homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Santa Claus: Should we lie to children? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Santa Claus: Should we lie to children?
gandalf36
Apprentice
# 2672

- Posted      Profile for gandalf36   Email gandalf36   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
I personally think that children are far more intelligent, and bigger realists, than we know. Except for the very little ones,

I laughed when I read this because the opposit is true with our boys. This year my youngest son of 5 years came to us and said (matter of factly) "All dads are Santa". I, who had debated long and hard on this 'Truth of Santa' issue, asked what he meant and he explained that it was impossable for Santa to do all that work.I asked him who told him that and he said no one he just knows.

My oldest son of 10, very similar to one of the other posters in the thread, believes in santa but thinks he has helpers all over the world.

You can imagine the arguments between the two [Big Grin]

As a side note, two years ago I told my oldest that Santa was not real He was heartbroken, in tears and depressed for three days. Untill on Christmas morning he found two presents outside our front door from Santa. Mom saved the day.

Posts: 2 | From: CA USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't be bothered to read this whole thread. [Disappointed]

But I thought you all should know that NORAD believes in Santa.

NORAD Santa-tracking site

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ooktavia
Apprentice
# 3837

- Posted      Profile for Ooktavia   Author's homepage   Email Ooktavia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was probably about 8 when I conciously decided the Father Christmas thing wasn't "real" but I kept my mouth shut for another two years, before the gaffe was blown. I didn't want to (a) disturb my parents, or (b) lose the stocking.
That said, I am 26 now and I *still* get a christmas stocking! When we were 10 and upwards, "Mother Christmas" turned up- she gives my parents *their* christmas stockings.
I don't think finding out about FC will cause children to not beleive in God permanently unless they don't have any more understanding of him than they do of FC. That is, if God isn't made more relevant than once or twice -a-year presents, kids might class God, Jesus et al as in the same class as the tooth fairy etc.
And that's where parents come in- by bringing God- or atheism, or whatever path they have chosen ton walk into everyday life, without brainwashing the kids into the choices they made.

--------------------
By the hungry I will feed you
By the poor I'll make you rich
By the broken I will mend you
Tell me which one is which?
Sydney Carter

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ooktavia:
I am 26 now and I *still* get a christmas stocking!

I'm 40 and I still get a Christmas stocking!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brigham
Apprentice
# 3764

- Posted      Profile for Brigham   Email Brigham   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing I ever got from the Bearded Usurper was my unshakeable belief that Grown-Ups are Lying B------s. The knowledge has served me well, both to-day,and as a child.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016