homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Theological Standpoint on Suicide (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Theological Standpoint on Suicide
MadKaren
Shipmate
# 1033

- Posted      Profile for MadKaren   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesuitical Lad:
It's a sin which, if committed with full consent and undertanding etc. (i.e. fulfilling all the criteria for a sin to be mortal) can not, by its nature, be repented of. I think that would be the main problem.

Are you sure that a mortal sin cannot be repented of. Articles 1855 and 1856 of the catechism suggest otherwise.

MadKaren

[fixed code]

[ 27. May 2003, 19:08: Message edited by: Scot ]

--------------------
--
Why do people who claim to love God embarrass him in public?

Posts: 866 | From: Jumping along the line between genius and insanity.... | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

- Posted      Profile for Xavierite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Madkaren,

Mortal sin per se can be repented of, yes. But Catholics don't believe in the possibility of posthumous repentance.

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A classic example of a truly evil use of suicide was Babby Sands, the IRA prisoner who along with others starved himself to death in the Maze in the 80s. He is an example of the sort of person who deserves the strictures of Chesterton in full force.

By contrast those of us who have contemplated it as a result of severe emotional turmoil are in a totally different category. There is value in us knowing that sort of view - because it acts as an additional barrier against letting the idea play on the mind; there is a clear need for clearer preaching about what is so wrong with it. But ultimately we need real emotional support and encouragement - which somehow I did find in the crisis I was in, and it is now some 5 years since the crisis struck that led me to such unhelpful thoughts.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Boam:
There are a number of blanket statements being made about suicide witht the implicit presumption that all suicide is basically a choice made by very depressed people.
A number of people have taken a more nuanced position and suggest that suicide in the context of mental and physical illness is categorically different than suicide by a healthy person.

I have known quite a number of people who have committed suicide. It is impossible to know with any certainty whether they were mentally ill or healthy. You are right that this nuanced position is completely reasonable.

In the cases I know of the circumstances were all quite various, but all of them were depressed. Why would a person do this if they weren't unhappy - except perhaps to keep vital information from falling into the hands of the enemy. I'm not sure what the problem is with this blanket assumption.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

Look at the history and practises of the Stoics, and you'll see it's an assumption which fails in some cases. Same goes for certain Oriental cultures.
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for the Chesterton, ChastMastr, what can I say: [Projectile]

"an insult to all women" [Waterworks] [brick wall] [Killing me] [Projectile]

Actually I don't think Chesterton was singling out one gender in any way... [Confused]

And other than that you'd apparently not agree, can't figure out what you're trying to say with that array of smilies. Hard to argue with a smilie. [Help]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's my take. I'm speaking as a pastor who has buried more vicitms of suicide than any other causes of death, and as someone who tries to base his worldview, and theology, on Scripture. I'll keep the quotes as short as possible to avoid making this post too long. I know these don't answer all the existential problems or all the ethical ones, but I have found them helpful in making sense of what I have seen others go through and of my own feelings.

In Philippians 1:23-25 Paul says "my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better". This is often the reason given by christians for committing suicide. However Paul goes on to say "to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain…". So Paul seems to conclude that if he is still alive, it is because God has his reasons, and it is not up to him to contest this. It may seem impossible for a suicidal person to hold to such a position. However 2 Corinthians 1:8 Paul says of himself "we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself". I think it's a fair implication that Paul himself felt suicidal on at least one occasion.

2 Corinthians 5:1-10 also seems to me to address suicidal feelings. In v4 Paul summarises his argument of v2-3 thus: "While we are still in this tent [our body] we groan, being burdened - not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed".
This admits to the suffering of the human condition and the desire to die (v2 "to put on our heavenly dwelling").

I find it tremendously helpful that this tension is acknowledged within the christian faith. It's part of our lot, and a lot of triumphalistic models of christianity (the failure of which may actually lead some to suicide) would do well to take note of this passage.

However, a distinction is made between wishing to be 'unclothed' and being 'further clothed'. My understanding is that the christian hope is for a resurrection of the body which will occur at the return of Jesus. Before then christians who have died will be 'with the Lord' but without their resurrection bodies – a peaceful state of existence but not a consummate one and not seen here as a legitimate object of hope. Reaching this state before our time will not realise our hope (consider the souls of the martyrs in Rev 6:9-10 who still cry out "how long, O Lord…?").

Paul concludes the passage in 2 Cor 5 again recognising the suffering inherent in not yet being at the resurrection but saying that nonetheless our aim must be to please Jesus, and reminding his readers that their reward in heaven will be on the basis of what they do here on earth, in the body.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Look at the history and practises of the Stoics, and you'll see it's an assumption which fails in some cases. Same goes for certain Oriental cultures.

Do you mean something along the lines of Marcus Aurelius's exhortation to 'give life the slip, but by no means make a misfortune of it. If the room smokes I leave it, and there is an end..... etc'? Was it these kind of examples that made you think of the Chesterton quote?

I doubt, however, whether this is the usual approach for most people contemplating self-harm.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Never Conforming

Aspiring to Something
# 4054

- Posted      Profile for Never Conforming   Author's homepage   Email Never Conforming   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only person who sees significant difference between suicide and self harm? Are they always related?

Jo

--------------------
I used to poison Student Minds™ and am proud to have done so
Never Conforming in the Surreal World

Posts: 1419 | From: Oop Norf | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

- Posted      Profile for Jerry Boam   Email Jerry Boam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ChastMastr-

Reading this bit:
quote:
For it destroys all buildings: it insults all women. The thief is satisfied with diamonds; but the suicide is not: that is his crime. He cannot be bribed, even by the blazing stones of the Celestial City. The thief compliments the things he steals, if not the owner of them. But the suicide insults everything on earth by not stealing it.
I somehow got the idea from the bit which I've bolded that he was literally talking about women. I do realize that this is just an example of the sexist language of the day and that one is expected to pretend not to notice the stupid gender roles implied, but it disgusts me, hence the projectile smilie.

The following cryptic comment, all in smilies, was meant to indicate that the passage makes me feel mixed emotions including despair ( [Waterworks] ), frustration ( [brick wall] ), anger ( [Mad] ), and disgust ( [Projectile] ).

Sorry if that was confusing.

It may help you to understand this mix of responses if I tell you that in considering this topic I am thinking of a person I loved very much who, faced with a rapid descent into dimentia and an inevitable, agonizing, drawn out death, killed himself. I am also thinking of the other people who loved him and I'm imagining someone explaining to them that his actions were an insult to all women and little birdies and that he was worse than a thief, murderer, stalin, hitler or whatever other hyperbolic bull**** is stated or implied in that crap posted by JL. And the thought makes me feell angry, sad, frustrated and disgusted.

I feel a similar mix of emotions at the idea that God somehow needs or requires people to go through the loss of the ability to reason and a slow agonizing death, unless we are scrapping the idea that love is important to God and are instead supposing that God is a sadistic bastard who created the universe just to torture its inhabitants. And I do not believe that.

I can believe that such horrible diseases and deaths are an inevitable result of the nature of creation and that excluding their occurence would also prevent the development of created beings. But not that this should preclude us from mitigating the suffering of others or understanding their reaching their limits. But I'm probably a heretic anyway so don't mind me.

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Posts: 2165 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ThoughtCriminal
Shipmate
# 3030

- Posted      Profile for ThoughtCriminal   Email ThoughtCriminal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
this article and this one sum it up for me. I could tie it in with my theology, but I am not feeling sufficiently awake at this moment to do so. If I remember this thread in a couple of days' time, i will come back to it...

Also too tired to explain this in too much detail, but I think that on this issue there will be a very fundamental, possibly unrexolvable, split in opinion between a) those who have attempted suicide themselves, and b) those who have not attempted suicide themselves, but whose loved ones have. (I say this from experience as a member of group a) - those in group b) who i know tend to disagree extremely strongly with the articles linked above, but those in group a) who i know almost universally agree with them).

I cannot reccomend too strongly going to see (if possible) or reading (second best, but still amazing) the play "4:48 Psychosis", by Sarah Kane, for anyone who wants a true, non-pathologised understanding of a suicidal person's point of view.

I also find it interesting that Palestine and Islamic fundamentalism has not yet come up on this thread.

--------------------
"These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
15: Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night within his temple; and he who sits upon the throne will shelter them with his presence.
16: They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; the sun shall not strike them, nor any scorching heat.
17: For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd, and he will guide them to springs of living water; and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

Posts: 126 | From: Coventry | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HOSTLY NOTE OF CAUTION

Throwing a deliberately inflammatory statement into a charged thread and then clearing out indefinitely might be construed as trolling. Ladies, Gentlemen, and Others, please do not feed trolls.

Also, please take note of the Ship's policy which limits signatures to a maximum of four lines. Signatures found in violation of policy will be changed to something which amuses the hosts and admins, and then locked. Trust me, you don't want that.

scot
Purgatory Host

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank-you for the articles Thought Criminal. I will have to consider them more carefully before I can respond coherently, but I found them interesting.

Several years ago I had 5 friends commit suicide within an 18 month period. It was incredibly painful, especially the last death (the 3rd anniversary of which is on the 31st).

I don't think the lines between the opinions of those who have suicided (or attempted), and those who are left behind are that distinct, but as I said I need time to consider this further.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Caver
Shipmate
# 4392

- Posted      Profile for Caver   Email Caver   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Never Conforming:
Am I the only person who sees significant difference between suicide and self harm? Are they always related?

Jo

--------------------
Quote from Annie Day "Could be interested, picking people up on the way down." Now that never happens to me underground :-(

Posts: 104 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Caver
Shipmate
# 4392

- Posted      Profile for Caver   Email Caver   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Jo

Whoops sorry about the double posting, don't quite know what happened there.

I agree NC, I would see self harm as a means of coping that is not necessarily related to suicide at all. It may or may not have been discovered in an attempt to commit suicide, but that is almost besides the point. I can understand why many people who have no experience of self harming would see the two as related (I also have no experience of either). I think the difference between the two though lies in suicide being the result of not being able to cope whereas self harm is for some the means to cope.

--------------------
Quote from Annie Day "Could be interested, picking people up on the way down." Now that never happens to me underground :-(

Posts: 104 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caver:
quote:

Jo

Whoops sorry about the double posting, don't quite know what happened there.

I agree NC, I would see self harm as a means of coping that is not necessarily related to suicide at all. It may or may not have been discovered in an attempt to commit suicide, but that is almost besides the point. I can understand why many people who have no experience of self harming would see the two as related (I also have no experience of either).

There is, of course, a difference between people 'self-harming' - who have no intention of committing suicide, and those who harm themselves in order to commit suicide. I'm sorry if my trying to find another phrase to say 'suicide/attempted suicide' gave the impression that I was talking about something else altogether.

It is true that many people who 'self-harm' do it as a means of coping with unbearable situations and with no explicit expectation of ending their lives. But self-harming is not limited to cutting/burning etc oneself, serious and dangerous as that clearly is.

Many self-harmers use frequent overdoses of drugs/pills/alcohol etc as their long-term coping mechanism which is a kind of 'chronic suicidalism' where the cumulative effects of the abuse may finally result in death. And if one wanted to be pedantic, one might further argue that the ultimate in self-harming is suicide itself, however it is accomplished, intentional or not.

Nevertheless, in the context of my original post re: Marcus Aurelius, I did mean those who were contemplating harming themselves with the intention of death.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
Madkaren,

Mortal sin per se can be repented of, yes. But Catholics don't believe in the possibility of posthumous repentance.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church (para 2283):

quote:
We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity of salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.
Which would seem to indicate that the official position is not as clear cut as you make out.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
Originally posted by Professor Yaffle:
Which would seem to indicate that the official position is not as clear cut as you make out.

Not really. It's fairly established as Catholic teaching that with death the possibility of merit or demerit or conversion ceases, and that immediately after death the particular judgment takes place, in which, by a Divine Sentence of Judgment, the eternal fate of the deceased person is decided (yes, I am quoting!)

I'd take the Catechism passage as meaning that God may give people the help between their committing the act and expiring as a result of it to turn back to Him, if they will to. That's what I've always hoped for for those people I knew who committed suicide.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a former attempted suicide I point you all to what Scandal said:

quote:
Originally posted by Scandal:
Like Rowen I have been too busy ministering to those left behind in pain, distress and feeling terrible failures becaue they hadn't seen this coming or prevented it happening. You get close to the family when you help scrub up the mess left behind as they blow their brains out!

But theologically??? Thou shalt not murder is pretty clear in the 10 commandments, but can you murder yourself?

I can only conclude from my pastoral ministry that those who kill themeselves do so because they can no longer handle the world and its lack of care or feeling on their behalf. They die hopeless and that is a deperately sad reflection on those of us who survive .... for ALL of us have failed to help them see that their life does matter, that there is something worth living for.

I have often spoken to the relatives and friends left behind of how God would view the suicide of their loved one, because this is a question that they keenly feel, however tenuous their undersanding or hold on God may be. They also feel isolated because this is still seen as something terrible and sinful by the world in general.
I tend to use Roman 8 as it sums up clearly the faith that NO ONE is beyond God's loveand that NOTHING can separate us from him.

My own personal feeling is that God has a special corner reserved for such as these. A place where he can strive with them to see and understand that he does care and that others do care; that they do matter and that they are loved beyond all telling.
I'm taking 'theological' here, to mean, 'where does God come into this' as opposed to a code invented by human agencies.

((((((((Scandal)))))))).

There are some really sensitive people out there.
This has been hard to read but worth it. [Tear] Thanks [Tear]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

- Posted      Profile for Jerry Boam   Email Jerry Boam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The articles linked to in Thought Criminal's post take a position, almost entirely focused on the act of a person not facing terminal illness, that suicide should be a civil right. This is an interesting argument for a discussion of good government, but doesn't seem to have anything to sat about the theological issues surrounding self-killing.

The mitzva that is usually given as a theological basis for the idea that suicide is sinful is generally given as "Thou shalt not kill." It is sometimes pointed out (often by advocates of capital punishment) that the original Hebrew translates better as "Thou shalt not murder" and that lawful killing was not only not permissible, but required by God. I'm sure you are all familiar with the proof texts trotted out in this context.

So, is all suicide self-murder, or can some suicide be considered lawful or even mandatory self-killing?

Is there some theological basis for making special allowances for the terminally ill? If not, and we are concluding that God wants people who have been selected for agonizing deaths to go through the experience "naturally," should we not also restrict the use of pain killers which reduce the intensity of the pain required by God?

I believe that Divine Outlaw Dwarf has the key theological position here:
quote:
The absolute sin, for Christians, is failure to love.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(((((Scandal))))) and (((((Balaam)))))

--------------------

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The core error with the linked articles was of course the statement that we own ourselves. This is of course explicitly denied in the New Testament 'you are not your own, you were bought with a price'. It is also a denial of the reality of the duties that we have as a result of relationships with others. As such it is deeply anti-Christian, and needs to seen as such, however much it is in tune with the spirit of the age.

If we exclude the 'escape from physical pain' scenario, which is a different discussion, the major justification for suicide seems to be depression. Given the amazing different that anti-depressants do make, it seems clear that this is likely in most cases to have a major chemical component - is in fact a physical disease rather than a non-mental one. In that scenario the potential suicide person needs, in some ways, the same treatment as the alcoholic - encouragement to seek help, without an acceptance that their behaviour is legitimate. In the case like my own where the temptation was in response to an objective external reality, the need is for real love to cope with the reality.

In both cases I wonder whether there is not a strong argument for some solid teaching on why it is wrong - given in such a way as to show those who might be tempted in the future what the issues are. Obviously this needs to be done sensitively - but at present it seems seldom to be done at all, with the result that the Chesterton quote is a major shock, rather than a strong but not that exceptional statement of traditional teaching.

--------------------

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

Is the "escape from physical pain scenario a different discussion," as Ender's Shadow says? I don't think it has been, in the general history of Christian doctrine on this issue.

I don't believe that "solid teaching on why it is wrong" would make the Chesterton passage any more palatable to those who find it revolting. Nor do I think it would answer the basic sense, raised pithily by Sarky Cow, that something is wrong with a morality that condemns a suicide to eternal damnation, but not a torturer or child abuser.

Just saying it alot or in diferent ways doesn't make it seem right or consistent with basic Christian values: love your enemy, love your neighbor, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, turn the other cheek, walk an extra mile, give your coat also, etc. Or are we to believe that the implicit message from God is "do as I say, not as I do."

--------------------

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
Just saying it alot or in diferent ways doesn't make it seem right or consistent with basic Christian values: love your enemy, love your neighbor, do unto others as you would have them do unto you....
What I'm arguing is that suicide is ultimately a selfish act - it is saying that my concern for myself is greater than the concern that I have for anyone else in the world. It is also a rejection of all the good that is in creation - which is what I take from the Chesterton quote. Given who I am, to hear this clearly expressed makes suicide a less attractive option - and would for me therefore be useful for me to hear away from a time when I am drifting towards such behaviour, and possibly even when letting the idea play on my mind. That doesn't mean it would be helpful for everyone, but I don't think you should assume it's not helpful for some.

--------------------

Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
What I'm arguing is that suicide is ultimately a selfish act - it is saying that my concern for myself is greater than the concern that I have for anyone else in the world. It is also a rejection of all the good that is in creation - which is what I take from the Chesterton quote. Given who I am, to hear this clearly expressed makes suicide a less attractive option - and would for me therefore be useful for me to hear away from a time when I am drifting towards such behaviour, and possibly even when letting the idea play on my mind. That doesn't mean it would be helpful for everyone, but I don't think you should assume it's not helpful for some.

I can well believe this message would be helpful for some and I think the message should be that: if you are contemplating suicide and your act would be a rejection of all the good in creation, then your act would be sinful and you may expect things to get worse, not better on the post mortem side. But I don't agree that all suicide is selfish or a rejection of the good, and I don't believe that the harm that is done by claiming the opposite can be justified on those grounds.

Go ahead and condemn bad reasons for suicide, but leave the sorting of goats and lambs to Jesus.

Oh, and... glad you're still with us.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have thought that when someone is in the state where they are seriously contemplating suicide, the last thing they are being is selfish - because the normal structures of polite society have probably ceased to be relevant at that point.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

Re: the 'suicide is selfish' debate. Many people attempt or commit suicide because they think others will be better off without them, that they're removing something bad, ie, themselves, from a situation that can only be improved by that removal. Their concern, it could be argued, is for the welfare of the ones they love. Perhaps in that sense, in some cases, it can be understood as 'unselfish', at least in the mind of the person commiting suicide.

OTOH, suicide is about killing one's self; it is, mortally at any rate, an action focussed and absorbed in the destruction of one's self. And even while there are obviously repercussions for everyone else around, it centres on the desire of self to kill the self. So in that sense it might be understood as a 'self-ish' act?

I mentioned in an earlier post one of my initial reactions to a friend who killed himself, thinking it was selfish. I think this was because he had excluded everyone else from his life in the ultimate way someone can do this. He sincerely thought he could help his wife and young children by leaving them 'free' to live their lives without him; that they really would be happier without his existence. Of course they weren't at all happier.

From his perspective he was cutting off his life from theirs, in order to make their lives better. But from their perspective he had cut off all their lives from his, denying them the access they felt that as a wife and children they had to him. He had not merely withdrawn from them, but had utterly excluded them.

It has to be emphasized, of course, that this was only part of what they felt at the time. And they had to take into account his (well-hidden) depression, deep unhappiness and the guilt that he had, that he wasn't providing for his family as well as he thought he should have been. Given all that, despite his deep Christian faith, it was perfectly feasible in his view that he should give up his life, so that his family's lives could improve. So the issue of 'selfishness' is pretty complicated, I guess.

--------------------

Never Conforming

Aspiring to Something
# 4054

- Posted      Profile for Never Conforming   Author's homepage   Email Never Conforming   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to agree with Chorister and Anselmina about the selishness (or not) of suicide.

From people I have spoken to there seem to be so many reasons why people would consider such action, and that selfishness or selflessness are only part of those reasons.

Jo

Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

- Posted      Profile for Kyralessa   Email Kyralessa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a bit annoyed with the way G. K. Chesterton is getting knocked around in this thread. The thread's title, after all, is Theological Standpoint on Suicide. Not Pastoral Counseling for Suicidal People or some such. JL gave a theological view of suicide from a theological book, and following that he and Chesterton both received, "How could you say such a cruel, heartless thing to a suicidal person?"

Personally, I very much doubt that either JL or Chesterton would say such a thing. But Chesterton's book wasn't written to people threatening suicide, but to people interested in theology or philosophy, and JL's quote of Chesterton was directed to a thread about theology.

As an Orthodox, I'm not sure what the "official Orthodox position" (if such exists) is on suicide, but I suspect that theologically speaking it's about the same as Chesterton's take. However, pastorally it's a different story; no priest in his right mind is going to tell a suicidal person "You can't do that because it's a mortal sin."

As an Orthodox, my Church-of-Christ parents are heretics. Does that mean I regard them and treat them as heretics? Obviously not; I love them and respect them as my parents. If they were to ask me, earnestly wanting to know, what the Orthodox viewpoint is on the doctrine of their church,

--------------------
In Orthodoxy, a child is considered an icon of the parents' love for each other.

I'm just glad all my other icons don't cry, crap, and spit up this much.

Posts: 1597 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

- Posted      Profile for Kyralessa   Email Kyralessa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blast, misclicked. To continue...

quote:
Originally posted by Kyralessa:
...If [my parents] were to ask me, earnestly wanting to know, what the Orthodox viewpoint is on the doctrine of their church,

...then I'd tell them that their church's doctrine is heresy based on Orthodox standards. But I don't rub their nose in it, and I hardly would call it the best way to convince someone to convert.

I hope I don't come off as acting like I think I'm a moderator or something, but it bothers me when people eschew context and call people heartless for saying something they weren't really saying.

Theologically speaking, by the way, I'd say suicide is taking away something you did not create and have no right to do away with. "You are not your own; you were bought with a price..."

--------------------
In Orthodoxy, a child is considered an icon of the parents' love for each other.

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Madkaren,

Perhaps not. But what might happen at the moment of death (the actual moment of dying is very important in e.g. Karl Rahner's theology of death) is a different matter and we would do well to maintain a dignified silence, leaving certainty about who can and can't be 'saved' to God.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

Divine Outlaw-Dwarf,

Would you care to point out where I took it upon myself to decree who is saved and who isn't?

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JL, I'm not meaning to start a fight. It just seems to me that if you are saying that (a) suicide is a mortal sin and (b) suicide, by definition, in many cases at least, cannot be repented of - then you are saying that many suicide victims are not save. I am calling into question whether premiss (b) is true, if that helps clarify?

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

Kyralessa, your point about context is well taken, and I'm sorry if my emotional response offended. Neverthless, there are limits to the defense of context. Chesterton must have been aware that this passage might be read by people who's loved ones had killed themselves. While not imagining that the passage would be quoted in a pastoral context, it might still be read by someone who would be deeply offended...

Divine Outlaw-Dwarf, the more I read your posts, the more I appreciate your thoughtfulness and clarity. Thanks.

--------------------

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:
Because, afaik, these things do not get you automatically condemned to Hell, yet suicide does, or did, depending on your view point.

It's a sin which, if committed with full consent and undertanding etc. (i.e. fulfilling all the criteria for a sin to be mortal) can not, by its nature, be repented of. I think that would be the main problem.

Suicide dosn't necessarily mean that the person died in mortal sin. For example, there's the question of whether the act of suicide is committed with full consent and understanding. A number of posters on this thread have talked of depression or mental illness as a cause of suicide. How are they to be imputed with the requisite full consent and understanding? If their suicide is not truly the result of their free choice to turn away from God, to act knowingly in defiance of eternal law and against grace, then how do they commit mortal sin?

Others have mentioned unbearable life circumstances - how much pain and suffering should a loving God expect us to bear. "As much as is sent us" moral theologians might say, but those in great privation or pain, physical or mental, may not be strong enough to endure it. It is easy enough from a moral standpoint to say that a suicide should have trusted in God more or had more hope in God's wisdom and mercy, so that by suicide they might commit a mortal sin, having fulfilled its preconditions.

I found Freddy's comment helpful - that a human being is the sum of all their choices, not merely of their final one. I'm not God and I don't know what God knows or understand all that He understands. God sees all of our being - our weakness as well as our strength. You can repent of a mortal sin before death and be reconciled with God. How would either of us know whether the suicide repents in that final moment but dies anyway? Or maybe God, although saddened by the act, looks on the suicide with love and says "I can't blame you for not being able to hang on." and rights the disordered act of suicide, in His forgiveness. Neither of us fully understand the bounds of that mercy or to whom it might be extended.

Then there is the whole question of martyrdom. Martyrs are, directly or indirectly, suicides. The 40 Martyrs of England and Wales could have avoided their deaths by recanting their Catholic faith. But their deaths, and those of other martyrs were a witness to God's truth, as they would rather die than deny that truth. No-one would suggest that they died in mortal sin becuase they had made a conscious choice to put themselves in a position where they could have their lives taken from them - rather the reverse in fact.

So I suppose that leaves the nihilists, the ultimate target of the Chesterton quote you gave above, and those who kill themselves in pure and simple defiance of eternal law, separating themselves irrevocably from God by their own conscious and freely willed decision. I recognise those as being in mortal sin in committing suicide. But then to kill yourself in order to give one final "Up yours!" to God doesn't strike me as especially rational either. Thus it seems to me they are a select and spiritually impoverished group.

I recognise that Chesterton was expressing one particular,harsh view of the Church's teaching on suicide. The quote upset me however and it should have been set in better context in terms of the Church's teaching.

I'm trying to set this in better context. This thread started six months to the day of my old friend Allen's suicide. He fell into that second group - those whose lives had become unbearable, in his case through incurable illness that would have finished him off in the end, after yet more suffering. He chose to leave us.

I believe that, in the end, God looks at our relationship to him expressed in our lives. It is when that life is a conscious, deliberate rejection and defiance of God and suicide merely the final expression of those life choices, that suicide is truly a mortal sin. Otherwise, mitigation by an individual's circumstances, lack of truly free and conscious choice, because of their mental state and the fact of God's boundless love and mercy means to me that suicides do not, by that act alone, die in mortal sin.

The Church prays for suicides and hopes for their salvation.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lapensiera
Shipmate
# 4057

- Posted      Profile for lapensiera   Author's homepage   Email lapensiera   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For it destroys all buildings: it insults all women. The thief is satisfied with diamonds; but the suicide is not: that is his crime. He cannot be bribed, even by the blazing stones of the Celestial City. The thief compliments the things he steals, if not the owner of them. But the suicide insults everything on earth by not stealing it.
sorry to throw Gilbert right back into the mix, but i think what he's getting at is not really all that sexist - i think just maybe what he was saying is that the beauty of a woman's body, soul, spirit as created by God ought to be enough to make one want to go on living, and therefore killing oneself in some way says that the suicide has glanced at womankind but not seen all her beauty, or that it has for some reason left him cold. Chesterton actually was nihilistic and suicidal for a goodly chunk of his teens/early 20s, if i recall correctly from my reading about him, so perhaps he need not be rejected out of hand as someone so out of touch [Smile] ... just a thought.

topic at hand [Big Grin] ... i have also spent several years in such interior turmoil as to be suicidal - both before and after "becoming a born-again (TM) Christian". i had a friend in junior high who did kill herself, went to her funeral a few months after i had become a Christian. it's not that i felt abandoned, or as though she had been selfish in doing that ... more that my heart just ached for her. let alone our other friends. i sat with them, and i walked up the aisle to the casket with them, and i heard them and myself crying, frightened, and angry at adults whom we somehow felt should have recognized that something was desperately wrong with our friend and done something to prevent what happened. probably, there was nothing they could have done, but at 15 we don't understand that.

i never had a particular theological standpoint on suicide that kept me from doing it - i was just scared of pain ... but somehow i had some strange, unnameable sense of calling - that sense that if i could just make myself get through to the next day and the day after that and the day after that and on and on, somehow i would get to doing something for others that would make my having lived worthwhile. after becoming a Christian, one of the first things i read in the New Testament (i had started out with the Psalms and the minor prophets [Big Grin] ) was the bit in I Corinthians about one's body being a temple, therefore destroying the body being wrong ... that's not a particularly pleasant thing to read when contemplating suicide either, but i did add it on as just one more reason not to do it.

so ... no, i don't think God would condemn anyone who killed themselves in sheer despair, seeing no way out of a living hell except to die. but i think it does sadden Him deeply, and leaves a hole in the fabric of all people's existence - a place where that person might be the only one who could say or do the only thing that could solve something, or pull someone back from the brink, or whatever. God can pull someone else into that place, but that person is going to be missed.

that probably made no sense, but there it is ... cheers

[sorted quote attribution and code]

[ 31. May 2003, 04:11: Message edited by: Scot ]

--------------------
"We need not be afraid of the power that is in us;
it will meet its match one day in the omnipotent weakness of God." Simon Tugwell

Posts: 211 | From: south central Louisiana, USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Never Conforming

Aspiring to Something
# 4054

Comments earlier in the thread talk about not being able to repent of the sin of suicide. I was just thinking about Marilyn Monroe, and other people like her. Assuming that she killed herself, there was still enough time for her to (at least) reach for the phone.

Bearing in mind there can be a gap between committing the act that will kill oneself, and actually dying, would it not be possible to pray, and ask God for his forgiveness.

It must be gutting to change ones mind after setting out on this path, but it must be possible that it happens.

Jo

--------------------
I used to poison Student Minds™ and am proud to have done so
Never Conforming in the Surreal World

Will H
Shipmate
# 4178

- Posted      Profile for Will H   Email Will H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jugular:
People who commit suicide have a mental illness, usually depression. Suicide is a fatal symptom of this illness.

I couldn't agree more. Suicide is no more a sin than dying of any other disease. Or perhaps we should condemn people who die from cancer?
Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

(Follows Lapensiera on slightly divergent OT path; finds supine horse in a little clearing and approaches, crop in hand)

What is sexist is the assumption that a generic person contemplating suicide is male, and that his failure to hang on reflects a callous indifference to the charms of women, and is therefore an insult… not just because of the automatic masculinity of the generic case, which can be partially forgiven as an artifact of the language not easily circumvented, but also because of the implied relationship between a given man and all women…

But this is a minor point… And I am very sorry that my intemperate response irritated Chesterton fans. I don’t mean to be a callous oaf, it just sometimes happens. [Embarrassed] Sorry.

(Looks about and hunts for path back to OT)

What is particularly irritating about the suggestion that there is this generic man (who is insulting all women by neglecting to consider them as he considers ending his male life) is the idea that it’s useful to imagine suicide in the abstract when it only ever actually occurs in the context of a richly complicated and unique human life.

I have the impression that there is some common recognition that not all self killing is the same, but also that there is a category of nihilistic self killers who are acting out of selfishness and lack of proper respect for the world around them. I have never met such a person, nor have I heard of such a person existing in anything but an abstract fantasy. I think it likely that what is seen as nihilism in others is almost always despair or rage born of frustrated ideals and dashed hopes.

There are people who have some of the characteristics ascribed to Chesterton’s hypothetical selfish guy. There are also people who kill themselves impulsively out of anger. Approaching these complex lives with an abstract theoretical position doesn’t seem very helpful. Nor does striking an official Church position, when God’s will is not clear—it smacks of idolatry, substituting the officials and structure of "the Church" for God.

"Don’t trouble yourself about the sheep and goats thing, Lord, we’ve got it covered—job’s done, just sit back and relax and enjoy a mango juice or something, O King of Kings, we did the judging thing already."

I have an ill-defined thought about the distinction drawn by Kyralessa between a theological standpoint on suicide and pastoral care for suicidal people. The scriptural references and related thoughts expressed eloquently by Eutychus earlier in this thread show a theological standpoint on suicide. I’m not sure that I believe in a theological stance divorced from pastoral care. The Messiah explained the essence of the Torah and the prophets as "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength" and "love your neighbor as your self." When interpreting the will of God, I think it would be wise to keep these words of Jesus foremost. Even when not actively engaged in pastoral care for suicidal people, Christians might want to bear in mind the possibility that the parents, children, friends and lovers of persons who have committed suicide may be among their audience and write with love for these people, as well as the suicidal, as a primary consideration.

Well, I don’t think I expressed that very well, but it’s the best I can do a the moment.

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm a bit annoyed with the way G. K. Chesterton is getting knocked around in this thread. The thread's title, after all, is Theological Standpoint on Suicide. Not Pastoral Counseling for Suicidal People or some such. JL gave a theological view of suicide from a theological book, and following that he and Chesterton both received, "How could you say such a cruel, heartless thing to a suicidal person?"

I agree with this in principle. Also mad props to Duo Seraphim for a cracking post. I'm annoyed that there is an intimation of insensitivity or coldness and hardness (yer, I might be, but get the reasons right) because people tender an opinion but because they haven't picked their scabs in public it is automatically assumed that they couldn't possibly understand and are speaking from outside the issue blah de blah.

As far as tempering what we say so as not to offend, yes, within reason, but until a host or admin gives something a black card (eg. implications that homosexuality is linked to paedophilia), then everything is fair game for discussion. I find it emotionally manipulative to be expected not to discuss something because it may offend/upset people who have attempted suicide or families of people who have committed suicide. If this thread is going to trigger you (not addressing anyone in particular) then get off it. (Maybe a warning to this effect could be put in the opening post)

I'm suspicious of the 'forget the theology lets get down to the pastoral aspect' approach. There's a classy latin phrase: 'What we pray is what we believe'. Well, unless we are primal, reactive creatures, what we do must come out of what we believe. That's why it is right to discuss theologies on suicide. Doing things with an emotionalistic, 'it felt like the right thing' approach, sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Unless there is something robust and sorted behind our actions I think there is a risk of bringing our own crap into pastoral occasions (not saying anyone has from the examples given).

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lapensiera:
so ... no, i don't think God would condemn anyone who killed themselves in sheer despair, seeing no way out of a living hell except to die. but i think it does sadden Him deeply, and leaves a hole in the fabric of all people's existence

Well said. [Not worthy!]

Huia

[fixed quote]

[ 01. June 2003, 18:30: Message edited by: Scot ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus Coot:
I'm suspicious of the 'forget the theology lets get down to the pastoral aspect' approach. There's a classy latin phrase: 'What we pray is what we believe'. Well, unless we are primal, reactive creatures, what we do must come out of what we believe. That's why it is right to discuss theologies on suicide. Doing things with an emotionalistic, 'it felt like the right thing' approach, sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Unless there is something robust and sorted behind our actions I think there is a risk of bringing our own crap into pastoral occasions (not saying anyone has from the examples given).

did someone say "forget theology" here? I missed that…

I did say that I don’t believe in a theological stance divorced from pastoral care. I was being imprecise—I don’t believe in a Christian theological stance divorced from compassion. My belief is that Christians take the teaching and example of Christ as a primary theological source. I don’t believe that teaching that suicide in all cases leads to hell can be supported by scripture and I don’t see how making such a claim in the kind of hyperbolic, emotional rant exemplified by the Chesterton quote can be consistent with the teachings of Christ. I can see such a rant as placing a stumbling block before believers, leading people to reject the faith and running afoul of the warning in Matthew 18:6. I also find support for the idea that the Chesterton bit is not in keeping with essential Christian doctrine in Romans 14. I don’t know if Chesterton would actually go to hell for having written this, but the warning is unambiguous about this sort of thing.

So OK--I’ve had a go a Chesterton, and rightly so. But, it is said, although he expressed it badly and casts the traditional teaching of the church in a harsh light, he is reflecting the church’s teaching. Well, why not drop Chesterton’s poor explication of that teaching and focus on the theological heart of the matter. To what extent does the church hold this position and why? Is there a sound basis for this position? Does it stand up to challenge on the basis of OT and NT writing that suggests another view? Must a firm conclusion be drawn on this issue or is an informed agnosticism a better and more theologically sound approach?

The idea that criticizing a bit of rhetoric for its lack of compassion is an emotionally manipulative debating tactic misses the point entirely. One may have a valid point to make which is intrinsically distressing to many, that is not a problem. But if one chooses to make that point in a needlessly cruel way (e.g., Chesterton), then I think it is reasonable to reject that expression as inconsistent with the teaching of Christ. It may be that such rejection has an emotional impact, but that can’t be said to invalidate it.

--------------------

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I did say that I don’t believe in a theological stance divorced from pastoral care. I was being imprecise—I don’t believe in a Christian theological stance divorced from compassion.

That pretty much sums it up for me too, Jerry Boam. I had to work through the theological side of my Catholic faith, as well as my grief, when Allen died.

A theological position on suicide must be more nuanced than "suicide is a mortal sin". It must be both motivated and informed by compassion flowing from love between God and humanity, as well as from the love we must bear for our fellow humans.

Where I do have a genuine theological problem is with Dr Philip Nitscke and his supporters, in the news again this morning advocating the right of the terminally ill to have access to the means to commit suicide.

I have nothing but compassion for the terminally ill who face the question of suicide in order to avoid further suffering, as well as for their families and those who care for them.

However lying behind the "suicide as a civic right" position is the moral position that a life of suffering, of physical or mental indignity or disability, of diminishment due to disease is no longer worth living because it is not as good as the life that person lived before. Thus, it is argued, the terminally ill should have the right to escape that diminished life. That, to me cheapens the dignity of those lives, as it carries with it the unacceptable suggestion that life is no longer worth living, once it falls below a certain quality of existence and that suicide is a proper solution.

A compassionate theology of suicide, one that holds fast to God's mercy, would not grant that wish. For our lives are not our own but a gift of God, to be run to their finish, even if that life is painful and the finish is hard. Such a theology would affirm and comfort that person's humanity and the dignity of their lives to the end of life, while remaining compassionate to those who cannot bear to endure until that end and who chose to suicide.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

When I was a fair bit younger, in junior high, I think, I had a friend named Josh who died of brain cancer. A Sunday or two later, our preacher gave a sermon talking about the idea of karma (he was, of course, against it). A fair bit of the sermon focused on Josh, and how outrageous would be the notion that his suffering and death was due to bad deeds done in some previous life.

Now that was emotionally manipulative, and crass, and totally inappropriate. Had I been an adult, I might well have gone up and told him off. But I was just a kid, and he was the preacher, after all.

Context was the key. Though Josh and his family no longer lived in our city, they'd been part of our church and a lot of people there knew them. Using his death to make an abstract theological point, especially when that death was so recent, was an abuse because of the context. Ten years down the road, if the same sermon had occurred, I wouldn't have been so sensitive about it.

As for Chesterton, I think it's fair to suppose that depressed or suicidal people wouldn't be reading a book called Orthodoxy to begin with. Or on the other hand, the rare depressed or suicidal person who would nonetheless read a book like that is probably also the sort of person who would be influenced by Chesterton's argument, and would end up not committing suicide because of it. At any rate the context makes it clear that he was arguing against philosophies, not against depressed people, and this point about suicide was only one point in a whole chapter in support of a different argument.

Googling shows that when I look for views of my church (Orthodox) on suicide, the responses are much more nuanced and compassionate. The reason is obvious: People asking questions about suicide are dealing with the actual occurrence, whereas nobody goes to Chesterton's books for counsel on suicide.

Finally, during high school, the father of a friend of mine from another church was shot and killed. He was not a Christian himself, and the teaching of the church that I (and she) were in said he stood condemned. Our youth group went to the visitation, and our youth minister spoke with this girl for a while. Afterwards, we'd asked what he'd said. He asked us in turn, "What do you think I might have said? Do you think I emphasized the justice of God, or the mercy of God?" So even in our otherwise rather hard-nosed group back then, there was a clear recognition that theological teaching and pastoral care are two different things.

[Votive]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

[Not worthy!] Kyralessa [Not worthy!]

Jerry Boam said:
quote:
I’m not sure that I believe in a theological stance divorced from pastoral care.
But then what do you do with, say, the forbiddance of murder even when someone has found that their spouse has cheated on them? This sort of thing has happened many times and still does; a person who is tempted to hunt down the person their spouse has committed adultery with (or possibly the spouse, or both) is going through extreme and understandable duress -- but it still doesn't make it morally right for them to go kill the person. And focusing on that, even though true, may not necessarily be what is pastorally needed at that point (though it may).

Icarus Coot: [Not worthy!]

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahem.
quote:
I don’t believe that teaching that suicide in all cases leads to hell can be supported by scripture and I don’t see how making such a claim in the kind of hyperbolic, emotional rant exemplified by the Chesterton quote can be consistent with the teachings of Christ.

Only, that doesn't characterise Chesterton's position at all. As you'd know if you'd read the several other posts on this thread responding to that particular criticism. Context is all here - and there's nothing sanctimoniously judgemental about Chesterton. In fact, from his own autobiography, it's clear suicide was not just a hypothetical philosophical threat to him. But "emotional rant"?! Come on, fess up - you haven't read that passage in any context at all, except in this thread, have you?
quote:

I can see such a rant as placing a stumbling block before believers, leading people to reject the faith and running afoul of the warning in Matthew 18:6. I also find support for the idea that the Chesterton bit is not in keeping with essential Christian doctrine in Romans 14. I don’t know if Chesterton would actually go to hell for having written this, but the warning is unambiguous about this sort of thing.

What, you mean you don't know if he's going to Hell or not? Wow, I admire you're honesty and forebearance ...
On the available evidence, this is way out of (a) line, and (b) proportion, (as well as being exactly the kind of sanctimonious judgementalism you accuse Chesterton (may his name be blessed) of perpetrating).
quote:
I’ve had a go a Chesterton, and rightly so. [...] One may have a valid point to make which is intrinsically distressing to many, that is not a problem. But if one chooses to make that point in a needlessly cruel way (e.g., Chesterton), then I think it is reasonable to reject that expression as inconsistent with the teaching of Christ.
So it's needlessly cruel (and anti-Christ in to the bargain, let's not forget) to express extreme disapproval (albeit eloquently) at a nihilistic and morally and spiritually dangerous philosophical trend? Really? Because that is what Chesterton was actually doing, and I'm not the first one to point that out on this thread.

Seriously, if you'd been posting this kind of stuff, with the same lack of contextual support, about a much-respected (and reputedly very holy) living religious writer, you'd have been verbally lynched long before now, Jerry.

"And rightly so".

CB (wouldn't ya know ...)

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

I don't have much time for Chesterton, and I have read him. I think that he probably thinks that most, if not all, human thought since about 1789 is "nihilistic", unless it is explcitly Christian.

But the idea that suicide, in general, results from philosophical nihilism is simply crazy. People were committing suicide well before philosophical nihilism came back into fashion. People with all encompassing Christian worldviews committed suicide, and many did so believing that they would go to hell as a result.

Human motivations are complex, frequently confused and inconsistent. And the only Christian response can be to offer them up in the hope of redemption.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I try to make the time to read Chesterton. I should read more of him than I have thus far. [Yipee]

--------------------

Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf:
I don't have much time for Chesterton, and I have read him. I think that he probably thinks that most, if not all, human thought since about 1789 is "nihilistic", unless it is explcitly Christian.

But the idea that suicide, in general, results from philosophical nihilism is simply crazy. People were committing suicide well before philosophical nihilism came back into fashion. People with all encompassing Christian worldviews committed suicide, and many did so believing that they would go to hell as a result.

Human motivations are complex, frequently confused and inconsistent. And the only Christian response can be to offer them up in the hope of redemption.

All right, DOD, you've forced me into it:

quote:
I put these things not in their mature logical sequence, but as they came: and this view was cleared and sharpened by an accident of the time. Under the lengthening shadow of Ibsen, an argument arose whether it was not a very nice thing to murder one's self. Grave moderns told us that we must not even say "poor fellow," of a man who had blown his brains out, since he was an enviable person, and had only blown them out because of their exceptional excellence. Mr. William Archer even suggested that in the golden age there would be penny-in-the-slot machines, by which a man could kill himself for a penny. In all this I found myself utterly hostile to many who called themselves liberal and humane. Not only is suicide a sin, it is the sin... (G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy)
Chesterton was not arguing against suicidal people themselves, nor against those who held out hope that suicidal people were not necessarily condemned to hell. Nor yet was he arguing that all suicides are the result of nihilism. He was arguing, rather, against people who, due to their nihilism, thought that suicide was a good, respectable thing.

And if, grasping that point, we have trouble understanding how anyone could ever have called suicide a good, respectable thing, then that just shows how far removed we are from the context within which Chesterton wrote. (And if it's that hard to understand Chesterton, who lived so recently, imagine how hard it is to understand something like the New Testament without serious study of its context and background!)

Getting back to the actual topic of the thread, I might point out that we Orthodox pray for the dead. In fact just a week ago we had a memorial service in our parish for someone who died a year ago; we not only remembered her, but also prayed for God to grant her rest and to forgive her sins. Also, we ask the dead to intercede to God for us. In worship we petition the saints, but in our private prayers we may also petition other deceased Orthodox, even those not considered saints.

Thus in our tradition the dead are still considered to have some sort of existence between their death and the general resurrection yet to come. Could this mean that even suicides are not beyond all hope? Not being a priest or bishop, nor having studied the question, I'm not qualified to say, but it would be an interesting question to put to one who has studied it.

(Or, heck, we could just wildly speculate. [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Thus in our tradition the dead are still considered to have some sort of existence between their death and the general resurrection yet to come. Could this mean that even suicides are not beyond all hope? .........
(Or, heck, we could just wildly speculate. [Big Grin] )

{A not very theological but gut-feeling response....)
I am no more qualified than anyone else to answer this question. But in my opinion I would say that of all the people who most needed the hope that Christ offers, those who consider destroying themselves, and even manage it, are the ones most deserving of the hope that God so much wants to give them - whether in this life or the next.

And who is to say that in those final moments of mortal consciousness there is not, taking place, the absolute in God's gracious mercy for those who need it most.

Christ said the healthy didn't need the physician and that he didn't come for the so-called righteous. If redemption has any worth at all surely it must be at its shining best when the despair is deepest and the work of God's saving love is at its most gracious and loving and salvific.

Going to the cross was hard; can there be any human action too difficult to be redeemed by the Divine sacrifice?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016