homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Are other Christians really Christian? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Are other Christians really Christian?
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The following quote is from another thread. I’ve removed identifying information because my goal is not to jump all over the person who posted it, or their church.

quote:
I was taught that we are the one true Church, and that while there are Christians outside the visible organization of the Church, there is no Church outside the XXXXX Church.

Some will say there aren't any Christians outside the Church -- if you're not XXXXX, you're not Christian.

Others will say that those outside the Church are related to the Church in the same manner as those who are temporarily excommunicate -- they're Christians, they're members of the Church, but are simply out of Communion.

Others would say that those outside the XXXXX Church are related to the Church in a manner analogous to unbaptized children of Christians. They already belong to the Church, although the relationship hasn't yet been fulfilled.

Some will say it's none of our business; it's between them and God.

But I've never heard any discussion of how any other Church relates to the XXXXX Church, since I've never heard any other XXXXX Christian say there *is* another Church outside ours.

How do you see Christians who don’t belong to your church or denomination? Are they really Christians, or are they just deluded wannabes? Is it possible to believe that your church has the best grip on truth without looking down on other churches? How should we relate to people who deny that we are Christians?

I was raised in a denomination which taught that other "Christians" would either convert one day or be damned. We were the only ones with the full truth. I can still remember the day when I realized in my gut that there are real Christians in other churches. I was 11 years old, and that was the first step on a road that eventually led me safely out of that denomination. Today I am quite sure that there are Christians in every church, and that I don't have all truth.

Does anyone here make an exclusive claim to Christianity?

[ 18. June 2003, 18:23: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not me.

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One hopes not.

cheers,

m (been there, done that, learnt better)

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No.

There are many sheep without, and many wolves within.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

- Posted      Profile for Bonzo   Email Bonzo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a difference between making an exclusive claim to christianity and believing that your own denomination has it 'more right' than others. I daresay that that's the reason we belong to the denominations which we do belong to.

However, I don't personally think there's a denomination out there that has it all right. Also I think it's very dangerous to believe that your denomination cannot be wrong, better to listen to others arguments and weigh them carefully, better not to be dogmatic but accept the alternative possibilities.

--------------------
Love wastefully

Posts: 1150 | From: Stockport | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't even think my denomination has it more right than the others. These days I feel like God has called me to membership of the Anglican church. For whatever reason, this is where he wants me...

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ley Druid

Ship's chemist
# 3246

- Posted      Profile for Ley Druid   Email Ley Druid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There have always been different affiliations within Christianity. Some Christians, from quite early on, affiliated themselves under the authority of a local bishop (or abbot). The fruit of such affiliations has been the collection and reproduction of Christian scripture, formulation of creeds and the earliest accounts of church history to name a few. In brief, the overwhelming importance of these affiliations to Christianity today notwithstanding there were and have always been those who called themselves Christian, who were not so affiliated, and whose influence today and even their very existence is difficult to ascertain.
I wonder how applicable is the comparison between Christians to the comparison between Orthodox and "secular" Jews. There have always been both observant and non-observant Jews neither of which were exclusively Jewish, and yet Orthodoxy, has remained normative in defining Judaism.

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot imagine being a happy member of any church that is not Anglo-Catholic, and even there I have moments of displeasure. I think it is arrogance of the highest order and almost a denigration of the sovereignty of God for individuals or churches to presume to judge the Christianity of lack thereof on the part of others. I may feel, even deeply believe, that something is un-Christian, but the ultimate judge of such matters is God, and I thank God for that.

Greta

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belatedly reviewing my post, I think it seems unconnected. After the first sentence, I should have said that, while Anglo-Catholicism is the only church in which I would be happy, I do not, by any means, consider it the only Christian church.

Greta

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good heavens, what appalling hubris on the part of SOME denomination or other.

My branch of the Church is certainly right for me, and I think we have it more right than many others. But I don't think there are any exclusive Truth franchises in this business.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, as one who belongs to a parish that was described by another Christian as that "Synagogue of Satan on The Terrace," I know it is perfectly possible for that hubris to exist. Alive and kicking in Wellington, in fact.

Actually, I think that moniker for us might well be adopted by some in our own denomination, so I don't think you need to go outside for that kind of argument to occur. What makes us special? Well, a number of things actually.

• We love and honour one of our senior retired clergy, one Lloyd Geering, the only Presbyterian in NZ to have been tried and acquitted of heresy in the last century
  • We have a lesbian minister, and our parish has been staunchly pro-gay since about 1984
  • We have a study trust which examines the interface between religion and society
  • We are committed to interfaith dialogue (don't laugh - somebody tried to bring a heresy charge on this very issue at GA last year)
  • We don't believe that God's revelation is entirely contained by the Bible
  • etc., etc., etc., all of which I find quite normal.
But a day doesn't go by without some Christian or other ringing up to tell us we're going to hell. I wouldn't say that we're sure we're right, we just think the questions are often more important than the answers.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uggh. What a silly idea. It seems like the least Christian thing you could do is to tell other people they aren't Christian. Puuleeese.

Maybe this group could take a page out of the advertising world and use the laundry detergent approach to compete for new members with other denominations... "Church XYZ, ten percent more Christian than we used to be!"

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I point out that if the original post is a swipe at Orthodox ecclesiology, it is offbase. We believe very exclusivist-sounding things about the nature of our Church. But for us this is an entirely different question from that of the salvation status (or even Christianness index if you will) of people not in our Church.

This arises when you take two quite incompatible ideas ("the church is an identifiable body which has descended from the first century church" and "the church is the sum total of all saved people wherever they happen to worship") and sort of misch them together. If we say, "We are the Church" and you think "but the church means the sum total of all saved people" then of course it looks like we're saying we're the only Christians.

But we do not believe that the church means the sum total of all saved people. This is the "invisible church" idea which I have mentioned in a different thread ("Doctrinal Basis"). But for us, "The Church" means an identifiable organization which has survived down the long centuries as an organic unity. Thus when we say we are the church, we are making a claim about historical continuity, not a claim about other people's salvation.

HTH.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How can this thread be considerd "a swipe" at anything, given the care Scot took to separate his question from the original post?
Posts: 2450 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

How can you say he "separated" his question from the quoted post when the post took up 2/3 of his OP, and he used it as a springboard to his question?

If it's just the word "swipe" you dislike I'll gladly take it back.

But he was clearly using Josephine's redaction of Orthodox ecclesiology as a lead-in to a question about attitudes concerning persons outside one's own church. The very natural deduction to be drawn is that he thinks (or wants others to think) that the Orthodox don't think non-Orthodox are Christians.

But if he's offended at my words I think HE should be the one to say so.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny, Mousethief, but I didn't know who the author of the original post was until you just mentioned it.
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

But you're right, of course, Mousethief, that the issue of whether any offense was given or taken is between the two of you.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Presleyterian:
Funny, Mousethief, but I didn't know who the author of the original post was until you just mentioned it.

So?

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

So I didn't initially interpret the OP as having anything to do with Orthodox ecclesiology. And given the redaction, it doesn't strike me that it does now.

That's all.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Fair enough. But is it your job to say how it struck, or should have struck, me?

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, since I've been "outed" on this thread (thanks, sweetie! [Razz] ) I figure I might as well explain the point I was trying to make.

The thread in question had moved from Eucharist to ecclesiology, with a large side of "why do all Orthodox always say the same thing? why do you all agree with each other all the time?" In a fit of pique, I said, if you want a subject on which Orthodox will disagree, the Eucharist ain't it. The Church ain't it. Try something else. Like, maybe Christians outside the Church. There, if you had 100 Orthodox Christians talking, you might find some differences of opinion.

I could have picked some other areas where there are wide differences of opinion. Like whether taxes should be raised or lowered, whether war in Iraq is justified, how best to fix the educational system in this country, or exactly what happens to the soul after death. But Christians outside the Church was rather closer to the thread as it was going on than any of those topics.

FWIW, I've never actually met an Orthodox Christian who believed that there are no Christians outside the Orthodox Church, although I have been assured that they exist (mostly in parts of Eastern Europe where they've never met any Christians who aren't Orthodox).

Again, though, I was not attempting to be disrespectful to Christians who are not Orthodox. If anyone feels that I was, I ask you to forgive me.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

Mousethief wrote:
quote:
Fair enough. But is it your job to say how it struck, or should have struck, me?
Of course not. That's why the words "I" and "me" appeared in the two sentences of my post.
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The OP was a swipe at any individual or any church (like my cradle denomination) who says, “If you aren’t one of us, you aren’t really a Christian.” If the shoe fits, then wear it. If it doesn’t fit, then I wasn’t talking about you.

The day I take a “swipe” at Orthodoxy, there won’t be any mistaking it. I promise.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
The day I take a “swipe” at Orthodoxy, there won’t be any mistaking it. I promise.

I'll be there with bells on!

Reader Alexis

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Pres, rather than derail the thread further I have PM'd you.

Sorry, Scot. On with the discussion. (Frankly I don't think you'll find anyone on SOF who really believes their church contains all the saved -- people with that attitude wouldn't hang in a place like SOF in the first place....)

Reader Alexis

--------------------

aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There may not be any one on the SOF boards who believes that they are the only Christians - but there are plenty of people out there who act as tho they are. In fact I would suggest it is only the wishy/washy anglicans who really do think everyone is as good as them (or maybe better) - with a tiny hint of pride that we are the only ones who know the truth (that there is no single repository for truth). Or this could be my personal response and the result of being brought up as an Episcopalian in Scotland.

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aig:
we are the only ones who know the truth (that there is no single repository for truth).

Nope. [Big Grin] Sorry to disappoint, that is not an Anglican thing.

But getting back to the OP, I have come across groups where they do seriously think that they are the ONLY ONES! When I was growing up, that was what seemed to be coming from the local RC church, but hey, we (CofS) didn't actually believe that they were Christians anyway, they worshipped Mary! (well, that was what was said at the time)

There were some Baptist who also seemed to have the same attitude, and they didn't want to associate with people who claimed to be Christians, cos they were so 'tainted' by the world.

In a Pentecostal church I went to for a few years it was being filled with the Spirit that was the thing. Any Christian who did not have at least one of the gifts was little better than a heathen.

That was 15-25 years ago. What is so wonderful is that they are all now talking and sharing in worship. They work together with Christian aid and Cafod. They hold joint Lenten study groups. They have joint carol services. When one of the churches is having a 'do' all the others are invited.

The churches are all still seperate. They give differing importance to parts of their worship and life. But they have realised that the differences add interest, and they are not a barrier to to being the Body of Christ.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am glad Scot has started another thread because the spat between Hatless, Bonzo, Scot, myself and Josephine on the "in the eating or in the bread thread" was tangential. I will now quote my last reply there because it is relevant here. However, I will do a Scot and substitutes "kisses" for Orthodoxy to keep the question more broadly based, (for it does apply to many Christian groups who make similar claims).

quote:
ALL (XXX) subscribe to the view that the (XXX) Church has the fullness of faith and life but they differ widely on Christianity outside (XXX).

There is a problem with the word "church." The word is being forced to contain too many meanings .... local church, canonical church, a denomination, a collection of denominations, invisible association of the elect, visible manifestation of a heavenly reality, .... all these and more are covered by the word "church." Some people like to make a rough distinction between church / churches / and Church ... but by no means consistently or coherently.

This is my take on the matter having from the beginning examined the dioversity of opinion WITHIN (XXX) ....

(1) The fullness of Christianity subsists in (XXXy/ism) ... (referring to the matrix of belief and life eather than the named Church itself). I say (XXXy/ism) rather than in the (XXX Church) because, although the latter is more correct and we certainly don't subscribe to the "invisible church" doctrine ... at times there have been situations when certain (XXX) churches, (undeniably XXX - adjective), became judged by others as uncanonical ... ceasing to be seen by these as belonging to the Church.....

(2) There are many churches, Christians and other groups that practice (XXXy/ism) more or less completely but which are not part of the (XXX) Church by anyone's estimation having never had any organic union with us nor ever having sought it. These churches could be thought of as having their own "circles" overlapping with our own. The overlaps refer to commonality of belief and practice notwithstanding the lack of unity at the organic level. Ecumenism means for us applying ourselves more earnestly to the search for organic unity with these who, already, share much in common and calling for more dialogue with those who share less in common.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem is, I think, that we presumably all accept there are people who do things under the label "Christian" who we don't think really are Christian? (eg. Crusades...psycho guy killing prostitutes to "do the work of God"..whatever)

Which is exactly the same thing as saying one has a restrictive definition (in some sense or other) on what "Christian" means.

I think there are plenty of churches that, for me, fall inside this definition, and plenty that fall outside. However, I wouldn't put it down to any particular denomination.

I know Anglican churches I find to be barely Christian, but yet I currently go to a C of E. I have also been to Baptist, URC and free churches.

For evangelical churches, at least, denomination boundaries are coming down fast, in fact, becoming almost disloyal to their parent denomination, and feeling a greater affilation to other evangelicals.

On the other hand, fundamentalists have trouble believing any other individual's theology is right...let alone a whole organisations.

And liberals I think tend to place a good deal more emphasis on "form" and hence are probably most sensitive to denominational difference. Although they wouldn't say another denomination was non-christian...more just "not for them".

Matt

--------------------
3M Matt.

Posts: 1227 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

- Posted      Profile for Bonzo   Email Bonzo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief,

I've noticed this in a couple of your posts now and I'm wondering what your own opinion is. You have said:

quote:

the church is an identifiable body which has descended from the first century church

but you haven't clearly identified this as your stance.

Is it true that you personally believe orthodoxy (and presumably RC) to be 'special' because the governing body of these churches can trace their lineage back to the early church?

If that is true, why is it true?

--------------------
Love wastefully

mandy
Shipmate
# 403

- Posted      Profile for mandy   Author's homepage   Email mandy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my parents, who are not christians, had me 'christened' in an anglican church, when i was a baby.
they subsequently sent me to sunday school at a baptist church because it was nearest. i chose to be 'baptised' (by which i mean the full immersion thing, rather than the sprinking thing that was done at the christening, which obviously i have no memory of) there, when i was 18.
now i go to a CofE church.
it never occurred to me to have any problem with any of that, and as far as i know, no one else i met at any of the churches i have attended in the interim did either.
but i recently met a new christian who goes to a pentecostal church who told me that some of the people at his church told him that people who are not pentecostals are not 'real christians'. grrrr.
maybe i'm being seriously shallow here, but i always thought the most positive thing about having lots of different denominations was 'different strokes for different folks', and the brand of church/style of service you go to is the one that suits you best. my church does an early sunday morning BCP service which i wouldn't dream of going to because it would bore me to death. equally there are some who would rather stick needles in their eyes than go to the more relaxed, service i go to later in the day.
i'm really interested, and this is not a facetious or rhetorical question - why does it matter?

Posts: 127 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Mandy

If the differences were only about style ... then I would agree with you ... but they are not. Would you feel comfortable praying this prayer?

"Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou amongst women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus
Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death."

I think this goes a little beyond "different strokes for different folks."

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo:
Is it true that you personally believe orthodoxy (and presumably RC) to be 'special' because the governing body of these churches can trace their lineage back to the early church?

If that is true, why is it true?

Hmmm. I don't know about "special."

But the point is that we believe the Orthodox church is, historically speaking, the same church that Christ and the Apostles founded. Not because we woke up in the 19th century and looked around and said, "which is the right church?" but because we believed that in 101 AD and then in 102 AD we believed it too, and in 104 we kept believing it, and then in 105 it was still true, and so forth down to the present. There is no break along the way, there is no point which you can point to and say "before this, this continuing entity was the Church, but after this it wasn't because blah blah blah."

As Josephine said, the RC's are a special case. Either they are in schism from us, or we are in schism from them. Depends which side you ask, of course. [Cool]

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

What basis is there for the claim that organic continuity is the defining feature of the Church? For that matter, what basis is there for the claim that organizational unity is desirable? From diversity comes strength and creativity.

It seems odd to me that any group would claim a parochial status as the sole entity of the Church. Such a claim appears to be self-serving in the near term and self-destructive in the long term. In either case, such a claim is as unwise as it is unfounded.

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Dear Scott

quote:
What basis is there for the claim that organic continuity is the defining feature of the Church? For that matter, what basis is there for the claim that organizational unity is desirable? From diversity comes strength and creativity.

The basis is the basis of your own body Scot. It is that defining sense of self that is represented by your psychosomatic integration notwithstanding the glorious diversity and plasticity of the human organism. I am sure that St. Paul had that in mind in 1 Cor 12. Being one body is no use if the body snatchers take over tomorrow.

quote:
It seems odd to me that any group would claim a parochial status as the sole entity of the Church.
"Parochial status" ... sounds like imported polemic to me. We believe precisely the opposite that continuity in space and time validates universalism. "Catholic" = "towards the whole" (lit.) ... Haeresis = choosing a part ... that's parochial for you.

quote:
Such a claim appears to be self-serving in the near term and self-destructive in the long term. In either case, such a claim is as unwise as it is unfounded.

We can't serve others unless we are comprehensively connected to the Source in space and time. Idiosyncatic elements serve themselves ... not holistic ones. The boot is on the other foot.

Self-destructive? Wouldn't you say that Protestantism's fragmentation into over 25,000 denominations puts the boot on the other foot on that one as well?

Unwise? Folly is to say that we have only just now discovered true Christianity. The ancients were fools ... or in a more measured way, fools FOR US. That's folly!

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting OP - thanks for it.

I believe my theology makes sense. I believe it makes sense for others to believe it. I think other people's theological frameworks are, in a few cases, wrong or deluded, but mostly, validly derived from other experiences then mine. So, understanding that what I know now is only a little of what I will know, I conclude:

• I am a Christian
  • Others who have a different theology then mine are Christian
  • Except those who's theology is so far away from my understanding of Christianity as to preclude them from me labelling them as Christian
I admit to putting less people in the third category then I used to.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the main signs whether Christians accept each other is at the altar, for all the talk and posturing they might have on other issues. I have never felt not accepted in taking communion at any other church, except I have felt uncomfortable in a Catholic church and so therefore stayed in my seat, because I have heard that they don't allow anyone except Catholics to partake. In other churches, I don't usually reveal my denomination, but if I have been asked, I have found nothing but acceptance.

Whether the Catholics intend it or not, such rejection of full communion with other denominations seems to imply that they think other Christians are not truly Christian. Any Catholics on board like to comment on how widespread this is, and whether there are any places which turn a blind eye to this teaching?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

- Posted      Profile for Xavierite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister,

quote:
Can. 844 §1 Catholic ministers may lawfully administer the sacraments only to catholic members of Christ's faithful, who equally may lawfully receive them only from catholic ministers, except as provided in §2, 3 and 4 of this canon and in can. 861 §2.

§2 Whenever necessity requires or a genuine spiritual advantage commends it, and provided the danger of error or indifferentism is avoided, Christ's faithful for whom it is physically or morally impossible to approach a catholic minister, may lawfully receive the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick from non-Catholic ministers in whose Churches these sacraments are valid.

§3 Catholic ministers may lawfully administer the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick to members of the eastern Churches not in full communion with the catholic Church, if they spontaneously ask for them and are properly disposed. The same applies to members of other Churches which the Apostolic See judges to be in the same position as the aforesaid eastern Churches so far as the sacraments are concerned.

§4 If there is a danger of death or if, in the judgment of the diocesan Bishop or of the Episcopal Conference, there is some other grave and pressing need, catholic ministers may lawfully administer these same sacraments to other Christians not in full communion with the catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who spontaneously ask for them, provided that they demonstrate the catholic faith in respect of these sacraments and are properly disposed.

That's from the Code of Canon Law. Hope it clarifies matters.
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

JL,

The canon you cite does not seem to be strictly enforced in all situations, or perhaps it it somehow broadly interpreted.

I have received Communion at a Roman Catholic altar four times in France with the prior approval of the parish priest, in a situation where it would have been extremely impractical (but not absolutely impossible) to receive in an Anglican Church.

More noteworthy are the cases in which former President Clinton in Africa and Presiding Bishop Griswold in New York were given Communion during Roman Catholic Masses. I recall no discipline being imposed upon the priests involved.

Greta

Greta

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

CorgiGreta,

If you choose to disrespect the Catholic Church's teaching on who can receive the Eucharist at our Masses, that's your choice. So a priest approved? As recent events have shown, priests are far from uniformly perfect in following the teachings of their Church.

New York’s Cardinal O’Connor condemned Clinton's illicit reception of Holy Communion. I'm not aware of the other episode, but if someone from a Christian community not approved by the Catholic Church received, then that too was unlawful under Canon Law, as well as a sign of gross disrespect to both the Eucharist and Catholics.

And if you find the Catholic Church's teaching on this matter too hard, perhaps you shouldn't feign any kind of unity with it. Ultimately, of course, it's your soul, so do as you see fit.

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Whether the Catholics intend it or not, such rejection of full communion with other denominations seems to imply that they think other Christians are not truly Christian.

If it seems so to you, then it seems that you implicitly assume the Eucharist is the fundamental way that we acknowledge each other as Christians.

It is not so to me, because I do not accept the implied assumption.

--------------------

Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

quote:

Originally posted by mousethief

But the point is that we believe the Orthodox church is, historically speaking, the same church that Christ and the Apostles founded.

Founded by the Apostles maybe but founded by Christ?

Surely the early christian church was a schism from the temple and synogogues in which Christ worshipped?

--------------------
Love wastefully

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, Greta . I have received in a Roman Catholic church as well, and as I believe in the Real Presence I have no concerns about doing so. The priest where Tony Blair attended Mass didn't seem to worry so much about it either until the press found out!

JL is very much a traditionalist, very conservative, Opus Dei Roman Catholic. I know plenty of Roman Catholics round here - we had two priests at benediction on Sunday in our Anglican church - and I don't honestly recognise much of what he says in their approach, which is far more inclusive and sceptical of the current conservative hierarchy

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Presleyterian:
So I didn't initially interpret the OP as having anything to do with Orthodox ecclesiology. And given the redaction, it doesn't strike me that it does now....

Nor did I. In fact, I guess I sort of assumed that it was a statement from a member of some fundamentamentalist denomination or other.

Rossweisse // actually, it sounded sort of Missouri Synod-ish

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Jesuitical Lad:
CorgiGreta,
...I'm not aware of the other episode, but if someone from a Christian community not approved by the Catholic Church received, then that too was unlawful under Canon Law, as well as a sign of gross disrespect to both the Eucharist and Catholics.....

JL, dear, could you humor me and, when speaking of a Bishop in the Episcopal Church (that would be +Griswold) specify Roman Catholic? 'Cos he IS Catholic as most of us here understand the term.

Thank you!

Rossweisse // not trying to start another fuss, but...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:
I agree, Greta. I have received in a Roman Catholic church as well, and as I believe in the Real Presence I have no concerns about doing so. The priest where Tony Blair attended Mass didn't seem to worry so much about it either until the press found out!

Belief in the Real Presence manifests itself as much in how we approach it as in what we think happens during consecration. I don't want to go any further with this, because I'm in danger of turning an interesting thread Hellish.

Instead, I'll just recommend that you read 1 Corinthians 11 (I know it was written by that nasty homophobe Saint Paul, but give it a go,) and I promise to say a prayer for you.

quote:
JL is very much a traditionalist, very conservative, Opus Dei Roman Catholic.
[Roll Eyes]

quote:
I know plenty of Roman Catholics round here - we had two priests at benediction on Sunday in our Anglican church - and I don't honestly recognise much of what he says in their approach, which is far more inclusive and sceptical of the current conservative hierarchy
I've already addressed your silly approach to Catholicism on the "Forward in Faith" thread, and I have better things to do than repeat myself here.

Rossweisse,

When you read the word "Catholic" in my posts, assume that I mean what an Anglican would mean by "Roman Catholic" unless I specifically say beforehand that I'm using "Catholic" in some other sense. How's that for a compromise?

[Wink]

(Rest assured that your desire not to revisit that particular dispute is wholly shared by me.)

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Silly ' approach - ah, you mean the one which doesn't tally with yours. What insight! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:
'Silly ' approach - ah, you mean the one which doesn't tally with yours. What insight! [Roll Eyes]

No, I mean one which is, to be frank, ignorant. Some anti-Catholics at least educate themselves about what they're going to hate (admittedly, any proper education will generally lead to conversion, but I digress) prior to ranting.

One example of your confusion will suffice: the claims that I'm a "traditionalist" and that I'm a member of Opus Dei are obviously contradictory to anyone who knows anything about the way Opus Dei works in the contemporary Catholic Church, and the nature of the Traditionalist movement.

That said, since this isn't Hell, and I do try to love people even when they drive me nuts: may God bless you, and bring you ever closer to the splendour of His Truth.

[Love]

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Belief in the Real Presence manifests itself as much in how we approach it as in what we think happens during consecration. I don't want to go any further with this, because I'm in danger of turning an interesting thread Hellish.

If someone believes as Roman Catholics do, approaches the sacraments in the same way they do, why do you say "I will pray for your souls" with the clear implication that we will be damned?

With all due respect, I think the number of Roman Catholics who are happy to give communion to Christians who have catholic belief far outnumbers the number of those who think that both those priests who give and those who receive are damned for it.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
quote:

If someone believes as Roman Catholics do, approaches the sacraments in the same way they do, why do you say "I will pray for your souls" with the clear implication that we will be damned?
That's not the implication at all. I do think receiving communion when not in a state of grace and not a member of the Catholic Church is profoundly foolish and dangerous, but it's not my job to say who's damned. When I said I would pray for Merseymike, it was because I want him to see why what he's doing is unacceptable. Where he ends up in the afterlife is a matter for him and God.

quote:
With all due respect, I think the number of Roman Catholics who are happy to give communion to Christians who have catholic belief far outnumbers the number of those who think that both those priests who give and those who receive are damned for it.
Well, I didn't say the latter (rather, I merely implied that it is sinful, which I think it is,) and your former speculation strikes me both as totally groundless and indicative of a failure to understand basic Catholic principles of ecclesiology and sacramental theology. Given this failure, it amazes me all the more that Anglicans are willing to receive in Catholic churches. Is there something wrong with the sacraments on offer in Anglican churches all over the country? Is it possible that subconsciously, you've accepted the Catholic view of Anglican sacraments?

Perhaps not. I'm tempted to think that this behaviour is actually not so much a capitulation to Rome as a continuation of the historical anti-Catholicism - symbolic violence an' all - which has plagued this country since the Reformation. Thankfully I don't suffer from the affliction of thinking that my suspecting something therefore makes it the case.

And to talk about "due respect" in this context is farcical.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016