homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Men and women? Merely different plumbing? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Men and women? Merely different plumbing?
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a follow on from Dyfrig's thread about women priests I want to raise the issue about male and female. I know I am going to get a lot of Jungian animus / anima stuff but I am not that impressed. Nor am I impressed by the argument that the only thing that separates men and women is the shape of their genitals or perhaps what mummy, daddy or my peers role modelled / taught me into.

I submit that there are real embedded differences between men and women deeper than the physical although conditioned by the physical.

I think this is going to be a long thread. (I hope so anyway).

PLEASE KEEP OF WOMEN'S ORDINATION! Save that for Dyfrig's thread.

[ 10. March 2003, 02:12: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry! That should be: "Please keep OFF women's ordination." Please allow us to edit!!!

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I submit that there are real embedded differences between men and women deeper than the physical although conditioned by the physical.

Such as......?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reason
Shipmate
# 648

- Posted      Profile for Reason     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:

I agree with you on this Fr. Gregory. In addition, I think there are real embedded differences between one man and another. And between women. Between races. Between cultures. I'm not like any woman I've ever met, but I'm unlike any man I've met either.

Men tend to be different from women in some specific ways, but those are only tendencies. I know women who are very athletic and competitive and men who are passive and artistic. So, we notice different tendencies between the sexes, but we can make no absolutes.

In the final analysis, all we can say is we've got just one thing in common: We're all human. Other than that, we're all unique.

Posts: 129 | From: Heaven | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are hormonal differences too, but otherwise to say that women are like this and men are like that is a gross over generalization. Just because some women have particular characteristics and some men have other caharcteristics does not mean that all women and all men have such characteristics.

I think that it is a tyranny to impose on all members of a particular sex charaiteristics that are only true of some of them - even if it is a large majority of them.

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yes, i agree with what astro and reason said. for example, women tend to be nurturing... but there are some women i wouldn't trust with a pet, much less a child. men tend to be agressive... unless they conform to that other stereotype and are completely henpecked.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

- Posted      Profile for Gill   Email Gill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooh Father G, I feel so torn...

I have several hunches here, and they disagree with each other. So I'll hold fire till I get a sense of where this thread is going. But I must say, my first reaction is that I can't think of any Scriptural back-up for your theory. Do you have any?

Apart from us being doomed to ritual uncleanness, of course, cos we can't hide periods, although men can deny having wet dreams!

--------------------
Still hanging in there...

Posts: 1828 | From: not drowning but waving... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i deny having wet dreams

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

- Posted      Profile for Gill   Email Gill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AND using an electric floor polisher, no doubt! Hypocrite!

--------------------

Posts: 1828 | From: not drowning but waving... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gill:
.... although men can deny having wet dreams

That depends on who does the laundry!

And that floor polisher thing is just plain scary.

Before getting into differences, are we talking about differences of population norms or individual differences?

When men vs. women are compared as populations, differences are real. But the averages of these two populations for almost any variable are not that far apart, so they have a high degree of overlap. That means that it is easy for us to confuse the issue of population vs. individual because any of us can think of some person that is so far from the group average on some variable that he or she looks to fit the average of the other population.

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

(Thinks: Just shows why that ol' woodchuck thang never caught on in Rome...)

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it safe to say anything without rampant generalising?

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Thought so! Just wondered.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Gill
Shipmate
# 102

Okay FG, what are these differences, please? Give me something to agree or disagree with, please do!!

--------------------

HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course there are differences between people: anatomical, cultural, financial, blah, blah, blah.

Here is the crux of the matter:
Does different mean that it is OK for one of the types to be "normative" and "right," and all other manifestations of humanness to be "inferior"?

Traditionally, male has been considered normal and right, and female has been considered inferior and wrong.

Is difference itself a good thing to be celebrated and embraced, or a bad thing to be ridiculed, exiled, and silenced?

Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nancy - I thought it was male who considered themselves right and female who knew they weren't but let the males go along with it?!
ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Winningham:

Here is the crux of the matter:
Does different mean that it is OK for one of the types to be "normative" and "right," and all other manifestations of humanness to be "inferior"?

That's one crux. But another important one (straying dangerously close to an area which Fr G asked us to avoid) is unwarranted discrimination in important areas such as employment, on the basis not of suitability for the job but of sex alone.

There is a moral imperative (and in some countries a legal one) on employers to select on the basis of suitability of the individual candidates for the job. It is not fair to discriminate on the basis of membership of some group about whom you have a prejudice; i.e. a group who you have pre-judged en masse.

We have women firefighters in Britain now, not because the average woman is as physically strong as the average man, but because the women accepted exceed the Fire Service's minimum requirements for physical strength.

If there were an opportunity for paid employment as a sperm donor (!!!) or a role as a guinea pig in genetic research which required specifically male chromosomes, it would be quite reasonable and acceptable to discriminate against women.

I believe that as an employer the church should be exemplary in this matter. If we wish to employ sperm donors we should not waste money and time interviewing women. If we seek firefighters we should judge applicants on their merits. If we need someone to say the mass ... oops, not allowed to discuss that.

Human rights are based on the christian principles of decency, fairness and justice; they are not a 20th century heresy.

Pt

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we need to be a little more definite about what these "differences" are before this discussion can go any further. Clearly there are biological differences, but are these differences in our human-ness? I don't think, Gregory, that you can ultimately divorce this from the question of women in the priesthodd, given that is the one fundamentally exclusive male preserve within the Church.

So - what are the differences between male and female (not just between individual men and women or groups of them)? And if there is an "ontological" difference between men and women, how can someone taking on the form of one of them save the other without the suggestion that "male" is the top and "female" is a slightly less perfect male? (Is it Lossky or Schmemann (not sure) hwho argues that women are actually saved by Mary and that it is she who introduces the feminien into the Godhead?)

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What we need here is some disagreement. So I don't think that there are basic and fundamental differences between men and women, distinct from their physical make up.

I think, rather, that we have tended through the centuries to identify characteristics as "male" or "female", and so draw artificial distinctions between the genders. This is then reinforced throught further generations, by parental and peer pressure.

We also, as has been mentioned, tend to express character traits differently. Women are "submissive", but men are "Henpecked". Men are "natural leaders", but women are "bossy".

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I am tired and broke and need help ... Please would someone post something I can either agree or disagree with I have ideas but can't quite get them together enough to post something coherent

Tubbs the Tired

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Ok, Tubbs, some controversy - biology and theology prove that men and women are different.

(a) biology - men are physically stronger, and are aggressive, which are necessities in God's createdly violent world;

(b) theology - men have withihn them the image of God, which is Fatherhood. The Father-Son relationship is the primary one at the heart of the universe, therefore the only truly human representation of God is a man.

(c) whereas men as perfect in themselves, the only part of them that requires saving being their moral decisions, women must be saved by becoming less like women. They must be docile, submissive and should not assume any right over a man.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, naturally, Dyfrig, you've hit the nail on the head there. Except for the last one -

quote:
(c) whereas men as perfect in themselves, the only part of them that requires saving being their moral decisions, women must be saved by becoming less like women. They must be docile, submissive and should not assume any right over a man.

I think you have this the wrong way round. It's women who are perfect - after all it was the sin of Adam, remember. Eve's fault was that she was duped, and much of that was down to Adam anyway. So we should all be conformed to Eve's image. Like mainstream protestantism...

Ian

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dryfig,

That's pants and can be disproved by the Bible, In Christ there is no Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male and female and "male and female he created them [in the image of God]"

You'll have to do better than that

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

Actually, said she warming to her theme in the orginal language of the OT, the word used to describe Eve was helper which implies that Eve is equal to Adam and has compliamentary gifts and talents to his.

Tubbs

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

My God, Tubbs! Are you suggesting -...no, you can't be! Are you saying that women are equally the image of God as well??? Or, God forbid, that the God's image is seen in men and women together? You're gonna BUURRRNNNN If women are also in the image of God, what possible ontological difference can there be between them? Away with such heresy.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

I have found my Biblical proof text and I am gonna use use it.

God is our Father and our Mother. The Hebrew word for God is gender neutral. But it gets translated as "He" as it would be disrespectful to describe the "Lord of Lords" as "It". Using the word "She" would be far to radical for most Biblical translators.

Tubbs

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

But Tubbs, don't you see what you're doing? By saying that it's ultimately inappropriate to apply any "gender" to God you're having to force us to rethink whether the words "Father and Son" as 'biological' terms are appropriate to the ontological relationship (as opposed to say, a quasi-legal paradigm of authority and inheritance). And that would make you a member of the congregation of naughty men, as clearly it implies that maleness per se was not essential to Jesus' representation/iconisation of God, and thus we are forced into the totally unacceptable conclusion that the "Christ-representative" at the eucharist has to human, but nothing more specific.

You bad, bad person.

As for you Stowaway, how dare you suggest that those who canonised women preachers and teachers were going against the apostolic tradition?

Bottom line - God likes men, and puts up with women because he has to. Women are inferior. Women cannot be priests. Women are inherently evil. Women are the gateway of the devil! Women? HAH! What are they good for? Absolutely [I]nothing[/]! Believe me, all the problems in the world are either caused by a woman or by someone who knows a woman.

--------------------

ylm
Apprentice
# 873

- Posted      Profile for ylm   Author's homepage   Email ylm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bottom line - God likes men, and puts up with women because he has to

Thanks Dyfrig. I'm wondering where the Blessed Virgin Mary fits in to this?

And from Virgins, to er, not being Virgins. As a broad sweeping generalisation Men are pretty obsessed by sex and Women realise this and use it to hold power over men. By being able to control the distribution of this "thing" that men want and women are able to give, women can make men do what ever they want to. It is, basically, attitudes towards the "sexual act" (as the Anglicans call it) that differentiate men and women in this day and age.

Perhaps.

ylm

--------------------
|| || | || ||
|| || | | | | |
|||| | | | | |
|| | | | |
|| |||||| | |

Posts: 15 | From: In transit | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

Dryfig,

You'll never make it to Swansea at this rate

Is it you who's getting married soon?! Does your wife to be know about these views ....

quote:
But Tubbs, don't you see what you're doing? By saying that it's ultimately inappropriate to apply any "gender" to God you're having to force us to rethink whether the words "Father and Son" as 'biological' terms are appropriate to the ontological relationship (as opposed to say, a quasi-legal paradigm of authority and inheritance). And that would make you a member of the congregation of naughty men, as clearly it implies that maleness per se was not essential to Jesus' representation/iconisation of God, and thus we are forced into the totally unacceptable conclusion that the "Christ-representative" at the eucharist has to human, but nothing more specific.

You may have to explain the word ontological as it sounds medical to me!

But what I'm basically saying this that

• God is our Father and Mother. He loves and nutures us in both ways as both are equally important.

• God gives equal value and love to men and women. He gave us different abilities so we could work together to serve him and each other
  • Historically, it would have been difficult for Jesus to have been a woman. So he came to earth as a man. This doesn't justify sexism within the Church. However it does explain why certain sections of the Church believe that only men can carry out certain roles within the Church. [But I won't go there as I've gone there elsewhere]

So how toasted am I?!

Tubbs

--------------------

BarbaraG
Shipmate
# 399

- Posted      Profile for BarbaraG     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ylm:
As a broad sweeping generalisation Men are pretty obsessed by sex and Women realise this and use it to hold power over men. By being able to control the distribution of this "thing" that men want and women are able to give, women can make men do what ever they want to. It is, basically, attitudes towards the "sexual act" (as the Anglicans call it) that differentiate men and women in this day and age.

Errmmm..... most women want sex too...

I see this as the extreme example of using the general differences between men and women as a prescription of what a man or a woman should be.

In general, it is thought, men have a higher sex drive than women. But take any specific woman, and you may find that she has a higher sex drive than the average man. Or than her partner.

So what do we do to her? We call her a nyphomaniac, because we consider her behaviour inappropriate for a woman. We make her feel like an unwoman. We do this also to women who don't want to be mothers, or who are career-orientated, or who aren't classically beautiful and willowy slim, and IT'S NOT FAIR!!!

And we do it to men who are physically slight, quiet, arty and empathetic. And that's not fair either.

There are lots of difference, on average, between men and women. But we are all individuals, and should be accepted as such, irrespective of how closely we conform to the stereotype of our gender

BarbaraG

--------------------
still trying to make sense of the world

Posts: 143 | From: Nottinghamshire | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

I've never heard such wickedness. The pair of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

ylm - isn't that the Dutch national airline? No matter - as is taught clearly in the gospel*, Mary is accepted as an Apostle by being made an honorary man.

*of Thomas.

Tubbs - you are a fool.. Clearly I am superior to 'frin. That's why she's Host and I'm ....er.....not one.

....yee--eesss. Hmmmm....

(Humour Alert: some of the contents of this thread may be ironic.)

--------------------

ylm
Apprentice
# 873

- Posted      Profile for ylm   Author's homepage   Email ylm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So what do we do to her? We call her a nyphomaniac, because we consider her behaviour inappropriate for a woman. We make her feel like an unwoman. We do this also to women who don't want to be mothers, or who are career-orientated, or who aren't classically beautiful and willowy slim, and IT'S NOT FAIR!!!

And we do it to men who are physically slight, quiet, arty and empathetic. And that's not fair either.

I'm one of the two above, BarbaraG - I agree with you entirely. I just figured that Dyfrig needed some help being controversial.

IMHO, a lot of the time it is only a combination of 'plumbing' (Horrible choice of word, I imagine a man in a boiler suit looking at me and saying "By 'eck, who put *that* in for you!") and social response.

Men - every been caught buying skincare products?
Women - ever ordered a pint and a bag of dry-rosted?

There is no reason for men and women not to do these (and similar) things. But the looks are there; the sly comments and raised eybrows... and it does stink and I do hate it.

But anyway - sexuality - explain

Female masturbation: media presents this as sexy, wicked and glamourous.

Male masturbation: media presents this as pathetic, lonely and sad.

Why?

ylm

--------------------
|| || | || ||
|| || | | | | |
|||| | | | | |
|| | | | |
|| |||||| | |

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

And still no one explains what the word ontological means *sigh*

Tubbs

PS Dryfig - you made me snarf my water

--------------------

Ferg
Shipmate
# 33

- Posted      Profile for Ferg   Author's homepage   Email Ferg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Female vs male masturbation...

Could it be that women are constructed as objects of sexuality and the only objects. So a woman by herself has a toy to play with whereas a man by himself does not?

Ferg

--------------------
He aha te mea nui? He tangata, he tangata, he tangata.

Posts: 141 | From: Auckland, New Zeland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, he does, trust me.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since women between certain ages shed blood regularly this should make them more suitable than men to be priets in a religion based on the shedding of blood by its god.

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

"Ontological" refers the very "is-ness" of something (its "inscape" as G. M. Hopkins) would say; its very essence; what amounts to its "being". I'm not clear how we determine something's ontological nature - I go for ontology derived from seeing what a thing does in action (e.g. we know what sort of God our God is because we believe Jesus is fully representative of God - a loving and saving and sacrificial God.)

Now the way I see it - and this is where my views on this and the priests thread must come together, so please take this as read on the other thread too, and apologies for repetition, but I'm taking the opportunity to clarify my thinking - is this....

if the Catholic (I use this in the broad sense of the agreed, pre-East/West split) Church teaches that - the Second Person of the Trinity became fully human, then just as their is the "ontological" basic Godness about Jesus Christ, then there must be a basic "ontological" basic "human"-ness about him too. The early church, from the Johannine Epistles and Hebrews all the way to the 4th and 5th centuries made the point that he was fully human - because if wasn't fully human, he could save human beings. "What he did not assume he did not save" (Greg Nazianzen? Nyssa? I forget.)

So far so splendid. By this reasoning there is a basic human-ness which Jesus shares with us all - men, women, children, black, white, purple, green, abled and disabled, sexually active or not - which I shall designate for reference only as "H". If this were not so he could only save those (unspecified) limited sub-sets of humanity who shared his nature.

"H" is that thing which is common to all. Although qualified in actual life by various biological and sociological effects, there is an "H"-ness about all of us.

Now, Gregory (Hallam, that is, Gregory Nazianzen being dead and unable to participate in this thread) asked the question whether there are any real differences between men and women.

Now, we can think of examples between a particular man and a particular woman - e.g. 'frin is much brighter than me and much more tolerant.

We can think of social differences - women do communicate more freely and deeply than men, it seems, though whether this is ontological or cultural I do not know. Consider for a moment the depth of friendship between David and Jonathan, "Greater than the love of women", suggesting that it was very different from the usual male inter-relationship.

And we can physically see differences - different bumps, different ways of peeing. (Tho' I'm well aware that early in pregnancy there is one piece of anatomy that then become either a penis or a clitoris).

But are these differences, whether we acknowledge them or not, ontolgocial? Do they effect our basic "H"-ness?

If they do, then orthodoxy (with a little and a bit O) has a problem: what he did not assume he did not save. If there is an element of "H"-ness which is different between male and female, then could Incarnation as one of these sub-sets be truly fully human? You create two types of "H" - HM and HW.

If there are parts of "H" which Jesus Christ did not have - e.g. he didn't have an ontological HW-ness - then surely he did not, could have saved HW-ness. Making male/female differences leads to the unacceptable conclusion that those who did not have the HM of Jesus Christ had (rahter than just H) were not saved.

Equally, if one were to argue that a priest is Christ's representative, then anyone with H can represent him - and I mean, anyone. Anyone having "H". But to say that a woman cannot be the icon of Christ is again to run up against "what he did not assume he cannot save", because if there is such an ontological difference between the H of a man and the H of a woman that a woman cannot represent someone who is purportedly fully H, then the person being represented is, ipso facto, not fully H. He is only HM - and that is not fully human.

So - yes, there probably are differences BUT they are not so fundamental to the universe as to require the creation of institutional differences.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Spotted a fairly fundamental typo; one clause should read:

"- then surely he did not, could not have saved HW-ness."

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

Thank you.

Thbbs

--------------------

ylm
Apprentice
# 873

Dyfrig,

So what you're saying - using, for some reason, algebra and sut theory - is that men and women are both human, but are different kinds of human. And it is the taking on of humanity, not of a particular gender, was Christ's important act. The M and W attributes are simply that - attributes of a object rather than an object.

Thank you for clearing that up. Are you an Anglican, by any chance?

ylm (never say in 50 words what you can say in 700)

--------------------
|| || | || ||
|| || | | | | |
|||| | | | | |
|| | | | |
|| |||||| | |

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Yes - and I'm also a lawyer.

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Dear Dyfrig

Quote:-

? (Is it Lossky or Schmemann (not sure) who argues that women are actually saved by Mary and that it is she who introduces the feminine into the Godhead?)

GH: This is not Orthodox doctrine and is not taught by either theologian, (and I have read a lot of their works not unsurprisingly).

As to the question ... I'll ask another one ...

Why do transgendered individuals frequently justify their desires to "be" the opposite sex in terms such as "I have always been a woman. I want to be a woman, Help me be a woman, (& vice versa).

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:

Why do transgendered individuals frequently justify their desires to "be" the opposite sex in terms such as "I have always been a woman. I want to be a woman, Help me be a woman, (& vice versa).

I don't know any personally, but I get the impression they want to change gender, not sex.

(Gender being the cultural milieu associated by a particular socioety with a particular sex).

Surgery to the sex organs doesn't alter chromosomes. It will affect hormonal balance but it won't change from a typical male mix of hormones to a typical female one, (a eunuch's voice is quite different to a woman's) and it certainly won't introduce monthly cycles.

I think they want to feel feminine, and be perceived as a woman.

But - as always - I may be wrong.

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The plumbing goes deep ...

Castrate a man and he becomes virtually harmless. Literally soft. It's the greatest cure for baldness and aggressive sexuality.

Testosterone is as powerful in it's own way, more so perhaps, than oestrogen and progesterone - the latter being the cause of PMS/T and much, much, more besides ... all sorts of funny behaviour.

The amount of skin a woman exposes is directly correlated with her implantability, the call of the wild ovum is awesome.

Testosterone's power is such that it shrivels the corpus collosum between the cerebral hemispheres and men are incapable, absolutely incapable, of multitasking as the result of it.

The best man isn't as good as the worst woman, intellect being equal.

The focus that testosterone brings is complemented by men's narrower visual field and allows the risk taking that benefits otherwise intellectually equal men and women in exam situations, which is why more men get firsts than women. And more thirds.

Multitasking in a primary child carer has survival benefits.

It is a myth that boys are more immature than girls. Boys mature psychologically just as fast but their bodies don't catch up so that they will not have to be physically put down in competition with older males, who therefore tolerate their otherwise competitive personalities. In girls the opposite is true, they become superficially 'little women' that their minds can expand in to the role of woman by being treated like one - hopefully at a crucial distance.

All of this is genetic.

We are biologically imperative - haunted - machines.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

Dryfig? DRYFIG???

Freudian or wot?!?!

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

The plumbing does indeed go deep and whether it's gender or sex the sense of being a woman or feminine or a man or masculine is not an inconsequential matter. They are not interchangeable in the sense of being congruent. The incongruence of the sexes exists notwithstanding their absolute human equality.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig:
And we can physically see differences - different bumps, different ways of peeing. (Tho' I'm well aware that early in pregnancy there is one piece of anatomy that then become either a penis or a clitoris).

Many remarkable things happen to a woman's body during pregnancy, but nothing that weird.

You mean that early in gestation there is one piece....

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAaaaaaa

Father Gregory, has anyone ever reported you to the Plain English Society? I mean, give me a sporting chance of disagreeing! I can't understand a word of that last one! LOL

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Dear Gill

I assume that this is the phrase (particularly) that you can't understanD-

"They (sic, the sexes) are not interchangeable in the sense of being congruent."

"Congruent" is a term from mathematics. It refers to the absolute identicality of 2 shapes such that one superimposed over the other will not lead to overlap.

I am saying that male / maleness and female / femaleness are equal in dignity and status but not congruent in their respective human profiles .... and I don't mean just the "plumbing" (Dyfrig)!

I started the other thread on "plumbing" i order to expose this to debate, (where he it would just get lost in equal opportunities).

This raises another interesting issue. (It may start as another thread if I think it useful).

I submit that there are two types of Christian feminists (or feminist Christians). The Elaine Storkey variety (Protestant) where gender is incidental to be human human and where equal opportunities largely conditions the ordination debate, and the Rosemary Radford Ruether variety (Catholic) where gender / sexuality imparts vital differences which lead to new conceptions of God.

Although the Storkey version is less radical, I actually prefer the Ruether approach, NOT because I agree with her theology (goddess etc ... I am closer to Storkey on that one) but because at least the Ruether heresies are sacramental. She isn't blind to gender. She argues womens' case from their distinctive aspects. These then get fed into ministry, worship and how we speak of and relate to God.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

splodge
Shipmate
# 156

- Posted      Profile for splodge   Email splodge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, so if gender differences are all down to cultural traits, this begs the question -
why did such a gender-culture develop in the first place?
Answer - because in human prehistory when ecological and biological realities were paramount and made all the difference to society, then the biological diffences between males and females necessarily resulted in different and very clearly demarcated social roles for each gender
Okay, heres my theory of men and women:
The "averge" men are has been primarily been shaped oven aeon by the needs of mammoth hunting and tribal warfare.
Traits of physical strengh, aggression and
emotional rigidity and the ability to pee standing up were all important and naturally selected and promoted by evolution for their role in the mammoth hunt etc. By their very nature these traits tend to lead to domination of the whole human group: later of course the domination became institutionalised; but domination need not be bad for the dominated pe se, but it allows a lot of bad things to happen.
What were the women doing when men were chasing mammoths and fighting other tribes? Everything else, like today when their men go out playing sport (the modern equivalent of chasing mammoths etc)Women managed the family make most of the groups goods, and probably located most of it food needs (shopping is the modern equivalent of gathering berries in the forest) and they also crucially transmitted culture and language. The latter happened as they sat around in the cave in collective huddles constantly discussing their personal and relationship problems without those nasty men being present (as they still do today)
Come on girls, even if you won't admit it, it is what you really want isn't it? Instinctively you want men who still have the traits of hunky, strong, confident, slightly sweaty, mammoth hunters and warriors.
(hands up you heterosexual ladies who didn't half fancy Russel Crowe in the film Gladiator?)
You just ask that your warrior male is also (slightly paradoxically) very caring and loving too.
.The modern world needs different traits and arguably has had enough of hunters and warriors, so that is why feminism is absolutely right now, but would have been damn silly in ancient times.

--------------------
Splodge

Posts: 145 | From: Newport | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016