would claim to be one such.

The subtle difference between what I and most atheists think and what you are arguing is this.

I lack belief that there is a god or gods.

I don't definitely believe "There is no god."

Then are you not an agnostic, and not an atheist?

--------------------

John Collins
Shipmate
# 41

- Posted      Profile for John Collins   Author's homepage   Email John Collins   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No. An agnostic is someone who says he/she can't ever know one way or another.

To go back to my life on Mars example, you could (in principle) resolve the question once and for all by going to Mars and looking. So I wouldn't be "agnostic" about life on Mars. It would be possible to find out.

--------------------
John Collins

Posts: 179 | From: Welwyn Garden City, Herts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

quote:

Sorry, I don't think that was clear. What I meant was:

Agnosticism = absence of belief in God.

Atheism = belief in the non-existence of God.

which would seem to categorise most would-be atheists as actual agnostics.

--------------------

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

quote:
Originally posted by John Collins:
No. An agnostic is someone who says he/she can't ever know one way or another.

To go back to my life on Mars example, you could (in principle) resolve the question once and for all by going to Mars and looking. So I wouldn't be "agnostic" about life on Mars. It would be possible to find out.

But it would not be possible to disprove the existence of life on Mars. So if you didn't find life on Mars, you couldn't rationally dis-believe in it. However, you could take the step of faith that there was no life on Mars, because you hadn't found any!

--------------------

Reason
Shipmate
# 648

I am not an Atheist due to a negative experience with Christianity. Quite to the contrary, my church experience was quite comforting. Leaving the fold and embracing my own truth was difficult. If I was to make the "emotionally easy" decision, I would have remained a Christian.

I agree with John Collins on the definitions of Atheist vs. Agnostic. I see anyone who believes in a God or gods as being a Theist. In contrast, a person who doesn't have a belief in a God or gods is an Atheist. As an Atheist, I am NOT saying definitively "There is no God." I'm instead merely acknowledging my lack of belief.

I think many Atheists call themselves "Agnostics" because it sounds friendlier or something. If an Agnostic's position is "I don't know whether or not there is a God," then I'd say I am an Agnostic.

Someone suggested that maybe Atheists are Atheists because they are unhappy people. Quite to the contrary, that's why I was a Christian. I had become a Christian because I was at such a low point in my life that I needed the comfort of an Imaginary Friend to see me through it.

And I don't doubt that if hard times come my way again, I might become a Theist, not because I think it's literally true, but because my fragile human psyche needs the illusion of one.

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

quote:
I agree with John Collins on the definitions of Atheist vs. Agnostic. I see anyone who believes in a God or gods as being a Theist. In contrast, a person who doesn't have a belief in a God or gods is an Atheist. As an Atheist, I am NOT saying definitively "There is no God." I'm instead merely acknowledging my lack of belief.

OK, I'm prepared to acknowledge that perhaps I'm adopting Humpty-Dumpty's approach of taking words to mean what I want them to mean, and backing down on this point!

--------------------

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

Ham'n'Eggs:
quote:
Anyone who is being rigorously rational would surely adopt a position of agnosticism in preference to atheism.

From Cambridge dictionary Online:

quote:
atheist noun -- someone who believes that God or gods do not exist

agnostic noun, adjective -- (someone) not knowing, or believing that it is impossible to know, whether a god exists

Other dictionaries give subtle variations on these, but it looks to me that atheism is addressing faith and agnosticism is referring to knowledge.

So an atheist can either say "I don't believe in God" or I believe there is no God."

An agnostic would say "I don't know there is a God" or " I can't know there is a God."

Subtle but important differences. Or am I just repeating what everyone else has said?

It doesn't appear that atheism and agnosticism are mutually exclusive. Wouldn't agnostics, by definition, express a disbelief in God? An atheist, however, may or may not base his belief on agnosticism.

So, here's the kicker: Is agnosticism and theism mutually exclusive? After all, one may say that you can't know there is a God, yet believe in one. Just a thought.

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Reason
Shipmate
# 648

quote:
Originally posted by willyburger:
Is agnosticism and theism mutually exclusive.

I think in a sense it is[ possible to be both a theist and an atheist at the same time!

While I don't believe in actual gods of the supernatural that answer prayers or respond to ritual dances, I DO believe in Gods as metaphors. That is to say, I think Gods exist in the way the Santa Claus exists; as a story which can carry meaning in it. I can believe in God as a metaphor for our own creativity, judgement, and destruction, while simultaneously proclaiming no belief whatsoever in an actual Diety.

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We seem to be playing Wittgensteins word Games with atheist and Agnostic.
But anyway in for a penny in for a Euro
quote:
I can believe in God as a metaphor for our own creativity, judgement, and destruction, while simultaneously proclaiming no belief whatsoever in an actual Diety.

This not how I would define theism but it is close to what I think Don Cuppitt was saying.

I think i agree that Atheism is a faith system.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
We seem to be playing Wittgensteins word Games with atheist and Agnostic.

I think i agree that Atheism is a faith system.

I was trying to illustrate something I've been thinking about for a while now. I'm convinced that theism and atheism are belief systems. I'm also convinced that God cannot be proven to exist by rational means. You, Reason, and maybe John Collins would call belief in God irrational. (correct me if I'm wrong)

It was proposed by a friend of mine, a committed Theist, that while belief is non-rational, it is not necessarily irrational. His major point being that existence and reality cannot be fully known through rational means; that the non-rational aspect is at least as valid as the rational. This non-rational aspect would be completely subjective and internalized to the believer.

Now while I can't prove that God exists by rational means, neither can I disprove it, so I would have to at least admit to and consider the possibility.

I'm having fun dancing around the Fideism Tree.

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I'm also convinced that God cannot be proven to exist by rational means.

I would agree with this. In fact I consider it an article of my faith that God does not show Himself in any provable way, in order to preserve human freedom. (Convenient, heh, heh.)

But in one way, it is illogical to reject a belief in God.

Life passes very quickly - and then what? Maybe nothing.

But things such as near-death experiences strongly suggest that conscious existence continues in an afterlife. Not proof, of course. There are alternative explanations, but they are evidence none-the-less.

Logically, if you believe in God and live according to some religion - and then there is nothing when you die, what will be lost?

But if the reverse is true, and there turns out to be a heaven and a hell manifestly ruled by God - well there you are, um, maybe not in such a good spot. Or maybe with a merciful God it doesn't matter - but it just might.

A fun thing to think about - except that one or the other really is true, and within a very few years you are going to know.

The logical thing would be to be prepared.

But I guess you could make the same argument for building a bomb shelter.

--------------------

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

Isn't that known as Pascal's Wager?

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Reason
Shipmate
# 648

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

If you believe in God and live according to some religion - and then there is nothing when you die, what will be lost?

But if the reverse is true, and there turns out to be a heaven and a hell manifestly ruled by God - well there you are, um, maybe not in such a good spot. Or maybe with a merciful God it doesn't matter - but it just might.

Freddy,

Accepting God as a sort of insurance policy? Is that what Pascal's Wager is?

Well, here's my response to that: If I accept God merely to obtain the goodies He offers and avoid the punishments he threatens, I am nothing more than a shallow sycophant. Anyone with any integrity would refuse such bribes and threats. For example:

Christ was in the wilderness, and Satan made him an offer; Christ could have everything if he would simply get down on his knees and worship Satan. And Christ said something to the effect of "No way, Jose."

And that's what I say to your proposal of accepting bribes from a supposed God. Essentially, religions have created a God that uses the same tactic as Satan did in the wilderness. "I'll give you everything if you bow down and worship me." But worse than that, there's an implicit threat: "And if you don't, I'll throw you into the Lake of Fire!"

But if I accepted God's threat/bribe simply to save my own hide from the tortures of Hell, I'd be losing my integrity in the process. I might make it to Heaven, but I will have been untrue to myself in the process, and find myself in eternity with a God I don't respect.

How can I not respect this God? Well....if He is a God that is going to punish people simply for being true to their own reason and intellect, He's not much of a God. He's more of a Big Meanie.

And if God is NOT a Big Meanie, well then, as you said, He'll welcome me with open arms regardless.

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
But if I accepted God's threat/bribe simply to save my own hide...

Well, when you put it that way it does sound pretty bad, doesn't it!

Still, something happens when you die - and I consider near-death experiences reasonable evidence that consciousness continues. I wouldn't think about this as a threat or a reward, it's just that expectations, such as that life does not end at death, have an inevitable effect on how a person thinks about life.

Still, it is true that a person has to be true to what they believe, and not be swayed by the opinions of others, and especially not by fear.

--------------------

The sceptical Atheist
Shipmate
# 379

- Posted      Profile for The sceptical Atheist   Email The sceptical Atheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want to be accused of crusading, but I must point out that there is a very valid reasonable position that does not rely on faith to be an atheist.

There is no objective falsifiable evidence.

No-one has produced any. That means it is reasonable to say that there is no God. I will admit it may be wrong, but it does not need faith to say that.

I will change my opinion if somebody can show me how it is reasonable to accept the existence of something for which there is no evidence. Obviously, there will be no empirical grounds, but what about a philosophical argument to show that something that I accept as true I have no evidence for.

Now, I am an atheist because I have thought very deeply about the subject and come to the conclusion that there is no God.

I actually find it insulting to be told that it is a faith of mine or that agnosticism is more intellectually rigorous. It isn't. In some cases, agnosticism is intellectual laziness. It is not being willing to think the issues through. Not in all cases, though.

I will get off my soap box now. Everyone is more than welcome to ignore the above.

Now, onto confession time. My wife became a Christian over a year ago. She has been trying to convert me in a subtle way. To be fair to her, I have taken the trouble to seek out people that could answer the questions that I have. Her knowledge of the Bible isn't as great as mine (from my Evolution/Creation debating) and she isn't as well read on philosophy (but she has common sense, an awesome ability to keep our three children and me well fed/clothed etc and she also has a life) Hence, me ending up here.

It is impossible to categorise atheists, who, by their nature do not take a single authority as true. I have heard trying to organise atheists described as like trying to herd cats.

--------------------
"Faith in God and seventy-five cents will get you a cup of coffee."
[Wayne Aiken]

Posts: 293 | From: Staffordshire | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Not to mention this three times in three e-mails in a row (maybe a crusade in itself!)(last time I promise), but aren't near-death experiences "objective falsifiable evidence"?

Plenty of credible studies have been done (Morse, Ring, etc.) which show that these experiences are amazingly consistent regardless of the beliefs or culture of the individuals involved.

I'm not saying that they are proof of anything. I also grant that there are reasonable alternative explanations besides the reality of life after death - such as that they are chemically based halucinations. I'm only saying that they are evidence that is both objective and falsifiable. Obviously the experiences themselves are not objective, only the consistent patterns of the reports.

This isn't direct evidence that there is a God - but it is evidence of a closely related concept, eternal life.

--------------------

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

SA, my apologies. I meant no insult. Neither was I trying to categorise individual atheists, per se, but put some definition to shades of atheistic and agnostic positions. I'm as interested in finding out where I fit in that spectrum as anything else. If atheism is categorically uncategorizable how can such a position be discussed at all?

It's true that some people come to whatever position they hold through laziness but that holds for theists, atheists and agnostics equally. You obviously have done much thinking about the issue. You disbelieve in God because empirical evidence cannot be produced. Fair enough, but I gather you do not absolutely believe there is no God?

These are subtle differences but I believe they are able to be categorized. (as I said before, useful for purposes of discussion) I would propose the two views might be labeled hard vs. soft atheism. If those categories are acceptable, then I would state that hard atheism is definately a belief. Soft atheism would admittedly be less definable.

My original exercise was to posit whether the three views are mutually exclusive. It seems to me that someone who does not believe in God because of a lack of empirical evidence has arrived at atheism through agnosticism. I was trying to sharpen the distinction between belief and knowledge.

Sorry for all the categories.

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

quote:
Originally posted by The sceptical Atheist:
There is no objective falsifiable evidence.

No-one has produced any. That means it is reasonable to say that there is no God. I will admit it may be wrong, but it does not need faith to say that.

I have to disagree. Logically, it may bereasonable to say that it is possible/probable that there is no God. It is unreasonable to categorically say that there is no God, as this is not a logical conclusion. Lack of evidence for the existence of something is not proof of its non-existence.

--------------------

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

quote:
I'm also convinced that God cannot be proven to exist by rational means.

Does anyone have an opinion on the position taken by Josh McDowell in "Evidence That Demands A Verdict" (ISBN 1-872059-05-8) that belief in Christianity is entirely reasonable, and may be argued on a completely logical basis? I must admit to being unable to spot any obvious flaws in his arguments...

--------------------

Reason
Shipmate
# 648

quote:
Lack of evidence for the existence of something is not proof of its non-existence.

I OWN AN INVISIBLE THIRTY-FOOT FIRE-BREATHING DRAGON. HE LIVES ON THE ROOF OF MY APARTMENT. I AM THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN HEAR WHAT HE SAYS AND ONLY I CAN SEE HIM. LACK OF EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF OF MY DRAGON'S NON-EXISTENCE.

EVERYBODY, QUICK! GIVE ME MONEY TO BUY MY DRAGON FOOD! IF YOU DON'T, HE'S GONNA BLOW FIRE ALL OVER NEW YORK!!!!!!

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

Only if I get get a ride. He is a flying dragon, right? They are the only kind that one can rationally believe in.

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

Wait. Would this dragon go by the name of Charlie?

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

quote:
EVERYBODY, QUICK! GIVE ME MONEY TO BUY MY DRAGON FOOD! IF YOU DON'T, HE'S GONNA BLOW FIRE ALL OVER NEW YORK!!!!!!

Now let me see, what's the balance of probability here...

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and what part of new york? can you aim him towards gracie mansion?

(the mayors residence, for those not in the know)

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016